Video: Romney draws massive crowd to remote Colorado location

posted at 11:21 am on October 24, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I’m not sure that there is anything that is directly noteworthy about a massive crowd for a major-party candidate at the end of the presidential cycle.  Both candidates will have at least 60 million people voting for them in this election, which means there are going to be lots of people who will show up for these kinds of events.  But will they climb hills and mountains and trek out to the middle of nowhere to do it?  The Denver Post put together this visually stunning video of Mitt Romney’s event at Red Rocks, which also shows the difficulties that attendees had in getting to the rally at all:

The rally itself didn’t disappoint, either.  Romney spoke to the 10,000 people who managed to climb into the venue and squeeze in among the rocks, telling them that Barack Obama’s time had passed — and so have his “status quo” ideas of governance:

A confident Mitt Romney, two weeks out from Election Day, spoke about his campaign as a movement sweeping the nation during a moonlit rally at Red Rocks Amphitheatre on Tuesday night.

Repeatedly, Romney referred to President Barack Obama as a president whose time has passed — out of ideas to improve the economy and out of touch with the needs of business owners. Romney said his own plans would restore American prosperity and prestige.

“The president’s status-quo campaign … is why he’s slipping, and it’s why we’re gaining,” said Romney, who was joined at the rally by running mate Paul Ryan. “It’s why this movement is growing across the country.”

Romney and Ryan weren’t shy about discussing the debates, either.  Romney told the crowd that they “supercharged” the campaign, an undeniable fact, especially in Colorado, which has suddenly lurched toward Romney in the polls.  It’s also undeniable in the fact that Romney could get this many people out to what looks like a fairly rugged venue for a big rally — and on a weeknight, too.

But even if that doesn’t impress you, be sure to watch the video for some gorgeous visuals of the crowd at twilight and in the evening.  That’s worth two minutes of your time.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

jimver on October 24, 2012 at 3:07 PM

LOL! I was joking, just in case Night Owl didn’t know that Mr. Rywall isn’t from around here.

Cindy Munford on October 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM

You were expecting fair and balanced like NBC/CBS/ABC? I imagine LEd was going by what the video stated, why get your azz on your shoulders?

Cindy Munford on October 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Awww. Project much? Who is the one blindly parroting the headlines coming across their inbox without verifying anything for themselves. Me?

Try again, but take your “azz off your shoulders” (whatever that means, I’m a bit behind on my junior high caliber insults, bub).

Non Westerners and their perspectives of having to hike through rugged mountains to “the middle of nowhere” are a continuing source of amusement. By the way how many cornfields did you have to stagger through burdened down by your bib overalls in order to reach your computer to post here?

Daikokuco on October 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Dave is Canadian, in case you don’t already know.

Christien on October 24, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Does Canada have a president?

Cindy Munford on October 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I DID know that, but forgot there for a minute! He is such a jerk, it’s hard to remember he’s from the same place as canopfor!

Night Owl on October 24, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Ed, Red Rocks ampitheater is not a “remote” location. It is one of the major entertainment venues for the greater Denver metropolitan area – perhaps even the most glamorous. I’ve seen many concerts/events/gatherings there.

I suspect the real issue is that as a non-ticketed event (the place only holds 9000+ legally) scores of thousands showed up expecting to get in (in fact, a good representation of preference cascade in action) only to be met with thousands of scores from the other 6 access routes.

bains on October 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Daikokuco on October 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM

It’s fine to be amused and it’s fine to be insulting, I think you know all there is to know about projection. I don’t expect you to be an expert on my cornfields and I’m certainly not offended by your ignorance.

Cindy Munford on October 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM

bains on October 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM

It looks truly beautiful.

Cindy Munford on October 24, 2012 at 5:41 PM

He is such a jerk, it’s hard to remember he’s from the same place as canopfor!

Night Owl on October 24, 2012 at 5:36 PM

You got that right!!! Although I have to admit that I like Mr. Rywall, as protagonists go, he is a step above.

Cindy Munford on October 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Well the Big Zero was in Denver. Denver Post aricle doesn’t estimate the size, but I’ve looked at photos. Not nearly as many as Romney’s crowd.

http://photos.denverpost.com/2012/10/24/photos-obama-rally-at-denvers-city-park/#name here

The excuse will be that it was in the middle of the day and it was cold out so people couldn’t show up. I think that coming out on a Tuesday night in the cold and on a “school night”, having to hike up a half mile to the amphitheater, to a place 15 miles west of town is tougher than coming out to a city park.

COgirl on October 24, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Cindy Munford on October 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Your stupidity never fails to amuse. “Protagonist” Lol. Look it up. I mean, instead of camping out posting inane chatter here all day, try cracking open a book once in awhile. The word you were looking for was ANTagonist. Geez. Oh you mistyped. Right.

Thought I’d give you a little taste of your own loserish nitpicking harassment. How do you like it?

Daikokuco on October 24, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Daikokuco on October 24, 2012 at 5:56 PM

You are correct, my error, although Mr. Rywall tends to be an equal opportunity basher. I’m sorry you felt harassed. I don’t, so I can’t tell you how it feels.

Cindy Munford on October 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

COgirl on October 24, 2012 at 5:55 PM

It looks like there was room to spare for some more folks.

Cindy Munford on October 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Co girl the crowd at President Obama’s event in Denver today was estimated at 16,000 people. and as you pointed out this was even during the day…

U2denver on October 24, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Well if there were 16,000 there was room for more whereas the Romney rally only had seating capacity for 10,000. And as was noted here by someone else, they were turning away people. Plus, I wouldn’t at all trust any figures of Republican turnout by the Denver Post. I know. I attended one of the Romney rallies that was under-reported.

COgirl on October 24, 2012 at 7:37 PM

gumbyandpokey on October 24, 2012 at 11:29 AM

You’ve never been to Red Rocks, have you?

JohnGalt23 on October 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM

…prolly not…but his Rocks are Red!

KOOLAID2 on October 24, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Daikokuco on October 24, 2012 at 5:56PM

…hey coo coo!…F O !

KOOLAID2 on October 24, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Few, I live up in the mountains. A storm is brewing up here (suspect snow tonight). What’s it doing on the front range? Wondering if it will rain on O’s parade?

COgirl-
We’re looking for rain into snow, which is exactly the excuse el Presidente will be spinning later on to justify his turnout numbers.
It’s sprinkling now, so you can be sure there won’t be as many ‘real’ democrats to show up as they want. It’d be irresponsible to expect them to show up in the cold or rain…

…or anywhere there’s a chance for lightning like the DNC convention…

Few Things Considered on October 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM

COgirl on October 24, 2012 at 5:55 PM

In the first picture, i see Big Bird managed to get front row seating. I didn’t know he could vote. LOL

AH_C on October 24, 2012 at 9:30 PM

bains on October 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Yeah, not remote at all, about 15 minutes from downtown Denver. Concerts there are fantastic, if the weather is good.

And it’s not in the mountains, just the foothills, although you do have to walk uphill from most of the parking lots.

I know people who were there, they said it was exciting, Romney and Ryan were great (although Ryan is losing his voice) and the entertainment was good too.

I still find it really strange that Colorado is a swing state, we’ve always been flyover country.

Common Sense on October 24, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Ed’s comments make me wonder if he ever saw

U2 Live at Red Rocks

I’m old enough to recall seeing this first run on Showtime.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on October 24, 2012 at 9:39 PM

AH_C on October 24, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Notice how they said ” thousands of supporters gathered under threatening skies…”
I’m betting a wider shot would make it just over 2,000 supporters.
I’m waiting for the lightning excuse when the wide angle shot comes out.

Few Things Considered on October 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Daikokuco on October 24, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Moron.

hawkdriver on October 24, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Few Things Considered … the President Obama crowd was estimated at 16,000 people (sorry) …

U2denver on October 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM