Scott Brown ad in MA: Vote for the person, not the party

posted at 2:41 pm on November 1, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

The Senate race in Massachusetts between Scott Brown and Elizabeth Warren has certainly been one of the more dramatic of the election season (Fauxcahontas, hem hem), and while the polls have generally tended to indicate a lean towards Warren, the race is still squarely in the toss-up category. There comes a time in every campaign, however, when you finally have to settle on defining your overarching closeout message, and it looks like Brown is buttoning up the fight with the pretty classic Massachusetts-y message in this all-positive 60-second ad spot.

A heavy emphasis on bipartisanship and moderation, on voting independently and examining individual issues, on putting people and ideas ahead of party loyalty (and, implicitly, steering clear of party “extremism”)… which all makes sense when the Democratic opponent who appears to be slightly hedging you is the progressive-tax-lovin’ ‘woman of the people’ who put together the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau à la Dodd-Frank, the damaging regulatory bombshell rivaled only by ObamaCare in size and scope. The mind reels.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

melle1228 on November 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I’m not a “party” person myself and I can find more than enough in D.C., to make me feel hopeless, I guess that’s why a like the Tea Party. I think, finally, someone isn’t going to pull the lever and then forget these people and let them go their unbridled length. I understand that there has to be compromise but Republicans never seem to remember that in compromise both sides win and lose, someone needs to keep that front and center.

Cindy Munford on November 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM

So, in my opinion, it is a seat we are worse off having.

astonerii on November 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM

That sounds like the kind of TruCon wishcasting MadCon is fond of.

If we can’t get a Tea Partier in then let’s go full scorched earth and surrender to communism. That’ll teach the GOP. Sure.

CorporatePiggy on November 1, 2012 at 4:34 PM

As a Massachusetts voter I must remind readers here that during the last Senate election, the polls showed Brown down by 10+ points – and he won by a significant margin (I think around 7 points).

Warren’s shrill drone doesn’t sit well and I see little ground support for her outside of diehard Dems who would vote for anyone the party puts up.

Brown by 5+ points.

sultanp on November 1, 2012 at 4:39 PM

“Vote for the person, not the party”
…nice of brown to finally admit he’s a RINO.

TeaPartyNation on November 1, 2012 at 4:42 PM

That sounds like the kind of TruCon wishcasting MadCon is fond of.

CorporatePiggy on November 1, 2012 at 4:34 PM

If you cannot find someone that believes in the constitution, I think we are doomed anyways. Scott Brown is much like Obama in that respect, no love of the constitution.

astonerii on November 1, 2012 at 4:45 PM

How can the people of Mass. be so obtuse?

How can any Native American with decency not be marching in the street against the incredible cheat?

Schadenfreude on November 1, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Good question. You could add to that, How could anyone vote for such a lying scum bag fraud and most likely a felon.

Inside of Rt128 has all the well to do elitist snob Massholes that are just like her. So they would never ever dirty themselves voting for anything but a liberal. In addition to them you have all the inner city poor and some lower middle class that are hard core democrats. They may not be liberal but they are democrats through and through. Out towards the Amherst/Springfield area you have about the same but not quite as elite. Most of the rest of the state is pretty much middle to right leaning folks but like the country as a whole they are over whelmed by the other two groups. Think of them as flyover folks. My spouse has a small business and I don’t think there has been a single client that has had anything but contempt for BO and Warren. I see far more Brown and Mitt signs than I do Warren and BO. Heck, a few of the cars where I work, (in the IT field), have bumper stickers that make fun of liberals. There are far more conservatives than one would think but there are far more democrats. Mostly because of family tradition.

Frank Enstine on November 1, 2012 at 4:52 PM

“Vote for the person, not the party”
…nice of brown to finally admit he’s a RINO.

I’m afraid that’s about the best you’re going to do for a senator from Massachusetts. The choice here is not between a conservative and a liberal. The choice is between Scott Brown, who is in the center, and Elizabeth Warren, who is on the looney left.

Not convinced yet? Well let’s see. Who did Brown succeed? Kennedy. Teddy Kennedy, whose passing elevated John Kerry to Massachusetts’ senior senator.

Kennedy. Kerry. Warren.

Brown sounds refreshingly different to me.

EconomicNeocon on November 1, 2012 at 5:10 PM

The partisan democrats in MA will vote party, especially since they are worried that Romney may win the presidency. They want control of the senate to sandbag a Romney presidency. Unfortunately Brown will likely lose.

bayview on November 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Brown’s going to win, and it matters.

Brown’s going to win because he’s managed to make the divide not Dem vs Republican (which he’d lose), but blue collar vs. white collar (which he wins). Largely, he succeeded at this because Elizabeth Warren is nearly as bad a candidate as Martha Coakley was. Thank God for the stupidity and arrogance of Massachusetts Dems.

And it matters because he’s a vote for:

- Republican Majority leader and committee chairs
- Obamacare repeal
- permanent extension of Bush tax cuts
- sensible energy policy
- spending cuts, tax reforms, entitlement reform, and on and on.

Yes, he’s also a vote for:
- repealing DOMA
- global warming nonsense
- abortion on demand
and lots of other liberal issues.

Guess what. Elizabeth Warren would also support all that crap, and wouldn’t be with us on the important fiscal and economic issues. And if Reid is the majority leader, we won’t even get the chance to vote on most of Romney’s most important proposals.

ClintACK on November 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Most of the rest of the state is pretty much middle to right leaning folks

Frank Enstine on November 1, 2012 at 4:52 PM

You mean like Barney Frank’s district right?

WryTrvllr on November 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Brown will never get a dime from me.

southsideironworks on November 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM

You can expect a no vote from him on repealing Obamacare.

rickv404 on November 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM

<blockquoteYou can expect a no vote from him on repealing Obamacare.

rickv404 on November 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM

If, by some remote chance, he does hold onto the seat, he will undoubtedly vote no on Obozocare repeal to gain favor with ALL the rabid leftists in MA, who will then forego nominating another marxist in 6 years.

Right.

Give him some slack. He’s learning.

WryTrvllr on November 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Brown is campaigning on saving federal funding of Planned Parenthood and only voting with the Republicans 50% of the time.

18-1 on November 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Another MA Leftist Repubican Richard Tisei has a shot at winning a House seat on the North Shore. He’s for genderless bathrooms, in favor of deconstructing marriage and is an extreme pro-abort. He’s running against a Democrat thug from a crime family who believes in most of the issues championed by Richard Tisei. I live in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and it is a Leftist sh*te hole. I’ll be blanking this race and have sent contributions to conservatives running in other states. There is no point stocking the House and Senate with diseased RINOs who will work tirelessly against conservative governance.

vilebody on November 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM

You mean like Barney Frank’s district right?

WryTrvllr on November 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Yeah that’s right and if you take the time to look you will see that Frank never won with 100% of the vote. Like I said before. The majority of the people here are hard core traditional democrats. Their mommies and daddies were democrat, their grand mommies and grand daddies were democrat. Heck, their whole family is democrat. That doesn’t mean they are liberal like Warren or even beleive what Warren does. They vote democrat because they were born democrat, Fine I get it. You don’t like the people here in MA and you don’t like Brown. If you live here like I do then vote for Warren or Micky Mouse for all I care. It’s not going to change my vote from Brown because you don’t like him or MA residents. My goal, as is lots of others here, is to get the Senate back into the red and I don’t care if Brown only votes 50% of the time. A red Senate means no more Reid. No more dem committee leaders and a better chance to not get a Warren type person on the SC. At the very least that alone is worth a vote for Brown.

As far as Brown “vote for the man” goes. He’s trying to break through that born a democrat shell and say “look at me. I’m more like you than Warren is. Don’t be a democrat robot.” Will it work? Maybe maybe not. I know some people that disagree with Warren and think she is scum but they are democrats and will vote democrat until their dieing day regardless of the issues. Is it stupid? Yeah but tradition is strong and hard to break.

As for the people that will not vote for Brown on principle. Good for you. I wish I had the courage to put myself before my country.

Frank Enstine on November 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Don’t need Brown anymore, he can just go away

LurkerDood on November 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Massachusetts voted for Reagan. So arguing that you could not do better than Brown is BS.

astonerii on November 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

18-1 on November 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM

You are right as usual.

But I would rather be in a foxhole with Senator Brown than Governor Christie.

BTW, Ann Coulter is a poorer judge of men she wants to worship than my first wife and that is an impressive accomplishment.

IlikedAUH2O on November 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM

ClintACK on November 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Yes, but in the end, when the voters look at what the congress did and what parts of the congress did, the vast majority are not highly informed and what happens is they see Scott Brown (R) voted for bad legislation along with the Democrats and then they figure, there is no real difference between the two parties, and end up more likely to vote Democrat than if they saw bad policy enacted only by democrats.

In the end, every bill that Brown backs along with Republicans will be watered down to gain his vote, becoming progressive policy which fails very frequently to get the results voters demand. So the Republicans and more importantly conservatism look inept and incapable of dealing with the issues voters want addressed. Once again, making them more likely to vote for democrats in the future.

So, as I said before, I think we can live without a scott brown in the senate abusing our banner like Ayers abuses the flag.

astonerii on November 2, 2012 at 10:16 AM