Virtual tie in … Minnesota?

posted at 10:41 am on October 28, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I’d be the first to tell people that my state is a quadrennial sucker bet for Republicans.  In 2008, no one thought we had a prayer, but in 2000 and 2004, Republicans actually thought they had a chance to break the Democrats’ presidential winning streak, as the state last went to the GOP in 1972.  I’ve been hearing Republicans get optimistic here again, but I’ve been highly skeptical of the prospects for Mitt Romney to even get close here.

Until now:

As the presidential race tightens across the country, a new Star Tribune Minnesota Poll has found that it is narrowing here as well, with President Obama holding a 3-point lead and Republican Mitt Romney making gains in the state.

The poll shows Obama with support from 47 percent of likely voters and Romney earning backing from 44 percent — a lead within the poll’s margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Last month, Obama had an 8-percentage point advantage in the Minnesota Poll. Romney has apparently cut into the Democrat’s advantage among women since then and picked up support from Minnesotans who were previously undecided or said they would vote for a third-party candidate.

Independents, on the other hand, are leaning more toward Obama. Barely a third supported him last month, but that number has grown to 43 percent. Romney’s support among independents remains virtually unchanged, with 13 percent of that group remaining undecided.

Bear in mind that this is the Star Tribune’s Minnesota Poll, which has a long and (un)glorious history of leftward tilt.  Mitch Berg has long documented this trend.  One has to wonder whether we’ll need to send paramedics to his house this morning after he reads Rachel Stassen=Berger’s report from the survey.

Snark aside, this looks like a relatively solid poll.  The sample is D+5, with a D/R/I of 38/33/29.  In 2008 when Obama won by 10 points, it was D+4 at 40/36/22, and I suspect that Republicans are going to be more motivated this time around. Obama wins the core counties in the Twin Cities, but only by a relatively weak 57/35.  Romney wins the Metro suburbs with a majority 51/39 and edges Obama 46/44 in the rest of the state.

In 2008, Obama had a 19-point edge in the gender gap, +3 among men and +16 among women.  This time, Obama has only a +1 — he’s up 14 among women but down 13 among men.  Obama still leads by 6 among independents, which he won by 17 points in 2008, but he’s only got 43%.  Late breakers are not likely to flow to the incumbent at this stage of the election; if the were inclined to support Obama, they’d already be in his corner now.

That’s true of the overall number as well. If Obama can only get to 47% in the Star Tribune poll with nine days left to go before the election in Minnesota, which has gone Democrat every presidential election over the last four years, this state is in play — and that’s why both campaigns are suddenly starting to spend money here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

, I would have started to turn parts of the country into a parking lot until they did.

Resist We Much on October 28, 2012 at 1:20 PM

You and me both, mum.

I feel quite certain Bush would like to have dropped a couple of neutron bombs on those backward weirdbeards, but he’da have had to deal with too many bloody drongos like urbane defeatists here and all over the world branding him a war criminal.

Lanceman on October 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Obama’s not hunting for WMDs in Iraq and we’re losing Afghanistan at a far faster pace.

Chuck Schick on October 28, 2012 at 1:20 PM

No, you have it backwards. We were losing Afghanistan when Obama was sworn in. You may recall that the right wing was baying for Obama to escalate, which he did. What did you think was going to happen, back when you were leading the charge for more troops?

And, while we’re on the subject, when is the Romneycrat class going to send their sons off to war? Or at least tax themselves enough to pay for it?

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Well, God Bless your enthusiasm & Hope, but I don’t care to spend any money or time in Mn. As stated in the post, a Repub hasn’t won Mn. since Nixon beat McGovern! I wouldn’t throw a penny at this state if I was in charge of a Repub National campaign.
Blogger joins the fight against the Obama Jihadi media! Important New Link & ADDENDUM on how to take on the Obama Jihadi media & Win:

Monday Oct.29th,2012, Freedom Works wants to circumvent the Obama Jihadi media Blackout of Benghazi-Gate! Here’s where You Can Make A Difference! Join in the 1Million Calls to the White House and Light Up the Switch Boards! Here’s the Details: http://connect.freedomworks.org/node/313166?source=tweet-event

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I am not a racist on October 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I can’t figure that out either. I am Scandinavian as well. My grandfather left Sweden to get away from that crap. And I’d never seriously vote for a ‘rat.

Lanceman on October 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Speaking of servicemen, I wonder how many are walking around without limbs because W. thought that invading Iraq would be cheap and easy?

I’m sure that just tears you up, doesn’t it.. I know men who went there, and my wife buried a cousin, so go F yourself for that shameless cheap smear. The same intell that Clinton had, Bill and Hill, that every major democrat Senator saw and signed off on…

YOU have the shameless partisan gall to blame entirely on one good man.. a man Kerry was unfit to shine his boots..

The winter soldier,. WHO TESTIFIED THAT MY UNCLE WHO WAS IN VIETNAM FOR 3 TOURS, WAS A BABY KILLER AND A THUG.. Your democrats are just as much at fualt, if any is to be handed out..

But you imply that something is wrong with the troops who are sending friends home in body bags, because of Obama’s new rules of engagement not adoring this worthless hack pissing away their lives by leaking intell for partisan gain?

Really?…………

I know these men far more than some pol hack like you, I’ve been in the ranks, done my time, and the fact is, damned few GI’s give a damn about liberal thinking.. or they wouldn’t have volunteered..

You raise some valid points, but:

1) You’re wrong on FDR. He was (by all accounts) an inspiring wartime leader. And, all due respect for the generals. I’d be disappointed if, say, Patton wasn’t a Republican. On the other hand, the grunts included JFK and George McGovern.

oh really… by all democrat hollywood newsreel accounts,… they censored media heavily then, and FDR owned the radio waves.. most people then couldn’t even name the men who ran against him.. FDR the first American dictator.. and lots of hardcore leftists who were stridently anti-war when it was England being hammered..

suddenly got all gung ho and warmongery when Uncle Joe was attacked.. a historical fact which former communists admitted.. They were defending the Soviets a lot more than fighting for the US.. Hemmingway turned on the hard left for just that. And McGovern?….

The guy who wanted to slash the defense budget 50% during the Vietnam war, and cut and run from the Soviets at every turn?

That McGovern?

I was in the cold war,.. and McGovern was not.. he was an appeaser of the first tier.

2) LBJ’s incompetence in getting us into Vietnam was exceeded only by Nixon’s incompetence getting us out.

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:04 PM

So the man who tried to salvage your debacle.. is worse that the man who started it?

You liberals wave Vietnam like a bloody shirt and scream Nixon pretty loud..

but not loud enough to cover for Johnson FAKING a torpedo attack to get us in a land war in Asia..

Your history is as distorted as Obama’s.. there wasn’t a book on WW II I hadn’t read in the library through high school, I consumed it all..

and you liberals have a rose colored view of the history where your reign was in question.. so much so it borders on fantasy.

mark81150 on October 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM

So-o-o, what’s lil bambam’s excuse?

Aside from the taliban not co-operating while barry tries to surrender?

Solaratov on October 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I live in Minnesota and see a lot of of Romney/Ryan signs around us. Haven’t seen any BO ones, except on cars. Wish I had a RR sign for my yard, but do wear a ‘Women for Mitt’ pin and have had positive feedback from that.

The Star Tribune is one of the most liberal papers I have have ever read. I don’t subscribe to it for obvious reasons, but I do get their weekly supplement in my mailbox (they give them out to everyone, even conservatives). In that tiny 6 pg paper (it’s mostly ads), there is almost EVERY week a story about ‘partners’ redecorating their homes or cooking or some homily of sorts. Once in awhile there is a man/woman couple, but the disproportion of LGBT is huge.

BTW, I also see many, many signs for the marriage amendment proposal here. But, alas, many have been stolen out of yards. Funny, the only one I’ve seen saying, “No” to the amendment is still there. Ironic.

TeaTrekkie on October 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM

you couldn’t come up with a Kenyan birth certificate?
urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM

But you guys couldn’t come with an American birth certificate. That’s pretty telling.

tommyboy on October 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

As someone, who opposed the Iraq War from the beginning, I will ask “Why don’t you talk to your Vice-President about those WMDs?”

So, your argument is that George Bush was no dumber than Joe Biden?

But, if I see Joe, I will ask.

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Perhaps if ol’ Sick Willie could’a found ‘a single legal reason’ to take Osama, we’d still have our Trade Center Towers. And all the Americans who died as a result.

Pure, unadulterated competence.

Especially in retrospect to WTC 1992 and the U.S.S. Cole.

Lanceman on October 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Kos is busy unskewing and denying all the polls. Great good fun to watch the meltdown.

whatcat on October 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM

LOL! They are questioning PPP! It is so deadly dull there, I wish they would emote a little more so it would be more fun for me.

Night Owl on October 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Ohh, ooh, I wanna see. What’s the title of the diary they’re melting down in?

Flora Duh on October 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM

So, your argument is that George Bush was no dumber than Joe Biden?

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Correct. Nobody could be ‘dumber’ than Slow Joe.

In that context, on his worst day, Albert Einstein was no dumber than Joe Biden.

Lanceman on October 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM

So, your argument is that George Bush was no dumber than Joe Biden?

But, if I see Joe, I will ask.

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

So I saw colon powell endorsing your man.

VegasRick on October 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM

And when are you going to send your son off to war, patriot?

For that matter, when was your military service?

Solaratov on October 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM

mark81150 on October 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM

- post of the year!

BTW in Minn, do the dead and felon vote count as independents or…?

RedbonePro on October 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM

So, your argument is that George Bush was no dumber than Joe Biden?

But, if I see Joe, I will ask.

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Biden says that the WMD were catalogued. That they were not something created by Cheney.

Let’s look at what Maerose Prizzi had to say, shall we?

“I come to this debate, Mr. Speaker, as one at the end of 10 years in office on the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, where stopping the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction was one of my top priorities. I applaud the President on focusing on this issue and on taking the lead to disarm Saddam Hussein. … Others have talked about this threat that is posed by Saddam Hussein. Yes, he has chemical weapons, he has biological weapons, he is trying to get nuclear weapons.

- Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi (D, CA) Addressing the US House of Representatives, 10 October 2002 Congressional Record, p. H7777

Pelosi speaks of her work on the intelligence committee over the past TEN YEARS. She made the above statement in 2002. Thus, she served on the IC PRIOR to Bush becoming POTUS. She has YES, he has chemical and biological weapons.

Would you like me to c&p all of the statements from Democrats like Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, Ted Kennedy, Dick Gephardt, John Edwards, Henry Waxman, Jay Rockefeller, Wesley Clark, Patty Murray, Barbara Boxer, Robert Byrd, Carl Levin, Madeline Albright, Sandy Berger, and Tom Daschle or would you just rather avoid public humiliation and read them in the privacy of your own home?

Resist We Much on October 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM

IBD Sunday Tracking

For What It’s worth

O 45
R 44

bgibbs1000 on October 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM

So, your argument is that George Bush was no dumber than Joe Biden?

But, if I see Joe, I will ask.

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Her you go, sparky:

ghostwriter on October 28, 2012 at 1:41 PM

IBD Sunday Tracking

For What It’s worth

O 45
R 44

bgibbs1000 on October 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Sample D/R/I 38/31/32

Romney up 8 with independents.

bgibbs1000 on October 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

O 45
R 44

bgibbs1000 on October 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM

That proves it.

obama is a lock for America.

Oh, it’s gonna be sweet coming in here on election night and seeing you all crying.

Lanceman on October 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

paratisi on October 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Stop pimping your blog in every post.

wargamer6 on October 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

IBD Sunday Tracking

For What It’s worth

O 45
R 44

bgibbs1000 on October 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Not that it hasn’t been proven that IBD/TIPP is a pretty sorry outfit in about a hundred different ways, but how do you manage to get 11% undecideds in your poll a week from election day?

Gingotts on October 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Let me clear. I am not implying that anything is wrong with the troops, for whom I have tremendous respect. I am stating (not implying) that way too many of them are dead, wounded or f****ed up because W. was an arrogant idiot.

Rules of engagement are decided by the generals, not Obama. And the leaking intel thing is a partisan slander.

And, on that note, I have to dash off to buy whatever it is you stock up on when a hurricane is coming.

Cheers.

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Cheers.

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Cue balls.

You stock up on cue balls.

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I figure now is as good a time as any to “Put up or shut up” on my prediction for the election.

332 O

206 R

Popular Vote
51% O
48% R
1% Other

Florida and Virginia are far from a sure thing but I feel confident after having watched the way polling has swayed in both states the past month that they will stay the way they went in 2008, albeit by smaller margins.

Typhonsentra on October 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

when is the Romneycrat class going to send their sons off to war?

urbane effetist on October 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Is our current (Democrat) Vice President a War Criminal like Cheney? After all, he dodged the draft 5 times too.

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Me so happy!

Oppan Gangnam Style

mechkiller_k on October 28, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Typhonsentra on October 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

What about AZ? Weren’t you drooling over that +2 poll?

wargamer6 on October 28, 2012 at 1:48 PM

sure… Obama did the surge..

by slashing the troop requests nearly in half, then yanking them out before the summer fighting season was over.. Another democrat deciding HE KNEW better than the actual soldiers tasked with fight it.

what a joke..

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM

When are the democrats going to send their sons’?

Palin did… but I’m sure you’ll hate her for that too.. McCain had a son there..

and there are a few million vets voting for Mitt.. so your point is meaningless. Since you liberals go to war without a draft, like there are French war heroes..

few and far between..

When is the liberal sneering class going to serve dude.. WHEN?

The American Samuri class is very much a conservative republican group.. and your liberal stick up the azz class never seems to go ROTC or WEST POINT… never seems to join the enlisted ranks.. oh there are blue collar democrats..

the kind your party makes fun of, the blue dogs..

My wife’s family who volunteered for multiple tours in Iraq.. used to be democrats.. not now,.. not after seeing what they have.. and the lunatic antiwar freaks your paty loves so much with their.. “do your duty and frag your officers” signs..

If I sound offended, congratulations..

The Americans who fight our wars.. those are my people.. all you know comes from reports by left wing press.. and you know nothing about us..

The very very few liberal vets.. do you even know any of them?

Mitt is fine as a choice..

Why didn’t Obama the royal Prick serve?

Didn’t bother YOU when he wanted to command war time troops he had zero qualifications.. did it? That he put in rules of engagement, that nearly doubled our casualties..

but he’s a democrat

there fore in your eyes perfect and why oh why do the troops hate him so?

mark81150 on October 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Typhonsentra on October 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Bless your heart, ain’t you special.

cozmo on October 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 1:47 PM

You know what’s funny? Our troops always seem to support those ‘draft dodging cowards’ in the Rethuglican party by 3 to 1.

And the ‘rats are always trying to supress their vote.

Veddy eentahresting….

Lanceman on October 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Typhonsentra on October 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I know that Team Obama thinks that early voting is DA BOMB when it comes to predicting how a state is going to go. In that vein, I must ask, “Have you taken a look at Virginia early polling returns lately?”

Florida is not going to Obama.

Resist We Much on October 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Maybe the people in Minnesota just aren’t too fond of a Commander in Chief who watches a live feed of four Americans getting killed why he orders reinforcements to “Stand Down!”…

… or maybe it’s just me.

Seven Percent Solution on October 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Just received a call at my home here in Wisconsin from Obama for America looking for my daughter who has been married for nine years. They asked for her by her maiden name. This tells me all I need to know how the Obama vote is going here in Wisconsin. If OBA has to resort to digging for college students who have been out of college for 10 years, they are hurting.

traditionalgal on October 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Romney from Leno Oppan Gangnam Style

He’s happy too!

mechkiller_k on October 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Typhonsentra on October 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Bless your heart, ain’t you special.

cozmo on October 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Is he a new moron or an older moron?

VegasRick on October 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM

332 O

206 R

Popular Vote
51% O
48% R
1% Other

Typhonsentra on October 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

LOL! Don’t quit your day job, Carnac

ghostwriter on October 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM

If you steal it, like in 2000, we will be cranky.

urbane effetist on October 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM

How is the US Supreme Court shooting down your guy’s attempt to steal that election (by a 7-2 vote, no less) “stealing”?

F-

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Take care of yourself.

Cindy Munford on October 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Is he a new moron or an older moron?

VegasRick on October 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Who the heck cares.

Just another nutball who got their Axelrod activation signal on their 0bamaphone.

cozmo on October 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Seven Percent Solution on October 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM

+ 100..Excellent post!!..:)

Dire Straits on October 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Cheers.

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Buy a bow and arrow set down at Toys R Us for when the gators and rats get flushed out of the sewers.

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

you stole it fair and square. I’ve always kind of admired how cynically and effectively the right wing came together to do that deal — from voter suppression to the Supreme Court.

urbane effetist on October 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Just curious-how was Bush able to convince the US Supreme Court to smack down the all-Democrat Florida Supreme Court 9-0 the first time, and 7-2 the second time? Did he pay them off?

And did you approve of the actions of that all-Democrat Florida Supreme Court, when they tried re-writing Florida’s election laws after the election had already taken place?

As for voter suppression helping Bush win that election, I’m sorry, but you will have to provide credible and multi sourced examples, or I’m just going to have to keep laughing in your direction.

G-

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Always surprising how much more competent the anti-war party is at waging war when it’s necessary.

urbane effetist on October 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Vietnam comes to mind…

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

wrong.. Obama ordered a change, which his pet general submited after Obama passed on it.. if you think Obama had nothing to do with that, you’re a blind fool..

What general not under extreme pressure changes the rules to greatly endanger our troops on his own?

and The intell leaks are real, even the NYT’s said so.. how GOP partisan are they?

Obama’s team is throwing our people on the fire, to buy good will from folks who will never like us, in spite of Obama’s ego.

Obama has no support from the troops, and W had massive support..

I trust their judgement over yours any day of the century..

Cheers.

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

don’t bother buying any hubris.. you’re all stocked up.

——————————

My apologies.. to Hawkdriver mostly.. I let myself get outraged by a fool.. But I have a serious hunk of rage for a liberal playing the our presidents ARE BETTER WAR GENERALS THAN YOURS.. he he he hehh

as if it were a game..

and history didn’t have lots of red flags to put the lie to that.

The facts don’t lie, and liberals can’t do anything else.. but.. I broke my promise to not get fired up and reply in multiple posts.. sigh.. I hate being baited.. no excuses,.. but I’m having a bad pain day.. and that was enough..

I’ll do better, and try harder next time.

mark81150 on October 28, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Relax, just look at the straws this goofy nutjob has been reduced to grasping for.

cozmo on October 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM

urbane effetist on October 28, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Your Democrat “candidate” for President in 2004 approved and signed off on that war. So did our current (Democrat) Secretary of State.

You really should read the entire 2002 Resolution some time. You might actually learn something.

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I guess if Republicans gave a d*** about losing troops in Afghanistan, they might have actually tried to win the war during the seven years they were in charge.

urbane effetist on October 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM

What could they have done differently? And leave Iraq out of it. Confine your answer to what they could have done in Afghanistan in those 7 years that they didn’t do.

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

c’mon Minnesoters!!!

ted c on October 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Chart of the Day: Net Change In Voter Registrations By Party Affiliation As Of September 2012

Compares registrations in states in 2012 to registrations in both 2010 and 2008.

Resist We Much on October 28, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I think he left to go stock up on tissue paper.

VegasRick on October 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

cozmo on October 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Yeah, I know. I was just late to the thread and had to yank UE’s chain. Amazing people can still believe that crap, but they do.

And then for UE to say with s straight face in yet another post on this thread that we’re the ones who are “uninformed”? Brilliant Satire!

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

swing states, and now light (maybe even dark) blue states are tilting right toward Romney/Ryan after Obama’s job approval has fallen through the floor in the last few days. American citizens don’t take kindly to a pr!ck who watches SEALs and ambassadors get killed and can’t even lift a finger to help them.

that is the truth.

enjoy your sh!tty legacy champ.

ted c on October 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

and that’s why both campaigns are suddenly starting to spend money here.

Not to mention the fact that WI is right next door and with much of that state in the same media market.

I would love to see Mitt take MN, but IMHO, if he does it will be part of a larger wave that will have swept the nation. I don’t think that he would take the state if he failed to win WI, OH, IA and probably MI as well.

MJBrutus on October 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Wouldn’t that be just one election :)

Anyway, I think you meant forty years, Ed!

OhioBuckeye7 on October 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Many less than Democrat Wilsons’ WWI,Democrat FDR’s WWII, Democrat Truman’s Korea and Democrat Johnson’s Vietnam (responsible for the massive buildup). Furthermore, your allegation that “W” thought Iraq would be “cheap and easy” is a mindless conclusion with no basis in fact.

rplat on October 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Wow! Wow! Wow! Those numbers are horrible for Obama.

txhsmom on October 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I think that’s “forty”, not “four”. :-)

Greg Q on October 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM

YAHOO NEWS……

Insurers nervous over prospect of Romney victory…

WASHINGTON (AP) — You’d think health insurance CEOs would be chilling the bubbly with Republican Mitt Romney’s improved election prospects, but instead they’re in a quandary.

Although the industry hates parts of President Barack Obama’s health care law, major outfits such as UnitedHealth Group and BlueCross Blue Shield also stand to rake in billions of dollars from new customers who’ll get health insurance under the law. The companies already have invested tens of millions to carry it out.

Were Romney elected, insurers would be in for months of uncertainty as his administration gets used to Washington and tries to make good on his promise repeal Obama’s law. Simultaneously, federal and state bureaucrats and the health care industry would face a rush of legal deadlines for putting into place the major pieces of what Republicans deride as “Obamacare.”

Would they follow the law on the books or the one in the works? What would federal courts tell them to do?

The answers probably would hinge on an always unwieldy Congress.

Things could get grim for the industry if Republicans succeed in repealing the Affordable Care Act’s subsidies and mandates, but leave standing its requirement that insurers cover people with health problems. If that’s the outcome, the industry fears people literally could get health insurance on the way to the emergency room, and that would drive up premiums.

In contrast, Obama’s law is starting to look more and more like a tangible business opportunity. In a little over a year, some 30 million uninsured people will start getting coverage through a mix of subsidized private insurance for middle-class households and expanded Medicaid for low-income people. Many of the new Medicaid recipients would get signed up in commercial managed care companies.

Not one single positive word or two sides of opinion in this ADVOCACY piece by Yahoo.

PappyD61 on October 28, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Ohh, ooh, I wanna see. What’s the title of the diary they’re melting down in?

Flora Duh on October 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I haven’t been there today, I just meant over the past week or so. In any of the “Election” titles, tho, they are in such denial it is almost sad. (Just kidding, I enjoy every minute of it)

There is one woman who is working the phones and swears that when she gets a Republican on the phone, she patiently explains away their objections to Obama, and is making quite a bit of progress with those teabaggers.

Night Owl on October 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Oh look, everybody, Obama CAN address the public on an important issue! As long as it’s one where he stands a snow ball’s chance in hell of not looking like an incompetent a$$hole, like the weather!

Night Owl on October 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM

This Yahoo News article about healthcare/Romney (really the Associated Press and Reuters) show how Minnesota and all other swing states are impacted by their bias.

We need to infiltrate all three of these organizations.

How else will we compete if our voices are not heard in states like Cali/NY/Washington/Oregon/etc. ?

This is what Bush 43 was a disaster at. And what the gop has still not learned to master (getting their message through the smokescreen of the left controlled media in this country).

PappyD61 on October 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM

PappyD61 on October 28, 2012 at 2:49 PM

My husband is in the health insurance industry. I don’t buy this line of garbage a bit. Insurance companies know they will eventually be out of business as Obamacare takes hold over the coming years. From Yahoo News – that’s all I need to know that this article was not completely researched.

traditionalgal on October 28, 2012 at 2:59 PM

PappyD61 on October 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Is your bold key broken?

MJBrutus on October 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Should be last FORTY years I think Ed

southernms on October 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM

How do you get 19? A gap is the difference between A and B. If one heavyweight boxer was 6’2″ and the other was 6’0″, the edge in the height gap would be 2″, not 12’2″.

VorDaj on October 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Minnesota went dem by 3.48% in 2004, 2.4% in 2000, 0.18% in 1984, 3.94% in 1980 and 1.48% in 1960. I suspect that 2012 will be a similar close, but no cigar for the GOP. On the other hand, this is consistent with Obama being down everywhere from 2008. The question is not will he get more support than 2008 (we know the answer to that is no). The question is how much support form 2008 will he lose. If he loses ~6%, then Minn will swing to the GOP.

yetanotherjohn on October 28, 2012 at 3:16 PM

urbane elitist on October 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Sheesh , you’re bought.

CW on October 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Rules of engagement are decided by the generals, not Obama.

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

True, but generals can not go outside the perimeters that a President has set and I believe all of the current joint chiefs have been appointed by quess who?

VorDaj on October 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Aside from the fact that you play azzhole really good, Obama gave the wild ones a deadline for leaving. All they have to do is wait a few years/months. These are animals who wait thousands of years to attain their goals.

This is what I wish on you.

Schadenfreude on October 28, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Totally non-scientific survery, but yesterday, while I was running the 10 Mile Monster Dash through St. Paul, I took a mental count of the number of Dem vs. Rep candidate signs we passed. The race started on Summit Avenue, which has some of the most beautiful late-19th century, early 20th-century houses around. It also has a large number of liberal/Democratic voters. Every yard that had a sign was either for a Dem candidate/No to the marriage amendment/No to Vote ID sign.

Except one.

The house across from the Governor’s Mansion. Which is currently occupied by a Dem, Mark Dayton. The owners had a Romney/Ryan sign, plus yes to both the amendments/laws referenced above, and all Rep candidates.

As you travel west on Summit, you pass St. Thomas and Macalaster Colleges, plus the William Mitchell Law School – this area is heavily college professors, so the signs there were all Dem/lib. But the farther away from that area we went, the fewer signs there were, and I even spied a Romney/Ryan sign on a yard in Highland Park, which is another lib bastion of St. Paul.

This past week, I have received three polling calls (Sorry I can’t recall which pollster called). My suspicions are that the last was for Obama, since when I told the pollster that I was voting for Romney, she asked if I was “absolutely sure”. When I replied in the affirmative, she sounded a bit stressed.

Ygritte on October 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Cheers.

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

you conveniently forget to mention that yes the generals do set the terms of engagement for their troops but they do so AT THE DIRECTION of the CIC. and whats more is that even if they didnt do it at his behest Obamma STILL OWNS THE FAILURE as all military personael are required to learn the chain of command and it is made clear that as per chain of command the President is the ipso facto top of the food chain buddy. the buck stops with him in ALL military matters , so even if his pet generals did this without his consent he still failed in his duty to put a stop to it.

katee bayer on October 28, 2012 at 3:43 PM

It’s to good to be true so I’m going to remain skeptical for now, no matter how much I relish the idea of Obama putting all his eggs in Ohio and narrowly winning the state while Romney does an end run, wins everything else and returns Bam to private life.

alchemist19 on October 28, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Pic of the Day: Too Close To Call

Resist We Much on October 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

All I wish for is 300+

Schadenfreude on October 28, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Poor Trolls. Americans are making a choice of Class Vs. Crass.

kingsjester on October 28, 2012 at 4:00 PM

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Ahh yes, the Liberal shibboleth of stupid.

98ZJUSMC on October 28, 2012 at 4:04 PM

You also have to count all the dead and invisible people who voted for Al Franken as votes for Obama. That might be enough to give him the state (just as it put Franken into Coleman’s office).

sabbahillel on October 28, 2012 at 4:11 PM

mark81150 on October 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Very, very well done, sir.

98ZJUSMC on October 28, 2012 at 4:19 PM

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Translation: I’m getting the living crap beat out of me. Feets don’t fail me now.

98ZJUSMC on October 28, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I love seeing this possible win but having devoted 1000s of hours (volunteer) trying to keep MN elections sort of fair, I’ll believe it when I see it.

We have massive problems with ABs; nursing homes; dead people on the SOS voting roles and a high potential for double voting. I won’t say how for obvious reasons but our election law is some of the loosest in the nation. Add to that, vouching and NO provisional ballot system, our results are always questionable. See, vouchees w/o ID vote and their votes count.

For the record, I honestly believe Coleman won 2008. The last nail in the coffin occurred on the first day of the recount when SOS changed the rules as to which ballots should be counted.

It’s bad here, really bad.

MN J on October 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM

urban elitist on October 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

You are a f&*@#ng creep.

tom daschle concerned on October 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

that is the truth.

ted c on October 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Particularly if it is because he is too busy getting ready for his fundraiser in the morning, and then lies non-stop about his actions for the next 6 weeks.

talkingpoints on October 28, 2012 at 4:57 PM

urbane effetist on October 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

WWI – Entered into at the 2:00 minute warning by a Democrat.

WWII – No brainer.

Korea – Entered into by a Democrat. Wrestled to a tie by a Republican.

Vietnam – Entered into under suspicious circustances by a Democrat. Exited by a Republican.

Gulf I – Republican Enter. Republican Win.

Gulf II – Iraq won by Republican. Victory Lap preformed by a Democrat.

—–
Was there anything else?

98ZJUSMC on October 28, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Via @numbersmuncher:

DEVELOPING: Senior Romney national campaign official tells MN GOP a visit to MN by Romney and/or Ryan for campaign rallies being considered.

Their internals must be…SPECTACULAR!

Rational Thought on October 28, 2012 at 5:17 PM

urban elitist

Typical liberal….still got a bit of that slavery bug running through your veins, don’t you? Old habits die hard I guess.

Or at least tax themselves enough to pay for it?

And a touch of the lying bug as well. Again, pretty typical of libs, so no surprise there either.

xblade on October 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM

If you steal it, like in 2000, we will be cranky.

urban enema

What was stolen in 2000, the few working brain cells you had left?

xblade on October 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM

New PPP poll in NH shows Obama +2, 49-47.

gumbyandpokey on October 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM

By the way Ed, congratulations on the promotion of this post on the RCP main page!

22044 on October 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM

gumbyandpokey on October 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM

And the poll I’ve taken all week, at work and at church, shows that your messiah is toast.

kingsjester on October 28, 2012 at 5:48 PM

New PPP Daily Kos poll in NH shows Obama +2, 49-47.

gumbyandpokey on October 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM

FIFY.

Your Troll Fu is very weak.

98ZJUSMC on October 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

New PPP poll in NH shows Obama +2, 49-47.

gumbyandpokey on October 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM

My condolences to Obama.

Mitsouko on October 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM

As a frequent visitor to Minnesota, I don’t think the strib has ever has a poll with anything but a lefty blowout. Strib’s polls are the things of much comedic relief. In fact, I’m not sure the strib managenment doesn’t qualify for being insane or recklessly indifferent to truth by continually publishing their fantasy polls.

Old Country Boy on October 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM

New PPP poll in NH shows Obama +2, 49-47.

gumbyandpokey on October 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM

In other words, Romney’s ahead. Got it, friend.

Red Cloud on October 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM

New PPP poll in NH shows Obama +2, 49-47.

gumbyandpokey on October 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM

And only had to shift party ID six points bluer to get it.

Chuck Schick on October 28, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Via @numbersmuncher:

Their internals must be…SPECTACULAR!

Rational Thought on October 28, 2012 at 5:17 PM

If it happens….Please let it be a day I can get off of work. Please let it be a day I can get off of work.

gophergirl on October 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM

And only had to shift party ID six points bluer to get it.

Chuck Schick on October 28, 2012 at 6:23 PM

He never acknowledges that.

ShadowsPawn on October 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM

gophergirl on October 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM

You and me both!

Ygritte on October 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Gumby and Ras and ARG have Romney ahead. ES.

CW on October 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM