Video: Religious liberty in 16 seconds

posted at 2:51 pm on October 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Want to know how ridiculous the HHS contraception mandate is, especially on Catholic employes and particularly on religious organizations like Catholic hospitals, charities, and schools?  Via Kathryn Jean Lopez, the Archdiocese of St. Louis explains it in sixteen seconds:

Actually, this argument works beyond the issue of religious-organization exemption as well, as I’ve repeatedly argued.  Why should we force any employer to directly subsidize birth control?  What role does an employer have in the bedroom, anyway?  The intrusion on what should be a free-market choice makes even less sense when (a) the comprehensive long-term study by the Center for Disease Control shows access plays no significant part in unwanted pregnancies — indeed, it’s not even mentioned as an issue in its 20-year study — and (b) taxpayers already subsidize contraception for Medicaid recipients through Title X? This has always been a cure in search of a disease.

It’s bad enough on a policy level, but the imposition of this mandate on religious organizations is especially offensive — and insidious.  The HHS religious exemption only accounts for “places of worship” and organizations that solely consist of members of the same faith and service only the same community.  This represents an attempt by the Obama administration to regulate the definition of religious expression in order to curtail it.  This goes far beyond the issue of contraception — it’s an attack on a core principle of liberty itself.

Voters should remember that next Tuesday.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I disagree with your premise.

I would argue that we aren’t choosing our own solutions because the choices are a facade. We choose options, yes, but do our options help us when we need the help?

In other words, is the affordable, bare-bones plan health care if it doesn’t cover you if you get sick?

I believe that’s the fundamental question. Like making the reservation. If you made the reservation and find that there’s no care, what’s the point of the reservation? If you’re paying for health insurance, shouldn’t you expect some minimum of care?

I would also argue that the reason why there are no children-only plans is that is doesn’t make market sense to provide them. How is government interference reducing the market for children-only plans? Before state insurance programs, there were no affordable plans for children. The government programs were borne out of a lack of care.

segasagez on October 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Your premise is people are too stupid to make choices of their own, so government must force everyone to pay for the same thing.

Policies are written up, hard copies are handed out, signatures are required, due diligence should be done, people should know what they want, there are plenty of places to determine what you should need. It is not that hard. If your insurance does not cover you when you “get sick”, then you did not do your due diligence and verify that the plan you bought included “gets sick”.

Here is what government does.
I do not believe in contraception or abortion. Government forces me to pay for both, against my wishes.
I do not beleive in accupuncture. Government forces me to pay for it.
I do not believe in holistic medicine in general, here again, goverment forces me to pay for it.
Why am I being forced to pay for these things that I do not use? Simple, because what is really going on is that government is picking winners (people who want to use these things) and losers (people who do not).
No one is going to become a burden on anyone if these things are not paid for through insurance premiums on everyone else. They are added because people vote for politicians who help them get subsidized by other people.

I am sorry you have such a poor view of your fellow Americans, but I agree with you Americans are freaking completely stupid. That is really why I am so sorry. They actually think like you do! That without government they are completely helpless. Honestly, here is the deal with me, if you absolutely positively are that completely helpless without government stealing my money to pay for your comfort and luxury, I would prefer you die, and as quickly as possible. I am not talking about sick people, or the disabled, I am talking about government freebies adicts. Just die off already! I do not want to keep paying for you.

I said it before. I am a disabled American War Time Vet. I lose my job on average about once every 18 months. I support myself, my wife, my child, some of my immediate family to some extent, most of my wife’s immediate family to almost exclusion, I help my friends when they are in need, I donate to churches a total of 10% of my income, I donate at other times for specific things occuring at the time. Outside of my Vet Benefits for becoming disabled, I do not rely on the government for much of anything. So when I hear that perfectly capable people are too pathetic to put some effort into buying the right insurance policy for themselves, I quite frankly am not very freaking concerned for the morons.

astonerii on October 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Has anyone found where our dear liar is authorized to force private entities to provide free rubbers?

Chip on October 30, 2012 at 4:40 PM

This is Religious Freedom Ad

Great Ad! from catholicvote.org

workingclass artist on October 30, 2012 at 4:45 PM

After reading it, I do worry that Scarry Reid & Co., will continue to obstruct in the senate. Ie. continue to kill bills that the house passes, before they can even be voted on in the senate. I hope, but I’m not confident, that conservatives will take the senate.

kcd on October 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM

If the Senate stays in the hand of rats and Mitt Romney wins, my advice is to be intolerant of such gridlock from the beginning. If Harry Reid wants to ignore passing a budget, President Romney needs to use the bully pulpit to make a big deal out of the fact they are ignoring their Constitutional duties. Harry Reid will not have the Executive Branch as a backstop for his actions.

Further, I’d suggest that Romney (through surrogates) informs Dems that he will not work with Reid after the lies he told on the floor of the Senate. It isn’t about being partisan it is the fact that Reid has no integrity and is not somebody that anybody could ever trust in working to find compromise and solutions.

Happy Nomad on October 30, 2012 at 4:51 PM

The government programs were borne out of a lack of care.

segasagez on October 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM

The Government programs you speak of were born out of all insurance companies raising their prices.

Medical insurance used to be a profitable business, with affordable prices for respective policies.

What changed, since those days?

I’ll bet the answer to that question is where we disagree.

listens2glenn on October 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Chip on October 30, 2012 at 4:40 PM

EO.

listens2glenn on October 30, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Chip on October 30, 2012 at 4:40 PM

The rat-eared wonder summed it up perfectly nearly four years ago- I won. Keep in mind, this was done through executive order not the legislative process. It is apt to be thrown out by the judicial process but this was never about securing free contraception for sluts like Sandra Fluke. It was about securing votes from stupid women who define themselves solely by their “reproductive rights.” The rat-eared wonder made the POLITICAL calculation that he could risk part of the Catholic vote by this faux war-on-women thing. The question remains just how many stupid women are out there that believe there is a war on women.

Here in VA there is one ad that is particularly annoying. It suggests that Romney saying that he would repeal Roe v. Wade is the same thing as banning abortion. The reality is that it would simply be putting the issue of abortion back at the state level (where it belongs). But don’t think that stupid women will do enough research to understand the truth when bombarded by such lies.

Happy Nomad on October 30, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Happy Nomad on October 30, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Ahhh, Pull a Reaganesque move. I like it:)

kcd on October 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM

astonerii on October 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM

A liberal reads this and thinks “Meh, another cranky old vet”, while a conservative (hopefully) admires your hard work, service and charity.

ChicagoJewishGuy on October 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM

segasagez on October 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Serious question:

Have you ever purchased a health insurance policy? It’s not necessarily a problem if not, but the above sounds like you’re not at all familiar with what happens before you sign the papers.

rogerb on October 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM

segasagez on October 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Serious question:

Have you ever purchased a health insurance policy bought anything bigger than lunch? It’s not necessarily a problem if not, but the above sounds like you’re not at all familiar with what happens before you sign the papers.

rogerb on October 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I’d be surprised if he’s so much as signed a lease in his name. Know your rights, read the paperwork, be ready to fight with companies every so often on merits, not because of some sort of discrimination, take responsibility if you mess up– all foreign concepts to lefties.

ChicagoJewishGuy on October 30, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Righteous Monks of S. Joseph’s Abbey win battle…

workingclass artist on October 30, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I have a difficult relationship with Catholics, and I are one…or was. Catholics sacrifice greatly to send their kids to very expensive private schools … and I have no idea why.

After up to 12 years of religious education, few Catholic students have the slightest familiarity with the Bible, and very few even know Catholic Church doctrine.

After 12 years of moral instruction on the Catholic Church’s “sanctity of life” position, half of Catholics or more vote for the radical adherents of partial birth abortion in the Democrat party.

After tens of thousands of dollars invested in the church, Catholic kids abandon the faith at an astonishing rate.

Jaibones on October 30, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Your religious liberty does not extend to denying Americans civil rights.

Observation on October 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Your religious liberty does not extend to denying Americans civil rights.

Observation on October 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Your race to hell on earth, does not trump my religious liberty, which is guaranteed by the Constitution.

tom daschle concerned on October 30, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Jaibones on October 30, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Not my kid.

She attended college on scholarship & graduated in 4 years,goes to Mass regularly and is a catholic conservative living and working in Philadelphia…She was a product of a K-10th Catholic Education until she transferred to a Magnet School.

And every penny I paid for her Catholic Education was well worth it at $2500.00/yr K-8th (She went to Catholic HS for a year on academic scholarship)

workingclass artist on October 30, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Your religious liberty does not extend to denying Americans civil rights.

Observation on October 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM

tom daschle concerned on October 30, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Well Done Tom

workingclass artist on October 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Observation on October 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM

tom daschle concerned on October 30, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Good answer.

WHat I’d like to know is when did it become a ‘civil right’ to force other people to pay for the props for your sexual activity?

Ugh…

I have a difficult relationship with Catholics, and I are one…or was…
Jaibones on October 30, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Why do you bemoan Catholic kids abandoning the Faith, when you admit to having done the same thing? That’s rather odd. Surely that isn’t your reason for abandoning Christ, Truly Present in the Holy Eucharist. Abandoning Him for any reason makes it seem that you don’t really understand the Faith anymore than those kids who were seemingly failed by their Catholic schools. :(

workingclass artist on October 30, 2012 at 6:21 PM

*blink* That’s what I get for living in a county with one Catholic school, I guess. Regardless, I still consider it worth the money, if only for the few minutes they spend at First Friday Adoration each month.

pannw on October 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM

If religious liberty excludes a group from following one law, doesn’t it have the power to exclude them from following all laws? segasagez on October 30, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I think the point on this is that laws which force people or groups to violate their religion violate the Constitution and shouldn’t (actually in the spirit of the United States founders cannot) be law.

The problem isn’t a group asking for an exception. The problem is an over-reaching law. This case is birth control. The next will be the rationing board’s approach to euthanasia.

talkingpoints on October 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM

…organizations that solely consist of members of the same faith and service only the same community.

Gee, I wonder who that describes ? It certainly isn’t most of the Christian organizations I’ve heard of. and I’m a god-hating atheist.

CallousDisregard on October 30, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Someone on HA should have said this by now:

“You wouldn’t force my wife to make me a sammich. It’s that simple!”

Shy Guy on October 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Your religious liberty does not extend to denying Americans civil rights.

Observation on October 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Obamavation, you are an interesting case. Neither capable of being funny nor capable of being serious. So what the hell good are you?

You can’t answer that, so I’ll answer for you. A nice new troll for us to chew on, that’s what good you are! :-D

Okay, I’ll have a go: There is no “civil right” to any good or service. Health care is not a civil right. Neither is a driver’s license, or an education. You lefties say “All people have the right to [x]” when what you mean is “We want everyone to be given [x] free of charge.”

Here’s an example: I have a right to defend myself. (This right is enshrined in the Second Amendment to the Constitution, but it existed long before then.) Assuming I am sane and not a convicted felon, I have a right to buy a gun for the purpose of exercising my right to defend myself. But I do not have the right to a gun.

Likewise, I have a right to buy any contraception I see fit to buy. However, I do not have a right to be given a particular means of contraception by you or anyone just because I want it.

I have a right to not get pregnant if I don’t want to. (Being raped would violate this right as well as other of my rights. I have a right to do anything I need to do to defend this right, including shooting a would-be rapist dead.)

If I do get pregnant and don’t want to raise a child, my right to not be pregnant against my will is trumped by my baby’s right to be alive. The way I reconcile these two conflicting rights is to weigh the relative harm to both parties. At that point, I balance nine months of my life against my baby’s entire projected lifespan of 70-80 years. I seek protection from the baby’s father if I need it (this is one thing Christian churches are very good at and Muslim organizations suck at, BTW), and give the baby up for adoption to one of the 1 – 2 million couples in this country who are longing to adopt. In any case, I don’t have the right to a free abortion, because there is no “civil right” to any good or service.

You lefties always get this stuff confused. Health is not health care is not health insurance. They are three very different things. Learn the difference so you can discuss the matter intelligently. Or don’t, and I’ll go on laughing at you. :-D

Mary in LA on October 30, 2012 at 7:10 PM

god-hating atheist.

CallousDisregard on October 30, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Isn’t that an oxymoron?

astonerii on October 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Isn’t that an oxymoron?

astonerii on October 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Not necessarily. There are God-hating atheists and God-meh atheists. Oddly, IMHO the former are more likely to convert. You can’t hate someone/something without implicitly believing that that someone/something exists for you to hate.

Mary in LA on October 30, 2012 at 7:24 PM

You don’t understand. Obama isn’t asking.

InterestedObserver on October 30, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Your religious liberty does not extend to denying Americans civil rights.

How does me not buying your boyfriend’s rubbers deny you any rights?

How does forcing me to buy your boyfriend’s rubbers not deny me my rights?

If you want to go to where your church is in charge of everything I suggest you invent a time machine and return to the 13th century along with your Islamist friends. Observation on October 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Well, people like you were as odious then as now, so thanks for a taste of timeless despotism. Let us know when you’re happy, oh wait, never mind, we’ll know because the govt will be in charge of everything.

Akzed on October 30, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Akzed on October 30, 2012 at 7:33 PM

No, they won’t be happy even then. You see, no leftie will ever be happy as long as anyone else has anything else to call their own.

Mary in LA on October 30, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Late to this, but good ad!

CitizenEgg on October 30, 2012 at 7:56 PM

workingclass artist on October 30, 2012 at 6:21 PM

pannw on October 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM

It’s more than that now…She started K in 1995

Still in a large diocese it’s worth it I think. Ave. cost now is about $6200/yr & it’s the smallest and oldest of the parish schools

workingclass artist on October 30, 2012 at 8:19 PM

workingclass artist on October 30, 2012 at 8:19 PM

:) I feel a lot better now. After I posted that it occurred to me that she’d graduated college and figured tuition had gone up. Sounds like your school rates go up as fast as ours.

pannw on October 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM

(to astonerii) I don’t always agree with what you write here, but… I’m pretty sure we need more people like you.

ChicagoJewishGuy on October 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Half the time I agree with astonerii, half the time I disagree. But I nearly always understand his position. And frankly, I prefer dealing with someone I agree with half the time rather than someone I either agree with on nothing (a liberal) or I don’t trust to really believe what they’re saying (the RINOs and concern trolls).

The country would be far better off if we got back to the concept of honestly discussing issues, agreeing to disagree, and using the states as incubators of ideas and laboratories of democracy rather than this ever-encroaching Federalism and crony capitalism that picks the winners and losers.

AJsDaddie on October 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM

ChicagoJewishGuy on October 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Thanks
AJsDaddie on October 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM
and thanks.

I try to be as honest as I can be.

I am sure I have some blind spots I refuse to look at. I try to avoid them, but I think everyone has them. I’ve had many times on these threads gone from one side to another once someone said something in the right way that got a blind spot shown. It all comes down to experience (sometimes not a plus) and reality.

astonerii on October 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM

workingclass artist on October 30, 2012 at 8:19 PM

pannw on October 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Yeah…But most diocese try to keep the rates of K-8 as reasonable as they can. Tuition hikes a great deal for 9-12 and the schools are bigger but scholarships are available as well as donors to help with costs for some kids. My kid won two academic scholarships to attend HS. I wanted her to stay but she earned her way to the magnet school and it all worked out alright for her. She’s applying for Graduate School (playwriting) this fall & she won’t go unless she gets scholarships or maybe even a fellowship.

Maybe the world could use another good catholic playwright…

workingclass artist on October 31, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Dead thread then. I’m guessing I was right. College student, maybe?

rogerb on October 31, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Your religious liberty does not extend to denying Americans civil rights.

Observation on October 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM

What civil right is denied you when I refuse to pay for your abortion?

If you want to deny religious freedom perhaps you should return to England before the revolution.

Monkeytoe on October 31, 2012 at 7:48 AM