Welcome to the new Green Room!

posted at 10:41 am on October 26, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Over the last couple of days, you may have noticed some changes in our Green Room, and a few readers expressed some puzzlement over suddenly seeing Allahpundit, Mary Katharine, Erika, Jazz Shaw, Guy Benson, and myself posting our thoughts in that forum.  We’ve decided to repurpose our Green Room into a Hot Air/Townhall conversation area, where your favorite bloggers — and perhaps a few of your favorite radio hosts — can post shorter-form thoughts, debate points amongst each other.

We want to thank our friends who have written in our Green Room over the last few years. They’ve done a great job, and we’ve had a blast working with them.

So what’s next?  We’ll start with the six of us while we’re building some better access to GR posts on our home page, but we’ll shortly be adding some of our Townhall colleagues, and perhaps by next week a few other Salem favorites, too. We hope to have this in full throttle by Election Night, and you can bet we’ll be posting quick updates all night long.  Be sure to keep an eye on the Green Room, because you’ll never know what — or who — to expect there!

Update (AP): In case it’s not obvious, the “More Green Room” link in the box on the Hot Air front page will take you directly to the master Green Room page. You can read everything there with one scroll, a la Instapundit. Links to individual GR posts will cycle off the HA front page quickly, so that’s the easiest way to get caught up on everything if you’re behind.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

I’m always the last to know… I never saw the OLD Green Room.

KCsecurity1976 on October 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Viewing the site in Android Smartphone, it’s apparent that part of the redesign is to ensure browser width display. No more scrolling off to the right to view overflowed content.

However, what’s irksome for us android users is that Google – yes Google – has known for over two years that their OS browser’s glaring bug is the lack of a scrollbar in the TEXTAREA Comment up to Android 4.1 ICS.

Well, there is a workaround. Ed/AP, please point your webmaster at this link and have them implement it. The code snippet will not interfere with otherbrowsers as it is specific to touchscreens.

AH_C on October 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Allah, please don’t be snarky. People are rightly upset by a sudden roll out of new features with little or no warning before impact.

Haven’t you ever seen Falling Down with Michael Douglas?

Vatican Watcher on October 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I still don’t get this ‘new’ Greenroom thing? I didn’t go to the old Greenroom all that often, but this new Greenroom seems like ‘New Coke’ to me.

Why break something that wasn’t broken to being with?

Lance Murdock on October 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Coming soon to the HotGas newsfeed, Michael Medved’s latest “THERE’S ONLY ROOM FOR TWO POLITICAL PARTIES IN AMERICA: WHY YOUNG PEOPLE ARE STUPID FOR NOT SUPPORTING THE GOP ESTABLISHMENT” column.

/urrrrgl

Jeddite on October 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

The treatment of the GR writers is shameful. The recent implementation of full-page pop-ups is annoying and the audio ads that start at random are equally so, but I assume there’s money in that, so whatever.

But to treat people who I assume have been working for free in such a manner is pretty much despicable. It’s not that it’s not your right, it’s that it’s a shoddy way to treat people – and Ed, whether it was your doing or not, your cutesy little one line mention of these folks was pretty much a giant eff-you.

Not since Tina Korbe’s addition have I scratched my head at the absence of judgment on the part of HA publishers. I’ll still come here b/c Allah’s too much fun to not read and MKH and Erika are doing good work, but this is a sad day for long-time readers.

King B on October 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

But carry on, cozmo.

Allahpundit on October 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Now you are just inviting it.

A simple explanation would have sufficed.

cozmo on October 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM

KingGold on October 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Same here. Frankly, though, I thought the writing was on the wall a couple of years ago, when I noticed that GR posts started getting promoted less and less. I also noticed that main page posts that cited topics that had already been covered in the Green Room, as far back as a day before, were no longer giving the simple lip service links as they did early on. After a while, it seemed like Jazz Shaw was the only one paying attention to GR posts anymore amongst the main staff.

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Why break something that wasn’t broken to being with?

Lance Murdock on October 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Salem doesnt make money when bandwidth is directed at Fausta Wertz or Howard Portnoy instead of Dennis Prager or Hugh Hewitt.

/dundundun

Jeddite on October 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Lance Murdock on October 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I rarely went to the GR either, and I still don’t see myself going there. I did enjoy when threads were promoted to the main blog page and headlines…

OmahaConservative on October 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Crazy people more interested in an all-time epic failure of a campaign ad eleven days from a crucial Presidential election than they are with site formatting. They need to resort their priorities.
Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I’d reserve my highest praise for the Salem honcho who came up with the brilliant notion to muck up HA with just barely over a week to go before a Presidential election. You can’t find a sense of timing like that just anywhere, y’know.

whatcat on October 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

But carry on, cozmo.

Allahpundit on October 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Oh, knock it off already. You’re taking the complaints and criticisms way too personally.

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Now you are just inviting it.

A simple explanation would have sufficed.

cozmo on October 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Sometimes the martyr in AP likes to show its ugly head. I still appreciate his trying to address our concerns though.

NotCoach on October 26, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Unrelated, sort of – will there ever be the capacity in the comments to post images or gifs that show up in the thread?

Good Lt on October 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I liked the Green Room but thought it could benefit from a bit more prominence. I liked J. E. Dyer’s and Libby Sternbergs posts consistently as well as Portnoy, Vespa, and a few others, not to mention I thought the GR posts from Anita Moncrief just the other day had important info.

If you really want to make GR like NRO’s Corner (and you’ve already got Guy Benson) why not extend access to all the GR posters? They often got their content promoted to the main page and provided a more variety and contrast with Ed’s polite but pointed understatement, Erika’s passionaite fire, and Allah’s beta cauterwhiling and biting satire.

Can’t we all just get along?

BKennedy on October 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Good Lt on October 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I wouldn’t count on it. Such things are bandwidth and memory hogs.

NotCoach on October 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I still appreciate his trying to address our concerns though.

NotCoach on October 26, 2012 at 1:17 PM

You got that right.

Imagine how different things would have been if some folks had gotten a decent send off and there had been a decent explanation before the purge.

“Its been great, but all things must change”. Something along those lines.

Way to think about the consumer there HA.

cozmo on October 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Good Lt on October 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

You can link to images, allowing embedding of them would be risky.

whatcat on October 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM

equitare on October 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Whoa. Easy… It’s called being a smarta..lec and it’s another crucial tradition here at Hot Gas. I’ve been in here as much as everybody else. I even went and copied this nice little bit of assurance to Notepad for future viewing.

The war against the Auto-play ads and Facebook commenting continues though.

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 11:24 AM

We’re working on that too. Facebook comments have become way trollier than we had hoped. I doubt they’ll be around much longer unless we can figure out a better means of troll control.

As for the autoplay ads, I’m sorry about that. We have no control over it. We use an automated ad system and sometimes ad buyers insert autoplay ads into it; our only recourse is to block the ad after it starts airing, which can take some time. I’ve already alerted the higher-ups about the Home Depot one.

Allahpundit on October 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Good Lt on October 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Oh please no, the site runs slow enough as it is.

JPeterman on October 26, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Good Lt on October 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Oh boy, quickmeme Willy Wonka cat macros 4 all lolol!!!1!

Jeddite on October 26, 2012 at 1:24 PM

whatcat on October 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Yeah, that reminds me of all those times that some MSM bigwig will announce a major change or retirement in July, but not scheduled to occur until “after the elections.” It always makes me think that their first thought in mind is to do nothing to disrupt their ability to skew things for the Democrats on the big day. Personal business or life decisions come second to their “in-kind political contributions.”

But here on a conservative political site it isn’t even a minor thought. “Election next week? Screw it. Let’s put in a section for Anime chat, see what happens.”

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Oh boy, quickmeme Willy Wonka cat macros 4 all lolol!!!1!

Jeddite on October 26, 2012 at 1:24 PM

U MAD LOL WUT NO U

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I wouldn’t count on it. Such things are bandwidth and memory hogs.

NotCoach on October 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I figured that was the reason, but there’s so much hilariousness being left out due to this. Meh.

:-)

Good Lt on October 26, 2012 at 1:29 PM

You can link to images, allowing embedding of them would be risky.

whatcat on October 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Yeah, I know. I’m asking if there are plans to be able at some point to post images (like at the HuffPo or the SBN sports sites).

It can add a lot of character to the threads.

I can also totally understand if HA management doesn’t want to open that can of worms.

Good Lt on October 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

One other thing: Keeping the past GR contributors means less work for Allah/Ed/Jazz/Guy in keeping GR content fresh. They already have their mainline posts to worry about and from what I’ve seen their GR stuff isn’t really that short. Unlike NRO which is more a daily columnist aggregator in the main, Hot Air is News, and so taking time away from that function is detrimental.

Obligatory attack on Salem:

Burn the Change Witch! Burn the Change Witch!

BKennedy on October 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

The new green room sounds great, but not the new home page design, I guess it’s temporary, but with the green room below the Headlines, imho it detracts from the simple elegance of the old HA home page design. This (old) design is the design that has catapulted HA to the top. If it’s not broke… The new design seems overcrowded or cluttered, or something. There could be another way to make visible note of the Green Room option.

anotherJoe on October 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM

U MAD LOL WUT NO U

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM

OT..

Haven’t seen gryhon in a while, have you?

JPeterman on October 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Also I will forgive you if you can somehow get Thomas Sowell to make Green Room posts. That would be awesome.

BKennedy on October 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Obligatory attack on Salem:

Burn the Change Witch! Burn the Change Witch!

BKennedy on October 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Mixed feelings on Salem. They did keep a local radio guy on the air after Cumulus gave him the axe. And now he will have a column at Town Hall.

If that local radio guy shows up in the HA green room…I may just have to enter so I can bash him about the head and shoulders with a thorny stick.

cozmo on October 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM

whatcat on October 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM

And, of course, a “like” button.
:D
Speaking of “retiring” – I’m assuming the GreenRoomers all “left to spend more time with their families”, naturally.

whatcat on October 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM

JPeterman on October 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Nope.

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I’m not getting this Green Room thing at all- are they going to just be little blurbs that you click on, and no commenting? I’m already so depressed at the lack of headlines; They’ve never been this slow and boring.

BettyRuth on October 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Obligatory attack on Salem:
Burn the Change Witch! Burn the Change Witch!
BKennedy on October 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Obligatory, certainly – but not a historically correct allusion; no witches were burned at Salem.

whatcat on October 26, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I don’t know what’s going on with consevative sites…

First, RS makes a ‘from the top’ change without consulting with or caring about readers’ concerns. It sucks there now, but there is clearly no intention to change.

And now this. I guess the writers listed are so cool that we just want to silently watch them have a conversation.

I read an article last year by some guy that started a big conservative blog, I don’t remember which. Anyway, he was basically making the argument that anyone out there thinking of starting their own and going big may as well pack it up, because it’s too late, all the big boys are here and that’s that. I remember thinking of what my grandma used to say: no bird flies so high its tail doesn’t touch the earth. I think we’re seeing that play out with some of these guys, and it will open up the market for some fresh faces.

Thank God.

avgjo on October 26, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Good Lt on October 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

My fear there (beyond the obvious bandwidth concerns that the admins would need to deal with) would be that picture memes would override actual conversation.

Like last week, when everybody and their dog was impersonating gumby, and some were clever at first and then it pretty much got boring. Suppose if that were a full week of Gumby meme photos making every thread huge. Or two months of Y U NO guy asking pollsters about their samples. It’d get old quick.

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Welcome to the new green room.
Let the conversation begin!

Little bit ironic when it does not allow comment, no?

bayview on October 26, 2012 at 1:48 PM

whatcat on October 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Yeah… if you haven’t yet, see Howard Portnoy’s farewell post that he linked on page 3 of these comments.

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM

But carry on, cozmo.

Allahpundit on October 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Whaaaaaaaaa!

Tim_CA on October 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I just looked at the “new green room” and don’t see the point of it all. Just a few twitter like sentences???? Why not just have a tweet tracker like they do at NRO? Put the twitter bird link on the main page somewhere and get rid of the “Green Room” altogether, since it’s not even remotely close to the old green room, which I rarely read anyway.

The content of the new GR definitely doesn’t warrant sacrificing the number of headlines.

Like my late mother used to say, “a fish rots from the head down” and that head is Salem mgmt.

TxAnn56 on October 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM

It can add a lot of character to the threads.

Good Lt on October 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Agree with that. Could get messy on a political web site.

However, on forums that allow avatars, emoticons and images, people can get really creative.
An example:

Scroll down to the image of big bird riding a horse, carrying a bayonet. Absolutely hillarious. I am soooo stealing it.

MichaelGabriel on October 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM

would be that picture memes would override actual conversation.

That’s a risk I would be willing to take :-)

Good Lt on October 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I say let the market decide ;-)

Good Lt on October 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM

TxAnn56 on October 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Yeah, I really miss the full headlines on the front page. Sometimes the headlines are more interesting than anything else…

OmahaConservative on October 26, 2012 at 1:55 PM

MichaelGabriel on October 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM

If there’s anything HA needs, it’s more of this kind of thing:

Good Lt on October 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Sadly, I knew that when Townhall bought the site there were going to many changes, some that would not be so positive. The Townhall site is so cluttered that it is almost unreadable. As Townhall makes changes to Hot Air, I would only ask that it communicate more with the readers and commenters what is being done. The writers are great here, but the commenters are cherry on top. Alienating the readers/commenters is never a good idea. As changes are made each reader/commenter has to decide if he/she will stay or go. I hope Townhall does not kill the golden goose.

d1carter on October 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM

And now Duane Patterson is posting in the Green Room. Has he ever posted an article before? And it’s not even brief, it’s old-Green-Room-sized.

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Atomic clock!

NotCoach on October 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM

d1carter on October 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM

As HA “changes and grows”…I find myself spending alot more time at American Thinker and Newsbusters and Weazel Zippers.

They’re more in line with my head. Still have alot of fun here at sellout central though.

This board is rapidly losing its gravitas.

Tim_CA on October 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Whoopie. More of the same on the Greenroom. BFD. Hot Air continues its decline past hot gas to something even more less than Michelle Malkin’s vision for it. Sad to watch something so good implode. I guess I’m finished here.

Quartermaster on October 26, 2012 at 2:11 PM

This board is rapidly losing its gravitas.

Tim_CA on October 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Zip is now my first stop even though I haven’t figured out how to comment there. I love his War P0rn, pictures from the front and it’s simple commentary by Zip, along with all of their news from the Middle East.

He treads into the swamp where Salem is afraid to. Gutsy.

JPeterman on October 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Except all the comments will disappear (not just the ability to login and post) if Disqus happens to be blocked by a firewall. (It is where I am.)

GWB on October 26, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I hadn’t thought of that, actually. I didn’t realize that if you go to Breitbart, et. al. which uses that comment system that it would block your access to comments but not to the post itself if you have a firewall.

We have restricted sites at work as well but Disquis isn’t one of them. Facebook used to be one, but our IT department lifted it.

PatriotGal2257 on October 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I guess I’m finished here.

Quartermaster on October 26, 2012 at 2:11 PM

c’mon…buck up….you’re a conservative dammit…..we know things we like never last….we’re used to it.

Now stick around and watch these guys convert this site into a hit magnet….it promises to be hilarious!

Tim_CA on October 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM

JPeterman on October 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Agreed.

I like the format too. newest on top……scroll down till you hit the last story you caught.

Short, sweet, simple…great commentary, and regular war porn.

Tim_CA on October 26, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Allah, if I may, you are engaging a lot here, and I appreciate it, but you seem to be mainly engaging about the commenting feature. Many people have complained about that, but I think the bigger issue here, and one being seen throughout this thread, is the dismissal of all the quality bloggers who provided content, and a diversity of opinion, to the Green Room.

I understand you wouldn’t want to discuss individual bloggers and why specific decisions were made about specific people. But can you give us some insight on why it was decided to eliminate all the Green Room contributors en masse?

Shump on October 26, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I say let the market decide ;-)

Good Lt on October 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Fair enough. There could be a good argument in that meme posters would be shouted down by regulars when stuff stopped being clever.

Although I think we’re arguing a moot point here anyway as I doubt it’s even being considered… This thread is more about restoring our Greenroom commenting privileges, declaring our freedom from facebook trolls, and securing our rights to all ten of our headlines.

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 2:24 PM

There’s no comment boxes in the green room posts now.

Otherwise — No commenting for HotGas members in the ‘Green Room’ then? The “conversation area” is just for “favorite bloggers” and ‘other special guests’ to have their own conversations?

Oh. Um — okay.

Jazz will be greatly relieved, I’m sure.

FlatFoot on October 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Tim_CA on October 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Right, but our responsibility is to stand athwart it yelling “Stop!” WFB never told us to just roll with it.

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Oh great. Now we get tenfold self-promotion. One would thing the <10 posts in the daily 'war on bacon' topics would have been a clue.
And nobody needs yet another collection of moderates / closeted liberals. TOwnhall, Politico, RCP, PJ Media. meh.

rayra on October 26, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 2:27 PM

You preach to the choir amigo! but as conservatives….we’ve seen this a million times….big media corrupts.

lol….I’m waiting for the first anti-Tea-Party story……just imagine the Hits!!!!

(it’s all about the hits and the ad-revenue….HA is going “mainstream”)

I plan to enjoy the hilarity – there are PLENTY of serious conservative sites now for real commentary.

Tim_CA on October 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I say let the market decide ;-)

Good Lt on October 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM

lol…..”the market” is what’s driving the changes.

Tim_CA on October 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Oh, dear!

There are two really good reasons why Hot Air should not use Disqus for its commenting system:

1. I read somewhere that it’s owned by China. Its ownership appears to be kept private: http://www.privco.com/private-company/disqus
China is not a friend and cares nothing for Internet privacy.

2. The firewall I’m behind blocks Disqus, so I won’t be able to comment any more.

As far as I’m concerned, reason #2 is more important. :-)

Mary in LA on October 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I cordially invite all grouchy conservatives to join us at grouchyconservativepundits.org to discuss the news of the day.
All others can screw off.

rayra on October 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM

All others can screw off.

rayra on October 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Get them to accept Gmail accounts for registration, and we might.

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Some of y’all need to go back and re-read the previous pages of comments: AP has said they will re-enable comments on GR. They are also looking at ‘fixing’ the Headlines/GR/Posts arrangement. Give him a bit of a break – they are responding to the feedback. (Though I think whoever decided the week before a HUGE election was a good time to do this should be stuffed upside down into a well-used portapotty until they come to their senses.)

GWB on October 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Mary in LA on October 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Given the way Disqus commenting apparently works, you won’t be able to read the comments anymore, either. (That’s what happened at The Corner for me.)

GWB on October 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Think they’ll be open in the GR soon. Our tech wizard, Mark, is at a conference today so Ed and I will see if we can figure out how to open them universally.

Allahpundit on October 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM

wait, so you float a major change on a day you DON’T have tech support? Rocket scientists.

rayra on October 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM

GWB on October 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Yup. But even then I’d leave the guy in there.

whatcat on October 26, 2012 at 2:49 PM

With fewer headlines visible, there may will be less engagement and discussion between the commenters (i.e. less traffic).

UltimateBob on October 26, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Anything that slides off the front page of the headlines stops getting commented on. Period. Well, except for people like me who open those threads and sometimes forget it’s an old one and no one will ever read my intelligent and pithy comment.

GWB on October 26, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Get them to accept Gmail accounts for registration, and we might.

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM

‘Them’ is me (and a couple others). We blocked the freemail services because we were getting swarmed with spammer registrations.
But I’ve just removed the gmail block, so give it a whirl

rayra on October 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM

LOL…mad roll-out skillz. I’m impress.

Christien on October 26, 2012 at 2:56 PM

rayra on October 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Just tried…no dice. Thanks anyway.

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM

lol….I’m waiting for the first anti-Tea-Party story……just imagine the Hits!!!!

(it’s all about the hits and the ad-revenue….HA is going “mainstream”)

Tim_CA on October 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM

“Anti-Tea-Party” stories?! Geez, at that point forget going the way of Townhall. We’d be en route to Little Green Footballs territory. Gumby will become the next blogger/admin.

Hilarity aside, I won’t be around to watch it at that point. As you say, plenty of other places.

But for now I am actually very relieved that AP came in here and addressed some of our concerns, even acknowledging the troll problem on Facebook. That’s much more than I expected. It may not lead to reversing all the damage, but it could slow the path to Hell for a while… (once again, par for the course for conservatives.)

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM

rayra on October 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I tried to register but your website refuses to accept GMAIL for registration.

Myself — I have never had a single issue with GMAIL delivering my email. Not even when GMAIL was in beta and invite only. I do have to sometimes CHECK THE SPAM FOLDER once in awhile though.

Accept GMAIL for registration email addresses — PLEASE — and I’m totally in.

HotAir.com — Guaranteed Soft & Squishy™ Or Your Money Back

FlatFoot on October 26, 2012 at 3:04 PM

May I make a suggestion to everyone who reads and appreciates Hot Air? Make it a point to click on one or two of the ads per week. It won’t inconvenience you much and you will be helping to fund the fun.

RushBaby on October 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM

A good suggestion. I try to do that, but I don’t always remember.

GWB on October 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Yes, that’s exactly right. Because Disqus is blocked by the firewall, I can’t see comments at all.

Just say “no” to Communist Chinese comment systems! Unless you want your information stolen and used to commit computer crime, that is.

Mary in LA on October 26, 2012 at 3:04 PM

And while we’re all in here, in the middle of the outrage, let’s remember that as far as we commenters are concerned, Hot Air is “free ice cream”.

Ed, AP, et al.: You work hard to maintain Hot Air, and we all know that. Please take the complaints, not as slams against you, but as a measure of how much we all love this site and the community you’ve created with it.

Mary in LA on October 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM

DISQUS is an awesome commenting platform. It has worked flawlessly for me for years.

All you people crying and whining about DISQUS and the fact that your WORK FIREWALL impedes DISQUS need to GET BACK TO WORK and quit cruising the interwebs on company time and the company dime.

Disqus will work fine for EVERYONE ELSE — and even for you when you get home.

Besides — there are few options to FACEBOOK COMMENTING which will become the norm if you don’t sit down and shut up about your work place mitigating your interwebs screwing off ability.

FlatFoot on October 26, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Oh! I get it now, after these last few comments. Let’s see. The green room writers were unpaid. OK. There was talk of compensation, but the decision was made to fire them all. Excuse me! I think I am reading HuffPo?

Old Country Boy on October 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM

If you Like Your Old Commenting System You Can Keep Your Old Commenting System.

Say it!!

(but we know better)

lol.

Tim_CA on October 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Just tried…no dice. Thanks anyway.

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Well check again in a little while, gmail.com might have got blocked more than once over the years, I’ll go look.

/this evolution has even less forethought in it than axing the Green Room community of commentarians, so bear with me a little.

rayra on October 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

All others can screw off.

rayra on October 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM

IIRC, that’s what Gulf Coast Pundit morphed into, after the LGF Friday Night Massacre people turned on one another.

Christien on October 26, 2012 at 3:16 PM

RAYRA on October 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

This is the message we receive when trying to register using GMAIL as the email account provider.

An Error Has Occurred!

Sorry, E-mail accounts from that provider cannot be used, we have had members reporting emails not being received when using the E-Mail addresses from your provider,please use an alternative email address.We are sorry for the inconvenience caused by your E-Mail provider.

Thank you for looking into it.

FlatFoot on October 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM

ok, gmail really ought to be unblocked now.

oh and we also scratch steaming dung over all social-networking based commenting schemas. The only thing that will limit anyone’s access is occasional foul language triggering your own networks’ net nannies.

rayra on October 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Lots of complaints here about the shrinkage of the Headlines section. We’ll see what we can do about moving stuff around on the front page to expand that.

Allahpundit on October 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I would like that too. Commenting on the “Green Room” posts is a must.

I think the new roll-out without any warning is unsettling. Too much change when we’re all edgy thinking about the election.

I think keeping the “Green Room” name is the problem. I’m not a fan of getting rid of the GR writers and their interesting content (would better promotion of the GR have helped traffic there?), but having a surprise new format launch and keeping the GR name adds to the confusion. Picking a different name would’ve differentiated the old GR format with the new one. Now, we’re all confused and a little miffed at the loss of the GR writers. Also, it seems like extra work for the regular writers, which makes me wonder if the quality of the regular posts will suffer.

Thanks AP for engaging everyone in spite of our complaints.

conservative pilgrim on October 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Hot Air: Change we can believe in!

Cannon Fodder on October 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Gadzooks, that was really off-key! One has to wonder if MeatLoaf is really for Romney after that, or if he is just trying to make him look bad.

Oh, sorry. That comment above was in reference to this column
in the Greenroom, since we can’t comment there anymore.
So I’ll just put it here, if that’s ok. ;)

Sterling Holobyte on October 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

A recommendation, guaranteed to be worth every penny you paid for it:

– Rename “Green Room” as something entirely different. Maybe “Breezeway” or “Breezes” or something else related to wind or air. Or even, “Shooting the Breeze” or “Water Cooler.”
– Instead of it being a section with multiple links under it, make it one link to a single page. Add the titles from the top three or four articles under it, but not as links.
– Each article in the new no-longer-green-room must be short. Make it about a conversation, not a dissertation
– No separate pages for separate articles or separate bloggers. Just add each article to that one page.
– Encourage bloggers to respond to each other. I don’t mean argue, though disagreements aren’t necessarily bad. I mean respond, agree, disagree, reinforce, bring up a related item, etc.
– Let there be comments on each post in the not-green-room, but let the comments only be available through a link. That’s not ideal, but a flood of comments after each article would disrupt the feel of a conversation
– You could still add article-posting privileges to this one page to some of the earlier Green Room writers, with the understanding that a) they have to keep it short b) they must follow certain rules, and c)all articles must be reviewed by one of the main bloggers.

That way, the ungreen room would be an actual addition to the main page with a different purpose and feel, rather than just more links that are just like the ones already on the main page.

Obviously, this is all FWIW. Feel free to use, abuse, disuse, or print out and mock. Or do something else entirely.

There Goes The Neighborhood on October 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Teh suck.

More Headlines.

Less Green Room.

Just stop dicking with it if it ain’t broke.

RedNewEnglander on October 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Christien on October 26, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Yes and No.
GUlf Coast Pundits grew in the wake of Katrina, after a disaster relief effort that began on LGF got bogged down in recriminations when the foal point / distributor of the aid started misappropriating things. Rather than deal with the scammer, Charles Johnson shooed it all off his site.
Later on myself and several other LGF ‘fact checkers’ got fed up with Johnson’s creeping pot schizophrenia and lack of culling of serial liberal trolls. And his stalker-like obsession with what we were saying elsewhere boiled up towards us and other splinter groups (evariste et al). Came to a head over the asinine divisions at LGF over the Gaza relocations and handover. That was the Massacre.
Gulf Coast Pundit continued and grew for about 18-24mos, until it vanished in the middle of the night. In the span of 48hrs I and three others built GCP and rounded up all the refugees, and we’ve been ticking along just fine for over three years.

As for ‘all the Friday NIght Massacre people turned on one another’, no, we’re all pretty much still together. We’re the ‘Banned of Brothers’. Anyone who was around LGF in 2004-2005 ought recognize many of our nics. Other sites of LGF refugees like Blogmocracy etc arose later, as Charles Johnson really got his purges underway, as he swung back into illiberal madness. LGF’s just a sad craphole now, little different from DailyKOS.

rayra on October 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Now we know why Howard said goodbye…

Seven Percent Solution on October 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Good Lt on October 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

As much as I would sometimes love to post a good picture or graph, it would probably make each page ridiculously slow to load. Text comments at least are quick, and you can always post a link.

In the blog world, a picture may be worth a thousand words, but it’s usually bigger than several thousand words.

There Goes The Neighborhood on October 26, 2012 at 4:14 PM

As long as invitations are being extended to places where conservatives can roam wild and free….click on my name to go to the It’s About Liberty forum.

Guaranteed to be free from the tone police and as politically incorrect as you like.

trapeze on October 26, 2012 at 4:23 PM

ok, gmail really ought to be unblocked now.

RAYRA on October 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Gmail was successfully unblocked. Thanks!

Now — after providing only a screen-name, email addy, and password as requested at the site you get this message…

Thank you for registering. The admin must approve your registration before you may begin to use your account, you will receive an email shortly advising you of the admins decision.

Just curious — what’s that all about? I didn’t get an ‘application’ to fill out or anything. Just the aforementioned info was requested. What could an ‘admin’ possibly use to decide if you’re ‘approved’ or not? Just your screen name?

FlatFoot on October 26, 2012 at 4:28 PM

King B on October 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Very disappointing.

I’m guessing the name of the game is monetizing the site and raising the profiles of its contributors and other Town Hall assets.

But why treat the Green Room contributors so shabbily, and show complete disregard for the site membership?

It is unfortunate that the criticisms of site changes since the sale to Town Hall have been largely ignored. These changes make the site load like a drunk climbing the porch stairs at 3am, and just as likely to make a disturbance. The facebook comments are like strangers the drunk brought home from the tavern.

These most recent changes impair the way I use the site, and eliminate some of its most valuable content.

But f the changes benefit the bottom line, you can be sure our complaints will fall on deaf ears.

Keep it up guys. You’re diminishing the site in our eyes, and making it appear that you consider us to be more nuisances than anything else.

novaculus on October 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM

RushBaby on October 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I used to click on several ads each day (I am a sucker for places I already shop) BUT when the in-line ads destroyed my ability to read a page, I finally got AdBlock. No more nuisancy ads, no more nice ads…. no more CBS ads when I watch programs there, either!

Sorry.

But – thanks for a central place where we can all complain about the new HotGas. Looking forward to commenting on Green Room posts (especially that horrendous MeatLoaf musical rendition – dear God, heal my ears!), and seeing more Headlines out front. But I previously found myself reading more and more Green Room posts – I like the variety of authors.

Last complaint? Why would anyone think it interesting to read authors converse with each other? They can already write about anything they choose – even each other’s posts. We need a special place Just. For. That?

momodoom on October 26, 2012 at 4:38 PM

An observation, by the way…the Cokie Roberts and Meatloaf topics could easily be turned into a Friday Night palate cleanser. If so, the redundancy will be dramatic, and it will demonstrate just how redundant, in theory, the “new Green Room” is in regards to the Headlines.

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Weird considering I just talked to AP again about writing for the GR once the kids got settled in school. When I saw the change, I thought “Cool more visibility!” then……I realized we were dumped.

Am I losing my archives? I guess I should save them…I don’t have them anywhere but on HA.

Bee on October 26, 2012 at 4:41 PM

UM. Just answered my own question. Just clicked my own link and all my posts are gone.

I actually was proud of some of that writing. I hope they are still out there…seriously.

Bee on October 26, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Bee on October 26, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Wow, that really sucks if you lose them…

OmahaConservative on October 26, 2012 at 4:45 PM

One more plug for the “It’s About Liberty” forum…

We are all refugees from the defunct Power Line forum (the one that used to be quite open and free before it turned into the mess it is now). We would welcome any and all to become members.

http://www.itsaboutliberty.com or click on my name.

gmail accounts are accepted.

trapeze on October 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM