Closing argument: Romney to deliver “significant” speech on economy this Friday

posted at 8:41 pm on October 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

A speech this Friday, then the last jobs report next Friday. I wonder what trivial issue Team O will seize on tomorrow to steer the media away from those economic bookends. Back to the car elevator thing, maybe? We haven’t heard about that in awhile.

Mitt Romney will deliver a significant speech on the economy Friday, according to a top campaign aide, when just 11 days remain in the presidential race.

His speech will be delivered in Ames, Iowa, and is aimed at “reinforcing the big choice in November,” a top campaign adviser told CNN…

“We’ve had four debates and he hasn’t been able to describe what his plan is to get this economy going,” the GOP candidate said [at a rally in Reno]. “You can boil what he’s saying down to four simple words, and that is: ‘more of the same.’”

Interesting that he’s doing this in Iowa instead of Ohio, where he and Ryan will appear later on Friday. Presumably there’s some sort of “full circle” vibe he’s going for, that his message at the end of the campaign is the same as it was when things began in Ames last year, but I’m surprised he didn’t choose a more viable swing state, like Wisconsin or New Hampshire — or Ohio, of course — instead. No quibbling about the chosen subject, though. New from the ABC/WaPo tracker, in which Romney continues to lead by a point:

Looking at handling the economy as a broad issue, Romney’s lead among independents has swelled to 56 to 39 percent in the new poll, an advantage that helps him to a sizable, 12-point lead over Obama when it comes to their voting preferences. Obama won independent and other voters by eight percentage points in 2008.

Across all three debates, 40 percent of independents say their impressions of Romney improved; fewer than half as many, 18 percent, say their views deteriorated. Twice as many independents say their views of Obama are worse as say better, 20 percent to 10 percent.

Romney also now leads, again by a point, in today’s Reuters tracker. Among independents, he’s up by six. The national polls continue to look good; it’s a matter now of those trends bleeding into the big five — OH, VA, CO, WI, and NH — and giving him a clear path to 270+. Or maybe I should say big six: A new poll has Romney within half a point of Obama in … Michigan. I’m not sure what to make of it given that the response rate was north of three percent (1,122 respondents out of 35,000 calls(!) placed) and that O’s been ahead by at least three points in nearly every poll taken there since August, but with 16 electoral votes, Michigan’s almost a perfect substitute for Ohio (18) or Wisconsin+New Hampshire (14). If Romney can lock down the three that he needs to put him on the doorstep of 270 (Florida, Virginia, and Colorado), winning Michigan would singlehandedly deliver him the presidency. Hmmmm.

Here’s something new from the campaign to keep the good vibes flowing over the last 13 days.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I have a better headline: “Chis Matthews Costs Obama Votes.”

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Interesting that he’s doing this in Iowa instead of Ohio, where he and Ryan will be later on Friday.

Team Romney knows they got Ohio, and Iowa is a little insurance or a nail in the Obama coffin, depending on how you look at it.

TXUS on October 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I don’t question the decision to make the speech in Iowa. I might prefer Ohio, but I’ve learned to trust team R/R’s judgement. They have managed this campaign beautifully, IMO. Iowa it is!

Chewy the Lab on October 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

WINNING!

Pork-Chop on October 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Here comes the Big Wrap Up! Romney has gained enough momentum to win. Now he needs to close strong! An Economic speech, is definitely in his Wheel House and he should knock it out of the park!
Update on how to take on the Obama Jihadi media & Win: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I have a better headline: “Chis Matthews Costs Obama Votes.”

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Better yet: “Matthews foams at mouth and bites self…must be put down.”

Chewy the Lab on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I’m going to cry for a month if we lose.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Dear Leader will his drones flying over the site recording license plates numbers and taking video of those attending…

d1carter on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Let’s play a game, “who’s got the gravitas?”. If Obama won’t take it, Romney will. Buy low, sell high. Obama cornered the market on pettiness, snark, snottiness, MTV, “let me be clear … I’ve said this all along …”. That leaves the field open for Mitt to talk about real things, important things.

Paul-Cincy on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Great video.

Mitt Romney… the Happy Warrior…

JohnGalt23 on October 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Speach in IA because OH is optional with PA turning red?

KCsecurity1976 on October 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I’ll probably cry happy tears for a month if we win.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

State Of The Union..
From President Mitt.

Electrongod on October 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

since this is the first pollster to actually say how many calls they made we have nothing to compare it to. it might be the norm.

gerrym51 on October 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Finish line finally in sight. This is going to happen.

El_Terrible on October 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

R&R have the A team doing thenadvertising in the home stretch. Excellent stuff. Pouring it on.

rickyricardo on October 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

That video is tremendous! I’m glad they included Susana Martinez, she was awesome at the convention.

RedRedRice on October 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Great video.

Mitt Romney… the Happy Warrior…

JohnGalt23 on October 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I agree. He just seems like such a good man.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I’m going to cry for a month if we lose.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I’ll probably cry happy tears for a month if we win.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Electrongod on October 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

paratisi on October 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM

You betcha.

Paul-Cincy on October 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Heh heh heh, Mitt could make his closing remark at this point in time as “I’m not full of O’Balloney” and it would carry him across the finish line.

Obama’s rubber duckies refuse to stay in a row.

SWalker on October 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I truly hope Romney hits a home run on Friday, like Pablo Sandoval just did off Verlander.

Rovin on October 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I’m going to cry for a month if we lose.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I took the week of the election off. I’ll either be hungover all week from celebrating or crying in my beer for our country.

buckichick1 on October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Better yet: “Matthews foams at mouth and bites self…must be put down.”

Chewy the Lab on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

~delighted laugh~ One more, please: “Matthews tries to bite his own face as Obama gets trounced”

Put down by police.

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I hope Romney stays front and center for the next 13 days. After all the crap from the Benghazi lies, I can’t wrap my mind around the possibility that Obama might get another 4 years. It just infuriates me that he isn’t being strung up by his thumbs for allowing those men to die.

BettyRuth on October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

The major polls are all telling us the same thing, Romney is up, independents are backing Romney, and our enthusiasm is peaking at the right time.

El_Terrible on October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Everyone needs to watch that video, it’s excellent.

JPeterman on October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Woopie to have a melt down..

Electrongod on October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

That does it. I LIKE ROMNEY!

NOMOBO on October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

..I am thinking maybe he could do something like this.

Oh, and by the way, you might want to watch THIS from the guy who wrote the monologue above!

The War Planner on October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Electrongod on October 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I have a deep faith we are going to win but I’m getting butterflies I admit.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

The suburbs of the big cities in the swing states are polling very well for Romney, the same suburbs going big time for Obama in 2008. This is where you cancel out or overcome the inner-city votes in the Ohios, Pennsylvanias, Virginias, and Michigans of the world.

These areas are full of highly motivated econ-voters, and they are going to put Romney in the WH, in a landslide.

TXUS on October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Any excuse to…right?

How ’bout a tie?

cozmo on October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

And if Romney wins… then it’s on to governing a nation in a heap of trouble with the media carping every 2 minutes “Are we there yet!?”

Brace yourselves.

KCsecurity1976 on October 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Response rates aren’t that important, unless you can demonstrate that there is some differential amongst distinct groupings of the population within that response rate.

I’m cautiously optimistic. We appear now to be playing in PA and possibly MI. That means Team Liar’s defenses are getting thinner and thinner…

JohnGalt23 on October 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Closing argument: Romney to deliver “significant” speech on economy this Friday

…have the MSM announced that they had prior commitments?

KOOLAID2 on October 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I’m going to cry for a month if we lose.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I’m joining the…Texas needs to become a sovereign state again movement if we lose.
I’m feeling optimistic that I won’t need to do something so drastic.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Any excuse to…right?

How ’bout a tie?

cozmo on October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Throw up?

Can’t help it – I can cry at the drop of a hat. I should have been a soap actress LOL!

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

KCsecurity1976 on October 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Chief of staff Christie, and press secretary Levin are looking forward to it.

cozmo on October 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

The Lost Fore Years..

It doesn’t have to be this way…

Electrongod on October 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Fantastic video!

Weight of Glory on October 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I’m feeling optimistic that I won’t need to do something so drastic.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I don’t think so either. I’m just feeling the butterflies tonight for some reason.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Woopie to have a melt down..

Electrongod on October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Maybe she’ll finally get chance to be ‘pretty’ as a puddle of sludge. ~shrug~

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I’m going to cry for a month if we lose.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Don’t.

Obama is staring at a year of impeached cabinet hearings and a cratering of his popularity.

He’ll be the biggest lameduck, evah.

I’ve been with Mitt since ’07. I want the guy to win because he’s a damn good man. But, after Benghazi and the vote of no confidence this primary has become, my fear of Barry pt2 has dwindled considerably.

IMO, Barry is still running because he’s likes to campaign, not because he wants to be Prez any longer.

budfox on October 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Obama told the des moines register that he had no regrets prioritizing passing Obamacare over job creation in his first 2 years. this is on townhalls website.

mitt should make an ad.

gerrym51 on October 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I should have been a soap actress LOL!

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Sorry, you ain’t cut out for that…you have a brain.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I didn’t know you left.

cozmo on October 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM

If we win, I will drink the bottle of champagne I have been saving. If we lose, I will drink the bottle of champagne I have been saving.

Philly on October 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I’ll be crying with you gopher girl.

BettyRuth on October 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM

(wow – graphic, HARSH and effective ) …

‘Jane Roe’ of Roe v. Wade airs anti-Obama ad in Florida

Pork-Chop on October 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Philly on October 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Win or lose..
I will have to go out and buy another bottle of champagne..

*Hiccup*

Electrongod on October 24, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I’m going to cry for a month if we lose.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

“Us Taryton smokers would rather fight than quit…”

A joke…so smile, please!

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Who will see the speech? Media won’t cover it unless they are going to bash it

bucsox79 on October 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM

“Us Taryton smokers would rather fight than quit…”

A joke…so smile, please!

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Tareyton. They quit makin’ those after all those hillbillies went blind.

Lanceman on October 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM

A joke…so smile, please!

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Oh I am :)

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I didn’t know you left.

cozmo on October 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Right now-I’m only part of it on FB.
Zero stays-I go ALL in!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Just a great ad. I hear the spirit and optimism from R&R and it made me sad for a moment as it really hit me how much that POS in the White House has taken from us. I really do hate him.

msupertas on October 24, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I’m going to cry for a month if we lose.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Oh come on… you’ll only be missing out on a 20% tax cut and higher defense spending that the country can’t possibly afford.

bayam on October 24, 2012 at 9:03 PM

‘Jane Roe’ of Roe v. Wade airs anti-Obama ad in Florida

Pork-Chop on October 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Believe it, or not, after having first met her in the late 70′s, she has aged well.

cozmo on October 24, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Is This Why Obama Wanted that Des Moines Register Interview Off the Record?

Recall that in the third debate, President Obama claimed that he did not come up with the sequesters and that “it will not happen.” It has already been reported that his administration did come up with the sequester. Now, in that Des Moines Register interview that was briefly off the record, he touts the sequester as a means by which he will achieve spending cuts.

OBAMA: “So when you combine the Bush tax cuts expiring, the sequester in place, the commitment of both myself and my opponent — at least Governor Romney claims that he wants to reduce the deficit — but we’re going to be in a position where I believe in the first six months we are going to solve that big piece of business.” [emphasis added]

He made this statement the day after he said that the sequester “will not happen,” while he was mocking his own defense secretary’s warning that the cuts would dangerously shrink the military. Is this what the president has taken to calling “Romnesia?” Or just plain old dishonesty?

Resist We Much on October 24, 2012 at 9:04 PM

That jobs report will show a signnificant decline in unemployment no matter what.

This is Monsieur Barfay’s last chance to save his campaign – do you think there’s ANY way BLS will NOT cook the books on this? Besides, national Republicans haven’t called him out on the fraudulent unemployment numbers over the past year – why would they now?

He’s got nothing to lose – the report is due three days before the election. The only question is how far they want to go in lying about it. 7.3%? Lower?

Mitt had better be ready to call him out on this.

fiatboomer on October 24, 2012 at 9:04 PM

bucsox79 on October 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Dude knock it off eeyore.

wargamer6 on October 24, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Seriously Barry is off to Vegas again – I thought Vegas was “evil”.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Go Romney/Ryan !!!!

bayview on October 24, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I’m going to cry for a month if we lose.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

For You.

JPeterman on October 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Tareyton. They quit makin’ those after all those hillbillies went blind.

Lanceman on October 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I never smoked Taryton, but an old uncle did. Is that brand still around?

The old TV commercials were fun–the guy always had a black eye.”

I imagine the poor bastard was married.

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM

ROMNEY IS gonna’ take back the White House! Byah!

GW_SS-Delta on October 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Significant in his mind, maybe.

Dante on October 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM

‘Jane Roe’ of Roe v. Wade airs anti-Obama ad in Florida

Pork-Chop on October 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Holy crap! she went after Linda and Sarah! They used to be buds.

Even when she came out, she didn’t go after them.

cozmo on October 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM

The 2nd half of that video specifically is epic! It’s like a episode of Friday Night Lights in 2 minutes.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts..We got this!

jaygatz33 on October 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Dante on October 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Ron Paul lost, dude. Get over it.

wargamer6 on October 24, 2012 at 9:07 PM

For You.

JPeterman on October 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM

LOL!

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 9:07 PM

bayam on October 24, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Can the country afford loosing Americans with no support?
With the new Al-Quada coming online?

If only the taxes that I pay today would have saved our Ambassador and friends.

Except it was spent on jet fuel to Vegas..

Electrongod on October 24, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Oh I am :)

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Good! ~S~

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Put down by police.

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

All the more reason for a H/A equivalent to the “Like” button (trademarked, to be sure, but there must be something that would ape that…).
“Matthews try to chew off arm. Police intervene, taze subject.”

Chewy the Lab on October 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Wow, what a great video. Made me cry and so proud to be an American!! If Romney wins in November, it couldn’t have happened to a better man.

Callie C. on October 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM

The old TV commercials were fun–the guy always had a black eye.”

I imagine the poor bastard was married.

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM

TV commercials? I ain’t that old!

Lanceman on October 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Pork-Chop on October 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Um WOW.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM

If he says IA, I trust him. I also agree they must feel OH is a done deal.

hillsoftx on October 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM

“Matthews try to chew off arm. Police intervene, taze subject.”

Chewy the Lab on October 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM

One better…“Matthews try to chew off arm. Police let him do it, then forget the number to 911.”

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 9:12 PM

This euphoria is all well and good but if we don’t as a nation return to family and God, freedom for doing good, jobs, or four years of a prosperous economy won’t mean a thing but delaying the inevitable destruction. Too much economy talk-not enough freedom and constitution that’s being eroded nibble by bible.

They had jobs in Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, Mao’s homeland, North Korea and in China, Venezuela, and Commie Cuba. We can’t go after the frosting, only to later wake up to find that jobs without a solid culture and love of goodness will expose the reality that out there’s no cake underneath a Godless economic structure–no matter who runs or ruins it.

Our forefathers were no fools. They understood our rights(therefore our responsibilities were founded only in God.

Don L on October 24, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Lady parts ?

burrata on October 24, 2012 at 9:13 PM

” I thought Vegas was “evil”.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Of course it is, that’s why the mini wannbe Anti-Christ keeps going their, like Dorothy clicking her heels together Barack keeps going to Vegas because… Theirs no place like Home, theirs no place like Home, theirs no place like Home…..

SWalker on October 24, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I never smoked Taryton, but an old uncle did. Is that brand still around?

The old TV commercials were fun–the guy always had a black eye.”

I imagine the poor bastard was married.

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM

They are still sold all over Eastern Europe and are popular over there.

JPeterman on October 24, 2012 at 9:13 PM

CO and VA have joined NC and FL.

Its OH, WI, NH, IA now and maybe MI.

swamp_yankee on October 24, 2012 at 9:13 PM

SWalker on October 24, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Hey I love Vegas – I just wish he would stop “infecting” it.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 9:14 PM

WOWZA What an ad.
I was crying by the end.
The Red Rock event was amazing…wish I was there.
We’re so isolated in our homes and then to go to an event and see a sea of like-minded patriots. It takes my breath away.

So thankful that we have Rush and Mark Levin and the rest.
Mitt should give them the Medal of Freedom and no taxes for the rest of their lives!

I’m a nervous wreck.

Typicalwhitewoman on October 24, 2012 at 9:14 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I didn’t know you left.

cozmo on October 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Hey, did you see the way Twerp looked at you? Looks like she wants to wrestle.

SparkPlug on October 24, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Electrongod on October 24, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Either way, I will be smashed. I hope I am smashed in a happy way.

Philly on October 24, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Brace yourselves.

KCsecurity1976 on October 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Fine! As the kids say, “Bring it!” Beats the shorts out of the alternative: more of this clown!

Chewy the Lab on October 24, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Excellent idea. Romney Gould do this several times over the next 13 days. Similar to the debates, it’s the only was to get past the leftist medi censors / propagandists.

rayra on October 24, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Romney will have to have a stout heart and soul to lead this country out of the hole we’re in. We’ve had a deep flirtation with the european disease…and Romney will have to stir the country’s heart.

we have a future, if we choose it. If we just say no to the Left. The left has no answers…just pointyheaded nostrums that have been around for decades.

Great countries leave their children a richer legacy…failing countries leave their children with ruin and debt

r keller on October 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

bayam on October 24, 2012 at 9:03 PM

You really don’t get it, do you?

Night Owl on October 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I’m going to cry for a month if we lose.

gophergirl on October 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Ain’t gonna happen, and the Romney/Ryan win will be so significant that we’ll know by 10 or so ET. Save your tears for the tarmac that Obama and Moochelle might slip on as they head for the plane taking them back to Chicago.

TXUS on October 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

We will have the indicators on election day morning.

Dixon’s Notch

And Allahpundit’s prognostication.

He was right in ’08 whereas Ed was totally wrong.

Lanceman on October 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Damned iPad. Romney SHOULD.

rayra on October 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

TV commercials? I ain’t that old!

Lanceman on October 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Lucky bastard…~L~

Yeah…There used to be TV commercials for cigarettes. My old fave was for Doral, with dancing packs singing, “Taste me, taste me!”

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Either way, I will be smashed. I hope I am smashed in a happy way.

Philly on October 24, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Agree

Electrongod on October 24, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Contrast Romney/Ryan positive messages to Barry’s small, juvenile, sneering, unfunny, unbefitting, unbecoming mantra of Romnesia.

bayview on October 24, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I think PA is in play as well…

MGardner on October 24, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Everyone needs to watch that video, it’s excellent.

JPeterman on October 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Yes it is. Gave me chills. Oh, to feel good about the direction of this country again.

bluealice on October 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM