Er, “good” news: Disney to buy Lucasfilm, produce new “Star Wars” movie by 2015; Update: I have story treatments for three more episodes, says Lucas

posted at 4:56 pm on October 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

I expected to spend my shift today blogging about a disaster. I was right.

No, seriously, though, this is worth it if only for the material it’ll generate for the Red Letter Media guy.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments…

“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”…

Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

Romney’s poll surge in October has suppressed my eeyore immune system and left me dangerously vulnerable to optimism, so let me take it to critical condition by co-signing this Lileks tweet:

Yeah, even after the prequels, I don’t think it’s a matter of “Star Wars” being irredeemable. It’s Lucas who’s irredeemable, and Lucas is now stepping back and handing over the keys. That’s … good, no? Disney being Disney, the danger that they’ll go full Jar Jar is clear and present, but “Star Wars” fans will spend the next three years screechily drumming it into their skulls not to do that. Given how universally loathed the prequels are, I expect Disney will want to make a statement by resurrecting the series with something much different, and better, than what came before. Nolan’s Batman series will hopefully/probably be a model for stripping away the grotesque excesses and getting back to the spirit that made the originals compelling. But I don’t know, maybe I’m giving them too much credit. Ben Domenech just tweeted a photo from this series and now I wonder if even Plinkett can save this.

Exit advice for Robert Iger and Kathleen Kennedy, on behalf of everyone everywhere: Put the Pixar people in charge.

Update: The first thing I thought of when I heard the news. Click the image to watch.

Update: Plinkett is on red alert.

Update: Lucas helpfully volunteers that he has story treatments prepared for not one, not two, but three more episodes, which I guess means there’s enough “magic” left in the prequel bottle to get us through Episode IX.

Dude, it’s game over.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

If Disney really wanted to make some decent money, they would finance another “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie with Johnny Depp et al, and Disney already owns the rights.

Steve Z on October 30, 2012 at 5:35 PM

In my opinion, the script makes or breaks a movie. You can have the best director and actors but if the story line is not there….you’ve got yourself a loser movie.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 5:35 PM

What’s wrong with more Star Wars?

I think it’s borderline Un-American to wish for Star Wars to stay buried forever!

HondaV65 on October 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

…well if you’re for it…just out of principle I have to be against it! (:->)

KOOLAID2 on October 30, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Exit advice for Robert Iger and Kathleen Kennedy, on behalf of everyone everywhere: Put the Pixar MARVEL people in charge.

FIFY.

fusionaddict on October 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM

This, please. The only problem is that Lucas rewrote the “history” of the Clone Wars for the prequel trilogy, which messes with a good bit of the story.

sadarj on October 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Didn’t realize that.
It’s a shame.

Hope they find a good way to make it happen anyway.

hatespam on October 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Iowahawk is helping blow up Twitter, hashtag #disneystarwars!

Mitsouko on October 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Thank goodness.

I’ve got a storage room FULL of classic Star Wars memorabilia. Lots and lots of Episodes IV-V-VI classic stuff — and a little Episode I-II-III stuff. Choice classic stuff galore including stuff I started collecting back in 1977 where it all started — but I want to get rid of it all so bad.

This may be my chance. It’s a heckuva Star Wars Lot.

[interested? please reply. PLEASE!]

FlatFoot on October 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Although John Carter didn’t do well at the movies (bad advertising on Disney’s part), the movie itself is really very good. I’m pretty happy with Disney’s other shows, so who knows, this might be a good thing for Star Wars.

ShadowsPawn on October 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Yeah and the people of Naboo thought the Trade Federation’s blockade was going to help the economy.

Happy Nomad on October 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Go back and look at “The Empire Strikes Back” and study Irvin Kirshener’s work. Recreate that and you’ll have the Star Wars magic back.

itsspideyman on October 30, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Han shot first.

That is all.

Yakko77 on October 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM

More importantly, Bishop, is this you being some one else? akaniku

Bmore on October 30, 2012 at 5:32 PM

…can’t be B!…this one ^ has a thing for goats!

KOOLAID2 on October 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Timothy Zahn the author – wrote episodes 7, 8 & 9 already and they are great – just carefully adapt and don’t make it cheesy disney…. Oh dear… we’re doomed aren’t we…

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM

John Carter was just ok, but Disney must have decided not to throw money at it after they saw the pricetag. I mean, there were no John Carter action figures or toys!

Also, overseas saved it. I think they ended up breaking even in the end with the dvd sales.

WitchDoctor on October 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 5:35 PM

True enough which is why there are so many re-makes these days. Tested plot lines. But IMO, too much of stuff out of Disney in recent years seems to be all about the promotional sales. Nevermind if the movie is awful so long as you can pick up a “collecter’s edition” cup at your local fast food outlet. Everyplace but NYC because these cups tend to be larger than the legally accepted amount of beverage under the Bloomberg dictatorship.

Happy Nomad on October 30, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Disney to buy Lucasfilm, produce new “Star Wars” movie by 2015

Early storylines revolve around the ecological disaster on Endor created by the Death Star debris raining down, dysfunction in the Solo household when Hans Jr. purchases a space freighter for running drugs to the systems on the outer rim, and Master Jedi Skywalker is diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease during his attempt to win the chair of the Jedi Council.

Side-stories include:

Fighting over banning Jedi Mind Trick usage without prior consent

Bi-species marriage

Universal warming

BobMbx on October 30, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I’m excited for a Star Wars VII. But at the same time, I’m not super impressed with this move by Disney. Creativily, the Star Wars property isn’t what it was decades ago when the entire Star Wars mythos had yet to be fleshed out. Besides the Prequels messing things up, Disney has to contend with the entire “Expanded Universe,” leaving very little room for Luke and Friends to do anything without treading on decades of licensed work. As far as I can see, Disney has four paths:

1. continue on with fleshing out the Dark Times between the PT and the OT,

2. start bringing “Expanded Universe” stuff to the screen,

3. pick an untapped time period in the distant past or future to play around with or

4. reboot. ^_^

Scopper on October 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM

What’s wrong with more Star Wars?

HondaV65 on October 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Ponder this:

A Wizard of Oz re-make.

BobMbx on October 30, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Hollywood totally devoid of new ideas, trying to rehash something which was fresh in 1977, but was almost 40 years ago.

bayview on October 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM

The Thrawn Trilogy – written by author Timothy Zahn that’s all it would take to be a success.

Hand of Thrawn series

Specter of the Past (1997)
Vision of the Future (1998)
Survivor’s Quest (2004)
Outbound Flight (2006)

Now… they would have to entire re-cast and sign on actors for the long haul (like they did with harry potter) in order to make it all believable…

This is EXCITING!

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Let Joss Whedon write and direct it and I’m sold.

spinach.chin on October 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

It’s amazing how a series of film that have never made a profit suddenly get bought for $4 billion.

Queasy on October 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Happy Nomad on October 30, 2012 at 5:42 PM

True enough but it seems the Star Wars franchise has already been promoted the heck out of so what would Disney do that hasn’t already done?

Frankly, I don’t think there is no story left to tell in the Star Wars saga. Just let it go.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Disney could do the full JarJar on Ep.7 and it would still be the best Ep since #5.

There is only one explanation for how Lucas can get through each day without putting a gun in his mouth: he’s completely clueless as to just how much of a laughingstock he’s become. Of course, “clueless” defines every project he’s ever controlled (Howard the Duck, anyone?), so that is no great surprise.

Splashman on October 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Also no more Superman, Spiderman or Batman movies. I’m sick of those movies as well.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Star Wars 7, Darth punks Gumby.

Limerick on October 30, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I thought it was known way back that Star Wars was intended to be a set of 9 movies. The last three being the “next generation” – Han and Leia’s kids. I’m glad they’re getting done and hope they turn out well.

Also, it seems most of you are pretty ignorant of the relationship Disney already has with the Star Wars franchise. The Disney Studios park in FL has their Star Tours – Star Wars themed – ride. Also, during the summers they have a series of Star Wars weekends.
Huge draw, packed – lots of actors, animators and other associates with the various shows and movies there for meet and greets, autographs, etc. Disney is already invested in the franchise and seeing a return – this is just upping their ante and giving them room to do more tie-ins with the parks and merchandising. If Universal can have Harry Potter world, Disney can counter with Star Wars universe, or some such.

Unless they totally crap the bed – and seriously, how can anything be worse than I-III? – this will be a huge boon for Disney, and Star Wars fans.

WhaleBellied on October 30, 2012 at 5:52 PM

BTW, I agree with Allah: hand over Ep7 to Pixar. More specifically, to some combination of Brad Bird, Lee Unkrich, and Pete Doctor. And for God’s sake, keep Lasseter on the Jungle Cruise the entire time.

Splashman on October 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM

With respect terryannonline…

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Unless you have read the better of many, many star wars books/novels, and do not think that any of those are any good… you would not be saying that there is no more story there… Heir to the Empire. Dark Force Rising & the Last Command are great books – light enough to be Disney fare while still having a pretty tight, creative story…

I agree – let the silly prequels and the shallow first three movies go… those weak storylines and most of the dialogue is shudder-worthy!

But… to tell the deeper stories in Zahn’s books… would make my day (if casted and written properly…)…

Imagine… M Night Shyamalan directing!!! with twists!

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 5:56 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Seriously? Disney money, Disney power, Disney resources – and you ask what more promotion could they do?

I think you’re forgetting the park aspect. The limit is really only the imagination – and luckily Disney employs those Imagineers…

WhaleBellied on October 30, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Hand of Thrawn series

Specter of the Past (1997)
Vision of the Future (1998)
Survivor’s Quest (2004)
Outbound Flight (2006)

This is EXCITING!

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Yup! Also, Nathan Fillion for recast Han Solo would bring it’s own built in fanbase.

Kevin71 on October 30, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Also, keep in mind that Eeyore is Disney-owned, so it must be a conspiracy.

eforhan on October 30, 2012 at 5:58 PM

That’s no moon…”

LOL – good one, AP.

KS Rex on October 30, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Kevin71 on October 30, 2012 at 5:57 PM

That’s BRILLIANT! Someone tweet him and ask him to be han solo! He would LOVE that role. And he’s got the perfect swagger/confidence to pull it off.. BRILLIANT I say.

Who would play Admiral Thrawn…? because he’s such an immense character….

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Imagine… M Night Shyamalan directing!!! with twists!

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Ugh. Most over-rated and over-hyped one-trick pony ever.

Splashman on October 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM

With so much good SF out there begging for film treatment… we get more Star Wars?

How about some Hammer’s Slammers by David Drake? Keith Laumer’s Bolo material or his Retief stuff?

Saberhagen’s Berserkers?

Foster’s Humanx Commonwealth stories?

Flint’s 1632?

Niven’s Man-Kzin Wars?

No, wait… those take work, imagination, good stories… and I would pay good money to see ANY OF THEM on film.

ajacksonian on October 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Imagine… M Night Shyamalan directing!!! with twists!

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Did you see The Happening?

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Ugh. Most over-rated and over-hyped one-trick pony ever.

Splashman on October 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Did you see The Happening?

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 6:00 PM

LOL – I was kidding! M Night would not be the best director… but someone who has skill and would give the story depth would be necessary (so NOT michael bay… or spielberg..)

And yes.. sadly… I did see the happening (having liked his movie ‘the village’ as a romance/can we escape evil / setup a perfect society etc…) and the happening was not good…

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Don’t get me wrong, the first three Stars Wars were superbly made just the way they are now. The most recent three… not so much. Imagine though what two genius innovating movie moguls like the Walt Disney and pre-sucky-era George Lucas could have done together (if their careers had overlapped).

Glenn Jericho on October 30, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Help us Obi John Lasseter, you’re our only hope.

DANEgerus on October 30, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I was hopng this is/was a Jedi mind trick..:)

Dire Straits on October 30, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Will the Jedi have claws that come out of their hands?

No. They will be wearing tutu’s.
kcd on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

And… Jar Jar will lead a chorus of Ewoks… singing a happy song.

CPT. Charles on October 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I’ve seen Hayden Christensen in other movies. He’s actually a decent actor. It’s hard to act when you are working with horrible material.

terryannonline

Hayden is a terrible actor, lol. As bad as the prequel was, he made it even worse.

xblade on October 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Help us Obi John Lasseter, you’re our only hope.

DANEgerus on October 30, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I hope you’re being sarcastic. Lasseter is responsible for Cars 2. And he must have green-lighted Brave.

Brad Bird, Lee Unkrich, Pete Doctor, and Andrew Stanton would all be excellent choices to helm Ep7. At this point, Lasseter’s most important contribution is fostering talent.

Splashman on October 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Update: I have story treatments for three more episodes, says Lucas

All hope has now been crushed!

sharrukin on October 30, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Of course… there is no guarantee that disney does not start up some new story from nowhere and completely leaves the timothy zahn amazing books series to rot… Trying to think positive here!

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Saberhagen’s Berserkers?

Yes. Yes, and yes.

My favorite? “The Jester”. I don’t think Saberhagen wrote that one, though. “The Wolf” was excellent also.

“Are you goodlife or badlife?”

BobMbx on October 30, 2012 at 6:14 PM

The good news here is that Todd Akin has finally discovered what “illegitimate rape” is.

lorien1973 on October 30, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Oh, and can’t leave out “Ringworld”

BobMbx on October 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Update: I have story treatments for three more episodes, says Lucas

All hope has now been crushed!

sharrukin on October 30, 2012 at 6:12 PM

As long as Lucas is kept away from, you know, actually writing and directing, this could be epic. Keep him on for special effects, if he needs to do something. Also, Harrison Ford was 41 when ROTJ was filmed. Nathan Fillion is 41 now. Not a coincidence…just sayin’.

Kevin71 on October 30, 2012 at 6:17 PM

The deal includes plans for Star Wars: Episode VII, which is in early development, aiming for release in 2015. Walt Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced in a shareholder conference call that the studio also plans to release Episode VIII and Episode IX. “Our longterm plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years,” he added, noting that the deal came with “an extensive and detailed treatment for the next three movies.”

“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” said Star Wars creator and Lucasfilm CEO George Lucas in a statement. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime.” Iger said Lucas began considering retirement four or five years ago, and the two began informally discussing Disney acquiring Lucasfilm a year and a half ago, although the two only got serious more recently.

Veteran producer Kathleen Kennedy, who recently became co-chairman of Lucasfilm, will become the studio’s president, reporting to Disney studios chairman Alan Horn. She will executive produce the future Star Wars films, with Lucas serving as a creative consultant. In a video released by Disney (and embedded below), Lucas says he and Kennedy have already been working on future Star Wars films with unspecified writers. “We have a large group of ideas and characters and books and all kinds of things,” Lucas said. “We could go on making Star Wars for the next 100 years.”

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Lucas has already setup the story – NOOOOOOOOOO…. this is Worse than if Star Wars had ended at the end of the Empire Strikes Back!!!

……… this is awful…. just awful….

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I would encourage all folks who doubt Disney’s ability to tell a story worthy of Star Wars to consider their Kingdom Hearts video game franchise.

I think it depends heavily on the creative team put in charge. It could be really good or it could be really terrible. But given the Star Wars prequels and Lucas’ re-invention of Mandalorians as pacifists, I don’t think SW has anywhere to go but up.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell2 on October 30, 2012 at 6:18 PM

If Disney is smart these go right into the circular file.

Rocks on October 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM

pendell2 on October 30, 2012 at 6:18 PM

You are making it worse.

Rocks on October 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Update: I have story treatments for three more episodes, says Lucas

Glenn Jericho on October 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I must confess I’m not big Star Wars fan. I haven’t seen all the films.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

May Disney burn them.

NotCoach on October 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Kevin71 on October 30, 2012 at 6:17 PM

All is desolation.

We are going to have the Disneyfied Attack Of The Gummy Bear Clones led by their incoherent rebel leader Jar Jar Binks dancing out a cool rap number.

sharrukin on October 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM

My only hope is that this could mean Disney will nix their planned Avatarland and instead make a Star Wars land. I’m not sure about the land situation at Disney Studios Orlando but if they could build it behind Star Tours that would make the Studios more than the half-day park that it is right now. They already do Star Wars weekends there every year; it’s a no-brainer.

angela on October 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I haven’t seen all the films.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

You’ve seen one; you’ve seen them all.

lorien1973 on October 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Dear Disney,

If you want a good Lucas film… fire him as director and get someone who can direct. Examine The Empire Strikes Back.

That is your only hope.

ajacksonian on October 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

xblade on October 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I agree, but Lucas has proven over and over that he can make good actors look bad. Look at the talent squandered: Sam Jackson, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portmanm, and Christopher Lee. Not everyone would say those are great actors, but no one in their right mind would say any are bad actors. And Lucas managed to get every one of them nominated for “Cardboard Character of the Century”.

I should also point out: Han Solo, in Star Wars and Empire, was an interesting character. Not Oscar-worthy, of course, but interesting. Those are the two movies that Lucas had least control over. In Jedi, the first of the series that he truly controlled, Solo became a smirking, cutesy parody of himself. Again, Harrison Ford will never be confused with a great actor, but Lucas wasted the talent that was available.

Splashman on October 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

xblade on October 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM

How do you explain his good performances in Life as a House and Shattering Glass? Just a fluke?

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Er, back in the day, Lucas said that the first three were part of a 9 series drama, with the first three being in the center. The prequals were always intended to take place prior to the original saga. They were done badly. Doesn’t mean the next three need to be bad. The prequals were all pre-rebellion, when the empire was rich. The original saga showed the empire when it was a lot less wealthy and a lot dirtier. Maybe that is where the next three will take place, in a grittier world, with less grandiose crap that weighed down the prequals, along with the turgid dialog and bad stories. I’ll wait and see. But the notion of three more stories is nothing new, it was the plan once upon a time, though Lucas apparently thought it would not get done after the prequals.

Grinch on October 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM

You’ve seen one; you’ve seen them all.

lorien1973 on October 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Correction: If you’ve seen Ep1, you’ve seen 2 & 3 & 6.

4 and 5 are distinct from those, and from each other.

Splashman on October 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Loving the alt titles flying on Twitter

peski on October 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I must confess I’m not big Star Wars fan. I haven’t seen all the films.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Can’t say that I blame you – the movies are good once but there is not much there to make you long for a return trip. The books by Timothy Zahn follow up right after the events in the Return of the Jedi (the last of the original three movies) and just take it to a whole different level of gripping storytelling (IMHO of course your mileage may vary… might be worth a pickup at your local library) As a teenager I loved reading Timothy Zahn’s star wars novels – as an adult with far more important things to do that read about fictional lives… the lustre fades =)

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Keep beating that mummified horse.

Pork-Chop on October 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I’ve rewatched the originals many times. They’re pretty good. Some people say it didn’t age well, but I disagree. The prequels were outdated before they even came out.

Looks like Lucas is channeling Obama. He’s systematically destroying everything he touches.

MrX on October 30, 2012 at 6:30 PM

bayview on October 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM

1977-2012 (or 2013ish) = almost 40 years.

That must be government math.

Happy Nomad on October 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Lucas can have Star Wars…

… as long as he never touches this again.

Seven Percent Solution on October 30, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I was watching Attack of the Clones last night and was thinking how unfortunate that the last 3 movies were not going to be made.
This news made my day.

oceansidecon on October 30, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Dude, it’s game over.

The Death Star just blew up itself.

I heard Disney file the ideas in a place called TRASH.

Oil Can on October 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Great! A George Lucas storyline with Disney purse strings. What could go wrong? Five words: “Howard the Duck” and “John Carter“

Glenn Jericho on October 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I guess we forget Mars Needs Moms as quickly as Disney bundled it off to oblivion.

Happy Nomad on October 30, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Oh, I get it now. This is not the StarWars you seek.

Bmore on October 30, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Gotta admit, some of the tweets ate cracking me up …..
………….

Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem performing at the Cantina on Tatooine.

Does this mean Leia is now, officially, a Disney Princess?

Does this mean Kermit and Yoda will duet it ain’t easy being green???

Chewbacca with Fozzie doing stand up. You better laugh!

The Swedish Chef and Jar Jar Binks make-a de shrimpy gumbo

Phineas and Ferb In Star Wars 7? One Epic Summer Vacation!

Also we’ll finally settle that Yoda-Stitch “Whose ears are bigger” argument once and for all.

pambi on October 30, 2012 at 6:44 PM

All singing, all dancing, all Jar-Jar.

Bouncing Beatnik on October 30, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I’m a Star Trek guy. Always have been. That said, I can’t tell you how much of a sellout this is on Lucas’ part. Another Obama Hollywood guy cashed in.

victor82 on October 30, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Pixar is a terrible idea AP. Their focus-group-derived “humor by committee” style of making movie plots results in utter trash. There is nothing commendable about spending hundreds of hours animating some lazily-designed (pixar’s been using the uncanny valley excuse for why their style is so hideous for about 15 years now) characters dancing and singing in tune with the lowest brow teeny-bopper pop music of 3 years ago. Dreck.

That said, I don’t understand the appeal of the whole StarWars franchise. The setting/background is cool I guess but the acting has been godawful since the very beginning and the specific plots are just stupid. Luke mastering the force over a long weekend while it took Anakin like 20 years, Jar Jar and the gungans beating tanks with water balloons, stuffed animals beating an army with ropes… come on. Most overrated franchise EVA.

Daikokuco on October 30, 2012 at 6:45 PM

While I’m not crazy about the idea of new Star Wars films, this is a brilliant move for Disney. They get the rights to all the old films, the Indiana Jones films, the related merchandising, and they now own the Lucasfilms special effects companies. Really smart move for Disney.

Publius24 on October 30, 2012 at 6:45 PM

“Star Wars: Episode 7″ set for 2015. . Americans have a more urgent problem, which is defeating the evil dictatorial GALACTIC EMPIRE that has taken over and is destroying our country. November 6 is our final offensive against Emperor OBOZO and victory will lead to re-establishment of the GALACTIC / NEW REPUBLIC and freedom for all. The Jedi Knights (aka, “conservatives” ) will then restore the US Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the Rule of Law in our country and banish the leftist extremists forever, with Emperor OBOZO confined to his new, multi-million dollar estate in the Hawaiian Islands – far from the mainland.

TeaPartyNation on October 30, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Cameron backed out of the AvatarLand, He and the Disney Imaginers did not get along, so Cameron walked away. I think this deal Kills AvatarLand and Disney will Build A Star Wars theme Park and Hotels

Patricksp on October 30, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I didn’t mind the first three, but those prequels were unbearable. the fact that Lucas is such a scumbag to boot, was more than I could bare and made it impossible to give them an unbiased look. Disney is well, disliked among it’s employees for their abusive treatment of their employees, so I can only give them a rousing, I couldn’t care less!
Addendum on the fight with the Obama Enemy media: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 30, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I agree. I think he played Anakin exactly as Lucas intended.

gwelf on October 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM

+1.

If you watch the documentaries (or more entertainingly, the Red Letter Media cuts of the documentaries), you see Lucas more or less instructing Christensen exactly how to say and do exactly what’s said and done on screen.

The actors may be good or bad, but there’s no way to credibly tell. There isn’t a human being on earth who could make those lines or stage directions resonate.

HitNRun on October 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Finally the homoerotic Boba Fett/Han Solo backstory will make it to the big screen. Excitement++!

Jeddite on October 30, 2012 at 6:50 PM

My question still remains. Does anyone really care?

Bmore on October 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I have zero expectation that the queers that rule Mauschwitz can produce a decent Star Wars film. Particularly with Lucas’ hackneyed notes and creative inputs. The trend lines are clear, the evidence the overwrought nature of Eps1-3. The necessity of hitting all the marks of green screen and stilted dialogue / emotion robbing the films of any soul whatsoever.
Ther is plenty of material already written for stories forward in time, in the novels, but no grand arc per se. Disney could certainly mine that future for all sorts of standalone movies in that rich well worn universe. Heck they could easily milk a couple Wraith Squadron movies out of it.

rayra on October 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM

It’s not even the material. Lucas is a horrible, horrible director. He can coax horrid performances out of the best actors. It’s no coincidence that of the original three films which are widely revered, only one was directed by Lucas.

Shump on October 30, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I can’t wait for the Princess Leia/Ewok off-spring.

SouthernGent on October 30, 2012 at 6:56 PM

YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomas on October 30, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Disney has enough sense to not let Lucas direct, so it’ll by default be better than the prequels.

kuro_shogun on October 30, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Disney screwing things up is not the problem, the problem is Disney allowing Lucas to screw things up. In fact Disney might be the only force left on this earth who can match Lucus in a battle of the egos…and thus save Lucas from Lucas.

Here is idea for a movie…”Vader”. All the Star Wars nerds really wanted to see from the prequels was Darth Vader on the rampage…they never got it and thus the massive letdown. It is time to give the groupies what they want. In fact just completely redo the prequels by giving them the Vader trilogy! Three movies of Vader terrorizing the universe, with the ending of “Vader III” dropping the bombshell that in fact the first three prequel Star Wars movies were in fact just a stupid dream in Darth Vader’s mind!

Now that would be ending, and would thus save the entire franchise. Jar Jar was just a bad dream….

William Eaton on October 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Make the Epcot the DeathStar, and start a Star Wars cruise line, with all the staff wearing the Empire garb.

portlandon on October 30, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Yeah. Hayden is a horrible actor.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Mickey Mouse replacing Jar Jar in Star Wars I would have been an improvement…

William Eaton on October 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM

This is some rescue.

No, seriously, this is a rescue. I have very high hopes. I mean, seriously, could it be worse? This is going to be a good week in ways I ever even imagined.

Javahog on October 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I’ll helpfully volunteer that I won’t be seeing any of them. I wouldn’t watch those movies with your eyes.

Bishop on October 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Back in the late 90s when I was in middle school, I really enjoyed the expanded universe books. I bet these new movies will contradict those storylines which ruins everything forever.

DavidW on October 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM

The Death Star will be in range of DC Comics in 30 minutes.

Oil Can on October 30, 2012 at 7:13 PM

As long as they don’t put another Natalie portman in a strategically torn shirt with skin tight pants for the prepubescent Lolita schtick this time around, I’m fine with it.

Believe it or not, some men are actually attracted to women and not little girls, Hollywood.

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 7:13 PM

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Huh? So your saying Natalie Portman is not woman but a little girl? Dude Natalie Portman is in her 30s.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 7:16 PM