When desperation strikes incumbents

posted at 8:31 am on October 20, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

It’s been a while since we’ve had an incumbent President lose an election.  In fact, it was 20 years ago, when George H. W. Bush lost in a three-way fight to Bill Clinton.  What made that election remarkable was that Bush had enjoyed some of the best-ever job approval ratings of any modern American President just a little over a year earlier, into the 80s — unthinkable these days for anyone, Republican or Democrat.  Bush, a decorated veteran of World War II and a longtime player in diplomacy and national security, lost the election to an upstart Governor when the economy turned somewhat sour.

I recall the moment when I realized for the first time — not feared, but realized — that Bush would lose the election.  Bush was campaigning in Michigan at the end of October, trying to whip some energy back into his campaign in the home stretch, a task that would fall far short just a few days later.  Then-Governor John Engler told the Warren, MI crowd that the Bush campaign was “hot” and the Democrats “dead in the water,” which was merely the kind of fantasy all campaigns spin toward the end.

Bush then spoke, and went after Clinton and Al Gore in a personal, demeaning way I’d not heard from the President before then:

At a midday GOP rally at Macomb Community College, the president unleashed a rhetorical fusillade on Bill Clinton and running mate Sen. Albert Gore Jr., attacking their fitness for office, their character and charging, “My dog Millie knows more about foreign policy than these two bozos.”

In particular, Bush targeted Gore, whom he now calls “Ozone Man,” or just plain “Ozone.” “You know why I call him Ozone Man?” Bush said. “This guy is so far out in the environmental extreme, we’ll be up to our neck in owls and outta work for every American. He is way out, far out, man.”

When I heard that, I thought to myself, “What President talks like that?”  Part of the advantage the office gives an incumbent is its gravitas.  Bush’s own history as a diplomat, intelligence executive, and war hero gave him plenty more of that.  Bush abandoned that in the final week in schoolyard name-calling. That’s not why Bush lost the election, of course.  It was, however, the moment that I knew he’d lost it — and was pretty sure he knew he was losing, too.

Keep that in mind when you hear Barack Obama on the stump talking about “Romnesia.”  Those elementary-school attacks using people’s names are something one usually farms out to surrogates (and is pretty lame regardless).  That comes with the grasping of “binders,” literally grasping in Joe Biden’s case (and literally literally, not Bidenesque “literally”), as a major campaign theme. When the President himself starts using attacks like this, it speaks to his desperation more than his opponent’s positions.  It adds more heft to the argument that the first debate wasn’t a fluke, but demonstrated an actual gap in presidential stature between the two men.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

May it be so. Vote.

txmomof6 on October 20, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Barry’s an inexperienced street punk, and it shows. No surprise. What a disaster. His election was all about what he represented, not who he was; all about what he said he was going to do, not what he actually did. It is now.

RobertMN on October 20, 2012 at 8:35 AM

…when George H. W. Bush lost in a three-way fight to Bill Clinton.

And, it wasn’t Clinton’s first three-way either!

/rimshot

massrighty on October 20, 2012 at 8:37 AM

First.

Indeed the current president has lost it. That is, if he ever had it. Unchallenged juvenile-minded people can act more mature, but once they have been revealed, it’s all over.

digitalhap on October 20, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Missed it by that much!

digitalhap on October 20, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Since when has Obama ever acted presidential? The answer is never.

ButterflyDragon on October 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM

When I heard that, I thought to myself, “What President talks like that?” Part of the advantage the office gives an incumbent is its gravitas.

As if the left cares about such things.

rob verdi on October 20, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I’m still waiting for the other shoe to drop in the form of a last-minute, not-enough-time-to-refute, over-the-top November surprise courtesy of Gloria Allred. And when it does drop, I suspect it will land with a thud on the Obama campaign’s collective foot.

ManlyRash on October 20, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I can tell you from Green Bay, WI that all the excitement is leaning Romney.

The Dems at work are very somber at this point.

kaanan on October 20, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I love me some optimistic Ed in the morning; Starts my day out right!

BettyRuth on October 20, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Obama went out and hired T-Paw’s “Obamneycare” guy

Slade73 on October 20, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Sorry Ed but I remember it a little differently. It was not exactly that the economy turned sour, which it did, but Bush I made a central point as part of his run for President of `No new taxes!`. By the end of his first term he was cajoled by the Dims to have new taxes. Which ironically became a secondary theme that Clinton used against him.

That same meme is playing out about the Benghazi Rout. Last two weeks the lies are dripping like acid through what is left of Obama’s reelection. Americans can put with a lot of !@#$% but don’t lie to us. That is the fastest way known to lose an election.

Dr. Dog on October 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM

ManlyRash on October 20, 2012 at 8:39 A

I’ve heard a few people refer to this Gloria Allred thing- is it supposed to be some bimbo that’s going to accuse Romney of sexual harassment?

BettyRuth on October 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I think Scooter got his terms confused. For example: If you refer to the murder of four Americans by Muslim Terrorists as “not optimal”…that’s not Rhomnesia. That’s an Obamanation.

kingsjester on October 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Mud slinging,rabble rousing bully,

j.p.hammerhead on October 20, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Well said, Ed. Let me just add that when you have the pundits supporting Obama inviting Romney’s son to fisticuffs, or shrieking that it is unconsitutional for Romney to challenge what Obama says in a debate, you know it’s not just Obama, but also his supporters who see the likelihood of a loss.

radjah shelduck on October 20, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Yes. My libs “friends” on Facebook have become very grouchy. The Romnesia and Binder thing has energized them in a frantic, silly way. I hope Ronmey has it – but, like Glenn Reynolds says, “Don’t get cocky.”

djl130 on October 20, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I don’t think you’re hitting on desperation, Ed. I think you’re hitting on the way Obama normally speaks. Remember “I won”?

FYI (and for others as well), Gallup has an article that’s a few days old now, but shows why Obama can be leading Romney in the swing states even while Romney has a sizable lead in their poll overall (without a doubt, Romney’s best showing among the national polls). If you scroll down to the crosstabs, consider the regional breakdown of net preferences for Obama:

East: +4
Midwest: +4
South: -22
West: +6

The Republicans typically win elections by securing the South and the Midwest. They haven’t done the latter yet. Additionally, the RCP No-Tossups Map shows where I think the race actually is now: Obama 277, Romney 261 (the raw map shows a Romney edge, although Obama leads in many of the swing states).

So if you’re a Romney guy (which I’m not, go Virgil Goode!), the question is which state(s) you need to flip. Most media attention has focused on Ohio, but it seems like an elusive prize. The state got the auto-bailout and voted down a union-busting measure. Compare that with Wisconsin, where the GOP won both a recall election and judicial election, and that seems like it should be the more fertile territory. I suspect that the reason the GOP is preoccupied with Ohio is that its electoral vote count would provide some insurance against losing a smaller state that’s currently leaning towards them (e.g. Colorado).

Stoic Patriot on October 20, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I’d feel a little better if a few polls come out saying Romney is ahead in Ohio. I’m still incredibly nervous that he might win reelection!

mrscullen on October 20, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Imagine if McCain had actually TRIED TO WIN?

We wouldn’t have had the last four years of a crappy economy and the Middle East wouldn’t be headed to a Caliphate.

Oh well. I voted for Romney in 2008 primary when it was down to Huckleberry Mike and the bitter RINO sellout Media pole dancer McCain. I have no regret for my vote. I tried Mitt.

PappyD61 on October 20, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Obama has never represented any thing only resented Americas’ greatness.

tim c on October 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM

ManlyRash on October 20, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I suspect she will trot out a disgruntled binder woman.

Brat on October 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Well, gee, who would have thought it would come to this. We all did, probably. Biden has been in desperate, ugly mode since he went on the trail. Whoever thought it was a good idea to let that loud mouth buffoon loose should have been fired from the campaign, but maybe it was the Oaf in chief himself. Then they had Cutter and Wasserman spewing all kinds of hateful things and lies. Didn’t they pretty much start this campaign by claiming Romney was responsible for a woman dying? They’re in the exact spot they need to be in and they did it all to themselves. This is proof that if you want to run a winning campaign, don’t invite Axelrod to the party.

scalleywag on October 20, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Most of what Obama said in the debate amounted to half truths or what sounded like junior high school yard taunts, e.g. “your pension is bigger than mine.” He is a lightweight at best and has succumbed to buffoonery by chasing binders and Big Bird. I hope those in battleground states that are not enamored with Romney but hate all that Obama stands for will go to the polls and vote this threat against all this great country stands out of office so he can take his sorry behind back to Chicago or Hawaii where he belongs.

PA-Cman on October 20, 2012 at 8:49 AM

BettyRuth on October 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Possibly. It would certainly fit neatly into the “women in binders” meme, wouldn’t it? Or, possibly, Allred will trot out a former housekeeper who was cruelly abused and badly underpaid – that would also fit neatly into the binder meme.

Either way, expect it to be exquisitely timed with a press conference held on the weekend before the election

ManlyRash on October 20, 2012 at 8:49 AM

While some parallels can be drawn, GHWB’s defeat was a bit of an anomaly and outlier. Billy Jeff only got 42% of the popular vote.

A better parallel is Jimmah’s defeat.

farsighted on October 20, 2012 at 8:51 AM

To a certain extent I agree with you, Ed, but Obama has always done the work his surrogates should have been doing (Republicans in the back seat; they’re our enemy; using millionaires & billionaires as a pejorative; police acted stupidly; fat cat bankers, etc).

While I do agree the campaign is desperate, I’ll save my enthusiasm until after the election.

VibrioCocci on October 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Since when has Obama ever acted presidential? The answer is never.

ButterflyDragon on October 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM

1. Muffed his oath of office
2. The opening line of his inaugural address contained an inacurate statement.

Downhill from there…

massrighty on October 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I suspect she will trot out a disgruntled binder woman.

That “binder” thing is so lame- as soon as I read your comment I saw Allred shoving a fully costumed Geisha girl, complete with white socks and wooden flip flops, towards a microphone.

BettyRuth on October 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

ManlyRash on October 20, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I’m jittery about this. The Obama campaign is slimy and desperate enough to try this, and I’m not at ALL sure it will land with a thud. Sure, we will see through it. But we’re political junkies. Your average Joe might not.

This president will do ANYthing to win. He has no character so he’s not concerned with how it will reflect on him. He has no integrity to lose. Win at any cost; it’s the Chicago way.

The only positive I see: the later they wait, the more transparent it will be. Anything dropped in the last week might backfire. It will be dropped soon, I predict, or not at all.

Grace_is_sufficient on October 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Gloria Allredred?

What a pathetic loser she is.

I don’t care if Romney had sex with a 12 year old giraffe named Sparky in a petting zoo at this point.

NOBAMA!!!!

And four words for the Obama campaign if that happens……..VERA BAKER, LARRY SINCLAIR.
(Google it).

PappyD61 on October 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Barry’s an inexperienced street punk, and it shows.

RobertMN on October 20, 2012 at 8:35 AM

100% punk. If it weren’t for low class, he’d have no class at all.

petefrt on October 20, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Keep that in mind when you hear Barack Obama on the stump talking about “Romnesia.” Those elementary-school attacks using people’s names are something one usually farms out to surrogates (and is pretty lame regardless).

For some bizarre reason, the lib media has seized on the ‘Romnesia’ comment like it’s the bee’s knees giving it headline status and high-fiving all over the place. I agree they are desperate for any scrap of momentum at this point.

‘Romnesia’? Dude, the cornball joke store called–they want their merchandise back.

RepubChica on October 20, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I’m not sure this applies to Obama. Obama isn’t losing his maturity, he just never had any to begin with.

CrustyB on October 20, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Note tha state polls usually lag national polls by a week or two, bt do tend to follow them.

Arssanguinus on October 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Gloria Allred should be charged with ambulance stalking.

Slade73 on October 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I think I’d flip this around. When the challengers supporters get their knickers in a twist over mild, humorous jabs like “Romnesia” and “binders full of women,” they’re probably increasingly panicked that time is getting short and their short-term momentum is fading.

“Romnesia?” C’mon, lighten up….

Besides,with every person here having criticized Romney endlessly for his endless flip-flops, you have very little room to whine. Maybe that’s why it stings.

urban elitist on October 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I wrote better insults than this in third grade

Slade73 on October 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Gloria Allredred?

What a pathetic loser she is.

PappyD61 on October 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Can’t stand her. Unfortunately for us, she’s often effective.

I’ve seen that Larry Sinclair video. Ew. And also…wow.

Grace_is_sufficient on October 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

ManlyRash on October 20, 2012 at 8:49 AM

That’s certainly Allred’s style, but I have to think that the campaign has gone over every employee the Romney’s have ever had, and for the life of me, (and I’m a pretty big cynic) I can’t see those people being unkind to anyone. It’s probably a Costco employee who’s still peeved that they didn’t bring their own bags.

BettyRuth on October 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Ed wrote:

But hasn’t Obama always been like that? Disrespectful and derisive of others in his arguments?

Paul-Cincy on October 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

It just makes it hard to seem that 50% of people in swing states would vote for this guy. Between the displays like this, the debates where he gives no good answers about the past or future, his negative advertising, I can’t see that he has any brand left except he is a liberal democrat. If he just wins for the (D) next to his name 1) That is sad for the country, we are really sunk as a people 2) In 2008 we had to stand around and not say anything because he hadn’t had a chance, this time there are newspapers, popular figures, and the Romney voters who will be upset with his re-election from day 1.

It just doesn’t seem like it will happen. I agree with Ed if he wins like this it will actually be a new event in America. No modern President has been able to keep from being rejected under these circumstances.

Conan on October 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

urban elitist on October 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

yeah, but is he a flip flopper or the most radically conservative pol in history? Cause Obama wants it both ways.

Slade73 on October 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Imagine if McCain had actually TRIED TO WIN?

Where are the fantasy pieces about where we would be now if McCain had won? Every body is writing their “269-269″ puff piece.

Here is where we would be, I’d bet:
November 7th, 2012:

President Hillary Clinton
A Democrat majority House
A Democrat majority Senate

Sort of funny, isn’t it. But they went with Affirmative Action to feel better about themselves.

Marcus on October 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Allred’s bringing up a wrongful death suit for Romney killing that cancer lady.

Slade73 on October 20, 2012 at 9:00 AM

This isn’t desperation; this is Pope Jugear’s standard mode of operation. And his base loves it.

This is why I think he’s still going to be reelected.

SagebrushPuppet on October 20, 2012 at 9:00 AM

When Goldwater was running, I was 7 years old, and noted the similarity between “Democrats” and “dirty rats”. I thought I was so clever.

Paul-Cincy on October 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Gloria Allred.

this is more likely than BO dropping a couple of bombs on Libya….seeing as how the demorats are into the war on women. romney’s team has just got to be prepared and i would suggest that they watch her solicitation, not try to discredit these desperate victims or get into the weeds with gloria but just say NO and turn away from gloria and her bimbos.

gracie on October 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Paul-Cincy on October 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

He was Paul-cincy but the whole voting public wasn’t paying attention. There is a reason 70 million tuned into the first debate and a reason that Romney’s numbers flipped. That was the first time they say Obama try and dismiss R’s like that. They have the media image. It makes me want to strangle the MSM for this presidency of the last 4 years.

Conan on October 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM

And his base loves it.

This is why I think he’s still going to be reelected.

SagebrushPuppet on October 20, 2012 at 9:00 AM

yeah, but his base is college kids too hung over to get out and vote.

Slade73 on October 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM

“Romnesia?” C’mon, lighten up….

urban elitist on October 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

So we’ll put you solidly in the cornball joke store satisfied customer category.

Safe to say you don’t think it’s sad the media finds this headline worthy rather than reports of Obama having ‘momentum’ in the polls as the election winds down (which he doesn’t) or crucial policy initiatives for a theoretical second term (which he hasn’t produced).

RepubChica on October 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I think it’s too late for them. Any last minute attempts to smear or damage Romney will fail. The reason the president will lose is because he was unfit for the task from the start and he failed miserably. He’s not going to be able to convince the majority to give him another chance, they’ve got no reason to do so. They’re tired of the same old bs and ready to try something new.

scalleywag on October 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM

In a completely unscientific local observation…. I drive a taxi in Tampa Bay, in good neighborhoods and bad, and Romney signs outnumber signs for Teh Won by 10 or 12 to 1…

I think he’s completely outta gas… What I want now is for him to absolutely crushed in the election… So bad that not even the ghost of Fritz Mondale can console him… An unmitigated and unmistakable repudiation of liberalism that lasts for 40 years.

PointnClick on October 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on October 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM

You know there’s going to be a last minute dirty trick. At least one. We can take that to the bank.

petefrt on October 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Regarding Ohio, I actually think it’s going to turn around for Romney. SW Ohio (Hamilton County) helped put Obama over the top, and much of that consisted of squishy RINOs and “independents” who wanted to be able to have tears in their eyes while listening to Obama speak from Grant Park on Election Night in 2008.

In 2012, I think they’re embarrassed and mad as hell. I see virtually no Obama signs and virtually no Obama stickers.

Obama may have bailed out the UAW, but he’s trying to kill the fossil-fuel industries. I bet he gets no votes in Ohio’s coal country or in Ohio’s oil and natural gas areas.

Beyond that, Ohio has an interesting U.S. Senate race: very liberal, union supporter Sherrod Brown vs Josh Mandel, Ohio Treasurer. Mandel served two terms in Iraq, and–sorry to play identity politics–he’s a young Jewish guy from an affluent Cleveland suburb.

Finally, Ohio’s a pretty patriotic state. Ohioans don’t like seeing the U.S. project weakness. As a result, I think the Benghazi mess hurts Obama in the eyes of Ohioans.

We’ll see.

BuckeyeSam on October 20, 2012 at 9:05 AM

yeah, but his base is college kids too hung over to get out and vote.

Slade73 on October 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM

And Halo 4 drops on election day.

taternuggets on October 20, 2012 at 9:05 AM

urban elitist on October 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Who was it that said when you can’t run on your record, you make the campaign about small things?

Oh, that’s right…Obama, in 2008. Remember the Hopeychange? He was going to bring the nation together.

How embarrassed you must be: from lofty promises to binders and Big Bird. Humiliating.

Grace_is_sufficient on October 20, 2012 at 9:06 AM

They don’t have shite, they are just taunting…same like they said theh would leak his tax returns, yeah right…as for that idiot, gloria allred, it worked once with Meg Whitman, and that’s because she was a lady and didn’t fight back (dirty, I mean), but it’s not going to work this time, the stakes are too high, they are suicidal if they try something now, it will have the opposite effect on the public..and what could be anyways. That his gardener at his La Jolla house is illegal, yeah, big deal, aren’t they all…here, in Kali at least :)… Nanny out of question coz apparently they never had nannies or maids…so, gloria allred can kiss my derriere, she has the credibility of john edwards at this point…

jimver on October 20, 2012 at 9:06 AM

completely unscientific observation – I saw one Obama sign in a town of 5000 people. When I drove by it next, the sign was gone and the trees in front were covered with toilet paper.

Slade73 on October 20, 2012 at 9:07 AM

BettyRuth on October 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I am literally LOL’ing! Hahahaaa!

Key West Reader on October 20, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Halo 4!

wait…wasn’t there something I was gonna do today? Ah well…

Slade73 on October 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM

WASHINGTON — The presidential campaigns yesterday turned up the heat in Florida, as a new poll showed Mitt Romney increasing his lead in that crucial battleground…

workingclass artist on October 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM

We’ll see.

BuckeyeSam on October 20, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I hope my homeland doesn’t let me down. And I hope Ohioans remember that their relative prosperity in this recession is brought to them by a Republican administration…

Grace_is_sufficient on October 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Well, here is a sdie benefit to nominating Romney that I noted way back last winter – he effectively isolates us from from any charges based on sex/drugs/alcohol. The public isn’t going to buy any of that from a squeaky clean family guy who doesn’t even drink coffee.

FuzzyLogic on October 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM

The problem for Mr. Obama is he spent months demonizing Mr. Romney. The Obama campaign spent all their energy trying to tell folks Romney was some “rich guy” who could not relate to them and his ideas for fixing the economy were “already tried” and don’t work.

Then people got to see Mr. Romney for the person he is- bright, articulate, passionate and a good family man. He is someone with a history of doing good deeds not only out of the kindness of his hear, but out of the public eye. He has been nothing but a loving father and husband his entire life. So there is no proof of these fallacious tales, in fact there is more of the converse.

The fact is most Americans can relate to Mr. Romney and when people saw him for themselves, Mr. Obama’s campaign of demagoguery further collapsed.

Combine that with the last four years of broken promises and economic horror worsened and prolonged by Mr. Obama’s remedies, which he now wants four more years to continue.

Than on foreign policy, generally an incumbents strength, we now have four murdered Americans on the anniversary of September 11th. That reminds our entire country not only of his past apology tour which did not ring well, but a strategy in the Middle East that made the world a more dangerous place. Ultimately it has allowed Al Qaeda to expand across North Africa and their sympathizers to take over sovereign governments in the region. As a result, the world is a much more treacherous place for Americans. This was the coup de grace from which it will be very difficult, if not impossible for Mr Obama to recover.

Marcus Traianus on October 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM

RepubChica on October 20, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Yeah. They seized on Bush 41′s “Bozo” comments also.

Stinky, stinky cologne…

JohnGalt23 on October 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM

BettyRuth on October 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Alred will give it a shot seeing as how she’s already stuck her head above the foxhole. it won’t be credible by definition or it would have come up before now..and it’s alred. but romney can put alred away in one shot with a very few carefully chosen words including the word “NO”.he just has to wait…like braveheart when the english were charging his ragged troops and they waited for the last minute to pull up their spears and spike the king’s men.

gracie on October 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Hey let’s be honest when we were trying to get Ayers and Wright, etc, tied to Obama on these boards it wasn’t just because it was actually true but to have a game-changer that we needed. What was Joe the Plumber? Yes, I agree Obama dropped his mask there but suddenly we were relying on this guy, bringing him up on stage, mentioning him in debates, it was let’s be honest a sign we were desperate and Obama was talking about big things like Hope and Change. Put your anger aside for a moment and like Ed says, You can tell who is going to win by themes they are going with. Romney/Ryan are the Hope and Change his time (without the complete BS behind it) and we are worse off then after the financial crises that brought Obozo to power. Obama is the one this time throwing Hail Mary character assassination slogans like binders and Romnesia.

Conan on October 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Romnesia, cute. Still can’t deliver a joke in a hand basket, tho. How many last minute zingers can Ax think up? The Won looks like a drowning man flailing away at the waves as he goes under for the third time. Ross Perot was mainly the reason Bush lost. He sucked just enough votes away, which is why Sarah was so against the 3rd party. The Tea Party will be felt in this election and after, just not with their own candidate.

Kissmygrits on October 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM

RepubChica on October 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Momentum?? :) the only impetus he might be catching will is on his downward trajectory…

jimver on October 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

PointnClick on October 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Interestingly, I was out driving through a very affluent section of Fairfax County, VA the other day — Republican country, generally — and was surprised how many Obama sins I saw.

RepubChica on October 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM

The media picked it up because it was the only interesting thing on the campaign all day. No debates, major policy addresses or crisies, and you have to fill 90 seconds of air time on each candidate. What else ar they going to do?

Grace_is_sufficient on October 20, 2012 at 9:06 AM

He should be running on his very solid record. Saved the economy, reformed health care, major Wall Street reform, strong effort on gays and women, decent foreign policy…

urban elitist on October 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Bush lost because of Perot.

Ross took a large enough popular percentage in: Nevada, Colorado, Connecticut, Ohio, Delaware, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, and possibly Washington.

Without Perot, they would roughly go 60/40 or 70/30 to HW and tilt the electoral for almost all his way. The only state where the inverse happened to to Clinton was North Carolina.

So if you mean the recession and “no new taxes” turned people to Perot, then yes. But without Ross as an option, it wouldn’t have happened.

budfox on October 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM

mrscullen on October 20, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Agreed. I need to see an OHIO poll that says Mittens is ahead.

Imagine if McCain had actually TRIED TO WIN?

PappyD61 on October 20, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Election ended when the banking system nearly collapsed in 2008. No R was going to win after that.

As for the “October Surprise,” those only stick when they confirm a narrative, which a sexual harassment allegation doesn’t with Mittens. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Obama campaign surrogates go with the Mormon thing. If they go there, then I’ll know that they are losing. However, it has been suggested that there is a MAD truce between the Romney and Obama teams… Chicago doesn’t mention Mormons and Boston doesn’t mention Reverend Wright.

Illinidiva on October 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM

urban elitist on October 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

denial ain’t just a river in Benghazi

Slade73 on October 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM

urban elitist on October 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Funny, that.

rogerb on October 20, 2012 at 9:17 AM

What I can never figure out is what they think the name-calling will prove.

“Oh, I’m going to vote for Obama because he said Romeny’s a poo-poo head. That completely convinced me…”

mr.blacksheep on October 20, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Yeah. They seized on Bush 41′s “Bozo” comments also.

Stinky, stinky cologne…

JohnGalt23 on October 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM

It’s all about spin. Wasn’t yet of voting age during Bush 41 era, but I can almost guarantee they (media) spinned the ‘bozo’ comment very negatively toward the incumbent. Obama’s cheesefest is met with the roaring approval of a Showtime at the Apollo audience, complete with fist-pumping, foot-stomping elation by the MSM.

RepubChica on October 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM

urban elitist on October 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I hope that is a joke.

Conan on October 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM

urban elitist on October 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Thanks, btw.

rogerb on October 20, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I love how we’re still seeing D+7, D+6 samples

Zaggs on October 20, 2012 at 9:19 AM

..Ed’s sentiments are dead on. As to the October surprise or the possibility of a wagging dog tale, the voters in this country are incredibly stupid if they fall for something so perfidious as this late hour.

I still believe, however, that there will be a very surprised posse of innocent camel jockeys in the Libyan desert when they get lit up with a drone strike and blamed with the consulate attack.

This Crapsack™ POTUS’s desperation knows no bounds.

The War Planner on October 20, 2012 at 9:20 AM

D+7 is like Tinkerbell, it only exists if you believe it

Slade73 on October 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM

RepubChica on October 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM

If they are fist-pumping a President that is not dealing with his record or the future what do you think undecideds and swings hear?

That he needs another term or that this guy has no valid excuses for the past and no plans for the future.

I would say fist-pumping this makes you out-of-touch and losing swing support. I wouldn’t say is good for Obama.

Conan on October 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM

urban elitist on October 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Sorry that it took me so long to respond. I laughed so hard I had to take a hit off my asthma inhaler.

Put down the pipe, son.

kingsjester on October 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I love how we’re still seeing D+7, D+6 samples

Zaggs on October 20, 2012 at 9:19 AM

The latest poll from the Hartford/Courant showing Obama up 3 had a D+8.

rob verdi on October 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM

urban elitist on October 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Err, there’s another candidate in the race–maybe they should give headline billing to the Gallup poll (51-45), Romney making incredible gains with female voters, Romney’s momentum in Swing states following release of slew of polls, the newly uncovered memos by a desperate Amb. Stevens pleading for more security, how Obama donor from CA in charge of labor reporting kept last week’s data hostage to help Biden out during debate–things like that maybe?

Admit it–they’re desperately searching out any shred of comfort at this point.

RepubChica on October 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Kissmygrits on October 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM

L’esprit de l’escalier (as we say in french) is the only game he’s got :)…

jimver on October 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Put down the pipe, son.

kingsjester on October 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM

let them smoke…what brain cells they have are expendable.

Slade73 on October 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM

urban elitist on October 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Gee. And yet he is not. That tells us that either; A) Team Liar is filled, top to bottom, with incompetent thugs, or; B) There really is no solid record to run on.

Of course, the two aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive…

JohnGalt23 on October 20, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Those still nervous about the swing state polls need to remember that OIHO has a notorious tendency to break crazy nuts late. Kerry looked pretty close to golden there through mid-October too. It isn’t until Novembers that OH (or is it OI now?) voters decide they’ve been courted enough to undertake the role of ultimate decider that the media has bestowed upon them for the past year.

On top of that, usually when the late shift happens in Ohio, it favors the Republican. Even in 2008, Barky went from a 7 point lead to 4.6. That two and a half point shift could be the last boost to swing those 18 electoral votes to Romney.

Finally, remember that many of these polls are working from the false perception that Ohio had a D+8 electorate in 2008. That’s just bad exit polling – the electorate was D+5, hence Barry’s win closer to that margin. This means that the D+5 polls for 2012 that look reasonable to Beltway insiders are in fact assuming 2008 style turnout. Expect a more reasonable split no worse than D+2, and Ohio heads Romney’s way.

Overall, Ohio is either breaking Romney or on its way there. Same seems to be the report from Iowa. PA meanwhile is in play but an uphill battle. If Barky’s team sends Biden to Philly in the next couple of weeks for anything other than fundraising, then let it be know that they’re very scared deep into their firewall, and this election is over.

Gingotts on October 20, 2012 at 9:26 AM

On the “what would it have looked like if McCain won” issue I am not convinced it would have been all that much better than it is now. He may have just been able to get enough done to keep the Dems from getting the blame for all this crap but not enough to fix the economy.

Looking at it I think we may be better off the way things have worked out. Let the leftest show their true selves and then run them out of town this year. Lets hope Mitt wins and gets a majority, cuts deep and hard but fixes the economy. The Dems can bitch all they want but if people are making money it will fall on deaf ears..

Then again, he may fail also…

TheGarbone on October 20, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I recall the moment when I realized for the first time — not feared, but realized — that Bush would lose the election

…OMG!!!!I was there!…young and stupid!…I was agreeing clapping and whistling at everything Bush and Engler were saying…and thought WE WERE just gonna KICK their A$$E$!…that’s why I’ve stayed up all night every election night ever since…I’m stupid until I SEE the results.

KOOLAID2 on October 20, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Addendum: Hat tip to Numbers Muncher for most of the above on the Ohio turnout stuff. His blog has a post breaking it down even more.

Gingotts on October 20, 2012 at 9:27 AM

BettyRuth on October 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM

That just made me laugh out loud.

Not one person is going to be believe that.

gophergirl on October 20, 2012 at 9:27 AM

For pre-election release. Maybe even pre-debate release:

Obama cuts deal with Iran over nukes:
Sanctions to vanish in exchange for ‘temporary’ halt in enrichment work

H/T: Dick Morris

petefrt on October 20, 2012 at 9:28 AM

All of this polling talk and no Gumby?

Oh, that’s right… Saturday morning cartoons. Guess he’ll be on here when they start showing football.

Gingotts on October 20, 2012 at 9:29 AM

RepubChica on October 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM

See. That sounds like whining to me. No whining. Winning teams don’t whine. They go out and make phone calls and knock on doors. Phones ringing and fists a-door-knocking are winning sounds. Whining is the sound losing campaigns make.

Once again… phone ringing = winning sound. Whining = losing sound.

This concludes your public service message.

JohnGalt23 on October 20, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Nov. 7 headlines:

Climate Change kills 8,000,000 as Romney Rolls
The Oceans Recede as Obama Claims Re-election

Slade73 on October 20, 2012 at 9:30 AM

budfox on October 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM

It’s amazing how many ‘smart people’ want to totally ignore that bit of reality.

Perot gave America to the Clintons… period.

CPT. Charles on October 20, 2012 at 9:30 AM

PA meanwhile is in play but an uphill battle.

Gingotts on October 20, 2012 at 9:26 AM

A lot depends on how many times Philthadelphians get to vote.

petefrt on October 20, 2012 at 9:30 AM