Video: 62% want a significant change from Obama policies in next four years

posted at 10:41 am on October 22, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

We didn’t circle back around to the NBC/WSJ poll after the initial tease yesterday morning, but Joe Scarborough and his team certainly did.  Mark Halperin, who was one of the few national journalists to note that Barack Obama didn’t outline a second-term agenda in his second debate, discovers an important clue as to why, on today’s Morning Joe.  While Obama has been vaguely offering a stay-the-course argument through economic stagnation and a 31-year low in workforce participation, more than six in ten likely voters want a big change from Obama’s first-term policies:

“People don’t want him to finish [what he's started.] People want a change in direction.”

The D/R/I on this poll is 32/26/39, not a very impressive sample this close to the election.  The respondents voted for Barack Obama by eight in 2009, 45/37, with 13% who didn’t vote at all.  The percentage of non-white respondents matches that of the 2008 election, 26%, which is arguably a good model for this one, if slightly optimistic for Obama in light of recent measures of enthusiasm among his key demographics.

Why might 62% of people look for significant change?  Obama only gets a 46/52 approval rating on the economy, for one, and Romney edges Obama in the ability to generate jobs, 45/41.  Only 45% expect the economy to get better in the next year, and only half think it’s recovering at all. Furthermore, Obama trails by 13 against Romney on dealing with deficits, 35/48.

At 62%, the economy can’t be driving the entirety of the demand for change, but it’s a big part of it.  And most worrisome for Obama, it’s a bigger number than George W. Bush faced in 2004 (55%), when change meant war policy and not the economy.  Without a clear second-term agenda that promises a change in direction, voters are likely to go to the challenger for the change they clearly desire, and which this President has failed to provide.

Comments

Is the commenting thingy broke?

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM

No. Huh?

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Why even take a chance

Conservative4ev on October 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I hope this is part of Romney’s closing statement tonight.

changer1701 on October 22, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Two threads with a 0 comments. I have never see that before. I was a little nervous.

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 10:45 AM

F O R W A R D !
…what?

KOOLAID2 on October 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

That’s the nail.

It’s what I’ve always felt.

People will only vote for Obama if he’s going to become Clinton 2.

That what the Dem convention high was based off of.

But his inability to commit to that, to show he’s going to the majority of his cabinet out and tack to a real center, is killing him.

Because Obama has no interest in that.

As he said back in ’08, Clinton’s presidency was a missed opportunity and not one of consequence.

So to go back to that now, is an admission by Barry that he was wrong.

Something he’s never been able to do.

budfox on October 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Ed, that was just plain weird. Lol! ; ) say where do the comments from the other one go? : )

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

If people genuinely feel this way and a majority end up voting to reelect Obama, this country is lost. No one whether they support Obama or not thinks for one second he has some secret new and improved agenda that he’s preparing to unleash after November 6.

Doughboy on October 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

62% want a significant change from Obama policies in next four years

The only way to make it happen is to get rid of Baracka.

Hope and change, baby. Hope and change.

UltimateBob on October 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 10:45 AM

My bad. I meant to publish the other one later, and screwed up the timing. I’m still working on the other one. It will go up next.

Ed Morrissey on October 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Andrea Mitchell indicated that dear leader cant be specific since his ideas would be too controversial

From those who are screaming for mitt to be specific

Hypocrite

cmsinaz on October 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM

So, yeah, the “poll” is pretty contradictory I would say.

That 62% screams that those folks basically want to or are going to be voting for someone OTHER than B.O.

My mood just improved a little.

Meople on October 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM

If Obama had moved to the center for the election, he would be ahead by 15 points.

I am glad they were over confident and stayed full-Marxist.

faraway on October 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM

NOT. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.

If he gets reelected why should he change paths, he gets his mandate back to destroy America. For him that’s all that matters.

clippermiami on October 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Ed Morrissey on October 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM

It was more strange and funny than bad. ; ) I see something new around here every day. Lol!

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Mitt has last closing statement

Jugular time

cmsinaz on October 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Then why the heck is TFG polling at anything over 38%?! Half-wits failing the Einstein definition of insanity.

redsweater on October 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM

From those who are screaming for mitt to be specific

Hypocrite

cmsinaz on October 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Don’t forget our buddy Bob. He’ll be asking for specifics tonight as well.
Why doesn’t anyone bring up San Fran Nan. No specifics for her, just vote for it to see what’s in it! No problemo.

LeftCoastRight on October 22, 2012 at 10:54 AM

If Obama didn’t change course after his “shellacking” in the 2010, he will not after winning a “mandate,” which in his world means winning reelection by a slimmer margin. Any of those 62% that hope he will change course and vote thinking he will deserve 4 more years of nothing but hell.

Resist We Much on October 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM

62% want a significant change from Obama policies in next four years

Yet, President Obama has given absolutely NO indication he is willing to change his approach or direction. And how many of that 62% are still going to vote for him? Probably most of them.

Mitoch55 on October 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Goodness, 62%? Are we sure the 6 is not upside down….

hillsoftx on October 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Doughboy on October 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

It’s called a balance sheet recession after a once in a lifetime financial crisis and it’s nothing the government can end with a few policy initiatives. Across the board tax cuts- that no one knows how to balance without increasing the deficit- may be a worse plan than an ‘improved agenda’.

bayam on October 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM

“Mitt has last closing statement

Jugular time

cmsinaz on October 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM”

Was there a coin flip?

gumbyandpokey on October 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM

TFGRP will take this as a sign to go full communist.

Bishop on October 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM

So what the 62% are actually saying is, they want someone else. I have been saying that since 2007.

DanaSmiles on October 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM

From those who are screaming for mitt to be specific

Hypocrite

cmsinaz on October 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM

So basically she’s conceding that Obama’s true 2nd term agenda would be anathema to a majority of the electorate?

Doughboy on October 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Yepper lcr

cmsinaz on October 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM

However, those in Ohio seem to like the way things are???? What the heck is it with that state? If Romney had a lead in that state that mirrors Gallup…this race is over. Despite things looking good for Romney nationally there is a possibility he could still lose Ohio…and we all know what we have been told. No Republican has ever won the Presidency without Ohio. Frustration setting in….

SPGuy on October 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Unless there is an objection I have brought my comment from last nights QOTD over. I thought since I had made it so late, not many folks may have seen it. Sure it is based on my observations, but, I think it is worth knowing about all the same.

So any way here’s what I did with my day today. Not my choice mind you. I was helping my better half. I spent the day at a outdoor festival in the middle of the most liberal section of the city. The ones of you who know me, know which city. I was without a doubt one of the only Conservative there. Thousands of folks. Freaks, leftest’s and some nice liberals. Of course I talked smack with everyone of them I could all day. The better half hates this about me, but it’s who I am. I never cower away from conversation or confrontation. Their choice as to which generally up to the person or persons I am speaking with. I must say I was surprised as to how demoralized many of them are. The is an underlying seething hatred for 0 that shocked me. They are deeply distraught and they blame him. I do not mean to suggest that many of them will go for Romney, some will as they see him as acceptably center left and good on pocketbook issues. Many however simply will not participate this go round. They are deeply disappointed. Many will blindly vote for 0 . No changing their minds about it. They are truly vile and despicable creatures. I do not consider them fellow countrymen anymore. They are my adversary, dare I say my enemy, the enemy within. I wish no ill towards them. I wish them gone. 0 does not have the momentum of these voters behind him lockstep anymore. He will lose because of it. I observed far too much to record here but on balance my determination is they are demoralized. 0 is all but done. 0 is done!

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Doesn’t it seem impossible that 62% who want to change direction would still vote for him?

Cindy Munford on October 22, 2012 at 11:01 AM

The only change Barry has in mind if re-elected is even faster forward speed to the extreme left in fulfilling his goals.

hawkeye54 on October 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM

The=There

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Excellent closing!

And don’t forget this one (under title “Remember This”:

tomg51 on October 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Yes gumby

Dear leader gets first question and mitt last closing statement according to news updates on radio

cmsinaz on October 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM

TFGRP will take this as a sign to go full communist.

Bishop on October 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Or worse… full zombie…

SWalker on October 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Cindy Munford on October 22, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Good morning Cindy, glad you made it and all is well. For what it’s worth see my observation above from yesterday. ; )

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Warning to everyone, don’t panic if Gallup closes in today. Many “experts” think Romney had a big polling day last Sunday and when it drops today his lead will drop.

If Romney remains up 4-7% today on Gallup, then that is huge.

midgeorgian on October 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM

The leftists are bad to devour there own.

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Believe so doughboy

cmsinaz on October 22, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Was there a coin flip?

gumbyandpokey on October 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM

There was for the first 3 debates if I’m not mistaken. I hope Mitt gets the closing statement. I have no doubt he’ll knock it out of the park.

Doughboy on October 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Doughboy on October 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I think I read somewhere, 0 gets the first question tonight.

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I think I read somewhere, 0 gets the first question tonight.

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

First Question for Obama: How much is Moochell going to miss going on 10 vacations a year on the public dime…

SWalker on October 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Headlines over at Yahoo News.

After a few high-profile international gaffes, Romney will try to erase doubts about his abilities.

Concerns raised over ties between Romney family and voting…

Romney must gauge how aggressive he can be against Obama without alienating swing voters.

Gosh, wish we had some Conservatives that would influence some of the comments over there. Maybe temper their lefty spin?

BWWWWWHAHAHAHAHA

PappyD61 on October 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM

My big dilemma for the day. Early voting is open and I am wondering if I should just go vote because I have been waiting so long, or wait a little longer to savor the sweetness of joining in election day when the whole country collectively tosses out the Obamabums. Decisions, decisions.

txmomof6 on October 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM

SWalker on October 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM

My hope is, quite a bit. : )

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM

txmomof6 on October 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Greetings, fellow Texan. The wife and I are going this weekend. She refused to vote in the midterms, but I’ve been reminding her for months that she has to vote in this election.

Doughboy on October 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM

txmomof6 on October 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Same here. My friends have discussed how great it will feel to go on Nov. 6th then go out together for lunch. We’re inviting people who have never met, and they all say it’s a ‘go’ for them. Everyone we’ve spoken to is anxious and excited.

Cody1991 on October 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM

First question to 0 tonight. Mr. President, why do you bow so much to foreign leaders?

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM

‘Was there a coin flip?

gumbyandpokey on October 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Doughboy on October 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM”

I know there was a coin flip in the hall a few hours before the first debate, but didn’t know if they did that for all the debates or just rotated based on that first result.

Having the last word could be an advantage if Mitt can make an eloquent final sale.

gumbyandpokey on October 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Calling Dick Tracy, calling Dick Tracy…….explain to us what’s happened……..people are dissatisfied?……………Couldn’t be! Not with Teh Won.

Herb on October 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Andrea Mitchell needs to lay out Obama’s 2nd term agenda in detail… Dear Leader won’t…

Khun Joe on October 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM

If you die or get hospitalized before election day, sucks to be you either way. But if you haven’t voted early, we all suffer too. Why so selfish?

redsweater on October 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM

txmomof6 on October 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Have been so anxious to vote, had to go first thing this morning. Vote for RR, Ted Cruz and Pete Olsen. You have no idea how nice it is to not see Ron Paul’s name on the ballot. Was surprised that there was a line this morning, pretty sure the vast majority were RR voters.

opustx on October 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM

‘Toon of the Day: It Wasn’t Me

M2RB: Shaggy feat RikRok

Resist We Much on October 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Is the definition of insanity doing the same thing twice and
hoping for a different result the second time?

Amjean on October 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM

The bad news -a significant portion of that 62% want MORE socialism, want higher taxes on ‘the rich’ and the eeeevil corporations, more spending and free crap, and think that President Jackass has been too much like President George W. Bush.

slickwillie2001 on October 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Only 62%?

Everyone isn’t sick of this jerk’s shenanigans yet?

Defenestratus on October 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I almost fear for the Husband’s sanity if The Won pulls out a win.

Cindy Munford on October 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Why would he change if he has more “flexibility”? Unless, of course, one considers doubling down as a change.

Cleombrotus on October 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Perhaps, B, these leftists were demoralized because an actual conservative showed up at their festival and he didn’t have horns or such.

Seriously, I’m seeing the same thing from folks in the small towns near my ranch in South Texas who, mostly Mexican-American, went solid Obama in 2008. You see only a smattering of Obama stickers and signs, which in 2008 were omnipresent. I’d estimate that well over half of them will not vote at all or just not vote for President when they do vote.

If he’s losing support in the solid D bastions of South Texas, he’s got muy problemas as my friends would say.

TXUS on October 22, 2012 at 11:57 AM

What difference does it make if every dog, alien & corpse is pulling the level for Obama 2 or 3 times a piece?

Browncoatone on October 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM

There is only one way to change and it isn’t re electing Obama and thinking he is going to care what 62% of anybody thinks.

magicbeans on October 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I almost fear for the Husband’s sanity if The Won pulls out a win.

Cindy Munford on October 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I fear for my country. Your husband will be fine, he has you.

Jvette on October 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Oh? You want change? How’s about THIS for a change?

Cleombrotus on October 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I almost fear for the Husband’s sanity if The Won pulls out a win.

Cindy Munford on October 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I believe based on all that I am both personally witnessing and on the trending polls Your husbands sanity will remain quite intact. I don’t want to get my hopes up too much, but we may see 0 garner no more than 43% of the vote. 18 states no better.

Bmore on October 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM

And whatever he would say about change, contrary to his destructive and Utopian philosophy, NO one sane would believe.

This Pinocchio/Muenchhausen/Orwell/Machiavelli/Goebbels sausage is now exposed nakid.

Schadenfreude on October 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM

The Democrats don’t care about the voice of the people. They care about enacting their agenda. If you look at the healthcare law, 60% of the people are opposed to it. Look at a balanced budget admendment and over 70% of the people want that. Same with voter ID laws and enforcement of immigration laws. All of these are of no concern to the Democrats.
So, while this poll tells us that 62% of the voters want something new if Obama is reelected, nothing new will come because the President has shown his deafness towards the electorate and he won’t have to face another election in his lifetime.

djaymick on October 22, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Hope & Change got us worse and depression.

What makes anyone think that any changes would be for the BETTER if this guy was re-elected?

ajacksonian on October 22, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Lol! Even when they purposely SKEW the poll, they still get hammered by the EPIC FAILURE of the Marxist Messiah! The American people have had enough of the failure and the BS that goes with it. You can only piss on people and call it rain, for so long, til someone turns and beats you to a pulp! You can’t complain too much about the Marxist Messiah. You voted him in without vetting him. The Obama Enemy media, is another matter all together. If they had done their job, instead of lie, obfuscate and distract, from who the Messiah was & is, we wouldn’t be in this mess and going downhill fast! The media has to be treated like the fowl bunch of jihadis they are! Just like a muslim jihadi, if you don’t hit them back hard, you will only embolden and encourage them for the next time they attack! Here’s how to deal with them: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM

he’s got muy problemas as my friends would say.

TXUS on October 22, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Problema is when the Negra Modelo bottle is empty, and the waiter is nowhere to be found!

Viva Romney! Viva Ryan!

Tenwheeler on October 22, 2012 at 1:29 PM

slickwillie2001 on October 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM

My thoughts exactly. Of the 62%, I would guess 47% are fed up with Obama, while 15% think he is governing too far right!

mdenis39 on October 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Dear HotAir, Ed Morrissey, Allahpundit, et al

Please, PLEASE ***STOP*** the autostart video advertisements on your page. Are you TRYING to drive off your readers?

The video ads with audio are disruptive. I can’t visit your site if I can’t trust HotAir not to suddenly, inexplicably and without warning start an audio track. Keeping my computer on mute is not an option.

Thank you.