Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:01 am on October 21, 2012 by Allahpundit

Less than three weeks to go until E-Day, which means it’s time for the brightest star in the constellation of young Republican leaders to hit the three broadcast networks on Romney’s behalf. His home state’s already starting to topple into the GOP column. Hopefully this’ll be the last little push it needs.

If you’re watching Rubio, be sure at least to record Candy Crowley’s program. After Tuesday’s unpleasantness, the confrontation between her and Newt over the proper role of a debate moderator should be epic. The line-up via WaPo:

NBC’s Meet the Press: Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL); Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH); David Axelrod, chief Obama campaign strategist; Dee Dee Myers, Democratic strategist; Mike Murphy, Republican strategist; Tom Friedman, New York Times; Helene Cooper, New York Times

CBS’ Face the Nation: Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL); Kevin Madden, Romney senior adviser; Stephanie Cutter, Obama deputy campaign manager; Peggy Noonan, Wall Street Journal; David Sanger, New York Times; Joe Klein, Time; John Dickerson, CBS News and Slate

ABC’s This Week: Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel; Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL); Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL); Ralph Reed, Faith and Freedom Coalition; Van Jones, former Obama White House environmental adviser; Greta Van Susteren, Fox News; Matthew Dowd, political strategist

Fox News Sunday: Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL); Sen. Lindsay Graham (R-SC): Frank Newport, Gallup; Brit Hume, Fox News; William Kristol, The Weekly Standard; Juan Williams, Fox News; Liz Marlantes, Christian Science Monitor

CNN’s State of the Union with Candy Crowley: Newt Gingrich; former UN Ambassador Bill Richardson; Senator Mark Warner (D-VA); former congressman Tom Davis (R-VA); Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA); Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD); Dana Bash, CNN; Dan Balz, The Washington Post

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Gettycorn on October 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Crowley was actually a responsible journalist in the segment. Richardson trotted out the usual nonsense.

I thin Romney should go with a leadership/competency argument at the debate since the Regime appears to be set on the excuse that the “intelligence community” has been giving them contradictory information for 5 weeks and nobody (Obama) has gotten them together to straighten it out.

forest on October 21, 2012 at 9:48 AM

This is funny. Sandra Fluke campaigns in NV and draws only 10 people. Since it was at the Sak ‘N Save, I assume they were just customers.

Blake on October 21, 2012 at 8:36 AM

There was an unfortunate mix-up where apparently some customers thought she was giving out Pretzel Chips samples. Once the disappointed shoppers realized that wasn’t true, the ‘crowd’ quickly dispersed.

“Come back!” the famous young sex enthusiast and Obama supporter wailed at the vanishing backs of the Sak ‘N Save crowd, “don’t you want to hear about how much I spend on condoms in a week?!?”

cynccook on October 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I see what you’re saying, forest.

Also, I saw on Drudge that we had drones overhead in Bengazi, when it was learned what was going down. Drones, but no troops? This pisses me off.

Gettycorn on October 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM

The WAR ON WOMEN’S ‘PRIVATES’ is the theme for the next two weeks. That’s where they landed for their end game. MSM carrying that water.

Carnac on October 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Sorry NBC but anyone with a mind (sorry liberals that excludes you) thinks your bindergate conspiracy is a farce. When you are pulling ‘binders full of women’ out of the context that says he had the highest percentage of women on his cabinet, you have jumped the shark as a serious news show.

Bensonofben on October 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM

addendum: War on women is fought in the media for one more jobs report and then Whammo. Back above 8%. Whats say you now Obammmy?

Bensonofben on October 21, 2012 at 9:54 AM

cynccook on October 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM

LOL! Who decided the best use of such an asset was a grocery store in some town in Nevada?

Night Owl on October 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM

oooh breaking news, obama will be the first sitting president to turn in an early ballot…

cmsinaz on October 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Golly! He’s not going to wait to see how he does in the last debate before he makes his decision on which candidate to vote for?!?

db on October 21, 2012 at 9:56 AM

db on October 21, 2012 at 9:56 AM

heh :)

cmsinaz on October 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I watched MtP just long enough to catch Rubio’s segment. I am just sick to death of Dems worshipping at the altar of abortion! Have women really become so base that they spend their days wondering when the next random sex act is going to happen to them, and plotting where they can have the inconvenience scraped from their uterus? As a woman, I’m totally disgusted. I had my beautiful daughter, my only child, totally unplanned, when I was 19. Today she’s 22, a newly graduated and employed Physical Therapist. In all these years since, noboody, not my employers nor any shady evil male Republicans, have once attempted to obstruct my access to contraception, nor have I ever asked any one of them to pay for it!

Cornhusker on October 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

db on October 21, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Umm.. that’s odd that they aren’t doing the traditional photo op on election day.

Illinidiva on October 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Night Owl on October 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I’m surprised the Flukster even went to a supermarket parking lot after what went down in Tuscon. Then again, she can feel secure in knowing that there isn’t a single person in this country who’d be willing to do time in exchange for attempting to harm her.

Doughboy on October 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM

MTP
women women women…whats that benghazi you’re talking about?

cmsinaz on October 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Doughboy on October 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM

The leftists have very little to worry about in that regard, yet they are always feigning fear of what the TEA Party will do.

Night Owl on October 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Cornhusker, I think that most women in this country are insulted. Doubly so when we see the prices of milk and other essentials at the grocery. I, as a woman, am more than just me “lady bits”. Any thinking female should be insulted by the left’s implication that we’re nothing but a bunch of sleazy tarts who only think of sex. Because that’s really what they’re saying.

Gettycorn on October 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM

me likey rubio…ain’t going to take gregory’s crap

cmsinaz on October 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Rahm is floundering badly. For some reason Stephanoplus isn’t accepting the talking points that they agreed to prior to the interview.

And Rahm just said that our sanctions are causing Iran’s economy to contract- not grow. I think he meant Obama’s policies. (Romney should use this point tomorrow)

Bensonofben on October 21, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Marco Rubio and Baghdad Barbie on the same news show!

Is it too early to break out the popcorn?

pilamaye on October 21, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I’m really tired seeing elected officials going onto Real Time with Bill Maher, it serves no purpose whatsoever. They’re politicians, so they can’t fight back in any meaningful way.

Bill Maher invested a million dollars of his own money into reelecting President Obama. Why do any of them think he’s going to do anything except destroy them unfairly and despicably on every level while his audience of cheerleaders dutifully hoots and hollers at every “point” he makes while panning everything they say? Dumb. They have a better shot on MSNBC.

DeathtotheSwiss on October 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Night Owl on October 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Who benefits more from free contraception and paid for abortions than madams of brothels or pimps generally? Considerably reduces the cost of doing business.

For me, a married mom who works, degraded lifestyles lack appeal. As a vote getting tactic it is repellent. But then, these are the people who called me a teabagger. Now they want my vote. HA.

A commenter over at Big Government, Phmgra, was actually at the store in person and counted 1 constituent, 3 press, 6 Obama campaign workers and him/herself who showed up hoping to change some minds.

perries on October 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Just wait till the real binders story hit the airwaves! Binders were what the first brassieres were called way back when. Merge this with Joe Biden’s claim that Repubs want to “put you back in chains”. See the result? Repubs only want to chain Black Women! DWS will finish the story on Sunday Oct. 28 as the October Surprise for Teh Won.

Herb on October 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Rubio asked on NBC about Romney denying access to contraception. And Rubio never just said, “people can buy their own, they don’t need their employers to ‘give them access.’”

Why don’t our guys point this out?

happytobehere on October 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I am obligated to say that I thought Lindsey Graham did a very good job on Chris Wallace’ show. He knows what he’s talking about and he gets his facts in. (but Lord, is Durbin a crybaby? “Chris, you can play the tape anyway you want, but President Obama said ‘terrorism’, I heard it, it’s right there, he said it, it’s on tape, nah-nah-nah”)

BettyRuth on October 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Looks like DWS has her Halloween costume on early.

lhuffman34 on October 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

MTP

women women women…whats that benghazi you’re talking about?

cmsinaz on October 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM

In contrast, I’m in SW Ohio, and I have FNS with Wallace on between 10 and 11. Wallace led with Graham and Durbin on Benghazi. I think Wallace is actually p*ssed at the Obama administration over this because he went after Durbin about Obama’s response hammer and tong. Durbin seemed to leave the segment kind of whimpering.

BuckeyeSam on October 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Yeah huffman- DWS is going as Medusa this year?

Bensonofben on October 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM

BuckeyeSam on October 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM

looking forward to that…watching mtp right now

axlerod sounded pathetic and whining as well…couldn’t talk about obama, just turned every question bashing mitt….

cmsinaz on October 21, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Yeah huffman- DWS is going as Medusa this year?

Bensonofben on October 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM

If my curly hair looked like her curly hair I would shave my head and change my name. Ooof!

Naturally Curly on October 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Axelrod complained that Issa released documents from the Benghazi hearing with names of people in Libya that had been helping. How convenient that neither Ax or Gregory talked about the consulate being looted of sensitive documents and British weapons while it sat unguarded for 3 weeks before Obama got enough courage to send in the FBI.

GrannySunni on October 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM

3 dems to 1 gop on mtp round table…yeah

friedman…this libya attack has been totally polticized

cmsinaz on October 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM

happytobehere on October 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM

true conservatives know how, it comes out naturally. big government elitists llke rubio, believe government has to give us a helping hand. he’s a fake. remember when he pretended to be a tea partier?

renalin on October 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Yeah huffman- DWS is going as Medusa this year?

Bensonofben on October 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I took one look at her on This Week, and change the channel. I was worried that I’d turn to stone.

BuckeyeSam on October 21, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Deranged Wasserman Schultz.
New hairdo.
Still stupid or evil.

22044 on October 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Volunteer …
Donate to the campaign …
Talk to people …
Signs and bumper stickers …

(Great comment)

hawkdriver on October 21, 2012 at 9:07 AM

All of the above, but in particular, speak with your fellow citizens, especially the low info types. I have found, for my situation at least, speaking to them not necessarily as pro Romney but anti The 0 Economy™ pays big dividends. Pointing out the misery index works well and as to why we are there. Making sure they understand you/we all being capitalist who enjoy making money and providing for ourselves and our own seems to resonate well with them. Additionally to my more liberal counterparts I have been reminding them of Romney being a center left sort of fellow. Plenty liberal enough for them. It is working, we can count on many extra votes going fore RR when this is done. Get busy! Spend the next two weeks, not being passive, but engaging and thoughtful. The result may surprise you. People inherently want to do better for themselves.

Bmore on October 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM

db on October 21, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Thanks for the first hearty belly laugh of the day, db. That was good.

Cleombrotus on October 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM

AHHHHH…Dish rag hair lady is now Medusa Head….See This Week ABC Panel.

lonestarleeroy on October 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM

db on October 21, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Illinidiva on October 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

…oh no!…they’ll do THAT TOO!…by then more than 2 weeks will have passed and the MSM’s memory will have faded and JugEars will accommodate them…even picking up some homeless person to vote while limo-ing to the voting booth!

KOOLAID2 on October 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM

cynccook on October 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Night Owl on October 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Really. You would think they would have put her in CondomSense or New Fine Arts.

mrsmwp on October 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Amazing how ABC couldn’t keep the feed during Rubio’s responses! WTF

shov74 on October 21, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I didn’t see this but durbin compares death of 4 American’s to a football game? I must watch the re run of Wallace on this!

L

letget on October 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Yeah huffman- DWS is going as Medusa this year?

Bensonofben on October 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM

That was my exact thought too Ben! I was so distracted I couldn’t pay attention to the speakers. Kept waiting for the snakes to wake up and start wriggling….couldn’t stop staring at her head of snakes. Afraid I may have nightmares this week….must…stay…awake…..

LepusAngelicus on October 21, 2012 at 12:08 PM

cmsinaz on October 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM

db on October 21, 2012 at 9:56 AM

He cast that early ballot for Romney. He knows Romney’s the one for job creation, and he’s gonna need one very shortly.

msupertas on October 21, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Durbin seemed to leave the segment kind of whimpering.

BuckeyeSam on October 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Senator DumDum “whimpering?” Surely you jest . . . not!

polarglen on October 21, 2012 at 12:25 PM

happytobehere on October 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM

There is a huge difference between insurance companies extending the access and mandating it.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I have a theory, carefully developed over the past … 15 seconds or so … that the network libearls are going to pose as journalists for a few weeks, since more people are paying attention. Let’s see if it holds water:

NBC’s Meet the Press: R; R; D; D; R; D; D

CBS’ Face the Nation: R; R; D; R; D; D; D

ABC’s This Week: D; R; D; R; D; D; R

Fox News Sunday: D; R; D; R; R; D; D

CNN: R; D; D; R; R; D; D; D

Moderators: D; D; D; D; R

Full disclosure: I labeled Greta a D and Wallace an R. A wash.

Score:

D – 25
R – 16

Theory shot down quickly…the networks are just as partisan D as ever, and last week’s balance was a quirk of scheduling with no meaning. Journalism remains stone cold dead. If you see a journalist of any kind, b1tch slap them and know that you will have done America a favor.

Jaibones on October 21, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Durbin is a swine.

Most leftists are.

Apologies to the clean pigs.

Schadenfreude on October 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Jaibones on October 21, 2012 at 12:30 PM

They are both Ds.

Schadenfreude on October 21, 2012 at 12:43 PM

What was Turbin Durbin talking about? I mean other than whining like usual. What was that about a football game? Whatever, the moron meme is well in place. Now, let’s see who grows a pair and asks,:How did Obama know Cowley’s notes/debate prep better than she did? How did he know that Cowley had an obscure “Transcript” that Obama planned to use to cover for his Big Lie, to the American People? How,when & where did they meet, in order to collude against & try to catch Romney in a Game of Gotcha?
Update on:How to take on the Obama Enemy media & Win: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM

linsey gramham… …why is this clown still being allowed to speak?

renalin on October 21, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I’ll bet you don’t even realize what is wrong with your oh-so-fascist statement, do you?

You “trucons” are a joke.

Solaratov on October 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Watched Richardson on Candy Crowley’s show, and he used the word “cowboy”, ala George Bush, to describe Romney on foreign policy (because he made a statement about Cairo).

My predictions of media memes when Romeny wins:

Romney is a cowboy!
Unemployment over 5% is unforgivable!
The Patriot Act is bad again!
Romney is a Christianist!
We’re bombing “wedding parties” in Afghan again!

PattyJ on October 21, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Oooh! Oooh! Did Newt take it to Candy?

John the Libertarian on October 21, 2012 at 3:06 PM

They are both Ds.

Schadenfreude on October 21, 2012 at 12:43 PM

(Lost my comment…let me try again)

Schade: Agreed. But they are both completely non-partisan, imo. Very impressive journalists from a bias perspective.

Jaibones on October 21, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I can’t believe it… 16 days to go. And Romney is peaking at just the right time. Utter panic in Chicago.

Go Pats!

kevinkristy on October 21, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Sorry, AP, the Pats are still the jelly/jam in that PB&J and I’ve been watching from afar over these last years, formerly closer geographically.

btw, did ‘calm down, combover’ utter more nonsense (rhetorical)?

Why, yes, yes he did.

I, among everyone here at HA, am looking forward to the little efforts making a big difference. Still, why should we have to explain what is so obvious. I’ve done my bit for logical persuasion.

Coincidence. I watched the 7 part Bill Whittle this am from here in Katy/Houston TX. Pass it along.
Perfect.

All of it rings true.

Mr. Bill Whittle is an example of exceptionalism.

More and more, knocking out fallacy.

And, about this time, for this week, Go Pats!

mickytx on October 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

addendum.

Go Mitt!

No prisoners, er just be the upstanding person you are.

Are the gloves ‘off’?

Crush the lie that is Obama.

pohsib!

mickytx on October 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Jaibones on October 21, 2012 at 3:42 PM

True, very true.

Schadenfreude on October 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Looks like DWS has her Halloween costume on early.

lhuffman34 on October 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Medusa.

Scared me this morning. Ug.

CW on October 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM