A Romney vote means rich, white San Franciscans can’t exercise in their home gyms

posted at 3:31 pm on October 30, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

This was in headlines, but I just can’t leave it alone. It’s too good. First the photo of the day, accompanying this San Francisco Chronicle piece, “Dems nervous, GOP upbeat as vote nears.”

Exercise

Photo credit: Liz Hafalia, The Chronicle

Get this: the presidential race is so close that rich, white San Franciscans are having trouble exercising in their home gyms or getting proper sleep at night. Take, for instance, the story of Obama campaign volunteer Kay Edelman:

For the past several weeks, the 60-year-old San Francisco resident has frequently bolted awake in the middle of the night, in “a panic attack,” she said. She darts for her computer and checks the latest polls. Some days she’s so distraught that she can’t exercise.

Every morning, she gets e-mails from friends who’ve been just as sleepless. Most are so tense, they can croak out only a few words. “Very anxious.” “Worried.”

“Nothing more needs to be said,” said Edelman, a retired educational administrator.

Actual quote from a man who didn’t sleep for two nights after the Denver debate:

“After I read Nate Silver the other day, I felt better,” Blume said.

And, there’s this scene from a San Francisco dinner party the night of that fateful debate performance:

Edelman hosted a bunch of friends to watch the debate over dinner. But after the first five minutes unfolded, nobody ate. Few spoke. “And right after it ended, everybody just got up and left,” she said.

Romney Derangement Syndrome is kicking in even before he’s elected.

I’m certainly not immune to worry over the election or the fate of the country, but let me pose a question for stressed-out liberals. Why do you continue to vote to make the federal government and the leaders at its helm an ever-more present and powerful part of every part of our lives when you know there’s a chance every four years a guy you won’t like will be at the helm? If it’s going to stress you out this much who has the levers of power, perhaps you should work toward making the levers less powerful?

And, say, Edelman and her friends look pretty comfortable. Shouldn’t President Obama be busy afflicting them?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Not only are these narcissistic individuals stupid, they are totally pathetic! And they want sympathy???? Disgusting. I thought Obama was the candidate for the common man….guess not, only the 1 percenters support this corrupt, lying, inept thug.

phoebe1 on October 30, 2012 at 5:27 PM

NumbersMuncher ‏@NumbersMuncher

New Quinnipiac polls for OH and VA tomorrow. Just a reminder they have had the BEST Ohio polls for O and close to best in VA for O all year.

Resist We Much on October 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Ironically, California is a great place for software engineers. Some of them are starting over 100k and with experience you could easily pull 140-160k out here.

And the weather’s nice too…you just have to tolerate a population that exhibits blind faith and trust in their overlords.

hisfrogness on October 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Yeah, but I don’t just look at pay. If I did that, I would have taken the very first job that a recruiter contacted me about once I was out here in Missouri. Of course once you actually get a job, you get non-stop calls from recruiters.

I was contacted about a job that paid $90,000 which at the time was double what I was making in 2009/2010, however after looking up the job and figuring out the cost of living it wouldn’t have increased my disposable income one bit because it was in a Maryland DC suburb.

The cost of living here in St. Louis is one of the lowest in the country for large metros so I doubt anything on the West Coast would even boost my standard of living. Heck I was even recruited by Amazon, but I decided not to pursue it.

MobileVideoEngineer on October 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Mary Katherine, you should see all the nanny-laws the San Francisco Board of Supervisors Petty Dictators passes each year. The Loons of ‘Frisco love to be told what to do, how to do it, when to do it.

GarandFan on October 30, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Hurricane Sandy has made this election more difficult to win for Romney. Our best option at this point would be to re-elect Obama so we can impeach him.

/sarc

xblade on October 30, 2012 at 5:35 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on October 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Yeah, I understand. I was almost offered a position in NC and seeing what my salary could afford out there, house-wise, it was a no brainer. But it never happened.

hisfrogness on October 30, 2012 at 5:36 PM

frequently bolted awake in the middle of the night, in “a panic attack,”

…sleepless…
very anxious…nervous…

better that they are worried about stupid polls and not feeling that way because they are worried about their job.

So frivolous these liberals be.

Fleuries on October 30, 2012 at 5:38 PM

As a center-right undecided, I would say that the prospect of a “President” Mitt Willard Romney is something I wouldn’t wish on on anybody. Romney will usher in a new era of disrespect for the poor and the downtrodden including domesticated animals such as dogs, the gay, the religious, the creative, and the young.

Our next four years would become a purpetual Quinton Tarantino pulp-horror starrring Michael Vick and the guy Bane from the new batman movie.

akaniku on October 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! LOL! Center-right? From your previous comments, I know that is a flat out lie. I see you single out domesticated dogs, to allow for the fact that the current POS President ATE a dog.

Night Owl on October 30, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Who’s crying now.

(you know where the link’s going before you click on it, dontcha’?)

listens2glenn on October 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Nobody kno de trouble dat I see. Nobody Know but Barry…Swing lo’ sweet limosine com’n fo to carry him bak to da White House…Nobody kno but Barry.

I can’t go on…it’s too painful.

bluesdoc70 on October 30, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I have a special song for Ms Edelman and her ilk:

Sunday Wednesday is gloomy, my hours are slumberless.
Obama, the shadows I live with are numberless.
All over the country voters have forsaken you,
Soon to Hawaii Air Force One will be takin’ you.
My fat union pension is no longer supporting me.
Is it poetic justice if I think of aborting me?
GloomySunday Wednesday.

Gloomy is Sunday Wednesday; with shadows I spend it all.
My leftie heart has decided to end it all.
Soon there’ll be candles and prayers that are sad, I know.
Death is no dream, for in death I’m caressing you.
With my last breath, Obama, I’ll be blessing you.
Gloomy Sunday Wednesday.

Mary in LA on October 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

hisfrogness on October 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM

That was in back in the ’90s. Not now. Salaries you mention are few and far in between these days. Much easier to hire a bunch of $30K-40K Asian imports on H1B. I got disgusted a while ago and left IT back in early 2005. Back to IT now that I don’t have to work with these “Programming for Dummies” graduates.

Bay Area is a bastion of rabid communists with some sprinkling of conservatives. Problem is that while they all support “equity” and “benefits” for all, to them it means THEY KEEP their money while making sure to tell you how to spend yours. They are the 1% who refuse to admit they are. Not only delusional about themselves, but about the world around them as well.

We moved out early this year, I just dread the day they start moving to other states en masse once crap and trade law they passed a while back kicks in on January 1. They will take their communist BS to to other states as companies run for cover from extra taxes on top of already high taxes.

riddick on October 30, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Even people who don’t live here have heard of the devastating effects the environmental movement has had on the central areas. The only Californians that are happy with the status quo here live within 15 miles of the beach or are public servants….or are welfare recipients.

These policies are devastating our economy

You don’t seem to actually know much about the state. San Francisco and China Basin are undergoing an urban building and construction boom unlike anything in the USA. It reminds me of Shanghai. My friends who flew into SF for a World Series game were shocked to discover downtown and SOMA office rents skyrocketing. The digital and knowledge sectors of the economy, including biotech and internet, are on fire. The US isn’t having any trouble competing in the global economy for those with the right education and experience.

Unfortunately, that doesn’t guarantee employment for the rest of the population, and there are still a lot of people hurting from the impact of globalization and all the jobs lost, both blue and white collar, over the past 2 decades.

bayam on October 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM

As a center-right undecided

akaniku on October 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

You’re not very good at this…

Del Dolemonte on October 30, 2012 at 6:00 PM

So Mary, are you concerned about White people who are rich, or rich people who are White?

Observation on October 30, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Have some sourdough and you’ll be fine

poljunkie51 on October 30, 2012 at 6:04 PM

aaaww…..poooor baaaby!!!!

itsspideyman on October 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM

bayam on October 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Obama Apologist Extraordinaire.

CW on October 30, 2012 at 6:11 PM

This is really pretty funny. The unleveled pictures of obama. The inkjet printed photo of her leader being affixed onto a window. The obama t shirt. The look of depression and the realization of defeat. Oh how humanity will lose out when obama is gone.

Philo Beddoe on October 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Cultish.

Del Dolemonte on October 30, 2012 at 6:12 PM

As someone else said, Silver was laughably wrong in 2010. He got popular after 2008 because of that 49 state thing, but so friggin’ what? Anyone with a room-temperature political IQ could have correctly guessed at least 45 of the 50 (plus D.C.) What he did in 2008 really fails to impress; there were just not that many close states that presidential election.

One of the better benefits of this election is that if Romney wins, no one will take Silver seriously anymore.

TheDriver on October 30, 2012 at 6:12 PM

bayam on October 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Yeah, there’s a place to compare SF to! Horrible air pollution, with the lung cancer rate of the residents increasing by 60% over the past 10 years…

Del Dolemonte on October 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM

My hypothesis is that the SF Democrats’ personal agenda is to use government to suppress competition to their status, everything else (environmentalism, social justice, et al) is just rationalization. This comes out of their narcissism and insecurity.

Obama has been doing very well for them.

LarryD on October 30, 2012 at 6:21 PM

This is a real story about the left being terrified, there is no need for hand wringing on our side.

MobileVideoEngineer on October 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Whatever you do, don’t go over to Ricochet…they actually make you pay to comment on their handwringing.

Regarding Silver: HE DOES NOT MAKE PREDICTIONS!!!!
He gives odds based on his super secret formula. If he says Romney has a 1 out of 3 chance of winning the election and he does in fact win, oh well.

Note that he does not say that Romney will NOT win the election.

Mitsouko on October 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Another day, another poll showing Romney losing in OH…

NumbersMuncher ‏@NumbersMuncher
New SurveyUSA Ohio poll has Obama up 3, 48-45. Romney up 11 (!) w/ independents. Sample is D+6 (was D+5 in 08, D+1 in 2010).
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

gumbyandpokey on October 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

akaniku on October 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

gumby, you are a Liar, and you know why.

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM

And random number generator is back.

riddick on October 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Observation on October 30, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I see you have no sense of humor whatsoever. Figures! :-D

Mary in LA on October 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Another day, another poll showing Romney losing in OH…

NumbersMuncher ‏@NumbersMuncher
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

gumbyandpokey on October 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Yeah because if I were Obama and I was “winning” Ohio by 3 with a D+6 split when the “wave” election of 2008 was D+5 when I only won by 260,000 votes I would be estatic. /s

MobileVideoEngineer on October 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Hope ‘n Change in smoke

Schadenfreude on October 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM

NumbersMuncher ‏@NumbersMuncher

Resist We Much on October 30, 2012 at 6:45 PM

60 years old huh… She’s gonna need another face lift after Nov.6th…

RockyJ. on October 30, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Romney, my man, you’re stature grows for me everyday just for what you are doing to these idiotic libs alone. It is pure joy to watch on a daily basis. Proud you are the first candidate I have ever contributed to. Keep it up, sir.

msupertas on October 30, 2012 at 6:58 PM

As someone who argued vehemently in this forum on behalf of Newt Gingrich during the primary season, I just want to reassure all you cynics that I can’t wait to vote for Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan next week! And the straight Republican ticket. And I say that as an ardent Palinista, a Jacksonian, a former Reagan volunteer, a true conservative, a part-time birther, and a full-time San Franciscan.

I threw everything at Willard last spring, but nothing stuck. Not the Bain, not the La Jolla place, not the Mormon stuff, not the father born in Mexico, not the pro-choice dabbling, not the Romneycare legacy. . . the man is Teflon. Heh. When you’re running against Democrats, it’s good to be made out of Teflon. Now I’d crawl through 7 miles of broken Anchor Steam beer bottles to vote for Willard.

The Republican margin in the upcoming election will be huge. When Romney benefits from a 24-point swing among Independents to the Republicans compared to 2008, that’s like 8 more percentage points of people voting Republican. When you have a Democratic turnout of +8 in 2008 vanish and turn into an [expected] turnout of Republican +2 in 2012–much like 2004 or 2010–that’s another 5% of the voting public changing from Democrat to Republican.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Willard comfortably take upwards of 55% of the popular vote, and Obama wind up with a miserable 67 electoral votes (Hawaii, Delaware, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maryland, New York, DC, Vermont). Are Californians going to vote for the Prince of Darkness on November 6 when the election is already over at 8 PM Central?

Well, Nate Silver. . . do you feel lucky?

Emperor Norton on October 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Closing the Golden Gate and other bridges won’t do a bit of good. If these idiotic hippies can’t jump off a bridge, they’ll hold a “Heaven’s Gate” party in the woods.

Benedict Nelson on October 30, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Emperor Norton on October 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Emperor Norton!!! Squeeee! I’ve missed you! {{{{hugs Emperor Norton in a flying tackle}}}}

Mary in LA on October 30, 2012 at 7:13 PM

If you’re rich, (esp in CA) you don’t have a gym, you have a ‘pilates studio’

ElRonaldo on October 30, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Oh, hi, Mary in LA–it’s nice to see you again, too!

Emperor Norton on October 30, 2012 at 7:28 PM

gumbyandpokey on October 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAH…. I will be drinking your tears of sorrow and anguish on the evening of Nov. 6th they shall be like unto the nectar of the Gods, full of sweetness and joy to me.

You of course will be busy choking on Obama shit vomit.

SWalker on October 30, 2012 at 7:34 PM

SWalker on October 30, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Did you see the last CBS poll? Has 0 up 1 yet loses indys by 11.

wargamer6 on October 30, 2012 at 7:37 PM

All they have are the Giants, but that is not enought to make we ever want to visit there again.

KirknBurker on October 30, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Regarding Silver: HE DOES NOT MAKE PREDICTIONS!!!!

Note that he does not say that Romney will NOT win the election.

Mitsouko on October 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM

If that’s what he did, I’d have zero problem with the guy.

Just like I got no problem with Sam Wang, or Intrade.

But Silver goes beyond that. He uses his B-9 Robot to discount poll moves he doesn’t agree with.

And when the national polls move in a direction he doesn’t like, he focuses on the state polls, or vice versa.

If the guy showed Romney winning the popular, I’d give him a pass, but he refuses to even do that.

So his poll is literally a confidence game. He uses it to shift focus to keep prog confidence high.

When Sam Wang says the odds of a EV/PV are higher, and Silver can’t even agree with that, then he’s full of shite.

budfox on October 30, 2012 at 8:03 PM

If that’s what he did, I’d have zero problem with the guy.

Just like I got no problem with Sam Wang, or Intrade.

budfox on October 30, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Hey wait a minute, this sounds like what a certain troll does. Gumby is Nate Silver!!!

MobileVideoEngineer on October 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM

That is what happens when you become a minority in your own State or country, the majority takes over and you get screwed and blamed.

SWalker on October 30, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Let’s pray it doesn’t happen here in Texas. It’s in progress with all the people leaving Cali for our beloved Tejas.

Who is John Galt on October 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM

budfox on October 30, 2012 at 8:03 PM

What is a B9 robot?

Mitsouko on October 30, 2012 at 8:39 PM

You know the media is lying their collective a$$es off.

They cry Obama is still leading or neck and neck…

I call BULLS#!T…

He has LOST ground in every demographic group there is.

He Is LOSING. It is not going to be close..

The liar is going down…

All you Romney supporters get the hell out there and VOTE!

NOW!

RockyJ. on October 30, 2012 at 9:47 PM

16. I’m rooting for 8 years of President Ryan after 8 Years of President Romney.

Bob’s Kid on October 30, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Ryan/West 2020!

climbnjump on October 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Mary – What a great piece of wording there!

If I may take a gander at answering that rhetorical question…

It’s because they would rather install their king at the top for all time and eternity… so that the ignorants/unenlightened ‘imaginary god believing’ idiots can be properly forced to obey and follow the proper enlightened viewpoints of the current moment….

Those that live by the popular opinion and lack critical thinking skill are doomed to live their lives based upon what the next ‘expert’ tells them is the best thing…. and it’s a crazy wild ride.

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Bob’s Kid on October 30, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Ryan/West 2020!

I don’t know about that – I was thoroughly unimpressed by Paul Ryan in the VP debate… he let big mouth biden walk all over him – he failed to address and correct lies and spit out quick math figures that folks can easily digest… now in fairness that same affliction of being a doormat is seen in Romney so maybe he was told to let it all go…. but I would have to see way more from him in the future to be interesting in placing him at the highest position of this semi-free country.

glidingone on October 30, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I was born and raised in SF. Sadly, it has gone down the toilet, and I rarely go there anymore. What is so surprising about the comments on this article is that many of them are slamming Obama! Trust me, this is rare!! Sounds like many in the Bay Area are waking up. I saw the comments before I went to work this am, and it made my day!

Funny story, one of my friends was driving up highway 101 in San Rafael (Marin County) and saw an empty chair hanging over the soundwall. It has been there now for 2 days!! There are Romney/ Ryan signs around, but I’ve yet to see 1 Obama sign (and very few bumper stickers – especially compared to 2008)

So, just to set the record straight, we aren’t all loons in California!!

marinconservative on October 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM

60 years old and retired? Living in San Francisco????
How much is her retirement??? It’s bloody expensive up there.

Oh, that’s right…part of the teacher’s union whose pensions have helped drive CA into insolvency.

OccamsRazor on October 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Anyone else notice the author of the article? Joe Garofoli

Did Janeane finally have that surgery to complete the look?

TugboatPhil on October 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM

“Sometimes I get so discouraged I can hardly stand it, …”
Charlie Brown before seeing Dr. Lucy.

Hey, Kay, after Romney and Congress repeal OCare, you’ll be able to get all the counseling you need. It’ll only be 5 cents.We’ll be opening kiosks in the major shopping districts, kind of like the old photo-booths. You step in, put your nickel in the slot and sit back.
A voice then comes over speakers next to the video screen which has the face of Dr. Phil mouthing the words,
“Deal With IT!”

Thank you. Next

OkieDoc on October 30, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Bless their hearts, I wonder if they think The Won should be made king?

Cindy Munford on October 31, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I live in the South Bay Area so I am surrounded by morons like these. Although even by Bay Area standards, the San Francisco people are considered narcissistic idiots who are to be avoided. Once you learn to ignored them, things are OK though. I have thought many times about leaving the Bay Area but the truth of the matter is that thus far life has treated me well here. I have a good job, I get a sense that this is a true meritocracy and the weather is unlike anything you have seen. Once you get used to this weather, it’s hard to think about moving to Texas (where summers are ultra hot) or North Dakota (where winters are ultra cold). Although if zealots like those who spoke to the SF Chronicle try hard enough they’ll end up pushing me out of the state :D.

p_incorrect on October 31, 2012 at 1:12 AM

There are some that will make a religion out of just about anything and the saying that the left coast is the land of fruits and nuts is justified by this newsy item. I’ve a few friends that are just about this bad when it comes to auto racing and a few that are the same with football but this is the a first for allowing politics to be this important. Pro wrestling is a known joke but fun to watch.

mixplix on October 31, 2012 at 4:50 AM

Edelman, a retired educational administrator.

Sympathy for a retired-at-50 “educational administrator” who will live out a lavishly benefitted retirement that could be two decades or more longer than her working career supporting the infiltration of the schools? Not today. May Edelman gag on her angst. Along with the others who have made choices over their lives that resulted in a marginal personality like David Plouffe calling them bed-wetters. Advice to Edelman et al: for your own safety stay away from wealth-and-jobs-creating business districts and your cherished diverse neighborhoods on election night and for some days after that. See, we’re conservatives and we actually do care.

curved space on October 31, 2012 at 7:33 AM

TheDriver on October 30, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Yes. When I saw that it reminded me of playing those football pools that don’t use the point spreads. Just pick the winners. And you know that half the teams are coached by McCain, no upsets possible. If you can’t pick all but one you’re not paying attention.

curved space on October 31, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Dare I say, poor little socialist snowflakes, libingliving in such a cruel and unfeeling country. Go suck lemons fools.

ironked on October 31, 2012 at 8:31 AM

What horrors are next for these pretentious, self-aggrandizing twits? Will their normal weekly bowel movement cycle being interrupted because they are clenching so tightly, or perhaps they simply can’t eat their Macrobiotic dinner because of how misaligned their chakra is because of Romney.

PatriotPete on October 31, 2012 at 10:52 AM

This line from the interview is “priceless” and well worth thinking about until election day:

“If it’s going to stress you out this much who has the levers of power, perhaps you should work toward making the levers less powerful?”

This deliriumemena simple line highlights the basic problem we face – “Who’s going to tuck me in bed at night, I can’t do it myself”. If you are so dependent on government or someone else to take care of you, then you might as well just give up now and retire – because your vote does not count anyway.

But, if you are ready to take care of yourself or help a friend or neighbors who actually can not physically get to the polls on election day, then you are part of the “We the People” our forefathers were talking about when the authored the Constitution.

MSGTAS on October 31, 2012 at 11:00 AM