Video: If watching grandma drop the F-bomb won’t get you to vote for Obama, nothing will

posted at 6:59 pm on October 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

Of the many celebrity campaign excrescences lately, this is the best example of something designed more to promote the people involved than their chosen candidate. Ostensibly it’s an ad to elect Obama but in reality it’s a reminder from Michael Moore and MoveOn that they’re still out there, doin’ their thing, even though both are now seven or eight years removed from peak relevance. Ace is probably right that the inspiration was Betty White (who, incidentally, is an Obama supporter, and who could have singlehandedly made this clip mega-viral by appearing in it), but the “cursing granny” shock gag is ageless. My first encounter with it was the cheesy yet underrated “Moving Violations,” which starred Bill Murray’s brother doing his best Bill Murray impression presumably because the producers couldn’t actually get Bill Murray. Same here with the fake Bettys, I assume. But that’s okay: Whether it’s Betty herself or a more generic elderly actress uttering the word “cockpunch,” the case for voting for Barack Obama is just as compelling.

I think it’s too late in the game for any ad to move the needle much, but I’d be curious to see the reaction of centrists in the 55+ crowd to this one.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Wow, misogynist bile spewing from a conservative! Did not see that coming!

Constantine on October 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM

You sound petulant. Insulting conservatives will not help Obama win.

Night Owl on October 30, 2012 at 9:02 PM

GrannyDee on October 30, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Granny, I certainly hope you do not have such a foul mouth as that old broad.

Lanceman on October 30, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I don’t know if it is because of the spicy language my 96 year old aunt who suffers from dementia uses(language not comparable) or just modern culture but I found this ad neither offensive or believable. It’s just stupid.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Well I am sure some exception can be made!

sharrukin on October 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Whew! (wiping the sweat off my brow)

Thought I was a goner for a sec.

GrannyDee on October 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Wow. Desperate.

bitsy on October 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Actually, profanity, like spitting, from any girl, woman or old bat turns me right the phuck off.

Lanceman on October 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Hot Air featured a poll of eight people in a desperate search to find people who thought Romney won the last debate. Constantine on October 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Link, please.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM

If it’s one thing this country needs more of at this critical, pressing time, it’s vulgarity. We are far too benign in countenance and commodious in our affections toward each other. Politeness spreads like a malicious infestation, mutual respect like a hideous plague. Obama’s crew certainly has their finger on the pulse of the nation, eh?

Is there not a shred of decency left in this nation, that these indigents will not get summarily ejected onto their collective backsides next week?

paul1149 on October 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Lanceman on October 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I’d be worried if there was anything those old bats could do that would turn you on. I will not lie, I have told a person or two to go forth and multiply but when it comes to girls spitting…….you and me, Kiddo, total agreement.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Whew! (wiping the sweat off my brow)

Thought I was a goner for a sec.

GrannyDee on October 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM

There are still some guys plotting on throwing you off a cliff. I hear Ryan likes to do that a lot. I guess everyone has to have a hobby? /sarcasm

Stuff like this is so over the top and disconnected from society that it can’t possible have an effect except on those who are already residents of the lunatic fringe…like Michael Moore and crowd.

sharrukin on October 30, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Don’t get so bent out of shape. I’m sure the old people were pressured to say what they said.

They probably thought that if they didn’t obey, Moore would eat their entire month’s supply of food…in one gulp.

If you were elderly and you saw a mountain of flab hovering over you during breakfast you would probably obey too.

Kingfisher on October 30, 2012 at 9:15 PM

GrannyDee on October 30, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Granny, I certainly hope you do not have such a foul mouth as that old broad.

Lanceman on October 30, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Used to, back in my drinking days. Pretty much could hold my own in the booze and language department.

26 yrs. as a Christian has changed me a lot!!! Now I would be horrified to speak like that.

GrannyDee on October 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM

GrannyDee on October 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM

20- some years as a reincarnationist has made me stop asking “What did I do to deserve this?”

Lanceman on October 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM

GrannyDee on October 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Lanceman on October 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM

OK, that right there made me lol and spit soda on my keyboard.

GrannyDee on October 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Voter suppression? Tell that to the military, granny skank.

AshleyTKing on October 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Disgusting!

This country presidency has been dragged down pretty close to the gutter with Obama.

vnohara on October 30, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Just got done early voting in Louisiana. I had some business downtown, and have to be out of town on Tuesday.

Took almost 2 hours. :ots of people crammed into a room waiting with no A/C. room smelled like sweat but after awhile you didn’t notice it. It was a high-school gym all over again. The union employees at the courthouse turned off the A/C at 5 p.m. sharp, election be damned.

I heard something I hadn’t heard in a long time…. the sound of a constant murmur/jabber of people talking nonstop. People were coming in after work in uniform. 65% black and 34% white. One Mexican looking guy who couldn’t speak English. A few others.

71-year-old black lady sitting next to me. Several black ladies all around. We start talking. She said that when she first voted she had to take a Civics test at the polls. I asked her if she had to pay money. She said no. She said that she had just gotten out of High School and so when they asked her to recite the Preamble to the Constitution, she passed, and “all the White men were stunned.”

Then… and I have to say I was proud of this… I recited the entrire Preamble for her, with a lot of people listening – courtesy of Schoolhouse Rock. She joined in on the parts she remembered. It was nice.

I said some words to the effect that maybe there should be a basic test, though, like getting a driver’s license. She then said that today’ kids don’t know what they’re voting for and don’t know who the vice-president is or their representatives. I agreed. I was talking softly because with black people in my area a lot of times they get really upset if a white man gives his opinion.

We then went through the local and state amendments together, because I was the only one with a copy of them. I purposely hid the page with Amendment 1 on it because it also showed my Romney/Ryan vote X-ed in. Several black women listened and asked questions about the amendments.

I asked the 71-year-old why she was voting early. She said because she heard that the Tea Party people were coming to her neighborhood to intimidate people and so she came to the courthouse to make sure her vote actually got counted. She also had brought several of her neighbors. I take my hat off to her spirit.

I told her about the 100-ft. polling-place limit (I hoped I was close) and said that no one should be intimidated from voting. Quite a few people were listening as we waited. I’d like to think that I was so low-key… as a white man in a group of black women, that some of them thought about it.

So when they called our numbers, we all went and voted. I guarantee they all voted for 0bama. But at least we all did it civilly.

If we can somehow preserve that, maybe we can save the nation.

cane_loader on October 30, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I just saw that ad with the children singing about killing polar bears, etc. That is the homeliest bunch of children I have ever seen. Did they do that on purpose? Or are children of liberals generally ugly?

Night Owl on October 30, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Love the thread title, Allah!

Alana on October 30, 2012 at 9:35 PM

cane_loader on October 30, 2012 at 9:31 PM

It sounds lovely and American.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I’m not a centrist, but I am 55+, and I say it’s stupid.

Bob's Kid on October 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Night Owl on October 30, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I’m wondering how much play that would get if conservatives weren’t showing it?

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

O/T: Another sign of Leftie desperation.

Wasserman Schultz Involved in Police Altercation Outside Voting Precinct

GrannyDee on October 30, 2012 at 9:37 PM

When we have President Romney, are we going to take this crap from these libs like we did when the full BDS was upon them? They need to be smacked down right away as soon as they start that stuff. They need to know that we are serious, we won’t go to their movies, watch their tv shows, or go to their concerts if they start spouting off about Romney like they did with Bush. They make way too much money for the little good they do for society. Just shut up,do your job and go home.

megthered on October 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM

GrannyDee on October 30, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I don’t think it will make me feel to much better if Alan Grayson gets back in.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I don’t think it will make me feel to much better if Alan Grayson gets back in.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Sure do agree with you, Cindy. I’d forgotten about that pathetic excuse for a human being.

GrannyDee on October 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM

It sounds lovely and American.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 9:35 PM

It was… because we all got along. We were all… from what really is a big small town… crammed into a room because we all went to the courthouse to vote.

Our town is an old-school black/white town, with now a 5% and swiftly growing Mexican invasion. Meaning, nearly 100% of them do not speak English. I don’t care about their legal status… if they cannot speak English and have Texas/Mexican plates, they are not American….. I speak Spanish and am getting tired of translating for them when the line gets long at the local store.

So sorting out the black/white election divide is something my heart is into.

What I want to tell them all is that the most respectful, honorable thing that they could ever do is to vote him out as a man, for non-performance, and not vote him back in as 3/5 of a man.

If you respect Barack 0bama as a man, you must vote him out as a man.

Plenty of white presidents have been voted out after one term.

Not to do the same thing with 0bama, given his record, would be racialist denigration, and a step backward in terms of equality.

Again – the best way to respect Barack 0bama as a full 5/5ths human being is to vote him out as a failure.

cane_loader on October 30, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Ok, so far from the left we’ve heard from the Children of the Future, now the Seniors from the Past, so OF COURSE, next we’ll hear from the Dead from Chicago…

Strike Hornet on October 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM

cane_loader on October 30, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I must admit that I don’t respect Obama as anything.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM

megthered on October 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I’m not infringing on anyone’s right to freedom speech or my right to laugh at them. I have no desire to emulate the Left.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I don’t think it will make me feel to much better if Alan Grayson gets back in.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Finally hearing anti-Grayson ads.

Lanceman on October 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I’m wondering how much play that would get if conservatives weren’t showing it?

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

That was the first time I watched it since Hannity played it and I was too lazy to mute it. Kirsten Powers didn’t like it either, but she did like the one with that woman pretending voting was like having sex with Obama.

Night Owl on October 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Lanceman on October 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Good, I wish there was a way to get Gov. Romney or Rep. Ryan to campaign with his opponent, is it Mr. Long? I can’t believe it would take much to get him past Grayson, but then I am obviously more offended by Grayson than his possible voters.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Night Owl on October 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I am not understanding the target audience, all the ads seem so stupid.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM

It is close. Less than 4 points. And surely Romney had Long on stage with him in Kissimmee last Saturday.

Lanceman on October 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I am not understanding the target audience, all the ads seem so stupid.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM

It’s beyond me, but I’m not the one they are aimed at either.

Night Owl on October 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I’m 67 and find it disgusting

Bullhead on October 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM

This hits me as being fake. Is this all the Obama campaign has left? This is an insult to American seniors (and everyone else who has to watch it – yikes!)

MN J on October 30, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Not disgusted or offended. Just reconfirms my postulate that liberals are nasty, vulgar, hate-filled people.

John the Libertarian on October 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM

They’re actually doing this to appeal to the younger generation. Unfortunately they overshot, and came up with something only 12 year old boys would delight in. And they don’t vote.

I am amazed every time a Democrat accuses a republican of voter fraud – are they really so ignorant of the reality of their own party?

And the swearing granny shtick, if funny at all, is only funny if used just once. This was a very amateur clip, hard to believe Moore was involved. I suspect that the only reason it was not blurry was because the camera had auto focus.

Johnny 100 Pesos on October 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Wow, does she eat with that mouth?

dukecitygirl on October 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Sewer level?

That’s three floors up!

EdmundBurke247 on October 30, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Elder Abuse…

RalphyBoy on October 30, 2012 at 11:12 PM

John the Libertarian on October 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Apparently, they never outgrow it either.

Finbar on October 30, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Okay, without having read any of the comments before this…I have to say…I completely disagree with the article. This isn’t riveting in the least. Its probably the single most ridiculous ad I’ve seen the whole campaign. And that includes the “voting virgin” garbage. lol… Its just…stupid. I DO agree that this isn’t going to change anyone’s mind.

Highlar on October 30, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Go cut me a switch, Granny!

Ward Cleaver on October 30, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Again what is this video supposed to do, except for denigrate senior citizens?

PS: I am relatively new to this country.. abt 10 yrs… And I have run into plenty of seniors. I think they are really good company.

PPS: I don’t think this moves one vote for Obama.

antisocial on October 31, 2012 at 12:02 AM

antisocial on October 31, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I think you have excellent instincts.

Cindy Munford on October 31, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Whaaaaat. I can’t even watch/ read this shit anymore. The “progressive” mindset is so loony that it’s creeping me out.

evergreen on October 31, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I’m 55. I now work with a young person. But for most of my work life I’ve been a caregiver to people born before 1930. My many elderly clients were from different races, cultures and walks of life. Many were WW11 veterans. I assisted them in convalescent homes, assisted living facilities, and in their homes. So I know what I’m talking about when I say this : Most people born before 1930 have in common that unless they are looped on drugs or afflicted with dementia they rarely use foul language, and never use it in public.

Michael Moore is a hateful man.

ansonia on October 31, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Compare and contrast

Shy Guy on October 31, 2012 at 4:08 AM

The fact that you require an explanation, and you take behavioral tips from a 70′s sitcom character says a lot. None of it good.

Constantine on October 30, 2012 at 8:57 PM

You lefties get 99% of your education from sitcoms and ‘reality’ shows and tell us not to be so judgemental of your debauchery. Don’t be a hater!

After seeing this video, maybe we shouldn’t be so opposed to those death panels?

Sporty1946 on October 31, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I hereby authorize Paul Ryan to push these effin old idiots off the cliff.

connectthedots on October 31, 2012 at 8:33 AM

At least if we keep MM busy he won’t be making any more fat movies.

connectthedots on October 31, 2012 at 8:35 AM

The underlying message is that any insult or threat of violence against Republicans is allowed because Republicans are illegitimate candidates and only Democrats can be our true leaders. Look at how they trash Republican presidents in office. Since Republicans are never “supposed to be” president, it’s not an insult to the office they usurped illegitimately, right?

swinia sutki on October 31, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I thought it was very lame. Exactly where in America is Obama winning the old people vote? But I think what bothers me about this ad is it keeps saying Republicans are “stealing” the election. I hope its a Republican landslide. These disgusting liberals like Moore and these potty mouthed geezers have it coming.

magicbeans on October 31, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I’d be curious to see the reaction of centrists in the 55+ crowd to this one.

Speaking as a 58 year old who will be 59 in a couple of months, you want my reaction, it goes like this:

1) Michael Moore is a fat loudmouthed moron.

2) moveon.org is a bunch of loudmouthed morons.

3) The seniors who appeared in this video made complete public fools of themselves and each and every one of them should be ashamed, as should be their immediate families for allowing them to appear in tripe like this.

pilamaye on October 31, 2012 at 10:59 AM

No one can “cockpunch” Michael Moore be cause of his Dickiedoo Disease.

His belly sticks out farther than his dickiedoo.

NoPain on October 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM

A little fuzzy math in this video. The guy who is “85 years old” served in World War II? If he’s 85 now, he was born in 2012-85 = 1927, and turned 18 in 1945, and maybe served a few months before the end of the war. The true Greatest Generation are several years older.

As for the lady who wanted to “cockpunch” Romney, maybe she should follow Michael Moore’s advice in “Sicko” and check into a nursing home in Havana. She’ll be ready to punch Fidel or Raoul next.

Steve Z on October 31, 2012 at 4:39 PM

The Democrat party has literally become a spoof of itself.

netster007x on October 31, 2012 at 9:55 PM