Closing argument: Romney to deliver “significant” speech on economy this Friday

posted at 8:41 pm on October 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

A speech this Friday, then the last jobs report next Friday. I wonder what trivial issue Team O will seize on tomorrow to steer the media away from those economic bookends. Back to the car elevator thing, maybe? We haven’t heard about that in awhile.

Mitt Romney will deliver a significant speech on the economy Friday, according to a top campaign aide, when just 11 days remain in the presidential race.

His speech will be delivered in Ames, Iowa, and is aimed at “reinforcing the big choice in November,” a top campaign adviser told CNN…

“We’ve had four debates and he hasn’t been able to describe what his plan is to get this economy going,” the GOP candidate said [at a rally in Reno]. “You can boil what he’s saying down to four simple words, and that is: ‘more of the same.’”

Interesting that he’s doing this in Iowa instead of Ohio, where he and Ryan will appear later on Friday. Presumably there’s some sort of “full circle” vibe he’s going for, that his message at the end of the campaign is the same as it was when things began in Ames last year, but I’m surprised he didn’t choose a more viable swing state, like Wisconsin or New Hampshire — or Ohio, of course — instead. No quibbling about the chosen subject, though. New from the ABC/WaPo tracker, in which Romney continues to lead by a point:

Looking at handling the economy as a broad issue, Romney’s lead among independents has swelled to 56 to 39 percent in the new poll, an advantage that helps him to a sizable, 12-point lead over Obama when it comes to their voting preferences. Obama won independent and other voters by eight percentage points in 2008.

Across all three debates, 40 percent of independents say their impressions of Romney improved; fewer than half as many, 18 percent, say their views deteriorated. Twice as many independents say their views of Obama are worse as say better, 20 percent to 10 percent.

Romney also now leads, again by a point, in today’s Reuters tracker. Among independents, he’s up by six. The national polls continue to look good; it’s a matter now of those trends bleeding into the big five — OH, VA, CO, WI, and NH — and giving him a clear path to 270+. Or maybe I should say big six: A new poll has Romney within half a point of Obama in … Michigan. I’m not sure what to make of it given that the response rate was north of three percent (1,122 respondents out of 35,000 calls(!) placed) and that O’s been ahead by at least three points in nearly every poll taken there since August, but with 16 electoral votes, Michigan’s almost a perfect substitute for Ohio (18) or Wisconsin+New Hampshire (14). If Romney can lock down the three that he needs to put him on the doorstep of 270 (Florida, Virginia, and Colorado), winning Michigan would singlehandedly deliver him the presidency. Hmmmm.

Here’s something new from the campaign to keep the good vibes flowing over the last 13 days.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Can we please ban some of these trolls, the more they lose the more they squeal like a gut pig. They are ruining these threads

Conservative4ev on October 24, 2012 at 10:

30 PM

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Hey, watch it.

kingsjester on October 24, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Okay, ya’ old fart.

cozmo on October 24, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Prediction: BLSBS Number for October……….3.7%.

Seriously, why not????

PappyD61 on October 24, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I saw an Obama sign in Texas today. One. In a slum. One. Prepare for the pre-incited riots on 11/7.

Who is John Galt on October 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Just my two cents.

minnesoter on October 24, 2012 at 9:47 PM

FO

katy the mean old lady on October 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Old farts. I only know about them from history books.

cozmo on October 24, 2012 at 10:29 PM

It’s okay, I wear my age proudly. Weathered a lot of BS to get here.

Jvette on October 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

You go to an Obama rally and you see the real representation of America.

HotAirLib on October 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Nen, are they busing in representative sample of populations to his rallies now? :)…

jimver on October 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

How come we never see young people,blacks, hispanics or any person of color at these Romney rallies? The only whites we see are usually the uneducated white men and their old grandmas.

You go to an Obama rally and you see the real representation of America.

HotAirLib on October 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Are they being kept out?

Or would you rather not see them?

Liam on October 24, 2012 at 10:35 PM

cozmo on October 24, 2012 at 10:32 PM

That’s Mr. Old Fart to you.:)

kingsjester on October 24, 2012 at 10:35 PM

JPeterman:Exactly,thats why my jaw-dropped:)

canopfor on October 24, 2012 at 10:26 PM

He spent $10 million of his own money to run those ads.

JPeterman on October 24, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Sounds like, “There you go again!”

Both phrases on the road to victory. The Romney campaign should repeat and repeat this.

IrishEyes on October 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM

FO

katy the mean old lady on October 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

That was sarcasm, mean-old-lady.

Like when I go Gumbo on y’all.

. Prepare for the pre-incited riots on 11/7.

Who is John Galt on October 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Can’t wait. I’ve got a ton of AK ammo goin’ bad.

You didn’t think I laid it in for shooting zombies, did you?

Wait, what? Was that a dog whistle?

Lanceman on October 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Who is John Galt on October 24, 2012 at 10:22 PM

At the top of page there should be links to videos etc. Make sure the mobile options are turned off.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Jvette on October 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

kingsjester on October 24, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Far be it from me to not show proper respect to the ancients.

My profoundest apologies for referring to y’all as old farts.

Ya’ old farts.

At least y’all ain’t old unicorn farts.

cozmo on October 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Finally: World’s worst airline launches online booking

Heh. When I saw that headline, I automatically thought US Air.

Lanceman on October 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM

K, thanks.

Who is John Galt on October 24, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Who is John Galt on October 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

The Lubbock dim HQ is located in a strip mall near my place. They have 2 huge signs up in front that Say ‘Lubbock stands with Obama’ or some BS. There are maybe another 10 business in the strip mall-and 7 of them have Romney signs in front of their windows.
Heheheheheh.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 24, 2012 at 10:40 PM

cozmo on October 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM

LOL! Sorry. verbaluce/simplesimon got me wound up on the Trump Thread earlier.

kingsjester on October 24, 2012 at 10:41 PM

COZMO: Where are you from?

kcd on October 24, 2012 at 10:42 PM

HotAirLib on October 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Sing “Daisy”, HAL.

You’re an idiot.

Solaratov on October 24, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Only 1 Obama sign in my town – the guy is a wrongful death trial lawyer

batterup on October 24, 2012 at 10:43 PM

FO

katy the mean old lady on October 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

There she is.

John the Libertarian on October 24, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Heheheheheh.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 24, 2012 at 10:40 PM

LGF Chuckles had a post up last week with an Obama sign full of bullet holes down in Lubbock. Sorry, you can find it yourself, I’m not going over to that swamp.

JPeterman on October 24, 2012 at 10:45 PM

HotAirLib on October 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Well, you know how it is with whitey. They just want to keep everyone else down. They don’t care about jobs, or making money, or raising families, or paying mortgages. They just want to oppress. You can see it in their fangs.

John the Libertarian on October 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM

You go to an Obama rally and you see the real representation of America.

HotAirLib on October 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

So how do you know the ones at obama’s rallies are educated, do they bring their certificates with them? Lol :)…here’s a sistah of ours from these rallies, probably as educated as you are :)..

jimver on October 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM

COZMO: Where are you from?

kcd on October 24, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Nebraska

But my parents got me to Texas as soon as they could.

cozmo on October 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM

NJ is a funny state. This is a state with a very popular center-right governor that beat an empty suit democrat.

Its a place where upsets can happen. The fact that there is no advertising here means that Romney can steal this state. The Right leaning Indies and Gop are very motivated to oust Obama. Will the left really be motivated if they feel lukewarm about the prez and think that he has it in the bag?

It could be interesting here.

joepub on October 24, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Only 1 Obama sign in my town – the guy is a wrongful death trial lawyer

batterup on October 24, 2012 at 10:43 PM

BBBWWWWAAAAHHHHH!

kcd on October 24, 2012 at 10:52 PM

JPeterman: Found it. I read the comments. This was a Dim on Dim crime-and Chuckie is a schmuck.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Nebraska

But my parents got me to Texas as soon as they could.

cozmo on October 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM

LMAO! Im in Tn now but just moved here from Alabama. ROLL TIDE ROLL!

kcd on October 24, 2012 at 10:58 PM

HotAirLib on October 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

…cuz you ain’t looking HotLips… just like you ain’t singing DAISY!

KOOLAID2 on October 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Jayzus! Those people are insane! And smug about it.

Solaratov on October 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Presidents can’t “fix” economies-they can only help to either ruin them or make them better (by getting out of the way of free enterprise).

To believe otherwise is a Marxist tenet. It is astonishing to see even Conservatives looking to Government to instill economic growth/prosperity. So, we’ve really become that brainwashed and Socialized over the last century? Even us?

So it comes down to who will do the least amount of damage I suppose. At this point, Obummer is definitely the most dangerous to our freedoms and our economic well-being. But, to many He is the best assurance they have for “safety nets” and government programs at others’ expense.

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 24, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Drove up to baskin ridge yesterday, saw a ton of krylilos signs

Conservative4ev on October 24, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Basking Ridge is beautiful country, but I think that’s one community that was pretty red even in 2008, no?

Right Mover on October 24, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Here in the DFW metroplex Texas I’ve seen a few Obama bumper stickers usually on old beaters or cars driven by minorities. I shake my head and lament the absolute bankruptcy of those on the left who voted and will vote again for a man simply because the amount of melanin in his epidermus is roughly equivalent to theirs. I wonder what an alien civilization would make of our world. Its someone’ skin color that rules you? What a specious reason to elect the leader of the free world. How can folks look around and want more of the same? I don’t think it’s 47%, probably closer to 30% who are useless to reason with. Also I don’t waste my breath with racists whether they are black or white.

neyney on October 24, 2012 at 11:38 PM

You go to an Obama rally and you see the real representation of America.

HotAirLib

Idiots?

xblade on October 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM

You go to an Obama rally and you see the real representation of America.

HotAirLib on October 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

You know how well educated people are just by looking at them? Wow.

idalily on October 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago

Government policies that stifle the economy don’t go away by themselves. Getting rid of those policies is what conservatives are looking for government to do, and that is something that is well within the power of government that CAN encourage growth and prosperity.

xblade on October 24, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I like the film.

I was a Romney skeptic during the primaries..But after he chose Ryan as a running mate he’s won me over & I think he’ll kick Obama’s ass back to Hawaii.

workingclass artist on October 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM

You go to an Obama rally and you see the real representation of America.

HotAirLib

Idiots?

xblade on October 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Unions?

workingclass artist on October 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM

HotAirLib on October 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

These folks greeted Romney at a recent campaign stop

workingclass artist on October 25, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 24, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Respectfully disagree to an extent. A POTUS can: push forth an agenda to move Congress, present budgets that work, sign appropriate legislation, reverse idiotic EO regulations that strangle business…I could go on, but you get the point. Alone, no, a POTUS can’t fix the economy. But he can do a lot to help it fix itself.

idalily on October 25, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 24, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Actually, no, we’d like government to get the hell out of the way. That’s how Presidents make it better.

goflyers on October 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM

You go to an Obama rally and you see the real representation of America.
HotAirLib on October 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I’m sick of hearing that because I’m white I don’t represent America or my influence should be diminished. Anyway, since you only view people by their color – go to a Romney headquarters – I think you will be surprised.

HellCat on October 25, 2012 at 2:28 AM

I have been off of the Hot Gas’ comments section for awhile, hoping not to jinx. I am so proud of Gov Romney – he’s been my choice since the Florida GOP Primary of 2008, never waivered from supporting him and only him. I have come full circle by sending off my absentee ballot a few days back. I was confounded by the polls since the convention but his recent rise in the polls has once again restored my love of this great country.

I am positive that Romney was the correct nominee for this very time, I just can’t picture Gingrich or Santorum appealing to the indies, as Mitt is doing (sorry – had to throw that out)

Hopefully, in less than 2 weeks – we can all be buzzing about President-elect Romney’s cabinet choices and First Lady-elect Ann Romney’s plans to return grace, class and beauty to the White House.

BabysCatz on October 25, 2012 at 4:35 AM

A quick fix to this economy is to undue all of the damage done TO the economy by the far left zealot bureaucrats that Obama put in the EPA, the NLRB, the FCC to name a few. Just undo ALL of his new regulations, and that will go far to stop the insanity of spiking the costs of electricity because of his war on coal, his war on right to work states (think Boeing and SC), etc.

Romney has to have a bundle of EO’s ready to sign on day one to undo all of this damage.

karenhasfreedom on October 25, 2012 at 4:43 AM

You go to an Obama rally and you see the real representation of America.
HotAirLib on October 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

HellCat on October 25, 2012 at 2:28 AM

I agree with you completely. It has gotten to the point where, if there are many white people at an event, it is considered a bad or shameful thing. It would never seem acceptable to describe an event’s crowd as being “too black,” but all the time we hear about certain crowds being “too white,” as if that were a very negative thing. Frankly, I don’t care what race someone is. For many race-obsessed liberals, being white is something that one should apologize for. I say we should stop reducing people to their race or skin color. Someone’s race or skin color says very little about who they are as an individual. The truth is that the most racist voters out there are Obama supporters, but you will hear very little discussion about that obvious fact. This is one of the reasons why I think a lot of conservatives have so much respect for nonwhite celebrities and politicians who have the guts to think for themselves and go against what the liberal culture expects of them.

bluegill on October 25, 2012 at 5:51 AM

It’s still the economy and we’re not stupid!

MJBrutus on October 25, 2012 at 6:34 AM

Another day on MSNBC saying the election is over. time magazine poll has Obama up 5 in Ohio. D/R/I is 290/220/220 or +11% D over Republicans and Independents. Have they no shame?

Bensonofben on October 25, 2012 at 6:39 AM

You see, the Marxists view the “people of color” as the “oppressed masses” and whites of European ancestry as “capitalist imperialist oppressors.” Of course it is just an illustration of the moral and intellectual bankruptcy of the modern Left.

Without the promise of spoils to pass out to their client constituencies, there would be no reason for anyone to vote for them – other than just hating America.

Adjoran on October 25, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Yesterday, there was an estimated 50K of Tea Party Patriots that left solid red states heading for Ohio and other swing states to volunteer. The intensity is definitely on our side.

jjnco73 on October 25, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Bensonofben on October 25, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Don’t pay any more attention to those folks, they are wrong. Obama is going to lose Ohio, count on it!

jjnco73 on October 25, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Yeah, that helps.

Happy Nomad on October 25, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Bensonofben on October 25, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Why anyone want to watch and quote from a network that few tune into and give them more attention and relevance is beyond me.

bayview on October 25, 2012 at 7:20 AM

jjnco73 on October 25, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Love this. Bless these people. I respect them so much for what they are doing.

bluegill on October 25, 2012 at 7:22 AM

bayview on October 25, 2012 at 7:20 AM

I agree with you. I never sit down and watch that channel for extended periods, but I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what is being said there just from seeing clips posted here and elsewhere. I never understand why people want to post a running commentary of what is being said on that Morning Joe show. Why act like everything they do deserves our attention?

bluegill on October 25, 2012 at 7:28 AM

jjnco73 on October 25, 2012 at 7:12 AM

There’s been groups from Texas here on the ground in Virginia for a couple months now. Which is good considering the Dems have no problem with voter fraud.

Happy Nomad on October 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Bensonofben on October 25, 2012 at 6:39 AM

No, they are librals…

I am looking forward to tuning over after Romney clinches on Election Night…

Need to stock up on more popcorn and more pudding for NO-vember 6th!

Khun Joe on October 25, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Good move on speech and great ad. Not sure if I believe the polls are as tight as they say. I would like to see Romney really bury obama on Nov. 6th.

I heard that 800k Ohio absentee ballots have not been submitted yet and this could delay calling the winner of the election for weeks. I would really like to see this not be based on one state. Romney can win without Ohio.

wodiej on October 25, 2012 at 8:19 AM

wodiej on October 25, 2012 at 8:19 AM

If they are not received by date specified, they do not count.

bayview on October 25, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Who is John Galt on October 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Most Texans are legally armed for the protection of their lives and the lives of their families.

rplat on October 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM

If they are not received by date specified, they do not count.

bayview on October 25, 2012 at 8:23 AM

That’s not necessarily true . . . the courts will consider the cause and reasons for the delay.

rplat on October 25, 2012 at 9:14 AM

In spite of poll results to the contrary, Obama is claiming to be ahead in the polls. Denial is their last bastion before a total collapse.

rplat on October 25, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Wow! Watching that gave me goosebumps. Great video!

We HAVE to pull this off in 2 wks. One day I’m confident and hopeful and the next I’m scared and full of doubt. There’s so much at stake here.

JennM111 on October 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Seems to me that Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Colorado are all good possibilities for Romney. Those are in addition to Ohio, Virginia, and Florida, of course. At this point, it looks like Florida and Virginia are likely Romney wins, so he’s getting close, real close.

JayDick on October 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM