Video: “Iron Man 3″ trailer

posted at 8:43 pm on October 23, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate. This one feels broodier to me than the usual fare, a little more Dark Knight-ish, shall we say. Although admittedly, having seen neither of the first two “Iron Man” movies nor any of the Nolan Batman series, I’m flying blind here. Jonathan Last is a superhero connoisseur, though, and he’s picking up a TDK vibe too, so there you go. Argument from authority. Confirmed.

Let me atone for the lack of “Iron Man” commentary by sharing my only strong reaction to the first two episodes this season of “The Walking Dead”: Whoever was in charge of casting five hardened criminals holed up in a prison overrun by zombies for 10 months and settled on these losers should be fired. The guy in the middle, in particular, felt like a joke character from the “Blue Collar Comedy Tour.” Pull it together, AMC.

Comments

ERWhiteJr on October 23, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I’m digging it

HotAirian on October 23, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I didn’t care much for this teaser, but I think the actual film could be great since Shane Black is at the helm. Anyone who’s seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang knows how talented the dude is.

Doughboy on October 23, 2012 at 8:46 PM

How can you not have seen either of the Iron Man movies? How about “The Avengers”? I haven’t seen that on.

Cindy Munford on October 23, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Iron Curtain 2

None flexible.

Electrongod on October 23, 2012 at 8:47 PM

You haven’t seen any of the Nolan Batman movies? What?!

changer1701 on October 23, 2012 at 8:49 PM

You post movie trailers pretty often so I was always took you to be something of a movie buff… but you haven’t seen any of the Nolan Batman films? I mean, I can understand missing the Iron Mans (even though they are pretty good, and readily available on Netflix), but the Batman films?! How is that possible? Are you deliberately not seeing them?

Lawdawg86 on October 23, 2012 at 8:49 PM

You monster.

I like how this will tie into stuff that happened in The Avengers – ie Stark not being able to sleep now after going through all that stuff in NY. The Iron Patriot armor nod is cool too.

mythicknight on October 23, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Can we buy you a Netflix subscription or something, man? That’s just terrible.

Nessuno on October 23, 2012 at 8:50 PM

You haven’t seen any of the Nolan Batman movies? What?!

changer1701 on October 23, 2012 at 8:49 PM

It has a man who sweats.

Not for the faint of heart.

ajacksonian on October 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Awesome

mrscullen on October 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM

The news is so slow I think I’m gonna pass out.

LibertyJane on October 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Looks like they’re copying the last Batman movie.

ebrawer on October 23, 2012 at 8:53 PM

The news is so slow I think I’m gonna pass out.

LibertyJane on October 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM

You’re in luck. The third-party candidate three-ring circus is on at 9pm EST on C-SPAN. ;)

Lawdawg86 on October 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM

The Mandarin?

Count to 10 on October 23, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Hoping for some flashbacks involving Loki.

I loves me some Loki.

tdpwells on October 23, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Shane black is the perfect choice to write the script but I’m surprised they’re letting him direct. It’s a pretty big franchise to hand to someone whose never directed action on this scale.

Kataklysmic on October 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM

The Mandarin?

Count to 10 on October 23, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Yup.

mythicknight on October 23, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Awesomeness!

journeyscarab on October 23, 2012 at 9:04 PM

OT: The third party debate is just starting now on C-SPAN.

FloatingRock on October 23, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I knew they were working on IM3, but I had no idea we’d see something for it this soon after The Avengers.

This Christmas, let’s get Allah a Netflix subscription. So many good movies he’s missing out on!

pookysgirl on October 23, 2012 at 9:05 PM

OT/
Where are our Walking Dead threads? They’re in the prison now.

Merle Dixon is supposed to show up in the next episode.

TigerPaw on October 23, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Damn, it’ll just break my heart if Gwyneth Paltrow gets killed off in this one.

…her character…I mean…

BigWyo on October 23, 2012 at 9:07 PM

and yet, still AP continues to ignore waking dead season 3. best season evah. his version of “binders of women” i guess. is that all thats left AP, iron man 3 crap? sad. waiting for you glossy portfolio of your next term agenda: 2 broke girls and the voice.

t8stlikchkn on October 23, 2012 at 9:09 PM

AP’s cat must be shell shocked..

Electrongod on October 23, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Although admittedly, having seen neither of the first two “Iron Man” movies…

AP

Wait…what?!

Jaibones on October 23, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Um. Really? You really need to see the Nolan movies. Extremely well done all around. Actually, if you have time watch all of Nolan’s movies. You could and probably have done a lot worse!

kim roy on October 23, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Needs more Stark snark.

happytobehere on October 23, 2012 at 9:12 PM

SO THIS is Donald Trump’s October Surprise? Iron Man 3 Trailer…

Varchild on October 23, 2012 at 9:13 PM

The news is so slow I think I’m gonna pass out.

LibertyJane on October 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Likewise. I smell cigarette smoke all the time and no one here smokes. I might be having an aneurysm or something.

It’s been an hour since the last swing state poll came out showing Romney up by 12…I can’t take it. I need another one!

Jaibones on October 23, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Actually got to watch them film some of this, as a couple of the scenes were filmed about 20 miles from where I live. It’s not too often that kind of thing happens here in this part of eastern NC.

xblade on October 23, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I miss Gumby..

Electrongod on October 23, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Guy Pearce? Awesome!

Go rent Lockout.

Vigilante on October 23, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I’m digging it

sadsushi on October 23, 2012 at 9:17 PM

OT: The third party debate is just starting now on C-SPAN.

FloatingRock on October 23, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Do you want me to turn it on too?

That way they when they use the word “viewers”, they won’t be lying.

Chuck Schick on October 23, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Does the villain assure Stark ‘you didn’t build that’ ?

EnglishRogue on October 23, 2012 at 9:18 PM

kim roy on October 23, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Just going by the trailer alone, it’s easy to see AP ain’t missing much. Good enough for the preteen crowd, I suppose – just the usual standard CGI-FX & pounding drums fare. Otherwise, no.

whatcat on October 23, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Allah, your geek card membership has been revoked!

NerwenAldarion on October 23, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I’ve seen them all.

gerrym51 on October 23, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Yeah, because guys that get put in the pokey for check-kiting or rape always look like the Rock…

chimney sweep on October 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Why do you hate America?

It's Vintage, Duh on October 23, 2012 at 9:45 PM

You never watch any of these kinds of movies, yet you post about them all the time. What’s the deal? Mom won’t let you out of the basement to go see these movies, so you live vicariously through us?

NotCoach on October 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I took a film class in college and the prof admitted she had never seen any of the Star Wars movies. They weren’t artsy enough for her, I guess.

AP, I want some Walking Dead posts. This season there seems to be more killing and less talking, so that’s a plus. Also, the main characters seem slightly less stupid. Agree with you about the prisoners. They were very comic-bookish. I thought the gang members who confronted them in the bar last season were much more interesting.

vermillionsky on October 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Seriously.

Are we sure Allah is not a woman?

It would explain a lot at this point.

budfox on October 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Hoping for some flashbacks involving Loki.

I loves me some Loki.

tdpwells on October 23, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Puny god.

thebrokenrattle on October 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

mythicknight on October 23, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Iron Patriot is Norman Osborne in the comics, I wonder how they’re going to handle that.

Also, the rings, and what appears to be Ben Kingsley, is he the Mandarin?

Ugh. You’re killing me. They’re fine, and most of them were killed in Ep2 anyway.

They couldn’t really have a story like the Thomas character in the books, because they don’t have enough main characters left, so the Tomas character was a decent way of showcasing Rick’s new attitude.

Axel and Oscar will be fine fodder for the Governor…the first two episodes have been amazing.

PetecminMd on October 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Maybe I’ll get to see it at our local drive in!

Bmore on October 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Saw the others there. They were fun!

Bmore on October 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

The Batman movies are overrated. The first Iron Man was good; the second was forgettable. So if you’re gonna Netflix any of ‘em, make it Iron Man 1.

mrsknightley on October 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

budfox on October 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Stereotype fail. Nice try, though.

mrsknightley on October 23, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I want to know 2 things.

Did those hombres file an environmental waiver before they destroyed that Malibu casa? Second, where does Iron Man hide his bayonet?

ted c on October 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM

AP is right. TDK ish.

brooding.

The insomnia and nightmares are a dead giveaway.

ted c on October 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

there was no “Tony Stark as int’l playboy” meme to this trailer as in IM1 and IM2.

Oh, does Gwyneth do her own stunts? ++ if she does.

ted c on October 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Ugh, the house. It was mostly CG anyway, but I loved that house and it hurts to see it blown to bits.

mrsknightley on October 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Iron Man has a giant pink bunny in his living room …. did you see that???

LissaKay on October 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I pulled a neck muscle yawning while watching this. What made Iron Man attractive was RD Jr’s swagger. Now we get deep and troubled Iron Man. Blech.

Sugar Land on October 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Pot calling the kettle black here, since there’s an f-ton of seminal stuff I haven’t seen.

But as far as the past seven years go for big movies….dude.

Hawkins1701 on October 23, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Arright, hand it over. Your blogger card. What next? You secretly hate kittehs?

smh

Christien on October 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM

AP, you really need to see the Iron Man movies. The best superhero franchise by far.

holygoat on October 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Jesus tap dancing Christ, AP…broaden your horizons a bit. I should think just about any political junkie would enjoy intelligent action thrillers.

MadisonConservative on October 23, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Two ways around it: one, Spider-Man isn’t in the Marvel film canon at the moment, and he was rebooted in the last film anyway, so they are free to ignore Willem Dafoe’s untimely demise. Two, the Marvel film universe is loosely based on the Ultimate universe (see also: Samuel-Jacksonesque Nick Fury With Eye Patch), and Norman as Iron Patriot is an Earth-616 conjuring, so they are not forced to slap the armor on him.

Also, the whispers are that is actually War Machine, just painted up to look like American military hardware. Which would be consistent with the movie canon and with Don Cheadle’s return to the franchise.

Also, the rings, and what appears to be Ben Kingsley, is he the Mandarin?

Yes, and yes.

The Schaef on October 23, 2012 at 11:48 PM

t8stlikchkn on October 23, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Yes, I agree!

I liked the first Iron Man movie (I haven’t seen part 2), but I’m more a fan of The Walking Dead.

We used to get Walking Dead threads on Hot Air almost every Sunday last season of the show. I enjoyed talking to other WD fans here on Hot Air after WD episodes.

TigerPaw on October 23, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I like it. Can’t wait for it to show here – which may be before it releases in the States. They released ‘The Avengers’ two weeks early.

Anyone else get a ‘Star Trek’ vibe when Stark’s house fell into the ocean? Maybe just a coincidence with the saucer like architecture, but I was reminded of the starship Enterprise.

I’m finally catching up on Walking Dead here – none of the (non-cable) channels have it, but I finally found a source on the ‘net. I was pleasantly surprised with this season’s opener, but – I have to agree with Allah – the prisoners were an unwanted surprise.

I’m catching up on The Mentalist (which has gone too far with the Red John subplot) and Person Of Interest, and checking out Archer and Elementary. Elementary is a rip-off off Mentalist / Sherlock / etc., but it has Lucy Lui. And that, right there, makes it a winner in my book. Rowwwrrrr.

Timothy S. Carlson on October 24, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Cheadle still horribly miscast as Rhody. And what’s up with the Mandarin’s accent? Well, I hope they make it count. Last film with Downey under contract as Stark, and these recent Marvel outings have been such a who’s who of outspoken Hollywood liberal elites he’s pretty much the only reason I still consider watching. (I wouldn’t say it’s impossible he’ll be back–but it’d cost Disney. A lot. And Disney isn’t big on that.)

Blacklake on October 24, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Doughboy on October 23, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I love that movie! Very underrated–Robert Downey Jr & Val Kilmer are great in it and Black did a great job directing.

He also wrote Lethal Weapon and The Last Boy Scout…so he’s cool in my book.

jaygatz33 on October 24, 2012 at 5:18 AM

OT/
Where are our Walking Dead threads? They’re in the prison now.

Merle Dixon is supposed to show up in the next episode.

TigerPaw on October 23, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Gonna’ be good!

Lourdes on October 24, 2012 at 5:22 AM

I thought that guy was credible, proven so because his only dialogue was confessing his “love of (his) pharmaceuticals…”

He was a credible “cooker” or such, believably dumb.

Overall, I agree with you about that group. I thought the killer-psycho ‘Leader’ of that bunch was the worst as to casting. Maybe the group had some knitting lessons while they loitered for 10 months in the sealed cafeteria…whatever, it certainly showed them being far more sedate than realistic (about that, you’re right, but I thought the “pharmaceuticals” dunce was credible).

Lourdes on October 24, 2012 at 5:26 AM

About IronMan3…

I respect Sir Ben Kingsley’s work, BUT he just doesn’t look credible in this antagonist role in this film. Can’t take him all that seriously and therefore, also the antagonist. And we already know that IronMan will beat him, don’t we?

Lourdes on October 24, 2012 at 5:28 AM

First one’s good. Second one was somewhat lazy compared w/first one, disappointing but still worth a watch. Just that First one’s far better than the second. Downey is great in both, however.

Lourdes on October 24, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Yes, that’s exactly what I thought of. Though watching the Enterprise get torn up is, of course, more painful than seeing Tony’s house get destroyed.

@Blacklake – isn’t RDJ contracted for the rest of the Avengers movies too? His personal franchise may be ending but I understood they have him locked for the rest of this one as well.

mrsknightley on October 24, 2012 at 7:11 AM

@Sugar Land – yep. I thought something felt “off” about Downey’s character in this trailer, but I didn’t know what it was until I read your comment. Tony Stark is swagger, not sap.

mrsknightley on October 24, 2012 at 7:13 AM

I’m a Marvel wh0re.
I’ll be there even if it’s bad.
I also love Downey.
The guy is an awesome actor.

Badger40 on October 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM

I’m all superhero’ed out. And every one tries to out-dark the last one. zzzzzzzzzzzz The search for a superhero brought out the Obama loons.

rhombus on October 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Nothing like watching a trailer with Robert Downey Jr talking and Intuit GoPayment commercial too!

/sarc

PastorJon on October 24, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Seriously.

Are we sure Allah is not a woman?

It would explain a lot at this point.

budfox on October 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Not a woman. Just girly.

swinia sutki on October 24, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Still waiting for a Nextwave movie.

ZK on October 24, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Well, I hope they don’t take the fun out of Iron Man. After the fabulous Joss Whedon script for The Avenagers this trailer looks like it has escaped the Marvel Universe of the movies and is wandering around the Batman franchise. Why so serious?

IdrilofGondolin on October 24, 2012 at 9:24 AM

AP, it’s ignorant to review a trailer when you have no frame of reference.

And go rent Iron Man 1.

It’s probably one of the best movies of all time.

fossten on October 24, 2012 at 9:47 AM

AP, why, just- WHY AND HOW HAVE YOU NOT SEEN THE DARK KNIGHT? Shame on you for posting a comic book hero movie without seeing The Dark Knight or even one of the Iron Man movies, dammit, just…argh

Liberty 5-3001 on October 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Why do you hate America?

It’s Vintage, Duh on October 23, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Indeed.

Liberty 5-3001 on October 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Allah, your geek card … enough said.

Maybe Pepper will be sufficiently tramatized that she’ll need to be transformed into Rescue, setting up IM4 (at least in this version of story.)

htom on October 24, 2012 at 11:00 AM

ERWhiteJr on October 23, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Stop. It’s not amusing, it’s just lame.

Jason Taylor Sacked You on October 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Why so serious?

IdrilofGondolin on October 24, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Form the voiceovers in the trailer, sounds like Tony’s going through some ptsd post-alien invasion. Which isn’t all that surprising. Throw the Mandarin into the mix, plotlines from the Extremis arc, and a dash of Demon in a Bottle…

Glorious.