Lone Star state to int’l poll watchers: Be ready for some Texas justice

posted at 12:41 pm on October 26, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

The Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), an international organization that works with the United Nations and takes it upon itself to promote the causes of human rights, freedom, and fair elections, has often monitored the election processes in various countries — and in horribly corrupt and even violent places like Sudan or Uganda or Nicaragua, I think everyone can agree that those definitely sound like some admirably spent resources.

Why the organization should decide to divert any of their resources towards monitoring the United States’ elections, when there are so many egregious human-rights violations elsewhere in the world, is a little more mysterious — but it becomes less so when it’s at the behest of certain liberal interest groups. The OSCE started sending poll watchers in 2002, but this year, they plan to deploy a 57-ambassador strong “election observation mission” to various locations around the U.S.

Texas, anyway, doesn’t seem to find the motive behind the election-monitoring all that mysterious. They’re wondering if the OSCE’s interest mightn’t have something to do with various states’ efforts to crack down on voter fraud with voter ID laws (or, as certain circles deceptively refer to them, “disenfranchisement,” “intimidation,” and/or “suppression” of poor or minority voters). In a letter to the State Department, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott reminded the organization that the United States is a nation of laws and that their ostensibly noble goals do not mean that they are above letter of Texas law, via Fox News:

“The OSCE may be entitled to its opinions about Voter ID laws, but your opinion is legally irrelevant in the United States,” Abbott wrote in a letter this week to the OSCE.

He went on to remind representatives that they are not allowed to enter a polling place, and cautioned against going within 100 feet of the entrance. “Failure to comply with these requirements could subject the OSCE’s representatives to criminal prosecution for violating state law,” he wrote.

The letter touched off a flurry of testy tweets and correspondence that brought in Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to play ref. Janez Lenarcic, director of the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights, fired off a letter to Clinton to complain — which was followed by a letter from Abbott to Clinton reiterating his concerns.

“The threat of criminal sanctions against OSCE/ODIHR observers is unacceptable,” Lenarcic said in a statement. “The United States, like all countries in the OSCE, has an obligation to invite ODIHR observers to observe its elections.”

Texas is not impressed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

In this weekend’s elections, Vitali Klitschko is likely to face the worst robbery of his life since the Lennox Lewis fight was stopped, and Ukraine is sending monitors here. Unbelievable.

Gingotts on October 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM

How about a cattle prod up theirs?

Archivarix on October 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM

You hicks should be forcibly disarmed, too.

- OSCE

OhEssYouCowboys on October 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM

We need to send the UN back to Europe.

Oil Can on October 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Why will the UN observers be sent to Texas, where everyone including Obama himself knows in advance that Romney will win?

Why not send the observers to places like Ohio or Wisconsin, where any voter fraud / irregularity might make a difference?

Steve Z on October 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM

YEE-HAW!

SMACKRUNNER on October 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

UN out of US, US out of UN.

Rebar on October 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Can someone tell me why we are still hosting the UN and are still members of that recalcitrant organization?

belad on October 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Very proud to be a Texan right now. Piss off, UN.

Weight of Glory on October 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Look at the countries in the org and where the monitors are coming from. They have no business “observing” anything here, unless it’s to see how it’s done.

changer1701 on October 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Give them a scare: strap them onto a gurney and start an IV and then wheel them out.

Blake on October 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Good for Texas. Fluke the UN. These obnoxious pricks have no business sticking their noses in our election process, and good on Texas for reminding these busybody communists that election law applies to them as well.

NotCoach on October 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I hope they show up at my polling place so I can tell them to FO right to their faces.

VegasRick on October 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Really? Why is that exactly?

Bitter Clinger on October 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I might give them a pass if they were going to Philly as well. But they’re not.

Zaggs on October 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Alternate headline… “Attny Gen sticking up for the rights of its citizens to vote without intimidation.” Not Holder–yeesh!

Green Muse on October 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Again, since when do federal treaties/agreements apply to the states if not ratified by congress? They don’t.

Blake on October 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I think that We Are The World should be played, at all voting places, so Europe can feel really good about our election process.

Oh, and that includes Muzak versions – so the EuroTrash will really like us.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Definitely don’t send them to Chicago. There may be something to observe. That would be embarrassing.

STL_Vet on October 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Re; Rebar…..dittoes

SMACKRUNNER on October 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

A tree and some rope.

bgibbs1000 on October 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Man…they have very obviously NEVER tangled with Texans. What a very stupid thing for them to do. But I’m here in Houston and I say BRING IT…if you stupidly dare…

Ltlgeneral64 on October 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

The UN is the 2012 version of the New Black Panthers.

We don’t take kindly to interlopers in Texas politics. No, sir, we don’t.

madmonkphotog on October 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Isn’t also deer season in Texas? Watch out UN, their blood is up.

I love to hear the UN people talk to the locals. Someone needs to tape this. The locals will tear them a new A.

Oil Can on October 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Obama requested one for every state, then?

KingGold on October 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM

This is going to be good. The goons will either back off, or send hippies as “poll watchers” who will deliberately get themselves arrested while yelling (in a shrill voice, of course) about rights, or social justice, or whatever the empty feel-good phrase of the day might be.

Mr. Prodigy on October 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Makes me almost wish I lived in Texas.

aunursa on October 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I’m waiting until election day to vote in Texas, just because I’m hoping for observers – UN, New Black Panthers, Code Pink, it doesn’t really matter.

tomg51 on October 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Or Jimmy Carter. I hope I get Jimmy Carter & NBPs.

tomg51 on October 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Rumor has it that the UN “observers” are wearing 10 gallon wide brimmed hats and tight jeans with boots with serving platters as belt buckles so they don’t “stand out” against the natives :P

/s

Defenestratus on October 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Nope, not at all true. We’re a sovereign nation, we don’t have any obligation to let any country or international organization do anything within our borders unless we’ve signed a treaty that says we do. And I don’t remember any “let the UN monitor our elections” treaty.

Cyhort on October 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Why do we continue to borrow money to give to the UN? The UN is far beyond the point of being the useful idiot.

tnarch on October 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

TheOSCE started this garbage after the 2000 elections.

kingsjester on October 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Love me some Texas.

That’s where I plan to bug-out to when the Zombie Apocalypse hits. Gonna’ do handyman work for food and stuff from the nice self-reliant well-armed folks there. Shhh…

Tsar of Earth on October 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I’m an Okie but wish I was a Texan right now. FUOSCE!

morbius on October 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

tomg51 on October 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM

And, sometimes, a little assault & battery is worth going to jail for.

Some asses just need to be kicked.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Cyhort on October 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I’m not sure such a treaty would be constitutional anyways. The Constitution is clear about the states authority concerning the election process. Such a treaty would most likely usurp the constitutional authority the states have over the election process.

NotCoach on October 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I’m an Okie but wish I was a Texan right now. FUOSCE!

morbius on October 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I’m an Okie, too. I love Texas and I always have. I love Okie, too. I love our neck of the woods.

Salt of the earth.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM

tomg51 on October 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Old news.

The UN has promised to obey the Texas laws for poll watchers. There ain’t gonna’ be any blue helmets, or even berets, in Texas polling places. The pinks and panthers already know better.

Other states, not so much.

cozmo on October 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I voted on Tuesday, there were a few black folks waving 0bama signs well past the 100 foot limit, but that was it.

Are these UN jokers wearing anything that makes them identifiable at a distance?

Rebar on October 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM

The map of America is going to look funny with Texas and Alaska being the last parts of it.

KMC1 on October 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Rebar on October 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Smug looks of superiority.

NotCoach on October 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM

We love eurotrash here in Texas.

With BBQ sauce, they kind of taste like armadillo. Goes good with Shiner Bock.

NoDonkey on October 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Other states, not so much.

cozmo on October 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Rats. Guess I’ll just bring a stuffed rabbit in case Jimmy makes it.

tomg51 on October 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Here’s a fix to the voter ID issue. You show your sorry butt up to vote without ID, you get your ID on the spot. Smile. Your temporary ID and ballot are handed to you. Your permanent one will arrive in the mail.

Poll watchers can review the photos after the fact or in real time. Fraud can be nullified by submitting a straight ticket ‘R’ ghost ballot.

bbhack on October 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM

This is an idiotic move from UN.

TheAlamos on October 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Here’s the deal, conservative groups should request that OSCE send “watchers” to Philly, Ohio, Wisconsin or anyplace the left is likely to try intimidation or cheating. Benefit is two fold 1. They will most likely refuse, in which case it shows them to be the hypocrites they are, or 2. It will dilute their effort to portray states with meaningful voter ID laws as fascist police states.

morbius on October 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Gallup Today:

R: 51% (+1)

O: 46% (-1)

R +5

Resist We Much on October 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Steve Z on October 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM

They are in Ohio already.

And

Bill Clinton says Texas is Blue state.

William Amos on October 26, 2012 at 1:03 PM

My wife is from Texas. She brings new meaning to the word “feisty”. Knows how to shoot too!

dhugh on October 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Love me some Texas.

Tsar of Earth on October 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Why wait? The borders will be closed by then.

bbhack on October 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Gallup Today:

R: 51% (+1)

O: 46% (-1)

R +5

Resist We Much on October 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM

But, I thought Gallup was tightening? No worries, Obama is still up 100% on InTrade.

midgeorgian on October 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM

UN-related vote monitors warn Texas: Don’t mess with us. My response: BRING IT. Official letter to follow reut.rs/WK2dj0

— Greg Abbott (@GregAbbott_TX) October 25, 2012

How I love our Attorney General.

RushBaby on October 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM

We love eurotrash here in Texas.

With BBQ sauce, they kind of taste like armadillo. Goes good with Shiner Bock.

NoDonkey on October 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Great beer. I like the dark, especially.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Forget telling them they are not welcome in texas… I wont the entire worthless lot packed up and shipped back to Geneva so we can make better use of that valuable real estate in NYC…

The state of NY can give the various nations fair market value for all that gucci mucci real estate in Manhattan being used as un embassies and then sell it to offset the state deficit.

Tilly on October 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I would assume that most of the OECD poll watchers are from other OECD member states and I would expect that photo ID is required to vote in all of them except UK. The US no ID necessary policy is an exception not the rule in the world.

Looking at this from Europe it is very difficult to understand how this can be an issue. Of course you want to put at least the minimum safeguards up that nobody loses their vote due to a fraud. If there’s a problem that not everybody has the necessary ID, then the democrats should be pushing to make sure that everybody has it. It is after all the 21st century.

kittysaidwoof on October 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Don’t mess with Texas.

texanpride on October 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM

…is there a UN penalty if we should tar and feather them…as long as we don’t do any bodily harm?

KOOLAID2 on October 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Here’s a fix to the voter ID issue.
bbhack on October 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I bring voter registration card, TX DL, and US Passport.
I’m voting even they have already crossed off my name.

tomg51 on October 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Gov. Perry & Texas Atty. Gen Abbott Rock!

Don’t Mess With Texas

workingclass artist on October 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Perry should just have a Texas Ranger meet them at the airport and put them on the next plane out.

opustx on October 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM

midgeorgian on October 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM

It was. In GumbyWorld, the claynoggin claimed that Romney was just bleeding support and Obama was consistently gaining.

Actually, the news on Gallup is worse than just the outlier sample falling off. That would have caused an immediate bump for Obama. But this has been a point or two each day, Romney just bleeding support and Obama consistently gaining.

Went from 52-45 to 50-47.

gumbyandpokey on October 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Resist We Much on October 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Could it be that the “impartial” socialist/communist/marxist UN
observers will falsely conclude election irregularities in most of our states attributed to conservatives (I know, what a stretch)?

Then the socialist/communist/marxist Obama thug regime will have
to issue a halt to the election results (of course, only when Romney wins), etc. because the UN found false massive voter fraud?

I smell a rat and predict lawsuits all over the place. I know it
sounds way out there, however, with everything else this thug regime does, I wouldn’t put anything past them.

That is why we need to vote; Romney’s win must be huge so there
can be no false claims against the vote counts.

Amjean on October 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Any chance of this becoming a Pay-per-view event? early Xmas gift maybe? I’d buy a straight to DVD release…..

Renee on October 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

My polling place is close to The Alamo…..just sayin’….

NOMOBO on October 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

It is the 21st century, and the UN is a joke. Don’t mess with Texas in the 21st Century.

texanpride on October 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

When the next civil war starts, Im heading to Texas to help them defend liberty.

Machismo on October 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Here’s a Texan lovin me some Greg Abbott right about now.

Houston_Ag on October 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Bill Clinton says Texas is Blue state.

William Amos on October 26, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Bill, 1976 called and would like its disco ball, platform shoes and leisure suit back.

Resist We Much on October 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I hope Perry has Texas Rangers at the polls in Austin…It will be epic!

workingclass artist on October 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

It’s all just another transparent message from the world’s left. The USA cannot be trusted–unless it’s run by the left.
Nothing to see here. Invite them in and let the steers loose.

Don L on October 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM

[OSCE -] Some asses just need to be kicked.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

To the liberty to edit a bit and send to Snorg Tees. Available early next week.

Tsar of Earth on October 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM

midgeorgian on October 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I pray that none of the people making “bets” on inTrade work in finance (or really anywhere where a brain is required). The 64% betting on Obama are complete and utter idiots (and yes, that same logic applies to Nate Silver).

At best Obama has a 50/50 shot at winning. At worst, Romney should be a 4 to 1 favorite to win at this point.

milcus on October 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

…and in horribly corrupt and even violent places like Sudan or Uganda or Nicaragua, I think everyone can agree that those definitely sound like some admirably spent resources.

Actually, Erika, this is not true. Consider the debacle of the elections in Zimbabwe a few years back. Without a way to enforce the results of the election, the accurate counts from the UN teams only enable the dictators to do the following:

1. Know exactly by what margin to inflate their own vote totals in order to be the official winner; and

2. Know exactly which districts voted which way, and send thugs to beat the crap out of those who dared to vote the wrong way.

That is exactly what happened in Robert Mugabe’s Zimbabwe.

jwolf on October 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

If the UN wants to monitor something, then monitor the freaking voting booths in Philidelphia, Cleveland and St. Louis. That’s were the fraud originates.

Thomas More on October 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

We love eurotrash here in Texas.

With BBQ sauce, they kind of taste like armadillo. Goes good with Shiner Bock.

NoDonkey on October 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Great beer. I like the dark, especially.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM

They make some great other beers as well, I particularly like their Pale Ale (Wild Hare) and their Black Lager (much better than the one Guinness makes).

I need to take that brewery tour.

God blessed Texas.

NoDonkey on October 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

midgeorgian on October 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Went from 52-45 to 50-47.

gumbyandpokey on October 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Resist We Much on October 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Can you imagine how much pepto or alka-seltzer will be ingested in Gumby and other Obama poll trolls basement living quarter today?

oldroy on October 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Thank God for Texas! At least they fight for state rights.

I hope these UN observers are going to Chicago to learn how
“fraud really is done”. They could get a PHD in fraud education.

Amjean on October 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Leathers Jensen and Melanie Conny (Denmark & UK) are supposed to show up in Austin…and I hope they are served some decent BBQ Pork in the Austin Jail whilst listening to Texas Gospel music.

Bring It!

workingclass artist on October 26, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Dang! It’s great to be a Texan! Go ahead…mess with Texas!(make our day).

cartooner on October 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I bring voter registration card, TX DL, and US Passport.
I’m voting even they have already crossed off my name.

tomg51 on October 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Moved to SC. Registered for 2008 election – didn’t receive card. Voted Provisional.

Just changed address – re-registered – got TWO cards.

Dare me?

Tsar of Earth on October 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Where I come from it’s all mail in.

Democrats pretty much win all major state elections. Sometimes by as much as a few hundred (found after the election) votes. We could probably use some UN observers in Washington State sad to say.

WitchDoctor on October 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Told Perry thanks but that if this UN group comes, he should bring Texas Rangers and personally stand in the doorway of whichever polling place to prevent their entry, with cameras rolling.

TXUS on October 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Abbott has been a great AG for our state! There are many really good AG’s and it seems most are in the ‘red’ states.

I wonder if holder has his fingerprints on this? He sure the heck hates our state almost as much as the epa!
L

letget on October 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Abbott & Perry tell State Dept. & UN to F*ck Off and stay out of Texas on election day…

They’ve been telling the same thing to the EPA…DOJ…etc. since 2008.

workingclass artist on October 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Elections in Europe don’t require ID?
How do you get plugged into the massive European superstate redistribution of your “rights” and “benefits” without ID?

gwelf on October 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I hope they are at my polling place, I’ll tell them where they can take their UN observations…

burserker on October 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM

How do you have “an obligation to invite?”

FiveG on October 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Steve Z on October 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Because Texas is a southern state that recently passed a Voter ID law.

Odysseus on October 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Because the UN is sooooo legitimate.

Warner Todd Huston on October 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I’ve already told my husband that if this happens here, I’m going to show up like I walk around my house: barefooted, braless, hair uncombed, no makeup, with whateverthehell I’ve put on that morning and will bring my Shillelagh. I’ll scream like bloody hell as I run toward them with my hand upraised brandishing the same if one of them approaches a voting place less than 100 yards (what the AG has stipulated).

That alone should cause them to drop their drawers and think twice about coming closer.

I wouldn’t think twice about taking a swing at one of them if they get too close…..just close enough to miss but scare the bejeebus out of them. I’m a some years from 60. Not a pretty sight if I choose to be so. I may go to jail. Don’t care.
Not kiddin.

avagreen on October 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM

TXUS on October 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Yeah…Adios Mofo! (Perry can say it in Danish so Leathers understands it)

workingclass artist on October 26, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Greg Abbott rocks! Best AG we’ve had in awhile.

txsurveyor on October 26, 2012 at 1:24 PM

If they show up at my polling place here, they’re going to learn some Texas hospitality, real quick. BRING IT!

TXUS on October 26, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Thomas More on October 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

This group is doing that. Heard them interviewed yesterday on IQ106.9 in Philly.

rah1420 on October 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM

GAWD I love my state. This is a bright spot while dealing with the fury and outrage over our men being murdered by their own government in Benghazi.

juliesa on October 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Steve Z on October 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Because Texas is a southern state that recently passed a Voter ID law.

Odysseus on October 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Yep, we’re just two seconds from slipping back into Bull Connors, Boss Hogg, Tammany Hall and Confederate Mules in every pot.

Those UN boys will keep us on the straight and narrow.

NoDonkey on October 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Husband said he wouldn’t put it past me.

I’m pizzed!

avagreen on October 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM

As a fourth generation Texan, I can tell you that this has people here really pissed off. Some blue helmet get between me and my rights, I will personally make them eat a copy of the Constitution.

We are not kidding.

gordo on October 26, 2012 at 1:27 PM

100 yards (what the AG has stipulated).

Not kiddin.

avagreen on October 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM

careful honey, the law is 100 feet.

Don’t go bashin’ skulls unnecessarily.

cozmo on October 26, 2012 at 1:27 PM