Mia Love leads Matheson by 12

posted at 12:41 pm on November 2, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

With the presidential race so close, we haven’t had much of an opportunity to pay attention to Congressional races — but the race in Utah’s 4th District deserves a look today.  Mia Love looks poised to become the first African-American woman elected to Congress as a Republican, according to a new Mason-Dixon poll in her district, which puts her up by twelve points over six-term incumbent Jim Matheson (via Ladies Logic):

Matheson trails Republican challenger Mia Love 52 percent to 40 percent in a new poll conducted for The Salt Lake Tribune, a large margin in a race where, even a few days ago, both campaigns were predicting a tight finish. …

The Tribune poll, conducted by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research, found that the coalition of Democrats, independents, moderate Republicans and women that Matheson has united in past elections is failing to coalesce this time around, with just 9 percent of Republicans crossing over to support him.

That’s the key to this election.  The 2nd District has a Cook rating of R+15 [see update], which suggests that Matheson has benefited from an ability to look moderate, combined with the blessing of not having to face a charismatic and inspiring challenger.  Even the 12-point lead in this poll slightly underperforms the Republican advantage in this district, but that’s within the MoE and probably has more to do with Matheson’s status as an incumbent.  The Salt Lake Tribune also notes, though, that Love has done what other challengers couldn’t — match Matheson’s spending.

Matheson claims that his own poll shows him leading Love by two, and that 19% of Republicans support him.  He told the Tribune that he would release the poll “to all of his supporters,” which would be the first time Matheson made any of his internal polls public.  That sounds like a desperate attempt to mitigate the perception that his is a lost cause and not worth the effort on Election Day.  In a presidential election that kind of surrender seems rather unlikely — people will want to vote for President regardless of how Matheson’s doing — but the concern is still quite telling.

Update: I had forgotten that the 4th is a new district, and that the 2nd was Matheson’s old district.  There are no Cook Report stats for UT-04 that I could find.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Oh, hell yeah!

Pork-Chop on November 2, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Mia Love leads Matheson by 12

GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ToddPA on November 2, 2012 at 12:43 PM

That’s awesome news.

She’s a rising star who will be fun to watch in Congress if this comes to pass.

Perhaps since I have Representatives in Congress (MA) that are to the left of the Politburo I’ll send her a note saying that I’m adopting her as my Representative.

turfmann on November 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!

georgealbert on November 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Then that 19% of Republicans need their head examined.

changer1701 on November 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM

The democrats are racist here I guess.

GardenGnome on November 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY !!!!!

pambi on November 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM

The question in the 4th Dist, is not whether Mia will win, but by how much. I think it will be by double digits

ConservativePartyNow on November 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM

The names she’s being called.

May all the hypocrites go to Hades.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I’m waiting for someone to call her the black Sarah Palin. Or has it happened already?

DaydreamBeliever on November 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Go Mia!!!

Thanks Ed. Any news on the DWS, Allen West, Grayson races?

CoffeeLover on November 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Will she be treated worse than LTC West has been treated? Will she confront Maxine Watters?

I look forward to this person joining congress and shaking things up a bit lot!

ted c on November 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Probably will cause a little heartburn in the Congressional Black Caucus.

a capella on November 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Fantastic news. I adore her.

gophergirl on November 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I can’t wait to see MSNBC explain her.

BuckeyeSam on November 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM

time for matheson to retire and go cash in on his gov’t connections in the private sector

gatorboy on November 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Dr. J over at Legal Insurrection had a good write up about her as well.

See the pie chart on changes to her support. big!

ted c on November 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM

This is magnificent. Thanks to the leadership of Legal Insurrection, Mia and a few other congressional candidates have been recipients of our scaled-up political contributions this cycle.

GaltBlvnAtty on November 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Another Republican done opened up another can of whup-ass…hee hee.

Oracleforhire on November 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I heard she can see Washington DC from her house.

akaniku on November 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Love me some Mia Love. Can’t wait for her and Maxine Waters or Sheila Jackass Lee to tangle, Mia will wipe the floor with them.

TXUS on November 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Probably will cause a little heartburn in the Congressional Black Caucus.

a capella on November 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM

exactly

CoffeeLover on November 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I can’t wait to see MSNBC explain her.

BuckeyeSam on November 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Same way they explained Allen West. A partisan hack if she turns out to be one.

HotAirLib on November 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Cool! I thought she was behind.

pseudonominus on November 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Great! Love is a solid candidate. But also I’m checking the latest rcp polls, and in republican INDIANA the Dem Donnelly is beating (rape & abortion) Murdoch by 11 points. This is a 16 point swing since Murdoch’s crazy abortion revelations! Another senate race we’ve thrown away by nominating a nutcase. Next time institute a nutcase screen on the issue of making exceptions on abortion for rape and incest. 80% of voters oppose leaving out those exceptions, and are in fact repulsed by candidates that take that extreme position. It is suicidal for us to select candidates that take that position. No more.

anotherJoe on November 2, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Put this in your pipes and smoke it, loser MSNBC prime-time hosts!

22044 on November 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Swoosh–nothing but net.

Do it to it, Lady Love!

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I can’t wait to see MSNBC explain her.

BuckeyeSam on November 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Same way they cover everything else that goes against their meme – they pretend it doesn’t exit.

gatorboy on November 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I can’t wait to see MSNBC explain her.

BuckeyeSam on November 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM

You beat me to it :)

22044 on November 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I heard she can see Washington DC from her house.

akaniku on November 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Well, we sure can see a horses azz named akaniku…..

..so you have that going for you.

BTW, did you know that Obama could see Ty Woods from his
Situation Room??

ToddPA on November 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Thought I’d note, she’s not African American, she’s of Haitian decent.

Black =! African American just as White =! European American

mbauer on November 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM

sending in reinforcements, this is as big as Ted Cruz replacing Kay Bailey. Nice to see some more conseervatives moving in.

It will be so nice to have young smart knowledgable and experienced republicans on board that show fiscal discipline instead of cronyism.

DanMan on November 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM

She is such an attractive candidate, and I don’t mean looks, it’s hard to imagine her not winning.

Cindy Munford on November 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Gosh, what a bunch of sexist racis….. o wait what?

watertown on November 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM

BOOM!!!

BigWyo on November 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM

a capella on November 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM

If she joins? Did West join that bunch?

Mia, may God grant you the win? You are one fantastic lady and would be a great asset to the house for the R’s!
L

letget on November 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I love her.

esnap on November 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

In a country full of racists, how can this be? Psst, Utah, she’s not white…just in case you hadn’t noticed.

SKYFOX on November 2, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Oh please, people calling themselves “Republicans” doesn’t mean that they’re actually Republicans. After all, Christie also claims he’s a Republican and we know where that went.

rplat on November 2, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Brand me a racist if you please, but I’ll admit to being reluctant to support Black (of any origin) candidates, even when they are unquestionably conservative. After seeing a fearless firebrand Col. Allen West voting for Pigford II, and a math PhD and a successful businessman Herman Cain proving himself an intellectual lightweight and a philanderer, how can I expect any better from others?

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM

turfmann on November 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I have had Lenard Boswell for my Rep. as long as I can remember. I adopted Steve King years ago. I am happy to say I will soon have Tom Latham as my Rep.! Finally I will have a voice speaking for me!

IowaWoman on November 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I’ve lived in Utah in the past and would love to vote for her! All the way, Mia!

mubando on November 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM

It was a pleasure donating to her campaign earlier this year.

Go Mia! (or I guess I should get used to saying “Congresswoman Love”)

jwehman on November 2, 2012 at 1:07 PM

WTF?

jwehman on November 2, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I donated to Mia’s campaign a couple times, I just love Mia, I can not wait to see her go to work!

IowaWoman on November 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I’m looking forward to Love being in Congress. I think she’ll shake things up quite a bit and scoot up the prominent and powerful ladder quickly.

Dusty on November 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Yeah, and white candidates never do that stuff. Yeesh.

WitchDoctor on November 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM

If she joins? Did West join that bunch?

letget on November 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Yeah, he did. Remember the entertainment when he provided lunch for them which consisted of chicken sandwiches from a certain family owned company recently in the news? Very amusing.

a capella on November 2, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Mia <3

Mr. Prodigy on November 2, 2012 at 1:11 PM

HotAirLib on November 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM

HotLips !
sing DAISEY!
come on HAL
sing DAISEY!
…put them lips to work!

KOOLAID2 on November 2, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Awesome. :)

Bob's Kid on November 2, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Hey I am from Utah and you may be familiar with some famous words – paraphrasing here – We judge people by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin.

rsherwd65 on November 2, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Ok, as you wish . . . you’re branded a racist.

rplat on November 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Got nothing to do with skin color. Remember Duke Cunningham?

a capella on November 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I think you will find a lot of white conservatives that made the same votes, you are going to be SOL for someone to vote for before you know it.

Cindy Munford on November 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM

To judge someone on their race is racist. Can not get around that definition.

IowaWoman on November 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM

a capella on November 2, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Yes, I do recall that! Boy it did seem many wasn’t on a chicken diet that day? Funny and good for West!
L

letget on November 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM

If Utahans weren’t such racists she’d be up by 100!!

/sarc

Charlemagne on November 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM

The Tribune poll, conducted by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research, found that the coalition of Democrats, independents, moderate Republicans and women . . .

So “women” are mentioned separately because they’re incapable of being “Democrats, independents [or] Republicans.”

Really?

Gene Hunt on November 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Yeah dude, that’s actually pretty racist.

happytobehere on November 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM

OT: OMG look at DRUDGE.

nitzsche on November 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM

rsherwd65 on November 2, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Where the hell were you four years ago when we decided to experiment with affirmative action instead of substance? /

Happy Nomad on November 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I was so impressed with her speech at the RNC.

I think she’ll do really well in Congress. Maxine Waters
will have a nervous breakdown when she sees her!

Jocelyn on November 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Really?

Gene Hunt on November 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Have you not been paying attention. Lady parts are a protected class.

Happy Nomad on November 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

You go Girl and I mean that in a good way. So proud of you and your character. You did build that support and you did build that reputation. Others tried so hard to tear all that down, but you remained stronger than they. Keep building!!!

j bo on November 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM

OT: OMG look at DRUDGE.
nitzsche on November 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Just did. Don’t see anything omg worthy. Can you be more specific?

happytobehere on November 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM

west admitted that pigford vote was a mistake. and besides, do you really expect to have a perfect candidate who never makes mistakes? allen west is a really great guy. it’s sad that some people don’t appreciate the many good things about him. and remember that he has taken so much crap from black liberals, (and all liberals, in general) he stands against black libs and gets demonized for it as a traitor to his race.

herman cain did have some “lightweight” moments but he’s had so many other good moments that you’re ignoring. (i actually met him- he made a speech at my college and it was great.)

still even if it were true that west and cain were just horrible candidates it is absolutely disgusting that you just assume that other black candidates will be like them, just because they’re black.

with libs falsely accusing conservatives of being racists all the time, what we do not need is ACTUAL racism coming from a conservative!! you should be embarrassed!

Sachiko on November 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Cindy Munford on November 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Yeah, and white candidates never do that stuff. Yeesh.

WitchDoctor on November 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Yes, I know that many Caucasian pols do the same, and I won’t support them, either. But Pigford II was as racist a vote as one can imagine, and Herman Cain (whom I originally supported) lived up to every negative stereotype. Consider it a “once bitten twice shy” kind of burnout.

To all others happy to sling offensive labels away – get me right. I’d still much prefer Mia Love (as well as pretty much any Republican of any hue running against a donk) to win the race; I am just wary of supporting her.

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

The only people who are more disappointed in this than the democrats are the Rino in DC.lets hope she can survive the assault by so called Republican telling her she must drop all this conservative crap.

logman1 on November 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Whoa, we got a runner, escape from Binder #3…./

tomg51 on November 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

OT: OMG look at DRUDGE.

nitzsche on November 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Déjà vu anyone?

Flora Duh on November 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Mia would help the house, NOW people WE have got to do our very best to get the senate so dingy ding dong harry is out on his almost dead rear! Here is an article from dingy about working with Mitt!

L

letget on November 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM

OT: OMG look at DRUDGE.

nitzsche on November 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM

WNBC: Woman interviewed in high-rise city project says deteriorating conditions; People shitting in hallways…

HARRY REID: ‘Laughable’ to think Senate Democrats will work with Romney…

CoffeeLover on November 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Obama speaking now and I am physically sick hearing him

CoffeeLover on November 2, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM

This is probably stinky troll bait, but I’ll just ignore the rest and remind the gentle reader that Cain was never “proven” to be anything with regard to the ladies. There were allegations, but I believe the main tenet of the justice system is “innocent until proven guilty”.

Some tend to forget that pesky fact, especially the stinky trolls.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to remind the gentle reader that Cain did not get his day in court, hence, we are obliged to follow the tenet.

kim roy on November 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Dude. You are saying rather racist stuff. Here’s a hint, if you don’t want people to call you a racist you should not declare a wariness of candidates based on their skin pigmentation.

happytobehere on November 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I won’t call you any names, we are our experiences and how they effect us. Personally I think we should probably vote for the best possible candidate and hold the accountable through a strong multiple voiced Tea Party. I truly believe you have to watch these people. That may not be the way the Founders envisioned the government but it is where we are today.

Cindy Munford on November 2, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Sachiko on November 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Col. Allen West has a *lot* going for him but there are things that, in my book, are a complete cross-out. So was SOPA support for Rubio, so was post-hurricane photo op with Hussein for Christie, and so was Pigford II vote for West and “bimbo eruption” for Cain. I’ll still take either over a donk any day and twice on Sunday, but it’s my right not to support them. End of story.

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Ed. Any news on the DWS, Allen West, Grayson races?

CoffeeLover on November 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Allen West WILL be returning to Congress for the next session.

Unfortunately, there’s a very good possibility Grayson will also, unless that mini-scandal that engulfed him last week turned enough people off.

Flora Duh on November 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM

CoffeeLover on November 2, 2012 at 1:29 PM

We mute that forked tongue snake when he is on! I hope to goodness our mute makes it(we are already on our third since bho was elected) till bho/mo is given the boot in Jan. 2013?
L

letget on November 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM

blockquote>Karen Harrington is 4 points behind DWS, it will be a close one if Karen pulls it off.

Allen West WILL be returning to Congress for the next session.

Flora Duh on November 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Thanks Flora Duh

letget on November 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM

He’s speaking almost ebonics!!!

CoffeeLover on November 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

kim roy on November 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

As for Herman Cain, he neither admitted nor denounced the accusations. In my book, it screams “as guilty as a politician can ever be”.

PS: No, it was not a troll bait. I’m not a frequent poster but not a lurker, either.

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Allen West WILL be returning to Congress for the next session.

Flora Duh on November 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM

thanks Flora Duh. Karen IMO has done a lot better than she did last go around but I think will fall short. DWS has done hardly anything in her district and I think feels she’ll coast on by. I’ve seen more ads for her on HA than down here.

CoffeeLover on November 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM

L

letget on November 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I attempt to listen to both sides as I was taught to “know my enemies” but he’s almost talking ebonics!!!

CoffeeLover on November 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

happytobehere on November 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Dude, I base my opinion on my experience, not on skin pigmentation. I have nothing but respect for Dr. Thomas Sowell and Justice Clarence Thomas, both of whom proved once and again their political allegiance and intellectual worth. Unfortunately, I wish I could say same for Congress conservatives. And perhaps, with Mia Love sworn to the office, I’ll have a reason to.

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I can’t wait to see MSNBC explain her.

BuckeyeSam on November 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Same way they explained Allen West. A partisan hack if she turns out to be one.

HotAirLib on November 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Yeah, I missed the MSDNC special pointing out all the Democratic partisan hacks. Heard it was a great show though.

IamDA on November 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Flora Duh on November 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I read that DWS was throwing her, “Hey, I am someone important!” act around the other day at early voting. I was hoping that would siphon off some her votes.

Cindy Munford on November 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Probably will cause a little heartburn in the Congressional Black Caucus.

a capella on November 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Nah, they will just rename it the DemocratCongressional Black Caucus, and not let West or Love in…field vs house , you know…

seymour01 on November 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I live in this district and this is exciting news! Tons of Mia Love signs in the neighborhood, maybe 1 Matheson sign. Not bad for a bunch of women-and-black-hating Mormons huh?
Go Mia and Mitt!!

mwdiet on November 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM

kim roy on November 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

It appears that the legal system runs different than “your book”. I’ll stick with it, thanks.

Thank you for clarifying that you actually *meant* that racist/stereotyping/generalizing BS that you wrote earlier. It may have been better to admit to trolling.

As it is, you are someone we should all avoid. Thanks for that.

kim roy on November 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Good. I guess I was just confused by your post where you said: “Brand me a racist if you please, but I’ll admit to being reluctant to support Black (of any origin) candidates, even when they are unquestionably conservative.” It just seemed like you were saying that you were reluctant to support black candidates even when they are unquestionably conservative.

My bad.

happytobehere on November 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

She’s pretty awesome, BUT….she needs to examine her views on the 2nd Amendment.

Our Constitutional Rights are NOT negotiable.

KMC1 on November 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I hope she does well, because I would love for her, not Chaffetz, to replace Orrin Hatch when his term is up.

Daemonocracy on November 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I

can’t wait to see MSNBC explain her.

BuckeyeSam on November 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM

A repeat of what they say about Condi Rice, Col West, etc.

jimver on November 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM

My bad.

happytobehere on November 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I’ll elaborate. Due to past negative experience with African American candidates I supported or liked, I prefer to let them prove their cred, rather than unquestionably supporting them as I normally would any conservative on the ticket. That said, I still prefer *any* conservative to *any* liberal, skin hues notwithstanding.

As it is, you are someone we should all avoid. Thanks for that.

kim roy on November 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I wish Herman Cain much success in all his non-political endeavors. As for you, FOAD.

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM

She’s perfect. Hope she landslides it.

Texyank on November 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Instead, maybe try judging every individual on their own merits. Mia Love has probably never met Allen West or Herman Cain, shares no background with them (she’s Haitian-American), may or may not share any particular leadership or personality traits with them, and yet somehow you are saying that because her skin tone happens to roughly approximate theirs, that you judge her character to be somehow akin to theirs? Come on, man, that’s what Democrats do. We judge INDIVIDUALS on their own merits, based on their own principles and accomplishments.

Progressive Heretic on November 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Progressive Heretic on November 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Problem is, currently I have no merits to judge Mia Love by, so I have to go by previous experience with similar individuals (that’s what we humans do). Her speech and her life story, while deeply inspiring, do not truly count as “merits”. Once she is elected (as she should) and proves her as what we both hope she’ll be, I’ll gladly reconsider my support.

Archivarix on November 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I raise a toast, and drain my own glass of hater-aide. Thanks to Mark Foley, I will nevah-nevah vote for a white man…who vaguely reminds me of Paul Lynde…too bad for you, Lindsay.

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on November 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I hope she doesn’t torture herself by going to Congressional Black Caucus meetings like Allen West did (and maybe still does).

thuja on November 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM