Clinton: That Jeep ad really hurt Obama’s feelings, you know

posted at 7:21 pm on October 29, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

And so the Jeep/China/offshoring drama continues. Team Obama was up in arms over the weekend because, they claimed, a new Mitt Romney ad perpetuates a false attack by pointing out that erstwhile-bailout-recipient Chrysler is considering building new Jeep production facilities in China. The only thing is, while Romney did misspeak while on the stump last week about Chrysler’s production plans, everything in Romney’s ad is completely true and mainly serves to point out that Obama gave taxpayer money to a company that offshores, even though we know how much President Obama just detests offshoring in practice and in principle, don’t you know.

So, Team Obama’s response? Fight facts with more fire!

Yes, because doubling down on your false “let them eat cake” narrative on Romney’s proposed version of the auto bailouts isn’t misleading at all.

But wait, there’s more! At a campaign rally on Obama’s behalf today, President Clinton went into full-on shameless demagogue mode, h/t the Weekly Standard:

I saw the reports of Governor Romney’s latest ad saying that the president had allowed Jeep to move to China. And so, this morning, before he left Florida and went back to Washington, he said, ‘You know, of all the things Governor Romney has said that probably hurts my feelings the most.’ He said, ‘You know, I never had any money when I was a kid, and the first new car I ever owned I was 30 years old it was a Jeep. I would never move Jeep to China.’

Well, far be it from Mitt Romney to argue with any of the president’s lingering Jeep-sentimentality by pointing out his intellectual inconsistencies on offshoring — how very gauche of him.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Well, Barack has always been a sensitive lad…

JohnGalt23 on October 29, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Wow, that ad really stung Obama, didn’t it?

SAZMD on October 29, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Clinton: That Jeep ad really hurt Obama’s feelings, you know

Of course it did. They’re liberals and that’s all that matters – their feelings.

kim roy on October 29, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Mommy, mommy, he hurt my feelings.

rbj on October 29, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I don’t much care if it hurt his feelings, but I deeply hope and pray it hurts his re-elction chances.

Siddhartha Vicious on October 29, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Sheeesh, it is all over drudge.

pat on October 29, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Does Jeep make a waaaahmbulance?

CitizenEgg on October 29, 2012 at 7:25 PM

you big crybaby

Dr. Demento on October 29, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Jeez, you would think Romney accused him of killing a woman with cancer.

Mark1971 on October 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Wow. How presidential…….

KMC1 on October 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Boo friggin’ Hoo. Tell that to all the bond holders you screwed.

RadClown on October 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Ahhhhh Mitt hurt his feelings. Poor beta male baby.

gophergirl on October 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I for one, cannot imagine a 30 year old Obama buying his first new car in the 90′s and it being a…..Jeep.

Doesn’t pass the laugh test.

Mord on October 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Based on Benghazi I’m stunned to hear he has feelings.

Flange on October 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Choom-mobile…

albill on October 29, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Obama is starting to cry early. Stock up on Kleenex. Drink fluids. Don’t dehydrate yourself before your concession speech next Tuesday.

portlandon on October 29, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Clinton really seems to be undercutting Obama with these remarks — first saying he was nearly in tears at the debate, now this.

How presidential is it to react to an opponent’s attack ad with hurt feelings?

ClintACK on October 29, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Doesn’t pass the laugh test.

Mord on October 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Yep. No way.

THIS GUY doesn’t drive a jeep.

portlandon on October 29, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Is that rusted POS that 0bama picked up Mooch for their first date?

Somehow I always say 0bama’s first car as a Miata.

jukin3 on October 29, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I would never move Jeep to China.’

Isn’t that Fiat’s deicsion?

Or does the One still control corporate decisions in the government-owned car companies.

Wethal on October 29, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Effin baby, no wonder the world is laughing at the guy.

Bishop on October 29, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Doesn’t pass the laugh test.

Mord on October 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Good point.

Has anyone here actually made it through his various autobiographies?

ClintACK on October 29, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I think saying Jeep is racist now…… Yeah, I think so.

ThePrez on October 29, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Give me a break. Wonder how Mitt felt when they accused him of causing a woman’s death. We don’t know, because none of his surrogates were going around whining about how much it hurt his feelings. If anyone knows that politics ain’t beanbag, it’s the Chicago crew…spare me the faux indignation.

changer1701 on October 29, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Here’s the basic problem – it’s easy to misrepresent and lie in a 30 second spot.

Romney could point out that Obama DID let Detroit go bankrupt – but only in a way that helped his cronies. Far more difficult to explain in a soundbite.

Red Cloud on October 29, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Unless Barry owned a car in Hawaii or his brief stint at Occidental…

…it ain’t the car he owned when he first started dating Michelle.

Sooo… tis appears Clin-Ton is Ly-Ing.

———————————————————————-

As for the ad, it’s F’ing true.

Makes the progs eat that.

I know the Chrysler bail out. It was a massive boondoggle for Ohio and Wisconsin.

Barry tossed a lot of guarantees around and then blew ‘em off when Fiat kept strongarming for a better deal.

Chrysler sale was awful for OH and the country. Romney was right back then, as it was the logical move to keep all the plants open, which some of us knew at the time.

budfox on October 29, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Choom-mobile…

albill on October 29, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Beat me to it!

VastRightWingConspirator on October 29, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Well, sorry pal, but that deal you made resulted in Fiat having…..wait for it…MAJORITY interest in Chrysler, so guess what genius, if they want to move the whole Jeep line to China, they pretty much can do it, thanks to you Mighty ‘O’!

Feast yer’ lyin’, sorry eyes on Fiat’s future plans for what you ironically (and sadly) refer to as “the US auto industry” Mr. President:

“The final step in the integration process will be to increase Fiat’s ownership of Chrysler from 58 percent to 100 percent. That will require either a public stock offering to cash out the remaining stake held by the United Automobile Workers’ health care trust, or a direct purchase of the trust’s stake by Fiat.

“We need to find a way to bring these two businesses together completely,” he said.

“Once Fiat takes full ownership, Mr. Marchionne will be faced with the delicate decision of whether to locate its corporate headquarters in Italy, the United States or possibly a neutral location”

Opposite Day on October 29, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I thought his first car would’ve been a Yugo! Love the Paul Shanklin parody played on Rush’s show!

Sasha List on October 29, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Well, those Delphi workers and the Indiana schoolteachers, firefighters and police officers, whose pensions were screwed because of Obama and the UAW, had more than their feelings hurt.

Resist We Much on October 29, 2012 at 7:34 PM

“how very guache of him”

I think “guache” is some kind of Central American fruit, like a persimmon.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on October 29, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Yep! The More a Lib screams like a stuck pig, the closer you hit to home! Obviously the accusations are dead on target, as the history of Lib Indignation shows. Lie about a Lib and you may or may not get a reaction. Tell the truth about a Lib and they want your entire family tortured and Murdered! You would think they would stop giving away such an important tell and you would think that the Republican eSTABlishment would stop running like frightened little girls every time they hit their mark!
ADDENDUM on how to take on the Obama Jihadi media & Win: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 29, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Real men

Schadenfreude on October 29, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I would have thought that was a decision that Chrysler makes not you- you rat-eared bastard. And who the hell thinks that your first new car was a Jeep? That’s a car for Americans not sorta Indonesian/sorta Kenyan/sorta Hawaiian coke-snorting lawyers.

Happy Nomad on October 29, 2012 at 7:35 PM

39, but as is usually the case with Obama, who’s counting?

Resist We Much on October 29, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Did it have Astro-Turf in the back like Clinton’s El Camino?

Art on October 29, 2012 at 7:37 PM

and dont forget the big evil auto ins co.s that wouldnt cover his collision damages cause he only bought liability coverage….evil, doncha know..

hillsoftx on October 29, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Did Obama park his Jeep outside of his log cabin?

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Liar. I don’t believe he has feelings.

vityas on October 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM

O.k. Trump, new assignment for ya! Find out if Obama really owned a Jeep!

ThePrez on October 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Fiat owns Jeep, and Fiat says they’re considering moving it to ITALY but not ALL of the manufacturing, just some of it.

Secondly, according to Maranis… Obama bought the Jeep in 1998… and he was 39 years old.

Obama’s first car was a Ford Granada… that he got from his Grandfather.

His Grandfather also bought him a ‘beat up red Fiat’ at a car lot on California.

His next three cars were a Honda, a Nissan, and a Datsun.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee was apparently the first American car that Obama purchased.

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Dude, this is a sign that the campaign knows it is bleeding and they acknowledge that this ad is the final cut in a death by 1000 cuts.

nitzsche on October 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Has anyone here actually made it through his various autobiographies?

ClintACK on October 29, 2012 at 7:31 PM

That’s a place decent people don’t go.

Happy Nomad on October 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM

This just in.

80% of all Ohio Voters voted early.

Obama leading by 99% to Romney 1%.

But don’t worry Rasmussen has the election +2 Romney.

Argh…Sorry if I am sounding depressed but ….The early vote margin of 26% Obama is down right depressing.

Varchild on October 29, 2012 at 7:40 PM

39, but as is usually the case with Obama, who’s counting?

Resist We Much on October 29, 2012 at 7:36 PM

You have to give Obama a pass here.
He has no recollection of 9 of his high school/ college years.

Electrongod on October 29, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Did Bubba tell Obama, “Ah feel yore pain”?

Wethal on October 29, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Last Jeep I bought was a boxed Army surplus one in 1968. It was a 1944 still in the grease Willis. The next one I buy will be when Barry cuts me a check for $9 gazillion billion to pay for the warranty.

Limerick on October 29, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I would never move Jeep to China.’

I ?
Is Clinton the POTUS nowadays ?

burrata on October 29, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Old Clintoon certainly is sporting a W.C. Fields schnozz these days, isn’t he? (He had better put some ice on it.)

onlineanalyst on October 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Oh baby, I gots to.

chewmeister on October 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Hey Erika, it was a bald-faced, straight-up lie!

And the Obama campaign is ripping Mitt a new one!

Calling out an unprincipled liar like Mitt Romney is the best response.

chumpThreads on October 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Has anyone here actually made it through his various autobiographies?

ClintACK on October 29, 2012 at 7:31 PM

That’s a place decent people don’t go.

Happy Nomad on October 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Lool :) yet if Jim Treacher sidn’t go there, we would have never known about Bammie’s bizarre sweet tooth :)…for dog :)…

jimver on October 29, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Obama’s first car was a Ford Granada… that he got from his Grandfather.

His next three cars were a Honda, a Nissan, and a Datsun.

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I would have figured The One for a Volvo kind of guy. Either that or a BMW, which metrosexuals define as a “chick magnet”.

Michelle would want a Mercedes, for the upscale corporate lawyer look.

Of course, they were both dreaming of a multifuel-capable Maybach. Taxpayer-funded, of course.

The actual Presidential limousine

is custom-built by GM (big surprise there), and doesn’t carry a brand name.

I suspect The One thinks of it as the O-Mobile. Of course, I’m sure He thinks it runs on either unicorn flatulence or the excess energy from His Divine Aura, too.

clear ether

eon

eon on October 29, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Calling out an unprincipled liar like Mitt Romney is the best response.

chumpThreads on October 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM

About the only thing Obama is good at…
CiC..
Not so much..

Electrongod on October 29, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Varchild on October 29, 2012 at 7:40 PM

You are basing your depression on highly inflated numbers. According to most polls, 30-33% of Ohioans have said that they have either already voted in person or returned absentee ballots. That is simply untrue. Per the Secretary of State’s office, only 17.4% registered voters have already voted or returned absentee ballots. If 30% of voters had already voted/returned absentee ballots, the number would be 2.31 million.

In 2008, 29.7% Ohioans voted early or returned absentee ballots.

Furthermore, the votes have not been counted nor have the absentee ballots been opened. NO VOTES WILL BE COUNTED UNTIL ELECTION DAY.

I’m afraid that many people are telling pollsters that they’ve already voted to get them off of the phone.

Resist We Much on October 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM

google “Obama’s first car”

This guy has had more first cars than I’ve had my whole life and my first was a 1964 Impala in 1972. Just depends on which division of UAW workers he’s talking to at the time. What a douche.

jrsrigmvr on October 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I would never move Jeep to China.

Okay, would you move Jeep to, say, Kenya or Indonesia or, what the hell, Iran, you’re newest fave America-hating country? Or, why not Russia, when you get that post-election flexibility that you promised ol’ Vlad?

That a president would talk about where he would or would not move a private business enterprise is chilling, at the least.

TXUS on October 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Calling out an unprincipled liar like Mitt Romney is the best response.

chumpThreads on October 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM

It takes one to know one, Mr Obama.

Resist We Much on October 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM

“You know, I never had any money when I was a kid, and the first new car I ever owned I was 30 years old it was a Jeep. I would never move Jeep to China.”

And yet, he attended the finest private school in Hawaii – traveled the world from Mosque to Mosque and inherited $450,000 from his Bank VP grandmomma…

3 lies, told by a rapist liar – on behalf of a liar’s campaign.

Odie1941 on October 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM

What? Opetulant, the iceman, has feelings other than scorn and contempt? I refuse to believe it.

stukinIL4now on October 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Clinton: That Jeep ad really hurt Obama’s feelings, you know

Hang out awhile here on HA and both he and you will feel a lot of love.

arnold ziffel on October 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Hey Erika, it was a bald-faced, straight-up lie!

And the Obama campaign is ripping Mitt a new one!

Calling out an unprincipled liar like Mitt Romney is the best response.

chumpThreads on October 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM

yea that makes us all feel so much better ChumpThreads that JEEP may be going to ITALY!!!

Whew!!! WHEW!!!!! Close one!!!! I thought JEEP was going to leave America……err…….err….wait….IT IS LEAVING AMERICA!!!!!!!

Varchild on October 29, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Hey Erika, it was a bald-faced, straight-up lie!

And the Obama campaign is ripping Mitt a new one!

Calling out an unprincipled liar like Mitt Romney is the best response.

chumpThreads on October 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Haha. China, Italy, potatoe, potato…what’s the difference, tool :) they are owned by the silliest car company in tne world, Fiat, this in itself is sad…nobody in their right mind would buy a car that has anything to do with Fiat :)…. worst car company in Europe, and probably in the world..and of course they will move some of the Jeep production to Italy soon…to make the Jeep’s humiliation (and implicitly obysmal’s bailout effort) complete…

jimver on October 29, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Boohoo. Poow widdle Barky.

ghostwriter on October 29, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Chump your the classic useful idiot and you play the part knowingly…laughable. What a nutter.

CW on October 29, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Aww, obysmal is butt hurt…more, please :)

jimver on October 29, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Next thing we know, he’ll be saying his first car was the Batmobile.

TXUS on October 29, 2012 at 7:53 PM

That big stain on the blue dress really offended some people too.

hip shot on October 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Calling out an unprincipled liar like Mitt Romney is the best response.

chumpThreads on October 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Well I’m looking forward to at least four years of him lying his ass off. A regular festival of lies.

arnold ziffel on October 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Bipartisan poll

Schadenfreude on October 29, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Calling out an unprincipled liar like Mitt Romney is the best response.

chumpThreads on October 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM

No matter how much anyone lies, it it the irony of all ironies that Obama, the sausage made from Pinocchio/Machiavelli/Orwell/Goebbels/Muenchhausen call Romney a “liar”.

Among the two, one is an angel, in relative terms.

Schadenfreude on October 29, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Orders “Stand Down!” – Cold as Ice per Charles Woods

“Jeep to China” – Hurt feelings per Bill Clinton

O_o

Seven Percent Solution on October 29, 2012 at 7:58 PM

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 7:45 PM

You are yet to answer why your mother likes to sing. Once again I don’t care. It is just strange that you keep posting her name and her songs to refute an argument. Very odd.

HotAirLib on October 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM

“Could someone point me in the direction of Ohio China. I seem to be lost.” 0

Bmore on October 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Resist We Much on October 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM

You, Ma’am, are a treasure here; an island of unflappable facts, backed by solid sources.

Thanks for your help!

massrighty on October 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Then Maobama’s, Clintons, and all rest of em’ will have their feelings really hurt next Tuesday!!

LevinFan on October 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

HotAirLib on October 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Poor, poor, poor pitiful HAL. Cat got your tongue? Sing it HAL!

Bmore on October 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

All the trolls tonight are signing in to let us know they can see us laughing at them.

nitzsche on October 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Jackie, don’t mind HAL none, he’s just shy. And he’s losing his memory. Lol!

Bmore on October 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Calling out an unprincipled liar like Mitt Romney is the best response.

chumpThreads on October 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM

You mean like calling Romney a felon, a tax cheat, and a murderer just to name a few things???

Do you approve of all of those despicable tactics?

LevinFan on October 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Molly Ball ‏@mollyesque

Gallup: 15 percent of registered voters say they have already voted; Romney leads this group 52-46. http://www.gallup.com/poll/158420/registered-voters-already-cast-ballots.aspx

Resist We Much on October 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Obama never had any money as a kid? How the hell did he go to two Ivy League Universities with no student loans to pay back?

Daemonocracy on October 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM

massrighty on October 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Thx. My pleasure. :-)

Resist We Much on October 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Fiat’s Crap Earnings

SALES: Fiat sales are down 20 percent in the first nine months of the year, to 1 million vehicles from 1.37 million a year earlier. In September alone, they dropped 25.7 percent. That’s in a European auto market that dropped 7 percent in the first three quarters of the year, according to ACEA, the European automakers association.

Not only was Chrysler stolen from investors illegally – its the only brand on the + side of FIAT’s vast losing company.

Good to see we are keeping Italian workers afloat, through domestic American sales. They don’t break down Fiat’s American sales, because they are J-Lo crap.

Odie1941 on October 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM

His next three cars were a Honda, a Nissan, and a Datsun.

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM

…oh OH!

KOOLAID2 on October 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Maobama and Moochelle can pack up all their crap into their Jeep and drive it back to Chicago!!

LevinFan on October 29, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Obama’s first car was a Ford Granada. Seriously. Google it.

joejm65 on October 29, 2012 at 8:06 PM

chumpThreads on October 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM

uh oh…

melt down imminent

Daemonocracy on October 29, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Can we get an “Awwwwwwww”?

Poor baby.

Bitter Clinger on October 29, 2012 at 8:07 PM

chumpThreads

…WHO FARTED?

KOOLAID2 on October 29, 2012 at 8:07 PM

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 7:45 PM

HotAirLib on October 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I looked upthread and didn’t see that.

Are making stuff up…again?

cozmo on October 29, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I would never move Jeep to China.’

Why is he pretending it’s even his decision to make?

Jeep is owned by Chrysler, which is now owned by Fiat, who purchased Chrysler at a fire-sale price that caused U.S. taxpayers to have to take a big loss on the sale. (Barry’s a super-smart Harvard grad who has zero business experience and who can’t do math beyond the 7th-grade level).

Fiat can move those Jeep manufacturing jobs anywhere it wants to. It has talked about moving them to China, and more recently, to its home base of Italy. But whatever decision Fiat’s management makes about Jeep, it won’t be up to Barry — no matter what kind of car he owned when he was younger.

AZCoyote on October 29, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Daemonocracy on October 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM

He did, apparently have some student loans; they were paid back when he and Michelle cashed in big; he from money earned working for/with Annenburg foundation (headed by Bill Ayers father, among others,) and she with the big-money hospital job arranging the dumping of indigents.

Truly nice, inspiring people.

massrighty on October 29, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Troll tears are truly sweet.

Bmore on October 29, 2012 at 8:08 PM

eon on October 29, 2012 at 7:48 PM

LOL! Well said. :)

thatsafactjack on October 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Daemonocracy on October 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Foreign national scholarships.

cozmo on October 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Are making stuff up…again?

cozmo on October 29, 2012 at 8:07 PM

cozmo, I named him HAL for a reason. I knew he wouldn’t remember how it ended for him. Lol! ; )

Bmore on October 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM

cozmo on October 29, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Yeah, I don’t get it either unless it thinks that HAL singing “Daisy” is Jackie’s mom. It’s a stretch but I can’t come up with any other solution.

Cindy Munford on October 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Foreign national scholarships.

cozmo on October 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Sadly, we will find Amelia Earhart, and Jimmy Hoffa, before we know the answer to that question.

massrighty on October 29, 2012 at 8:11 PM