Sherrod Brown’s Chevy Senate campaign commercial

posted at 8:12 pm on November 2, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

BOWLING GREEN, OH —On the airwaves in Ohio, brought to you by the party that reminds you at every turn how deeply concerned it is about corporatism:

While furrowing their brows over how involvement by corporations is hastening the fall of our election system, Democrats bring you a Senate ad that’s even more cloying and obvious than those clumsy product placements in primetime shows where your leads are engaging in witty banter with mild sexual tension until the dashboard inexplicably dings and the male lead points out how the new computerized console lets you know when you’re following too closely and the female lead nods approvingly before shifting back to banter and expository case details.

Brown released the ad some time ago, but I hadn’t seen it until I got on the ground here. If only Josh Mandel had had $60 billion in other people’s money to throw at a iconic American corporation. And, oops, the wheels aren’t made in Ohio.

A good read from Tim Carney is worth reprising here, now that all over the country, corporatism dressed up for Halloween as populism.

Mandel, the state’s treasurer, has a new ad out in the closing days of the election: “Integrity”

The RCP average puts Brown up five.

Comments

Cheezy, cheezy, cheezy. Would you buy a used car from this man?

TXUS on November 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Can we get a version of the Brown ad with Mentos music dubbed over it?

fiatboomer on November 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM

And, oops, the wheels aren’t made in Ohio.

And the engine is made in Germany.

Mark

mailmars on November 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I’m a compulsory investor in GM, and I do not approve of this message.

hillbillyjim on November 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM

…where’s the Delphi people?

KOOLAID2 on November 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM

How many jobs did he protect when he voted for Obamacare?
Vote him out!

anotherJoe on November 2, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I’d have challenged him to start it.

Mason on November 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I’m glad that MKH has the photo up with the arrows and the name tags clearly marked because otherwise it would have been really difficult to distinguish between the two inanimate piles of junk.

thatsafactjack on November 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM

If I put Josh Mandel and Sherrod Brown next to each other and asked people to pick the guy that sounded like he could be trusted I think nearly every person would pick Mandel. This should be easy for Ohio.

goflyers on November 2, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Last week, when I cruised the west side of Cincinnati, I saw Mandel signs everywhere, right alongside the Romney signs and saw only one Brown sign. Today when I reluctantly had to visit the east side, (liberal Clifton) I saw hardly any signs at all, and that’s a good sign. If Romney wins Ohio, Mandel will too.

Norky on November 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM

NEW CHEVY VOLT AD CAMPAIGN

I paid $40,000 for this p.o.s. Volt!
*FACEPALM*
I could’ve had a V8

Glenn Jericho on November 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM

So, who gets the slightly used car with the bumper sticker glue still on the bumper sold to them as new.

cobrakai99 on November 2, 2012 at 8:54 PM

NEW CHEVY VOLT AD CAMPAIGN

I paid $40,000 for this p.o.s. Volt!
*FACEPALM*
I could’ve had a V8

Glenn Jericho on November 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I like it.

The “investment” that Uncle Sam made for me, against my will, in Government Motors? …

… not so much.

hillbillyjim on November 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM

GM is dead to me.

I might end up with more campaign ribbons and commendations, but I’ll never end up with a Chevy.

Think about it; that’s quite a feat for a President.

M240H on November 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Sadly, the same people that voted for Kucinich for decades will vote for Brown. I hope Mandel wins as it might just help turn this place around! Kasich is doing a great job so far.

Taximom on November 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Ohio has a habit of electing crooks, RINOs, nut jobs, and idiots. Traficant and Taft were crooks. Kucinich is a nut job. DeWine, LaTourette, and Voinovich are RINOs, Brown is an idiot.
Let’s hope the people of Ohio can get this one right and elect Mandel.

Deanna on November 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM

GM is dead to me.

Think about it; that’s quite a feat for a President.

M240H on November 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Yep. Me too. I’ve owned GM trucks, and Chevy cars, but never again. Next time I buy new it will be a foreign-owned manufacturer that has the highest American-made content models.

slickwillie2001 on November 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Also, his wife has her own fan club who will support him. Former Plain Dealer journalist, Connie Schultz.

Taximom on November 2, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Brown is a true POS. The racist garbage that animal is constantly spewing, shows you the true heart of the liberal who would vote for him! So many hateful animals in the ranks of Democrat Libs, it’s just a KKK Rally without the pointy hats.
Addendum on the fight against Obama’s Enemy media: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on November 2, 2012 at 9:21 PM

When I met Josh Mandel when he was running for State Treaurer of Ohio back in 2010, he looked so young for his age. I shook his hand and wished his father the best of luck in his election.

That got him laughing.

He is a good man and the ad above is right on.

An infinitely better man than that POS statist he is running against.

KirknBurker on November 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Think about it; that’s quite a feat for a President.

Oh, you poor thing, such a victim. If only the automakers had failed, decimating the heart of the American manufacturing base and allowing the Asians and Germans to take complete control of the global auto market. At least Americans would be permitted to manufacture Toyotas for this market, just as the locals do powerhouse nations such as Mexico and Vietnam.

With manufacturing job growth faring so well over the last 20 years, you know that those lost jobs would have been trivial- especially with conservatives doing so much innovation in this country!

bayam on November 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM

God Bless America!

paratisi on November 2, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I just noticed you used POS about Brown right after I posted.

He just …is.

KirknBurker on November 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Deanna on November 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Mandel could be Prez someday.

KirknBurker on November 2, 2012 at 9:33 PM

bayam on November 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Bayam,

O bailed out only a couple jobs in Ohio in the auto industry. By bailing out GM, in fact O bailed out the jobs mostly in other countries.

GM is not the company you think it is.

It is NOT an American company anymore.

It is a worldwide corporate group whose loyalties really are not anywhere near as tight with this country.

Remember, O is a corporatist, not a capitalist. He loves big multinationals when they play ball.

KirknBurker on November 2, 2012 at 9:37 PM

bayam on November 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM

False premise and ridiculous assertions.

You make a damn fine librul.

Sieg heil comrade yosef

tom daschle concerned on November 2, 2012 at 9:39 PM

bayam on November 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Half-wit where within those lines did I present my self as a victim? Where did I did I advocate destruction of the auto industry? Why do you drones never mention Ford? Why do Liberals refuse.to acknowledge the reality that in a global economy, manufacturing labor is a commodity that is sold and purhased much like any oher commodity? And why do you fail to see that only market demand can drive innovation?

And why do you persist in these juvenile displays of ignorance again and again?

M240H on November 2, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I am so glad that after giving a trillion dollar gift to a company it is finally only losing money at the rate of 46,000 a car and the stock is half what it would take to pay America back. If Mitt is elected they may some day get there by building cars people actually want. If Sherrod Brown is reelected he will just keep throwing money down a rat hole and that is not what you want to fill up a rat hole with

pwb on November 2, 2012 at 10:42 PM

A conventional bankruptcy would have been far healthier for the nation. Both for GM and those damn investment banks that defrauded the entire world.

pat on November 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Why do you drones never mention Ford?

What’s to mention. Ford testified before Congress that if GM and Chrysler failed, Ford would fold within 90 days as their largest supplies went bankrupt.

…manufacturing labor is a commodity that is sold and purhased much like any oher commodity? And why do you fail to see that only market demand can drive innovation?

Germany builds twice as many cars as the US, with an average labor rate of over $60 per hour. Apparently German labor isn’t the commodity you describe.

Innovation occurs at many levels, including corporations, research universities, startups, and privately and publicly funded R&D facilities. The internet didn’t emerge because the market demanded it.

bayam on November 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM

bayam on November 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I guess you’re a sucker for the “Ad hoc, post hoc” (“After this…because of this”) fallacy!!! So you must think that the crow of the rooster makes the sun come up, and that the arrival of the bus makes the clock in the tower strike twelve.

You are doomed to experience a lot of nasty surprises in your life.

Me, I’m a lot pickier about what I’ll accept as arguments and evidence.

——
I used to buy Buicks…almost exclusively. But Obama stole GM from its rightful owners (including thousands of pension plans) in the manner of a banana republic dicatator, turned it into “Government Motors,” and forced it to build the ridiculous VOLT (unsalable at any price). And then the Obama-appointed head of GM lied to the public claiming that a small payment on the money stolen from the US Treasury meant that GM had paid back the entire “loan”???

So I’ll NEVER buy a GM vehicle again!!!

landlines on November 2, 2012 at 11:17 PM

German labor isn’t the commodity you describe.

bayam on November 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Hey bam-bam. If you bend over a little bit more, you’ll probably be LEANING FORWARD, and you’ll also end up with a little bit more than you expected shoved up your brainhole.

hillbillyjim on November 2, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Sherrod would have been better off dressing up as Dinah Shore and belting out the old “See the USA” Chevy commercial.

jon1979 on November 3, 2012 at 12:06 AM

bayam on November 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM

No matter that you predicate your argument upon this article, it doesn’t change the truth of my assertion that manufacturing labor is a commodity. You cite an anomolous product in the marketplace. I.E.., there is a hell of a difference between the union workers at a Daimler plant in Germany and those at a U.S. Chrysler plant where 25% of the waged,.union employees are absent every work day. Apparently, the UAW cannot produce the type of worker for which there is a demand. They can, however, make consistent payoffs to the Democratic machine. FAIL

To iterate that Ford executives stated some realities of their supply environment is to answered an unasked question. Again, i did not advocate the destruction of the auto industry. FAIL

The internet didn’t emerge because the market demanded it.

Of course it did. The initial demand came from university researchers; it exists in its’ present form due to commercial demand. Whether the money that funds the existence is from research grants or John Doe’s Master Card, demand has been the impetus for every expansion. Innovation in the absence of demand is nothing more than a vanity and a misplaced opportunity cost. Your assertion is ignorance writ small. FAIL

M240H on November 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Will people in Ohio split their vote between Romney and Brown? If Romney wins Ohio, doesn’t that mean that Mandel will also win?

cptacek on November 3, 2012 at 1:34 AM

bayam on November 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Dude, when a large corporation files bankruptcy, they don’t shut the doors and send everybody home, Øbama’s shrill demagoguery not withstanding. The court comes in and manages the company’s finances. They cut costs and get the company back on sound financial footing. In the case of GM, both the unions and management would have had to make tough choices to meet the demands of the court.

The way Øbama did it was to force only management to make compromises so he could protect his union benefactors. He screwed those who had made a legal investment out of their money to protect his buddies. He violated centuries of contract law in the process. The precedent that set will do untold damage to our economy for decades to come. No longer will investors have confidence that any guarantees promised on their investments will be honored. The government now has the power to wipe those out by fiat. Our economy is powered by investment in business. If that becomes too risky, the economy will collapse.

Odysseus on November 3, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Bayam, “Bankruptcy” can be a forced liquidation of all assets (Chapter 7), or a reorganization under court supervision (Chapters 13 and 11). You are the only moron talking about a Chapter 7.

Please quit being a dumbass and educate yourself. You’re just sounding like a troll . . .

. . . and not a very smart one.

BigAlSouth on November 3, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Nothin’ personal mind you, but Brown’s commercial is about as ‘vacant‘ ‘phony’ as is the missing license plate on that Chevy is is ‘driving away’…..

It’s not nice to insult the voters……….

Pecozbill on November 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM

This commercial makes me nauseous every time I see it.

ConDem on November 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM

. . . and not a very smart one.

BigAlSouth on November 3, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Spinach boy says he works in the banking business!

I think he’s responsible for polishing those brass posts in the lineup.

slickwillie2001 on November 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Brown is an embarassment to the state every time he opens his mouth. I’ve already voted for Mandel and wish I could go again on Tuesday just to vote against this moron.

I keep getting his ads on Facebook,and everytime, I block them as “offensive” or “against my views.” It doesn’t stop the Brownsanity,but it makes me feel a little better.

Also, I have a question: with all the screaming about Romney “would have let the American auto industry go bankrupt,” was I just imagining that GM actually DID go bankrupt, only after taking billoions from the U.S. taxpayer? With an actual businessman in charge of the proceedings, we would likely have a stronger GM, with cars that people actually wanted to buy.

arik1969 on November 3, 2012 at 9:59 PM

This ad has been out for a long time. The funniest thing is that soon after the ad was released, Chevy announced a recall on the Cruz because it was catching on fire!!

golfballs03 on November 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM

pwb on November 2, 2012 at 10:42 PM

What *do* you fill up a rat hole with? I have some ideas, and they involve liberals who have been voted out of office……..

GWB on November 5, 2012 at 8:45 AM