New Romney web ad: Bill’s BBQ couldn’t take four years of President Obama

posted at 8:01 pm on November 1, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Since it’s not a web ad featuring a super cool, hipster-celebrity making suggestive analogies about President Obama’s oh-so-dreamy and glamorous political qualities, I doubt it will get nearly the same traffic as Team Obama’s recent Lena Dunham ad — which is most unfortunate, because rather than a cotton-candy, war-on-women appeal to the youths, we actually see the real-world effect that Obama’s policies have had on hardworking, middle-class Americans.

President Obama’s policies have been brutal to the business world, and small businesses in particular. An onslaught of red-tape regulations, ObamaCare, the threat of higher taxes, generally poor economic growth — none of these have been kind to entrepreneurs or owners trying to grow their outfits. Despite the Obama administration’s several showy moves to come to the aid of small business, their vital signs just haven’t picked up, via Bloomberg Businessweek:

The measure estimates employment at independent companies with fewer than 20 employees that use Intuit’s online payroll product. Companies with fewer than 20 workers make up nearly 90 percent private employers in the U.S. …

Companies with fewer than 20 employees have actually shed jobs during the economic recovery; the Intuit Small Business Employment Index was 0.9 percent lower in October 2012 than in July 2009. Moreover, since May, the index has moved in the opposite direction from BLS estimates of overall employment, with Intuit reporting a loss of 10,000 small business jobs in each of the last two months alone. …

Compensation and hours are similarly weak. Adjusting for inflation and seasonality, monthly compensation for all employees (including the owners) at businesses with fewer than 20 employees is 10.2 percent lower than when the president took office.

Ouch. As Team Romney showcases here, it’s just been too much for some businesses to take.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

…that’s a good size rib in the picture!

KOOLAID2 on November 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Jake Tapper‏@jaketapper RT @MarkLandler: Obama crowd counts today: 2,600 in Green Bay; 4,500 in Las Vegas. Not impressive for the last week of a campaign.

More bad news for Obama.

bluegill on November 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Chryslers employees in CHINA thank you for your tax Dollars.

donabernathy on November 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM

…this just is not right!

KOOLAID2 on November 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I hate this President, and everything he brought with him with the exception of his daughters. May they grow up to be nothing like their evil parents.

Midas on November 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I loved Bill’s Barbecue, went there quite often.

The local Richmond stations are airing this story (the web ad angle) but they have another barbecue place saying their business was saved by Obama.

It was quite interesting seeing the way they spun the story as one of partisan hackery by Bill’s Barbecue, but truth telling from the other business owner.

I think it was WTVR that aired that story. The local CBS affiliate.

ButterflyDragon on November 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I’ve never been to a Bill’s Bar-B-Q.

Anyone here been to a Bill’s in Richmond?

jaime on November 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I loved Bill’s Barbecue, went there quite often.

ButterflyDragon on November 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Sorry to hear that.

jaime on November 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM

ButterflyDragon on November 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Well, not sorry that you liked it, or that you went there often. I’m sorry that it has closed and you can’t go back.

jaime on November 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Devastating.

nitzsche on November 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Bronco Bama makes me sad too.

Someone said this on a different story, but it seems to work here also.

Flange on November 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM

All 13 Bill’s BBQs closed. They had one heckuva run. All good things come to an end, but it is very sad to see someone’s American Dream die like this.

Christien on November 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM

OUCH – that will get you.

gophergirl on November 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

This is all part of the Obamacare bill actually. Cut out good tasting food by driving the providers out of business. Drive down wages so we spend less on food. Increase taxes on soda and high calorie drinks.

By 2016 we’ll no longer be the fattest country in the world.

DeathtotheSwiss on November 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I began my career in Richmond in the early eighties near 7th and Main. Bill’s was either on the same block or right around the corner. I can’t remember which. The barbecue was great, the people were terrific and the prices were fair. You could get in and out of there in 20 minutes, less than 5 if you ordered take out. When I saw the sign in the still picture on the previous page my heart dropped. It was one of those, “Uh, oh” moments.

I now live in Winston Salem, North Carolina and small businesses here are getting killed. I would bet that the average local shopping center (not the big ones) is at less than 50% occupancy at this time and it’s getting worse each day. I’ve never seen it so bad for small business in my entire life.

ncjetsfan on November 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Do the ads have any impact at this point?

Jackalope on November 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Too bad for Bill and the rest of America that we had to suffer this fool for 4 years.

Apparently Bishop E.W. Jackson can’t stand Obama and the Democrats, either. Holy cow, I just saw the video on BOR.

Philly on November 1, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Link to Mitt’s Body Man on Twitter

This is his traveling press secretary

gophergirl on November 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

ncjetsfan on November 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Have relatives in W-S and I love it.

Philly on November 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

gophergirl on November 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

May I please have the link to Mitt’s Body Man when you get a chance. I had to do a complete factory restall of this laptop and lost all the links. Thx

CoffeeLover on November 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Damn you to hell Barack Obama. The uncertainty and fear that you have promulgated upon good decent people across America, shame on you.

skree on November 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Link to Mitt’s Body Man on Twitter

This is his traveling press secretary

gophergirl on November 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

ty ty ty

CoffeeLover on November 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Even if Bill went bankrupt, he can still fall into Obama’s safety net and continue comfortably with his life. That is the larger point here (which apparently sailed right over Romney’s head like so many spitballs in 5th grade Geometry class).

akaniku on November 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

buttt…but..he said that GM is alive and Osama is dead and Big Bird will live and Romney has a dog and I deserve free birth control :(
These meany 1 %ers are racissssssts!!!!

burrata on November 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Do the ads have any impact at this point?

Jackalope on November 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I’ve already voted, but this one made an impact. :(

itsspideyman on November 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Powerful.

backwoods conservative on November 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

@charlesmurray

My sustaining mantra in the last week: Nations get the government they deserve. If Obama wins, we asked for it. And anyway, I’m old.

me: this is just to damn close for my blood. LowInfo Voters + Leftist Media + $$$$$$$ to VIPs/self-interested groups + identity politcis + habit + gullibility .eq. powerful force

if barry wins this he will claim a mandate to be a super_a**…trash talking everyone who has any objection to any part of his agenda.

trash talker in chief…will get much worse…the ‘right wing’ fever/bubble will pop….the Rs will go along or be targeted.

taxes are the least of our worries. Taxes can be repealed. but the solidification of the Left is a much different story

for example, carbon tax is bad. One big reason is that it ratifies and empowers a false narrative fun by ‘experts’/pols/media complex

r keller on November 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

The folks at ThinkProgress.com are saying that Bill’s shut down because the product sucked and they violated health regulations, and that other BBQ joints are expanding in the area.

In that case, this proves that creative destruction and the free market work quite well. Either way (Obama’s bad economy or market forces) I see this as a win for Romney’s approach to business & govt.

Had Bill’s been a big supporter of Obama, I’ll bet they’d have received stimulus money instead.

liberty0 on November 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Yes, Bill’s probably went under because the economy sucks, and Obama is damn sure not helping.

But in fairness, some stiff competition had been popping up. Buz and Ned’s has gotten pretty big here and IMO is better BBQ.

But I’m conflicted because they are apparently Obama people.

Bat Chain Puller on November 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM

why the hell didn’t they play this ad during the convetion?

WTF were they thinking? This is g*ddam gold!

This ad would have been huge in Ohio. Unrecoverable voters for Obama, huge.

I’m am stunned at how inept Team Romney’s ad campaign has been.

Since last spring, I’ve been waiting for some ads like this. I know it’s not a 90 or 30 second spot, but good lord, you’ve got the money to buy the real estate.

Pray this runs in Wisconsin and PA. Perfect Mid-West ad.

budfox on November 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Who knew, Barry is conducting ‘a war on small businesses’. Guess they didn’t contribute their ‘fair share’ to his re-election campaign.

GarandFan on November 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

But I’m conflicted because they are apparently Obama people.

Bat Chain Puller on November 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM

That would be the reason they are succeeding. Can you say “quid pro quo”?

SagebrushPuppet on November 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

akaniku on November 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Some Americans don’t want to fall into a Government safety net..

They built it before..

They can build it again under a Romney Administration…

Electrongod on November 1, 2012 at 8:28 PM

“Have relatives in W-S and I love it.”

I do too, although the historical society here just established a monument commemorating the Black Panthers for their past “contributions to the community”. That was embarrassing but on the whole it’s a wonderful place to live and raise a family. (Please don’t mention this to any liberals who are looking to move out of communities which they have already destroyed. Thank you in advance.)

ncjetsfan on November 1, 2012 at 8:28 PM

akaniku on November 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Don’t you get it? This isn’t just a loss of business, it’s a loss of a way of life. These people invested their heart and soul in the business and it’s gone. They were working contributing members of the community. They added a spice to the life around them.

AND NOW THEY’RE GONE.

Do you expect them to say “oh that’s okay, Obama is giving me money”?

The larger point is IT’S NOT about the money, it’s about standing on your own two feet and being able to pursue your own dreams.

itsspideyman on November 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Lost my favorite dim sum place a couple weeks ago. Went in a week before they closed, and the manager came by to tell us the bad news. He looked positively stricken and kept looking off into the middle distance to avoid getting emotional. When I see tough old Asian men do that, I know it’s bad.

Christien on November 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM

bills did suck for the last lotsa years but it was a place most that ate there did so for the nostalgia, like crackerbarrel, the food sux but its neat…
the other bbq shop that is acting like they are the best thing ever sux too, but they have a newer hipster type atmosphere, so it doesnt matter to the im cool because i pay to much for crap crowd…
they only survived this long because they got loans to ride out hard times.
i am sure bills could have done the same but was smarter to fold instead of getting in debt to the government imo.

trailortrash on November 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Do the ads have any impact at this point?

Jackalope on November 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

You kidding? America is full up with stupid. Shouldn’t even be close.

Lanceman on November 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

But I’m conflicted because they are apparently Obama people.

Bat Chain Puller on November 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM

That would be the reason they are succeeding. Can you say “quid pro quo”?

SagebrushPuppet on November 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I can’t believe I’m defending them, but no. They started during W’s presidency and were growing fast before 2008. They’re successful because they have a good product.

Bat Chain Puller on November 1, 2012 at 8:34 PM

LOL Neener Neener. (Oh I’m sorry. Was that too harsh?)

—no I’m not 12—-

bluealice on November 1, 2012 at 8:34 PM

akaniku on November 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Pride, principles, generational success, financial stability, etc. all matter…not a life on easy street…sounds like one of those spitballs struck you in the temple….

hillsoftx on November 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM

That made my heart hurt :(

JPeterman on November 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I laid it down with my office staff today; four more years of Obama and we ARE downsizing, I don’t know yet who.

Marcus on November 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I don’t know yet who.

Marcus on November 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Anybody with an obama sticker, or people you may suspect of having ‘rat tendencies.

Lanceman on November 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM

trailortrash on November 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

LOL…we had dinner at CB last night and when we left I turned and asked my wife “Am I the only one that things CB sux?”….glad there is 2 of us out there…

hillsoftx on November 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Marcus on November 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

We all know who our O co-workers are….I am so disgusted with these ideological zealots—the choice is so obvious…

hillsoftx on November 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

ncjetsfan on November 1, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I pray the liberals do not destroy that lovely town and its suburbs. Everyone ought to visit W-S.

Philly on November 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Bill’s BBQ also had a location in a small gas station/market west of Richmond on Broad Street. I understand that when Bill’s closed, business dropped off significantly and now the market in the gas station is struggling. A domino effect.

behiker on November 1, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Just saw an Obama ad targeting the NH market(I’m in MA) talking about failed policies of the past and flashing pictures of Bush. LOL. This guy is a piece of work. He’s trying to run against Bush.

Wigglesworth on November 1, 2012 at 8:48 PM

akaniku on November 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

what safety net is that exactly? medicaid… the insurance that will not pay to fix a broken tooth for an adult or to fill a cavity? they only pay to pull teeth out and then they wont pay for partials or dentures! the medicaid that only allows a person with severe trauma to the back 9 whole visits to a chiro to get better? yeah some safety net… your a bigger fool than i thought…. oh yeah hmmm unemployment .. which only pays a portion of your lost income and isnt enough to pay the rent much less anything else… yeah the safety net is so great with your man. you are in serious need of a psychiatrist my friend .. but dont count on the government they wont pay for it!

katee bayer on November 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM

WHY DOES OBAMA HATE NEW YORKERS?

Go look at Drudge…….it looks like KATRINA ALL OVER AGAIN.

Hurricane Sandy…….OBAMA’S KATRINA!!!

The residents of Staten Island are pleading for help from elected officials, begging for gasoline, food and clothing three days after Sandy slammed the New York City borough.

“We’re going to die! We’re going to freeze! We got 90-year-old people!” Donna Solli told visiting officials. “You don’t understand. You gotta get your trucks down here on the corner now. It’s been three days!”

Staten Island was one of the hardest-hit communities in New York City. More than 80,000 residents are still without power. Many are homeless, and at least 19 people died on Staten Island because of the storm.

PappyD61 on November 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I think the trashing of the dollar has also hurt small businesses. All their costs have been going up, but it’s difficult to pass on those costs to consumers in a weak economy.

Wigglesworth on November 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Here’s the link.

Tell me this doesn’t look like the people at the SuperDome?

Should we say Why does Obama hate white people? Did he blow up any levys or use his ocean machine to stir that up into those rich whities in their beach houses?

PappyD61 on November 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I loved Bill’s Barbecue, went there quite often.

I think it was WTVR that aired that story. The local CBS affiliate.

ButterflyDragon on November 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

How, pray tell, are they claiming their business was *saved* by Obama?

And if the answer is government loans, then they’re lying because that is MY TAX DOLLARS SUBSIDIZING THEM, not Obama “saving” them.

Dark Star on November 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM

bluegill ,President Obama is in Cincinnati on Sunday ,tickets are gone capacity over 13,000 ,so don’t cry too much for his week… after all he had the gop convention keynote speaker Christie campaigning for him ,and the President has been winning most polls ..good week actually

U2denver on November 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Marcus on November 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

We did the same to our employees last month, told them that there were no guarantees for anybody , as long as Moonbeam keeps raising taxes while giving tax breaks to Hollywood millionaires and billionaires who fly on private jets. Then there are thelocal taxes and parcel taxes goping up .
A few employees , who were exited about the minimum wage going up to $ 10 .00 are suddenly feeling the effects of mindless leftism .
But their leader tells me they would do OK because they will get unemployment and welfare and then disability and then other stuff , so they are not interested in working anyway.
Atleast now I won’t feel guilty when we let them go .

burrata on November 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM

This video is every bit as dishonest and disgusting as the Democrats’ attacks on Bain.

Alpha_Male on November 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I’m afraid that this ad didn’t speak to me. While I’m sorry for Bill’s BBQ, part of the free market is creative destruction in which businesses that for one reason or another, can’t compete, go out of business.

So, what I would need from an ad like this is the specifics of why Obama is to blame and not say, poor business practices on the part of Bill’s. Show me why Obama is to blame and I’ll find it a more effective ad. Or show me a larger pattern of failings that occur under Obama and I can infer blame to the President.

I’m not defending Obama by any means, I just want more out of an ad than a sad story.

PackerBronco on November 1, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I was born in Richmond although I live in Ohio and Colorado now …how come other bbq businesses are thriving … I thought the repubs always said all it takes is hard work and if someone fails it is their fault.. oh that’s right except when you can scapegoat the President

U2denver on November 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Here’s the link.

Tell me this doesn’t look like the people at the SuperDome?

PappyD61 on November 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Hmm, looks like all that food, clothing & fleece blankets Romney collected in Ohio, which Andrea Mitchell & the rest of MSNBC mocked him for, might come in handy, huh?

Dark Star on November 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM

U2denver on November 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM

70+ dead & you sociopaths call it a “good week.”

Also, if you think Christie was “campaigning FOR Obama” and not FOR Chris Christie, I’ve got some Jersey Shore beach property to sell ya.

Dark Star on November 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Bush ain’t on the ballot … but low knowledge voters might not notice.
Sad really, how Bush took all the slings and arrows the media and the Dhimmirats threw at thim without pushing back. Guess it was his nature to keep the principles of the Presidency untarnished.
After Bill Clinton it is easy to understand this.

Missilengr on November 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Remember, folks, let’s not feed the trolls! Let them starve.

Mary in LA on November 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM

What’s the big deal. The rat-eared wonder told us the private sector is doing fine. I’m certain Bill’s BBQ employees would agree, right?

Happy Nomad on November 1, 2012 at 9:12 PM

akaniku on November 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

You have been eating way too much socialist pig. Too bad you didn’t try Bill’s, not half bad. You’ll starve.

Bmore on November 1, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Darkstar ,your star power is burning very very very low …the point is Christie definitely helped Obama… and you are so twisted trying to make a political point on the back of Americans who died this week …if you were smarter than a first grader or more ethical than Richard Nixon you would see the good week comment was in response to bluegill’s nonsense about Obama having a bad political week which is clearly not true …

U2denver on November 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I am a born and raised Virginian (Richmond). I moved to TN over 16 years ago when I got married and we just moved back to the state over the summer. One of the things I looked forward to the most about being back was Bill’s BBQ. It’s North Carolina type BBQ (vinegar based) as opposed to what I got in TN (Tomato based).

As we drove around looking for the old restaurants so I could have one, my heart sank as each one had a “Closed” sign out front.

I missed them while in TN and now I’ll never, ever have another one.

Thanks, Obama.

tnmama on November 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Should that have read……not worth the ban for the idiot socialist pig………..

Bmore on November 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Keep in mind folks. Though these tears were not sweet, the tears of the trolls and all the progressive socialist pigs of our land will be.

Bmore on November 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM

U2denver on November 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Typical Obot projection — you were the one making the storm “political” not me.

And again: you’re a fool for thinking Christie “helped” Obama –he only “helped” him with the same sociopaths like you who were supporting him anyway.

And I don’t associate with sociopaths, so buzz off.

Dark Star on November 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Dark Star, I love ya, but you do realize you’re not gonna make any kind of a dent on that one, right. Best to scroll on by.

I, personally, am looking forward to much troll-head-exploding on November 7, followed by some long-overdue swings of the mighty BanHammer. :-)

Mary in LA on November 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM

A vet in Key West told me that she was cutting the staff in half and the half that would go would be the ones that supported Dear Leader. She meant it. Actions have consequences.

Dingbat63 on November 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Argh. “right.” should be “right?”.

Mary in LA on November 1, 2012 at 9:20 PM

akaniku on November 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

You are living breathing proof that liberals are sick twisted freeks. You think that it is a good thing that people have to use a safety net. Most people that I know would crawl over burning hot coals before having to go on government assistance, food stamps, welfare, section 8 housing, etc. What you consider Obama’s safety net is not something to applaud you jackass. Being in the position to have to accept government assistance would shame most hard working people.

You see when government assistance first came about it was called
“Relief”, and people were ashamed to “be on relief” and the busted their hump to get off relief as soon as possible.
Then the liberals changed the title to “Welfare” I suppose that was supposed to signify that the government was looking out for their welfare. People then started to become dependent on it.
Next the liberals changed the name after welfare took on a negitive connatation due to people becoming dependant. Now they call them “Entitlement Programs”. Because you know, people are entitled to other peoples hard earned money without getting off there ass to better themselves or their families.
We now have forth and fifth generations of families who have known nothing but living off of their fellow citizens hard earned money without blinking an eye. 46″ Flatscreen TV.’s with Playstations/Xbox’s in every samn room, cellphones for every damn family member. cars in the driveways but not a working adult living under the roof. Yeah, you go ahead and call that Obama’s safety net, I’ll call it what it really is – the destruction of America.

And before you even think about it, My mom was on welfare when I was young after she divorced my dad, I have 7 siblings. I remember eating the white labled no-name brand canned and packaged goods. My mom worked two jobs and busted her ass to get us off welfare and I will never forget what that did to her.

D-fusit on November 1, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Bill’s had AMAZING limeades.

gatsbysgirlontheside on November 1, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Dark star i guess that means you think 51% of Americans are sociopaths ,that is close to the 47% comment Romney drowned on ,though of course he flipped flopped in public on that one too once he was caught … buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz

U2denver on November 1, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I know of two people who went bust because of Obama. One a sole proprietor and one who owned a small company. Both said the FDA and other agencies were now on steroids; they had so many new and confusing regs that they just gave up and sold. The solo just went bankrupt.

PattyJ on November 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM

As someone born and raised in Richmond VA this really hits hard. I was back east about a month ago and was going to stop by Bills BBQ for a lime aid when I was greated by an abandoned building. I remember always going to Bills on July 4th before fireworks at the Diamond baseball field when I was a little guy… Very sad.

Ampersand on November 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I think many business people give up when they cannot feel confident in the future.
Even when times get rough – most business people will tell you they dig down and work a little harder. Under Obama – people don’t feel like digging down. Most don’t have a good feeling for the future.
I closed my business in 2001 – one month before 9-11……don’t know what it was.
I was glad that Bush was President but the technology around me was changing and I did not want to keep fighting to stay on the cutting edge. Plus my employees were a PITA… most of them young and inexperienced. I thought many of them to succeed and many went on to start their own business or went to greener pastures. I was tired of training people – only to lose them when they started making money for me. I am semi-retired and now work more than I did when I was 30 or 40…..
I take the jobs I want and charge outrageous rates to the people I don’t like…..
Democrats pay 50% extra – Obama supporters get slapped with a 100% increase…..
I have changed a few along the way. There will always be the Kool-Aid drinkers who would rather be buried with dear leader then think for themselves……

Lot’s of people will be buried after Nov. 6th……

redguy on November 1, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Sad.

Tim_CA on November 1, 2012 at 10:05 PM

No God-fearing BBQ restaurants shut down when Reagan was president, I can tell you that damn much right now!

Alpha_Male on November 1, 2012 at 10:20 PM

akaniku on November 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Don’t you ever get tired of being a burden to society? I mean, what’s it been 20, 25 years now?

98ZJUSMC on November 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM

akaniku on November 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Obama’s safety net? Which one is that? Did he set one up with his own money? Set up a charity? No, you say? Well, whose money is he using for “his” safety net? Taxpayers? Yes, but there are fewer of those now thanks to 23 million unemployed. How about the Chinese? Yeah! Let’s just use their money. It’s not as if we ever have to pay it back or anything and we can just print up more money anyhow. So what if that means a gallon of milk costs $30? All those folks swingin’ in Obama’s safety net will be living “comfortably” on their government checks.so they won’t care. Wait! What’s that? There are more people in the net than out of it? Well, that won’t work for long, will it? No, it won’t, akaniku, you economic imbecile. Does it hurt to go through life as ignorant and gullible as you are?

natasha333 on November 1, 2012 at 10:31 PM

You’re doing a heck of a job, Barky. Nice of you to give a speech and blow town to go campaign.

I keep wishing that would turn NJ red, but I doubt it.

My heart and money are going out to the flood victims. My employer is offering matching donations to the Red Cross for flood relief. I hope everyone can spare a dollar or some type of charitable donation to help. I know things are tough. I can’t count how many layoffs I’ve witnessed because of this failed administration. It kills me to see our fellow Americans suffer even more.

Philly on November 1, 2012 at 10:34 PM

skree on November 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Ditto to all the idealogue idiots, cultish followers and hard left radicals that have watched the past four years with glee that their version of America was being realized. As they feasted on the goose, they didn’t understand it also laid the golden eggs. I’m not sure, honestly, that I can ever forgive them for their stupidity and their belief in the Hope and Change that ended up destroying the lives and livelihoods of so many people I know. Damn them all.

idalily on November 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM

GM is alive and Bill’s Barbecue is dead. All 13 locations.

Go away, Bronco Bama. Go away.

Galtian on November 1, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Taxes on small business at record high levels…check….
Burdensome, crushing regulations….check….
Record people on food stamps, welfare, disability…check…

nazo311 on November 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Wow. That tore my guts out. But you know what? The Libs are going to vomit hate when they see it, because that’s the only defense they have left.

njcommuter on November 2, 2012 at 1:07 AM

When I was spending my adolescence and young adulthood in Richmond, I ate at several different Bill’s locations. One of the first to close was the one on Boulevard across from old Parker Field/The Diamond. But the food was the same, very good, at any of them.

It was the old-fashioned drive-in: you could pull up to any numbered spot (covered by awnings to protect from rain) and the waitress would take your order and bring it to the car with a clamp-on tray for the driver’s window. You ate in the car and just put the headlights on when done, she’d be back to take the tray. There was also a diner-style inside for sit-down, but most of the older ones had a very small area, counter and a few tables.

The later ones, like out far West Broad past Parham, had larger dining areas and no drive-in spots.

The BBQ was pulled pork, offered minced or sliced, in what I consider North Carolina style, seasoned lightly with vinegar and pepper, you add your own preferred sauce. Sandwiches came with cole slaw by default, which was strange to my South Carolina-raised taste for BBQ, but I gradually came to appreciate.

They never sold ribs that I remember, it was all platters or sandwiches, slaw & crinkle-cut fries.. They were famous for their homemade pies and specialty sodas like the grape-limeade.

Adjoran on November 2, 2012 at 1:36 AM

..for the record, Richmond, Virginia is 166.1 miles from Roanoke.

“..you didn’t build that!”

God bless these wonderful, hardworking, Americans. Or, as that miserable, menopausal old bag lady troll yaki nikku calls them: red necks and creepers.

IN FIVE MORE DAYS WE TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY AND GIVE THESE PEOPLE REAL HOPE AGAIN!

And God damn to Hell that incompetent, self-centered, egotistical sack of festering pig afterbirth, Barack Obama!

The War Planner on November 2, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Midas on November 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

They’ll probably end up worse. There’s a point when you have to write people off as hopeless causes.

Myron Falwell on November 2, 2012 at 3:40 AM

The War Planner on November 2, 2012 at 2:09 AM

But at least pig afterbirth has A PURPOSE… ;)

Seriously, Obama’s sole purpose in life was to get a nation of patriots united against him… and everyone that’s connected to a toxic ideology whose poisonous roots date back to the age of Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson.

Obama represents the intellectual and moral bankruptcy of the Democrat Party as a whole.

Myron Falwell on November 2, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Yeah, but since Shep and Geraldo aren’t screaming “Mr. President(Bush), where are the trucks”, it’s no big deal.

RADIOONE on November 2, 2012 at 5:15 AM

If Mitt wins, expecct to see 24/7 tragic stories of how cold-hearted money man Mitt failed to show concern for these helpless Americans–betrayed by the rich and powerful.

First attacks along this line will commence Nov 7

“…AP Nov. 7…..even though the great job saver, the very wealthy Mitt Romney was just elected, people are not thinking hope and change anymore, they’re just closing their bankrupt business, knowing there will be no help with restoration coming from the profit seeking private sector..blah, blah, blah

Don L on November 2, 2012 at 6:58 AM

A piece of crap restaurant can’t figure out how to reverse its own quality decline and stay competitive so they blame the government.

I knew before I watched it that there would be zero specifics about what Obama policies sank the restaurant. And I wasn’t disappointed.

Too bad Bill’s legacy will be tarnished forever as former customers begin to speak out about how crap they had become and done nothing to change it.

Plenty of other joints in town who know how to run a restaurant.

Hilarious how Hotair suddenly says businesses don’t have to sink or swim.

Dave Rywall on November 2, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Bill’s Barbecue was an asset to the community. They provided food to our church to help feed the homeless on more than one occasion. We only asked for barbecue but they sent all the trimmings and pie for dessert as well. There are many factors that can force a business to the brink, but big government shouldn’t be one of them.

vamoose on November 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Dave Rywall on November 2, 2012 at 9:40 AM

It’s obvious then you support Romney against the lies in the advertisement that said Romney killed that worker’s wife.

itsspideyman on November 2, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I’m a fairly new resident of Richmond and ate at Bill’s a few times. From what I could tell, they failed because they didn’t produce a good enough product and their prices were too high. They may have led the pack at one time, but the pack caught up and passed them. Other places produce a much better product at a much lower price.

I don’t like Democrat policies on just about anything, and Obama’s policies may have hastened Bill’s demise, but the only way it could have survived long term would have been to produce better products that people wanted at lower prices. They failed to do this just as Obama failed to rally the economy. In business, you go out of business if you fail. I hope the same fate awaits Obama.

JayDick on November 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM