Video: Morning Joe and the second-term agenda

posted at 11:21 am on October 26, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

While most of you were still sleeping, I was getting up early (even for us Midwestern types) to make my first appearance on MSNBC’s Morning Joe.  Some of you were awake and tweeting me about going into the lion’s den, but I like Morning Joe because it has at least some diversity of opinion and approach.  This segment goes on a little longer than I had thought, but it flew by for me because I was having a great time.  This was a lot of fun, but Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinksi allowed me to make my arguments in an engaging and open way.  Check it out for yourself:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

When I get a chance to laugh, have fun, and still talk seriously about politics without getting nasty, I call that a win all the way around.  Big thanks to Joe and Mika for inviting me on board today.  Equally fun was the reaction on Twitter, as these few examples show:

No kidding.

And more to the point, they allowed me to do so.

Equal time:

Well, I had a great time, anyway. Hope most of you did as well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ed, the next time Mika says “The math doesn’t add up.”

Remember, your replies are :
“Did you fail math in school? This is probably why it doesn’t add up for you.”

Or the good standby….

“Just because you keep saying that, it still doesn’t make it true.”

LoganSix on October 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Probably a little too antagonistic. Remember, that Mika gets her talking points straight from other liberals. So corner her on it…

“Explain to me how the math doesn’t add up, because the Princeton economics professor who examined Romney’s plan vouched for its integrity.”

And if Mika persists, point out that the Obama campaign used the analysis from the Tax Policy Center which was based on that professor’s analysis, but messed up the conclusion and was outed by that same professor. Even CNN got Stephanie Cutter, Obama spokeswoman, to admit that the TPC analysis was flawed.

“So why are you, along with the Obama campaign, furthering an analysis that has already been shown to be completely false, and admitted to being false by Obama’s own campaign spokeswoman?”

dominigan on October 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Ok, I admit… my approach is antagonistic too. Probably why Ed is on TV and we aren’t! :)

dominigan on October 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Congrats Ed. Great job!

Ted Torgerson on October 26, 2012 at 1:36 PM

dominigan on October 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Yes. Because I would have also said, “Joe, whose this “we” you keep talking about? When did you become a conservative?”

LoganSix on October 26, 2012 at 1:37 PM

What NBC needs is more Ed Morrissey..! Great job!

d1carter on October 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Who’s this Dave Jones person and where do I have to go to punch him in the nose?

Cindy Munford on October 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Good grief, Ed, you enjoyed that? If I hear “the math doesn’t add up” one more time, I am gonna puke. Why didn’t you hammer them with the math does add up – it’s simple – more people working means less people draining the coffers and actually adding to the pot. If the oil industry was allowed to unleash it’s people and develop America’s untapped resources, the employment boom would be an employment bomb of high (income tax paying) jobs. The spin-offs from those jobs drags the whole economy along for the ride. How come the math added up for Reagan but not for Romney? Sheesh!

pos4thst on October 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Great appearance Ed. Your factual answers were a welcome relief compared to all the moronic bluster coming from everyone else.

WhatSlushfund on October 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Ed, the next time Mika says “The math doesn’t add up.”

Retort back ED…

“yeah, you’re right Mika, the math doesn’t add up! You getting $2,000,000 bucks per year to sit at this desk, drinking java,…wouldn’t it be more cost-efficient for MSNBC to just put a ‘box of rocks’ here next to Joe ?

“It would be smarter, better looking, wouldn’t drink coffee, and wouldn’t cost $2,000,000 bucks a year.”

BigSven on October 26, 2012 at 4:15 PM

That’s not fair. I think she looks great for a 68 year old liberal.

Jaibones on October 26, 2012 at 5:26 PM

dominigan on October 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I think having someone like Ed going on the show does more good then harm and would encourage him to spend more time in the “lions den” so to speak.

Let’s face it facts are facts when you think with your brain instead of you heart so having conservatives appear on MSNBC that can handle the facts well is necessary. If Ed reached one person that decided to switch to Rommney (well being compensated for it?) I see nothing wrong with it.

If I went on the show my talking points would have been more like Sean Connery in the old SNL skits so someone like me would be a disaster.

F15Mech on October 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM

S/B Romney not Rommney sorry typing on my iPad.

F15Mech on October 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM

…fluke dave jones!

KOOLAID2 on October 27, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Oh Ed that was smooth! Your class showing up beside Eugene’s big headed, narrow minded bigotry-thought not so much on display here-was off the charts. The best they could do was giggle like little children after being caught too many times, hands in the cookie jar, and it was about to be taken from them (very soon).
And Mika doesn’t look a day over 60!

onomo on October 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM

That took a lot of courage. Thank you Ed!

HellCat on October 28, 2012 at 12:54 AM