Er, “good” news: Disney to buy Lucasfilm, produce new “Star Wars” movie by 2015; Update: I have story treatments for three more episodes, says Lucas

posted at 4:56 pm on October 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

I expected to spend my shift today blogging about a disaster. I was right.

No, seriously, though, this is worth it if only for the material it’ll generate for the Red Letter Media guy.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments…

“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”…

Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

Romney’s poll surge in October has suppressed my eeyore immune system and left me dangerously vulnerable to optimism, so let me take it to critical condition by co-signing this Lileks tweet:

Yeah, even after the prequels, I don’t think it’s a matter of “Star Wars” being irredeemable. It’s Lucas who’s irredeemable, and Lucas is now stepping back and handing over the keys. That’s … good, no? Disney being Disney, the danger that they’ll go full Jar Jar is clear and present, but “Star Wars” fans will spend the next three years screechily drumming it into their skulls not to do that. Given how universally loathed the prequels are, I expect Disney will want to make a statement by resurrecting the series with something much different, and better, than what came before. Nolan’s Batman series will hopefully/probably be a model for stripping away the grotesque excesses and getting back to the spirit that made the originals compelling. But I don’t know, maybe I’m giving them too much credit. Ben Domenech just tweeted a photo from this series and now I wonder if even Plinkett can save this.

Exit advice for Robert Iger and Kathleen Kennedy, on behalf of everyone everywhere: Put the Pixar people in charge.

Update: The first thing I thought of when I heard the news. Click the image to watch.

Update: Plinkett is on red alert.

Update: Lucas helpfully volunteers that he has story treatments prepared for not one, not two, but three more episodes, which I guess means there’s enough “magic” left in the prequel bottle to get us through Episode IX.

Dude, it’s game over.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

It’s Disney–forget it–I don’t care who else is in charge.

stukinIL4now on October 30, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I don’t care. Star Wars is awesome.

BobMbx on October 30, 2012 at 7:20 PM

What could possibly go wrong with Disney making Star Wars movies? I mean, a remake of the original trilogy starring Mickey as Luke Skywalker, Goofy as Chewbacca, Donald as Han Solo, and Minnie as Princess Leia would be just precious, wouldn’t it?

Benedict Nelson on October 30, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I have story treatments for three more episodes, says Lucas

Could be interesting…if someone else directs them.

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 30, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I have story treatments for three more episodes.

That’s what scares me!

CrustyB on October 30, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Too soon…

Akzed on October 30, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I believe that the original series were supposed to be episodes 4, 5, and 6 of a nine film series to remind of of the old movie serials. This means that episodes 7, 8, and 9 would be after the final movie of the original three.

Since the novelizations established a full time line through the next generation, the story arc would have to be before those novelizations. This does limit when they can be set and what they can be about.

sabbahillel on October 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM

You want Star Wars to be great again? This is what you do: Go find Joss Whedon and ask him for the names of any of his assistant writing staff from Buffy/Firefly that he’s not employing right now and have them write the script. Then thank George profoundly for his input before dropping any paper he hands you right into an active volcano so that no one will ever see what he wrote. Can you do that Disney?

Browncoatone on October 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Disney will make a fortune on the next 3 movies. Fer sher.

Pythagoras on October 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM

With so much good SF out there begging for film treatment… we get more Star Wars?

How about some Hammer’s Slammers by David Drake? Keith Laumer’s Bolo material or his Retief stuff?

Saberhagen’s Berserkers?

Foster’s Humanx Commonwealth stories?

Flint’s 1632?

Niven’s Man-Kzin Wars?

No, wait… those take work, imagination, good stories… and I would pay good money to see ANY OF THEM on film.

ajacksonian on October 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Honor Harrington

Alfred Bester’s THE STARS MY DESTINATION

ETC…

ebrown2 on October 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM

… a remake of the original trilogy starring Mickey as Luke Skywalker, Goofy as Chewbacca, Donald as Han Solo, and Minnie as Princess Leia would be just precious, wouldn’t it?

Benedict Nelson on October 30, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Well, she’s already got the earstyle…

Mary in LA on October 30, 2012 at 7:45 PM

He claimed to have 9 stories back in the 1980s. This is not news (though the video of him saying it might be).

gh on October 30, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Brings to mind a certain episode of South Park.

agmartin on October 30, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Star Wars 4,5,6 (the first 3 made)… Brilliant in the original version; I watched them all many times.

Star Wars 1… watched in theaters… not great.
Star Wars 2… $1.50 matinee for Attack of the Clowns oh sorry “clones” I keep getting that wrong somehow.
Star Wars 3… I haven’t seen it yet, I’m waiting for it to be free on NetFlix and for me to have nothing better to do. I’ll see it eventually… probably.

If he’s got 3 more and we’re following the trend I’ll only watch any of them if trapped on an Airplane showing them where I can’t leave.

gekkobear on October 30, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Mel Brooks said it best in Spaceballs
“We’ll all meet back here in Spaceballs II, The Quest for More Money.”
(Apologies if someone posted this already. I did not read thru 200+ comments.)

dentalque on October 30, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Huh? So your saying Natalie Portman is not woman but a little girl? Dude Natalie Portman is in her 30s.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Seriously, sometimes the.level of reading comprehension on this site is disappointing.

She was born in 1981, she made Star Wars in 1997. That’s 16.
She is also under nourished and very petite, thus looks like a skeletal version of a 12 year old girl in the movie.

Geez.

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I’ll give it a shot.

The fact is that Lucas always had 9 movies planned. After the success of the first Star Wars, he surprised folks by letting someone else direct the second one, and that second one stands far above all of the rest except the original.

But it strikes me that I was 12 years old, spending my allowance on repeated viewings of the first Star Wars. I will be 50 when this one comes out.

Damn I feel old

Johnny 100 Pesos on October 30, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Oh, goody. Lucas gave a big old finger to all the authors that wrote about the events before Star Wars, completely ignoring all their work. Now he’s got his sights set on sticking his finger in the eyes of authors like Zahn that did great work on the events following RoTJ.

Count to 10 on October 30, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Master Mickey vs Darth Donald Duck

Stoic Patriot on October 30, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I will never watch anything of George Lucas again. He can kiss my capitalist ass.

beatcanvas on October 30, 2012 at 8:02 PM

According to a few other articles I read, he said he did not write any more Star Wars material, that the Disney people are in charge of that now.

I’m not sure how I feel about more Star Wars films. Part of me just wishes they’d give it a rest. I’m happy with the original trilogy.

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Nothing but the films themselves was ever canon. And once the re-edits started happening, those weren’t canon, either, apparently (yes, Han DID shoot first, and that was no small thing) Would I love to see Whedon take this on? heck yeah. But at least the people who made an amusement park ride into a very good movie will be around. “Creative consultant”? Yeah, paid to have his name on the credits-no way there will be a bunch of “Yes, George-ing” from The House of Mouse.

Javahog on October 30, 2012 at 8:03 PM

She was born in 1981, she made Star Wars in 1997. That’s 16.

Geez

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 7:56 PM

First of all the movie wasn’t made in 1997. I think the last movie came out about 6 or 7 years ago. So she well into her 20s when she made the movie. And what are talking about undernourished? She had a six pack. I’ve never heard of someone being undernourished having a six pack. So what if she’s petite? Some women are petite.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Star Wars 1… watched in theaters… not great.

gekkobear on October 30, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I thought Episode I was a good movie, when I was 9. It’s so bad that I can’t even re-watch it anymore. Attack of the Clones was somewhat better than the 1st one, but that’s not saying much. Episode 3 is actually a decent movie by itself, but it is nowhere near as good as any of the original movies.

Hopefully someone other than Lucas has control of the new movies, the prequels were nothing more than an attempt at a quick buck.

midgeorgian on October 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Would this be the “Republic” stories that follow Princess Leia and Han Solo as they rebuild the republic/jedi?”

I thought the movies were awesome when I was a teenager but shazam…..what was there to compare with in 1977? I remember Rona Barrett talking about it on Good Morning America and how Hollywood was all abuzz about this new film.

Now, I realize no set of films has EVER had worse dialogue than those 6 movies. Horrific.

“First Family” with Bob Newhart still ranks as my all time worst movie but the Star Wars flicks are close behind. And the casting of the wooden little Anakin kid…….AAAAARRRRRGGGGGH.

PappyD61 on October 30, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Btw, why no Walking Dead talkback yet this season, AP? Sunday’s episode was boss.

Kataklysmic on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I know! Another Walking Dead fan here.

I’ve been asking this same thing every so often the last couple of weeks. Let’s have a weekly Walking Dead thread on Sunday Nights on Hot Air!

Five Reasons ‘The Walking Dead’ is the Number One Show on TV

‘The Walking Dead’ Finally Gets the Villain It Deserves

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM

PappyD61 on October 30, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I hated that kid. Talk about bad acting.

The first three films were OK because they had a decent storyline and characters you liked. That can make up for a lot in a movie. The following three films had none of those things.

sharrukin on October 30, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Seriously, dude. Relax! The world ends in about 6 weeks. This’ll have to wait for the next incarnation of the universe.

They’ll never know what hit ‘em.

dissent555 on October 30, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Just curious, what is the tax on this transaction both Federal and CA and how much will actually be paid by this OWS 99%er living in a $40 Million house in Pacific Heights? Will Bay Area OWS crowd be fed and money distributed to them by the “evil rich”? Lucas in this case.

riddick on October 30, 2012 at 8:27 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 8:04 PM

The last movie (thus when she is the oldest) obviously isn’t the one I referenced.

And, eeeeeewwww….that’s not a six pack, she looks like a scrawny 12 year old.

Nasty.

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 8:31 PM

And, eeeeeewwww….that’s not a six pack, she looks like a scrawny 12 year old.

Nasty.

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Well she wasn’t a 12 year old girl when ANY of the films were made. As even you acknowledged she most definitely an adult when the last films were made. Women come in all shapes. Just because she’s slender (although I think she looked quite fit) and petite doesn’t make her any less woman. You might not like skinny and petite but that doesn’t make her any less woman.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Deadpan? I thought he was moody and whiny and petulant (in other words a teenager).

But I’ve heard others say he was wooden so I don’t doubt I’m in the minority.

gwelf on October 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

After one of the prequels, the first prequel I think, people dubbed Anakin Skywalker “Mannequin Skywalker”

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 8:42 PM

If Disney really wanted to make some decent money, they would finance another “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie with Johnny Depp et al, and Disney already owns the rights.

Steve Z on October 30, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Aren’t there already ten of those Pirates movies already; if so, I don’t know why they’d want to make more.

I enjoyed the first film or two, but they’re on cable all the time these days, and I got tired of the Jack Sparrow character after the first film or two.

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Browncoatone on October 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Ooooh. I came to make snarky comments about Jar-Jar and ewoks, but that has potential. Unfortunately, with Disney involved,it’s pretty clear that one of the primary goals will be, per Mel Brooks Spaceballs, “Moichandising!”

talkingpoints on October 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM

And, eeeeeewwww….that’s not a six pack, she looks like a scrawny 12 year old.

Nasty.

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 8:31 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Last FILM…..and……gross.

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Daikokuco on October 30, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Your opinions on Pixar and Star Wars are wrong.

LOL – I was kidding! M Night would not be the best director… but someone who has skill and would give the story depth would be necessary (so NOT michael bay… or spielberg..)

And yes.. sadly… I did see the happening (having liked his movie ‘the village’ as a romance/can we escape evil / setup a perfect society etc…) and the happening was not good…

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I did like the one super hero type movie he did, with Bruce Willis. Unbreakable? I think that was the title

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Last FILM…..and……gross.

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 8:57 PM

What’s gross? That women come in all shapes and sizes?

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Yeah. Hayden is a horrible actor.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 7:05 PM

In some movies, he is kind of bad, or flat, or just ‘average’ at acting. Other than the Star Wars films, I saw him in ‘Jumpers’ and ‘Awake’ and maybe one or two other roles.

He does have moments in some of these films where he seems very genuine, and pulls it off, but most of the time, he is simply brooding frowning towards the camera.

He seems like the male equivalent of Kristen Stewart of the ‘Twilight’ films, very little expression / emotion.

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Maybe we aren’t looking at this correctly. I just watched the interview of InstaGlenn and Camille Paglia and she says the duel scene in “Revenge of the Sith” is the most artistic thing done in the last thirty years.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 7:16 PM

But she did appear quite young in the Star Wars films.

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Why do most aliens speak English?

Why do most of them look like humans with costumes on?

How is the light saber so advanced? A Civil War Colt 45 is a better death instrument.

In what way is an AT At advanced? It’s slow & extremely clumsy.

I could go on & on.

itsnotaboutme on October 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM

But she did appear quite young in the Star Wars films.

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I only saw the last ones and she looked her age to me and she was obviously an adult in those films. I just don’t like being told what a woman is supposed to look like.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM

But she did appear quite young in the Star Wars films.

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 9:06 PM

And in the last Star Wars she was giving birth. So are saying she looked like a little girl giving birth?

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM

itsnotaboutme – some aliens in some of the Star Wars films do speak in alien languages, with English translations on the screen, like Jabba the Hutt for example.

I think that weird- looking alien co- pilot with Lando in the Falcon spoke an alien language. I don’t think the Tusken Raiders spoke English. The alien friend of the guy who picked a fight with Luke in the cantina didn’t speak English.

Chewbacca growled and barked, no English.

It doesn’t bother me when aliens speak English. We don’t have the time to sit through a month long movie where they all learn our language or we have to sit and watch English speaking human learn theirs. I don’t like reading sub-titles, either.

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM

How about the Wayan brothers do the films and then you could call it

WHITE CHICK WARS!!

PappyD61 on October 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM

What’s gross? That women come in all shapes and sizes?

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 9:00 PM

He (or she?) simply does not find Portman, or the way her character was depicted or dressed in Star Wars, appealing or attractive.

I find that refreshing, actually. I don’t think Portman (or Megan Fox or Angelina Jolie) are all that attractive and grow tired of all the males who drool over these ladies on blogs on a regular basis.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM

The other poster may have been exaggerating a bit with the “she looks twelve years old” line, but Portman did look very young for her age, she always reminded me of a 16 year old. She did not look anywhere like age 30 TO ME.

I don’t know why this is such a big issue for you that she appears very young to some of us who saw the films.

Some 12 year old girls do get pregnant. It’s not just women over the age of 25 who have babies.

There was a story several months ago of a ten year old who was raped, got pregnant, and had a baby.

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I don’t know, she was suppose to be a bit older than Anakin.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM

itsnotaboutme on October 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Chewbacca communicated in growls and barks, not English.

C-3P0 had to translate for Han Solo and Luke because the Ewoks did not know English.

R2D2 spoke in beeps and whistles.

I don’t think the Tusken Raiders knew English, or they did not speak it.

Jabba the Hutt spoke in an alien language with English sub-titles on the screen.

The guy who who picked a fight with Luke in the cantina did so because his alien buddy (who spoke in an alien language) said he didn’t like Luke.

Lando’s co pilot in the Falcon spoke an alien language.

It doesn’t bother me if aliens in films speak English. I am not interested in watching 50 hours of humans in a classroom learning Alien 101 or aliens learning English, nor do I enjoy reading sub titles.

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 9:19 PM

What’s gross? That women come in all shapes and sizes?

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 9:00 PM

That’s your take away huh?

Alrighty then. Keep flogging that horsey.

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Well that is the line that annoyed me and insinuating she’s not a woman. Every woman looks different. I guess I get your point about not drooling over her. But you can not drool over her while not demeaning her as being a little girl, which she is not.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Hot Air is not publishing my posts to itsnotabout me, for whatever reason. I’ve tried 3 times so far, but my post will not appear.

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Okay, NOW that post is showing up.

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM

She doesn’t look like a grown woman in the films. She looks like a teenager. It’s not necessarily demeaning or insulting to say she looks younger than she is. Most actresses would find that a huge compliment.

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Chewbucka is a banned word for some reason.

sharrukin on October 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Ah. Now we b
Get to the point,

Take your femanazi attitude down a notch and actually do the math, she was 16 when she filmed the first one, which I already told you and you ignored.

16.

And she’s a stick figure, and looks far younger than she should have in the next one, which I think is gross.

And the last one you should hate anyway, since she was basically told to sit in the corner and be a good girl, while big bad anakin ran around being evil and stuff. Then he beat her up and choked her out. Then she “just dies” – because her teeny whittle heart is bwoken…

And he was able to do so because she’s really just a scrawny 12 year old girl…….so there….. :)

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Uh, I don’t any grown woman who would find it to be a compliment to be told they don’t look like a grown woman.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM

George Lucas is getting old; time to retire with a whopping big payout.

mad scientist on October 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Leave Star Wars alone! You’ve damaged it enough with the crap-quels! Just release the originals (in original format) on Blu-Ray already!

*cries over the continued mutilation of the corpse of his childhood as a SW geek*

Pattosensei on October 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I can see it now – Lucas locked out of input on the new films:

Lucus: Hey! I get have influence in the creative process of these new films. My contract says so. We had a deal.

Disney execs: Pray we don’t alter it any further.

johnnybgood on October 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM

TigerPaw on October 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Terryann – natalie portman ACTED like a little spoiled, wimpy girl in the III prequel… Somehow she went from the youngest, toughest queen of a entire PLANET (Naboo) to a wimpy little girl who couldn’t do anything but whine and coo after anakin (soon-to-be-darthy) and become his baby’s carrier… It was pretty disgusting actually =)

But I digress – the storylines and dialogue is infantile at best in the prequels… natalie portman ain’t my cup of tea for a myriad of reasons (to each their own!)

Tigerpaw – LOL – true.

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 9:44 PM

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Well there’s a difference between your critiques and KCM’s. You are saying she ACTED like a little girl. Fine she’s not your cup of tea but there are tactful and unoffensive ways to say she’s not your cup of tea. I think your post was more tactful.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM

ajacksonian on October 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM

ebrown2 on October 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Thanks to you both. I’ve been in a fiction rut and looking for something interesting to read.

rogerb on October 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

KMC – that is actually spot-on – that last movie her character (amidala/portman) suddenly made the shift to damsel in whining/pathetic/victimhood distress – sort of like a normal obama voter… guess she didn’t make it to the soon-to-be empire’s planned parenthood to get her taxpater-funded plan b murder pill??? Anyway… just awful character development in the star wars prequels.

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM

but he raped Indy.
he must pay.

dmacleo on October 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 9:44 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM

and the truth of the matter is that I don’t know her personally and I have not… ahem … seen her in entirety so who am I to judge her physical appearance in reality sans whatever the camera/editing details… However she did willingly participate in the filth that was the movie ‘black swan’ and therefore looses a significant amount of my respect for allowing herself to be degraded in such a disgusting movie… (my opinion of course is subject to reconsideration given new facts).

As far the star wars movies – it’s basically a disaster for every human component so from what I see there – natalie portman did herself zero favors and it’s a wonder that hayden christensen (sp?) survived that awfulness.

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Wait, the whole story has already been told.

Now, if we’re in for some Star Wars T&A……

BobMbx on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I think we’re definitely due for an R rated one, maybe something from Old Republic or Darth Bane series.

Nutstuyu on October 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Wait, the whole story has already been told.

Now, if we’re in for some Star Wars T&A……

BobMbx on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Nutstuyu on October 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM

It will not be rated R for THAT reason. Come now – they want to be able to market to the kiddies and in order to sell the toys, they have to be pg13 at worst …. I mean even a fair amount of dimwitted moron parents will not drag their young kids to an R rated movie (oh I pray that I am still right about this – after reading about the little kids at the latest batman movie ….. I question myself).

They’ll keep it relatively clean in that regard if Lucas has any say in it – I have to say – Star Wars has stayed clear of anything along that line – even in the Star Wars books – they do not let them play around with language (I mean they curse in alien language but…) or detailed human interactions of a erm…. interesting nature =)

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Chewbucka is a banned word for some reason.

sharrukin on October 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

For whatever reason, HA takes offense to comparing Mooch Obama to the “C” word or the more generic “W” word to describe the “C”word’s species. Hope that cleared things up even though it makes no sense.

Happy Nomad on October 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM

You’ve seen one; you’ve seen them all.

lorien1973 on October 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Just like an Obama ad!

Nutstuyu on October 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Half the audience was under 15 when I went to see Expendables 2. Maybe they could at least make it a harder pg-13 like Bond or Transporter.

Nutstuyu on October 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Happy Nomad on October 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Gotta love political correctness coming to the defense of Democrats. Never seems to work the other way of course.

sharrukin on October 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Saberhagen’s Berserkers?

Foster’s Humanx Commonwealth stories?

Flint’s 1632?

Niven’s Man-Kzin Wars?

ajacksonian on October 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I’m still waiting for someone with balls the size of cue balls to do C.S. Lewis’ space trilogy.

Nutstuyu on October 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Nutstuyu on October 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Oh don’t misunderstand me – I would absolutely delight in a tv mini-series covering the timothy zahn book trilogy & following novels that fleshed out that books and allowed for character development etc… and that could be all the way up to game of thrones level detail (sans some of the gratuitous n*dity and carnal interactions which do not add to the story… there is a whole channel… HBO/showtime for that sort of thing)…

it would be great to break free of the simplistic lens that disney normally runs it’s blockbusters through…. but I doubt that we will be getting a battlestar galatica out of this deal – as much as I would gain joy from that…. maybe! we’ll see… it can only go up from episode III!

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM

sharrukin on October 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Blessing/curse of living by higher standards (and self-applying those high standards to one’s own discourse)…

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Nutstuyu on October 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM

make that basketballs – that would be a lofty undertaking – would have to be someone like Nolan or Peter Jackson to make that work correctly.

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I have story treatments for three more episodes, says Lucas

Oh, hell no!

jix on October 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Ooh, ooh, maybe Miss First Time With O can be in it! I mean Jar Jar has to marry someone right?

Nutstuyu on October 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

At least the gungans were smart enough to ban jar jar binks from their entire society and treat him like an outcast… we keep elitist bumbling idiots in power and in the education system like they are treasured beings…

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Meh. Not excited.

dukecitygirl on October 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Chewbucka is a banned word for some reason.

sharrukin on October 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Happy Nomad on October 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I saw your comment,sharrukin, and it took less than a second’s thought before I began to giggle myself silly. Being as I was one of the many that got “chided” by HA for referring to the First Lady as “the First W – word”.

What?? Look at her…

tickleddragon on October 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Chewbucka is a banned word for some reason.

sharrukin on October 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

What?? Look at her…

tickleddragon on October 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Its even sillier given how easy it is to get by the filter.

sharrukin on October 30, 2012 at 11:29 PM

tickleddragon on October 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Its even sillier given how easy it is to get by the filter.

sharrukin on October 30, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Tread VERY carefully. One of my favorite commenters here, Upstater85 was banned for a similar comment, said only in jest.

He was one of the good ones…I still miss the old dear.

Laura in Maryland on October 30, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Dear Disney,

If you want a good Lucas film… fire him as director and get someone who can direct. Examine The Empire Strikes Back.

That is your only hope.

ajacksonian on October 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I know, I know, I know:

Brett Ratner

Just kidding…

Jurisprudence on October 30, 2012 at 11:55 PM

If Lucas is gone, then I have blind hope. Hopefully his story ideas will be tossed out, but I am sure there are plenty of Star Wars fanboys working for Disney/Pixar who are chomping at the bit to fix Star Wars.

Andrew Stanton would be my favorite. He had some problems filming his first live action film with John Carter, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself while watching that movie. John Carter recaptures that blockbuster feel movies used to have in the 80s; you really feel like you’re on a grand adventure when watching that film.

Daemonocracy on October 30, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Laura in Maryland on October 30, 2012 at 11:51 PM

They are usually pretty good here about banning people. If they get banned it’s very often deserved.

Daemonocracy on October 30, 2012 at 11:55 PM

I think the problem with movies like John Carter is that if they are too powerful the moviegoer loses touch with the character and it takes away the drama of the struggle that any movie needs. Some movies can overcome this by concentrating on other areas but it leaves them at a disadvantage all things being equal.

sharrukin on October 31, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I wouldn’t worry too much. Kathleen Kennedy is the fountainhead of Amblin Entertainment, which did all of Spielberg’s films.

John the Libertarian on October 31, 2012 at 12:39 AM

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 8:04 PM

The movie was released in 1999:

From the Star Wars Wiki:

“Shooting took place from June 26 to September 30, 1997″

Natalie Portman was born in June of 1981:

Thus, she was barely sixteen when the movie was made. KMC1 is absolutely correct.

Theophile on October 31, 2012 at 1:49 AM

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Terry Gilliam would be the man for the job. :) :) :)

Theophile on October 31, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Pre-quel #7:

Mickey, Goofy and Vader’s Clone versus the Sith Princess Lilo

#8!

Pluto, Jar-Jar and the Ewoks Conquer Planet Georgooine

#9!!

Plan 9 from Mill Valley Meets the Robot Monster B4U8

profitsbeard on October 31, 2012 at 2:15 AM

OK. If the mouse has any brains, Disney would make these next three Star Wars movies the “Zahn trilogy adapted to movies” trilogy. They could also make a TV series based off of the X-Wing series of books and comics.

Also. Please! No CGI! Give us real models that actually blow up. Furthermore, we need a fleet battle. The battle of Endor was an amazing brawl with each side having a large complement of capital ships and fighter screens. The battle of Courscant from RotS was terrible. It wasn’t a fleet battle, it was Obi-Wan and Anakin fight robots in space while things blow up in the background.

Fizzmaister on October 31, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Disney will make a fortune on the next 3 movies. Fer sher.

Pythagoras on October 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Right. And they’ll do so with an entirely new audience by appealing to them with entirely new characters using the old name of “Star Wars” now reshaped into something else.

They WILL make a huge amount of money off these films but it won’t be from the Star Wars fans as they’ve existed since 1977.

And as to the Theme Park integration of the Star Wars “new” appearances there…no way ANY character, the old ones or the soon-to-be-revealed “new” ones can EVER be a part of a theme park and NOT be somewhat if not entirely silly. I mean, how seriously can a character BE when everyone past the age of two knows there’s a hired hand in a costume there acting out a series of highly rehearsed moves?

Lourdes on October 31, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Witness the birth of Silly Wars.

Lourdes on October 31, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Honestly, people were very skeptical when Disney took over Marvel comics.
Now look at Marvel. It’s pretty much done a 180 as a business since the take over and their comics are on a rebound. Story lines are much better and ideas for new books are great(Ultimate series).

Disney can’t ruin it any worse than Lucas has over the past 15 years.

scrubbiedude on October 31, 2012 at 7:38 AM

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 8:31 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Terry, you are MISSING THE POINT.

The POINT made by KMC1 earlier is that the “Lollipop Head Women” that Hollywood HAS TO HAVE on screen exist because Hollywood HAS to put a figure of a perpetually adolescent female on screen to be cool and acceptable. Your safari there in defensiveness about who and what “is woman” is proof of that…that there’s this determination that “is woman” is something physically defined and argued over when there’s some assumption, wrong or not, about who said what that just.might.be.offensive.to.the.cultural.norm of “who is woman”…

Those “Lollipop Head Women” are there because the culture really HAS to see a female at a perpetually adolescent, pubescent form to be a star. So women actors grow older and remain starved and their bodies stay little while their growing adult heads look like Lollipops atop a stick. Look around, you’ll see them everywhere in the entertainment industry.

And Portman DOES look like a twelve year old most of the time and it’s not by accident that she does. She’s a small person as an adult, yes, but she fulfills the right requirements for screen fantasy of the allusion of The Woman Who Is Twelve Forever.

Lourdes on October 31, 2012 at 7:48 AM

John the Libertarian on October 31, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I agree. She will likely be the saving grace to these upcoming, additional sequels as to quality and sincerity on screen, BUT there won’t be any roughness about them, no more Han-Solo-snarling.

Lourdes on October 31, 2012 at 8:02 AM

You want Star Wars to be great again? This is what you do: Go find Joss Whedon and ask him for the names of any of his assistant writing staff, catering service, or gophers from Buffy/Firefly that he’s not employing right now and have them write the script. Then thank George profoundly for his input before dropping any paper he hands you right into an active volcano so that no one will ever see what he wrote. Can you do that Disney?

Browncoatone on October 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Agreed w/ minor changes.

roy_batty on October 31, 2012 at 8:31 AM

You can feel the Fail already.

CorporatePiggy on October 31, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Honor Harrington

ebrown2 on October 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Yes! Except I wouldn’t do it as movies – I would serialize it into TV. You could do approximately one book a season. I would also put a break into the middle somewhere and do a two episode treatement of one of the short stories from the anthologies. Finding the right actress for Honor would be the hard part.

GWB on October 31, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Finding Nemo – On The Death Star!

jangle12 on October 31, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Given how universally loathed the prequels are

Pssshhhh, whatevah!!! My sister and useless brother in law love those flicks. They also call cinema flicks.

abobo on October 31, 2012 at 1:50 PM