DWS: Romney’s foreign policy is “unclear,” but he would drag us back to “cowboy justice”

posted at 2:41 pm on October 22, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

On MSNBC this morning, DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz had some tough words for Mitt Romney’s foreign-policy stance — but, her tough words were rather oddly contradictory, for which Chuck Todd didn’t fail to call her out. Via Mediaite:

DWS: That’s why we have to keep our eye on the prize, we have to keep focusing on making sure that we can protect America from those who would do us harm, not the backwards cowboy justice that Mitt Romney would drag us back to. It’s so unclear, what Mitt Romney would do differently than President Obama, other than that…

Todd: …Wait a minute, I’m confused, you’ve just sort of said two different things. You said cowboy foreign policy, and then you said it’s not clear what he would do differently from President Obama. You just, that’s two different things.

DWS: …And that is the nature of what Mitt Romney’s focus in foreign policy has been. Who knows what, he hasn’t said what he would do differently. He has done a lot of bellicose chest-thumping, that leads you to believe that instead of what President Obama…

Todd: You think it will be a different foreign policy. Are you trying to say that it will be, or…

DWS: I’m saying I have no idea, because he has not made it clear. He has plenty of opportunity tonight to make it clear what he would do differently than President Obama. Is it that he’d take us to war in Iran, does he think that we should be engaged in more military action? He hasn’t said, he’s done a lot, he’s gone up to that line, he’s done a lot of chest-thumping, but, going to war is the last option, not the first, and Mitt Romney has flirted with the idea that that’s the direction we should go.

I think she kind of rhetorically saved herself by immediately trying to morph her “cowboy” policy comment to mean more empty chest-thumping than referring to any of Romney’s actual substantive positions, but she pretty obviously exposed Team Obama’s strategy of capitalizing on any remaining anti-Bush, anti-war sentiment by characterizing Romney as the next ‘cowboy diplomat,’ regardless of whether that’s actually true.

But, what some might incite as “bellicose chest-thumping,” others might call showing emphatic signs of strength and resolve — and displaying a ready willingness to both talk the talk and walk the walk is one of the better war-prevention methods around (“peace through strength,” anyone?). Somehow, President Obama’s policies seem to have managed to worsen our standing with both our enemies and our allies; and whatever the foreign-policy claims to fame about which he’ll boast tonight (cough cough, I wonder), the fact remains that it’s tough to lead the world, either by force or example, when our economy is ailing and our national debt is one of our greatest security threats. That is an area in which Mitt Romney most definitely excels.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama Foreign policy in one word: Anti-colonial

Oil Can on October 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I cringe at the thought of listening to her!

LeftCoastRight on October 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Would he order a drone strike on a 16 year old American citizen, Congresswoman? Inquiring constituents want to know.

SoFlaCon on October 22, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Gee, I thought Obama had put her under wraps. She is the gift that keeps on giving.

Bitter Clinger on October 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM

-Excuse me, Sergeant Schultz, didn’t TFGRP go to war against Libya without the consent of Congress?

“That’s different.”

-How?

“This interview is over.”

Bishop on October 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM

This pos is the perfect democrat. A cement headed liar who spouts the party line with such lying ease. No shame!

rjoco1 on October 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I like “cowboy justice” it’s a whole lot better than “social justice” i.e. Marxism.

Axion on October 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Obama Foreign policy in one word: Anti-colonial

Oil Can on October 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Obama foreign policy in one hyphenated word….. Anti-American.

Happy Nomad on October 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM

DWS: Super Genius.

juanito on October 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Translation of DWS: I don’t know what Romney would do, but it must be bad, because Romney would be doing it.

Maybe we could use a little cowboy mojo when dealing with Komrade Vlad, rather than Obama’s “flexible” wet-noodle approach.

If our enemies all want one candidate for President, patriotic Americans should vote for the other guy.

Steve Z on October 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM

but he would drag us back to “cowboy justice”

Well, duh! Why else do you think Clint Eastwood was invited to speak at the Convention?

aunursa on October 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Team Obama will regret their attempts to paint Romney as a bloodthirsty, jingoistic cowboy.

Much as the first debate proved Romney not to be a cold-hearted, evil, vulture-capitalist murderer, tonight’s debate will show Romney not to be a warmonger.

Advantage: Romney.

steebo77 on October 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM

DWS: I’m saying I have no idea, because he has not made it clear.

DWS: I’m saying I have no idea, because he has not made it clear.

DWS: I’m saying I have no idea, because he has not made it clear.

DWS: I’m saying I have no idea, because he has not made it clear.

DWS: I’m saying I have no idea, because he has not made it clear.

DWS: I’m saying I have no idea, because he has not made it clear.

DWS: I’m saying I have no idea, because he has not made it clear.

DWS: I’m saying I have no idea, because he has not made it clear.

What a freakshow. Nothing but an unmitigated, disastrous, Commie-filth freakshow.

AND THS IS THE DNC CHAIR.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 22, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Awwww, she took down her wild bouffant from yesterday with Snuffleupagus. Hoosierdaddy was laughing like a hyena in another room, and when I went to see what was so funny, he pointed at the screen and DWS.

hoosiermama on October 22, 2012 at 2:47 PM

She isn’t even trying anymore.

It’s either you’re an obozobot or you’re a rational person who sees the “Liberals” are nothing more than lying “win at all costs” Marxists.

KMC1 on October 22, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Axion on October 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM

What are your feelings on “reproductive justice”?

steebo77 on October 22, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Bitter Clinger on October 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM

If the polls don’t improve, the rat-eared wonder is going to send DWS, Biden, and a few others on a super-secret mission to check out the stabilty of Guam or something.

Happy Nomad on October 22, 2012 at 2:47 PM

“I have no idea”

Debbie Wasserman Schultz has never uttered truer words.

STL_Vet on October 22, 2012 at 2:47 PM

This is the empty head who is clueless to “Obama’s hit list”.

Schadenfreude on October 22, 2012 at 2:48 PM

You mean, like all the bellicose chest-thumping Obama has done about “getting bin Laden”? Or how about all of the unmanned drones he’s been firing – into places like Pakistan and Yemen?

TarheelBen on October 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Communists have never liked cowboys.

Travis1 on October 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

She says it as if it’s something bad, heh.

Schadenfreude on October 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Americans like cowboys, we don’t like the interpretive dancer that would constitute Barky’s version of the United States.

Bishop on October 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

What specifically is “Cowboy justice”

They never really pin that down, do they.

WisRich on October 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

The socialists won’t be happy until Russia has seized Europe and China has seized Japan….

These guys are playing the long game….

redguy on October 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

so how does an evil wallstreet offshoring prince suddenly become a cowboy?

sheeesh!

workingclass artist on October 22, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I like cowboy justice. I want to play cowboys and muslims. And after that, the cowboys ride off into the sunset.

Mirimichi on October 22, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Obama Foreign policy in one word: Anti-colonial Suboptimal.

Oil Can on October 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM

RINO in Name Only on October 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Cowboy justice would see you and your cronies tarred and feathered if not hung from the nearest tree. I can see what the idea scares you so bad you lying little witch.

MelonCollie on October 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM

She was and always will be full of sh_t.

COgirl on October 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

They’re desperate enough to bring Debbie Clowner back off the bench.

rbj on October 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

DWS: I’m saying I have no idea

Just say that every time, Deb. Especially when someone asks you about Obama’s kill list.

Doughboy on October 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Cowboys perform a vastly more worthwhile role in society than this Miss Piggy look-a-like.

And I’m pretty sure ‘cowboy justice’ is a racist dog whistle.

CorporatePiggy on October 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Please…oh please…just keep trotting this idiot out there.

Tim_CA on October 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

So if what the Petty Woman is saying is a reflection of what the Lie Candy is plannning for tonite’s debate,
Scheiffer will be debating Romney on Romney’s specifics about his foreign policy, right ?

burrata on October 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Bishop on October 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Indeed. Cowboys always wear the white hat. Obama is the salesman that sells snake oil. Remember what Josey Wales did his white suit.

Oil Can on October 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Cowboy Justice!!!!

INC on October 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Maybe Rev. Amerikkka needs to join Debbie on the trail

workingclass artist on October 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Can’t wait to see this blabbermouth hogtied. Yee-ha!

RobertMN on October 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

How many people around the world think it was ‘cowboy justice’–maybe a straight-up assassination–to have gotten bin Laden? Then, of course are the drone strikes.

What was the bombing of Libya–a friendly game of badminton that got out of hand?

And, how do you protect the US from terrorists without them knowing we’ll nail them first when we find them, and retaliate severely if they are successful in the slightest?

DWS is a joke who is her own punchline.

Liam on October 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

And Obama’s Cowgirl diplomacy is working so well.

crazy_legs on October 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

More like City Slicker Justice (TM). Watch tonight as Mitt hunts for Obama’s gold!

onetrickpony on October 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

What specifically is “Cowboy justice”

They never really pin that down, do they.

WisRich on October 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

It’s like everything the libs try to do. Boil everything down to a bumper-sticker slogan.

Bitter Clinger on October 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

The same Dimocrat talking point was used on CNN earlier today by a former female governor of Michigan whose name I don’t recall. She didn’t like cowboys one bit just like DWS. It’s just a new talking point.

Travis1 on October 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I mean seriously… painting Mitt as a cowboy is just laughable.

onetrickpony on October 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Oh, I think I get it.

Obama Justice= 9/11 is a crime to be fought in the courts. Or said another way, “let’s not go crazy, it was only 3,000 people who died”.

Cowboy Justice = 9/11 was an act of war and we’re going to treat it as such.

WisRich on October 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I’m confused. If you’re a leftist – and you think “cowboy” justice is a bad thing – then how do you support flying a SEAL team into Pakistan and killing an unarmed bin Laden, without a trial? How do you justify the killing and collateral damage done by these unmanned drones? I’m not complaining about bin Laden’s death or the drones – just trying to figure out how this works and is all justified in the leftist mind.

TarheelBen on October 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Debbie, what do you mean by taking us to war in Iran? Better check with Joe Bite Me as he thinks we already have troops serving in Iran and Harry Reid raised his hnad saying he knows soldiers that have or are serving there.
TWO of the biggest reasons Obama WILL lose, Wasserman and Cutter, because Obama has not the balls to tame them and they just blabber on and on and on. I am so happy they represent the Liberals, so very happy.
Uninstalling Obama……… █████████████▒▒▒ 90% complete.

j bo on October 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Happy Nomad on October 22, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Gotta include that noted Guam-tipping specialist Hank Johnson on that mission.

Bitter Clinger on October 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM

TarheelBen on October 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Be careful. That’s a trip you might not want to take.

Bitter Clinger on October 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Wow! The Dems campaign is so pathetic and breft of ideas, they are actually back to blaming Bush and fighting Bush! Hey Morons, there’s no Bush on the Ticket! How sad and desperately childish, to stand in front of microphones and Be-Clown yourself in this manner. Not that Little Debbie’s not used to looking like an Idiot Clown, but how embarrassing!
Update on:How to take on the Obama jihadi media: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Hooray! They let DWS talk again!

batter on October 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM

If he sends them to Guam, won’t it tip over from the population increase and all that different kind of hot air.

j bo on October 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM

As I remember, all of our enemies we afraid of that
“crazy old cowboy” we used to have as president back in the 1980s. Especially Khadifi, we received a cruise missle in his bedroon, special delivery.

According to Amb. Bolton, Rommney wants to return to “Peace Through Strength”… and that’s fine with me.

kingsjester on October 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM

This obsession not to be W really paid off in Libya.

Ben Hur on October 22, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Lets if I got the logic right:

Cowboy justice = Bad

Romney = Cowboy justice

Obama foreign policy Romney foreign policy

therefore:

Obama foreign policy = Cowboy justice

BobMbx on October 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

What specifically is “Cowboy justice”

They never really pin that down, do they.

WisRich on October 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

It’s a dog whistle for their base,
which really just means ……..wait for it …….
BOOOOOSH :O

burrata on October 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Someone should drag DWS the wet poodle into the local Supercuts…

I will trust President Romney’s judgement on foreign policy issues, thank you very much…

Khun Joe on October 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Be careful. That’s a trip you might not want to take.

Bitter Clinger on October 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Hehe. Yeah, I don’t really want to go very deep into that rabbit hole. Maybe some of our resident lefties – libfreeordie, gumby – could ‘splain this to me.

TarheelBen on October 22, 2012 at 3:02 PM

What an utterly revolting, stomach-turning, cretinous, reprehensible prevaricating tool. And I like DWS even less.

Midas on October 22, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Would do I thank for putting DWS back out in the public eye?

Because THANK YOU, T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U!!!!!!

jukin3 on October 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Here is some real Cowboy justice. Frank Eaton, a/k/a “Pistol Pete, the Oklahoma State University mascot:

Avenging your Father’s murder

OhEssYouCowboys on October 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM

What specifically is “Cowboy justice”

They never really pin that down, do they.

WisRich on October 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Bitter Clinger on October 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Ronald Reagan is still in their OODA loop.

Those who are old enough to remember the Reagan years in the 1980s can recall the names given to the Reagan foreign policy. In the heat of the Cold War, President Reagan, unaware that the microphone in front of him was hot, leaned into it and jokingly said, “My fellow Americans, I have just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes”. This was the beginning of what Reagan’s opponents called “cowboy diplomacy”.

It’s an epithet of the Left. They considered it a huge insult. The rest of American cheered.

DWS was confused and used the word justice instead of diplomacy.

INC on October 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I mean seriously… painting Mitt as a cowboy is just laughable.

onetrickpony on October 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Unless the fact that one’s wife owns a horse makes one a cowboy.

Lily on October 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM

j bo on October 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Too bad about your computer problem. Good thing you are uninstalling your bug. I like that.

Mirimichi on October 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Lets if I got the logic right:

Cowboy justice = Bad

Romney = Cowboy justice

Obama foreign policy Romney foreign policy

therefore:

Obama foreign policy = Cowboy justice

BobMbx on October 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Truthfully, I just think DWS was babbling incoherently.

Kind of her default setting.

Bitter Clinger on October 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Cowboy Justice or Americans as Targets… hmmmm… decisions, decisions…

Say, on the ‘Cowboy Justice’ bit can we start shooting back? Defend our Embassies? You know, actually protect ourselves?

ajacksonian on October 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM

j bo on October 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM

LOL! Oldschool techie ASCII humor…I love it. I have a whole booklet that is nothing but 1-line “smilies” for every emotion imaginable, imitating famous people, you name it.

MelonCollie on October 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM

TarheelBen on October 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM

kid: “Do not try and understand the leftist mind; that’s impossible. Instead… only try to realize the truth.”

Neo: “What truth?”

kid” “There is no leftist mind.”

Midas on October 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I see where they are going tonight. Cowboy Justice and the article from the NYT saying Bush is going to over shadow the foreign policy debate tonight… You would almost think this was coordinated…

sandee on October 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Big Bird
Binders
Cowboy Justice

The hilarious desperation of a campaign in its death throes.

mudskipper on October 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I cringe at the thought of listening to her!

LeftCoastRight on October 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Listening to her talk is like talking face to face with someone who has really bad breath. You can’t help but cringe and turn away.

Her face… her hair… the sound of her voice… all remind me of bad breath. She is the equivalent of a case of chronic halitosis.

UltimateBob on October 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Axion on October 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Concur. Whenever I hear a commie us the word “justice” with ANY word preceding it I call BS, but I FINALLY found one I like! Cowboy Justice…Somewhere, Clint Eastwood is smiling…LOL

Strike Hornet on October 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I love the way Democrats use the word “cowboy” as an insult. In their left wing circles they really believe a cowboy is worthy of contempt. Please, please keep this up. Most Americans hold cowboys in high esteem and revere our western heritage.

grgeil on October 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM

The thing is, Obama is so out-of-touch with normal Americans, he doesn’t understand that Americans want good old-fashioned “Cowboy Justice, when it comes to dealing with our enemies.

kingsjester on October 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Well, maybe Obama can recite some cowboy poetry tonight. Courtesy of Harry Reid.

Mirimichi on October 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Well that there cynches it. I was going to sit this one out but debs done made up my mind. I’m votin fer the cowboy!

chicken thief on October 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Debbie, don’t let your justice grow up to be cowboy

spiritof61 on October 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are, it seems…

Mr. Eastwodd’s speech was the turning point,

kingsjester on October 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM

You mean like engaging a foreign power in military strikes for months without even bothering for Congressional approval?

Yeah… that would be terrible.

Thank Goodness Obama’s plan in Libya was going to be “days not weeks” and only took… um…

March 19 – French, British and American military forces begin the first phase of Operation Odyssey Dawn, aimed at enforcing the no-fly zone.

August 21 – NATO announces the Gadhafi regime is “crumbling” and that the international community stands ready to assist the rebels establish a new government.

08/21/11 – 03/19/11 = 155 (Hey, my database program calls that a valid equation)

So “days not weeks” is only 155 days. Or a bit over 22 weeks. Or approximately 5 months.

Thank goodness it wasn’t going to take “weeks” or we’d still be there.

Yeah, cowboy justice ignoring Congress for 5 months of military attacks on a foreign nation… Romney might do that… but Obama wouldn’t do that… again… unless the UN asked him to do it again.

Because the UN request can override the US Constitution regarding what rules affect when and how we go to war… I guess.

I’d question that, but Obama is a “Constitutional Law Scholar” so I’m guessing he knows why that works, and why 155 days isn’t “weeks”… I don’t understand this stuff.

gekkobear on October 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM

He has done a lot of bellicose chest-thumping…

A real fun moment slipped right by Chuck Todd, when he could have made the next question to DWS simply this:

Define bellicose.

pilamaye on October 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Big Bird Takes Libya!

Hurls Binders at Jihadists!

Operation Romnesia!

What a laughingstock bunch of losers this Administration has nakedly become.

profitsbeard on October 22, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Only thing that is not clear is this Fn Fools mind.

Wade on October 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Gibbsy coined that term on CNN one Sunday

cmsinaz on October 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM

The Democrats are drowning on dry land.

thatsafactjack on October 22, 2012 at 3:20 PM

She really isn’t that good at her job is she? She is simply awful at doing interviews. Right off the bat she is unlikable but then gets tripped almost every time she opens her mouth. They will fire her right after the election.

echosyst on October 22, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I think you could call her husband a cowboy.

RadClown on October 22, 2012 at 3:25 PM

So, she wants 4 more years of iPod diplomacy?

Dexter_Alarius on October 22, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I think you could call her husband a cowboypoke.

RadClown on October 22, 2012 at 3:25 PM

What you meant.

Dexter_Alarius on October 22, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Bitter Clinger on October 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM

So’s the clap.

Thomas More on October 22, 2012 at 3:29 PM

echosyst on October 22, 2012 at 3:23 PM

She was hand-picked by 0bama. What do you expect?

UltimateBob on October 22, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I think you could call her husband a cowboy.

RadClown on October 22, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I see what you did there.

UltimateBob on October 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I love cowboys :-)

Another good reason to Support Mitt.

antisocial on October 22, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I am so tired of her (lisp). Got to give her credit, they send her out for a beating and she gives herself a beating.

StevC on October 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I get it!!

Any differences between Romney’s foreign policy and Obama’s is “cowboy justice” or “bellicose chest thumping”.

Do examples include not bowing to the Saudi King, or the Emperor of Japan? Romney criticized both of those events. More importantly though, he has also criticized the Obama attempt to distance America from it’s alliances with Poland, Japan and Israel.

Just more bellicose chest thumping, Debbie?

MTF on October 22, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I like cowboy justice! I tell you this, what Bush did was NOT cowboy justice. Cowboy justice is cheap and fast, not this expensive, nation building, culturally sensitive, compassionate nonsense that Bush did and Obama is doing right now.

William Eaton on October 22, 2012 at 3:44 PM

We know what Obama will do in his next term, because he’s laid it out so clearly…right?

Highlights from the 2012 Obama campaign:

Romney was a school bully one day 50 yrs ago!
He was a vampire capitalist!
He put his dog on his car roof!
He won’t give women tax-funded birth control!
He’s never paid his taxes!
He murdered a woman with cancer!
His wife who never worked a day in her life!
He is going to put you back in chains!
He wants to kill Big Bird!
He had a binder full of women’s resumes!

Candidate Obama in 2008:

When you don’t have a record to run on, you just make your opponent someone to run from. You make the election about small things.

itsnotaboutme on October 22, 2012 at 3:45 PM

The banner at the end says — Romney up by 1 pt in FL
(using CNN data of course)

Thats a joke–

Rasmussen has Super Mitt +5….
Even FOX- who has been laying back – has Mitt +3….

No Sunshine state for Hopey this time.

FlaMurph on October 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM