Barack Obama, still the firearms salesman-in-chief

posted at 3:21 pm on November 2, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

I always find it amusing that, despite President Obama’s copious command-and-control efforts to stimulate both the economy at large and his politically-preferred pet industries (“green energy” springs to mind), all of which have all meandered along miserably, he hasn’t managed to even remotely stymie the one industry that so many liberals would like to see eliminated altogether. In 2008, in anticipation of Barack Obama’s election, gun sales started to surge — and it looks like the prospect of a second Obama term has only fueled that trend. Via InfoWars:

“People are definitely scared of a president who has voted when he was a senator against guns,” Anthony Bouchard, director of the Wyoming Gun Owners Association in Cheyenne told the Wyoming Star Tribune. “[If Obama gets re-elected] he’s in a lame-duck session and he can do the things he wants to do. That’s what we’re afraid of.”

Irvin Walker, owner of Triggers Gun Shop in Mills, called Obama, “the best gun salesmen we’ve had,” and said he was expecting another wave of customers after November 6 if Obama defeats Mitt Romney, despite the fact that sales are already riding high. …

Despite prolonged economic turmoil, gun sales have bucked the trend, with both Ruger and Smith & Wesson operating at maximum capacity and struggling to keep up with demand.

With Ruger’s sales up 86 percent since Obama took office, the company’s previous quarter sales demolished all expectations, with sales totaling $118 million dollars. …

Slavo highlights the graphs below which depict how soaring gun sales are closely related with the election season.

I actually think that there’s a bit of a chicken-and-egg thing going on here, and that, along with other factors, the rising cultural acceptability of gun ownership, concealed carry permits, recreational shooting, etcetera is helping to fuel along gun sales (huzzah!) — but there can be no doubt that a pervasive fear of big, intrusive, too-powerful government is a legitimate component of what’s lately motivating people to get themselves to the gun store and the shooting range. Just chalk it up to “bitter clingers” doing what they do best, I s’pose: Bitterly clinging. ‘Murika.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Nope. Its Obama.

BobMbx on November 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM

This is a telestock?

mrsknightley on November 2, 2012 at 4:49 PM

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Not one of their better offerings.

Cindy Munford on November 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Just a helpful household hint:

Try making a new file for your filing cabinet! I made mine using an attractive, easy to see, red hanging file. I keep it right next to my “Important Papers” file. It has a lovely label with a very plain, but large font that is quite easy to read. It contains the “Bills of Sale” documenting my sales to private parties, from distant states, of all the weapons I used to own.

Fatal on November 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Oldnuke on November 2, 2012 at 4:32 PM

The 1911 is a solid choice. The USP 45 Fullsize just fits my hand perfectly.

pseudonominus on November 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM

HotAirLib on November 2, 2012

..HotLips!…like everything else you’re no good at…YOU are not a good hummer!…so try and sing!
…sing DAISY!
…sing H A L !
…sing DAISY!
(I’ve been spelling Daisy with an e periodically to see if the HotLips lunatic would even notice….but nooooooooooooooooo…dumbazz is probably scratching it’s crotch and wondering why we want it to sing about a BB gun!)

KOOLAID2 on November 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Amen, bro – ‘cept I use an AK with four 40s/five 30s and a CZ with 4 12-round mags. Still deciding on the shotgun, though; giving myself ’til Tuesday to make up my mind…

affenhauer on November 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Check out the Mossberg 930SPX. Fastest, smoothest semi I’ve ever run.

And, buy more mags. I and most of the people I know have upwards of 30-50 mags for AKs and ARs; and at least 10-12 per pistol. Mags are the most common cause of malfunctions; and even the expensive ones aren’t too expensive when you consider the alternative.

Solaratov on November 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Fatal on November 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Excellent. *rubs hands*

SailorMark on November 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

The correct nomenclature is “telestock” :)

pseudonominus on November 2, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Depends, he could have meant “slide fire”. I am eying one for my AK, or 9mm AR.

cozmo on November 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Exactly! Oh, plus I sold a couple at the gun show to support my terrible gambling habit.

SailorMark on November 2, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Curse those Indian Casinos!

MrsKnightley, those slidefire stocks look fun. Thus I expect the ATF to randomly create a new regulation banning them as they have done to similar types of devices. I don’t think I’d want to pay for the ammo though. There are gun ranges even here in Oregon that have yearly “machine gun” shoots if I want that experience. I keep missing them since I got into firearms last year but I hear its fun.

oryguncon on November 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I don’t understand y’all needin’ so many high capacity mags.

Spray & pray?

Do it right, and it don’t take much to put the rest in flight.

cozmo on November 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM

All purchased within the last four years.

ShadowsPawn on November 2, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Six new rifles.

Nine new handguns.

Ammo (assorted) in bulk.

And I just received four new stamps for my “stamp collection”.

Solaratov on November 2, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Depends, he could have meant “slide fire”. I am eying one for my AK, or 9mm AR.

cozmo on November 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Yes, that’s what he meant and what I linked to above.

mrsknightley on November 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM

oryguncon on November 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Yes, they do look amazingly fun, and amazingly illegal. When Mr. K. showed me a demo video I was all, “How is the government OK with this?” But the company whose website I linked to above has a letter from BATF stating they’re legal.

I feel like if O gets reelected this kind of thing will get targeted pretty quick.

mrsknightley on November 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM

mrsknightley on November 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Didn’t see where you linked.

As for the BATF, they kind of got skewered with either the Hellfire, or that rotary trigger. Don’t remember which. Still have one of those rotary triggers…somewhere.

cozmo on November 2, 2012 at 5:48 PM

so, red prepare contingencies and blues not? is that it?

nathor on November 2, 2012 at 4:37 PM

No, I think its much deeper than that. “Blues” have bought into a culture of dependancy – which isn’t a “bad” thing as long as you limit it to depending on family or friends (or yourself). “Blues” take it much futher and look to government to FORCE someone else to provide for their needs or wants. Someone who has more than the Blue does, or more than that other person “needs”. You know, the rich, the billionaires, the 1% etc. If a Blue feels a need or an urge, he looks to government to meet it and if government does not provide instant gratification, he poops in the hall, or poops on a cop car, or burns down his neighborhood (right after looting to meet his “needs” for a big screen T.V. or a case of beer) and engages in one of the Blues favorite activities and riots.

“Reds” are far more likely to believe in self-reliance and individualism. They are almost always willing to share with ALL (As long as it isn’t “sharing” by way of government force – which isn’t sharing at all!) and believe they are RESPONSIBLE for themselves, their families or even their friends. When a Red feels a need or an urge, they look to themselves to fill that need, and if they can’t – they blame themselves, then they dig a hole (or borrow a bucket), line it with a trash bag (or one of those evil plastic shopping bags) and poops in it, burns a fire in his woodburning stove, pulls out a bag of home-made jerky and settles down to a night of re-loading ammo or checking on the home-brew.

P.S. I HATE that whole red / blue thing. After all, the media switched the colors up a couple of decades ago when they realized that having the Dems associated with their communist bretheren right out in the open like that, might actually be costing them some votes.

Fatal on November 2, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Fatal on November 2, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Lots of good words, wasted.

Its like an undecipherable language to them. They don’t have the mental capacity to understand.

cozmo on November 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Fatal on November 2, 2012 at 5:54 PM

bub I read this after watching the 6 minute video of the single mom who had been lines all day in NY…no water, no food, can’t go to work, kids can’t go the school (where they are fed two meals and snack), no relatives to rely on.

“They need to take care of us!!”

I can’t imagine that kind of dependency.

DanMan on November 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Supposed to be……………..

All purchased within the last four years.

ShadowsPawn on November 2, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Six new rifles.

Nine new handguns.

Ammo (assorted) in bulk.

And I just received four new stamps for my “stamp collection”.

Solaratov on November 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM

OT: I just got a “vote history audit” for me and several of my neighbors in the mail. I know it’s public record and all but that’s just creepy.

joekenha on November 2, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I just got one of those today. I’m not sure that I like the idea of someone mailing that to everybody and their uncle.

Yeah. Kinda creepy.

Solaratov on November 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Fatal on November 2, 2012 at 5:54 PM

“They need to take care of us!!”

I can’t imagine that kind of dependency.

DanMan on November 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

For those who are concerned about how Mitt Romney’s religion might affect his behavior in office, the following is straight out of the handbook given to all LDS local leaders for guidance (emphasis added):

Self-reliance is the ability, commitment, and effort to provide the spiritual and temporal necessities of life for self and family. As members become self-reliant, they are also better able to serve and care for others.
Church members are responsible for their own spiritual and temporal well-being. Blessed with the gift of agency, they have the privilege and duty to set their own course, solve their own problems, and strive to become self-reliant. Members do this under the inspiration of the Lord and with the labor of their own hands.
When Church members are doing all they can to provide for themselves but cannot meet their basic needs, generally they should first turn to their families for help. When this is not sufficient or feasible, the Church stands ready to help.

AesopFan on November 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM

mrsknightley on November 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM

mrsknightley on November 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM

mrsknightley on November 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Dangit woman! Stop teasing me.

Its just that I’m cheap and the slide fire is still a little too pricey…for now.

I’ll be content with the finger trick for a little while longer. Just harder to do with the 7.62 AK.

cozmo on November 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Hmmmmmmmm …. sell my 10/22 tomorrow at the gun show????

PolAgnostic on November 2, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Only if you sell it to me!

Oh, wait, never mind, I live in Kalifornia. [waves sadly]

Mary in LA on November 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Just trying to prove my linkage bona fides. Anyway, we don’t own one yet as Mr. K. has been stocking up on food, water, supplies, etc. He’s about as cheap as you are, I reckon, but I can’t get mad at him since he’s trying to take care of us.

mrsknightley on November 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Sandy and Katrina are both examples of “What Happens When the ETB Cards Run Out.

No one has heard a peep from the bottom of the barrel poor Appalachian States who just got dumped with feet of snow. Power is out, people hungry, but not a complaint as crews work around the clock. In fact, people bring out hot drinks to the crews pulling 18 and 24 hour shifts.

Instead, all eyes are locked on New York in kind of a sick shock as a certain demographic demands “Services, right NOW, mofo or their are going to be “Marches!”, while their young loot and rape.

Bulletchaser on November 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM

It is not a bad idea to have a supply of guns, but that is not the way to fight a revolution. One thing we learned from the Vietcong: let your enemy be your supply source. That means when the government goons come after your guns, take theirs instead. As I’ve often said, I don’t worry about having a weapon once this revolution starts. There will lots of them lying around on the ground.

MikeA on November 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM

MikeA, IIRC the NVA/VC were supplied by the Chinese and the Russians.

I have been on a gun buying tear under obama.
Polish P64, Ruger 10/22, Ruger MKIII, Kahr CW9, CZ52, Kel-Tec P11, Taurus 24/7 OSS, and a Remington 870 Express Magnum. The funny thing is that obama has had nothing to do with it. I have a sickness. :P

I was at the gun store the other day and the salesmen were saying they were going to raise prices after the election. I guess they were trying to scare people into thinking obama was going to win and buying immediately.
If Romney wins I expect to see a downtick in sales for them.

Hard Right on November 2, 2012 at 9:03 PM