Great news: Chris Christie ready to reschedule Halloween or something; Update: Some hospitals in trouble; Video: Building’s facade blows away

posted at 9:29 pm on October 29, 2012 by Allahpundit

If Chris Christie tells you you’re trick-and-treating in mid-November, then you’re trick-or-treating in mid-November, punk.

Via JWF, watch below as he makes sure that Atlantic City’s answer to Ray Nagin won’t drag down Christie’s administration with him.

You’re welcome to use this as your open thread for Sandy. As I write this, the storm surge is overrunning lower Manhattan and looks to be just as bad as predicted. These three tweets followed in succession in my timeline some 20 minutes ago:

This amateur video makes Avenue C look like a river, and we’re really only in the first hours of this. The storm made landfall around an hour ago so the surge should continue into the night. The MTA tweeted that it hasn’t made any decisions about closing the subway system and that they won’t be able to assess the damage until tomorrow, but, er, they’re also tweeting that up to four feet of seawater is entering the tunnels on the east side. LaGuardia’s runways could be next, and no one knows how long the blackouts in lower Manhattan — and maybe beyond — will last. I can’t begin to imagine how much total economic damage there’ll be. But hey: Christmas for Keynesians, no?

Update: Rumors flying now on Twitter that the floor of the New York Stock Exchange is under three feet of water. I’m assuming that’s a lie and you should too, but the way things are going, it’s not a completely outlandish one. This, however, appears to be for real.

Update: If you’ve never seen what it looks like when a giant transformer blows, here you go.

Update: The reports about the Stock Exchange do in fact appear to be false. Even so, in the 30 years that I’ve lived here, this looks like it’ll be the single worst day for the city apart from 9/11.

Update: We have a hospital on fire in Coney Island, and the local FDNY can’t reach it because … it’s surrounded by water.

Meanwhile, in Manhattan, the lights went out at NYU’s Tisch hospital — and then the back-up generators went out too:

Update: Here’s something you don’t see every day:

Update: A strange coincidence: I live in a different borough from Karol and Bethany, but my lights flickered too — for the first time all day — just before they posted this:

Could be a pure coincidence but it makes me wonder if maybe we’re headed for a citywide power outage a la 2003, not just the lower half of Manhattan.

Update: 911 in New York City is now getting 10 times as many calls in one half hour as it typically gets in an entire day.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Trick Or Treat!

they lie on October 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM

WOW. Hoboken subway:

wargamer6 on October 29, 2012 at 9:33 PM

So when do the “Christie wants candy” jokes start?

malclave on October 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Good to be aware of this possibility… It probably means I should buy extra candy in case kids go out on October 31 AND in November sometime.

Yeah, so what if I’m not in New Jersey. New York is close enough.

And no I don’t ever get trick-or-treaters… but I need to be extra prepared in case I do…

Gingotts on October 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM

“That’s right, kids, Uncle Chris will watch all the candy until this bad old storm is past.”

cynccook on October 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Sure hope the WMFU used record fair isn’t cancelled for this weekend. I look forward to that every year.

ardenenoch on October 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM

The day after tomorrow!!!!111!!!11!111!!11

SouthernGent on October 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM

So when do the “Christie wants candy” jokes start?

malclave on October 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Uh, I guess now. :D

cynccook on October 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Okay Chris, we get it. You’re being proactive. Don’t go overboard, though. It’s unbecoming.

DrStock on October 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I hope you’re safe and well provisioned, Allahpundit. Stay warm and dry.

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Wednesday.
Halloween.
San Francisco Giants Parade.

Gee, what colors should I wear?

Orange & Black? Or Black & Orange?

aunursa on October 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Prayers for everyone’s safety.

chemman on October 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Hey, I have a fantastic idea; let’s build more cities and mansions in low lying, flood prone areas!

This is only a cat 1 storm, with hardly any real power. Anything damaged in this storm should be razed and left for park land.

KMC1 on October 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

So when do the “Christie wants candy” jokes start?

malclave on October 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Uh, I guess now. :D

cynccook on October 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Yeah, I noticed that when I refreshed the screen. :)

malclave on October 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Stay safe, Allahpundit! (And Allahkitties!)

pookysgirl on October 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Hurricane Sandy should do more for creating shovel ready jobs than O ever could.

they lie on October 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM

This amateur video makes Avenue C look like a river,

Doesnt work for me. Anyone else having trouble watching it?

Kelligan on October 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM

they lie on October 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM

It already has, if you count filling sandbags.

malclave on October 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM

So when people build structures on sand bars, I’m supposed to feel bad when said structures are destroyed? #Fire Island #Outer Banks

SouthernGent on October 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Wow this is horrible. Stay safe Allah.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I’ll take our CA earthquakes any day of the week.

/ says the girl who lives in a seismically stable part of the state

Bob's Kid on October 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM

TWC just repeated the rumor. They seem to think it is real.

nukemhill on October 29, 2012 at 9:42 PM

How is your neck of the woods, Allahpundit?

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 9:42 PM

16 oz drink laws are being violated as we speak in New York..

Send in the Federal agents STAT!!!’

This is the real news…

Electrongod on October 29, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Saw the pictures of Atlantic City. NJ is going to be happy Christie is running things I have a feeling.

gophergirl on October 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM

So when do the “Christie wants candy” jokes start?

malclave on October 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM

“Get in my belly!”

Brat on October 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Hey, AP, I hope you’re OK and out of range of flooding.

INC on October 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Christie’s an ass, cracking jokes and calling people idiots who cannot evacuate–ever heard of a shut-in, Guv? Not going to send paid public servants out to help? Fine–I trust there are Good Samaritans in Jersey who will risk their own lives on their own dime to help the helpless.

Jindal is the real deal. You never see him pulling this clown routine in the face of disasters threatening his constituents’ lives.

Christien on October 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM

They take Halloween seriously in NJ. When we lived there, there was an announcement in the paper about hours allowed to trick or treat during the late afternoon. Curfews for trick or treating hoodlums. Coming from the South I’d never seen anything like that.

INC on October 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM

KMC1 on October 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Yes this is only a cat 1, caveat is that is has large sweep for it’s wind and rain, storm but it has made landfall in a densely populated region. This type of October storm makes an East Coast landing on an average of one every 3 years (51 since 1855: h/t WUWT). It will also interact with a cold front storm coming through. Lots of snow and rain for everyone.

chemman on October 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Is Atlantic City a chocolate city to? Will Shepard Smith be in tears tomorrow?

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM

This storm is a bust…

Irene was 10x worse…

MGardner on October 29, 2012 at 9:48 PM

NYSE flooding report is false.

wargamer6 on October 29, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Bob’s Kid on October 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I’m in Florida and a lady from California came to work for the Jax newspaper and said that exact thing. I guess it’s what you are use to but as natural disasters go, I’ll take the one that gives you a week’s notice.

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Hurricane Party at AP’s!!!!

JohnGalt23 on October 29, 2012 at 9:49 PM

KMC1 on October 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Storm surge is always a killer and destroyer. People only think of high winds, and they forget about high tides.

INC on October 29, 2012 at 9:49 PM

The politicians are running on a combination of two modes:

1. CYA that they don’t have a “Katrina moment;”

2. the wetting-their-pants thrill of pushing citizens around.

As Mark Steyn wrote several months ago:

No dictator will ever need to declare martial law in America. All he’ll need to do is issue a “severe weather advisory” and everyone will stay indoors until they’re told it’s safe to come out.

Drained Brain on October 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Wow! That transformer blows!

DrStock on October 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM

This storm is a bust…

Irene was 10x worse…

MGardner on October 29, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Irene wasn’t 8 days before Obama’s defeat..

Electrongod on October 29, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Bob’s Kid on October 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I’ve been through a 7.2 (Japan), a 7.0, 6.9 and numerous high 5 and low 6 earthquakes (S. Cal). I’ve been through a couple of tornado’s (Missouri, Illinois). I’ve been through a couple of Typhoons (Cat 1, Cat 3). I’ll take the earthquakes any day of the week.

chemman on October 29, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Dogs wearing seat belts and Halloween in November … New Jersey; always on the cutting edge.

Pork-Chop on October 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Allah, please post the video of Ty Woods’ father from tonight’s Hannity. Everyone must see that.

Brat on October 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Brat on October 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM

But lets not make it about politics..

Electrongod on October 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I can see how Manhattan could be under water. It’s been such, intellectually anyway, for at least half a century.

Seriously, they call it lower Manhattan for a reason, and the Hudson is one of the worst managed waterways in the country, almost as bad as the Mississippi.

TXUS on October 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM

TWC just repeated the rumor. They seem to think it is real.

nukemhill on October 29, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Now they’re confirming that there is no flooding on the floor.

nukemhill on October 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 9:49 PM

We have tornadoes and straight line winds. I’m in my mid 30′s and they still scare me. No warning and such destruction.

gophergirl on October 29, 2012 at 9:54 PM

TXUS on October 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I saw an article today discussing all of the various toxins the writer’s believe will be ‘flushed’ out of the city and into the ocean from this storm.

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I just knew there was a reason Christie was stockpiling all those fat reserve. He wanted to be able to feed the people of NJ, in a time of crisis.

Norky on October 29, 2012 at 9:56 PM

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 9:55 PM

You shouldn’t talk about Urban Elitist that way. :)

chemman on October 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM

If the mainstream media was based in the South:

“Should we pay to rebuild NYC?”

“If a Cat 1 does this what is going to happen when it gets hit by a real hurricane?”

“What were these people thinking building all this stuff right on the coast?”

“What idiots stayed behind when they were told to evacuate?”

ModerateMan on October 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Stay safe, yankees, and bless your hearts.

Christien on October 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Governor Christie

@GovChristie

If conditions are not safe on Wednesday for Trick or Treating, I will sign an Executive Order rescheduling #Halloween.
======================================================

Le Wow!!

canopfor on October 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Well, at least many of the big rats will be drowned?

SouthernGent on October 29, 2012 at 9:59 PM

gophergirl on October 29, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I know, out of nowhere, that’s just scary as hell. The Husband was in the big earthquake in California in 1989, he’s not a fan of them either.

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 9:59 PM

SouthernGent on October 29, 2012 at 9:59 PM

You are the eternal optimist and a real joy.

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 10:00 PM

canopfor on October 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM

But Obama will countermeasure with and Executive Privilege..

Electrongod on October 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM

SouthernGent on October 29, 2012 at 9:59 PM

No. they’re excellent swimmers and will simply move to higher quarters.

It will, though, wash most of the urine out of the alleys. That should, in and of itself, be most refreshing, at least briefly, when things dry out.

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Results for #frankenstorm
Related: #sandy nyc, #sandy

===========================

Larry King ‏@kingsthings

I lived in Miami for 20 years, lived through many hurricanes – never ever seen anything like #Sandy this is a horror story #frankenstorm

FEMA ‏@fema

For our new @Twitter followers, check out our timeline for a wide range of #Sandy & #frankenstorm safety tips. Click here –> @fema

canopfor on October 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Hey, where’s gumbyandpokie? Sure would be fun to encircle him and beat the snot out of him (intellectually) to relieve our angst about the storm – sort of a distraction.

johnnybgood on October 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Sorry, yeah, yeah.

But don’t think us rubes in Flyover Country have forgotten what condescending, elitist assholes most you are.

Our hearts went out on 9/11, but this is just weather.

So deal.

Bruno Strozek on October 29, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Hope AP is holed-up in an undisclosed safe location.

cthulhu on October 29, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I know people are saying “what wimps in NYC.”

Ask any weather specialist and they’ll explain to you how the layout of NYC harbor makes it very susceptible to flooding.

Anyway. I left NYC to go to my parents house out in eastern LI. The house is in the woods. Wanted to be here if and when trees come down. We have towns flooding over.

I live on a small peninsula and we are cut off from the mainland. The causeway has been breached.
Anyway got tons of wine so I’m fine.

Winds seem to have died down but the flooding is just beginning for the area.

South shore of LI is particularly screwed.

I saw our bays and the LI sound turn into oceans today; seeing bodies of water that are lucky to top one foot waves start generating 8-12 foot waves. Pretty awesome sight

blatantblue on October 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Empire State Building:

INC on October 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 9:55 PM

With all of Bloomberg’s and Cuomo’s “concern” about the environment and global warming and all that crap, the dirty little secret is that, through payoffs of local authorities up and down the Hudson, by waste management companies (ahem, the goodfellas) there is all manner of bad stuff thrown in there.

My friends in NYC joked, after Sully landed the Jet in the Hudson, that the passengers were lucky to get off it before it disintegrated.

TXUS on October 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I’ll take our CA earthquakes any day of the week.

/ says the girl who lives in a seismically stable part of the state

Bob’s Kid on October 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I also live in the seismically stable part of the state. Wonder if we’re neighbors . . .

I moved to CA from the Midwest a dozen years ago, thinking that earthquakes would be better than blizzards and twisters. So far, so good, but I’m ready for any disaster. Katrina made me realize that I better prepare for anything.

pianomomma on October 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Drained Brain on October 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Judging by the bozos walking around the AC boardwalk in 50mph winds today, I’d say Steyn is not correct.

Lost in Jersey on October 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Well, at least many of the big rats will be drowned?

SouthernGent on October 29, 2012 at 9:59 PM

What a terrible way to talk about New Yorkers!

ClintACK on October 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Sandy
******

Rumors of NYSE trading floor flooding are not true, says NYSE – @politico @CNBC @weatherchannel

3 mins ago by editor

Live video: New York Mayor Bloomberg briefs the public on Sandy – @NBCNews

5 mins ago from video.msnbc.msn.com by editor

Video: Floodwaters swamp the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel – @CBSNewYork

8 mins ago from http://www.cbsnews.com by editor
=============================================

canopfor on October 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM

blatantblue on October 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Good for you, bb, stay safe. BTW, anybody who says anything about the “wimps” in NYC, doesn’t remember 9/11.

TXUS on October 29, 2012 at 10:09 PM

My governor (Malloy in CT) is warning of a Katrina-like situation. The man has been insanely over the top about this storm since the beginning. The usual places are flooding, but otherwise it’s a pretty mild storm.

Timin203 on October 29, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Maybe it was much worse in the city…

I am about 2 hours north in Albany…

I just remember Irene being much, much worse..

MGardner on October 29, 2012 at 10:09 PM

My kids live in Long Beach, NY…the whole town is under water. Been getting updates from my son, it’s really bad, the ocean met the bay.

BeachBum on October 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM

blatantblue on October 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I don’t think they are wimps and I actually think they have less options than most other places. What really struck me this evening was to hear that the area involved has a quarter of the country’s population. It sort of screws up that suburban sprawl theory. That’s a lot of people in a small area.

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM

The Kinks – Lost and Found

THE perfect song for Hurricane Sandy.

Christien on October 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM

==============================================================

Speaking of New Orleans,and the Bridge Ordeal………….

VIDEO:

Wednesday, October 3, 2012
“Obama Voted Against Money for Katrina”
***************************************

canopfor on October 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM

TXUS on October 29, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Excellent point!!!

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM

TXUS on October 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I’ve read reports and had friends say similar things to me regarding the actual quality of the rivers in NYC.

Every time I think of it, for some reason, I think of the old time mob saying things like “Can I help it if he took a swim with his hat on?” Or the old staple about “Coney Island white fish” being what they call all the condoms that keep washing up on the beaches.

I know it’s a huge city, and that there are a lot of people doing business of all kinds, legitimate and illegitimate, there, but LA is also a huge city and, frankly, its a great deal cleaner. I’m convinced it’s because it’s more spread out and not so vertically packed.

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Current GOES EAST Sat.

canopfor on October 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Katrina made me realize that I better prepare for anything.

pianomomma on October 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Zombie apocalypse covers pretty much everything.

cozmo on October 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I’ll take our CA earthquakes any day of the week.

/ says the girl who lives in a seismically stable part of the state

Bob’s Kid on October 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Agree from Sacto :)

jimver on October 29, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Okay.. It might just be me but I’m not getting the horror now. The bozo reporters were walking along battery park.

Illinidiva on October 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I hope you don’t have a mohawk and wear an old Army fatigue jacket…

Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.

Do you ever stand in front of the mirror and repeat “You talkin’ to me? You talkin’ to me?”

malclave on October 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Well to lighten the mood – the Clinton rally in Minnesota tomorrow is at the U in one of the smallest places to hold a “rally” on campus.

I would be surprised if there were 200/300 people tops there.

gophergirl on October 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Illinidiva on October 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM

They have about a dozen more hours of this. Off and on.

cozmo on October 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I would be surprised if there were 200/300 people tops there.

gophergirl on October 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Make it so.

cozmo on October 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM

They have about a dozen more hours of this. Off and on.

cozmo on October 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Is Jim Cantore talking in that breathless OMG voice still?

gophergirl on October 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM

SouthernGent on October 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Completely agreed! I have been hoping and praying for that stupid lighthouse on Cape Hatteras to enter the ocean since I was a teenager.

thuja on October 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM

7online LIVE VIDEOrss
Live Sandy coverage from Eyewitness News
****************************************

Coverage of Hurricane Sandy as events warrant

Watch continuous live coverage of Hurricane Sandy from Eyewitness News in New York City.

We will provide live coverage of Eyewitness News and events related to Hurricane Sandy as events warrant.

You can also watch live on our Eyewitness News iPhone and iPad apps. Search WABC in the app store.

Regular network programming is available on our digital channel, Channel 7-2 if you receive us over the air; various channels on cable and satellite.

If you have a portable radio, both 98.7 FM and Deportes 1050 will be providing a simulcast of Eyewitness News during our continuous coverage of Sandy.

=====================

VIA:
====

Local Coverage
WABC-TV New York
WPVI TV-6 Philadelphia
WCVB-TV Boston
ABC11-WTVD Raleigh, NC
WJLA Washington D.C.

canopfor on October 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Is Jim Cantore talking in that breathless OMG voice still?

gophergirl on October 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Heck, I dunno’.

Following big storms is just another of my quirks.

cozmo on October 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM

KMC1 on October 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

INC on October 29, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Yep.

That’s why we should continue to build / rebuild in areas prone to flooding…. I just loooove riding along the shoreline in southern New England,,,,you know where there are homes built every 10 feet and there’s almost no place for the public to even access the ocean, and just think “hmmmm, those houses are only a foot or two about the high tide line…what happens when a storm comes in?”.

They claim a disaster zone and then use taxpayer money to rebuild the mansions and keep the beach access closed off to the riff raff. That. That is what they do when a storm comes in.

KMC1 on October 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM

With more and more of Manhattan blacking out, I suspect that AP won’t have access to the internet tonite because supposedly the cell service is also out.

Meanwhile, postponing trick or treating is a sensible thing to do. Who wants kids out in lots of rain on Wednesday night when it is dark, and cold, and maybe still downed trees and powerlines.

I didn’t know this storm was going to be so big that it actually is blanketing as far west as Michigan. We have the winds and are getting the rain tomorrow. Right now, just the winds and we were cloudy all day. I am on the western part of the state, too. One of the weather reporters said this storm is stretching 1000 miles across. I live on high grounds, so no worries about flooding.

karenhasfreedom on October 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Midtown Manhattan missed the storm – so far.

/ dont tell the crane

faraway on October 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Heck, I dunno’.

Following big storms is just another of my quirks.

cozmo on October 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Hope you’re not a stom chaser too :)

jimver on October 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM

They need to make this storm appear to be the most devastating thing ever to hit the east coast. Gotta keep people from thinking about the lies and cover-up of our murdered citizens in Benghazi.

lonestar1 on October 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Power out 39th st and lower

faraway on October 29, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Hope you’re not a stom chaser too :)

jimver on October 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I ain’t that dumb.

But I did drive a box van through a tropical storm once to get to a military symposium in Fort Walton Beach.

Got a picture of me standing in the storm surge.

I was younger, and dumber then.

cozmo on October 29, 2012 at 10:28 PM

malclave on October 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM

No. How about you?

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM

OMG..Laura Ingraham just tweeted that per Bloomberg the backup power for NYU hospital has failed. I hope this is not true or gets fixed immediately.

Mitsouko on October 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM