Quotes of the day

posted at 9:16 pm on October 27, 2012 by Allahpundit

The White House on Saturday flatly denied that President Barack Obama withheld requests for help from the besieged American compound in Benghazi, Libya, as it came under on attack by suspected terrorists on September 11th.

“Neither the president nor anyone in the White House denied any requests for assistance in Benghazi,” National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor told Yahoo News by email…

“Would the secretary of defense make such a decision on his own? No,” [Bill] Kristol wrote. “It would have been a presidential decision.”

“He’s wrong,” said Vietor.

***

Bill Kristol suggests that it had to be a decision by Obama himself not to help the Americans under siege in Benghazi and that David Petraeus is signaling exactly that with the CIA’s emphatic denial that the decision came from his shop. If that’s true, at what point does Petraeus have to speak out? If the reports are true, I think you can make the case that Petraeus should resign in protest. But that’s based somewhat on speculation about what I think happened. I don’t know for sure. Petraeus does.

***

“President Obama today said that he gave an order to everyone while the attack was going on to do everything they could to secure the personnel,” [former Reagan assistant secretary of defense Bing] West said. “Now that’s really big because that means that those who were turning down [former Navy SEAL] Ty Woods when he was asking for the help were going against the orders of the president of the United States.”…

“A chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff doesn’t take an order from the president when he says ‘do everything’ and not put that in writing and send it out to the chain of command,” West said. “If that actually happened the way President Obama today said it happened, there’s a paper trail and I think people reasonably enough can say, ‘well can we see the order?’ because hundreds of others supposedly saw this order.”

“But if there is no order then people have to ask some very basic questions, ‘what the heck happened?’” he said.

***

1.) To whom did the president give the first of his “three very clear directives”—that is, “make sure that we are securing our personnel and doing whatever we need to?”…

7.) Was the president made aware of the repeated requests for assistance from the men under attack? When and by whom?…

9.) Did the president refuse to authorize an armed drone strike on the attackers?

10.) Did the president refuse to authorize a C-130 [Spectre gunship] to enter Libyan airspace during the attack?

***

[A]s of right now, outside of a very few exceptions, the CorruptMedia has coordinated with the White House to create a complete blackout around this story. Not even yesterday’s denial from the CIA that indirectly implicates the White House garnered any media attention.

In the closing days of a reelection campaign the CorruptMedia is desperate to see Obama win, it’s glaringly obvious that nothing this potentially damaging to the president will be allowed to see the light of day — at least not until after November 6.

Had Obama answered Clark’s question yesterday, he would’ve violated this unspoken blackout agreement by making news. This would’ve forced the CorruptMedia to cover a story they’re desperate to pretend doesn’t exist. Obama knows his Media Palace Guards are covering for him, and he knew that wouldn’t have been possible had he done anything that nudged the story.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 7

AZfederalist on October 27, 2012 at 10:27 PM

OK, color me stupid, That should have been Arthur C Clarke, not Asimov regarding 2001 A Space Odyssey. Old Timer’s disease is a terrible thing. I also read lot’s of Clark as well. I liked the first of the Rama series.

AZfederalist on October 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Des Moines Register endorsed Romney. *THAT* is shocking, darlin’

OmahaConservative on October 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I know! Obama could be convicted of treason and the Strib would still endorse him.

gophergirl on October 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM

‘ Osama is dead, GM is alive’.

thatsafactjack on October 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM

“Osama is dead, and so is Stevens and 3 more”, all at the hands of Obama and Hillary.

Schadenfreude on October 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM

It’s kind of comical how much work they put into commenting on a conservative blog.

gophergirl on October 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM

They do it for attention, sad but they likely have no life.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 27, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Fifty cents at a time can really add up when you put your back into it (and leave your brain behind apparently).

Gingotts on October 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Lanceman on October 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Have you seen triple? He was braying in the Green Room earlier.

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM

And your buddy Franken too, right?

Lanceman on October 27, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Franken isn’t running.

gophergirl on October 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM

How Ohio can break for Romney (great read)

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I think HAL left too.
This thread is a lot lighter if that is true. :)

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Yep..
You are right..

Electrongod on October 27, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Well if HAL was really smart he would have consulted his Magic 8 Ball like I do when I get confused.

SparkPlug on October 27, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Or would have conducted a poll.

kim roy on October 27, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Sing it, HAL. Sing… DAISY.

thatsafactjack on October 27, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Earlier in the day I noticed the back and forth between you and HotAirpud and wondered about “Daisy.” Since I didn’t want to admit I’m not as smart as Obama I just waited. Now I know.

As I told sesquipsquirtout on another thread, just be here on Nov. 6 and we’ll see who’s sorry.

arnold ziffel on October 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM

John the Libertarian on October 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Dang, now you are making me remember a book I read 30-some years ago.
The movie didn’t cover near as much as the book did.

Never fully explained, but HAL could complete the mission himself. Bowman and Poole, didn’t know the modified mission, and the three in deep sleep, would have done what Dave did when they woke up and discovered what he had done.

cozmo on October 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Then you get to clean her.

cozmo on October 27, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Works for me.

derft on October 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Gingotts on October 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Did you see this?

50 Cent Party monitors popular US websites, news sites and blogs and posts comments that advance Chinese governmental interests

But who would pay 50 cents for Gumby? I don’t think he’s even worth a penny.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Cool. Still preferred ten but at least this is better than six. Glad to know AP was indeed sincere about figuring out a solution with Ed and their tech guy. Hopefully that bodes ill for the facebook trolls.

(Also if it was more than an hour or two ago, then I must have looked right at it earlier and been too thick to register the change. Admittedly very plausible.)

Gingotts on October 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Yes, Ed and Allah heard many of our complaints, loud and clear, and responded quite quickly, IMHO. Some folks were griping that the changes were made first without our input, but sometimes it’s better to make changes that you think might work, but then be ready to adjust. As a result, we got the headlines back (they’d gone down to 8 some time ago, IIRC) and the GR comments section reactivated.

I, for one, was impressed with the way they reacted and the speed in which they did so.

TXUS on October 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Well, there is more. This info originally was from Gateway Pundit.
Excerpt: Sure enough Obama nominated Gen. David Rodriguez to replace Gen. Carter Ham as commander of U.S. Africa Command.

bluefox on October 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Funny thing…Gen.Ham’s assignment was not due to end until May2013.

Now, if he was doing a great job – as panetta, et al say – why is he leaving seven months early?
Perhaps he ‘talked back’ to valerie when she ordered the abandonment and deaths of 4 Americans.

Solaratov on October 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Lanceman on October 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM

You do have a way with them, and make a pretty good substitute when we’re in need. :)

OTTO on October 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Have you seen triple? He was braying in the Green Room earlier.

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Old troll. Never here much.

Franken isn’t running.

gophergirl on October 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM

But when he was running.

Lanceman on October 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I like this. “Two Polls that have Chicago Terrified” from the Numbers Muncher guy.

But here’s why you can feel the panic emanating from Chicago: Romney is currently doing better with independents than Obama did in 2008. Obama won independents by eight, in 2008 while Romney is currently leading by 10.6 points on average. If the independent numbers are entered in to the 2008 results, Romney would have a victory of over four points.

DrStock on October 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM

The way this attack has been handled by the media and Obama administration is making me ill.

My God it sounds like they were willing to let Americans die (many more if the former SEALs did not rush in by dis-obeying orders.)

That is just insane and can not even image the personality of someone who would allow that.

When Kohbar Towers was bombed, I was back in VA packing to go to the building that was blown up (or the only one you see in pictures, many buildings had to be condemned). A couple of days later the FBI/OSI asked for volunteers to go thru all of the buildings dreamed safe collecting evidence. They also asked us to help them sift sand at the blast crater with the Saudis (since the crater was on Saudi territory).

About 3 minutes into the sifting sand with USAF volunteers an FBI or OSI agent pulled me aside and said “I need you at that table with the Saudis.” “Your job is to pretend to sift sand but your real job is to watch them and make sure they do not slip anything into thier pockets/robes.”

They fact that CNN found the diary of the Stevens first is just sickening. Because obviously The crime scene was not protected like it was at Kohbar.

Yet with Bengazi there has been nothing.

F15Mech on October 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM

No, it is apparent libtard and Kunta are the same thing. Simplistic, ‘rat talking points and other assorted idiocy is all her brain can process.

Plus the fact she has a hard time with English, which is to be expected from an immigrant of her caliber.

Lanceman on October 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I can’t keep up, there are so many.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Funny thing…Gen.Ham’s assignment was not due to end until May2013.

Solaratov on October 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM

And there are pictures of him still conducting his official duties after the twelfth.

Very slim evidence to support this rumor at this time.

cozmo on October 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Anybody else besides me see a parallel between Obama and Col. Jessup here?

fossten on October 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Folks, those that post here on the Liberal side do so in order to get their words onto the great Interwebnetz for posterity and to influence searches. If you feel you must respond to them, only include their username and date/time. Quoting their words only helps their cause.

ManWithNoParty on October 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM

But when he was running.

Lanceman on October 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Strib always endorses the dems except for one token Republican. For years it was always Jim Ramstead. Not sure who it was this year. I don’t read the Strib very much – just for sports.

gophergirl on October 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Hi all!

I hope everyone is doing well — I haven’t been posting much these last few days (although I’ve been reading the top posts) because (1) busier than usual with work plus volunteering for the campaign with GOTV efforts; (2) I’m really feeling good about where we are in the race — which is kind of weird, so I don’t want to jinx anything by posting about my optimism; and (3) it makes me so sad to see people like gumby & HAL who are so corrupt, or stupid or sociopathic that they *still* support Obama despite how he’s handled the entire Benghazi situation, prior, during & after (Vegas, baby!). Prior to Benghazi I could just think they were fools (the lack of logic in their posts made that an easy assumption) but now they *actually* make my skin crawl.

Dark Star on October 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Sing it, HAL. Sing… DAISY.

thatsafactjack on October 27, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Perhaps he’s unfamiliar with the NEW lyrics:

Barry, Barry…give me your answer true
Why did you lie
When you appeared on The View?
Now calls for investigation
Echo throughout the nation
And won’t it be sweet
When you squirm and then bleat:
“Hey folks…I never knew!”

ManlyRash on October 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM

gophergirl on October 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM

He could be convicted of raping a 6-year old while on crack, and after stabbing six cops, and the Strib would be where they normally are, on their knees, mouth wide open.

TXUS on October 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM

cozmo on October 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Okay, okay, I’m with you here. Sort of like the robot Ashe in the first Alien movie. The machine itself was not malevolent, but the people behind the programming were.

John the Libertarian on October 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Lincoln Journal Star has endorsed Bob Kerrey and Obama.

a capella on October 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

cozmo on October 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I’ll give you that I didn’t remember the plot that well, Cozmo. I was a kid when it came out.

But I know this business and film history is one of my areas of expertise. Those special effects and cinematography were all going to be used in any event. They’d been in development, and some had already existed, for some time.

The space program, the pending moon shot, and the television success of Roddenberry’s “Star Trek” inspired the studios to release of a major feature film dealing with what was considered, at the time, a more ‘realistic’ look at the future of space travel. “Star Trek” was taken as a sign that the public was hungry for more space related films, sci-fi.

The studios were looking for a film that was at once ‘sci-fi’ enough to satisfy that craving, and also ‘realistic’ enough to draw in the regular audience out of sheer curiosity. Kubrick decided that he was the man for the job, given his long time penchant for different cinematography and the fact that the vastness of space allowed for shots that would outpace even “Lawrence of Arabia” in terms of capturing vast empty spaces on film in a new way. He also had a key element the studios found too attractive to pass up. He had the monetary backing to make it happen. The studios went along based on his reputation, and the fact that he had all that ready made financial backing. To their money people, the suits, even if it flopped, their own losses would be mitigated, since any losses would have been spread across multiple backers, and Kubrick would have been saddled with any blame. That film was a tribute to his own ‘vision’ of what such a film should be and, despite some of it’s more obvious shortcomings in terms of plot, hailed as the ‘big bang of this generation’ in terms of cinematography and direction by…Hollywood.

thatsafactjack on October 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Sing it, HAL. Sing… DAISY.

thatsafactjack on October 27, 2012 at 9:52 PM

…I think you’ve been doing this for over a month…and I think HotLips only started questioning it with its ‘confusion’… yesterday…wtf?… it would always disappear when asked before!

KOOLAID2 on October 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM

There is a new poll coming out of OH tomorrow.

theres always a new poll coming out for ohio tomorrow. and the day after and the day after-etc.

gerrym51 on October 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM

TXUS on October 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I agree. It also makes me hopeful that in that Allahpundit also acknowledged that the Facebook comments ended up “way trollier” than they had figured and that they were looking into that, and even apparently considering quitting on it if they couldn’t figure a troll solution.

I can understand that sometimes changes are best made first and sorted later, but a little bit of honest listening and reacting to feedback goes a long way. I’m happy they made and responded in that thread, as opposed to the confusing rollout of the Facebook stuff.

Gingotts on October 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Lincoln Journal Star has endorsed Bob Kerrey and Obama.

a capella on October 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Big shocker there…

OmahaConservative on October 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM

TXUS on October 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM

SPOT ON!

gophergirl on October 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM

John the Libertarian on October 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Heh, but Ash was bad. Mother was HAL.

cozmo on October 27, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Oh yeah!?

predator on October 27, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Hay ain’t that thar one of them ships that go under the water?

jrsrigmvr on October 27, 2012 at 10:45 PM

ManlyRash on October 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I like it! Excellent! :)

thatsafactjack on October 27, 2012 at 10:45 PM

cozmo on October 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Fun fact, way back when I took an elective course at the university that studied Kubrik’s films. The professor said HAL was actually the letters before IBM, and that Bowman was a reference to Ulysses. Even the solitary red eye of HAL was supposed to be the Cyclops that Ulysses ultimately outwitted.

John the Libertarian on October 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM

gophergirl on October 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM

But, NORM! I liked Norm.

Lanceman on October 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM

A possible congressional pick up in NY?

Smith pulling even with Casey?

And last, but not least. Barry starting to pay for Benghazi?

*I’m waiting for an explanation from gutmeandporkme.*

predator on October 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM

But who would pay 50 cents for Gumby? I don’t think he’s even worth a penny.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Same guys that would throw hundreds of millions at Solyndra?

Gingotts on October 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I’m glad to know others didn’t like 2001. It reminded me of a stream of consciousness reading assignment.

I’d missed prior comments about Daisy until tonight; then a vague memory of HAL and his warbling act surfaced.

INC on October 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Lincoln Journal Star has endorsed Bob Kerrey and Obama.

a capella on October 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

…it would be terrible if that place burned down…

KOOLAID2 on October 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Hmm. It’s all coming together.

Dan Fogelberg sings : “One went to Chicago and the other to St Paul…”

Lanceman on October 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Rubio’s 12 year old daughter was in a car accident today.

I’d encourage those who pray, to spare one for her and her family.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Team Obama tweet:

Considering today’s @DMRegister’s editorial on Akin, Mourdock and Romney’s extreme position on women’s health, hard to imagine DMR endorsement.

4 minutes later, the Des Moines Register posted its endorsement of Mitt Romney for President — the paper’s first endorsement of a Republican in 40 years.

Be sure to read the comments. lol

PS: As a woman, I just love how the Democrats have reduced by health to abortion and contraception. **eyeroll**

Resist We Much on October 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Odysseus, my bad. Hence Space Odyssey.

John the Libertarian on October 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM

predator on October 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Hi predator, nice to see you. :)

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM

A possible congressional pick up in NY?

predator on October 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I’m still hopeful we’ll be able to keep Buerkle.

Gingotts on October 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM

But, NORM! I liked Norm.

Lanceman on October 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Norm had great vision – he would have been a fantastic Governor. What he did for St. Paul was amazing.

Have to say though his handshake though – limp as can be. I have a firmer handshake than he does.

gophergirl on October 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Hay ain’t that thar one of them ships that go under the water?

jrsrigmvr on October 27, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Must be, cuz it shore ain’t one of them “boats” ya land aeroplanes on.

predator on October 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM

thatsafactjack on October 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I fully agree. Kubrick had the weight to bring the technology.

Douglass Trumbull showed that it could be done on a budget.

And George Lucas showed that it could entertain the masses.

It was going to get done, eventually. 2001 made eventually into now.

cozmo on October 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I don’t see how the CorruptMedia can keep the lid on this all the way until the election. They don’t really even seem to have their story straight. Panetta said that they didn’t send the rescue team due to lack of intelligence. The CIA and the White House say that they didn’t deny any requests. Somebody’s lying, and as Romney keeps moving up in the polls, somebody in the media is going to want preserve a shred of their credibility by following up on this contradiction. Panetta’s statement and those of the CIA and White House can’t both be true.

Progressive Heretic on October 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I’m still hopeful we’ll be able to keep Buerkle.

Gingotts on October 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I saw a recent report, sorry can’t remember the source…that several potential D pickups may not materialize. Hopefully Buerkle stays – she’s great.

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Gingotts on October 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM

When you’re right, you’re right.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM

But who would pay 50 cents for Gumby? I don’t think he’s even worth a penny.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM

That’s why it posts so much. Has to make up in volume what it lacks in value. So, it has to make 50 posts to equal a single chinese post.

AZfederalist on October 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Seriously how pathetic does your life have to be Gumby?

when your living in your mothers basement and you can’t get a date what elese does he have to do?

gerrym51 on October 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Hi predator, nice to see you. :)

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Evenin’ Zip Code. How’s things in Ol’ Virginny?

predator on October 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM

arnold ziffel on October 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Good evening, Arnold! I hope you’re well, green eyes!:)

The whole “HAL” thinf is a silly little device to nail a sillier little troll. lol!

He’s really not much of a troll.

thatsafactjack on October 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM

What the “Press” doesn’t realize is…

… what they are breaking here, cannot be repaired.

Obama’s Feet of Clay
 | Supplying America’s Islamist enemies abroad with weapons

Seven Percent Solution on October 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM

gophergirl on October 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I could tell that just by looking at him.

Ron Wyden too.

Lanceman on October 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM

thatsafactjack on October 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I was young when I saw this with my mother & future stepfather way back when. Didn’t understand it then, don’t understand it now. But what the hell I don’t savvy starwars either.

jrsrigmvr on October 27, 2012 at 10:52 PM

predator on October 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM

A little bummed, had outdoor plans tomorrow that will likely get blasted by Sandy.
But my health is improving. :)

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I fully agree. Kubrick had the weight to bring the technology.

cozmo on October 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Kubrick’s movies were all about the score.

Lanceman on October 27, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I do have to say tho’ I saw Jabba the Hut voting in Michigan today.

jrsrigmvr on October 27, 2012 at 10:53 PM

John the Libertarian on October 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM

You know what would make for a great computer name?

JaCeN.

The reverse of HAL.

I know it will make a great name for a sentient computer, but I can’t tell you why…at this time.

cozmo on October 27, 2012 at 10:53 PM

My boss is one of the undecided voters. I walk a fine line with political talk at work. I have calmly explained all the reasons that she would basically be insane to vote for Obama. Makes you wonder how some people cross the street without assistance. My lib uncle on the other hand, I had it out with him in the middle of the street in 2008. My mom hated it degenerating into a hostile fight during Sunday dinners. I’ve since decided that giving myself a stroke trying to talk sense into koolaid drinkers is not worth it.

TXMomof3 on October 27, 2012 at 10:55 PM

TXMomof3 on October 27, 2012 at 10:55 PM

KOOLAID2? You gonna take this crap?

Lanceman on October 27, 2012 at 10:57 PM

TXMomof3 on October 27, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I keep learning this lesson and then keep forgetting it:
Never. Argue. With. Liberals.

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I keep learning this lesson and then keep forgetting it:
Never. Argue. With. Liberals.

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Don’t argue with them; just squish the gnats.

Schadenfreude on October 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM

If Obama is re-elected, just imagine the mess he’ll inherit.

John the Libertarian on October 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM

She’s my Congresswoman and I’m proud to say it. I will say that despite this being a Dem leaning district, Buerkle gets more of a home field advantage than expected because she’s built connections with the people. I know Dem voting union guys who like her because of that, and don’t pay attention to the fact that she’s among the most conservative Representatives because of it.

Adding to that is the fact that her opponent Dan Maffei, who “represented” us from 2009-2011 was notorious for refusing to talk to the people here while in D.C. Brilliantly as ever, he’s established his campaign around reaffirming that exact principle.

Buerkle sought to schedule a bunch of town hall meetings around the district, where the candidates could discuss the issues. Maffei flatly refused to participate. So she invited the Green party candidate who was willing to take part. Great way to connect with the people for both of them, while reminding others what Maffei was like the last time he received “a fair shot.” As such many people have been dismissive of polling showing Buerkle hanging on, doubting due to the fact that those polls show Green party candidate has been over 5% – a mistaken assumption considering the left wing votes the Greens are bleeding off of Maffei just from a simple willingness to talk to the voters.

Gingotts on October 27, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I could tell that just by looking at him.

Ron Wyden too.

Lanceman on October 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM

That worthless pos was elected to the senate right after Bush 1 didn’t know about milk prices/scanners. Wyden–a US rep at the time, didn’t know where Bosnia was–or even the general vicinity and another question he as an adult should have known. It makes me so gd furious that these people are our “leaders.”

arnold ziffel on October 27, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Panetta’s statement and those of the CIA and White House can’t both be true.

Progressive Heretic on October 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Did Panetta say that the DOD didn’t provide military support because of lack of intel BEFORE the Fox News story from the on the ground sources who said their requests for support were denied three times?

He “explained” why they sent no support, but has he been asked directly whether he was the one who denied calls for support during the attack? Could he have responded without Obama’s okay?

DrStock on October 27, 2012 at 11:00 PM

cozmo on October 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I still don’t agree with you on the ‘now’ part. There were many great sci-fi films around, many better in terms of plot, long before “2001″ came out. The ONLY thing it had was the special effects and cinematography tricks.

Those plot elements you were just discussing with John, wherein you explained that much of what you were talking about was in the book, not the film, were necessary plot points to the film, if an individual was to find that film understandable, but they were cut to allow for that same cinematography. That’s not great film making. It’s showmanship.

I’ll agree that, for it’s moment in time, the cinematography ‘broke ground’ in terms of that style. As far as the quality of the overall film went, it lacked a great deal. If we were to cut out those shots of the vastness of space, spacewalking, and floating around weightless, you had a very skimpy, almost impossible to understand, little film, indeed. UNLESS, all of those plot points you got in the book were filmed and inserted into the feature film.

I’d also argue that some of that cinematography and special effects was already in use in films as inexpensively done as “The Reluctant Astronaut” and ” Way, Way, Out”. (And “Way, Way, Out, had Anita Eckberg.):)

thatsafactjack on October 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM

AZfederalist on October 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Heh.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 27, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I keep learning this lesson and then keep forgetting it:
Never. Argue. With. Liberals.

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Don’t argue with them; just squish the gnats.

Schadenfreude on October 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Ya just have to turn what they say against them. Case in point:

The lib dipshot I used to work with on 2nd shift (I went to days since then) was reading a KOS thread, I assume something about abortion. He turned to me and shrieked, “Why does anyone want to have children?”

My reply: “Your parents seemed to think it was a good idea.”

It was a very quiet night from that point forward.

predator on October 27, 2012 at 11:02 PM

but I can’t tell you why…at this time.

cozmo on October 27, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Okay, you’ve just inspired my first music link in a looooong time

John the Libertarian on October 27, 2012 at 11:03 PM

TXMomof3 on October 27, 2012 at 10:55 PM

KOOLAID2? You gonna take this crap?

Lanceman on October 27, 2012 at 10:57 PM

….psssst…(your’re the one that likes Grape Kool-Aid…she must be trying to get you to change flavors!)

KOOLAID2 on October 27, 2012 at 11:03 PM

jrsrigmvr on October 27, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Don’t feel bad about it, Fred. Most people feel that way. The problem was that key plot points in the original book were sacrificed for those special effects and shots of the vastness of space in order to bring across Kubrick’s vision and to make it a spectacular vehicle about space exploration. The viewer was left with an impression of vastness and spectacle, with very little understanding of what was at stake or what was motivating the action.

thatsafactjack on October 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM

If you didn’t see Pat Caddell on Jeanine Pirro’s show tonight, you need to.

Flora Duh on October 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Don’t argue with them; just squish the gnats.

Schadenfreude on October 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Ya just have to turn what they say against them. Case in point:

My reply: “Your parents seemed to think it was a good idea.”

It was a very quiet night from that point forward.

predator on October 27, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Good ideas. :)
Occasionally I do make points, but IME it usually takes too long.

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I’m do glad to read that you’ve feeling better, ’44! :)

thatsafactjack on October 27, 2012 at 11:06 PM

“Bad news for Romney out of VA with the new Wash Post poll showing Obama +4, 51-47.

gumbyandpokey on October 27, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Did you bother to look at the sample buttmunch?

Let me help you – it’s D+8

2008 was D+6
2004 was R+4

gophergirl on October 27, 2012 at 9:27 PM”

Sorry, but the LV sample is only D+4. The D+8 is of all adults.

gumbyandpokey on October 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Very slim evidence to support this rumor at this time.

cozmo on October 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Link to those pictures?

Solaratov on October 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I’m do glad to read that you’ve feeling better, ’44! :)

thatsafactjack on October 27, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Thanks! Hope you’re well this fine evening. :)

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Obama scrooms the gays.

Schadenfreude on October 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Well, look who’s here w/ weaksauce.

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Back off? If you want to hang on this, go ahead. It won’t only bite you, but it will help 0bama if it turns out to be false.

Are so against giving it the time it needs to be filled out?

cozmo on October 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM

It is Obama that has nominated a replacement for General Ham!!!! I think you must be replying to something that I’m not posting. Here:
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama will nominate Army Gen. David Rodriguez to succeed Gen. Carter Ham as commander of U.S. Africa Command and Marine Lt. Gen.…

Oct 18, 2012 · Gen. David Rodriguez, commanding general of Army Forces Command, has been nominated to lead … Rodriguez would succeed Gen. Carter Ham…

fedscoop.com/obama-nominates-army-general-to-lead-africom

U.S. Army Gen. David M. Rodriguez has been nominated to succeed Army Gen. Carter F. Ham as the commander of U.S. Africa Command, Defense Secretary Leon

Let me know if you need any more links to read.

bluefox on October 27, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Sorry, but the LV sample is only D+4. The D+8 is of all adults.

gumbyandpokey on October 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM

When will you become an Adult?

Just curious…

Electrongod on October 27, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Flora Duh on October 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Thank you for that, Flora. Caddell was on fire and rightfully so.

predator on October 27, 2012 at 11:10 PM

John the Libertarian on October 27, 2012 at 11:03 PM

very good chice or a comeback

jrsrigmvr on October 27, 2012 at 11:10 PM

AZfederalist on October 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Gotta admit, you make a fair counterpoint.

Aww crap and look what we brought upon ourselves. Shoulda known… it’s like Beetlejuice.

Gingotts on October 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I’m do glad to read that you’ve feeling better, ’44! :)

thatsafactjack on October 27, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Yeah, Zip Code, I meant to inquire earlier. You’ve been ailing?
Glad to hear you’re on the uptick.

predator on October 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM

22044 on October 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I’m very well, thank you, ’44. :)

thatsafactjack on October 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM

“There is a new poll coming out of OH tomorrow.Raquel Pinkbullet on October 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM”

Good, more fun tomorrow!

Another day, another swing state disaster poll for Mitt.

gumbyandpokey on October 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Sorry, but the LV sample is only D+4. The D+8 is of all adults.

gumbyandpokey on October 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Any good music links? We’re past your intellectual prowess.

arnold ziffel on October 27, 2012 at 11:14 PM