Great news: Chris Christie ready to reschedule Halloween or something; Update: Some hospitals in trouble; Video: Building’s facade blows away

posted at 9:29 pm on October 29, 2012 by Allahpundit

If Chris Christie tells you you’re trick-and-treating in mid-November, then you’re trick-or-treating in mid-November, punk.

Via JWF, watch below as he makes sure that Atlantic City’s answer to Ray Nagin won’t drag down Christie’s administration with him.

You’re welcome to use this as your open thread for Sandy. As I write this, the storm surge is overrunning lower Manhattan and looks to be just as bad as predicted. These three tweets followed in succession in my timeline some 20 minutes ago:

This amateur video makes Avenue C look like a river, and we’re really only in the first hours of this. The storm made landfall around an hour ago so the surge should continue into the night. The MTA tweeted that it hasn’t made any decisions about closing the subway system and that they won’t be able to assess the damage until tomorrow, but, er, they’re also tweeting that up to four feet of seawater is entering the tunnels on the east side. LaGuardia’s runways could be next, and no one knows how long the blackouts in lower Manhattan — and maybe beyond — will last. I can’t begin to imagine how much total economic damage there’ll be. But hey: Christmas for Keynesians, no?

Update: Rumors flying now on Twitter that the floor of the New York Stock Exchange is under three feet of water. I’m assuming that’s a lie and you should too, but the way things are going, it’s not a completely outlandish one. This, however, appears to be for real.

Update: If you’ve never seen what it looks like when a giant transformer blows, here you go.

Update: The reports about the Stock Exchange do in fact appear to be false. Even so, in the 30 years that I’ve lived here, this looks like it’ll be the single worst day for the city apart from 9/11.

Update: We have a hospital on fire in Coney Island, and the local FDNY can’t reach it because … it’s surrounded by water.

Meanwhile, in Manhattan, the lights went out at NYU’s Tisch hospital — and then the back-up generators went out too:

Update: Here’s something you don’t see every day:

Update: A strange coincidence: I live in a different borough from Karol and Bethany, but my lights flickered too — for the first time all day — just before they posted this:

Could be a pure coincidence but it makes me wonder if maybe we’re headed for a citywide power outage a la 2003, not just the lower half of Manhattan.

Update: 911 in New York City is now getting 10 times as many calls in one half hour as it typically gets in an entire day.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Oh please, you know less about me than I do about you, which is nothing. Now you are going to quantify the areas that are acceptable and those that aren’t while demanding Bloomberg’s resignation. He should have never been given a third term but that still wouldn’t change the storm and the suffering of the people in New York. Even if I don’t think you are a lib, did you gripe about W reading “My Pet Goat” to the school children on 9/11?

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 2:57 AM

He sounds like he’s young enough to be one of the school children being read to at that time.

Flora Duh on October 30, 2012 at 3:01 AM

And I’m pretty sure not many folks are going to fall.out of your chair when you say you support Obozo. But I do admire how both you and R2B are essentially arguing forpeople to have the right to live in areas that are not feasable, at the cost of everyone else. (Sounds a lot like “thinks like a mineral”)

Well, you definitely proved Alchemist right. Becuase you DO sound like one of Paulie Walnuts zombies.

The area is feasible, son. How many of these “storms” have hit NYC in the past X amount of years you’ve been alive?

I daresay, I’m older than you AND a native NY’er and I can assure you, we’ve been through worse, both man made AND natural. My sister & brother in law, who both live in Manhattan right now, are not canoeing up the FDR drive NOR are they worried that much about the storm, anymore than any other rational NY’er.

So dial it back a notch or three, okay? Just a suggestion.

And that even with a WEEK to plan, Bloomy let people get stranded in a hospital surrounded by water, without power, and patients in critical care wards.

And yet, those patients are being e-vaced OUT of those areas into alternate site as they can ride out the storm. And since, even in Nanny State New York that it’s evolved into, it hasn’t gone so far yet that Bloomberg has dispatched people from the Dept of Hospital Generator Services to make sure the damn things work…or maybe he should have used those Paramilitary Forces you keep harping on?

Yeah, you guys have great judgement. You guys arent exactly bolstering your case for “wisedom with old age” are yya

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 2:40 AM

But YOU, OTOH are proving the adage “Youth is Wasted on the Young” quite well…keep up the good work, and here’s a Gold Star for you!

BTW, what part of NYC do YOU reside in, and where did you relocate yourself to when the storm was a-coming?

BlaxPac on October 30, 2012 at 3:01 AM

‘Frankenstorm’ Full Moon:

Hurricane Sandy’s Impact Amplified by Lunar Event

SPACE.com Managing Editor
- Oct 29, 2012 10:23 AM ET
**************************

VIA:
=====

canopfor on October 30, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Flora Duh on October 30, 2012 at 3:01 AM

LOL!!!

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 3:06 AM

BlaxPac on October 30, 2012 at 3:01 AM

I’m calling it a night. You and yours take care of yourself and that fabulous city.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Heres the Ground Zero turns into Niagara Fall Image!!

Ground Zero = Flooded (AP Photo/John Minchillo) #Sandy pic.twitter.com/SU8GW1JP

canopfor on October 30, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Cindy Munford:Sweet Dreams:)

canopfor on October 30, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Youre cracking me up. You sound so insulated from the real world, its not even funny. I’m not even gonna bother giving you examples of why you’re naive.

Hate to tell ya, sonny, but you already sound like you’re cracking up.

But please, Its early in the A.M., and I enjoy a good chuckle as much as the next person…how am I naive, and you, O great knower of all thing, seem to be soooo ahead of me. I’m facisnated to learn!

And if you think I’m ragging on COPS you’re really cracking me up! Lolz.

Oh, I don’t know…maybe this line here will be a good reminder?:

Your “Liberal” overlords can dictate the size of a soda, or create a paramilitary police force, but they can’t either upgrade or destroy old infrastructure. They have several hundred million dollars a year to run around and play Rambo KGB cops, but they can’t spend your tax money (oh, sorry, I forgot, you’re a “Liberal”so it wouldn’t be YOUR tax money they’d spend) to upgrade infrastructure?!?

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM

But hey, maybe that’s just me, thinking that calling cops “Rambo” isn’t a insult. My mistake.

For all your psycho babble crap, its funny to see how ridiculously off.base you are.

Well, hopefully, you will show us ALL how smart you are by telling me how “off base” I am.

Go ahead, no one will stop you, in fact I’m sure (in your mind) that most of them agree with you I’m wrong….although you seem to be making a pretty lame case so far.

You are right about one thing though, you’re way to the Left of me, that’s for sure.

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Kid, Left OR Right, you’ll always be wrong. But buck up, I’m sure when YOU’RE in charge, following the Little Book of Paul, you’ll have the trains running on time just like that :snap:.

Then again…maybe not.

BlaxPac on October 30, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, I got distracted by delicious beer.

Breezy Point, Queens is on fire.

mythicknight on October 30, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Crew member pulled from water after abandoning tall ship HMS Bounty in Atlantic has died, Coast Guard confirms – @AP

5 mins ago by editor
========================

Update: 170 firefighters battling 15 building blaze in Breezy Point, Queens, a flooded Zone A area – @NBCNewYork

12 mins ago from http://www.nbcnewyork.com by editor

canopfor on October 30, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Night Cindy…I see KMC1 babysitter musta noticed the glow underneath his crib blanky before she confiscated it….LOL

BlaxPac on October 30, 2012 at 3:17 AM

October 30, 2012 5:27 am
New Jersey nuclear plant issues storm warning
By Ed Crooks in New York
************************

The Oyster Creek nuclear power plant on the coast of New Jersey, the oldest large commercial reactor in the US, has issued an alert warning of high water levels as a result of Hurricane Sandy, which hit the east coast on Monday night.(More….)

==========================================

EntergyNuclear
@EntergyNuclear

With more than 10,000 megawatts of nuclear capacity, Entergy is one of the nation’s leading nuclear generators.

Jackson, Mississippi · http://www.entergy-nuclear.com/

canopfor on October 30, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Darn it, he’s gone before I could get home and give him a proper response. Thanks to those of you who cleaned it up for me.

I had so many questions I wanted to ask him though! I wanted to pick his brain and find out how much of NYC should have been evacuated, how he would determine the line between those who stay and those who should go, what the cost of shutting down the city would be while that many million people fled, went to wherever it is that many people go when a storm the size of Western Europe hits, how far back we should pull from coastal areas since they pretty much all can flood, not to mention the entire Mississippi and most other rivers, how much that would cost relative to flood damage, and if places like Seattle (next to water that could rise, not to mention a volcano!) and Hawaii (you might get a week’s notice but there isn’t any place to evacuate to!) should just be abandoned altogether. But such is life when dealing with people who haven’t thought things through all the way to their conclusions.

I go through that list just in case he’s still out there. They never really seem to go to bed when they say they’re going to.

alchemist19 on October 30, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Superstorm Sandy puts NJ’s Oyster Creek nuclear power plant on alert; NY’s Indian Point plant shut down
By The Associated Press

*Region 1 Reactors
*Region 2 Reactor
*Region 3 Reactors
*Region 4 Reactors

===================

canopfor on October 30, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Photo: Homes destroyed by fire in Breezy Point, Queens as firefighters tackle major fire – @NBCNewYork

5 mins ago from twitpic.com by editor

canopfor on October 30, 2012 at 3:41 AM

Otay Peeps,um….its late,
catch y’àll later,

GoodNight to who ever is still up———–:)

canopfor on October 30, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Oh and for the record…..

KMC1 on October 30, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I’ll go along with everyone else and take your dodging of my point as a tacit admission I was right. I thank you for your honesty even if it was only implied.

Being accused of being a Jug Ears supporter is a new one for me. I’m an Allah-level eeyore when it comes to reading polling data but I don’t think I’ve ever been accused to being complicit in the destruction of the country before. I’m 100% committed to Governor Romney.

alchemist19 on October 30, 2012 at 3:55 AM

One for the road!

Sweet Jeebus…………………….SHARKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandy, Frankenstorm, Hurricanesandy, Nyc, Nyse, Breezy Point, Ny, Brigantine Beach, Jersey Sandy, New Jersey

hot100darwin: Unbelievable shot from #hurricanesandy in the USA. Streets so flooded that theres a shark in the streets! @Nick_K_1 http://t.co/wNwoxoyL
Oct 30, 2012, 08:45 UTC

More Images:

canopfor on October 30, 2012 at 4:52 AM

Ridiculous:

I’m experiencing the very outer edge of Sandy right now. 30 mph winds, gusting to 45, and it looks like it’s going to rain any second now.

By the way, did I mention that I’m in flippin’ northwest INDIANA???

#HowBigIsThisFrankenStormAnyway

JimLennon on October 30, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Wow, hope all the east coasters are staying safe out there. Think relaxing thoughts.

abobo on October 30, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Our school district is closed due to power outages from high winds.

Did I mention we live in MICHIGAN?

Grace_is_sufficient on October 30, 2012 at 7:27 AM

I must say this, though:

We lose power, media says, “Michigan towns lose power”.

New York loses power, media says, “MANHATTAN PLUNGED INTO DARKNESS!”

Grace_is_sufficient on October 30, 2012 at 7:28 AM

If conditions are not safe on Wednesday for Trick or Treating, I will sign an Executive Order rescheduling #Halloween.

Fatboy’s afraid he won’t get enough candy for his BIG FAT ASS if Halloween goes down when it’s supposed to.

HondaV65 on October 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I wonder if anyone will cry and moan about rebuilding Manhattan and other damaged areas of New York / Jersey?

HondaV65 on October 30, 2012 at 8:13 AM

so, I’m sitting here reading about all the flooding, fires and devastation (prayers, thoughts and sympathy to all directly affected) when a HUGE flock of starlings just filled the sky passing over and around my house, thousands and thousands, minute after minute. The springer pup was hopping up and down in the backyard trying to figure out how to catch one of those birds.

I guess we’ll be feeling Sandy in the Chicago area fairly soon. Another flock just started flying over… Creepy stuff. A little girl at the school bus stop a block away just screamed a bloodcurdling scream. LOL

Hitchcock would be proud.

Fallon on October 30, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Fallon on October 30, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Where’s Jim Messina?

Flora Duh on October 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Flora Duh on October 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Don’t do that to me while I’m eating a granola bar, darlin’. I ’bout had to call 911. LOL!

kingsjester on October 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Obama briefed on Sandy throughout the night

How nice of you to force yourself to sacrifice a little sleep champ. Too bad you couldn’t afford our Ambassador, Sean Smith, Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty the same courtesy.

Flora Duh on October 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Where’s Jim Messina?

Flora Duh on October 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM

LOL Another layer of creepy…

Fallon on October 30, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Flora Duh on October 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Expect lots of photos to be released today of him with his “concerned” face on.

Brat on October 30, 2012 at 8:53 AM

What the NE/MID-ATALNTIC RINO’s fail to understand is, the rest of the country pretty much hates them.

Mr. Arrogant on October 30, 2012 at 8:54 AM

HondaV65 on October 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I truly hate when you post

blatantblue on October 30, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Brat on October 30, 2012 at 8:53 AM

All this is to him is a campaign opportunity.

kingsjester on October 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM

canopfor ^5 for the scanner links

that radio reference site is da bomb – we’ve used it here in Texas many times over the years

*prayers* to all who need ‘em

Katfish on October 30, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Joe Bastardi of Weatherbell is furious that this is not being called a Hurricane as there is no such thing as a tropical storm this far north…he predicted NJ and NY would be hit hard.

My house in Toronto is ever so slightly moving…three stories and lots of windows with gusts up to 100km tonight. I’m not sleeping, for sure.

Mitsouko on October 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM

It is a friggin’ hurricane…Just read the FB update of a friend of ours from Toronto and she only mentions the rain, lots of rain, she says…

jimver on October 30, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Where’s Jim Messina?

Flora Duh on October 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Creepy, creepy man….

jimver on October 30, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Sweet Jeebus…………………….SHARKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on October 30, 2012 at 4:52 AM

Is it sick that I really get a kick out of the pics of sharks swimming down streets?

Fallon on October 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM

HondaV65 on October 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Oh, STFU, creep. Who asked ou…you make sure your boy king puts on his compassionate face and gets ready for a bunch of photo-ops in lower Manattan and while at it maybe he can squeeze in a fundraiser at SJP ‘s house in West Village…

jimver on October 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Flickering lights? Ok come on.

Bishop on October 30, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Has Issa opened an investigation yet into Hurricane Sandy?

verbaluce on October 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Has Issa opened an investigation yet into Hurricane Sandy?

verbaluce on October 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM

No, but Preznit Bark did order the arrest of Wolfgang Petersen.

Bishop on October 30, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Got through Sandy OK, just sustained wind and 0.5″/hr. rain. I think that for this area of NoVA that severe wind event this summer that took out power for a week cleared out the stuff that would normally make Sandy into a disaster.

My thoughts and concern are for those in the Mid-West, Northeast and New England, the latter of which will have days more of this stuff.

My condolences to the family and friends of those lost in this storm and its effects.

ajacksonian on October 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Fallon on October 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Bull Sharks have been found all the way in MN… and after flood events in places wbere they have been found able to survive in freshwater ponds for years as long as the food supply can last.

It isn’t the sharks in the streets, but the Bull Sharks deciding to take up residence in places where you don’t expect them to be because, you know, ‘sharks can’t live in freshwater’. Tell that to the Bull Shark. Swimming down the street may just be that they are looking for a new residence.

ajacksonian on October 30, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Has Issa opened an investigation yet into Hurricane Sandy?

verbaluce on October 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Nope, he doesn’t want to get in the way of a good phoo-op for the preezy…

jimver on October 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM

The image of the shark swimming by someone’s front porch is burned into my brain forever.

Yikes.

Grace_is_sufficient on October 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Has Issa opened an investigation yet into Hurricane Sandy?

verbaluce on October 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Nope, he doesn’t want to get in the way of a good phoo-op for the preezy…

jimver on October 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM

It might be his last such opportunity, I might ad :)…

jimver on October 30, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Yikes.

Grace_is_sufficient on October 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I know. almost like in one of those post-apocalyptic movies…next thing you’ll see,a bunch of albino alligators floating around or taking over the NY sewage system…

jimver on October 30, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Same shark photos that were circulated during Irene… With the storm still in force, they’ll be staying in deep water.

PXCharon on October 30, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Funny thing about weather. It does what it does and goes where it likes. Always thought by looking at the shape of the coastline of the US, one could discern what has been happining all these many years with the weather.

Bmore on October 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Must be the same sharks we had in the Toronto subway a few months ago.

gh on October 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM

to all the libtards in the north east who voted for Obama ’cause he was so cool, blaaaack and was going to ‘stop the sea from rising’…

How is that working out for you????

Lol

txdoc on October 30, 2012 at 11:26 AM

ajacksonian on October 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Just found out the in-laws we thought were in Arizona are still in NoVA; glad to hear things were not too bad where you are, so maybe they will be okay too. I think you are right about the “preventive care” event.
Best wishes to you and your family.

(PS I enjoy your many thoughtful and informative comments)

AesopFan on October 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM

All this regional hatred in the comments is below us as a right leaning site, I smell some trolls. The Mayor and Governor of NY did their jobs, closed down the transit system. Bloomy also set up evacuation centers. All of this was done for worst case scenario, which we seem to have had. NJ also made the right evacuation plans; can’t help it if the liberal mayor of Atlantic City defied Governor Christie.

I lived in one of those low lying areas during the storm of 92. Should people leave houses right on the waterfront of the LI Sound or Atlantic on S side of Queens & Brooklyn, yes. Do we normally get flooding even onto the bedrock island of Manhattan? No.

The response here in NY and NJ puts Nagan and Blanco to shame. Not that it really matters, but 30% of NYC are Republican or NYS Conservative Party, it is not all Dems, and many are also registered Independent, so stop it. Also, Bloomy ran as Repub and went Nanny after.

Madisonian on October 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM

AesopFan on October 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I have two kids in Virginia Beach, they weathered the storm with minimal problems, no flooding and no loss of power. If your in-laws are in downtown Norfolk, they saw some flooding. Three people crying at the same time causes flooding in downtown Norfolk.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Nope, he doesn’t want to get in the way of a good phoo-op for the preezy…

jimver on October 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Well you probably think the hurricane was staged to allow for such opps.
Get you man Issa on this a-sap!

verbaluce on October 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Madisonian on October 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I knew y’all would rise to the occasion. And you will bounce back faster and better than most will think possible. I’ve seen y’all in action.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 2:00 PM

verbaluce on October 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Weird that you would belittle the constitutional duty of Congress to question the administration. I bet you thought it was ducky during the Bush administration.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM

If your in-laws are in downtown Norfolk, they saw some flooding.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

If you’re talking to AesopFan, he said the in-laws were in NoVA – Northern Virginia. But, you’re right about flooding in Norfolk. We had a few folks in this area lose power, it flickered several times for the rest of us. There was some storm surge flooding in some areas all over Hampton Roads, and a few roads blocked here and there. Generally, however, we received just the edge of this monster – and it still rained steadily for two days, with storm-level gusts.

GWB on October 30, 2012 at 2:34 PM

GWB on October 30, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Oh, goodness, I have a singular mind, I didn’t take that to be Northern Virginia, I imagine that they saw a bit more than Hampton Roads. Thanks. My daughter was surprised at how well our neighborhood in Va. Beach withstood the constant rain. She is even back to work today. Thanks again for the clarification.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Three people crying at the same time causes flooding in downtown Norfolk.

Cindy Munford on October 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Lol’d at that one….thanks.

Priscilla on October 30, 2012 at 8:30 PM