Santa not seeing the Obama recovery

posted at 7:46 pm on October 20, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

In addition to the traditional, religious joy of the Christmas season, it usually brings along presents of another kind to politicians in power. Sales, particularly for toys and entertainment products, tend to see a sharp rise in the fall. This can spur additional hiring, if only of the seasonal variety, and a short term sugar rush for the economy at large. So if we’re going through a huge recovery, as the First Lady recently said, this should provide an additional boost to Barack Obama’s prospects in the final weeks as we approach November. Yet strangely… it hasn’t.

As retailers gear up for the busy holiday shopping season, there’s trouble brewing in Toyland, according to research from Goldman Sachs.

Toy sales have been on the decline for some time, but Goldman suspects the trend may be accelerating, and this week the firm cut the industry’s rating to “cautious” from “neutral.” It also downgraded Hasbro shares to “sell” from “neutral,” while keeping Mattel shares at “neutral.”

As noted, this is likely part of a longer term trend, not something that just suddenly happened under Obama’s watch. Goldman estimates that toy sales are down roughly 30% over the past fifteen years and there are a number of factors at play. These include the increase in hand-held, internet capable devices which act as “toys” in parallel with their normal functions as phones, readers, etc. And of course, the depressed economy hasn’t helped matters. But if we’re truly in a sustainable recovery and people are going back to work, it seems as if the newly prosperous families would be celebrating with some nice gifts for the kids, if not stabilizing the decline in sales, at least slowing it.

Instead, it’s accelerating.

“The nominal amount spent on traditional toys/games in the U.S. per capita is down 30% from $85 per person to $60 per person since 1998, and the pace of the decline has accelerated to 5% to 10% year to date,” said Michael Kelter, an analyst at Goldman Sachs, in a research note announcing the ratings changes.

If this is a huge recovery, I’d hate to see a stagnant one. It almost makes you want to run out and buy a few more gifts just to keep the kids happy. But if this is yet another factor which leads to Barack Obama failing to win a second term, my previous suggestion that perhaps he could move to the Island of Misfit Toys is probably off the table.

Comments

I want Santa to bring us a new POTUS for Christmas.

myiq2xu on October 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM

But, but, Bill Clinton said we are just impatient. Things are improving and the economy is showing signs of improvement.

I’m so confused!

AZfederalist on October 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I am thinking Big Bird items and binders will spike this year.

hillsoftx on October 20, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I heard that Santa had to get a loan from Bank of America..

Tough times..

Electrongod on October 20, 2012 at 7:55 PM

The elves were forcibly unionized by the Teamsters and were ordered to immediately go on strike, therefore Christmas is off until further notice.

Bishop on October 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Nice pic.

kim roy on October 20, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Nice pic.

kim roy on October 20, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Ditto.

PatriotGal2257 on October 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Santa needs to poke his eyes out. Then he’d be able to see the recovery.

platypus on October 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Upon further review, that was only an initial assessment. On the third hand we got bad intelligence, besides, Mitt Romney or something.

rbj on October 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Jesus Christ, I H8 Saturdays.

All in favor of forcing Ed to work weekends as well raise your hands.

Lanceman on October 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Get used to learning that, our economy is more intertwined than most people care to think about! You can also tie in the cost of energy, to this retail slow down, thanks to Obama’s war on Coal & Oil! These trends can be turned around, but it won’t be quick unless Mitt grows a pair & really cuts both taxes & spending, along with an immediate increase in coal & oil production, as well as, refinery capacity! The economy would take a rapid boost if Romney opens up the “Mineral Rights Lottery” and allows the people to make some money, instead of just the oil company share holders!
Update on:How to take on the Obama Enemy media & Win: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM

All in favor of forcing Ed to work weekends as well raise your hands.

Lanceman on October 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM

But Ed is in a Santa suit drowning his sorrows..

On second thought..
That could be AP..

Electrongod on October 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Santa didn’t build his workshop, someone else made that happen. All those roads and bridges at the North Pole…

Left Coast Right Mind on October 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Ho! Ho! Ho!

predator on October 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Ho! Ho! Ho!

predator on October 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

You counted 3 of them…
At least they have work..

Electrongod on October 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Christmas is racist.

Send the money that you would have spent, to our godking president puppymuncher.

Rebar on October 20, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I thought Barky WAS Santa Claus…you know, iPHONES FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Strike Hornet on October 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Ho! Ho! Ho!

predator on October 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Green Giant.

Lanceman on October 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

You counted 3 of them…
At least they have work..

Electrongod on October 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM

And that’s just on one corner.

predator on October 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I thought Barky WAS Santa Claus…you know, iPHONES FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Strike Hornet on October 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Keep obama in president, choo know?

Lanceman on October 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM

president puppymuncher.

Rebar on October 20, 2012 at 8:15 PM

LOL you owe me a monitor !!!!

I am sooo stealing that …..

conservative tarheel on October 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM

And that’s just on one corner.

predator on October 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Gotta love the Government when they made intersections with multiple corners..
At least they were thinking out-of-the-box…O_o

Electrongod on October 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Bishop on October 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I heard Santa was forced by his government “bosses” to downsize his workforce, and many elves got their pink slips. Worry not tho, our tax dollars will pay for any attorney’s fees incurred by those laid off.

JetBoy on October 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Green Giant.

Lanceman on October 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

And he’s jolly. Cuz he’s calling his three girls, and he knows they’ll show.

predator on October 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM

At least they were thinking out-of-the-box…O_o

Electrongod on October 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM

fify

predator on October 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Keep obama in president, choo know?

Lanceman on October 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Oh great..

Now I can’t get that jingle out of my head…

Electrongod on October 20, 2012 at 8:20 PM

fify

predator on October 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Perfect :)

Electrongod on October 20, 2012 at 8:20 PM

At least they have work..

Electrongod on October 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM

And they are all members of SEIU. It’s that whole “service” thing, dontcha know.

predator on October 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I remember one Christmas I got my sister a do it yourself diamond kit …
I gave her a lump of coal … and a vise …. Diamonds and coal are both
carbon … just add pressure and some time … and there ya go .. its a diamond …
I was 10 and she was 6 …. it was worth the spanking I got ….

conservative tarheel on October 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I was 10 and she was 6 …. it was worth the spanking I got ….

conservative tarheel on October 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM

In 10,000 years she’ll thank you. Some people just have no patience.

predator on October 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM

..my older two kids are flush. My youngest is a Marine Lance Corporal; the USMC already bought him a soldier suit and an M4 and all the ammo he can shoot. So I am set.

The War Planner on October 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM

In 10,000 years she’ll thank you. Some people just have no patience.

predator on October 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Kinda sounds like Bill Clinton’s comment about Americans and their impatience..

Maybe in 10,000 years…Obama might get it right..

I ain’t holdin’ my breathe..

Electrongod on October 20, 2012 at 8:26 PM

The War Planner on October 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Your kid is a marine ME corporal?

Lanceman on October 20, 2012 at 8:26 PM

How about factoring in that the Baby Boomer Generation are retired or starting to retire and that their kids are either in college (like mine) or out of college looking for a job to stay above water. The kids of Baby Boomers aren’t having children these days because of their age or the economy. As this is also the tail end of the baby boom boom, there aren’t a lot of new kids to take their place. I wouldn’t be putting a lot of money into traditional toy companies these days.

parke on October 20, 2012 at 8:33 PM

The War on Elves.

chewmeister on October 20, 2012 at 8:34 PM

On second thought..
That could be AP..

Electrongod on October 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM

That’s just crazy talk …

Everyone knows Eeyores don’t believe in Santa

;->

PolAgnostic on October 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM

No choo-choo trains this year:

mrt721 on October 20, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Santa not seeing the Obama recovery

…why?…you mean Mooch doesn’t have a toy registry where you can give money to JugEar’s campaign…instead of getting the brat a toy?

KOOLAID2 on October 20, 2012 at 9:05 PM

It’s funny that toys like Lego, Barbie, Easy Bake Oven, GI Joe, Mr. Potato Head, and Etch-a-Sketch still sell well. And even the more recent toys like Star Wars are still selling too. The toy companies can’t seem to find that one toy every kid wants, even Tickle Me Elmo came nowhere close to Lego or Barbie in sales. They have brought back oldies but goodies like Glow Worm, Weebles, Sit and Spin, Furby, and even Alphie to try and attract sales.

Well having grandkids I can tell you that its becoming harder and harder for them to decide what they want. Maybe there are just too many choices?

Deanna on October 20, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Ho! Ho! Ho!

predator on October 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Oh God. Someone cloned Sandra Fluke. TWICE.

Myron Falwell on October 20, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I hear Santa’s elves are going back to their homeland, this year is going to be so lean…and I wanna know where to file for immigration.

MelonCollie on October 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Q: Why is Santa so jolly?

A: He knows where all the naughty girls live.

myiq2xu on October 20, 2012 at 10:37 PM

As we look toward the start of the holiday season, we should remember that it is better to give than to receive.

In this spirit, I suggest we need to give Obama the boot, and receive the joyous news of MSM heads exploding.

drunyan8315 on October 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Obama Campaign Suggestion:

Hi folks, it’s me, President Obama. The joyous season of giving will soon be upon us. Now in the past, folks like yourself would spend money buying presents for their children. I know I have. And like you, I’ve noticed that after playing with those gifts for just a few hours, the kids became bored.

You’ve probably heard that the Democratic Party is running short of cash this campaign season. We’re even borrowing money from the unions in order to get our message out.

So here’ my suggestion. Instead of spending that money for toys the kids won’t really appreciate, how about sending that money to me! After all, and to make it perfectly clear, in the end, IT’S FOR THE CHILDREN!

Have a wonderful holiday season, and let’s ring in the New Year with 4 more years with me as your President.

I’m Barack Obama and I approve this message.

GarandFan on October 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

At least Goldman-Sachs appears to be doing okay for some reason….it’s good to be in tight with the President (may he be switched out in November).

Sherman1864 on October 21, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Santa can’t see a recovery because there is no recovery. There was no recovery. All we had was fabricated statistics from a corrupt government.

Look how easy it was for an Obama supporter in California to change the unemployment numbers. Now consider the fact that Zero installed his communist friends in positions of authority at the BLS, DoJ and BEA. (not that the BEA needed much help printing nonsense, I mean 40 months to get the math on Q1 2008 right? Seriously?)

dogsoldier on October 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM