Er, “good” news: Disney to buy Lucasfilm, produce new “Star Wars” movie by 2015; Update: I have story treatments for three more episodes, says Lucas

posted at 4:56 pm on October 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

I expected to spend my shift today blogging about a disaster. I was right.

No, seriously, though, this is worth it if only for the material it’ll generate for the Red Letter Media guy.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments…

“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”…

Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

Romney’s poll surge in October has suppressed my eeyore immune system and left me dangerously vulnerable to optimism, so let me take it to critical condition by co-signing this Lileks tweet:

Yeah, even after the prequels, I don’t think it’s a matter of “Star Wars” being irredeemable. It’s Lucas who’s irredeemable, and Lucas is now stepping back and handing over the keys. That’s … good, no? Disney being Disney, the danger that they’ll go full Jar Jar is clear and present, but “Star Wars” fans will spend the next three years screechily drumming it into their skulls not to do that. Given how universally loathed the prequels are, I expect Disney will want to make a statement by resurrecting the series with something much different, and better, than what came before. Nolan’s Batman series will hopefully/probably be a model for stripping away the grotesque excesses and getting back to the spirit that made the originals compelling. But I don’t know, maybe I’m giving them too much credit. Ben Domenech just tweeted a photo from this series and now I wonder if even Plinkett can save this.

Exit advice for Robert Iger and Kathleen Kennedy, on behalf of everyone everywhere: Put the Pixar people in charge.

Update: The first thing I thought of when I heard the news. Click the image to watch.

Update: Plinkett is on red alert.

Update: Lucas helpfully volunteers that he has story treatments prepared for not one, not two, but three more episodes, which I guess means there’s enough “magic” left in the prequel bottle to get us through Episode IX.

Dude, it’s game over.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Im thinking seriously about producing the next 15 “Rocky” films, myself. ;)

kcd on October 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Jeez, Disney owns very thing now.

Will the Jedi have claws that come out of their hands?

Luke Skywalker, Iron Man, and Mickey Mouse walk into a bar…

Oil Can on October 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Lucas is not directing, so this might actually be good.

portlandon on October 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Lucasfilm joins the dark side!

DamnCat on October 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Another Star Wars movie is like making Friday the 13th, Part LV: Jason Goes On A Real Date With a Hollywood Necrophiliac Lesbian.

Liam on October 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Totally out of left field. I was stunned when I saw this news. It’s huge for one reason only. Disney now controls Star Wars which means we can FINALLY get the original unaltered Holy Trilogy on Blu-ray(or 4K if they wait long enough)!

I honestly don’t give a crap about the new movies. They could turn out well and Mark Hamill is still alive and kicking if they want to set them in the decades after Jedi, but just give me the original original trilogy in HD.

(BTW, Disney now owns Indiana Jones as well. Don’t be surprised if they reboot that series.)

Doughboy on October 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Good Gaia, another waste of film; this is getting worse than the never-ending “Rocky” series or the fact that Arnie is going to do another “Conan”. Just stop already.

Bishop on October 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

$4 billon? Sweet, sweet capitalism. As far as the upcoming films go, the film in 2015 will make or break this investment. Big-time pressure here to get it right…

joejm65 on October 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Unfortunately, Lucas and his hired writers have done irreparable damage to Star Wars as a resonant property over the last two decades.

If Disney were inclined to throw “canon” in a filing cabinet and just make good films based on the last three good films, the franchise could be redeemed, but given the money and emotion invested in all the ascendant nonsense in that universe that’s unlikely to happen.

HitNRun on October 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Never liked Star Wars, but I doubt Disney would muck it up any more than Lucas himself did.

changer1701 on October 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

This!

D-fusit on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

It’s not like the original trilogy can be desecrated any worse than what was done to it by the prequels.

Btw, why no Walking Dead talkback yet this season, AP? Sunday’s episode was boss.

Kataklysmic on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I guess Luke Skywalker will get a cameo in the next Kingdom Hearts game.

KingGold on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Will the Jedi have claws that come out of their hands?

No. They will be wearing tutu’s.

kcd on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

There were seven films in the Police Academy franchise. Seems like Star Wars should at least have as many. Just sayin’

Happy Nomad on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Wait, the whole story has already been told.

Now, if we’re in for some Star Wars T&A……

BobMbx on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I know I’m revealing myself as a hopeless star wars nerd, but if they were to make episodes 7-9 based off the Thrawn Trilogy, they could be very, very good.

Othniel on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Liam on October 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM

LMFAO!!!!

kcd on October 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM

HitNRun on October 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I was going to do a “thing” by implying the the last three good films were the first three films, but I forgot on account of imbibing too much Jack to weather this hurricane.

HitNRun on October 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I just find out Zombies are getting Twilight-icized. Seriously, I give up on pop culture.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Does Disney own Indiana Jones also? Since Lucus tried to kill that one also.

It was Mr. Plinkett. The power of those spooful drove him over the edge.

Oil Can on October 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

and Lucas is now stepping back and handing over the keys. That’s … good, no?

Oh my yes. The guy got so consumed by the special effects in I-III, he forget how to tell a good story.

WisRich on October 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

If they did an animate series of the Thrawn Trilogy, it could be rockin awesome especially without Lucas meddling in it.

Imrahil on October 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Great, except they’ll probably ruin by having Obama cameo as a Jedi since it looks like he’ll have some time on his hands.

gsherin on October 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Definitely: Pixar is Star Wars’ only hope.

blue13326 on October 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

“with George Lucas serving as creative consultant.”

Nope. It will be just as bad…

Tremor on October 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

It’s a steal. Residuals, merch, ILM, Skywalker Sound.

Karl on October 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Disney gave us Avengers. Could be good.

Rose on October 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM

HitNRun on October 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

True, but if they make Episodes VII-IX as sequels to just the Holy Trilogy and ignore the prequels(i.e. NO HAYDEN GHOST CAMEO!!!), they could turn out great and be embraced by the fanboys.

Doughboy on October 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Kataklysmic on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I missed it:( Does anyone know where I can watch it online?

kcd on October 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Imrahil on October 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

The animation stuff doesn’t really interest me much. What’s the draw?

Othniel on October 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Yes, or get a certified fan-boy (or girl) with excellent directing chops. Joss Whedon himself has described the original Firefly as having its origins being a backlash against Lucas tinkering with the original Star Wars trilogy, the “Special Editions.” In one of the episode commentaries, he describes Malcolm Reynolds as a a type of guy that “shoots first.”

Jurisprudence on October 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Skynet Disney went online at 5:18 pm Eastern Time on October 30th, 2012.

portlandon on October 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Disney bought Marvel Comics too..the empire is growing even more

sadsushi on October 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM

don’t forget disney bought out marvel a few years ago and have been very successful with iron man, avengers, thor, etc. put those guys in charge and you might just have a shot.

but given the star wars prequels, it couldn’t be any worse than those, right?… right?!

kastor on October 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Excellent, finally a new Star Wars movie… I would love a new three parts sequel to be about the Old Republic and the origins of the Sith and the Jedi…

mnjg on October 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM

“with George Lucas serving as creative consultant.”

Nope. It will be just as bad…

Tremor on October 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Don’t sweat it. After Star Dreck: The Motionless Picture, Gene Roddenberry was demoted by Paramount to “creative consultant” which essentially meant he had zero input on the sequel. And look how great Wrath of Khan turned out.

Doughboy on October 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM

let’s see

calling all script writers, calling all script writers

in dire need of a plot!

Jar Jar Binks is available for hire

audiotom on October 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM

If they “buy” George Lucas and send him off to retirement, and he has nothing to do with the project, then I say:

DO IT

Greek Fire on October 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Lucas is great at coming up with the story. Horrible at writing the script.

Hopefully this bodes well for the quality of the franchise.

gwelf on October 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Actually I enjoyed the novels that continued the Star Wars universe. Hans and Leia have twins, and we know that’ll play right into Disney’s wheelhouse (the precocious little jedi powered ragamuffins).

It could be worse. Lucas could maintain creative control. Say what you will about Disney, they haven’t crapped on too many of their properties. They understand value and how to tell a story.

So when will we see The Black Hole II? Just kidding….

CitizenEgg on October 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Doughboy on October 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Don’t be surprised if they figure out a way to make a cross-over project where the Star Wars people go into the future to romp around with Indy and the gang. Think of it as Star Trek IV without the whales. Think of what they could get in promotional consideration for that combination!

Seriously, Does “the mouse” see this deal as something to further the franchise (the words Lucas was using) or is this just a cash cow they intend to milk til the cow is dry? Hard to tell.

Happy Nomad on October 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I always thought the prequels didn’t have enough cutesy, unfunny slapstick aimed at 3yr olds.

Handing the franchise over to Disney will surely fix that problem.

mudskipper on October 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM

What’s wrong with more Star Wars?

I think it’s borderline Un-American to wish for Star Wars to stay buried forever!

HondaV65 on October 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Othniel on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

No kidding, those books were great.

ShadowsPawn on October 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Amazing how Hollywood hard-core Leftists keep trying to make more money by rehashing old overdone ideas twenty years after the their big hits?

Maybe all those oversize fancy donations to Obama bit them in the wallet.

And who will they cast in starring roles–other Hollywood Lefties we won’t pay to see in thew first place?

Liam on October 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Handing the franchise over to Disney will surely fix that problem.

mudskipper on October 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM

You talking about the characters on the screen or the Disney executives making the editorial decisions?

Happy Nomad on October 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Although John Carter didn’t do well at the movies (bad advertising on Disney’s part), the movie itself is really very good. I’m pretty happy with Disney’s other shows, so who knows, this might be a good thing for Star Wars.

ShadowsPawn on October 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Featuring the ultimate conflict:
Scrooge McDuck vs. the Beagle Boys.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Maybe they’ll have to sell ABC (to Murdock) to help pay off this mistake.

TXUS on October 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

joejm65 on October 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

The prequels made a boat load of money. Even if Lucas were not to retire and make another trilogy it would also make a boat load of money. Star Wars fans are drawn to it like a moth to flame.

gwelf on October 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Doughboy on October 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Wouldn’t be awesome if Disney just hit the delete button to episodes 1 through III. Make episodes 7,8,9…then re-do the prequels with a real story.

Pixar you are our only hope.

Oil Can on October 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I really fail to see how they have a storyline that goes past Return of the Jedi. RotJ seemed like an ending to series, Vader and the Emperor were killed, what more could they possibly do?

midgeorgian on October 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Meh, Star Wars was always crappy and not just since the prequels. Do I have to understand why adult men get hysterical over this?

Valkyriepundit on October 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Kataklysmic on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I missed it:( Does anyone know where I can watch it online?

kcd on October 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Try the network’s homepage. Normally, too, on Sunday, they show last week’s episode followed by the new one.

Liam on October 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Othniel on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

No kidding, those books were great.

ShadowsPawn on October 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Agreed, but I’d prefer they stay away from the Star Wars novels.

In the nerd continuum, all of those books have equal weight, and most of them are really bad. So if they wanted to just say “yeah, none of that happened, —- the expanded universe,” I’d be fine with it.

HitNRun on October 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Maybe we will get a decent actor this time instead of the incredibly awful Christopher Hayden.

Fun News Tip: Jonathon Brandis would have been the other pick if the role didn’t go to Christopher Hayden.

Brandis even LOOKED like a Skywalker.

Lost the role and then years later hanged himself.

But, enough of that. Here’s to more YODA-isms.

Varchild on October 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM

The former is bad enough, but the latter is downright frightening.

Dusty on October 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I’ve never forgiven Disney for what it did to Winnie the Pooh.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on October 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Actually, Epicot center does look like the Death Star.

Disney Star Wars cruise lines

Oil Can on October 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Christien on October 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM

What’s wrong with more Star Wars?

HondaV65 on October 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I guess it’s that one time of year where I agree with HondaV65.

gwelf on October 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Speaking of reprising Jar Jar Binks, Biden will be out of a job in time for filming the first one.

TXUS on October 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Er, “good” news: Disney to buy Lucasfilm, produce new “Star Wars” movie by 2015

…America is right now busy trying to destroy the current, real EVIL EMPIRE in DC to have time to think about yet another crass hollyweird effort to make even more money.

TeaPartyNation on October 30, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Star Wars was one of the lamest movie series I’ve ever seen. It just seemed kitschy.

Mimzey on October 30, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Lucas should have let someone else finish the prequels after the disaster that was the Phantom Menace.

midgeorgian on October 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM

TXUS on October 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Perhaps they’ll have a short film that appears ahead of the EPISODE 7 movie showing JAR JAR BINKS casting the deciding vote for Barack Obama for President.

Nooooo!!!! The Hoar!!!! Stupid Jar Jar!!!

Varchild on October 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Great a Mickey Jedi

Conservative4ev on October 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I’ve seen Hayden Christensen in other movies. He’s actually a decent actor. It’s hard to act when you are working with horrible material.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Mimzey on October 30, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I’ll believe in a Star Trek phaser before I’ll buy into the idea of a light saber.

Liam on October 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM

This is not the cheese you are looking for

Conservative4ev on October 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Oops crap:-( I uhm meant to type HORROR….My apologies.

I type and click without thinking sometimes.

Varchild on October 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM

NumbersMuncher ‏@NumbersMuncher

Romney takes a one point lead in the WaPo/ABC tracking poll, 49-48. Romney up 7 w/independents. Sample is D+5 (was D+7 in 08, even in 04/10)

Resist We Much on October 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Disney will muck it up. The Pixar people laid off a big chunk of their crew lately.

I missed it:( Does anyone know where I can watch it online?

kcd on October 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Amazon

dogsoldier on October 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Next?

Ugly on October 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I agree. I think he played Anakin exactly as Lucas intended.

gwelf on October 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM

UNCLE! GREEDO SHOT FIRST!

Christien on October 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM
I agree. I think he played Anakin exactly as Lucas intended.

gwelf on October 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Oh yes cause it was so INTENDED to have a DEAD PAN Anakin as a Teenager….when he was a hyperactive kid just a few years before….

So WONDERFUL!!!! Awesome!!!!

give me a break. It ruined the final 2 films for me to have to sit through a pathetic dead pan performance.

Varchild on October 30, 2012 at 5:23 PM

gwelf on October 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I thought Hayden was great in Shattered Glass. I also think Natalie Portman is a decent actress (not great but decent) and she was awful in Star Wars.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Christopher Hayden was ANAKIN on PROZAK.

Varchild on October 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Looks like Disney is hedging their bet. Wise decision, but I wonder if they took into consideration the growing likelihood of a repeal of the Hollywood tax cuts?

Dusty on October 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Dusty on October 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Liberal Hollywood has been offshoring movie making for years now.

gwelf on October 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I’m still waiting on a sequel to Old Yeller. I was a kid when Star Wars came out and after the first one interest I lost.

DanMan on October 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Not that Disney is perfect but george lucas can’t live forever. he has adopted children. inheritance taxes may play into this.

also if you want your legacy to live on what better company than Disney.

gerrym51 on October 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Liam on October 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Thanks Liam!

kcd on October 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM

hyperactive kid just a few years before….

So WONDERFUL!!!! Awesome!!!!

Varchild on October 30, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I’m sorry but an A+ performance by the best actor in the world couldn’t save those films. The material reeked. Face it.

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Many of us have waited most of our lives just for a chance to see the Star Wars Christmas Special just once.

Now, we may have a chance to OWN it. Or perhaps see it in heavy rotation on the Disney Channel.

Who cares who wins the election – this is fantastic news.

connertown on October 30, 2012 at 5:27 PM

NumbersMuncher ‏@NumbersMuncher

New Quinnipiac polls for OH and VA tomorrow. Just a reminder they have had the BEST Ohio polls for O and close to best in VA for O all year.

Resist We Much on October 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

This means the dreaded JAR JAR BANKS will again plague the big screen.

Urgh.

patman77 on October 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

So WONDERFUL!!!! Awesome!!!!

Varchild on October 30, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Deadpan? I thought he was moody and whiny and petulant (in other words a teenager).

But I’ve heard others say he was wooden so I don’t doubt I’m in the minority.

gwelf on October 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

As long as these idiots remember: HAN SHOT FIRST!

Intrepid767 on October 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Let’s see…getting this out of the hands who put aliens in an Indiana Jones movie…good idea.

Best Star Wars movie was Empire Strikes Back which Lucas did not direct.

He’s been wildly successful and now he can drift off into the sunset and the force can again flow through the Star Wars universe.

AP, should we put you on suicide watch…

johnnybgood on October 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM

He was great in Shattered Glass.

Kataklysmic on October 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM

George,

Now, you’re getting nasty.

Indy

Christien on October 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Othniel on October 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

This, please. The only problem is that Lucas rewrote the “history” of the Clone Wars for the prequel trilogy, which messes with a good bit of the story.

sadarj on October 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM

What the heII is StarWars?

Bmore on October 30, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Weren’t 6 Star Wars movies enough? IMHO, there’s not much to add to this–if they want something later in Star Wars “history”, the actors from the original 1970s movies are too old or dead, and if they want some “middle” between the prequels and the original, what would the story line be?

If Disney wants to sink money into a series of movies, let them try to rescue the Narnia series. Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe was great; Prince Caspian was decent, but they really made a mess of great material in Dawn Treader.

Steve Z on October 30, 2012 at 5:31 PM

More importantly, Bishop, is this you being some one else? akaniku

Bmore on October 30, 2012 at 5:32 PM

It will give the redlettermedia guy plenty of material for years to come.

tom daschle concerned on October 30, 2012 at 5:33 PM