Quotes of the day

posted at 10:17 pm on November 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

After more than a year of campaigning, endless political advertisements, two conventions and four debates, the presidential election is almost over. The big decision of 2012 will soon be in the hands of the voters. The choice Americans make will shape great things, historic things, and those will determine the most important and intimate aspects of every American life and every American family. All presidential elections matter. This one matters a great deal.

It matters to the senior who needs medical care but, thanks to ObamaCare, can’t find a doctor who is taking new Medicare patients. It matters to the men and women who once had good-paying jobs with benefits but now work part-time with no benefits just to put food on the table. It matters to the college student graduating this spring with a heavy load of debt and few opportunities to pay it back. It matters to the single mother who lives in fear of foreclosure as her employment prospects dwindle…

This requires a different direction, a change from the course of the past four years. It requires that we put aside the small and the petty, and demand the scale of change that we deserve: real change, big change. I pledge that my presidency will bring about that kind of change—confronting the problems that politicians have avoided for over a decade, revitalizing our competitive economy, modernizing our education system, restoring our founding principles.

***

An Obama second term means that the movement toward European-style social democracy continues, in part by legislation, in part by executive decree. The American experiment — the more individualistic, energetic, innovative, risk-taking model of democratic governance — continues to recede, yielding to the supervised life of the entitlement state.

If Obama loses, however, his presidency becomes a historical parenthesis, a passing interlude of overreaching hyper-liberalism, rejected by a center-right country that is 80 percent nonliberal.

Should they summon the skill and dexterity, Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan could guide the country to the restoration of a more austere and modest government with more restrained entitlements and a more equitable and efficient tax code. Those achievements alone would mark a new trajectory — a return to what Reagan started three decades ago.

***

Poll after poll, I generally see the same thing. Romney has an edge on the economy. That includes most of the state polls…

I do not know of an election where the electorate was so singularly focused on one set of issues, and the person trusted less on them nevertheless won…

Is it possible to win a presidential election while losing the independent vote? Sure. The independents basically split down the middle in 2000 and 2004, which left the outcome up to the relative strengths of the two party bases. But that is not what I see right now. Instead, I see a Romney margin among independents that ranges between 5 and 10 points. Prior to the 1980s, I could see the Democrats overcoming that, but not in 2012…

[T]his is a different approach than the poll mavens will offer. They are taking data at face value, running simulations off it, and generating probability estimates. That is not what this is, and it should not be interpreted as such. I am not willing to take polls at face value anymore. I am more interested in connecting the polls to history and the long-run structure of American politics, and when I do that I see a Romney victory.

***

Early voting is the best indicator we have for base enthusiasm. The weeks of early voting that now precede Election Day are the best chance for Democrats to win elections. This is not a time when undecided or even many persuadable voters go to the polls, but instead partisans show their ardor.

The latest Pew study and a slew of others show that what had been a huge advantage for Obama has been erased and maybe even reversed…

Romney leads widely among the most passionate voters – 9 points in the most recent Politico/George Washington University survey of battleground state voters – and Republicans have managed to match Democrats when it comes to contacting voters directly.

Team Obama staked nearly as much on ground game superiority and getting out the vote as it did on the “kill Mitt” strategy. Again, the Blue Team did not deliver.

***

Obama is in big trouble in Wisconsin. He is spending his last weekend in a state that last went Republican in the 1984 Reagan landslide.

Team Romney is going hard after Pennsylvania because both internal and public polling show significant movement toward Romney in recent days. Yesterday, Rep. Ryan and Sen. Marco Rubio drew large and enthusiastic crowds in Pennsylvania. On Sunday, Romney will hold a campaign rally in the Philadelphia suburbs. Who would have thought that Obama would spend the last days of the campaign defending a solidly blue state, while Romney makes a play for another one?

***

So assume:

(a) Total PA turnout is up 3% over 2008. Philly County comprises 11.5% of total PA electorate (similar to 2004, less than 2008).

(b) Romney wins non-Philly county 54-46. (Slightly better than Bush ’04, who won 52.5 to 47.5)

Then:

Obama MUST net 433k votes out of Philly County to win. In 2008 he netted 478k votes. In 2004 Kerry netted 410k votes. In 2000 Gore netted 350k votes.

Tweak the assumptions to lower Philly turnout, increase non-Philly turnout, increase Romney share of non-Philly. And Keystone State goes red.

***

Obama may need to do something Democrats have almost never done in the past nine decades: win a higher share of the vote in [Ohio] than he does nationally. Almost always, the GOP nominee has run stronger in Ohio than nationally. That’s not entirely surprising in a place that served as one of the birthplaces of the Republican Party and where two native sons, William McKinley and his legendary political strategist Mark Hanna, stamped the GOP’s modern identity as the pro-business party of small government in the realigning election of 1896.

Since 1924, the only Democratic presidential nominees who attracted a higher share of the popular vote in Ohio than nationally were Lyndon Johnson in 1964, Hubert Humphrey in 1968, George McGovern in 1972, and Kerry in 2004. And of those four, only Johnson (at 1.8 percentage points) improved on his national vote by more than 0.6 percentage points in Ohio. Since World War II, the Democratic presidential nominee has carried, on average, almost exactly 1 percentage point less of the popular vote in Ohio than he did nationally.

That’s obviously a challenging precedent for Obama, who is running at best even with Romney, if not trailing slightly, in most credible national surveys. Even Obama, while winning Ohio comfortably in 2008, drew 51.4 percent of the vote here, pointedly less than his 52.8 percent national showing. All of that suggests Obama would be defying history to take Ohio in an election where he wins the national popular vote by a hair, or tries to amass an Electoral College majority while losing the popular vote altogether. “Relying on Ohio is not where you want to be as a Democrat,” says Terry Nelson, the national field director in 2004 for George W. Bush, who clinched the presidency by defeating the Democratic nominee in Ohio by 118,000 votes after an epic investment from both sides. “I would not be sleeping well.”

***

***

***

“The door to a brighter future is there, open, waiting for us. I need your vote, I need your help. Walk with me, walk together. Let us start anew.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 12 13 14 15

Night Owl on November 3, 2012 at 4:35 AM

He’s got a problem.

thatsafactjack on November 3, 2012 at 4:37 AM

I bid you all goodnight. Its been a pleasure. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on November 3, 2012 at 4:38 AM

By the way, SOCALCON, thanks for proving I was right in my earlier assessment of you.

thatsafactjack on November 3, 2012 at 4:39 AM

Night Owl on November 3, 2012 at 4:27 AM

I can see mistaking the two at a fast glance. No problem.

The Gingerbread flavor is not real strong – but they are very sweet…much more so than the regular. But I do like them. I hope your Mom enjoys them.

I’ve got to go to bed. The dogs are going to wake me up too early as it is. They don’t seem to understand sleeping in,

Night all.

Solaratov on November 3, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Most service personnel have a great deal of class and will acknowledge someone thanking them for their service with dignity and genuine warmth.

One shrill voice shouldn’t detract from that at all.

thatsafactjack on November 3, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Dam good to know. Presumably some folks just don’t fit the mold. Generally leave shrillness to Birds. (Ck Ausie and Brit vernacular)Aint got nun u dat cless lik dem fuks on di opper yeast side

kenny on November 3, 2012 at 4:47 AM

Kenny

This one’s got a thin skin and cloaks herself in self-righteous hypocrisy

You know… all in all, that’s the third time you’ve been an insulting jerk.

I’d suggest you might lay off the drink, or take some ‘meds’.

thatsafactjack on November 3, 2012 at 4:25 AM

socalcon on November 3, 2012 at 5:00 AM

socalcon on November 3, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Who dat? Big Nurse

kenny on November 3, 2012 at 5:03 AM

You know… all in all, that’s the third time you’ve been an insulting jerk.

I’d suggest you might lay off the drink, or take some ‘meds’.

thatsafactjack on November 3, 2012 at 4:25 AM

One has to admit. Nicely couched!

kenny on November 3, 2012 at 5:05 AM

socalcon on November 3, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Who dat? Big Nurse

kenny on November 3, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Remark not directed toward you socalcon. Thanks for reinforcing my observation

kenny on November 3, 2012 at 5:15 AM

socalcon on November 3, 2012 at 5:00 AM

So, you’re exactly the cowardly little jerk I pegged you for. A real hit and run artist.

You’re pathetic.

thatsafactjack on November 3, 2012 at 5:31 AM

You know… all in all, that’s the third time you’ve been an insulting jerk.

I’d suggest you might lay off the drink, or take some ‘meds’.

thatsafactjack on November 3, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Only three times? Pay closer attention– Im pretty much always a jerk, Jackie, without the aid of alcohol or prescriptive medication. My goal is closer to ridicule, than insult.

All in all… Funny phrase, that… If you’d care to revisit the ‘closing arguments’ posts that made up your response… You insinuate I’d retreated from your ‘challenge’ to my post. Ah, would this were 18th century France, steel at dawn would settle the rancor from this insult! Taken as a whole, your ‘outrageous outrage’ had a most Liberal flavor.

Even recalling ‘an earlier post on a QOTD thread, ( I suspect my comments regarding the near childish ‘pursuit’ of the 5000th final debate post- and a mental image of the home life of one of the ‘competiters’ as they missed each milestone) my ‘insult’ drew conjecture that I might even be a stalker! My, how self absorbed we are– but, the insult is again on the other foot, eh fair Jackie?

Finally, as I’ve posted for Night Owl, most of what is written is cr@p. As such, it should be summarily ignored. Henceforth, that will be my course of action for you, dear Jackie.

socalcon on November 3, 2012 at 5:34 AM

socalcon on November 3, 2012 at 5:34 AM

I’m so glad you put that in writing. It will save me a great deal of trouble.

thatsafactjack on November 3, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Does anyone else here comment using an iPhone? I do, and these full-page ads are especially problematic for me. They are sometimes very difficult to close because when you pinch to zoom or zoom out it can be next to impossible to find the “close” option on the ad.

bluegill on November 3, 2012 at 5:41 AM

Jackie, thank you for taking on Gumpoke. By the time I get on here and read all the posts most everyone has left the building. I could not believe his disgusting laughter regarding Benghazi. That was truly vile, but frankly, it is what I expect from radicalized liberals. Thanks again.

JannyMc on November 3, 2012 at 5:42 AM

Mitt Romney looks and sounds like a winner.

Grace_is_sufficient on November 3, 2012 at 5:43 AM

By the way, this voice-to-text feature on the iPhone is great. I leave comments with it no matter I am. People in line behind me at the store might wonder sometimes why I keep talking about trolls.

I wouldn’t mind seeing an app for this site. Just please don’t transition to Facebook commenting.

bluegill on November 3, 2012 at 5:45 AM

You’re pathetic.

thatsafactjack on November 3, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Describe pathetic

kenny on November 3, 2012 at 5:45 AM

Charles Woodson was a much bigger deal endorsing Obama

That’s the dumbest thing you’ve said, which is really saying something. Woodson a much bigger deal? ROFL! And, this is Packer football and this is Wisconsin. You better damn well believe the younger voters know who Starr is.

kit9 on November 3, 2012 at 5:51 AM

Dear God (or, if you’re too busy, Ed or Allahpundit),

I know if I promised to never do it again, and to write 1,000 times on the whiteboard ‘I will never be an insulting jerk again’, I may persuade you that I shouldn’t be banned for insulting/ offending/ ridiculing the mighty Jackie…
___________
Sorry, can’t finish this.

Anyone wants to post rants against me or insinuate criminal behavior by me– be forewarned. I will effort to defend my posts. On the other hand, if my posts are threatening, by all means, protect the integrity of the community and safety of the participants and report those posts. Don’t threaten to report them– report them.

Highest Regards, socalcon

socalcon on November 3, 2012 at 5:55 AM

Seems like the east coast early risers are running into the west coast night owls.

‘Mornin’, night owls! ;-)

Grace_is_sufficient on November 3, 2012 at 5:56 AM

The Republicans on the Senate Budget Committee report that since the president’s inauguration, the number of people with jobs has grown by 0.15 percent and the number on food stamps has grown by 46 percent. So for every new person with a job, there are 75 new people getting food stamps.

bayview on November 3, 2012 at 6:48 AM

bayview on November 3, 2012 at 6:48 AM

That should be enough to bury Obama right there…but a lot of those people on food stamps will vote for him..That is what dependence does to people.

Terrye on November 3, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Good morning everybody.

Happy News: R&R rally in SW Ohio draws 30,000 people. Dear Leader’s rally in Oiho… no so much (not quite 5,0000 people).

And here’s your inspirational poster for your computer:

CPT. Charles on November 3, 2012 at 7:04 AM

the weekend will not go for obummer. today the airwaves are filling up with stories about a devasted Long Island.
brian kilmeads (fox news) house was flooded. He relates that Fema can’t get to his neighborhood because they ran out gas.
alot of unhappy forgotten people, fodder for local news, the national media following.

folks this is big. and getting bigger. romney in a landslide.

renalin on November 3, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Good morning everybody.

CPT. Charles on November 3, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Good morning from the morning crew! May that wave of enthusiasm spread to PA, IA and WI this weekend. Watching it last night was mesmerizing…

hillsoftx on November 3, 2012 at 7:11 AM

folks this is big. and getting bigger. romney in a landslide.

renalin on November 3, 2012 at 7:10 AM

And there is no positive jobs report to blunt the coverage of Obama’s Katrina moment.

I agree: Romney in a landslide.

Grace_is_sufficient on November 3, 2012 at 7:25 AM

I think we are going to the rally for Romney in Dubuque today, instead of the game!

herm2416 on November 3, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Mitt Romney looks and sounds like a winner.

Grace_is_sufficient on November 3, 2012 at 5:43 AM

He looks and sounds like a leader, steadfastly positive and constructive, speaking with confidence and leading with conviction.

RedWinged Blackbird on November 3, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Three more days……….do you see the water receding from the shore Democrats and media standing on the shore?

You’ve seen the water race away one time before….mmmmm, about this time two years ago actually.

You’ll notice shortly a noise (a kind of dull roar). And you’ll have a lot more beach area to walk on. But be concerned…..

There is another wave coming. :-)

We have a name for it. It’s called TEANAMI 2!

Enjoy the wave Hot Airians.

PappyD61 on November 3, 2012 at 7:33 AM

renalin on November 3, 2012 at 7:10 AM

When did you start posting comments that did not knock Romney? I am not complaining, and would be happy if you actually had joined the effort to throw Barry out on his Moochelle in 3 days.

bayview on November 3, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Hubby watched MSNBC last night and said they claim Obama has this in the back. He will win easily. Romney has abandoned Florida.

It is a very different world over there. It is all war on women and environmental issues.

Trying to stay positive here. Very worried.

esr1951 on November 3, 2012 at 7:46 AM

esr1951 on November 3, 2012 at 7:46 AM

That was a Black Knight skit.

bayview on November 3, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Holy Crap! 14 pages for a QOTD thread? Everyone drinking tons of coffee and getting excited before election day I see.

:-)

hawkdriver on November 3, 2012 at 8:00 AM

bayview on November 3, 2012 at 7:45 AM

benghazi was the turning point for me. more important to throw obama out now, regardless of the opponent.

i’m saving my anti-romney rants till after the election:) for now i’m encouraging people to go out and vote.

renalin on November 3, 2012 at 8:01 AM

renalin on November 3, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Have to admit lately it’s been hard to figure out who has actually been a fence-sitter or who was posting for the other side. Your comments have always rang true of someone just concerned about either candidate.

You’re right though, Americans are seeing these men unfold before their eyes and Obama isn’t what they want. For me, I supported Mitt before Juan last time. It took a while to get completely back in his camp during the primaries, but I have really, really liked what I’ve seen since he got the nod. I think we have a real winner here.

hawkdriver on November 3, 2012 at 8:06 AM

renalin on November 3, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Any president should be held accountable for how he governs, that’s fair. Belated welcome to the barricade, compatriot.

bayview on November 3, 2012 at 8:07 AM

bayview on November 3, 2012 at 6:48 AM

That should be enough to bury Obama right there…but

bayview on November 3, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Terrye on November 3, 2012 at 6:55 AM
Terrye on November 3, 2012 at 6:55 AM

I might suggest that that is what a relativistic secularist mentality, throwing God, along with a couple thousand years of Judeo-Christian moral standards, out of our considerations and actions, and with that goes all sense of right or wrong and guilt.

Fixing the economy won’t fix the unsound mortar of this nation–our culture.

Don L on November 3, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Was talking with a couple of young Obama voters last night. I was the one who brought up Obama when the subject of high gas prices came up, but I tried not to sound like a partisan one way or the other. They seemed very resigned to the fact that Obama is going to lose. They were not upbeat at all, but instead expressed disappointment in the public for not recognizing how much Obama supposedly “tried” and what he was up against. I didn’t give my opinion about anything but just found it interesting to see how down they were. Their words were, “At least he is trying. What more do people want?”

bluegill on November 3, 2012 at 8:31 AM

You know…I’m getting confident again. The polls are turning back towards Obama and the most recent, Ohio, Wisconsin and even Florida polls are extremely encouraging. Also there are 3 and 4 hour lines of black voters in Miami-Dade early voting. You know what? Obama may win. In fact, I’m beginning to think its likely that he will win. In fact, mark it. Obama is going to win. If he loses I’ll be in the threads eating crow, but I think he’s going to win.

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Trying to stay positive here. Very worried.

esr1951 on November 3, 2012 at 7:46 AM

MSNBC is a bit of a loony bin. They live in their own world. I may tune in a bit on Tuesday night to watch them melt down, but otherwise it’s best to avoid them.

I think the American people are coming up for air now.

disa on November 3, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Fixing the economy won’t fix the unsound mortar of this nation–our culture.

Don L on November 3, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Excellent point and I would add that the economy will never be fixed until the unsound mortar of this nation-our culture is fixed.

bgibbs1000 on November 3, 2012 at 8:34 AM

:-)

hawkdriver on November 3, 2012 at 8:00 AM

If this is the indication of the Republican enthusiasm factor/turn-out it could add the 1%-2% difference needed to put Romney over the top in the critical swing states. Seriously, imo, the pollsters are under-estimating this level of turn-out AND over-estimating the Dem turn-out. No one, at this point should be sitting on their “laurels” by taking this advantage for granted. Now’s the time to walk the walk by not only VOTING yourself, but make sure to emphasize to every family member and friends (who will vote for Mitt) to physically get to the polls. There’s always been some great “talkers” and “thinkers” here at HA. But how many of you will go the extra mile, (over the next three days), to pick up the phone and call just a few friends to tell them how important THEIR SINGLE VOTE could mean to this nation’s future???

Now’s not the time to be shy. Make the calls, use your email contacts, post to your websites, MAKE THE DIFFERENCE!!!

Rovin on November 3, 2012 at 8:38 AM

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 8:33 AM

You know what else?

lol

hawkdriver on November 3, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Rovin on November 3, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Spot on, my friend. sound the alarm. The socialists are coming! The socialists are coming! …again!

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 8:43 AM

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I’m curious. How many Americans do you know, outside of academia? I mean, out in the real world?

Because in the Heartland of America, down here in Dixie, your fallen messiah is toast.

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Their words were, “At least he is trying. What more do people want?”

bluegill on November 3, 2012 at 8:31 AM

The thing that kills me in all this is that what he is “trying” to do is destroy our economy. It’s not easy to sabotage this country while appearing to “help.”

disa on November 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM

How many people do you know outside of your work, social and home life? What a ridiculous question. As for your discussion of the dixie heartland, if you’re not in a swing state how do you have a sense of what’s happening nationally based entirely upon “who you know.” But that’s your way kingsjester, just in general. You’re one of those people who imagines that their life is just what is standard, and therefore anything or anyone who deviates from your particularly ghettoized way of life is out of the ordinary. No doubt you’re also old as sin, this is a classic old people move. And that’s fine, I’ll be shaking my cane at the rest of America one day, but you should at least be more self-reflexive about the various ways you may not know what’s going on because of how you segregate yourself in homogenous spaces. Think about it.

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 8:51 AM

And I was one of those people who earlier this year said I would NEVER vote for Romney. He’s sold me.

I BELIEVE, and boy, does it feel good.

disa on November 2, 2012 at 10:31 PM

got here late … but want to add this ….
I was ABR during the primaries …. Once Mitt won … I was ABO …..
after listening to Romney talk and seeing his vision …. I am a Romney supporter …

you nervous, huh?? a 30,000 Romney crowd must give you cold chills down your spine, eh :-)…

jimver on November 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM

it has a spine … who knew ???

conservative tarheel on November 3, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Good morning everybody.
CPT. Charles on November 3, 2012 at 7:04 AM

The contrast between Romney and Obama in the clips from their respective rallies yesterday could not have been more stark. Obama seems so angry, unsettled and the stare he gives with the frown and the eyes full of rage looks demonic. Obama seemed so small and childlike while speaking. That costumey-looking jacket really does nothing for him. In contrast, Romney was practically glowing up there and he couldn’t have looked any more confident or presidential. Watching and listening to Romney I could feel a sense of contentness, if that’s a word.

bluegill on November 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I know a lot of Americans, and other people, kid. I’ve worked in the real world for 30 years, including at a state job center, a middle school, and now at 100+ employee corporation as VP of Marketing. My blog is read by people all over the world. I attend a church of 900, where I am active.

This nation is still Center-Right, it’s still 78% Christian.

American’s are fed up. My first vote was in 1980 for President Reagan. This feels exactly like it did back then, when I was in college, and a Radio News Director. The Manchurian President is toast. Get used to saying “President Romney”.

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Excuse me, but being old has nothing to do with it. I agree with a lot of what kingjester says, but I agree with you that he speaks too often about the so-called “heartland” as if anything outside of that is not truly American. That has always bothered me as well.

bluegill on November 3, 2012 at 8:59 AM

bluegill on November 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I get that some people are voting for Romney, but this crap is just plain creepy. You sound like the rhapsodic Obama supporters in 2008. If he wins he’ll govern remarkably similarly to Obama just with significantly less regard for federal programs that provide a safety net for the poor. That’s pretty much it? Oh and he may like pretend like he’s going to “study” don’t ask don’t tell and they’ll start defending DOMA again. But there’s kind of all you can expect. The major changes in the global economy that have left so many Americans either out of work or stuck in low wage jobs, that’s not going to change.

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM

bluegill on November 3, 2012 at 8:59 AM

You just can’t help being divisive, can you? Hot Air posters are voting for Romney despite of you, not because of you.

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM

This is the end of the Reagan era. Mitt will probably win Reagan 1984 shares of white voters, and if that’s not enough to win the “silent majority,” the “Reagan Democrats,” the mythos of a “center-right” nation will all crumble. Perhaps this is what scares folks like yourself so much. Based on your posts you have a powerful investment in imagining yourself as representing “America.” Its actually an incredibly narcissistic perspective (but duh you’re a blogger). Why you feel as if your life experience must be the only “American” life is fascinating.

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 9:05 AM

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 8:51 AM

We took a drive through Fairfax County last weekend (northern VA) and Romney signs outnumbered Obama signs 3 to 1. There’s your swing state.

As you may or may not know, those of us who are conservatives living just outside metro DC can’t live in a bubble – we’re surrounded by liberals. And a lot of those liberals are very, very disappointed in Barky. Unlike you, they can grimly assess reality and they don’t like what he’s done in the past 4 years.

disa on November 3, 2012 at 9:06 AM

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Pardon me, but I was saying that I agree with you. I think it is a good thing that you share your thoughts on your blog. You seem like a good person and don’t attack people viciously like others on here do. It was just a very minor critique of the way that you sometimes describe the different areas of the country. It’s no biggie. Maybe I’m just sensitive because I do not live in one of those “heartland” states.

bluegill on November 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I never said that. I’m just an average American. You seem to deny the fact that Liberals only comprise 21% of the population. Conservatives are the majority in this nation, and Christians are the overwhelming majority. What about these facts, don’t you understand, DeathToAllMediaHacks/libfreeordie/perfesser?

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Wow, put away the broom, QOTD needs a backhoe to clean out the mess left last night. Whodda thought that couple of claymation characters could leave such a load. Gotta spray some Febreeze before setting out the food.

Putting some coffee on. Bagels, muffins, donuts and a fruit tray over on the conference table. Prayers to the East Coast wish I could personally set up some tables for you, too.

This is it folks! The last weekend before election day. Get some sleep, do something fun, fuel up your cars and yourselves and get out the vote!

Fallon on November 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Self-identified conservatives are a majority, but when you poll Americans on various issues they often reveal a more populist bent. Which suggests that lots of people who call themselves conservative don’t buy into your vision of conservative. Considering how often conservatives attack each other for not being conservative enough, it is surprising you don’t see the problem with quoting those ideological ID numbers.

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Sorry to have to burst your bubble so early in the morning professor, but…

Mitt Romney maintains lead over Obama, 51-45

Mitt Romney has maintained a solid lead over President Barack Obama in the latest Miami Herald/El Nuevo Herald poll of likely voters who favor the Republican by six percentage points.

Romney’s strengths: independent voters and more crossover support from Democrats relative to the Republicans who back Obama, according to the survey conducted by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research.

Romney’s crossover appeal is fueled by strong support in rural North Florida, a conservative bastion where a relatively high percentage of Democrats often vote Republican in presidential election years.

“I’m pretty convinced Romney’s going to win Florida,” said Mason-Dixon pollster Brad Coker, who conducted the 800-likely voter survey from Tuesday through Thursday.

[snip]

Obama’s numbers nose-dived with Hispanics, independents and women. Obama was already on unsteady ground in Florida, where unemployment and home foreclosure rates are higher than the national average.

Voters like Isabel Rodríguez, a 73-year-old Democrat from Miami Gardens, felt let down. She said she switched her vote to Romney this year. She said Obama broke his word.

“He is a liar,” she said. “He said he would do so many things in four years and the truth is he did nothing.” Source

Oh, and I’ve got some more news for you. There’s long waiting lines
in non-black precincts too. But for some odd reason we’re not seeing them being reported by the media. Hmm, I wonder why.

Flora Duh on November 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM

First of all, for the record, yes, I love me some Mitt and I’m proud to shout it out for all to hear. I feel uplifted when listening to him. What I get from Obama is aloofness and bitterness. And that wretched wife of his only amplifies the effect.

As to the rest of your comment where you suggest I have little to be excited over, I say that you should try to adopt a more optimistic view about the kind of economic growth that is possible and what that would mean for all of us.

bluegill on November 3, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Dang, that’s a lot of comments.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2012 at 9:35 AM

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Cite your sources, perfesser. Otherwise, all you are spouting is unconfirmed theory. All my facts come from Gallup.

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Oh, and I’ve got some more news for you. There’s long waiting lines

Flora Duh on November 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Did you see the Marist/Wall Street Journal/NBC Florida poll? I don’t think Obama will win Florida by any means, but good numbers like that are encouraging. Remember, Romney needs Florida to win, Obama doesn’t.

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Well, that didn’t take long.

New Romney ad: Revenge Or Love Of Country

I’ve got a feeling the boy king is going to regret his “revenge” remark, almost as much as he does his “you didn’t build that” remark.

Flora Duh on November 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

bluegill on November 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Though I’m no fan of LDS, a strong faith will impart a sense of contentness (Islam excluded). Like I said before, I’m voting for President, not pastor so the LDS thing is between Mitt and God, not Mitt and me. Romney is certainly comfortable in his own skin and, may I add, in the presence of other Americans. Obama acts like it’s a terrible imposition that he even has to associate (from a distance) with common people. It is our failing that we don’t recognize and acknowledge his superiority. We should be ashamed./

swinia sutki on November 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

bluegill on November 3, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Okay, this, all of this is well said.

Credit where credit is due.

Well said.

hawkdriver on November 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Great objective opinion source. Try again.

hawkdriver on November 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Hey … Buffy hows life in Dallas ???

Hope you don’t hurt yourself during the game ….
:D

conservative tarheel on November 3, 2012 at 9:48 AM

FREE ADVICE:

I find it best to assume every HA poster is full of S#!+.

Then, no risk of emotional attachment or the conflict you say you are experiencing ( unless you are bullsh****ng us all …in which case, f-off and die)

socalcon on November 3, 2012 at 3:38 AM

That’s interesting because my unscientific observation is that most commenters are and read into comments what they do them selves. If you like to argue, you see every comment as a challenge, if you like to bullsh**, then you don’t believe what anyone writes. If you are the logical type, you look for logic in every comment, sometimes causing much confusion. Because there are few things to produce inflection, people project their own personality on anonymous comments.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Did you see the Tampa Bay Times poll released on Oct. 28?

Romney over Obama, 51-45.

So you’ve got 2 Florida polls, from 2 liberal Florida newspapers, taken a week apart that come up with the same results. Seems to me that Romney is maintaining a pretty strong lead here.

Flora Duh on November 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Well, that didn’t take long.

New Romney ad: Revenge Or Love Of Country

Flora Duh on November 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Thanks, Flora, that gave me chills…the good kind.
I wonder if Barry felt that steel-toed boot to the nads.

swinia sutki on November 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM

conservative tarheel on November 3, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I’m stretching beforehand.

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Which are you going to cite next…Dkos, HuffPo, or Wikipedia?

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Flora Duh on November 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I don’t know if it will have any staying power but apparently The Won has called for gasoline through the military and the Corp of Engineers but it appears that what these folks really need are generators to pump the gasoline out of the tanks. Hess Corporation figured it out and sent generators to their stations. Obama might start running the Sandy situation like he did the gulf oil spill, and we all know how inept he looked “fixing” that. Extorting money out of BP while oil filled the Gulf was oddly unsatisfying to those citizens. Who is he going to demand money from now? Mother Nature.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I am oh so very happy that you are being careful and not puling anything …

oh an speaking of not pulling anything … don’t pull any punches on Libfree….

conservative tarheel on November 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM

conservative tarheel on November 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I won’t. We have 3 days left. I’m not going to back down now.

kingsjester on November 3, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Did you see the Tampa Bay Times poll released on Oct. 28?

Romney over Obama, 51-45.

Flora Duh on November 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM

And today’s headlines from the front pages of The Tampa Bay Times and Miami Herald backs that up.

Romney still ahead in FLA

Romney remains on top

Flora Duh on November 3, 2012 at 9:59 AM

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I have to agree with you there (although saying that makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit).

“Conservative” means different things to different people, obviously – otherwise a country with 60-some percent self-identified conservatives wouldn’t have voted for Barky in the first place.

But you miss the point – in the most basic sense, Americans do not really want progressivism, and they certainly don’t want what Barky has to offer. If he were honest about his goals for America, he wouldn’t get 20% of the vote. He would be viewed by the mainstream as an extremist with a passionate cult following.

disa on November 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM

kenny on November 3, 2012

…I see you guys got hemorrhoids after I left last night!

KOOLAID2 on November 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I read last night that the amount of fuel being delivered will be enough to help NYC out for 8 hours. With the temps supposed to dip below freezing in some places in the NE this weekend, that’s not going to be much help.

Having lived through the aftermath of hurricane Andrew, I realize there’s not a whole lot a President can do to speed up deliveries of what people need. Maybe the boy king should have thought about that before promising those in the NE that he was going to make things all better.

Clinton should have warned him, he caught hell for the slow response in the aftermath of Andrew.

Flora Duh on November 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Flora Duh on November 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Hopefully they biggest part of the power is just trees and wires and the crews can get them back up quickly. It’s true that there really isn’t much that he can do but it won’t stop him from using it as a photo op. It is so cold up there and now they are talking about a Nor’easter coming in. The hits just keep coming.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Romney still ahead in FLA

Romney remains on top

Flora Duh on November 3, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I’ll bet the Tampa Bay Times editors hated having to post that headline. hehehe They lean far enough left that they could give MSNBC a run for their money regarding bias.

Their home, Pinellas County, will probably still go blue, but I think Hillsborough County (where I live) and the rest of the I-4 corridor is going red. Lots of Romney signs in Tampa. Some Obama, but those are mostly scattered in a few residential areas. Decent number of businesses have Romeny signs in front. Republicans also have had a good GOTV push going. Lots of door to door foot slogging and calling. Much better than I remember in 2008.

People forget that even with the blue bastion of the south east counties, Obama only won Florida by two lousy points in 2008. Not going to happen again.

Kirin on November 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Romney definitely can win PA. GOP enthusiasm is higher than I have seen it in a long, long time, especially in the eastern counties. The People’s Republic of Philadelphia, which is the city and its neighborhoods, will go Obama. When you get out of the city and into the county, Romney has some traction.

McCain won my district in Montgomery County, and Romney will win it easily. In 2008, Obama won Montco, but I don’t think he will win it this time (or Bucks for that matter).

I will be praying harder for Team Mitt over the next few days. PA has had enough of Barky.

Philly on November 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I never looked at it that way, but that really explains a lot of commenters’ behaviors.

Of course, it could be that most people aren’t projecting their personalities at all, but you just think they are, because you yourself are projecting your tendency to project yourself onto other people. Meta-projecting, if you will.

RINO in Name Only on November 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Kirin on November 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Yes, the Tampa Bay Times/Bay News 9 poll showed Romney leading in the I-4 corridor. And some strategist have said that whoever wins that area of the state wins Florida.

I live on the Nature Coast, a few counties north of you. I’m seeing the same thing, lots of R/R signs in people’s yards and along the highway. I’ve seen 2, count ‘em, 2, Obama signs, and they were along the side of the road.

Flora Duh on November 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM

“Don’t forget to change your Clocks on Saturday and your President on Tuesday.” -Catherine Parsons

Fallon on November 3, 2012 at 10:32 AM

RINO in Name Only on November 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Probably true.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM

RINO in Name Only on November 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Said so much better than I.

(and, if I may, what did I mean by that?)

socalcon on November 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Jackie doing the Tango.

SparkPlug on November 3, 2012 at 3:26 AM
Tango Flamenco

Might as well go for the trio.

thatsafactjack on November 3, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Thanks for the tango. I took my daughter to see “Tango Argentino” in Beverly Hills, when she was 16. She became a professional ballroom dancer after seeing the Argentine tango!

You really seem to be a Renaissance Man, thatsafactjack!

Typicalwhitewoman on November 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM

You really seem to be a Renaissance Man, thatsafactjack!

Typicalwhitewoman on November 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Make that; Renaissance woman.

cozmo on November 3, 2012 at 10:42 AM

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Here’s the only poll you need: Obama has lost his swagger.

Everything else is just noise. He’s done.

Mitsouko on November 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM

This was a good and insightful comment, and I say it should be extended to all interpersonal communications, not just anonymous, online ones.

Anti-Control on November 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM

(and, if I may, what did I mean by that?)

socalcon on November 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM

LOL! Depends on who you are asking.

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Anti-Control on November 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Do you think it is as likely when you are talking in person, when tone and expression is more obvious? Ah, what the heck, let’s just all stay a mystery!!

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Anti-Control on November 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Something to keep in mind next time MSNBC offers its nuanced opinions about the conservative movement.

RINO in Name Only on November 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM

libfreeordie on November 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Don’t worry. You’ll probably keep your cushy affirmative action job. That’s all you’re really concerned about.
God forbid that you’d ever have to actually compete.

Solaratov on November 3, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Cindy Munford on November 3, 2012 at 11:03 AM

No, that wasn’t what I referring to, because I’d agree with your point about that.

What I meant was that when people are involved in any kind of conversation, even with others they already know, and they are interpreting what’s new to and not yet understood by them, they have a strong tendency toward “read[ing] into [those] comments what they do them selves”.

Anti-Control on November 3, 2012 at 11:52 AM

RINO in Name Only on November 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM

One technique I employ when analyzing others I disagree with, in order to gauge where they are coming from, is to see if they are actually trying to understand the general point I am making, or if they are really just looking to find what they perceive to be fault.

People who engage in the latter are not actually listening, but are giving their self-assessments (i.e. they are projecting) when they invariably end up going on the attack.

Anti-Control on November 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM