Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:01 am on October 24, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

As is usually the case when Barack Obama has to speak extemporaneously for any length of time, the debate on Monday night provided a few nuggets for OOTDs. Today’s comes courtesy of Breitbart, Ed Driscoll at Instapundit, and Jim Hoft, and took place during Obama’s defense of his handling of the Arab Spring.  In it, Obama tries to boost his presidential bearing, but instead ends up channeling a different kind of leadership altogether (emphasis mine):

“So across the board we are engaging them in building capacity in these countries and we have stood on the side of democracy. One thing I think Americans should be proud of: when Tunisians began to protest, this nation, me, my administration, stood with them earlier than just about any other country.”

L’etat c’est moi? Combined with the tone of perpetual annoyance Obama tends to adopt whenever challenged, that sounded pretty arrogant — and Karl Rove noticed it afterward, too:

A couple points we had sort of Louis XIV moments by President Obama. “I said when I would take the shot, I’d take the shot.” Well, wait a minute Mr. President, you didn’t take the shot, the SEALs took the shot at Osama Bin Laden. And, then at another point he said, “The nation, Me…” and then proceeded to describe what the nation wanted to do. And, I thought it was a little unusual because again it came across as just a little pompous at times – Louis XIV masquerading as president.

Yes, although the L’etat c’est moi quote is more solidly attributed to Napoleon than to the Sun King. Besides, using Tunisia as a measure is hardly determining. We had no pressing national security issues in Tunisia at the time of the Arab Spring. We did have pressing national security issues in Egypt and Libya, which Obama made worse with his Arab Spring interventions, pushing out Hosni Mubarak and conducting a war to remove Moammar Qaddafi from power.

What was the result? Obama couldn’t even bring himself to call Egypt an ally a month ago after our nation – that would be not “me, my administration” — had based our national-security policy in the region on our alliance with Egypt’s Mubarak for more than 30 years. Eastern Libya’s terrorist networks now operate freely, including al-Qaeda. Obama can brag about the outcome in Tunisia, but in this case, one out of three is still bad … and let’s not forget that our embassy in Tunis was torched and nearly overrun in September, too.

Comments

maybe we can send dear leader to elba

cmsinaz on October 24, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Of course, I was completely content to watch Iranians being shot down in the streets.

/Bamster

Washington Nearsider on October 24, 2012 at 8:04 AM

I kinda feel like I overstayed my welcome in His country.

NOT!

Electrongod on October 24, 2012 at 8:05 AM

HE is the Nation……but he actually kind of stands above us all. Like a God.

To paraphrase Evan Thomas back in 2008/09.

And he really is our God in America………our Affirmative Action one.

PappyD61 on October 24, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Obama’s entire attitude: “I make all things right and good. If anything bad happens, it’s because you are screwing up my work against me.”

I sometimes wish I could go into hibernation until Nov. 6. Election Day can’t come soon enough.

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 8:07 AM

/Bamster

Washington Nearsider on October 24, 2012 at 8:04 AM

He wasn’t watching Iranians being shot down in the streets. He was playing golf at Fort Belvior and then took the brats out for ice cream.

Happy Nomad on October 24, 2012 at 8:07 AM

ahhhhhh yes, November 6th.

The day Romney should win by 30 points in a sane America.

PappyD61 on October 24, 2012 at 8:09 AM

I guess he just slipped the title of his upcoming memoirs:

THIS NATION, ME!

pilamaye on October 24, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 8:07 AM

All I can say is BEWARE THE LAME DUCK SESSION if the rat-eared wonder loses this election.

Happy Nomad on October 24, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Obamateurism of the Day

I don’t think these little slips up are …well…slip-ups

I think Obama has some serious issues..

Oh well..

Electrongod on October 24, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Happy Nomad on October 24, 2012 at 8:09 AM

It’s not going to be pretty, I know. He will be full of spite and out for revenge.

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Lets send him into exile to say Kenya or Indonesia.

JimK on October 24, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I notice he isn’t so quick to brag about the current information regarding HIS involvement in watching our people die in Benghazi and doing nothing to help them.

Night Owl on October 24, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Coming soon for Obama: a Louis XVI moment.

Dextrous on October 24, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 8:07 AM

If only that were the end of it. Win or lose, the next three months are going to be interesting, and not in a good way.

Night Owl on October 24, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Can someone on the Right please personally destroy the reputation of Gloria Allredredhead the way she gleefully does others?

I can see it already tearful ex wife of Staples at press conference talking about how Mitt Romney destroyed her and is an evil piece of trash…….and that he had a “WAR ON THIS WOMAN”.

And Barack Obama……..how about we UNSEAL anything of his?

Gird your loins the media firestorm erupts in 5……4……

PappyD61 on October 24, 2012 at 8:16 AM

He’s lucky the guillotine has gone the way of horses and bayonets . . .

Naturally Curly on October 24, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Happy Nomad on October 24, 2012 at 8:09 AM

The rat-eared wonder Will lose this election… I can smell it.

Al Hall on October 24, 2012 at 8:22 AM

PappyD61 on October 24, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Anyone who takes this suspected release as a factor in the election has got to be an idiot, and maybe shouldn’t be allowed to vote. Unless Mitt provably committed perjury, I don’t see the matter being an issue. The divorce was thirty years ago, Maureen got 500,000 shares of Staples stock (and God knows what else in the settlement), and so really has no leg to stand on.

At best, this is a feeble attempt to revive the failed war on women line. Of course the MSM will eat it up; the vultures love a good scandal against Republicans.

Maybe Mitt still has enough clout where the judge won’t unseal the record or lift the gag order, to stop this latest attempt to politically terrorize another of Obama’s opponents.

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 8:27 AM

“ME”

Can I get an amen?

hawkdriver on October 24, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I’ve often thought that the reason people say that other people like him so much is that they’ve never really gotten a good look at him…until now. Those layers of filters that distorted Mitt Romney into a cancer causing vampire work both ways y’know.

Pettiness and petulance aren’t redeeming characteristics in a POTUS/CIC/Leader of the free world, and yet they are the dominant traits in Obama whenever he’s being challenged or under stress (which it turns out is in the very nature of this job he coveted so badly).

CitizenEgg on October 24, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I loved when Bob the unbiased moderator quipped “Obama‘s Bin Laden” during the debate.

Badger40 on October 24, 2012 at 8:30 AM

PappyD61 on October 24, 2012 at 8:16 AM

She has a reputation to destroy? To paraphrase the quote, every word coming out of Gloria Allred’s mouth is a lie, including “and” and “the.”

rbj on October 24, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Hah, Karl said a “little” pompous.

Understating is great comedy.

hawkdriver on October 24, 2012 at 8:32 AM

PPP daily tracking has Obama gaining 2 pts and the race is tied again at 48-48.

gumbyandpokey on October 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Rasmussen has Barry/Romney tied in Ohio. Survey USA has Barry up 3 in OH with a D +7 sample. (D 39, R 32, I 25)

bayview on October 24, 2012 at 8:39 AM

A sitting U.S. Ambassador was assassinated in full, real-time view of our government which, in turn, did nothing to stop the attack, and still has done nothing to date.

The White House then deliberately lied about material facts of the incident that they knew full well were 180* opposite of the truth.

The threw a man in jail on trumped up charges of violating his parole to bolster their fabrications.

The one thing that Obama is unparalleled at is sinking to new lows every day he occupies the White House.

Someone needs to explain to me how this man is not in violation of Article Three, Section Three of the Constitution, and why he should not be prosecuted for treason.

This man doesn’t deserve to be spending his retirement in a seaside mansion in Hawaii, he deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison.

And if that doesn’t please his supporters, then bring it on. We can’t go too much further down this road without our nation looking like one of the Mad Max films.

turfmann on October 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM

At least he isn’t using the “royal we”. Yet.

tj4osu on October 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM

With no plan whatsoever other than “hope” and “change” the Obama Administration upset and destabilized the entire region…intentionally.

Libya? What major threat to the stability of the region was Ghadaffi? To the US? To anyone? If you look at the record at the time, seems that Libya was a Power/Jarret/Hillary plan to “win one” on the cheap. Now, a year almost to the day since Ghadaffi was executed….Libya is a hell of a lot worse off than it ever was under Ghadaffi. If Obama had stayed out of Libya…there’d be no dead Ambassador.

Had Obama not ordered the military and our intelligence services to arm whomever came forward and said “Ghadaffi must go!” regardless of religion or national origin, or political extreme…there’d be no Ansar al-Sharia operating freely all across Libya.

Presidential decisions have consequences…I’m waiting for Obama to blame Bush/Cheney for the Libyan debacle. He has already blamed the GOP for making it an issue.

Egypt…Mubarack had already announced his intentions to go…set up a transitional government to keep Egypt stable and out of the hands of the radicals…but Obama said, “NO!!! Gotta get the hell out, Hosni…today!!!”

Same thing in Yemen…had to topple the government…opened the place wide for AQ and any other radicals to re-establish themselves…a nation once on the cusp of getting rid of AQand others within its borders.

Iraq…with no possibility of US protection or partnership…is fast becoming a vassal state of Iran.

Afghanistan…that war is lost be any metric.

Now…going after Assad….coulda, shoulda, woulda….now…not going to happen…but Syria is more firmly in the Iranian camp than ever…and the Russians are more firmly in the Syrian camp…thanks to this Administration talking a lot but doing.

Arab Spring sure was short, wasn’t it?

And, Iran…not Arab…still working on that Moslem Bomb thing…and where we were once in a real position to stop it all…now, other than sending in over half of our Air Force and our entire inventory of sea-launched missiles…we can do nothing.

Nearly 1000 non-combatant civilians across the globe have been killed by Obama Missiles…to get, as best we know, maybe about 40 “terrorists.” Might want to give back that Peace Prize, Barry. Seems you’ve no concept of what it once represented.

But, Obama keeps spiking the ball every chance he gets….”I took the shot” was what Obama said at the last debate…and thus, personally, apparently, killed Osama.

Well, Barry…as Archie Bunker would say…whoop tee do.

Putz.

coldwarrior on October 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM

PPP daily tracking has Obama gaining 2 pts and the race is tied again at 48-48.

gumbyandpokey on October 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Sampling?

hillsoftx on October 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM

And when real reformers raised their voices in the streets of Tehran, YOU and YOUR administration said and did nothing. NOT. ONE THING.

Logic on October 24, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Logic on October 24, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Obama made it official at the time when he declared we do not interfere in the internal politics of other nations.

Unless you are Honduras, or Libya, of course.

coldwarrior on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM

PPP daily tracking has Obama gaining 2 pts and the race is tied again at 48-48.

gumbyandpokey on October 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM

So tell me why you think Obama deserves a second term?
You try so hard to convince us here, who will never be swayed by your specious poll numbers, that we are supposed to just roll over & take this POS again.
OR do you come here & spew to convince yourself?

Badger40 on October 24, 2012 at 8:49 AM

“PPP daily tracking has Obama gaining 2 pts and the race is tied again at 48-48.

gumbyandpokey on October 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Sampling?

hillsoftx on October 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM”

D+4

gumbyandpokey on October 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM

…let’s not forget that our embassy in Tunis was torched and nearly overrun in September, too

Here’s what our cooperation gained us in Tunis:

Oh, those black flags – those are al Qaeda’s.

Chamberlain looks like a conquering lion next to this nimrod.

Right on October 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM

gumbyandpokey on October 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM

using PPP now. you are desperate.

LOL

gerrym51 on October 24, 2012 at 8:58 AM

“One thing I think Americans should be proud of: when Tunisians began to protest, this nation, me, my administration, stood with them earlier than just about any other country.”

/Bamster

Washington Nearsider on October 24, 2012 at 8:04 AM

“And when Honduras ousted its leader, using legal processes within its Constitution, I supported the other side.” / Barky

Mitoch55 on October 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM

…”you didn’t do that!”

KOOLAID2 on October 24, 2012 at 9:31 AM

By now you all know how I feel the day after the election, if Obamanation loses and the race riots start, he’ll declare martial law and stay in office just as long as he possibly can!!!

And I DO fear the lame duck session he will have!!

Vntnrse on October 24, 2012 at 9:32 AM

PPP daily tracking has Obama gaining 2 pts and the race is tied again at 48-48.

gumbyandpokey on October 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Sampling?

hillsoftx on October 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM

…no!….masturbating!

KOOLAID2 on October 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM

“This nation, under Me, with liberty and justice for all.”

wdkeller on October 24, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Speaking of Four Dead …
Hmmmmm …
Lemme see now, wasn’t it Kent State in 1970 when “four dead” was a rallying cry?

♫♪ Four Dead in Benghazi ♫♪
CSNY, had it right for all the wrong reasons:

Why … It’s kinda like déjá vú all over again.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on October 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Yeah, good thing there’s nothing happening like an embassy getting attacked, cabinet members illegally campaigning, foreign election monitors being allowed in, foreign nationals contributing to campaigns, “assault weapons” walking across the border…

Nutstuyu on October 24, 2012 at 10:59 AM

“This nation, under Me, with liberty for some and justice for all non-whites.”

wdkeller on October 24, 2012 at 9:52 AM

FIFY.

Nutstuyu on October 24, 2012 at 11:00 AM

PappyD61 on October 24, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I imagine those Romney threateners on Twitter could use some practice before the big day.

Nutstuyu on October 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Barack Obama’s narcissism is readily revealed by this slip of the tongue reference to “ME!”, and ” L’etat c’est moi” is just a cute way of saying the same thing.

When he loses in a couple of weeks, he’s exactly the type to immediately engage in behavior closer to a 3 year old than a supposed adult.

The roughest 3-1/2 months American may ever face is going to occur between his defeat and the swearing-in of the new president in January, 2013.

Say? Does the Smithsonian have a guillotine in stores? We may need it toward the end of the year. Why all that ammo being stockpiled by various supposedly non-military government branches, like Social Security, Postal Service, etc. is going to become very clear as our spiteful so-called president resists his rejection.

dockywocky on October 24, 2012 at 11:10 AM

This from the guy who thought the “not optimal” gaffe was “nothing”?

*yawn*

You’ve been slippin’ buddy.

Tim_CA on October 24, 2012 at 11:13 AM

The amateurs were the people the Resident put in positions of authority in our foreign affairs. People who were incapable, due to both lack of experience and incorrect ideology, of the simple analysis that changing the power structure of Egypt by removing Mubarak would require reassessing our security structure in that nation. Ditto Libya.

Ghadafi was neutered, though not an ally, and our diplomats there were in no particular danger, because Mohammar didn’t feel like inviting more U.s. bombs into his home. Once deposed, what actions did State, NSA, and other foreign-affairs related agencies due to evalute the changing conditions affecting our diplomatic corps? Nada.

This could have been a major piece of the foreign policy debate; the crony appointments of unqualified people into strategically critical positions, resulting in horribly inadequate situational awareness and ultimately, four murdered U.S. citizens.

Freelancer on October 24, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Les… wait, what?

Don’t go all Austrian on us. Remember we are the dumb ones.

Sir Napsalot on October 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Is it a little troubling Obowma backs dictators in Kenya, Honduras, Syria and Iran while supporting the ouster of allies in Egypt and Tunisia?

You are who your friends are.

dthorny on October 24, 2012 at 11:29 AM

PPP daily tracking has Obama gaining 2 pts and the race is tied again at 48-48.

gumbyandpokey on October 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM

PPP? LOL

HotAirian on October 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Hardly surprising that the debt president wants to live on credit!

Fausta Wertz on October 24, 2012 at 1:11 PM