Obama’s campaign ends the only way it could: With a video featuring the “Hangover” cast

posted at 6:41 pm on October 29, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, via the Examiner, a half-hearted GOTV pitch from members of one unimaginative, overrated production on behalf of another. If you’re the sort of smart, serious, socially conscious college-aged progressive who can’t get motivated to vote without being asked by the cast of your favorite sub-Sandler-level lowbrow comedy, here you go. They don’t mention any specific candidate, but if, like Zach, you’ve come to realize that the Koch brothers’ political advocacy is “not freedom,” then the choice is clear.

Below that, since I’m already wasting a post on Hollywood Obama endorsements, a wry new entry from “Avengers” director Joss Whedon in the ageless genre of “the opposition’s victory will bring about the apocalypse” campaign propaganda. If you tweaked one or two lines, this would work almost as well as a satire of the relentless hyperbolic negativity of Obama’s campaign and its supporters circa 2012 as it does as a kidding-on-the-square attack on Romney.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Your not in a small minority, Cindy. The bottom has fallen out of the box office in film for that very reason, and TV has become nothing more than a vehicle to carry advertisement with just enough content to keep people sitting there through the commercials. Hence, all the ‘reality’ TV, and procedurals, which are, frankly, pure spectacle meant mostly for the young.

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I hope you stay safe, warm, and dry… and get some donuts, too, BlaxPac!

Let us know, from time to time, how you are so we don’t worry about you. :)

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 7:47 PM

LOL…I’m contemplating making Toll House cookies as a compromise.. :o)

Been working 2nd shift and between that and my commute home, I’ve only been able to post off and on recently…hopefully I can come back more, especially with the election closing in.

How have you been in your neck of the woods? Not on the coasts like me are ya?

BlaxPac on October 29, 2012 at 7:58 PM

BlaxPac on October 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM

LOL! Excellent suggestions! :)

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Isn’t that weird, it’s not like the world has stood still and nothing has happened. I liked “Car 54 Where Are You?” as much as the next kid but it wouldn’t even fly as a TV show today let alone a feature film. I am probably in a very small majority but I have trouble watching people on the small or big screen that appear to have no redeeming value.

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM

LOL, too late, Cindy

..and yes, I did see it, and it was okay, no worse than anything you’d see on HBO late night…which is pretty much HBO 24/7

BlaxPac on October 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

BlaxPac on October 29, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I’m fine, thanks for asking. I’m actually in the middle of the country, in Oklahoma, so I’m not having any problems at all.

I am worried about you, though, my friend, and I hope you’re careful and safe.

Cookies! I love Tollhouse cookies! Excellent choice.:)

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Ah, Oklahoma! Land of the Blue-Eyed Cherokees!….LMAO

I am worried about you, though, my friend, and I hope you’re careful and safe.

Naw, I’m okay – As usual, they over hype the storm by leaps and bounds, so at least on MY part of Massachusetts, the weather n rain has been bad, but no worse than anything I’ve lived through.

As long as the power doesn’t go out, especially since I haven’t replaced my UPS system yet, and I dislike running my rigs without one.

(My former home)NYC and NJ OTOH, outside of those close to Atlantic City seem to be acting as if this is a 1970′s disaster film…I mean we survived blackouts, riots, snowstorms, etc and now they’re getting their khakis all twisted over some piffle of a storm? How the mighty have fallen.

Cookies! I love Tollhouse cookies! Excellent choice.:)

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I will definitely have some extra JUST for you. Of course, ice cold milk to wash it down.

After that, THEN I’ll have dinner. Heheheheh

BlaxPac on October 29, 2012 at 8:14 PM

BlaxPac on October 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

LOL! I knew it had been made but I haven’t seen it.

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 8:17 PM

The maker of “Firefly” is an Obama fan? Seriously?

Count to 10 on October 29, 2012 at 7:17 PM

He’s actually a self-described “radical feminist”.

Seriously.

..but I don’t care, he’s still far and away the most talented writer in Hollywood at the moment.

spinach.chin on October 29, 2012 at 8:19 PM

BlaxPac on October 29, 2012 at 8:14 PM

LOL! Cookies and milk before dinner! You’re my kind of guy!

I’m glad you’re safe. Still, when you get the chance, it would be good to hear from you when the storm blows over.

YES! Those blue eyed Cherokees are always seen herding vast herds of crabs across the wind swept plains of Oklahoma!

What’s that song? “OOOOOKlahoma where the crabs come sweeping ‘cross the plains!” LOL!

I saw poll recently with Brown leading Elizabeth ‘Dances with crabs’ Warren by three. I hope he trounces her! :)

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 8:20 PM

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I am underwhelmed and I’m not even expecting it to be anything more than mindless escapism. I drive the Husband crazy because I won’t watch some of these shows. He loves “The Walking Dead” and “Breaking Bad”. I am sure the shows are well done but I can’t work up any interest in Zombies or meth maker/dealers.

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 8:21 PM

LOL! I knew it had been made but I haven’t seen it.

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 8:17 PM

It’s as cheesy as anything you can get on cable or from the bargain bin @ Wally World, but not overly so.

Put it this way: Considering the cast are pretty much B list character actors (including O’Donnell), it was way funner than other remakes with so called “A” Listers like this stinker right here.

BlaxPac on October 29, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 8:21 PM

That’s interesting. I can’t work up any enthusiasm for them, either!

Orson Wells had it right when he observed ‘.. we’re brutalizing the audience.’ He worried about what the effects would be on society and on film in the aftermath of all the graphic violence and sex and the heavy handed way in which these subjects are broached in the industry today. He was, again, ahead of his time, and a keen observer.

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Honestly, Cindy I watch both and “Walking Dead” isn’t that bad: Its a Zombie soap opera at best, and the pace can be slower than paint drying, but when it moves along it really moves. The gore and horror factor is actually quite mild compared to movies like Dawn of the Dead, etc.

And I qualify, I am NOT a zombie movie fan; never saw the appeal myself, but everyone has a taste for something.

OTOH, if you like a really engrossing story, “Breaking Bad” is AMAZING: even if you JUST see it for Bryan Cranston transformation into this character (Dad from Malcolm in the Middle) and where they take it…the writing is great, and frankly I can’t wait to download a lot of it for my library collection.

IMHO, it’s on the same level as “The Shield” which was one of my all-time favorite anti-hero shows and really Michael Chiklis will have you rooting for him, even when you see the stuff they pulled.

BlaxPac on October 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM

years ago i would of bought the movie The Campaign but not anymore..I’m done with Will Ferrell(except for the new anchorman movie) and i did buy the first 2 hangover movies but now i may decide to boycott the third one..in a perfect world these actors would just act and not spew their liberal garbage every other minute

sadsushi on October 29, 2012 at 8:42 PM

The only thing missing from the Joss Whedon video is a reservior tip at the top of his head.

CrustyB on October 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM

HotAirLib on October 29, 2012 at 6:57 PM

HotLips? …are you a maathafacqua?

KOOLAID2 on October 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM

BlaxPac on October 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I’ve watched a bit of “Breaking Bad” and I know that it is both well written and well acted. I should confess that I gave up serial TV when I was a young mom who answered the phone rudely when someone called during “Dallas”. I was very ashamed of myself. I do wish that there was someone on “Breaking Bad” that I could root for. Walter’s brother-in-law? Since I don’t watch he’s probably creepy in some fashion that I am unaware of. Walter started out sympathetic, now he’s just nuts.

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 9:04 PM

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I really would like to see a half way moral character. I just have to question a world where the “hero” is a serial killer. And the fact that they write these stories in such a way that these people are acceptable is just a touch creepy. Let’s all keep in mind that I’m old, so I expect people to think I just jumped out of a fruit cake. I think it has made us to forgiving of people who break the law on a less spectacular scale. People aren’t scared of God (because they don’t believe) or the law because they will get a slap on the wrist at most.

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 9:04 PM

It does take the anti-Hero memo to the next level though…”Dexter” was a lot like that in the beginning, lost a few steps for about a season or two, and it’s creeping back towards that original direction.

But with “BB” especially if you saw the first 2 seasons, you see this poor SOB struggle with the moral implications of what he’s going to do: he wants his family to not want for anything, but at the same time he’s being rather clinically detached to the end product of his labors.

Interestingly enough, the show doesn’t shy away from the obviously dangerous end results from the product he’s making: they don’t try to glamorize it as “cool”…but the focus is on how someone as straight and narrow as Walter finds himself willing to use whatever talents he has to provide for his family.

BlaxPac on October 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM

BlaxPac on October 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I know it is going to sound like I know a lot for someone who doesn’t watch, I think it is the Husband’s revenge for not watching it with him. He will turn it on in the bedroom for the second showing when I’m trying to sleep. Anyway, Walter should be financially secure now and I heard him say that he got pushed out of a start up in college that went on to be worth billions. What started out as a poor sick slob trying to take care of his family, is now a man who thinks he knows everything and won’t realize when he is well off. Since it is not the corporate world he is dealing with, he has gone from gaining financial security to putting everyone in real danger. I can’t rationalize it.

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Well the overall of the final season is that you see him slowly being corrupted by the power and money that the drug trade has weaned; especially after the protagonist from season 3-4 was finally…ahem, …removed from the equation.

LOL. Don’t feel too bad Cindy; I can only watch the show on a irregular basis…thankfully Vudu and Amazon Prime will allow me to catch up at my leisure as soon as I have a free weekend to sit with a big bowl of popcorn and veg, most likely when Election night is going on. :o)

The show is one of those that even if you watch every other episode, the storyline is enough to carry you through. BUT if you do want to watch it, try to get Hubby to spring for Season 1 at least, and give it a go.

BlaxPac on October 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM

The maker of “Firefly” is an Obama fan? Seriously?

Count to 10 on October 29, 2012 at 7:17 PM

This is so disappointing. He’s is clearly extraordinarily talented, but has blinded himself to the harsh reality of Obama’s policies. When you pass laws that adversely impact the economy-by increasing energy costs and unemployment, for example, it has a disproportionately greater negative impact on the poor.

If Obama is re-elected poverty will increase, not the other way around.

I guess literary talent doesn’t indicate an understanding of economics. Buffy was still my favorite series of all time, though. They clearly had the male cast members remove their shirts as the first step in the audition process. It made for great TV.

talkingpoints on October 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM

BlaxPac on October 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Like I said, it is well written and beautifully acted. I was actually quite please to see the young man who plays Jessie get an Emmy. These people are very believable. Maybe these folks should set a goal to write a story line about characters who the viewers would actually like to see succeed. Just a thought.

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I can`t believe Whedon made “The Avengers.”

ThePrez on October 29, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Why not?

Remember the London (?) scene where Loki says something like, “Humans want to be controlled” and everyone bowed down obediently?

He made not a single person there disagree with the premise. Not until another big government analog came in (iron man, captain america) and decide that the people were theirs to control.

Seriously, watch that movie. It was like 2 sides fighting over who gets to control your life.

lorien1973 on October 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Did we watch the same movie? They are somewhere in Germany. Yes, they kneel, but one older man gets up, says he’s seen men like Loki before and then just as Loki is about to kill the man Captain America jumps in.

Awesome scene. You sure you have the right movie?

kim roy on October 29, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Malcolm Reynolds would shoot his creator.

SDN on October 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM

When you watch how brainless these are and add it to the lose your virginity ad you can see why nothing really matters to these clowns except liberalism. They can’t even make a case for Obama.

Conan on October 29, 2012 at 11:47 PM

The one cool guy from Hangover is not in the ad.

And I rather prefer zombies like Mitt to the giant parasitic worm we have in the White House …

Zombie Mitt: cool.

Giant parasitic worm Obamna: icky.

Sherman1864 on October 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Malcolm Reynolds would shoot his creator.

SDN on October 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Sadly, Nathan Fillion is also a hard core Lefty. A couple of weeks ago he referred to Romney as “a slimy, lying toolbag” online.

I still admire Browncoats; but I no longer have any urge to see productions either by Whedon or starring Fillion. And I am now glad that this season of Castle has been going downhill. I hope for a cancelation.

Subotai Bahadur

Subotai Bahadur on October 30, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Whedon is just confusing. The guy who made Firefly wants big government?
WitchDoctor on October 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Whedon = Alliance??
Hmmm….in his series/movie Firefly/Serenity the zombie types (Reavers) are created by an overbearing and intrusive government.
How dumb is this guy if he can’t even see the lessons within his own movie about the evils of an overbearing and intrusive government??

Romney = Independent
I’ll take the Indy route every day of the week and twice on Election Day (channeling my inner democrat!)

it will be a hangover waking up with Obama re-elected
worse than any facial tatto

I’m deciding which of their movies I should buy my kids for Christmas with my meager funds
on second thought I will give my children an early Christmas present on November 6th
audiotom on October 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM

NO!! It’ll more like the strip bar scene where BHO will be the trannie and the America people will be Stu taking it right in the 5th point of contact.

VikingGoneWild on October 30, 2012 at 3:26 AM

The Whedon video is a spoof. He’s making fun of the ridiculous rhetoric of the left. Supposedly he is an Obama supporter, but that doesn’t automatically make this an Obama ad. I imagine he is laughing his a$$ off at anyone who takes this video seriously, right or left.

NotCoach on October 30, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Malcolm Reynolds would shoot his creator.

SDN on October 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I don’t think he would bother.

Count to 10 on October 30, 2012 at 8:05 AM

NotCoach on October 30, 2012 at 3:38 AM

I don’t really see it. The core of his monolog is a reaffirmation of the liberal misconceptions about policy that Obama is pushing, and that’s the only part of the clip that doesn’t seem sarcastic.

Count to 10 on October 30, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Count to 10 on October 30, 2012 at 8:09 AM

I think we have been exposed to too much leftist tripe that should be considered parody. Like that recent video of the singing children for example. I stand by my view that the Whedon video is full on snark.

NotCoach on October 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I loved the show Firefly. But having heard Joss Whedon talk about politics makes me wonder..
.. How could Adam Baldwin (Jane Cob) work for this guy?
I bet there were some lively conversations on the set between these two.

mechkiller_k on October 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM

One look at their second-most famous roles should make it clear what demographic they’re going for: We’ve got “Ben Chang,” a crazed tyrant with a penchant for getting fired and — even more incredibly — re-hired; “Andy Bernard,” who for some reason has to remind everyone that he got a degree at Cornell, and “Zach Galifianakis,” an entertainer leveraging his celebrity to become a “political commentator.” Yep, I think they’ve got the Olbermann crowd all zipped up.

calbear on October 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM