Mehmentum: Clinton underwhelms in Ohio

posted at 2:01 pm on November 2, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

PERRYSBURG, OH— Pulling into the parking lot at Owens Community College in Perrysburg Thursday, I briefly wondered if I was in the right spot. I cruised through a roundabout, in the shadow of a painted silo and a giant windmill— the tableau of rural past and green energy future no doubt a deliberate backdrop for an Obama campaign event featuring former President Bill Clinton.

The rock star of the campaign trail was still on his way as one straggling supporter from nearby Maumee and I squinted at each other’s smartphone maps to locate the rally. We found the school’s half-full gymnasium, blocked off at half-court by a red vinyl curtain descended from the ceiling.

Outside, there was no line, but there was a bit of a ruckus as two young people protested their removal from the rally. Kelli Miller, a 28-year-old student, said she and 25-year-old Nick Osberger were told to leave the event after she wrote “I will not support Obama” on the signage provided at the rally and displayed it. A Gary Johnson supporter, Miller objected to not being able to voice her political opinion at a political rally at the school she attends.

“This is my school,” she said. “It’s my constitutional right to express my beliefs, you know? I just held the sign.”

I asked a student working on a laptop right outside the gym if she was planning to go to the rally. “I’ve got class,” she said with a shrug.

Inside the gym, I moved past the curtain to the waiting crowd doing the usual milling and half-hearted chants you get before the headliner arrives. John Welch, a schoolteacher from Moline, was cautiously optimistic about the president’s chances in the battleground state.

“I hope we’re edging a little ahead, it feels like,” he said, adding his objections to Mitt Romney. “I don’t see how he relates to anyone in this room…someone who worries about the price of gas and milk.”

As Clinton took the stage, the crowd, estimated at 1,900 by the Toledo Blade, perked up. He addressed them with a smile and his patented husky, trail voice, damaged from workin’ so hard for you. He ticked off his recent campaign stops, saying he’d lost his voice for “a good cause” before announcing to the crowd he was “honored to be in Pennsylvania for President Obama.”

“OHIO,” the crowd shouted at Clinton’s Bidenism as he corrected himself and pivoted into his stump speech. A prologue on Hurricane Sandy got a round of cheers for New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

Clinton was best when he was affably sarcastic, delivering barbs with an aww-shucks, amirite shrug. His impression of Romney when asked for details on his economics plan, for instance: “I’m a business guy,” Clinton said, with a tug at his lapels, getting laughs from the audience.

He reserved his harshest criticism for Romney’s position on the auto bailout and the Republican challenger’s ads on the subject. The crowd, gathered just minutes from a Chrysler machining plant, was familiar with the ad, many finishing Clinton’s sentence with “China” as Clinton repeated Romney’s charge that Jeep is considering sending production there.

This was the most effective part of the speech, but it look Clinton plenty of time to get there, running through a litany of other issues, including a minutes-long discussion of Medicare Advantage’s structure over the last decade. He indulges his wonky style on the trail just as he did in his State of the Union addresses. This was no mere sprinkling of stats but a slow-moving Sandy of policy numbers and explanations, marked by the occasional odd assertion.

Clinton, free-styling on Obama’s claim to be an all-of-the-above energy guy, said Obama doesn’t advocate “taking away incentives for natural gas and oil,” just keeping incentives for green energy. This despite the president’s frequent talk about taking away “tax breaks” and policies favorable to natural gas and oil.

He cited investments in green energy as important, especially to “Indian reservations that don’t have gambling.” The audience snickered briefly as Clinton himself seemed to sense he didn’t want to go any further down that road.

The speech was mostly low-key and low on expectations. Clinton’s summation of Obama’s plan for green energy investment could stand in as his pitch for the entire second term— “Let’s keep doing this.”

His closing attempted to tie up all of the campaign’s objections to the Romney/Ryan ticket in a racial bow, implying Republican xenophobia and racism toward everyone from African-Americans to Italians. The New York Times recounts:

“Oh, he endorsed him because they are both black,” Mr. Clinton said, using his own paraphrase of Mr. Sununu’s comments. (Mr. Sununu had quickly backtracked last week, saying he did not doubt Mr. Powell’s endorsement was based on anything other than support for Mr. Obama’s policies.)…

And Mr. Clinton wasn’t finished. He mentioned how the Romney campaign had, in Mr. Clinton’s words, stated that “now the Italians are taking your jobs away.”

And the big finish: “Mr. Clinton, who says he has Irish ancestry, closed his remarks here by joking, ‘Pretty soon, they’ll come after the Irish – and I’m toast.’”

Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I expected far more people and more excitement for Bill Clinton. This is the rock star, in northern Ohio, 10 minutes from an auto plant, where Obama’s support for the auto industry bailout is supposed to carry the state into the blue column. I’m not regularly on the trail, but I did attend a Paul Ryan rally in Colorado swing district. Like Clinton, Ryan’s a rock star with appeal on par with the candidate himself, and the event was held in a nearly identical gym. Ryan’s rally outdid this effort by a factor of four. That rally happened right after Ryan was named to the ticket, so enthusiasm was admittedly high, but shouldn’t enthusiasm be high in northern Ohio four days before the election? If not, to borrow a phrase, maybe you’re toast.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

He sounds as stupid as Biden.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

That’s when you know Obama’s losing the youth vote.

Doughboy on November 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

HOLY HELL! Watch this:

Biden with what has to be the dumbest gaffe of all! This needs to be incorporated into an ad this weekend, it’s perfect.

jaygatz33 on November 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Don’t… Stop…. Thinking about… Zzzzz… Zzzzz…. Zzzzz… Huh! Uh, tomorrow.

Punchenko on November 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Anyone that still attaches some credibility to anything this narcissistic, old lying pervert has to say, are themselves in need of help.

rplat on November 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Gumby assures me otherwise. Huge Democratic turnout and hurricanes will overwhelm Democrat complacency with a tidal wave of polls. Or something like that. I can never really tell what he’s talking about.

KABOOM!

PetecminMd on November 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Words, Just words.

The pic on Drudge looks like the winter of ’74 in the northeast.

Spent many days waiting in line for 5 gal of gas ( that was the max allowed ) Only had to push a few times. Thank you Jimmy Carter.

Texyank on November 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM

praying very hard here that stories about these events are not only nothing like they were in ’08 but are indicators that a lot of his supporters will just stay home on Tuesday.

Didn’t I read that O is pulling in Springsteen again to campaign with him over these final days?

CoffeeLover on November 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM

LOL

They’re literally expending their last good years on the planet trying to drag the dunce in the White House across the finish line.

I’m sure they’re thrilled.

Good Lt on November 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Clinton was there to check out the chicks.

DanMan on November 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

He did not have sex with that student!

txdoc on November 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

He thought he was in Pennsylvania.

22044 on November 2, 2012 at 2:09 PM

jaygatz33 on November 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

lol

CoffeeLover on November 2, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Mehmentum: Clinton underwhelms in Ohio

Heh. The bloom is off the rose.

UltimateBob on November 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Clearly, Clinton has an STD that has gone to his swiss cheese brain.

nitzsche on November 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM

jaygatz33 on November 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Thanks for sharing! Love it.

Christien on November 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Mehmentum

Haha good one Ham.

Clinton is poison pilling it for Barry.

Ham is great.

SparkPlug on November 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM

BClinton & O’s got PA on their mind.
Mitt’s got it right by campaigning in Phila Sunday. Crack the nut of Phila just a little bit, and Mitt wins Pa, and it all. Package Mitt’s Debate # 1 performance and present that to the Phila voters. Get just a minor fraction of the educated Dems or Dem leaners to switch, and take a bit off black enthusiasm by somehow bringing up by a PAC maybe or in cheap web banner ads the gay marriage issue.. and bring the gay issue up in Detroit also. It’s a mistake to rule out Michigan.
And, again, spread the word about this gone viral pro-Romney video starring a 13 year old black girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=prmGb1o3dcQ

anotherJoe on November 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Clinton was there to check out the chicks.

DanMan on November 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Probably… he likes them young.

itsacookbook on November 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Romney – Mittmentum

Clinton – Mehmentum

Cool!

22044 on November 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM

It will be interesting to see how Bill is received tonight when is he on campus(FSU). The campus leans Republican and there will be many of us(republicans) there simply because its Bill. But, it will be interesting to see how many students show up and the crowds level of excitement. Sandra Fluke was on campus this week as well lol….

aebloo on November 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Too bad Bill Clinton won’t save Hillary, or drag her out from under Obama’s bus, ahead of Nov. 6. Maybe he likes her there.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

they took our jobs!

lorien1973 on November 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

..pretty much the hallmark of The Crapsack’s gatherings since 2010: half-filled H.S. gyms. c.f., Iowa State in Ames where he could only draw 4,000 or so INSIDE a 14,500 seat gym with Springsteen.

The War Planner on November 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

wait, what’d she say? Did she say “4 days” and “erection” …I thought my doctor may have mentioned somethin’ ’bout that ….am I s’posed to call my doctor now?/
/Billy Jeff.

ted c on November 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

shouldn’t enthusiasm be high in northern Ohio four days before the election?

I have posted before about the lack of enthusiasm in Northwest Ohio. I work in Toledo and can tell you there are very few Obama signs/bumper stickers. Jeep has a plant here so it will probably go for Obama-that is -if they get out and vote. Hoping they won’t!

wolverinefan on November 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM

How dare she try to learn something rather than be indoctrinated. Ungrateful pup!

Finbar on November 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Gee…where are all the little trolls. Could it be they don’t like getting hit in the face with reality… and their darling’s failures?

thatsafactjack on November 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Yes. She does have class.

thatsafactjack on November 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Mehmentum: Clinton underwhelms in Ohio

yeah, but he got a few phone numbers while there, so
it wasn’t a total waste of time….

ToddPA on November 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Ms.Ham 1900 people in the middle of the day for a speech by a someone not on the ballot is actually pretty good …
and Schadenfruede ,you might think he is dumb but there is one thing both of them have accomplished that you ,ryan ,and Romney never will… they have actually served as either Vice President of the USA or President of the USA

also Bill Clinton is way more popular in America than either George Bush Or Mitt Romney…

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM

That was pretty whiny, even for you. Growing weary?

thatsafactjack on November 2, 2012 at 2:22 PM

More telling, imo, are the smallish crowds Barack Obama is getting…2600 in Green Bay, only a couple thousand more in Las Vegas. During the LAST week of the campaign.

changer1701 on November 2, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Man, I thought I was cynical.

Makes sense, though…

Bruno Strozek on November 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM

or Barack Obama or Jimmie Carter

weaselyone on November 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM

The early vote totals are so BAD for ‘rats in WI they are trying to extend early voting. Early/absentee voting has been going on for weeks & it’s supposed to end today at 5:00 but because the rats have not been able to haul the usual suspects to the polls they are petitioning as I type to extend voting through the weekend. Romney lawyers have been dispatched. Developing…

fatigue on November 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM

More than we can say about the host of the rally…

JohnGalt23 on November 2, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Oh my!

I’m laughing so hard, tears are on my cheeks!

BIDEN HAS DONE IT AGAIN!

Saltysam on November 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Four years ago, all we heard about was the size of the crowds. Now…not so much.

bopbottle on November 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM

And Billy Jeff and Obama do?

Yeesh.

kim roy on November 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM

He thought he was in Pennsylvania.

22044 on November 2, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan…all those decaying industrial rust belt states look the same after a while. ;-)

(Hey, cut me some slack. I live in the decaying industrial rust belt portion of northwestern Indiana.)

JimLennon on November 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Liberalism is about to suffer the death blow it deserves.

Slainte on November 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM

jaygatz33 on November 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

He always says “what the means”. He didn’t even realize that it was a Freudean slip.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Willie has been pretty slick this cycle…pretending to support Obama, all the while twisting the knife in his back.

Christien on November 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Bill Clinton. Barack Obama. Now, think of the words “integrity” and “character”. Folks, those are the 2 all stars of the Dem party. Landslide Tues.

hillsoftx on November 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Good grief…I heard yesterday that Miami Dade had 6 hour wait times in some voting places. Megyn just said that the DOJ is not coming in to monitor what they say might be descrimination….

CoffeeLover on November 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM

You lied at least 3 times in your comment, ignoramus.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:32 PM

It’s not surprising. The Obama campaign has basically been about trying to gin up reasons for people not to vote for Romney. He’s not running a “Morning in America” record, nor is he running on a new set of grand plans for the second term. What’s to get excited about?

Progressive Heretic on November 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I will have you know, sir, that I can personally attest to the fact that Shadenfreude once stayed in a Holiday Inn Express–something neither Biden nor Clinton have ever done.

Christien on November 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM

No mention of coal in “all-of-the-above”, I notice.

The Schaef on November 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM

MK, enjoying your reports from Ohio both in the Headlines and live during the War on Bacon show! Or, as Clinton would say, “Let’s keep doing this!”

TXUS on November 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM

thatsafactjack … actually I am the most optimistic I have been …,sorry that the truth hurts…even Rasmussen has the race tied nationally… there goes the myth of Romney momentum so Ms .Ham can try to put a cute spin on the word momentum…but the word she should have use was GONE as in Mitt’s momentum is clearly GONE …and Charlie Cooke is giving the edge to the President and the job figures didn’t give Romney/right wing the ammo they wanted today …

Slainte …the only death will be the party tyou right wingers thought you were going to have on Tuesday ,but maybe you can have Romney over for a sad party…

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Oh my!

I’m laughing so hard, tears are on my cheeks!

BIDEN HAS DONE IT AGAIN!

Saltysam on November 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM

This travesty couldn’t end in a more tragi-comic way. It is a melodrama for the nation.

May the tomor be removed by the voters, and physically on Jan. 20th, 2013, mocked into oblivioun, so as to not metastasize.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM

You lie a lot, for shame.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Christien on November 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM

My sense is that it’s a ‘she’, I could be mistaken, but in any case, she sounds exhausted and halfhearted at best.

thatsafactjack on November 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM

But our concern trolls have assured us that it is in the bag for the rat-eared wonder and we might as well not vote on Tuesday. What gives?

I live in Virginia and a couple polls show Obama leading by .05 so I guesss I’ll just skip the election this year. /

Happy Nomad on November 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Second look at Biden, maybe he is a lot smarter than we give him credit….http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OPdTSnmzdb4….

right2bright on November 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Jobs/economy, coal and Benghazi will take Obama down, as they should.

The land will regain her decency and status in the world.

To Hades with the Europeans and the Chinese. They are only jelous and bloodsuckers, or both, at the expense of the US taxpayers.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM

If Barry get’s re-elected, the Clinton’s will be toast. Barry won’t need them anymore.

Didn’t Hillary! (after consulting with her lawyers) state that she alone is ‘responsible’ for Benghazi?

Someone get the bus.

GarandFan on November 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Here

A little rushed…

right2bright on November 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM

The silent majority and the rubes will take Obama down too.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM

All signs point to +8 Democrat turnout so says the reality based community.

forest on November 2, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Now, as you linked ‘tragi-comedy’ and ‘melodrama; in one sentence, I couldn’t help thinking that this Obama/Biden/Clinton farce is very much reminiscent of the old French Farce, or Italian comic operas, of old.

It made me laugh! I can see the three of them in costume as I write! Hilarious. Thank you, Schadenfreude. :)

thatsafactjack on November 2, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Here

A little rushed…

right2bright on November 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Freud is so proud. It’s such a perfect ending to the clowns’ reign.

Biden always “says what he means”.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM

schadenfruede ,I am so glad your extra tutoring is paying off and you can now count up to three …now try four …as in the four more years President Obama and Vice President Biden will serve…

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Biden, Clinton, the One, the all seem to have trouble. Remember this?

EconomicNeocon on November 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM

thatsafactjack on November 2, 2012 at 2:40 PM

You’re welcome. Just be glad it will end soon. However, then the very hard work begins. We must be very awake and vigilant.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM

GOD I LOVE THAT BIDEN CLIP.

His common man drawl finally bites him in the arse.

Drop that “T” to sound folksy.

Unless you look at him, you can’t see him mouth the N for “Haven’t”

Awesome.

Giuliani is going to kill that tonight in Cincy.

budfox on November 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I can count very well. You, however, can’t spell.

We are the “rubes” and you are the “erudites”, teh-heh.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM

You and Obama have utter contempt for most of the voters. They might be stupid, many, but not in the majority that you assume.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:44 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Oh, the tears.

MeatHeadinCA on November 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM

And this guy does??

michaelo on November 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM

The Pederast Harry Reid sez he’ll stonewall Romney’s agenda…sounds like Reid expects Obama to lose.

GOP has gotta take the senate as well as hold onto the house.

workingclass artist on November 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I know you Hot Airers are so jealous of me …since I live in both Ohio and Colorado I get to campaign in both places the next few days …also I get to see the President twice …also The First Lady is speaking in the town where I live when I am in Ohio … what a great FOUR (that is 4you Schadenfreude ) days before the President and Vice President are elected again

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Keep it up, by all means. Cry me a river. I have a salt water pool. I love to bathe in troll tears.

thatsafactjack on November 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Is this a preview of what we should expect on a national scale come November 7th?

MeatHeadinCA on November 2, 2012 at 2:47 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Just don’t vote twice.

MeatHeadinCA on November 2, 2012 at 2:48 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM

LOL! Thank you. You’re a riot!

thatsafactjack on November 2, 2012 at 2:48 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Just for you – it’s way more practical (helps to survive too) to be a shrewd rube than a dumb erudite. You will be starved, especially you looters. The moochers are just dummies, in the modern day plantations, held there by your ‘leaders’, for votes only.

Soon they’ll be found out and ‘pitchforked’, as they s/b. You do not promote education or enlightenment at all. Hence this.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:48 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM

You can kiss each other’s azzes, as many times as your mathematical prowess desires.

In the end, may you all suffocate from what you consume, each other’s sh*t, not Beluga caviar. You totally deserve each other.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM

you can now count up to three …now try four …as in the four more years President Obama and Vice President Biden will serve… “J-O-B-S.”

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Fixed it for you.

Christien on November 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Wriggle and writhe contemptible troll
straining and whining, you are so droll.
The hours grow short, this you know,
Your darling is lost, four days to go.

thatsafactjack on November 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM

MeatHeadinCA on November 2, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Get lots of popcorn and champagne, or whatever you like to drink. They need to get lots of Kleenex, diapers/Depends.

I need to get a bigger heart. My first one can’t cope with all the Schadenfreude, or schadenfruede, as the erudite one calls it.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM

All right this has to end. Obama is getting a major bounce from the hurricane and people in these parts are acting as if Romney is going to win in a landslide.

Matt

mboyle1988 on November 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM

On a serious note, avoid the crowds for a few days…

MeatHeadinCA on November 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I know you Hot Airers are so jealous of me …since I live in both Ohio and Colorado..

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Confirmed: Altitude sickness root cause of Obama loss at first debate

BobMbx on November 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Matt

mboyle1988 on November 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Bwahahaha

Concern noted.

MeatHeadinCA on November 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Hey, U2denver, how do you think Obama would say Schadenfreude in Austrian?

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM

On a serious note, avoid the crowds for a few days…

MeatHeadinCA on November 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Not to worry, good one. You too.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Schadenfreude, there appears to be something beige and slimy repeatedly launching its larval awww, lookee! baby-toothed! chubby little self at you.

*FedExes you a small salt shaker*

RushBaby on November 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I like that last verse. I’m thinking of compiling them all for the Tuesday into one long poem, ‘Ode on a troll’ perhaps, after the style of Shelley. LOL!

thatsafactjack on November 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Axelturd, er Adolf, in desperado mode, has released a bunch of old and new trolls. It’s funny how they tag-team, all a futile operation. I hope he pays them and goes broke.

I also hope that he and them end in Hades on Tuesday night.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Bubba:
“NOT EVEN EYEEEEE COULD HELP THESE STORM VICTIMS!!!!!”

Strike Hornet on November 2, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Call me please Cali I have news.

RushBaby on November 2, 2012 at 2:57 PM

RushBaby on November 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Thank you RB. We are the ones who know how to defend ourselves. They will go the way of slugs and magots.

Schadenfreude on November 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM

He’s obviously senile, must be all thoe hamburgers that he ate :)… Oh, and he cigar habit :)…

jimver on November 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM

U2denver on November 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM

A couple things. I didn’t bother quibbling with the 1,900 estimate, but it was pretty generous. They didn’t even fill half a high-school sized gym because the press risers took up a 5th of the space. Ryan’s rally was in the middle of a weekday, too. Two, this was on a college campus, so there are plenty of young people in his constituency with flexible schedules to attend. There were also professors giving extra credit for it (but of course), so presumably missing class was also an option. Three, I never said anyone was dumb. I merely printed his mistake on the state identification. Four, Bill Clinton is VERY popular and yet, this was a lackluster rally. You’re kinda making my point. And, regardless of the size of the crowd, there was not very much magic or excitement, which surprised me because Clinton is a good campaigner.

Mary Katharine Ham on November 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I think some of you have misinterpreted what the girl looking at her laptop meant when she said “I have class”. She meant that she wouldn’t be caught dead in the same room with that grifter Bill Clinton who wouldn’t know what class was if it bit him in the ass!

inspectorudy on November 2, 2012 at 2:59 PM