Matthews: Team Romney sure is getting “desperate” in Ohio

posted at 1:21 pm on October 31, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Since Obama is hitting the auto-bailout theme pretty hard in the manufacturing-heavy and still up-in-the-presidential-air state of Ohio, the Left got into quite the tizzy with one of Romney’s attempts to puncture the inflated narrative, with fact-checkers and pundits crying foul. Matthews summarizes the Jeep/China drama at the start of his segment:

Brit Hume summed up the real situation in one succinct tweet:

While it is true that Romney did misstate the facts in that first stump speech in Ohio, the Jeep ad itself is factually correct, and more than anything merely serves to point out that President Obama gave a taxpayer-funded bailout to a company that does practice offshoring — to which Obama has repeatedly professed opposition in principle (well, to outsourcing, anyway, but I digress). Matthews tries to argue that the Jeep production that Chrysler is thinking of creating in China would be for Jeeps that will be sold in China, but as his guest former RNC chairman Michael Steele points out, hello — exports, anyone? American workers can make even more money by shipping products abroad as well as selling them domestically.

Anyways, there is definitely a heavy stench of desperation hanging over this election, but the wind isn’t blowing from the Romney camp.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I predict Mathew’s remaining time on TV is short. Comcast is a for profit company and Mathews show doesn’t have much profit.

dogsoldier on October 31, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Great pro-Romney video by a 8th grade black girl, could it go viral?

anotherJoe on October 31, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Not a fan of children talking (or singing) politics.

Ronnie on October 31, 2012 at 1:50 PM

But this is not in any way comparable to the Dems exploiting children in their idiotic singing commercial. This teenager, clearly beyond her years in ability and intelligence, obviously took the initiative herself and produced her own (substantive) video. It is not Romney or the RNC that made the video. And her video helps our cause, clearly.

anotherJoe on October 31, 2012 at 2:33 PM

On Brett Bair’s panel yesterday, the woman panelist said the local Ohio media criticism of Romney’s ad was, ‘scathing’ and it made my heart drop. For them to paint Romney as a liar(which we know isn’t true)this close to the election in the state Romney has to win to win the election has me sweating. Please someone in Ohio tell me the local press has been fair on Romney’s ad.

kit9 on October 31, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Of course they were! This is the same media that is happily burying the Benghazi story. Four dead people in hideous circumstances.

You don’t think they’d have any problem whatsoever being dishonest about a Romney ad???

These people are all in and I’m actually surprised it’s not worse, although I guess there’s still under a week.

We have known for a long time that not only are we fighting the liberals we also are fighting the media.

Do what you can by talking to those around you and go vote, take your family and some friends. Provided they’re voting R. Tell the ones voting D that their polling takes place November 7.

kim roy on October 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM

dogsoldier on October 31, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I predict the entire on-air Obama campaign team over at MSNBC will be looking for new jobs after Obama looses. There is no upside for keeping them once Obama is repudiated. They don’t bring the ratings, and they most certainly do not bring the respect.

NotCoach on October 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Except for obama, is there anyone more DESPERATE than Chrisssssssy Matthews?

Pork-Chop on October 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

That picture of Mathews says more about desperation than a 1000 words

Ellis on October 31, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Of course he/she knows that, but it’s ok because it’s all about their “cause.” Any act is permissible no matter how vile and despicable as long as it furthers their ideology.

dogsoldier on October 31, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Yes, and liberalism is a religion that is sustained on blind faith alone, where truth, facts, integrity, and honesty are totally irrelevant.

rplat on October 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Resist we much etc.the Ohio poll showing Romney tied was taken before the last debate …they are out today with a new poll showing Obama winning ,on a day where the gop convention keynoter Christie is praising the President and the Federal Government with great enthusiasm …

U2denver on October 31, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Rasmussen is from 10.28. Newspaper consortium poll came out after last debate.

You put far too much stock in Christie and Sandy. You seem to think that the 23 million people, who are unemployed and underemployed, and the 47 million people on food stamps are going to forget the last 4 years because Obama is doing what he is supposed to do. LOL!

I’ve said that Obama may win, but it will not be with a mandate. He will be the first president to win reelection with fewer votes than he originally won election with since Woodrow Wilson (and Wilson’s second term was a disaster, especially for civil liberties). If you think that the economy will get better in the next 4 years with Obama as president, you are delusional…especially when their are Galtians like me, who will not lift a finger to help it. We will continue our capital strike. I, personally, will continue to do everything that I can to make the lives of Obama voters miserable. I didn’t become an American citizen to watch idiots turn the country into the same bankrupt, statist state that I left.

Resist We Much on October 31, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Oh good grief! Need I remind you that this girl is five years away from voting? Wouldn’t it be better if she were poltically aware before then?

Happy Nomad on October 31, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Same age as the singing obamabots and just because I agree with this girl doesn’t mean I’m going to talk out of the other side of my mouth. Good hypocritical grief yourself.

Ronnie on October 31, 2012 at 1:54 PM

My rule of thumb on children is:

1. Do they look like they are comprehending what they say?
2. Do they look like they are in a hostage video?

If they look like they are aware of what they are saying and appear to have considered it and don’t look like they are going to be beaten with a coat hanger afterward then I’m okay with it.

Same with old people. Those old people didn’t look too alert, had a lot of trouble getting the words out/remembering them and quite possibly senile or demented. *That* offends me greatly.

kim roy on October 31, 2012 at 2:42 PM

dogsoldier on October 31, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Tim Russert should be the one that is still alive.

Resist We Much on October 31, 2012 at 2:43 PM

kim roy on October 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Nothing would make me happier than to see the lying, corrupt media outlets go belly up. There was not a single lie in Romney’s ad…the so-called fact-checking is concerned with what the ad implies, not what it actually says. That’s their opinion, but it’s not fact.

I’ve been so frustrated with the media this cycle. I just don’t know how any Republican manages to win given the coverage.

changer1701 on October 31, 2012 at 2:44 PM

He’s trying to think, but nothing happens.

claudius on October 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Matthews,

Has to be the most pathetic Obama leg humper on the Tube.

The original Obama fluffer boy.

RockyJ. on October 31, 2012 at 3:07 PM

We won’t have to wait for Comcast, I predict Chrissy will be having a major stroke at 10:41pm EST 11/06/12

Wallythedog on October 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Sons of Mitt,
I stand by my offer to serve up a healthy knuckle sandwitch for Matthew’s if you decline. With the simple intention of hitting that MoFo so hard he’ll have to look up to tie his shoes.
(Make the same offer for Lawrence O’Donell)

Missilengr on October 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Which, by the way, he never retracted or corrected.

The ad is complete and utter lie. Only a desperate campaign resorts to transparent, easily verifiable lies.

The best part is, Romney’s dishonesty is not going to help him in Ohio. He’s going to lose that state and the Presidency. At least he’ll have his lies to comfort him.

chumpThreads on October 31, 2012 at 3:23 PM

This Ron Reagan should get down on his knees and worship his dad’s anti-abortion stance.

kalamari on October 31, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Quinnipiac University, on behalf of CBS and the NY Times, stuck a dagger in Romney’s Ohio hopes by showing President Barack Obama up 50-45, as well as a one-point lead in Florida and two-point lead in Virginia. Marquette University, the best pollster during the Wisconsin recall, now shows Obama winning the state 51-43. Their last poll a couple of weeks ago had it 49-48 Obama. PPP has Obama cruising in Iowa 50-45, and in Wisconsin 51-46.

Couple this with Obama hanging out with Romney’s BFF in Jersey and one can see why the conservatives are now writing off the presidential race.

HotAirLib on October 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I saw that same story Romney saw. It said Fiat was considering moving its Jeep manufacturing to China. A few days later, another story (in Bloomberg) reported that Fiat was also considering moving Jeep manufacturing to Italy (Fiat’s home country).

So Romney repeats a story that was sourced and reported by Bloomberg, and that makes Romney a liar?

That fact is, the Obama administration basically gave Chrysler to Fiat, an Italian company, and Fiat can move its manufacturing jobs (for Jeep or any other vehicle) to any damn country it chooses. Chrissy Matthews and Michael Steele can sit around and insist that those Jeep manufacturing jobs will always remain in the U.S., but that is nothing more than an expression of their own hopes.

And as Romney has correctly pointed out, hope is not a strategy.

AZCoyote on October 31, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Wallythedog on October 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Comcast just jacked my cable rates up by 10% or so, for what reason I don’t know. Probably to bail out NBC.

slickwillie2001 on October 31, 2012 at 3:47 PM

HotAirLib on October 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM

So, you agree with Q that Democrats will turn out in larger numbers and Republicans will stay home in greater numbers than they did in 2008?

Because that is what you have to believe to get to Quinnipiac’s numbers.

Let me just remind you of a few things:

Since 1972 (when Americans began to call themselves “Independents”), only one presidential candidate has won Indies and lost the election. That was John Kerry in 2004. He won Indies by less than 2%.

A candidate cannot lose the independent vote by upper-single or double-digits in swing states (or even nationally) and win an election unless the opposition party stays home in DRAMATIC numbers and has enormous crossover. I’m talking about something on the level of having a D@vid Duke, Malik Zulu Shabazz, or Jerry Sandusky as the nominee. That isn’t the case in this election. Romney actually has a higher favourability rating than Obama and Republicans are much more enthusiastic than they were in 2008.

Only the delusional believe that Democratic turnout will be higher and Republican turnout lower than in 2008.

One predictor of turnout is midterm election turnout. Take a look at the pattern:

In the 1998 midterms, turnout was D+2.

In 2000, turnout was D+4.

In the 2002 midterms, turnout was R+1.

In 2004, turnout was R+2.4.

In the 2006 midterms, turnout was D+3.

In 2008, turnout was D+5.

In the 2010 midterms, turnout was R+3.

If this pattern holds, Republican turnout will be higher than Democrat turnout. Even if R turnout doesn’t eclipse D turnout, the pattern still suggests that D turnout will be lower and Republican turnout higher than both were in 2008. This prediction is also backed up by all of the polling data, which shows Republicans have a sizable enthusiasm lead over Democrats. Further, recently released data suggest that many of Obama’s core constituencies (18-34, African-Americans, and Hispanics) are not likely to vote in the numbers that they did in 2008. This is especially true for Millennials.

Resist We Much on October 31, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Yet once again this doesn’t even come close to passing the smell test — and sycophantic lapdog Chrissy Tingles confuses his and the Obama camp’s own apoplectic Desperation with the Romney camp’s pure Confidence.

But then — who can blame Chrissy Tingles for this blunder? Having your olfactory senses bombarded with perpetual abject desperation tends to stick around in the senses for a long while — much like the odor of a decaying corpse does.

FlatFoot on October 31, 2012 at 3:56 PM

One more thing, HotAirLib:

I am not a Republican. I am not a Conservative. I am not even a big Romney person. I live in a deep blue state so my vote doesn’t even really count…

BUT, I have been waiting for 4 years to cast my vote against “Mr Social-Justice/When-We-Spread-The-Wealth-Around/At-Some-Point-You’ve-Made-Enough-Money/Take-The-Pain-Pill/Bumps-In-The-Road/The-Future-Must-Not-Belong-To-Those-Who-Slander-The-Prophet-Mohammed/Allahu-Ahkbar=Workplace-Violence/You-Didn’t-Build-That” and I will crawl over broken glass if I have to in order to do so. In fact, I can’t wait!

Underestimate people like me at your own peril.

Resist We Much on October 31, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Per @CarrieNBCNews, Biden chats w/ a GOP relative of a FL voter, concluding that when insurance rates go down, “you’ll vote for me in 2016″

LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO!

Oh, stop it, Plugs! Yer killin’ me!

LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO!

Oh, I think I cracked a rib!

Resist We Much on October 31, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I’m going to tune into MSDNC on election day just to watch the tears of anguish and play this over and over,

Tears

Yakko77 on October 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Has Matthews changed his diapers today?

He might need to………it can get crowded and overflow (spoken as a mother of 4).

avagreen on October 31, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Michael Steele trying to explain economics to Chris Matthews?
Pot meet kettle. I couldn’t bear to watch Chrissy even under “normal” circumstances.

BTW: is it my imagination, or is Chrissy looking a little more haggard nowadays? Sensing impending doom?

IrishEyes on October 31, 2012 at 5:09 PM

one can see why the conservatives are now writing off the presidential race.

Writing off? You mean putting it in the bag my leftist friend. Barak Obama, one term POTUS. Too f’n funny.

Dick Nixon on October 31, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Tears

Yakko77 on October 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM

No doubt, I have PIP, so I am going to put them in the lower RIGHT corner and flip over when I see them starting to weep…popcorn, order your popcorn early.

I already have my WhirlyPop, best popcorn popper on the market…the problem is, I think it will be over by 9 pm EST…

right2bright on October 31, 2012 at 5:11 PM

HotAirLib on October 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM
While you’re projecting, practice saying, ‘President-elect Mitt Romney’.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 31, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Brit Hume is one of the very few true journalists; I believe him to be one of only 2 or 3 who you can depend on to voice he truth.

elihu on October 31, 2012 at 5:47 PM

HotAirLib on October 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Resist We Much on October 31, 2012 at 3:53 PM

HotAir Lib, you’re right. Obama is walking away with this election. There’s no reason for you to waste your time voting. He’s got the race locked up.

talkingpoints on October 31, 2012 at 6:02 PM

When Chrissy starts raising his voice and slobbers, you know he’s pitching bullshit.

Exit question: After Romney wins, will MSNBC be placing it’s superstar lineup of “reporters” on suicide watch?

GarandFan on October 31, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Uuhh, dude…Crissy always screams and slobbers. Jus’ sayin’.

Of course, I suppose that’s what we get for being dirty, racist, bitter-clinging, right wing-nuts. Alas. //

Solaratov on October 31, 2012 at 6:22 PM

What do you expect from a guy that wets his pants?

Old Country Boy on October 31, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Akaniku may be the exception. Many of us think he is a Borat style humorist.

NotCoach on October 31, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Or someone consigned to a home for the mentally deficient, who manages to slip behind the attendant’s desk and play with the computer.

Solaratov on October 31, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Tweety Bird is going to need a jack hammer to chisel the egg off his face come next Tuesday night.

LCT688 on October 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I bet we could sell a million tickets if we could just arrange an “Ultimate Fighter” match featuring:

Chrissy “The Sissy” Matthews

VS.

“Crazy ‘Ole Uncle” Joe Biden

Can you imagine the fight between them? Chrissy would be jittering all around the octagon as he got thrill after thrill up his leg and Crazy Uncle Joe would follow him around grinning like a mad man and laughing his azz off.

I’d pay to see it!

Fatal on October 31, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I can’t listen to Matthews anymore, but had to comment on the picture which is a good likeness. The guy looks more and more like a rabid dog.

If he came up to me at the supermarket and grabbed my coat, I would look for the nearest exit.

He is a addict undergoing cold turkey power-withdrawal

entagor on October 31, 2012 at 7:28 PM

dogsoldier on October 31, 2012 at 2:32 PM

NotCoach on October 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

One problem. Comcast also operates E!, aka the All-Kardashian-All-The-Time Channel.

They are used to Trash TV.

Myron Falwell on October 31, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Resist We Much on October 31, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Let’s laugh at Bite-Me AFTER he leaves office in January as he will fight for a spot at Denny’s Early-Bird Senior Special.

UNTIL then, his hatred of the majority of the country should scare the living crap out of everyone.

Myron Falwell on October 31, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Has Matthews changed his diapers today?

He might need to………it can get crowded and overflow (spoken as a mother of 4).

avagreen on October 31, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Yes – by all means. That’s not a tingle running down his leg now.

conservativemusician on October 31, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Should Mr. Obama lose next week it would give me the greatest pleasure to watch Chris Matthews meltdown, implode and super-nova on nation-wide tv. Normally I don’t engage in schadenfreude but in his case, I’ll make an exception.

LizardLips on October 31, 2012 at 8:04 PM

How does this man keep his job? He is completely delusional at this point.

Who would want this idiot representing them?

ccrosby on October 31, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I don’t think Tingles fully grasps what ‘desperate’ means. But he’s going to demonstrate it fully next Tuesday night.

rayra on October 31, 2012 at 11:57 PM

It is amazing how much “projection” you can find in all libtards’ commentary. The vast majority will assime fetal positions a week from now. Hopefully, at that point, they’ll develop empathy with the unborn, and abortion will be banned.

mile66 on November 1, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Too bad Lawerence O’Donnell won’t challenge Chris-thie to a fight instead of Romney’s kid. I could just see it: Pink boxing gloves, pacifiers instead of mouth pieces, both changing their Depends between rounds, ladels of bourbon for hydration, Jungle Gardenia oil applied to their faces…..

Bigger pay-per-view audience than Tyson-Holifield.

NoPain on November 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Let’s get real… Once the JEEP factory in China is up and running… They’ll be exporting to US… The workers in OHIO will not accept the lower wages so they can compete with the labor in China.
And let’s quote Chrissy… “Maybe the deal with China is that they don’t want our cars from over here to there”. But we receive boat loads of their crap, and that will continue with out a whimper from the LSM so long as Barry is POTUS. If fact as seen here, they will cheer-lead for it.

RalphyBoy on November 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM

MSDNC’s ratings will be sky-high election night, but not because anyone in their right mind thinks they could actually get election news there. The throngs of decent Americans that have been smeared, and had their intelligence insulted, by the clown-stars of this network will be tuning in to enjoy what could be one of the most unseemly public meltdowns of adult behavior ever seen.

Well, and to savor the delicious creme schadenfreude. It will be like a 12-course celebratory feast, where the first course is dessert, and so are all the rest.

drunyan8315 on November 1, 2012 at 9:29 PM

One more thing, HotAirLib:

BUT, I have been waiting for 4 years to cast my vote against “Mr You’ve-Made-Enough-Money/Take-The-Pain-Pill/Bumps-In-The-Road/The-Future-Must-Not-Belong-To-Those-Who-Slander-The-Prophet-Mohammed/Allahu-Ahkbar=Workplace-Violence/You-Didn’t-Build-That” and I will crawl over broken glass if I have to in order to do so. In fact, I can’t wait!Social-Justice/When-We-Spread-The-Wealth-Around/At-Some-Point-

Underestimate people like me at your own peril.

Resist We Much on October 31, 2012 at 4:07 PM

You and me both….along with several others. You gotta do what you gotta do!! Won’t the November surprise be exquisite?

elclynn on November 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM

HotAirLib on October 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM

You really have no idea….. welcome to the November surprise… LOL

elclynn on November 2, 2012 at 12:18 AM