Welcome to the new Green Room!

posted at 10:41 am on October 26, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Over the last couple of days, you may have noticed some changes in our Green Room, and a few readers expressed some puzzlement over suddenly seeing Allahpundit, Mary Katharine, Erika, Jazz Shaw, Guy Benson, and myself posting our thoughts in that forum.  We’ve decided to repurpose our Green Room into a Hot Air/Townhall conversation area, where your favorite bloggers — and perhaps a few of your favorite radio hosts — can post shorter-form thoughts, debate points amongst each other.

We want to thank our friends who have written in our Green Room over the last few years. They’ve done a great job, and we’ve had a blast working with them.

So what’s next?  We’ll start with the six of us while we’re building some better access to GR posts on our home page, but we’ll shortly be adding some of our Townhall colleagues, and perhaps by next week a few other Salem favorites, too. We hope to have this in full throttle by Election Night, and you can bet we’ll be posting quick updates all night long.  Be sure to keep an eye on the Green Room, because you’ll never know what — or who — to expect there!

Update (AP): In case it’s not obvious, the “More Green Room” link in the box on the Hot Air front page will take you directly to the master Green Room page. You can read everything there with one scroll, a la Instapundit. Links to individual GR posts will cycle off the HA front page quickly, so that’s the easiest way to get caught up on everything if you’re behind.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

Heartache.

blatantblue on October 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM

may a suggest a less green room button on the left side.

renalin on October 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

We’ll see how this works. Not a big fan yet. But change never does come easy.

Bitter Clinger on October 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

No commenting? Must be nice up on that mountain. :P

lorien1973 on October 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Kudos for putting a brave face and spinning this well, Ed. But the fact remains that the talent and ideas at HA have just been severely restricted. And the GreenRoom has been reduced to a redundancy.

Or, as Xzibit might put it:

Yo dawg I herd you like to read blogs so I put a blog in yo blog so you can read while you read

KingGold on October 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Will we be able to make comments?

cmsinaz on October 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

The line to begin complaining starts down there
V

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I don’t like seeing the number of Headlines up top reduced to just six.
Any way the front page could be designed to retain as many featured headlines as was the case before?

Right Mover on October 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Headlines get facebook trolls. Green room gets no commenters at all.

I think I see how this hierarchy works out.

lorien1973 on October 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Green rooms have gone the way of the horse and bayonet

faraway on October 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

So it’s not finished?

Good, because the current (new) version stinks.

CPT. Charles on October 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I dislike the fact that there are now only six Headlines at a time (used to be ten.)

aunursa on October 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

No commenting in the Green Room?

Valkyriepundit on October 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Commenting?

Bmore on October 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

As with the introduction of Facebook comments, this new “Green Room” sucks.

When is HotAir going to learn to gauge consumer support before they just introduce some crap?

Norwegian on October 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Adding the Green Room at top means less stories and they scroll away faster as they are replaced. Maybe I just don’t like change. I am sure I will get used to it.

UncleZeb on October 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I’ve always enjoyed the Green Room.

Savvy.

FlaMurph on October 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM

What happened to the archives from the original Green Room? As of now, they’ve all been disappeared.

sadarj on October 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Yes, we need commenting in the Green Room.
And sad to see long time contributors leaving the GR (don’t know the circumstances, won’t assign blame or whatever.)

rbj on October 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM

aunursa on October 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Totally. It kills the usually light and fun chatting in the headlines area.

lorien1973 on October 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM

aunursa on October 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Concur.

dczombie on October 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM

No more J.E.? No more Howard?

Bmore on October 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM

H A T E I T !!!

Sir Napsalot on October 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Shall we call the Hot Air Green Room — All the Ads, none of the comments? :D

Come on, Ed. Let’s get the comments active in the GR.

And I agree about the Headlines. It’d be nice to have 8-10 recent headlines rather than 6, so that way I don’t miss anything.

Nethicus on October 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Norwegian on October 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Relax and pop open a can of New Coke.

whatcat on October 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I’m going to miss seeing some of the old GR contributors, like Jennifer Dyer and Howard Portnoy… :(

oddball on October 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I’ll read the Green Room when sharks fly

faraway on October 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I don’t like seeing the number of Headlines up top reduced to just six.

Right Mover on October 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I don’t know why it couldn’t. I expect the reduction is just so that the main blog isn’t scrolled off-screen for anybody with a 768 tall monitor resolution.

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Resistance is Futile… You will be assimilated…

SWalker on October 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Yeah, this makes no sense.

Someone needs to rethink the sitemap.

You’re layering the same content, three times.

I’m not going to throw out the big questions, because I’m not getting paid for this.

But you’re off course.

Of this is some Townhall inroad, have fun.

budfox on October 26, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Still not sure I get it. Is the idea for you and AP and the others to be able to just throw out mini posts without having to craft them into full-length entries?

Was the regular GR crew consulted about the change?

Spannerhead on October 26, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Please go back to 10 headlines. Also, the double block at the top of the page is distracting/annoying/ugly.

ElectricPhase on October 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Ed – headlines have been the best part of the site for a while now. Don’t reduce their footprint on the homepage. The variety of stories made it fun. Now it’s 40% less fun. :(

It’s the 21st century. Use Ajax to let us shrink or expand sections of the site.

lorien1973 on October 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

As with the introduction of Facebook comments, this new “Green Room” sucks.

Norwegian on October 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Agreed. I’d rather see more headlines (and without the facebook clutter). I don’t even read those and skip right to the “legal” commenters who weren’t granted amnesty.

The site looks too cluttered now with this change.

TxAnn56 on October 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Re-posting from the Obamateurism of the Day thread:

Ed, I dislike the new Green Room format. If you guys want to create something similar to The Corner over at National Review that’s great, but don’t disable commenting. Personally I don’t come here because I want to silently wrap myself in your writing. While I think all of the bloggers at HA do an excellent job (most of the time), being able to comment is what makes this place great. I can go anywhere to read people’s pontifications without talking back at them.

I personally won’t read the Green Room until commenting is allowed. I am just one person, and maybe the new format will be a roaring success, but it isn’t something I will enjoy. Thank you.

NotCoach on October 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Green Room material: so brief, it’s hardly worth clicking.

Dextrous on October 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Good Move.
Given time constraints, it’s all too easy to overlook the excellent posts in The Green Room. Oft’times, one must pick and choose. Front and Center works well.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on October 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Salem’s “The Corner“? That’s a good idea, but I lament the loss of contributions of the Green Room authors.

Why couldn’t this new configuration be called something new, and leave the Green Room as it was? – it was fantastic content.

Also – It seems that this is at the sacrifice of some of the Headlines list display space. And as Allahpundit points out, the new Green Room list will churn quickly, might as well make a bigger space for the list in the right column.

Can I suggest that the new Green Room link list move to the right side column (by losing the first two display ads) so that the Headlines can remain more prominent? Maybe lose the “Recent Tags” list and shift the current right column content down two spaces?

Lastly – why role this out now? Twelve days before a landmark election? – very distracting.

juanito on October 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Conservatives hate change…..take over the regular green room…..don’t be insulated like Obama, allow comments.

PleaseFlyOver on October 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

AP, can do you this new Green room not at the expensive of the headlines? I see where you are going, Headlines, Light Blogging (sort of like twitter for faster posts), then detailed Blogging.

However, I think you should show at least 10 headlines. If not, they really don’t serve a purpose.

Oil Can on October 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Norwegian on October 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Hotair is like bloated government. Just lay back take it. You have no choice.

lorien1973 on October 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Are you guys going to get rid of the FB comments, or just ignore the torrent of complaints?

wargamer6 on October 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM

aunursa on October 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

+100. The new formatting sux. Why don’t you add some more clutter so there are only two headline links? That appears to be the dimwitted trend as we get fewer and fewer headlines. Dumb. As I frequently tell my clients, not all motion is progress.

rcpjr on October 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Commenting?

Bmore on October 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Will we be able to make comments?

cmsinaz on October 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

…*Salem*…”shut up and eat your peas!”

KOOLAID2 on October 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Considering that this is about changes to the site, and Facebook has already been mentioned, I’ll address this directly (again).

Note about Facebook commenting: Hot Air is experimenting with using Facebook for commenting. Right now, it is only the Headlines section of the site that will have Facebook comments.

If this is an experiment as the above blurb states, then hasn’t it run long enough for the results of the experiment to be clear? The result has been trolls.

So wouldn’t the continuation of Facebook in the headlines section or anywhere be determined as to whether Hot Gas would want more or fewer trolls? Logic would dictate that the optimal “fewer trolls” path would mean removing Facebook commenting from the site.

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Why am I hearing Axel Rose singing “Wel, wel, welcome to the jungle” in the background?

OkieDoc on October 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Down Twinkles

Naturally Curly on October 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Bring back Michelle. :-)

Ronnie on October 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Yeah, I’m really confused about the Green Room now. We need to read every single thing that goes back and forth between the bloggers before they post it to Headlines now? Also, why is the Headlines section so small? Headlines will drop off the screen long before many could comment at this rate. Are we only supposed to comment on the Main posts lower down now?

Rocks on October 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Good Move.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on October 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Except that those excellent posts wont be there anymore, the Green Room is now for Tweets.

SWalker on October 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I suggest you run a poll on HA about this format…before the election. Don’t act like the Senate on Libya.

PleaseFlyOver on October 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Not digging new format at all .

“How do you feel about change, Garth ?”

” We fear change. “

DeweyWins on October 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Let the conversation begin!

Ironic that you can’t comment in the Green Room, Ain’t it.

dirtseller on October 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Karl Magnus on October 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Well, yes, but the Green Room isn’t the Green Room any more. All the outside writers have been jettisoned, and it’s now (especially since comments are verboten) just an echo chamber for the site’s staff writers.

KingGold on October 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

If the new “Green Room” has precisely zero commonality with the old Green Room, why not just add a new feature to the blog? Why is it necessary to evict the Green Room writers?

sadarj on October 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I don’t like it.

joekenha on October 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I, for one, like the new format. Perhaps there could be more headlines if they were spaced more closely together; might help set them apart from the green room links as well.

JackForce on October 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

No thanks, I’ll skip it.

vityas on October 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Get rid of the Facebook comments! They’re useless!

wargamer6 on October 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Does Tina Korbe ever post in the Green Room?

Dack Thrombosis on October 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Green Room contributors…thanks for posting, now don’t let the door hit you on the way out..

right2bright on October 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Commenting?

Bmore on October 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Will we be able to make comments?

cmsinaz on October 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

…*Salem*…”shut up and eat your peas!”

KOOLAID2 on October 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Resistance is Futile… You will be assimilated…

SWalker on October 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM

SWalker on October 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Couldn’t you guys just text each other?

Dante on October 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Bring back the full headlines. Those are the best part of the site on most days.

gophergirl on October 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I think it’s more for up/down scrolling on mobile devices than for PC monitors.

whatcat on October 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Dumb and useless move. The green room went from something useful to something useless. Hot Air is just about completely de-Malkinized now.

wildcat72 on October 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM

What was wrong with how it was before?

changer1701 on October 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

If my goal is to increase page views on a little viewed area of the site and my site is a blog. I probably wouldn’t disable comments in that area. Discuss.

Then again, I wouldn’t diminish an area of the site by 40% that did get a lot of views. But that’s me.

lorien1973 on October 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Trolls or not, all Facebook commenters have been ignored. They’ve added nothing to headline discussions. Many of us also block entirely their posts by using Firefox and Do Not Track.

NotCoach on October 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Did anybody get all the links to the Green Room folks before the overlords axed the old place?

I got a few before they went away.

Portnoy’s place only allows facebook commenting…bummer.

Was it Patrick with the excellent poll analysis?

Sarjex kind off faded and couldn’t find one for her.

And the guy who had the inside information on the NEA?

cozmo on October 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Norwegian on October 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Quiet, do you want to be banned??

Yu vill lik de new program, yu vill learn to luv new program, or yu vill be dismissed…

right2bright on October 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Dumbest idea ever. Let’s go over what this “accomplishes”:

1. Elimination of numerous talented bloggers.
2. Elimination of ability of commentary on their articles.
3. Elimination of Headlines lifespan by reducing the number that can appear on the front page.
4. Redundancy of many Headlines posts as the “new Green Room” posts have already copied them in near-real-time.
5. Elimination of the ability of commentary on these “new Green Room” posts.
6. More scrolling required to see the actual posts on Hot Air.
7. More work required for the main authors.
8. Less interaction with the community.

Pretty much everything that made Hot Air popular has now either been watered down or demolished. What’s even sadder is that there hasn’t really been another site like it.

Congrats, Salem Communications. You burned the place to the ground. I hope you’re proud of the ashes.

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

gophergirl on October 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Agreed.

NotCoach on October 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM

WHO MOVED MY CHEESE !!!! LOL

OT- Sun Sentinel ENDORSES ROMNEY!!!! OH MY !

THIS is a BFD kids.

FlaMurph on October 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM

How is the Green Room different from regular Hot Air anyway?

J.S.K. on October 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM

No thanks, I’ll skip it.

vityas on October 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Get rid of the Facebook comments! They’re useless!

wargamer6 on October 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM

aunursa on October 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

+1. Just getting in line.

Christian Conservative on October 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Norwegian on October 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Quiet, do you want to be banned??

right2bright on October 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Resistance is Futile… You will be assimilated…

SWalker on October 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM

PLEASE put a “previous” button at the bottom of the main Green Room page. I want to be able to find older GR posts.

Please!

Abby Adams on October 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I will miss the variety of writers (trimmed the budget eh?) I like the idea that the OPs can be short, this presumably economizes on the energy it takes to produce a super-polished essay-style post in the main archives and adds more content. I like the prominent new placement of the Green Room entries; it should result in considerably more readership.

Anyway, thanks for posting this, hopefully it will get the vast bulk of the discussion and the actual Green Room things (when comments get activated) will receive on-topic remarks.

RushBaby on October 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Seeing a lot of complaints. I somewhat agree. I’ve seen a lot of people on other blogs say they come here for the headlines. Headlines are a great way to see what’s going on around the Internet. Cutting those could result in a decrease in traffic.

Dack Thrombosis on October 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Kind of a shame they got the boot right before the election.

Ronnie on October 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Is this going to be like “investments” in Green Energy?

Seriously, though, I think it’s a mistake to reduce the number of Headlines down to 6, since with 10 there’s less chance that you’ll miss an important one or two over a period of a few hours. Most of us don’t have time to stay constantly on the site — after all, we have jobs that we built or that someone built.

TXUS on October 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Actually, the Green Room, I never read, it was lengthy articles by posters who often just wrote, and wrote, and wrote, and wrote, so they can read what they wrote.

This more concise format will help encourage comments…

right2bright on October 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I think it’s more for up/down scrolling on mobile devices than for PC monitors.

whatcat on October 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM

As I absolutely refuse to join the 2010s and get such a thing, I wouldn’t know. How would an extra two rows headlines affect scrolling there?

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Couldn’t you guys just text each other?
Dante on October 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Or embed yall’s Twitter streams in a page, as when the debates were going on?

whatcat on October 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I am already missing the news headlines up top.

CoffeeLover on October 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Also, more distrubting that the new format, I just saw a banner ad for Catherter and Urology Supplies. Can we filter those ads. /s

Oil Can on October 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM

juanito on October 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Captive audience. After the election, not so much.

cozmo on October 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM

i have a feeling at some point ed will be blaming a youtube video for this.

t8stlikchkn on October 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Let the conversation begin!

This subtitle is #NotOptimal …

ShainS on October 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Resistance is Futile… You will be assimilated…

SWalker on October 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Yu haf been given gold status for your loyalty comrade…

right2bright on October 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Translated:

We were kind of tired of being limited to only posting our opinions on the front page and choosing the headlines while unpaid bloggers had the luxury of the sidebar, so we took that, too.

I know…maybe it’s not Ed’s idea, but don’t talk to us like we’re children.

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Instead of getting rid of its Green Room contributors, Hot Air should have gotten rid of gumbyandpokey.

Right Mover on October 26, 2012 at 11:00 AM

all that change, and y’all decided it all by yourselves? amazing…who needs input from readers about layout and content anyway ?

runner on October 26, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Hey Change is good ~ unless it originates from Chicagoians!

angrycodgr on October 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM

NotCoach on October 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

So then the experiment has resulted in at best no gain. At worst more trolls for those who wish to engage with trolls.

Plus months of complaining about how Facebook stinks, which is sure to pick up again now that another major change has been made to the site.

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM

A suggestion: Put the Greenroom on the RH side of the page, where “Latest at HotAir” section is at and reinstate the former headline format.

Besides that, hotair is a superb site.

portlandon on October 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM

If you are entirely re-engineering the “Green Room” area, call it something else because it is not a “Green Room” in the conventional sense at all. In the past, promoting “Green Room” articles to the prominent section of the site made sense given what the term “Green Room” means. You are saying that you have no plans to do anything similar with the mini-blogs, so why call it the “Green Room”?

Other complaints: HA lost some good talent with this decision. I need more headlines, 8-10. The trend is toward an unreadable, unmanageable site in the fashion of Townhall.

DrStock on October 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM

One word for this: SUCKS. And yeah, words still matter.

WordsMatter on October 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Resistance is Futile… You will be assimilated…

SWalker on October 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Did it with Mitt. Once was enough. I don’t smoke Tarytons either.

cozmo on October 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM