Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:31 am on October 28, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

It’s time again to shake off our amnesia, go to the videotape, and choose the Obamateurism of the Week!  Each week, we have to choose the most (least?) optimal presidential gaffe highlighted by this blog — me! — as the week’s winner.  This is one indicator that has actually boomed during Obama’s term in office, and shows no sign of recession.

Previous weekly “winners” in 2012:

Previous Obamateurisms of the Year:

• Giving 2 minutes of “shout-outs” before getting to the Fort Hood shooting (2009)
  • Obama leaves Clinton at press conference podium on tax deal to attend Christmas party (2010)
  • “I would put our legislative and foreign policy accomplishments in our first two years against any president— with the possible exceptions of Johnson, F.D.R., and Lincoln.” (2011)

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Comments

OPTIMAL

cmsinaz on October 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM

ME

antisocial on October 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I’m voting twice today. Not optimal and then for this nation me…my administration.

ted c on October 28, 2012 at 9:33 AM

A banner week! all could be winners.

FORWARD!!!

FOWG1 on October 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM

BTW, Ed. Tyrone Woods’ father made a to-the-camera statement to Obama last night on Fox. It was powerful. He forgave Obama and urged him to take responsibility.

ted c on October 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM

ted c on October 28, 2012 at 9:33 AM

i know it….tough

cmsinaz on October 28, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Reelecting this moron is not optimal!

PatMac on October 28, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Joe the Boob’s cue balls comment deserves a mention too.

Flange on October 28, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Although the Americans killed is the most offensive, I had to go with “stage three Romnesia” as an indication of how ridiculous the man has become since at one time being lauded as “the most important orator since Caesar” (which is a direct quote from a literary magazine in 2008).

Marcus on October 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Ras Sunday

R 50
O 47

bgibbs1000 on October 28, 2012 at 9:37 AM

“If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal.”

Easy call.

Imagine if someone said that about your son or daughter.

No apology.

Their murder was not optimal.

Optimal for what?

My re-election.

And you wonder why Ty’s friends and family are pissing napalm? You would be too.

CorporatePiggy on October 28, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Marcus on October 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM

heads up, dear leader will be on morning joe tomorrow…mika drool fest to commence

cmsinaz on October 28, 2012 at 9:38 AM

What will be optimal is seeing Barry FIRED and hopefully “put in chains”.

NY Conservative on October 28, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Always a difficult decision. Ultimately I went with “optimal”. Though I think “the nation, me, my administration” encapsulates this hubris-laden debacle in a nutshell.

Grace_is_sufficient on October 28, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Is losing the 2012 election going to be an Obamateurism?

All are great but four. That’s just campaign lying. I went with the heartless reference to our dead. Optimal.

But what drives me crazy (and I’m sure the realization of this gives the trolls much satifaction at our expense) is the fact that the media ignores it. In the same week just two before the elections, would the media have ignored Bush saying, ““If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal.” or Cheney saying, ““Did your son always have balls the size of cue balls?”

My God. You cannot imagine the rage in my soul at these two and specifically Biden, to … his … father!

hawkdriver on October 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Had to go with the first one (OPTIMAL), but ‘this nation, me, my administration’ is a very close second. The ME ME ME is what leads the buffoon to make such callous remarks. And almost certainly to have made the callous decision to leave the four non-optimal now dead Americans to die, rather than to attempt any intervention.

I hope he’s impeached for that.

ProfessorMiao on October 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Sort of O/T but not, something I was thinking of and wrote out earlier today and posted on FB, here is the cut n paste:

I have a theory regarding all this…what IF the whole scenario was staged…set up if you will, NOT for political gain but political FACE SAVING? Follow me here, and this is just a crazy idea that flashed across my at times feeble mind. The fact is that on Nov. 6th President 0bama is likely to go down in a defeat not seen since the Carter era. Now modern liberal dogma posits that ANY failure of liberal/progressive policy or ideology CAN NOT be due to the inherent drawbacks and failures of the system/ideology itself, therefore an excuse, a reason if you will MUST be put forward that would shield said liberal/progressive mindthought from having the failure at its core from the light of day. What better way for President 0bama to “loose gracefully” than in an atmosphere of scandal and foreign policy/militaristic incompetency as opposed the the reality that 0bama will lose because socialism and progressive policy have NEVER…ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET been successful… in effect the Bhengazie debacle provides cover for their failed ideology and the wasted (some would say stolen) trillions of dollars of taxpayer monies and also the continuing malaise in the economic and job sectors. Think about it…whether your thought aligns with leftward/rightward or non committal political thinking.

NY Conservative on October 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM

“If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal.”

OmahaConservative on October 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM

“… this nation, me, my administration …”

L’etat, c’est moi …. – Barry Ø’Bama

ExpressoBold on October 28, 2012 at 9:42 AM

hawkdriver on October 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think I can.

ProfessorMiao on October 28, 2012 at 9:42 AM

…this nation, me…

I still say this will be the title of his upcoming memoirs, which I am hoping he will have plenty of time to write since it is my sincerest hope his sorry rear end is defeated in a major landslide in a couple of weeks!

pilamaye on October 28, 2012 at 9:42 AM

The optimal choice here was obvious.

The optimal choice a week from Tuesday will be as well.

backwoods conservative on October 28, 2012 at 9:42 AM

“If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal.”

Obama’s an SOB. On Comedy Central, of all places, to add insult to deaths…

Fallon on October 28, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Joe the Boob’s cue balls comment deserves a mention too.

Flange on October 28, 2012 at 9:35 AM

That man is just sick, isn’t he? Only a complete moron would think that was an appropriate thing to say to someone who’d just lost a son. And the MSM yawns.

scalleywag on October 28, 2012 at 9:49 AM

There’s got to be a cartoon that shows Obama overboard struggling in a sea of voter discontent with a member of the crew about to jump in to save him but the captain stops them saying “You don’t deploy forces into harm’s way without knowing what’s going on”.

Speakup on October 28, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Man, this was TOUGHIE this week! I had to go with ME simply because it reflects the utter arrogance of Nobama. He thinks the US, no, the world revolves around him. If ever we had a president who, in his heart, believed he should be addressed and revered as Your Majesty, Obama is the one. November 6 and January 20 can’t come soon enough.

rpjkw11 on October 28, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Had to go with his suicidal ‘don’t call my bluff’ check the video request. I already know he’s a d-bag for the way he preens on the hip late shows trying to impress the kids. I already know he is in full CYA mode and will not get bailed out by the CIA. But when he plays the Gary Hart card and immediately gets buried with video evidence that he simply must not believes gets remembered or stored anywhere…that’s the OOTW for me.

Sadly, the ‘not optimal’ comment is just another piece of video in the evidence against pile.

CitizenEgg on October 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM

There really should be ten choices and win, place, and show votes for the weekly Obamateurisms.

farsighted on October 28, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Something just struck me after seeing today’s OOTW selections. Juxtaposing #1 the “not optimal” with #3 the “this nation, me..my administration” comments are revealing. On one hand, Obama claims ownership of and equates himself, the nation and his administration as a trinity, a trivium, and a related entity, however, when our nation, our SEALs, our ambassador, our embassy is in dire straits, Captain Homeslice is nowhere to be found.

Chicago basketball foodstamp previously referenced that the abortion argument was “above his paygrade” yet is passing off responsibility for protecting our nation in the field to whomever he can wipe the booger on—Hillary, Leon, Petraeus, fog of war, them “folks” or whatever else. So he conveniently gets to reference what is and both isn’t his damn job.

ted c on October 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I guess it doesn’t quite fit the category, but it seems a bit amateurish that Obama has gone to the typical Democrat “I’m working so hard for my reelection you that I’ve gone hoarse” voice about a week earlier than usual.

RW_theoriginal on October 28, 2012 at 10:00 AM

ted c on October 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM

On Judge Janine Piero (I spelled that wrong, I know but I’m using a notebook and it’s propped up precariously, can’t correct/spell check easily)…show from yesterday.

I scanned FOX for a video of it but didn’t quickly see, but maybe it’ll be there by Monday. It’s an appearance and speech that should be seen by EVERYone.

Lourdes on October 28, 2012 at 10:01 AM

ted c on October 28, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Ah, ted…

Got a little of the old Chicago Democrat in ya, eh?

Vote early, and vote often.

turfmann on October 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM

…the first one…he was parroting a word the interviewer used when he didn’t have his trusty teleprompter…I went with the last one… since a video of JugEars WOULD show a different clown talking… 10-12 months or 10-12 days ago.

KOOLAID2 on October 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Can’t vote. This time they’re all good.

ElectricPhase on October 28, 2012 at 10:04 AM

To me, the gas price comment was the most glaring. The “optimal” comment was a response to the questioner using that word. It was not the optimal choice of words but it just didn’t make me roll my eyes that much. Now I know what it feels like to be in a minority. I’m so oppressed!

swinia sutki on October 28, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I went with the heartless reference to our dead. Optimal.

hawkdriver on October 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM

They’re not ‘ignoring’ it, they’re SUPPRESSING it. And it’s a media plan they’re following in keeping with Axelrod/Obama/TheAwful administration’s media operations. It’s intentional “black out” of the issue in almost certain process of trying to rewrite it, meaning they’ll all burst out with some “big coverage” once they’ve got their rewrite done that glorifies Obama in dishonest terms.

Lourdes on October 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM

The same guy who voted to let babies die in utility closets.
That’s good to know.

vityas on October 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Joe the Boob’s cue balls comment deserves a mention too.

Flange on October 28, 2012 at 9:35 AM

scalleywag on October 28, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Yes, Biden really is mentally ill. Brain damage is almost certainly his problem. But whatever Happy Pills he’s taking are keeping him going as Media Darling of the epoch so they’re finding his deragement entertaining.

Lourdes on October 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I can see him sitting there in the Situation Room, Hmmm, not too optimal, I think I’ll head for bed.

JimK on October 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM

scalleywag on October 28, 2012 at 9:49 AM

And every stupid thing he does and said needs to be attached to obozo. Joe being Joe is not an acceptable excuse.

Flange on October 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Two “strategic misjudgments” the administration has made: First is the refusal to accept that the terrorism threat is part of a larger problem of Islamist extremism. And second is the belief that terrorism is spawned not by religious fanaticism but by grievances about social, economic, and other problems for which America bears fault.

J_Crater on October 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM

JimK on October 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Jarrett will have made the call and said ‘They will have to take their chances, the optics of us doing anything would be bad. Now Bammy, go get some rest.’

CorporatePiggy on October 28, 2012 at 10:14 AM

What will be optimal is seeing Barry FIRED and hopefully “put in chains”.

NY Conservative on October 28, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacist!

ManlyRash on October 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Hee Hee

Mitt within 3 in MN

Strib poll

gophergirl on October 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM

JimK on October 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Maybe O thought his assets in Benghazi were expendable, doing it the Chicago way. What could go wrong? The insurgents were the bad guys and they would take the blame.

Or he is just an incompetent leader and can’t make tough decisions.

Either way, he should not be leading this country.

Pazman on October 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM

“If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal.”

I thought Biden’s “cue balls” remark was even worse. Didn’t our VP also suffer the loss of his wife and child many years ago? After having gone through that ….he of all people should know how to attempt to offer some words of comfort to a grieving parent. The lack of wisdom and grace that he displayed in that moment with Mr. Woods is rather astonishing.

lynncgb on October 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Went with Optimal.

But this change to “FORWARD!” …

It’s like he’s yelling at us, in all caps and an exclamation … it’s their idea of being forceful.

They have no idea of “quiet strength” of Bush or Reagan or Clint has/had.

Typicalwhitewoman on October 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM

NY Conservative on October 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM

If true, doesn’t it just validate ALL our concerns about their agenda?

OkieDoc on October 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM

“Klein also said that those same sources said that former President Bill Clinton has been “urging” his wife [Hillary] to release official State Department documents that prove she called for additional security at the compound in Libya, which would almost certainly result in President Obama losing the election.

Klein explained that everyone knew what was happening in Benghazi from the CIA to the National Security Agency and that there’s intelligence cables that have not been released.

Wilkow asked, “If everybody knew this including the White House, who would have given the order to go in and save the ambassador?”

Klein, “The President…he should have given the order to use the rapid reaction force…”

Wilkow, “Not Petraeus?”

Klein, “Well it has to come from the president.”

Wilkow also asked Klein about Valerie Jarrett who’s the Senior Advisor to Obama and Assistant to the President for Public Engagement and Intergovernmental Affairs, and her role in this cover-up.

Klein said, “We don’t know but we can only assume that every action that the president takes, and he said so, he is on the record saying “I don’t take any actions without passing it by Valerie Jarrett”… so we have to assume that Valerie Jarrett whose also by the way, hooked into the Chicago campaign line…she has a direct line to David Axlerod, was a part of this whole cover-up in the White House.”

This latest news comes on the heels when the Paulding County Republican Examiner reported that former CIA officer, Clare Lopez was a guest on the Glenn Beck TV on Monday evening and told Beck, “They let our ambassador and others die. In real time, watching it happen, and they didn’t do anything about it.”

workingclass artist on October 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Picked the 10 yo video of “ME” because he is the same as he was then and he’s giving us the middle finger by saying this. He’s the same then as he is now and ‘you guys are a bunch of dopes for not seeing it and electing me in the first place’.

Kissmygrits on October 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Hee Hee

Mitt within 3 in MN

Strib poll

gophergirl on October 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM

You’re just in a good mood because of yesterday’s win. : )

Woe is Purdue.

listens2glenn on October 28, 2012 at 10:30 AM

You’re just in a good mood because of yesterday’s win. : )

Woe is Purdue.

listens2glenn on October 28, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I didn’t even see the game except the last 2 minutes. Was pleasantly shocked I have to say.

gophergirl on October 28, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Between Optimal and I, me, mine. I chose Benghazi. Barky’s criminal incompetence makes me more disgusted every day. I pray we end his bumbling, inept reign at the polls in less than 2 weeks.

Philly on October 28, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Say what you will about Kennedy, Johnson or Nixon, but never once were American deaths in VietNam ever referred to as…”not optimal”.

Solaratov on October 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM

OT: On Friday, the Chicago Tribune came out endorsing Obama for another four years!

I’m shocked, I tell you! Just shocked! (sic)

pilamaye on October 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM

The gutsy Vagyna Candidate

FlaMurph on October 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Regime change Nov 6 would be Optimal.

Kenosha Kid on October 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Can’t decide this week, all are thread winners.

I think we need to take a different tack with this. Obutthead’s complete, entire term has been the worst Obamatuerism there could possibly be. The guy is unqualified and ill-suited to be President of this country. And four years of on-the-job training has done little to assuage those deficiencies.

The denouement is the Libya fiasco. Ill-prepared for it, cannot make the correct decision, watches Americans be killed by terrorists in real time, lies about it to cover his ass, then lies some more about it and sends his proxies out to lie about it some more. What more evidence is required to show that he is unqualified and ill-suited to be a leader?

Jim Jones was able to lead hundreds of people willingly to their deaths. He was a mentally ill madman, with delusions of grandeur that enabled him to make people do what he wanted them to do. He is the closest simile to Obutthead that I can think of. I beg this nation—DO NOT DRINK THE KOOL-AID.

NOMOBO on October 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM

These are always so difficult.

John the Libertarian on October 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I was looking for either “binders, bayonets or Big Bird”…

Khun Joe on October 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I’m shocked, I tell you! Just shocked! (sic)

pilamaye on October 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM

…the fish wrap Detroit Free Press went for JugEars today…anti-climax!

KOOLAID2 on October 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Obama just repeated Stewart’s word “optimal.” That’s not a real Obamateurism.

Gas prices high now because of booming economy? That’s amateur.

itsnotaboutme on October 28, 2012 at 11:23 AM

They are all quite stupid but I have to go with the death of patriots being “not optimal”. Sort of like his whole tenure.

Cindy Munford on October 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Jon Stewart able to lead Obama into an intentional gaffe.

Amateur hour when a professional can do that to you.

ajacksonian on October 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I vote: Idiot.

davidk on October 28, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I love that picture of Obama looking over his shoulder. lol

ThePrez on October 28, 2012 at 11:45 AM

This pResident is not optimal.

Sasha List on October 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Another reason to pray for an R&R victory.
These Obamateurisms are seriously becoming parodies.

RedCrow on October 28, 2012 at 11:56 AM

When Obama is your CIC it’s not optimal.

profitsbeard on October 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM

When you factor in Obama’s inability to understand 8th grade math, his economic policies make a weird kind of sense. Particularly, the “You have to borrow and spend so you don’t go bankrupt.” statement.

jukin3 on October 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I just wanted to post ED this picture from the DM Register with Obama looking back dejected is great. Keep using it!

Conan on October 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM

This Chicago Mafia administration,this national nightmare that started Jan 20,2009 a day that will live in infamy,DEFINITELY NOT OPTIMAL!!

jeffinsjvca on October 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Is the stage 3 comment a reference to cancer? I find this offensive .

newportmike on October 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM

All are good but you have to go with optimal…

(the ONE that will bring them all down)

golfmann on October 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM

He forgave Obama and urged him to take responsibility.

ted c on October 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Did Obama ask for his forgiveness ?

burrata on October 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Is there such a thing as a professional amateur?

I nominate Obama. He’s alone in the field.

Don L on October 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I can see him sitting there in the Situation Room, Hmmm, not too optimal, I think I’ll head for bed….

JimK on October 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM

….call me if anything important happens”

jackhole.

rottenrobbie on October 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Obama just repeated Stewart’s word “optimal.” That’s not a real Obamateurism.

itsnotaboutme on October 28, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I don’t think most people bothered to see the interview or they’d know that. OTOH the audience for that show was one of the most moronic I’ve ever seen, extrememly irritating, and the prez was lying through his teeth. It’s just he just commits enough real outrages in the course of a week (a day or two is enough) for me to get excited about this one. His lies about the video, his behavior to the families, Benghazi has no shortage of real outrages. Same with Fast and Furious. May he get everything I wish for him.

Shay on October 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM

The Video tape comment is a Flat Out Lie, not an Obamaturism.

jaydee_007 on October 28, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Voted for “not optimal”, but acknowledge that the gas price comment is one of the stupidest things ever said by a sitting president.

IdrilofGondolin on October 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM

All worthy, but only one can be the OoTW. I finally went with the “not optimal” comment. This was worthy of an Obamateurism because, even though he was parroting back what the host had said, it is indicative of the amateurishness of this man and his lack of understanding of the magnitude of the office he holds. Yes, the host made the comment about “optimal”; but a serious president on a matter of this nature would not have made the kind of flip, off-the-cuff remark Jugears made, a mature president would have weighed his words and made a statement that fit the gravity of the situation.

AZfederalist on October 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM

AZfederalist on October 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM

A mature human being wouldn’t be on a comedy show right after an American Ambassador was slaughtered, -period.

profitsbeard on October 28, 2012 at 5:29 PM

IdrilofGondolin on October 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM

“Not optimal” is the most disgusting, but the gas prices comment is one of the biggest lies Ovomit has made up so far. It just gets worse.

JannyMae on October 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM

That was a tough choice… went with “optimal”, although the gas thing was really stupid – my jaw dropped when I heard him say that.

dukecitygirl on October 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I’m going to miss these threads. Less than 3 months left.

SomeCallMeJohn on October 29, 2012 at 6:41 AM

itsnotaboutme on October 28, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Shay on October 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I saw the video of the exchange. I’m not sure how you two think obama repeating Stewart’s comment into the context of his statement gives him a pass. It’s as heartless as Biden’s comment regardless of who brought it up.

hawkdriver on October 29, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Hawk, I heard Obama say it’s “not optimal for me.”

BigAlSouth on October 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM