Obama on Benghazi the hurricane: “We leave nobody behind”

posted at 10:07 pm on October 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart. If President Romney had said something this oblivious with the cloud of Benghazi over his head, it’d be the lead story in political media for the next 24 hours. As it is, it’s “president comments on storm” soundbite filler for the evening news. Democratic membership has its advantages.

It’s catching up to him, though:

The president has a slight edge on terrorism and foreign policy, but the poll found that Mr. Romney may have made some inroads with his strong critique of how Mr. Obama managed the Libya crisis after the killing of the American ambassador and three others in Benghazi. When asked specifically about the administration’s handling of the attacks on the consulate in Libya, the poll found that only 38 percent of voters approved and 51 percent disapproved.

David Ignatius has a few questions in the leave-no-man-behind vein:

Second, why didn’t the United States send armed drones or other air assistance to Benghazi immediately? This one is harder to answer. The CIA did dispatch a quick-reaction force that night from Tripoli, with about eight people, but it had trouble at first reaching the compound. One of its members, Glen Doherty, died along with Woods when a mortar hit the roof of the annex about 4 a.m.

What more could have been done? A Joint Special Operations Command team was moved that night to Sigonella air base in Sicily, for quick deployment to Benghazi or any of the other U.S. facilities in danger that night across North Africa. Armed drones could also have been sent. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta summarized last Thursday the administration’s decision to opt for caution: “You don’t deploy forces into harm’s way without knowing what’s going on.”

Looking back, it may indeed have been wise not to bomb targets in Libya that night. Given the uproar in the Arab world, this might have been the equivalent of pouring gasoline on a burning fire. But the anguish of Woods’s father is understandable: His son’s life might have been saved by a more aggressive response. The Obama administration needs to level with the country about why it made its decisions.

Indeed, but if you focus too much on what they didn’t do that night, you risk forgetting what they didn’t do before then. They effectively left Chris Stevens behind the moment they denied him any real consulate security and stuck him with a skeleton crew of Libyan contractors. How is it, per Panetta, that we can’t send armed troops into harm’s way without knowing what’s going on but we could send an unarmed diplomat and his staff?

And Ignatius is apparently quite right that the drones they sent to the consulate during the attack weren’t armed. Fox News reported that earlier today. After you watch O here, I recommend reading this NYT piece about the next intervention looming for the U.S., a clean-up effort in Mali against jihadists who managed to establish a base there with the help of heavy weapons they looted from … Qaddafi’s arsenal in liberated Libya. Maybe we should start gaming out which African country will be destabilized by intervening in Mali next. Exit quotation: “I think Charles is a little too hard on Obama. Frankly, it’s huge progress that he didn’t blame this hurricane on a video.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

FUCK THE AUIDO ADS@@@ FUCK THEM.

ladyingray on October 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM

The overtones of his choice of words are positively Freudian. Consciousness of guilt?

novaculus on October 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM

it’d be the lead story in political media for the next 24 hours 7 days.

FIFY

SoRight on October 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I’m gonna’ cry tears of joy and get DESTROYED on well made wine on election night when we BOOT THIS AMATEUR out of The Oral Orifice.

blatantblue on October 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Nobody seems to be John F. Kerry and he was left and behind at the same time.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on October 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Obama is a phony actor that will do anything and say anything to save his place at the public feeding trough. He lets his ambassador and 3 other Americans die but jumps at the chance to fly around and glad hand with Christie. Despicable.

rplat on October 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM

F*U*C*K T*H*E A*U*D*I*O A*D*S E*D*

ladyingray on October 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Damn that autoplay. I almost had a heart attack when I started hearing his voice!

Corporal Tunnel on October 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM

There are reports that Woods and Doherty were painting the mortar crew with a laser target designator. They would not do so unless the designator was already synched to an on-station weapons system. That means an armed drone or a gunship.

novaculus on October 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Good grief, what a terrible choice of words. Almost Bidenian.

slickwillie2001 on October 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM

So now he is a Corpseman ?

burrata on October 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Sort of in tune this Capital One Bank add, fake warriors in the add on a thread about a fake warrior Pres. Obama.

The Great Sprit Knows Things Too.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on October 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM

40 years from now, we’re gonna find out all of his scandals that never got out and we will wonder how he got away with it.

nobar on October 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM

novaculus on October 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Where did you hear this?

cynccook on October 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM

He doesn’t sound or look very ‘presidential’ here. He’s robotically phoning it in.

Corporal Tunnel on October 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Ladyingray I fear you are not long for this world :-(

Kataklysmic on October 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

novacluus,

Beware, you will lure blink onto this thread and he will prove up your just blowing in the wind.
//sarc

APACHEWHOKNOWS on October 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

ladyingray on October 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Calm down. Abine.

Bmore on October 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

STFU

ladyingray on October 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM

ladyingray on October 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM

If you’re on Firefox: Adblock Plus, Adblock Plus Popup Add-on.

INC on October 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM

novaculus on October 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Why is oblivious off the table? Serious question- What makes you think the rat-eared wonder has empathy with either those killed at Benghazi or the victims of Hurricane Sandy?

Happy Nomad on October 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Calm down. Abine.

Bmore on October 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Nope. Not as long as obaka is quoted here.

ladyingray on October 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM

STFU

ladyingray on October 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Dude/Ma’am mellow. Install this Abine.

Bmore on October 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM

cynccook on October 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Reported by multiple sources. Here is one.

novaculus on October 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM

“We leave nobody behind”

Behold the consummate narcissist!

I’d bet he thinks that saying this wipes out all criticism of Benghazi. Seriously.

INC on October 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM

the man is not well,
what he did here is a tell as
horse traders know
“we do not leave people behind”
he knows what he did and can
no longer hide it from himself
comming apart at the seams
the lies have undone his mind

Thank you Clint Eastwood.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on October 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Nope. Not as long as obaka is quoted here.

ladyingray on October 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM

None of us like the ads or the autoplays. Trust me this will stop all the pain. ; )

Bmore on October 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM

If you’re on Firefox: Adblock Plus, Adblock Plus Popup Add-on.

INC on October 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Sure, I can do that. But obaka is still quoted to teh supids.

ladyingray on October 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM

“We leave nobody behind”

That’s not what I’ve heard.

Bmore on October 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I. CAN. NOT. WAIT. FOR. THIS. MONSTER’S. CONCESSION. SPEECH.

RedNewEnglander on October 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Chris Stevens, Ty Woods, Glen Doherty, and Sean Smith are not available for comment.

Jackalope on October 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Why would we send an unarmed drone. After the attack started, why would we send a backup, unarmed drone? These people act like we are idiots!

KCB on October 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

ladyingray on October 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Comment mod asleep at the switch?

There’re young eyes about!

KingGold on October 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

If it had hit any Muslim state, like Dearborn, he probably would have. But since it was overwhelmingly Infidels that were hit … … …

VorDaj on October 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM

And what does this even mean? Where are people going that they will not be left behind? Will you give them a house if theirs was destroyed? Will you replace their stuff? Vague. Pandering. Jerk.

Jackalope on October 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I’m gonna’ cry tears of joy and get DESTROYED on well made wine on election night when we BOOT THIS AMATEUR out of The Oral Offal Orifice.

blatantblue on October 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Lanceman on October 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Leave nobody behind? O RLY?

Sekhmet on October 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM

ladyingray on October 30, 2012

Quiet, you!

Lanceman on October 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Hi Bmore! Unarmed drones. Of course!

KCB on October 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM

That’s why I always keep my computer on mute except when I’m ready to watch a video.

dukecitygirl on October 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM

He can no longer maitain his inhuman actions, none of us are able to cross the line into the darkness he has crossed into and hold ourselves together. Uncontroled truth is just near the surface.
His handlers will have to rein him in or he will selfdestruct.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on October 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM

At first I thought it was just poor choice of words, but after watching the whole thing, I have to wonder. It seems like a deliberate attempt to repackage and ‘re-context’ (if you will) the patently false ‘we did everything we could to help’ Benghazi narrative.

As in, ‘if we keep repeating this statement in reference to events where it is slightly more believable, maybe people will believe it holds true across the board’

rightmind on October 30, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I. CAN. NOT. WAIT. FOR. THIS. MONSTER’S. CONCESSION. SPEECH.

RedNewEnglander on October 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Good afternoon subjects. I mean, um, ah, my fellow Muslims. I mean, um, ah, my fellow Americans. I am hereby resigning from the office of your God, I mean, um, ah your Supreme Ruler. I mean the, um, ah, Presidency. [Be sure to scratch your nose with your middle finger]. Joe whats-his-name will take over for the next 2 and a half months. I will spend some of my remaining time on Earth trying to forgive myself for making Kenya, I mean, um, ah, Venezuela, I mean, um, ah, America worse off when I could have made, um, ah, America better off with the same effort and I will spend the rest of my life living in a hut with my half-brother whats-his-name in Kenya studying the Holy Qur’an. I mean, um, ah, studying golf, I mean, um, ah, studying horticulture. Allah willing. I mean, um, ah, God bless you. [Be sure to scratch your nose with your middle finger again]

VorDaj on October 30, 2012 at 10:25 PM

So Obama is going to stop hurricanes now? Are we that stupid as citizens that we think that he can do anything to stop hurricanes from causing deaths?

I saw many photos of cars flooded and parked in UNDERGROUND parking lots…

it’s not like they didn’t have massive media hysterics and hyped warnings… how about we hop on the ol bus/train/plane/car/hovercraft/preferred levitation device and get on west inland to a safe location instead of staying in the path of the hurricane….

sorry, for the sound of mind & body, I have zero compassion when they do not remove themselves from harm’s way to the best of their ability (specific situations such as the guy who was in an apartment and a tree crushed him) are clearly outside of this general comment).

I don’t need some president to tell me that we are tough – like he would know… or that we will rise like a phoenix from the proverbial ashes. Leave them alone – let the red cross care for them and insurance companies pay out as agreed to – stay out of it… it ain’t your job to solve everyone’s problems…

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM

AP, Ed, I lnow the excuse for autoplay ads is that you have a sole sourcer and they control the content. This is, IMO, a crappy excuse. When purely mobile users, such as myself, can’t access threads due to auto ads then let me tell ya, you might be winning the ad battle but you will lose the war in the form of reduced traffic. Think long term, please.

ManWithNoParty on October 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Obama on Benghazi the hurricane: “We leave nobody behind”

Ambassadors, Former Seals and State Department personal hardest hit…

SWalker on October 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM

“We leave nobody behind”

In one sentence….

… Pantload shifted the main attention to the victim’s of Sandy, back to Ty Woods and his thrice calls for assistance that not only never came, but were ordered to “Stand Down!”.

Seven Percent Solution on October 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I. CAN. NOT. WAIT. FOR. THIS. MONSTER’S. CONCESSION. SPEECH.

RedNewEnglander on October 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

AMEN!!!

dukecitygirl on October 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Where did you hear this?

cynccook on October 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Has been discussed for several days, at least, on many of the military blogs. Presumably, the Seal (I believe it is thought to have been Doherty) would not expose himself to fire and further identify his own position by doing this from the roof of the building, unless he knew that there was an aerial asset (armed drone or AC-130 gunship) capable of using the targeting designation. It wouldn’t be done “on spec”, just hoping that some help might wander past.

bofh on October 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM

If this was a Bush presidency it would be like Abu Ghraib x 100.

WisCon on October 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Obama air support denied……..American heroes bled and died……..more American families cried.

Hey Joss Whedon, make a Superhero movie about Benghazi if you dare.

PappyD61 on October 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Where did you hear this?

cynccook on October 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM

GLDs (Guided/Ground Laser Designators) can only deploy when they are synced up with a weaponized aircraft or system and the GLD operator would’ve had to sync it up first, before triggering it. It’s what proves there was help in the zone and somebody refused it.

TXUS on October 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM

He is one sick bastard

faraway on October 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Oh, dry up, turdboy.

Pork-Chop on October 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Jackalope on October 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM

THANK YOU!!! What a pontificating pufferfish (yeah … that’s my g rated thought…)

Oh and if they are part of his voting block… yes… have no fear, he will borrow/steal and plunder monies from those who dare have possession of such monies to meet their every need (after the government spends 90% of that money on other things and eventually 10% gets back to you!!!

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Boy tensions are high around here. I think we need a fun thread to blow off some steam.

gophergirl on October 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Good news……next Tuesday night, the traitorous media MIGHT start doing their job.

PappyD61 on October 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM

The ads have gotten so bad that I have started hitting the mute button on my computer as soon as I come here. Of course, that means I won’t be able to listen to any videos I might want to hear, but could I really listen to them with an ad playing at the same time?

There is a school of thought in the world of advertising that says annoying ads are perfectly acceptable if they get you noticed. I refuse to reward such obnoxious behavior. Anybody who annoys me with their ads gets no business from me. Good, tasteful ads may take more thought to produce, but they’re the only ones that will get me to spend my money.

backwoods conservative on October 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM

You notice that little glimmer in his eyes? He’s getting off on this. It’s the ultimate wet dream for a community organizer.

Flora Duh on October 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM

If this was a Bush presidency it would be like Abu Ghraib x 100.

WisCon on October 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Except President Bush would never abandon those four men. Hell, he’d fly himself if he had to. He would never have left the embassy that vulnerable either.

dukecitygirl on October 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Upon review.

It is October after all.

Not much of a suprise.

Does it count when they do themselves in with their own words.

In any event the msm will have one hell of a time back spinning this.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on October 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Facebook swines

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM

May Benghazi bring all the culprits down.

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

KCB on October 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Hey KCB, of course, sorry for the slow response. Trolls.

Bmore on October 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Flora Duh on October 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM

That’s why he’s milking it.

gophergirl on October 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

In any event the msm will have one hell of a time back spinning this.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on October 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Na, if there is one thing the Fifth Column Treasonous Media is good at… It’s bending over backwards and sticking their heads right straight up their own asses.

SWalker on October 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Seven Long Hours……………………………………..

canopfor on October 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM

dukecitygirl on October 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM

There you go. Simple, common sense.

Vince on October 30, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Seven Long Hours……………………………………..

canopfor on October 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I can’t bear to think about what they endured those seven hours. It makes me want to cry.

dukecitygirl on October 30, 2012 at 10:35 PM

There you go. Simple, common sense.

Vince on October 30, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Why thank you, sir.

dukecitygirl on October 30, 2012 at 10:36 PM

“We leave nobody behind”

That’s right. The Obama administration leaves no body behind.

They apparently do withhold assistance when it’s repeatedly and urgently called for until it’s too late… and then bring the bodies home, stand over them, make empty expressions of grief, and do their best to use them for political capital.

thatsafactjack on October 30, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Too bad for obama this happened so close to the election. I know that some think this is a “godsend” ,swine,… but obama can’t spend too much time dwelling on this because he has to campaign…

sandee on October 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Wanted to read this article, but could not because of all the auto ads and autoplay crap.

TarheelBen on October 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Sure, I can do that. But obaka is still quoted to teh supids.

ladyingray on October 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Excuse me?

JPeterman on October 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Obama is some kind of psychopath

faraway on October 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Who’s “we” champ????? Tell us that. If you mean “we” the US military, then you’re right, “we” don’t. But if “we” means your command team, then, well, …..we’ve got some issues, bub.

ted c on October 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM

sandee on October 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

oops wrong thread, should have been in the Christie thread…

sandee on October 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Dear Pres. Obama,

Your in need.

I am not going to come to your aid.

True as it gets,

Navy Vet.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on October 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM

ladyingray on October 30, 2012

..(I like you…and I can’t edit that!)

KOOLAID2 on October 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM

sandee on October 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Yup, he already has NJ and NY and now has to spend valuable time there. He needs to go to the battleground states.

dukecitygirl on October 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM

He has NAVY SEAL Benghazi blood on his hands.

He’s not fit to wipe the spittle off the boots of American troops.

PappyD61 on October 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM

No Mr. President, Navy Seals don’t leave anyone behind..you on the other hand..not so much..you betrayed those 2 americans who fought for hours to save 30 something people..and that is an impeachable offense

sadsushi on October 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM

sandee on October 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

oops wrong thread, should have been in the Christie thread…

sandee on October 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Holy cow! The storm is commenting at HA!!!!

Vince on October 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM

OT: Samaritan’s Purse has a ton of trucks full of building supplies and volunteers in Delaware just waiting for the go ahead to start helping people fix their homes. They have been asked to wait until the power lines are safe. Private donations, churches all working together, it’s an amazing thing to see.

What liberal group is doing anything like this? NONE, that’s who.

Night Owl on October 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Obama on Benghazi
the hurricane: “We leave nobody behind”

..boy!..wouldn’t you like to just punch him!

KOOLAID2 on October 30, 2012 at 10:43 PM

“If you didn’t donate your wedding gifts to me..
You will not get support…”

Lefties..

Defend this!!!

Electrongod on October 30, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Oh come on Allah. Obama is technically correct:

“We leave no body behind”

We retrieved the bodies of the Americans he left to get slaughtered in Benghazi.

portlandon on October 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM

That’s right. The Obama administration leaves no body behind.

You’re the best.

thatsafactjack on October 30, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Obama and Hillary lied their heads off, with the coffins behind them.

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM

What liberal group is doing anything like this? NONE, that’s who.

Night Owl on October 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM

But but according to Andrea Mitchell and the rest of the MSNBC hacks this is against the “guidelines”.

Thanks for sharing the tidbit – I just love Americans.

gophergirl on October 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM

“We’re taking fire, request gunship support….over”

“copy gunship request, request denied“….

“I say again, we are taking heavy fire, multiple tangoes, request immediate gunship support and alert the QRF”

“copy heavy fire at your location, multiple tangoes, and request for gunship and QRF support…. request is denied….”

“Our location is overrun, the gate is breached, the ambassador is under fire, I say again, the ambassador is under fire, request immediate gunship support and MEDEVAC”

“copy your location is overrun and gate is breached. Copy that ambassador is under fire and request for MEDEVAC support…..request is denied. outcopy”

***break***

ted c on October 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM

thatsafactjack on October 30, 2012 at 10:37 PM

That’s how it looks from my house.

KCB on October 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I think he may have been so stressed about the cover-up, that he thought he was still talking about/defending that. Kind of like projection, in that he is revealing what is really on his mind.

Jackalope on October 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM

He sounds like he’s trying to cross a bunch of “tough guy” movie lines off his bucket list. Let me know when he gets to “Not on my watch!”.

Left Coast Right Mind on October 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM

novacluus,

//sarc

APACHEWHOKNOWS on October 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I saw you talking about this before. If the former SEALS at the CIA Annex wanted to go help the Consulate and they were told not to go, that has nothing to do with whether there were drones or anything else available at the time. It is not just the equipment, people who volunteered to go help were told not to go. Why?

Night Owl on October 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Soul Shifter.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on October 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Do empty chairs float?

portlandon on October 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Obama is some kind of psychopath

faraway on October 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

totally mind blowing

burrata on October 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM

“We’re taking fire, request gunship support….over”

“copy gunship request, request denied“….

***break***

ted c on October 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM

And if that isn’t the actual transcript, it’s close enough that the difference doesn’t matter.

SWalker on October 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM