Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:31 am on October 21, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Time once again to cheer for your favorite Presidential gaffe this week!  This poll is as big as anyone’s, I’d guess, but not so big as to tax our attention spans.  Just remember in these last few days that we can’t always rely on others to provide the answers — sometimes, we can only rely on Us to provide them.

Previous weekly “winners” in 2012:

Previous Obamateurisms of the Year:

• Giving 2 minutes of “shout-outs” before getting to the Fort Hood shooting (2009)
  • Obama leaves Clinton at press conference podium on tax deal to attend Christmas party (2010)
  • “I would put our legislative and foreign policy accomplishments in our first two years against any president— with the possible exceptions of Johnson, F.D.R., and Lincoln.” (2011)

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Comments

went with #3

dude can’t handle a serious question

cmsinaz on October 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM

US Magazine – the incredibly shrinking President.

PatMac on October 21, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I’m going with Pension Envy.

Flange on October 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Went with the planned parenthood lie about breast screening because I wish Mitt had jumped on that statement and told the truth to everybody watching.

CitizenEgg on October 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM

This week was a weaker field than others. Finally went with the refusing to talk to reporters about Benghazi, but plenty of time for Us magazine. Kind of epitomizes the downgrading of the Presidency by Jugears into an iconic social function.

AZfederalist on October 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM

The comments on the Daily Show should have some attention for this sort of stuff I think. Mrs. Smith thinks so.

The mother of one of four Americans killed in the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya lashed out at President Barack Obama on Friday for saying the attack was “not optimal.”

“My son is not very optimal. He is also very dead,” Patricia Smith, 72, the mother of Sean Smith, told the Daily Mail. “It was a disrespectful thing to say, and I don’t think it’s right.

“How can you say somebody being killed is not very optimal? I don’t think the President has the right idea of the English language,” she said.

hawkdriver on October 21, 2012 at 9:37 AM

CitizenEgg on October 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Isn’t breast screening part of the Foreign Affairs debate? Or was that just during the Clinton Administration?

PatMac on October 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I also went with #3. Heaven forbid he should have to actually answer for his screw-ups. It’s better to avail himself to fawning celebrity-chasing media organizations (Us magazine, ET, Letterman, etc.).

Moose Drool on October 21, 2012 at 9:39 AM

US Magazine. The presidency is for sale at $2.99 at your nearest supermarket checkout.

Replace the Disgrace 2012.

Naturally Curly on October 21, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Bindergate.

fogw on October 21, 2012 at 9:41 AM

As fun as this feature is, I do look forward to it being retired in a few months.

PerceptorII on October 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Us magazine

SparkPlug on October 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Us! Magazine.

He chooses Us! over US.

ted c on October 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM

He thought Romney said “penis”

myiq2xu on October 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM

”There are millions of women all across the country who rely on Planned Parenthood for mammograms …”

I think some words were left out of that quote. It should have been:

“There are millions of women all across the country who rely on Planned Parenthood to give them the address of healthcare providers that actually have mammogram machines and can perform mammograms, since that is a service which Planned Parenthood clinics do not provide. Planned Parenthood’s primary business is providing abortions.”

AZCoyote on October 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I’m going with Pension Envy.

Flange on October 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I chose that one also. Turns out there was no reason to be envious, since his pension is bigger than anything Romney has set up. What a moron.

Night Owl on October 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Social security…. He doesn’t even look at his social security…. How do we trust him to look at nation’s economy.

antisocial on October 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I was torn between the two insults to the press, finally went with the US magazine interview. If the press doesn’t mind being treated piece on the side, why should I feel sorry for them?

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM

#3 by a landslide because four Americans are dead and TFGRP would rather talk about his underwear preference. Ahole.

Bishop on October 21, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Refuses to talk to reporters about Benghazi, but grants interview to Us Magazine…

…and to TV celebrities and comedians John Stewart and David Letterman.

farsighted on October 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I know this is a prime example of l’esprit de l’escalier but after the pension remark, Romney should have said something like “give it some time, Mr. President. Starting this January you’ll have the next 40 years for 6-figure speaking engagements and a few more autobiographies to sell. I’m sure you’ll catch up.”

That would have put Obama in his place and probably won Romney the election right there.

LeBron on October 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I also wonder about the fact that Obama isn’t campaigning for any of the down-ticket dems, and that he hasn’t shared any of his funds raised with them. It’s a wonder anyone is stumping for him at all. He made it plain he doesn’t care about anyone’s situation but his own. That would be a big story if it was a Republican treating his party that way.

Night Owl on October 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

You can’t go wrong voting with anything that has to do about Benghazi!

hutch1200 on October 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

hawkdriver on October 21, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I have to agree. What happened to “not optimal” ?

dont taze me bro on October 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I’m going with @Flange; pension envy. It’s not often we hear a guy admit that the other guy’s anything is bigger than his.

srdem65 on October 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

That would be a big story if it was a Republican treating his party that way.

Night Owl on October 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

you’re not kidding

cmsinaz on October 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM

correct me if i’m wrong, but I don’t think ‘not optimal’ was an OOTD last week, that’s why it’s not listed here….

cmsinaz on October 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Pension. It’s probably not the only thing that’s not as big.

Kissmygrits on October 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Us magazine. Letterman. The View. Daily Show. Glamour. Vanity Fair. People. ESPN. Entertainment Tonight.

White House Press Corps?

scalleywag on October 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Night Owl on October 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I don’t think Romney has a “pension” per se. He has investments that will continue to reap taxable income. Obama is eligible for at least two pensions; from his time as Illinois legislator (even if he only voted “present”) and as former Preezy of the United Steezy (starting this January, God willing) So, Obama lied again. What a shock.

SKYFOX on October 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Night Owl on October 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

It may be a chicken/egg thing, a lot of Congress ran away from him before the convention. Which may have had something to do with his announcement early on not to share revenue. The man may not have a big pension(please) but if he can live off of that ego, he is set for life.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2012 at 10:11 AM

SKYFOX on October 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

You’re right. That’s what I meant but I was too lazy to go into as much detail as you did! Romney isn’t receiving anything that the public has to cough up the money for, whereas Obama has nothing that ISN’T funded by the public.

Night Owl on October 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

…oh please!…it’s the first one!…if the press had done it’s job since 2008…THIS would be a daily feature for every news organization!…Not only have the MSM been in bed with JugEars the whole time…they wash the “after-sex” off every day while Herkel is laying there!

KOOLAID2 on October 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I’m going with Pension Envy.

Flange on October 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Well put. My choice as well.

backwoods conservative on October 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I went with the pension remark. HE may not look at his pension, but WE see our 401(k) and IRAs and they’re still not back up to par.

He may not have to worry about the price of groceries or gas, but we do.

That and I think that he’s full o crap about not looking at it. Isn’t his bigger than Mitt’s, or if not, a decent size as pensions go?

Gettycorn on October 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM

KOOLAID2 on October 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

You are just an old crank who has forgotten what true love is!! //////

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM

US Magazine – the incredibly shrinking President.

PatMac on October 21, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I’m still waiting for the hard-hitting no-stone-unturned interview he will give with Radio Disney.

pilamaye on October 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM

“I don’t look at my pension. It’s not as big as yours….”

There is another “P” word I could oh so easily substitute “pension” for here to give this statement all new meaning, but this is a family-oriented website, so I won’t go there.

As for anyone else who WOULD go there……….

pilamaye on October 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM

pilamaye on October 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM

He’d do that before he’d meet with White House Correspondents. NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CNN, what do they even need WH correspondents for when we have a president who’d rather call himself “eye candy” and gaggle with the hens on the View?

scalleywag on October 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM

You know, that would be a great question for Romney to ask…Hey Mr. President, when was the last time you met with the White House Correspondents and had a nice discussion with them about your foreign policy? Don’t you think American citizens would like to know just what your foreign policy is? Do you even have one?

scalleywag on October 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

#3

Bmore on October 21, 2012 at 10:26 AM

scalleywag on October 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I’m confident we aren’t the only ones noticing this cowardice. Try as they might, the media can’t hide all the truth.

SKYFOX on October 21, 2012 at 10:27 AM

pilamaye on October 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Will it be heard outside of the Magic Kingdom?

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM

hawkdriver on October 21, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I have to agree. What happened to “not optimal” ?

dont taze me bro on October 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

This “not optimal” remark should be getting far, far more attention than it is throughout the media. I don’t care if it doesn’t make the Obamateurism feature, because the remark indicates that Obama is not a mere amateur, but a frightening sociopath.

He doesn’t care about four lost lives; they’re just an unwanted subtraction from his political calculations. It’s no surpise that he thinks that way, since socialists are fond of saying that you have to break eggs to make an omelet – that is, some lives are to be sacrificed without remorse to benfit the ruling class.

Those four lives were lost, but they don’t benefit the ruling class. From Obama’s ice-cold perspective, that is called “not optimal.”

86 on October 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM

hmmmmmmm.

Boobies or pensions?

tough this week.

Tim_CA on October 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Where was his out-of-bounds “transcript” exchange with the Crow during the debate?

stukinIL4now on October 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM

cmsinaz on October 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM
stukinIL4now on October 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I was looking for the “optimal” remark also.

If the Dems give him a pass on that for rhetorical license or whatever, for considering context, then the context of the Rose Garden speech is admissible.

Then he can explain what he was thinking, if anything.

When he had time to think.

IlikedAUH2O on October 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I went with #3 as well, coward just kept walking away as if he hadn’t heard the? . Typical of the SCOMAF. He might as well have put his fingers in his oversized ears and said nah nah, I can’t hear you like a third grader.

D-fusit on October 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM

- Attention span: well, it’s true, at least for the MSM.
- Cheerleader: Just plain dumb.
- Us magazine: proves his campaign strategy is to simply run out the clock.
- Mammograms: Yet another bald-faced lie; he assumes voters are to dumb to check.
- Pension: actually, it was a pretty funny line (even tho it wasn’t true).
None were really Obamatuerisms, but I went with Us, since it highlights his utter wimpiness.

KS Rex on October 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM

It was between the ta-tas and running away from the media. I took running away from the media. Barry can’t hide from the stench of Benghazi. It will be the end of the shrinking president.

Philly on October 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Pension. It’s probably not the only thing that’s not as big.

Kissmygrits on October 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Shrinkage. obambi’s only boast about having the bigger or biggest one – ego.

VegasRick on October 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Liz Trotta says the administration is sticking to their script on Benghazi. Unfortunately, they keep changing their story. These guys can’t even cover their butts in a competent way.

Philly on October 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Went with number 3. Obama’s strategy is to pander to the young, uninformed voter that gets all of their “news” from celebrity magazines and comedy shows. That voter is out of touch with the reality and responsibilities of being an adult. The nanny state will provide them with all that they need.

Pazman on October 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I have to agree. What happened to “not optimal” ?

dont taze me bro on October 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

..I think it rolls in next week..kinda like the Gallup 7-day moving average.

The War Planner on October 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM

The dude is so clueless, that I can’t really consider any of these actually amateurish.
Just a part of him.

pambi on October 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM

86 on October 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Isn’t it odd that “not optimal” was overlooked, but that “binders” has created so much attention?

Pazman on October 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Geebus, I really cannot stand this tool anymore. Everything out of his lying mouth is an Obamateurism. November can’t get here fast enough.

Thomas More on October 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Did you guys see this?

EXPLOSIVE BREAKING NEWS: Mitt Romney’s Maid Is DISHING DIRT . . . And If What She’s Saying IS TRUE . . . It May Be A WRAP For The Campaign!!!

October 21, 2012: MediaTakeOut.com just spoke with someone IN THE KNOW . . . and the word is that one of WILLARD’S ex-maids is snitching on him.

And the streets say that she’s about to disclose some . . . err . . . INTERACTION she had with that FRAUD Romney.

Now for about 99% of the Republicans, they’d vote for him if he was a member of Al Quaida. But for the INDEPENDENT VOTERS . . . especially WOMEN voters, we doubt they’re gonna feel good about putting THAT KIND OF MAN in the White House.

Expect news to drop as early as TOMORROW. And when it does, don’t forget that you heard it here first on MediaTakeOut.com

SoulGlo on October 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Then there’s discussing serious foreign policy issues on a funny (so they say)man’s TV show.

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM

They’re all good, but for my money, the Planned Parenthood gaffe was the best. Shows you how little he care about the subject. All he cares about is the fact that they are a leftist organization that pays for campaigns & they’re an abortion provider. Obama has absolutely no clue and doesn’t want one. It may interrupt his golf game!
Update on:How to take on the Obama Enemy media & Win: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 21, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Went with the pension for a number of reasons.
Obama looked so far out of his league when he couldn’t/wouldn’t talk about his pension. His feeble attempt at class warfare fell far short, and it was just another moment for Romney to school the jug-eared idiot in basic finance and economics. Old Preezy was in way over his head – and it showed.

Hill60 on October 21, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Benghazi? Is that some new energy drink? A back rub? I seem to have vaguely heard of it. But let’s talk about binders…” Obama said to the US magazine flack.

profitsbeard on October 21, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I’m surprised the “I called the incident in Benghazi and act of terror the next day in the Rose Garden” wasn’t on the list.

John the Libertarian on October 21, 2012 at 2:20 PM

As far as Obamateurisms go, these are pretty tame unfortunately: I am disappointed for the man is capable of worse…much worse.

Sherman1864 on October 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I went with the mammogram cause that one shows he has no clue and just repeats what he hears from the lying women in the media.

Jvette on October 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM

AZfederalist is right (way up top):

It’s as if the One views himself as American Royalty. He’s wrong. Royalty can’t be voted out.

wb-33777 on October 21, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I went with pension, and I agree with:

KS Rex on October 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM
- Pension: actually, it was a pretty funny line (even tho it wasn’t true).

I am incredibly tired of having someone in the office of President of the US who embarrasses or angers me at every turn. I pray that BHO is un-elected on November and disappears come January.

Kevin K. on October 21, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Just saw Jeremiah Wright in C terminal at O’Hare. Unfortunately he seemed to be returning to Chitown, albeit not too happy looking.

Nutstuyu on October 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM

figured the mammograms would win, but I voted for Benghazi. The mammograms is not an Obamateurism unless we are just picking out the LIES that Owe has told. He KNOWS the truth; he simply choose to lie knowing that Crowley wouldn’t call him out and his supporters would like it.

katablog.com on October 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

SoulGlo on October 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM

collecting clicks troll?

katablog.com on October 21, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Refusing to talk to reporters is the least amateurish of the list. With this administration’s epic failures, talking to the “real” press can’t possibly help, so it’s the closest thing to smart that they’re doing to avoid it.

Not knowing the relative conditions of you and your opponent’s pensions in debate season, after making your opponent’s pension an issue, that’s just stupid.

Freelancer on October 21, 2012 at 8:48 PM