NFL Week 8 open thread

posted at 11:56 am on October 28, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Last week, the Steelers defense finally played a shut-down game, and against a pretty good Cincinnati Bengals team on the road, too.  Pittsburgh dominated on all aspects of the game, thanks in part to the emergence of Jonathan Dwyer playing in place of injured RB Rashard Mendenhall.  He’ll be back against the Washington Redskins at Heinz Field, where the Steelers have yet to lose.  Don’t expect them to lose today, either.  They’ll beat RGIII and the Redskins in a physical effort, 20-10.

I had a pretty good Week 7, going 5-1 for the second week in a row, and only losing on my upset pick of Detroit over Chicago.  I’m now 27-15 for the season.  Can I pull a hat trick?

• Giants at Cowboys – New York got off to a rocky start, but they’re back to playing championship-level football again.  The Cowboys have been inconsistent at best.  I’d expect Eli Manning to lead the G-men past the ‘Boys, 27-20.
  • Saints at Broncos – New Orleans is one of the real conundrums of this season.  They’re just as talented as last year, but they can’t quite make the finish line.  They’ve won their last two games, but Peyton Manning is 6-0 in his last six games after bye weeks, and he’s just getting tuned up.  The Broncos should win at home, 35-31, but it may come down to the last drive.
  • Falcons at Eagles – Atlanta puts the last unbeaten record on the line in Philadelphia, and the line has the Eagles by three.  They’ve played sloppy, turnover-filled football so far this season, led by a snake-bit Michael Vick.  I can’t see them getting their act together in time to stop Atlanta, who should win in a shootout, 38-28.
  • 49ers at Cardinals — Which of these teams is more for real?  I’m betting (in a Bidenesque “literally” sense, not literally literally) that it’s San Francisco.  They need to exert some dominance in their division, which has become the most improved in the NFL, and I’d call it 27-24 for the 49ers, possibly in OT.
  • Patriots at Rams — I could ask the same question here.  St. Louis has improved its play over the last couple of years, especially at home, where they have all three of their wins this season.  New England has looked sloppy and perhaps a bit old this year, and they’re 2-2 on the road.  The line has the Pats up by seven, but I’ll pick this as my upset of the week.  Rams over Pats, 24-20.

Comments

Wet field here today. Hope that slows down #RGIII

reddevil on October 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Just to keep this Halloween weekend from being too scary for NFL teams, the Houston Texans are on their bye! Everyone can breathe easy!

cartooner on October 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM

cartooner on October 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Including Green Bay?

chewmeister on October 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I got everything right last week, with the exception of the Jags-Raiders game (curse you, Raiders-nation!).

I’ll take Saints over Broncos (I think a close game, but goes the other way) and (my beloved) Pats over the Rams. The Patriots have exhibited incredible variance in their play this season. Half of the time they look like a Super Bowl caliber team, and the other half they look like the 0-16 Lions of a few seasons back. And I’ll scream if they don’t fire / run-over repeatedly, McCourty. That guy keeps screwing up in crucial situations.

Past that, you’re on the money, Ed.

Stoic Patriot on October 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Ed, forgot to mention possible all time horrendous uniforms by Steelers today. Yikes! Maybe they’ll look better in the light of day.

reddevil on October 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

reddevil on October 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Still not as bad as the old Eagles uniforms.

Stoic Patriot on October 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM

When doesn’t Ed pick the Stealers?

WV. Paul on October 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Dwyer definitely reminds me a bit of The Bus; nice to see the Stillers get back to the running game.

Scott P on October 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM

The Cowboys have been inconsistent at best

Not at all. Tony Romo can consistently throw a perfect pass…to the opposing team’s receiver.

CorporatePiggy on October 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I have a feeling the Jaguars will humiliate my city again.

joekenha on October 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Pappys Pigskin Picks of the week.

Amazon Nanny Staters over the Tomy Romo cowgirls…..shocker/not.

New Orrlins Pagans versus the long neck Orange ponies….go with the long neckid old quarterback to school the cheater boys from the Bayou.

The bird game. way overrated georgia birds versus the 8-1 Obama voting birds from Philly. Will never ever pick Philly again.

Golden state LGBT Golddiggers against somebody. Gotta go gay. 9ers for the win.

Pats versus the mountain goats from Los Angeles (oh sorry St. Louis right?). Romneys’ Patriots ride the Rams.

There ya go.

PappyD61 on October 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I gave up watching football about 25 years ago. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Dasher on October 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Ed: as long as you’re picking the Rams, shouldn’t you be picking Obama to win also?

Khun Joe on October 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Are you calling the Ram game a home game ??? London Rams ??

chango butt on October 28, 2012 at 12:25 PM

The San Diego Chargers will score BIG in the first half……..

…..then let the Browns walk away with the game in the second half….

(sigh)

Vntnrse on October 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Today, my valiant Lions take on–

Oh, never mind!

RedCrow on October 28, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Ed never picks against the Steelers, because he’s a Steelers fan.
I say Steelers 27, Redskins 10.
The Steelers are wearing their 1934 throwback bumblebee prison outfits today.

22044 on October 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM

reddevil on October 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I don’t think they will look any better in the light of day. I bet the team feels the way that kid in “Christmas Story” felt when his mother made him wear those bunny pajamas.

When doesn’t Ed pick the Stealers?

WV. Paul on October 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM

When they aren’t playing! As an example, you’ll note he didn’t pick them to win the Giants/Cowboys game.

Go Steelers!

Night Owl on October 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Are you calling the Ram game a home game ??? London Rams ??

chango butt on October 28, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Good point, the Rams are listed as the home team, but the game isn’t in St. Louis.

22044 on October 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Including Green Bay?

chewmeister on October 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Especially Green Bay! If we meet in the Super Bowl…well, they better pray they don’t.

;-)

cartooner on October 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM

LOL!!! Just saw the Stealers’ throw back uniforms! They look like GIANT BUMBLEBEES!!!

Vntnrse on October 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

reddevil on October 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Still not as bad as the old Eagles uniforms.

Stoic Patriot on October 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM

IMO the chain gang bumblebee look is the worst ever.

Brat on October 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

CorporatePiggy on October 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Last year Romo was better than the Cowboys. This year it looks like he’s regressed.

22044 on October 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

GO STEELERS!!!!

ladyingray on October 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM

PappyD61 on October 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Saints didn’t cheat, Pappy. They had no higher incidence of illegal hits than the average NFL team during the period covered by the “bounty” play.

Paying someone extra to hit really hard is not cheating.

Winning 7 Tours-des-France by doping… THAT’S cheating.

So go sit on it.

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM

22044 on October 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

It actually looks like he’s on the take.

I know some people who worked with him who assure me he is a felon.

/Harry Reid
/DWS

CorporatePiggy on October 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM

WOW – that Steeler uni may truly be the ugly football uniform in history.

Did the good folk of Pittsburgh get into some spoiled grain or something back then?

Those unis actually call for eye bleach

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM

This week I’m a lions fan – pummel the Seahags

Green_Bay_Packers on October 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM

It actually looks like he’s on the take.

I know some people who worked with him who assure me he is a felon.

/Harry Reid
/DWS

CorporatePiggy on October 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Heh.
Out: It must be true, because I read it on the Internet
In: It must be true, because Harry Reid or Deranged Wasserman Schultz told me

22044 on October 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Saints play their first game under the new interim head coach – Joe Vitt.

What a ridiculous, Rube-Goldberg punishment: take all kind of random, arbitrary and capricious actions to destabilize the whole franchise for a whole season. So now the interim interim head coach gives way and so more adjustments must ne made, just as the Saints finally put 2 wins together.

Roger Goodell is just plain weird.

If he thinks he’s going to come to New Orleans for the Super Bowl and be greeted with Southern hospitality, he’s got another think coming.

Pissed-off Cajuns are not the safest people to trust with cooking your food.

He’d better fly in some Swanson TV dinners and stay in his hotel room with his own oxygen supply if he expects to make it out of New Orleans alive.

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Rams over Pats

Says the ex-Rams fan. Heh.

Christien on October 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

About to watch the Pats/Rams game and Romney had a nice ad at 12:59pm right before the national anthem. It had clips of Romney bitch-slapping Obozo in the 1st debate. Winning!

Wigglesworth on October 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

About to watch the Pats/Rams game and Romney had a nice ad at 12:59pm right before the national anthem. It had clips of Romney slamming Obozo in the 1st debate. Winning!

Wigglesworth on October 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

America NEEDS to see Tom Brady have a losing season. NEEDS IT! Just sayin’.

abobo on October 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM

The steelers jerseys — um,

What prison are they being furloughed from?!?

Green_Bay_Packers on October 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM

What the hell are the Steelers wearing?

All I can think of is Tigger in Winnie the Pooh.

BacaDog on October 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM

The steelers jerseys — um,

What prison are they being furloughed from?!?

Green_Bay_Packers on October 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Those uniforms are from back when the official team name was the “Pittsburgh Stealers.”

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

reddevil on October 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

The Packers are suited up.

:D

whatcat on October 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Maybe those uniforms were designed to look better with 3D glasses.

Or something

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Good luck Miami secondary, may you get 5 picks today. Since someone has to do it I will. Go [top rated QB in college history upon his draft]!!!

airmonkey on October 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM

You are impressive. They should have had you on the defense team that represented Murder Incorporated or helping Buddy Ryan in Philadelphia. For some reason. there is lots of trouble for paying to get other people hurt.

Sure, bonus bucks for knocking Peyton Manning around is fair. Someone should have told the other teams to take the same tactic toward the NO skill players.

I am sure the NO players and fans would have been fine with it.

Steelers

I was laughed at for predicting a nascent Steeler running game last
week.

The Washington sports media is sold on a Redskins win.

They also thought that O would save the country.

The guys with the ugly old unis will romp today.

IlikedAUH2O on October 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Hatin’ on the Steelers’ bumblebee look.

Just had to tell somebody that.

(Doesn’t seem to be slowing them down, however.)

J.E. Dyer on October 28, 2012 at 1:13 PM

OK, true football story here for your entertainment.

My grandpa grew up in the sticks of Louisiana.

He was 6’2 as a high-school senior and strapping, so the coach approached him to play this game called “football.” He said sure, why not. He’d heard of it but didn’t know anything about it. This was about 1925.

So they took him out on the field lined him up, told him that when they handed him the ball, to run thataway.

QB handed him the ball and he took off.

By the time the play ended all you could see was fists and my grandpa had already clocked a couple players and knocked them on their butts and was busy punching several more in the face and beating up the whole defense.

After they broke it up, the coach asked “what the hell?”

He said, “all I know is that I did what you said, and I was running and all those guys jumped on top of me!”

So he didn’t play football.

True story.

:-)

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Heh.

He was Force Recon before there was Force Recon.

CorporatePiggy on October 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Today, my valiant Lions take on–

Oh, never mind!

RedCrow on October 28, 2012 at 12:34 PM

…stay strong brother!…stay strong!
LIONS…TIGERS…and ? ha ha!

KOOLAID2 on October 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Who do we like in Detroit tonight? Pulling for the Giants. Let’s get this thing wrapped up soon.

How about a World Series thread like last year?

Vatican Watcher on October 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Falcons at Eagles – Atlanta puts the last unbeaten record on the line in Philadelphia, and the line has the Eagles by three. They’ve played sloppy, turnover-filled football so far this season, led by a snake-bit Michael Vick. I can’t see them getting their act together in time to stop Atlanta, who should win in a shootout, 38-28.

Good you ignored Andy Reid’s unbeaten streak after a bye week, because he will sustain his first loss today.

goflyers on October 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

How about a World Series thread like last year?

Vatican Watcher on October 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM

4 game sweep.

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Good luck with that New England pick, Ed.

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

The Packers are suited up.

:D

whatcat on October 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM

LOL! That is so much better than the Steelers. /sarc

Night Owl on October 28, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I’m glad you showed up! I went to your blog and added it to my favorites! As a Steelers fan, I just don’t know what to say about those outfits.

Night Owl on October 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Steelers score on 5 out of 6 possessions so far and lead 27-9. Woo hoo!

22044 on October 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Go Steelers, Stealers, Steelerz…whatever you want to call em….

–screw the jealous haters. The Steelers are the best franchise in the last 35 years.

CW on October 28, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Man, is it Tebow time yet? I know nothing about the game – just saw the “MIA 27 NYJ 3″ score on the bottom of my TV.

Yikes

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM

So I just watched the replay of Miami blocking the Jets’ punt and returning it for a TD. The announcers diagrammed it and blamed Tebow for not picking up the rusher and allowing the TD.

This really brings the lunacy into focus.

Jets sign a QB with a lifetime winning record in the NFL, the current QB can’t win his way out of a paper bag and here Tebow is instead as the punt protector…. a job he’s not well-trained for?

Oy. Bad stuff.

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM

If I were a Jets fan right now, I’d go down into the nearest subway before it closes tonight for the hurricane, hole up in a closet with a bottle of Thunderbird, and wait for the end.

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 3:24 PM

RG3 throwin helium balls. His recievers dropped 9 so far!! A record this year.

OkieDoc on October 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Hmmm. Is AP reading this?

22044 on October 28, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Tebow recovered the onside kick. now sanchez will blow it.

the jets are determined to go down the rat hole with sanchez, yikes.

renalin on October 28, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I’m wondering where everyone is?
Haven’t seen a Sunday NFL thread this deserted since I can remember.

I was hoping to get some opinions on the various games :(

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 4:05 PM

…Lions!…Last minute!
I hate the Sea Hawks coach!
Didn’t like him in college…and don’t like him now!

KOOLAID2 on October 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Sanchez with a 68.1 QB rating….. 26 for 49.

Tebow one carry in the entire game… for 2 yards.

Tebow blamed for allowing the blocked punt.

Watch Sanchez skate again and be given another start.

What a disgrace.

It’s Tebow time.

And I don’t care if it Rex Grossman vs. whoever the other Bears QB was when they had the rotating QB situation. SWanchez isn;t getting it done, and it’s time to bench him and give the backup a try, whoEVER the backup is.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Sanchez now 28 of 54.

You simply cannot allow your QB to throw 50 passes when he’s a 50 percenter. Drew Brees can get away with that sometimes, but even Brees usually loses if he’s forced to throw 50 times.

Just to give Sanchez something of a break, 21 rushing attempts vs 54 passing for NYJ won’t get it done. Especially with Sanchez.

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 4:14 PM

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Every. Fugging. Year.

We’ve thought about all kinds of creative ways to off ourselves. But since that’s just a little drastic, us diehard, long-time, and dedicated fans do know how to drown our sorrows by consuming mass amounts of alcoholic beverages.

hole up in a closet…

Umm… *cough*

JetBoy on October 28, 2012 at 4:16 PM

How ’bout them Colts. What an incredible finish. 4-3 for a team that only won two games all of last year.

tommyboy on October 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM

JetBoy on October 28, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I feel for you, man. That was ugly….
Make sure you get a bow and arrow set from Toys R Us to shoot the gators and rats when they come out of the flooded subways.

Seriously, stay safe!

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 4:19 PM

So Tebow has a 102 QB rating on the year, has a 67% completion ratio, averaging over 10 yds a pass, no INTs… and he’s the punt protector.

/I just had to….

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Good on the Colts… Guess those draft picks are starting to kick in!

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 4:27 PM

So… tonight….the premiere event…

Manning vs. Brees… probably the last time, as AFC teams only play NFC teams every 4 years.

Brees has won 2 meetings, and so has Peyton.

Brees is friends with the Mannings (I suppose it easy to be friends with the enemy when the game is over and you’re sitting upon a golden bed).

Should be interesting, and I expect that both QBs will be giving it the extra effort tonight!

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Sorry Ed, you shouldn’t have picked the Rams as your upset of the week. Epic Smackdown by Brady & Co. 45-7.

D-fusit on October 28, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Jetboy and all other HA’s in the path of Sandy – Stay Safe we need you on election day!

D-fusit on October 28, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Seriously, you noreasters need to check your supplies. From what I read, the power outages could be lengthy. Smokes if you smokes, and drinks if you drink. And a bow & arrow set from Toys R Us to protect you against drug addicts freaking out for their fixes.

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 4:38 PM

So… tonight….the premiere event…

Brees has won 2 meetings, and so has Peyton.

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM

That should be a good game. Doesn’t look like weather will be an issue, as it will be cloudy and in the high 40s at game time.

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Saints defense will be at a disadvantage due to the altitude. Spending a lot of time at sea level will do that to you.

0bama spends so much time on Air-Force One that he is permanently acclimatized to 8,000 feet – the usual pressurization altitude of a 747.

Flying into the Mile-High City for the 1st debate actually ADDED oxygen to his brain’s usual condition.

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Who is going to stop Atlanta?

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Giants jumping out to early 13-0 lead over Cowboys in the 1st, and driving for more.

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Slowest NFL thread ever on Hot Air. I give up. Going to go stack branches outside in the chill.

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I feel for you, man. That was ugly….

Seriously, stay safe!

cane_loader on October 28, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Thanks :) All my hatches are battened down. They’re shutting down all the mass transit tonight…subways, buses, etc. So yeah, this hurricane is a big ‘un. I’m stocked up on bottled water, batteries, got my little gas grill ready to go. It’s a 100% guarantee the power will be going out at some point early on. I kinda wish the Jets/Fish game MNF so maybe it would be postponed. :/

D-fusit on October 28, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Thanks…If this week was election day, I’m sure the Left would have blamed Bush for not fighting global warming hard enough, which is causing this hurricane.

And of course, Sheila Jackson Lee would still be whining about all those “lily white” names they give these hurricanes…like Sandy.

Cheers, thanks. My first time voting in NY since I moved from Conn. last year.

JetBoy on October 28, 2012 at 5:07 PM

When will you learn not to pick against the Bears, Ed? Jeez!

TheBad on October 28, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Rams over Pats eh? HAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHA

scrubbiedude on October 28, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Does Ed pick against the Pats because he is a Steelers fan? I live in Steelers/Eagles country and I can see the hatred Steelers fans have for Brady and the Pats.

goflyers on October 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

goflyers on October 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

No, I’ve seen Ed pick the Pats to win here many times. It’s not “automatic” PDS with him.

Del Dolemonte on October 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM

…Cowboys lose by a finger!

KOOLAID2 on October 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

We in Steeler Nation love ya Ed, but be careful basing analysis of the Pats-Rams game based on how the teams have fared at home or on the road for a game in England.

Oh yes the Steeler throwbacks were.. strange, including the beige pants. And Casey Hampton in bumblebee drag? A thing, once seen, cannot be unseen.

P Opus on October 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM

They’ll beat RGIII and the Redskins in a physical effort, 20-10.

PIT 27 WAS 12

I’d expect Eli Manning to lead the G-men past the ‘Boys, 27-20.

NYG 29 DAL 24

The Broncos should win at home, 35-31, but it may come down to the last drive.

DEN 34 NO 14

ATL 30 PHI 17

Rams over Pats, 24-20.

STL 7 NE 45

I’d call it 27-24 for the 49ers, possibly in OT

We will see tomorrow but you are on a roll Ed (5-0)!! I hope you can predict the election results as well as you do football.

Dollayo on October 29, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Dollayo on October 29, 2012 at 2:14 AM

You mean 4-1. He got the NE call wrong, they crushed the Rams.

clancy_wiggum on October 29, 2012 at 3:46 AM