Biden: Romney really isn’t qualified to be president, you know

posted at 12:41 pm on October 23, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

On an interview that aired on the Today Show this morning, Vice President Joe Biden offered his immediate reaction to last night’s foreign-policy debate, and — surprise — when asked if Romney is a qualified candidate on the foreign-policy front, Biden didn’t think that Romney showed any “vision of what he thought America’s role in the world should be.” Riiiight.

No, he’s not. He’s a good man, he’s a decent man, but he demonstrated an overwhelming lack of understanding of the international community, he demonstrated a lack of understanding in the military. … Barack Obama, I was chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, he was on my Foreign Relations Committee for four years. He demonstrated a grasp and a gravity, he had a worldview of where America’s position should be, how we should interact in the world, how we needed to rebuild alliances, etcetera etcetera. He’s acted on those from the time he came in. Gov. Romney didn’t demonstrate any breadth of understanding… Gov. Romney showed absolutely no vision of what he thought America’s place in the world should be. … I would be dumbfounded if… they thought he had demonstrated a command of the international circumstances and America’s vision of the world, that he would be a credible commander-in-chief.

Yes, because a one-term senator with a background in academia, community organizing, and autobiography-writing has a resume so much better suited to the task of commanding-in-chief than a multi-decade international businessman. Funnily enough, I happen to think that Romney’s experience in the wide world of finance actually provides him with a uniquely excellent qualification to lead on the foreign-policy front in this day and age, seeing as how the world is growing fast and we’re facing a future of global markets and international economic competition; but if you want to argue that Mitt Romney “doesn’t understand the military,” I can’t see how President Obama somehow has the upper hand in terms of qualifications.

As much as I’m loath to burst the vice president’s bubble, Romney’s task last night was to ‘pass the commander-in-chief’ test, and he definitely did. Whatever Biden might say, Romney demonstrated a broad understanding of the issues, was calm and composed, and articulated a vision of strength and prosperity for America’s future. As Matt Lauer pointed out to the veep during the interview, a while back one might’ve thought that Barack Obama would have more of the public’s confidence in matters of foreign policy, but polls are showing that voters are starting to Romney near-equal credence on that front, and I can’t imagine last night’s debate will do anything to halt that momentum.

For a final takeaway, here’s Mitt Romney’s own running mate’s impression of how the candidates fared last night:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yeah, this one is doing some sort of a bishop impersonation…he/she showed up on the debate thread last night and on the thread before hat and made some wild comments that turned out to be a somewhat poor version of bishing…

jimver on October 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Well, in all fairness, Bishing is damned hard to do really well. It take practice, and a genuinely warped mind… o_O

SWalker on October 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM

You can’t say the man is not consistent :)..

jimver on October 23, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I hate double-negatives.

Kinda like The Misfit Commie and Stupid Joe.

;O)

OhEssYouCowboys on October 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Um, Oboo-boo, “ships that go under water” are called submarines… which are called boats, not ships…

psrch on October 23, 2012 at 1:22 PM

U-Boat, doh…You’d think that he watched a WW2 movie, or read a book about it or something :).. The smartest man on the planet :)…

jimver on October 23, 2012 at 1:27 PM

SWalker on October 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Zactly…that’s why I am saying ‘don’t try it at home’ :)… Especially if you don’t have the warped mind to back it up with :)

jimver on October 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Who needs Obama to state his case when you have Miss Savannah to do the heavy lifting for him.

….spit….

bluealice on October 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Joe also thinks they’ll win Florida.

Get ready to be dumbfounded, Joe, if being more dumbfounded is possible.

Dusty on October 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I’m being told that Gallup was late in updating and that the numbers are actually:

Romney: 53%

Obama: 47%

Resist We Much on October 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM

psrch on October 23, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Yep, ships that “go under water” are called the Lusitania, the Titanic, and the Costa Concordia, to name a few.

Resist We Much on October 23, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Ha! I’d love someone to pull the transcripts of the meetings held by the Foreign Relations Committee and:

1. Tally how often Obama even managed to show up
2. Report on what pearls of wisdom the genius from Chicago passed along to his fellow committee members and those testifying before the committee

I do find it interesting that Sen. Obama’s support for a bill that would make it US policy to cut global poverty in half hasn’t received more attention. The US would abide by an assessment – “our fair share” – issued by the UN to cough up trillions over a span of years.

in_awe on October 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Clint nailed this creep, Joe Binder.

Intellect of the Democratic party…Kind of a grin, with a body behind it.

Christien on October 23, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Romney: 53%

Obama: 47%

Resist We Much on October 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Shuddup. Man, this election might be over five minutes after Bret and Megyn start bloiating.

msupertas on October 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Sorry, Gallup:

51/46

+5 Romney

Resist We Much on October 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM

SWalker on October 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM

jimver on October 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I’m thinking that Bishop slogged his way through the utter brutality of several hundred bottles of Patron to sharpen that razor wit.

SWalker on October 23, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Joe also thinks they’ll win Florida.

Get ready to be dumbfounded, Joe, if being more dumbfounded is possible.

Dusty on October 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM

If Joe found his dumb, he’d be ten times smarter.

msupertas on October 23, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I wonder how Obozo got 63%. Who are these people they are polling? Community organizers? Occupy Wall Street? DNC staff?

jclittlep on October 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM

bloiating=bloviating

msupertas on October 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM

At least he meets the Constitutional requirements, unlike the current president.

Dante on October 23, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Intrade Odds

Obama: 58.5

Romney: 41.4

Dante on October 23, 2012 at 1:46 PM

The tinfoil is strong with this one.

Resist We Much on October 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Biden doesn’t meet the qualifactions for “idiot” he would require significant education to reach that level.

NoDonkey on October 23, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Ryan did well in that interview. I’d like to see the media go that hard against the Dem clowns. She almost sounded like Stephanie Cutter.

paul1149 on October 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Who cares what Biden has to say about anything. Speaking, as he is, from the bottom of a bucket of warm spit, what Joey has to say about anything is immaterial.

But he will opine, and the State Controlled Media will always give him a microphone and a few feet of videotape – its in their contract with the devil.

It must be disheartening for him to realize that had it been his ash that turned up dead in Benghazi, his master, Barack Hussein Mohammed Obama would have had the official U. S. Order Of Succession to turn to:

1. The Late Joe Biden nixed,

2. Speaker of the House of Representatives, one John Boehner,
Republican, and after Obama ordered him Hellfire rocketed from a passing drone;

3. President pro Tempore of the Senate, Happy Harry Reid, and when Harry opts for safety instead of glory;

4. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, and failing that, one

5. Secretary of the Treasury, Timmy Geithner (Tax cheat and crook.

It would never go past Boehner, as any action contrary would grow into an immediate civil war where Obama, himself would risk the Hellfire missile from a passing drone up his wazoo.

dockywocky on October 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I’m still wondering if his white, white teeth are going to fly out when he speaks. They look new, so maybe they won’t…..unless the fit isn’t good.
My former husband used to look like then when angry ……and, well……it wasn’t pretty. (O.O)

avagreen on October 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Unskewed polls has Romney winning by 5.1. Up from 4.3+ or something yesterday.

avagreen on October 23, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Biden: Romney really isn’t qualified to be president, you know
…and during the 2008 primaries: Biden: “…right now I don’t believe he (OBOZO) is (ready to be president). The presidency is not something that leads itself to on-the-job training”.

TeaPartyNation on October 23, 2012 at 2:00 PM

How in hell would you know Joe?

rplat on October 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I have never heard the words “I” and “Me” used so many times as we do from these two Yahoo’s.

Pomai on October 23, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Intrade Odds

Obama: 58.5

Romney: 41.4

Resist We Much on October 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM

My instincts tell me there’s money to be made going long on Romney. Too bad my wife would veto me backing up my speculation with money.

freedomfirst on October 23, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Bayonets and horses?

That is a pair and I heard that most people don’t know about horses and special forces in the Afghan theater.

The arrogant comments were very much like the whole O White House or at least the campaign staff. R made the mistake of using the “1917 navy” line once too often and the president was ready with a retort. Like an eighteen year old valley girl, he just jumped on the date to provide ridicule. He probably looked it up and found that he would look like an ass or insensitive to our sailors and overseas obligations if he got into the real issue.

After that crack, I would have asked O, since he brought up bayonets, when the last successful bayonet charge was and what sort of combat conditions they are used in, according to the manual of any service. Oh — I would add US armed service.

I wish Mitt had my brain about six times in the course of the three debates. Then sanity grabs me and I remember how many votes Goldwater got.

IlikedAUH2O on October 23, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Howdy Doody

ultracon on October 23, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Resist We Much on October 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM

The Constitutional ignorance is strong with this one.

Dante on October 23, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Is Donald Trump connected to these charges? I didn’t see that anywhere in the article. The headline says “trumped-up charges,” but that’s about it.

TarheelBen on October 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I’m not sure, that’s why I was asking. I’d read that Trump was dropping some big game changer today or tomorrow and wasn’t sure if this was all it was.

hollygolightly on October 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Hey Joe- Go Fluke yourself! Scary that you were added to the ticket to provide the gravitas that one does not get as a community agitator.

Happy Nomad on October 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM

My cat is more qualified to be POTUS than any Democrat. You and your boss Obuma, leaders of the Democrats, are irrefutable proof!

aposematic on October 23, 2012 at 3:00 PM

OT: Trump’s big game changer is having proof that BO used and sold cocaine in college?:
http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/10/president obama-sold-cocaine-college-trump-charges-republicans-reject

hollygolightly on October 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM

The Romney camp was smart to stay away from this because it’s a loser (definitely right up Trump’s alley though).
JFS61 on October 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Good for both Trump and the Romney campaign. It won’t hurt Trump to come out with this and it won’t help Obama if he does. Can never be too much info out there highlighting Obama’s true character.

cheetah2 on October 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Actually, that’s “a one/third-term senator”.

jnelchef on October 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM

…Barack Obama, I was chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, he was on my Foreign Relations Committee for four years.

Yeah, BO spent four looooong years with the Clown Prince of Foreign Policy, Joe “Hey, My Shoelaces Taste Good” Biden. What is that, like 15 minutes worth of real experience?

Marxism is for dummies on October 23, 2012 at 3:20 PM

He probably couldn’t run my small business.

Voter from WA State on October 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM

He could come in and say “you didn’t build that”.

What more do you need?

NoDonkey on October 23, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Intrade Odds 58.0 42.0

Resist We Much on October 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Romney’s such an ignoramus. With a dangerously inept buffoon like that in charge, we’d never have been able to push Hezbollah out of Lebanon.
RINO in Name Only on October 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM

/ intended…?
22044 on October 23, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Oops, didn’t see this earlier. Yes, I don’t like to use sarc tags.

I was referencing a line from the 2008 VP debate where Biden claimed that we had teamed up with the French to kick Hezbollah out of Lebanon (we have done no such thing, nor has anyone else, and Hezbollah remains part of the Lebanese government to this day).

It’s an obscure enough reference that I should have put a link or something – I just forgot it had been so long, since the raw stupidity of it is seared into my memory like it happened yesterday.

RINO in Name Only on October 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM

hollygolightly on October 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM

JFS61 on October 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM

cheetah2 on October 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Trump says that’s not his doing.

slickwillie2001 on October 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM

RINO in Name Only on October 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM

This is your brain.

This is your brain on Joe Biden’s stupidity.

Any questions?

Lily on October 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Senator Eye Candy—- Present !

Hey Joe… Hows your brother doing know, since his good fortune has allowed him to come into millions of federal spending tax dollars – being in the right place at the right time ? Right on !

You guys should all go to jail.

Creeps, the lot of you.

FlaMurph on October 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM

You know, I’ve noticed a glaring absence of Verbulace, Urban Elitist, and Gumbypokey on all of the threads today.

I guess the lefties couldn’t come up with talking points for today. Much like Obama is pulling out of FL, VA and NC – he appears to be pulling his staff out of conservative blog comments.

Monkeytoe on October 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM

After enduring four debates listening to Obama Biden, I not only miss Bush yet I miss every president we’ve ever had plus all of the monarchs of England to date….

Even Obama’s poor kids must miss Bush by this point.

And Bo growls every time he hears his master’s voice…

Sherman1864 on October 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Well don’t pay attention to that guy Romney, your own eyes deceive you, he isn’t qualified to be prez hahahah wow it is over

Measure the drapes Mitt

Conservative4ev on October 23, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Can someone fact-check this? Was he really on the Foreign Relations Committee?

Because BiteMe is known for making sh!t up.

Lanceman on October 23, 2012 at 5:21 PM

dockywocky on October 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Wrong, Skeezix. Daniel In-No-Way is President Pro-Tem.

Hairy Reed is the majority leader.

Lanceman on October 23, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Hold on to your seats, things are going to get much much nastier in the next 2 weeks. We all know what desperate liberals are capable of.

tkyang99 on October 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Dear God..

That fumbling halfwit lies with the ease of a pathological liar.. he really believes what he says, then 30 seconds later will completely change 180 degrees and believe that too…

and the democrats… think Joe is a great guy?.. One of their proudest foreign policy experts?

Name an issue in the last 40 years that he HASN’T been totally wrong on..

just one..

but they keep on siting this bumbling clown as one of their best,.. when in a sane reality, Joe would be smiling that Forest Gump grin behind the soda counter at one of the last drive in theaters.

Smiling that same smile both when he’s screwing up an order… or cleaning toilets..

The man is a dolt of biblical proportions.. and the democrats are proud of him. He doesn’t just lie like a cheap politician he lies too badly even for that.. he lies in the .. “Everyone knows.. the sky is green” with a broad pearly toothed grin that let’s you know, the man is insane.

So.. why do they send out this walking gaffe machine?

mark81150 on October 23, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Can someone fact-check this? Was he really on the Foreign Relations Committee?

Because BiteMe is known for making sh!t up.

Lanceman on October 23, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Wasn’t he only in the Senate for two?.. before becoming president.. when was he elected to the US Senate?.. The number people site, is he was a Senator for just two years.

mark81150 on October 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Monkeytoe on October 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM

It is taking all-day reeducation sessions to convince them that little Bammie won Monday’s debate.

slickwillie2001 on October 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Wiki says..

The United States Senate career of Barack Obama began on January 4, 2005 and ended on November 16, 2008

they also say he was on Biden’s committee, but not for 4 years…

so Biden… again.. is making stuff up.

and really, does anyone really believe Obama paid the slightest attention to his job?.. He started running for president before he planted his butt in his Senate seat….

He didn’t even try to earn his way up, it was always a stepping stone, and only a fool believe Obama has the slightest clue about foreign policy..

He doesn’t have one, he’s using Putin’s..

mark81150 on October 23, 2012 at 6:07 PM

“Stand up Chuck”.

chewmeister on October 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Can someone fact-check this? Was he really on the Foreign Relations Committee?

Because BiteMe is known for making sh!t up.

Lanceman on October 23, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Even if true, I’m sure Bammie skipped out on all the meetings. It’s how he rolls.

chewmeister on October 23, 2012 at 6:12 PM

mark81150 on October 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM

He was there 179 days before he officially started running for president.

Lanceman on October 23, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Lanceman on October 23, 2012 at 6:19 PM

While having his salary paid by the Government. When he was there, he was absent for a large part of the time.

avagreen on October 23, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Dear God..

Thanks for saying that…….at times I feel I’ve gone insane listing to this man. I can’t believe my ears, especially when this fool, half-wit isn’t called out! By anyone.

I think the liberal world is what is insane.

avagreen on October 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Joe Biden, creepy old man, always looks constipated.

txhsmom on October 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM

My grandfather never liked that guy much, he(grandfather) won Senior Citizen of the Year one year and told them they had better not invite that man. Of course he is from norther Delaware and we are from Slower Lower, us damn chicken farmers! He didn’t like politicians much at all anyway, something about our liberties being bought and sold at market in DC. Guess that is where I get my distates for them as well, something about jelously guarding our liberties and freedom. Glad he’s gone to a better place, he was part of the ever dwindling population of the Greatest Generation.

MarshFox on October 23, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Qualifications for the Office of President

Age and Citizenship requirements – US Constitution, Article II, Section 1
No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.

Term limit amendment – US Constitution, Amendment XXII, Section 1 – ratified February 27, 1951

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.

———–

The only requirement other than the above to qualified to be President is to be elected.

Given Obama’s slim resume, and assuming he really did meet Article II, Section 1, Joe needs to go back to Constitutional Law class.

ProfShadow on October 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Biden: Romney really isn’t qualified to be president, you know

What a co-inky-dink! Neither is Obama – which don’t leave much room for you, lunch bucket boy.

locomotivebreath1901 on October 23, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Biden: Romney really isn’t qualified to be president, you know

Says the guy who is not qualified to take out Romney’s trash.

IrishEyes on October 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Wow, this has all the gravitas of that drunk from the Exxon Valdez telling that fellow that crash landed his plane in the Hudson River that he had no business taking a cab to work.

Way to go Joe!!

You Rock…or something….

BigWyo on October 24, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Joe Biden? Would you buy a Buick from this man? He’s not qualified to be dog catcher. A bartender? Yes—with the proviso you’d need to hike the price of drinks to cover in-house consumption costs.

Portia46 on October 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM