Great moments in media: Major network host challenges candidate’s son to a fistfight

posted at 10:41 am on October 19, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Major network?  It’s difficult to remember sometimes, but MSNBC is a part of NBC News and not an arm of Ringling Brothers.  However, the clowns do come out at night, and Larry O’Donnell led the parade last night with one of the more ridiculous demonstrations of outrageous outrage in recent American broadcasting.  O’Donnell takes Tagg Romney’s joke about wanting to take a swing at President Obama when Obama kept asserting that his father was lying during the debate, and turns it into this Johnson-measuring moment that went on for almost three minutes.

And it wouldn’t be complete without the gratuitous class-warfare nonsense, as O’Donnell whines about his underprivileged childhood as a way to suggest that Tagg can’t handle himself mano a mano:

Real Clear Politics calls this “a tense moment.”  I’d use other adjectives, such as “embarrassing,” “idiotic,” “puerile,” and “unprofessional.”  This is, though, apparently what NBC News believes enhances their credibility as a news organization.  Hey, they have nowhere to go but up from this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Hey…ed’s getting a hat tip from rush right now.

Tim_CA on October 19, 2012 at 1:17 PM

LOL !!!! ..O’onnell gives new meaning to the term “Screen Beret”.

DevilsPrinciple on October 19, 2012 at 1:17 PM

LOL !!!! ..O’Donnell gives new meaning to the term “Screen Beret”.

DevilsPrinciple on October 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM

LMAO. This is priceless! He reminds exactly of that drunk little guy talking junk at the bar who everyone laughs at and buys more drinks for so he’ll keep up the entertainment.

This is the least intimidating person I can think of, and this is one of the most embarrassing videos I have ever seen. So embarrassing it hurts to watch!

Daemonocracy on October 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I’d fight him. Yes it’s childish and no, I’m not even joking.

StevenCrowder on October 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Ed does snark! Very well done, sir.

kim roy on October 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Tough guy from Boston. Please.
I’m a hick from Wyoming that lived in Boston for four years.

I always had to tell the Southies to wait in the truck.

MichaelGabriel on October 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM

sn’t Brett Baier a former Marine? (I know, I know. One is never a “former” Marine). I’d like to see Brett in the ring with Larry.Mitoch55 on October 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Obese Brett? Lol. The only guy he can take on is Chris Christie.

HotAirLib on October 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Niles Crane wants a piece of Tagg Romney? AHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAA … whew, thanks toolbag, that’s the best laugh I’ve had today.

OneFreeMan on October 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Hahahaha! That was “wicked” funny! Even better that he’s ostensibly being for real. Damn, that made my day.

change is for suckers on October 19, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Was this before or after Tagg committed a felony by physically threatening the President?

Rainsford on October 19, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Neither. Next.

Christien on October 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Obese Brett? Lol. The only guy he can take on is Chris Christie.

HotAirLib on October 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Hahaha. Hilarious. Except for the fact that he clobbers every other network newscaster in the ratings every day. Suck on that, token.

M240H on October 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM

HotAirLib on October 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM

change is for suckers on October 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I think Maddow would be a far more intimidating opponent for Tagg.

LarryinLA on October 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM

It’s super easy to threaten Mormons, who will not retaliate. How about you lay down the law to some Muslims, sir? Then we will see what you are made of.

Kristamatic on October 19, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Dude could weigh 400 pounds and need a forklift to move around and he’d still whip up on Larry. Look, anytime a liberal challenges someone to fisticuffs, the outcome is a foregone conclusion. That threat carries as much weight as a declaration of war by France.change is for suckers on October 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM

If that’s the case, let us see Taggart accept Lawrence’s challenge then. Dorchester kid vs Boston Mansion brat. I know who I’m betting on.

HotAirLib on October 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I didnt take Taggs statement as a joke. I thought coming from a Presidential candidates son it was unprofessional especially since he is in close quarters to Obama during the debates when the families greet on stage.

Where I’m from you dont “joke” about punching someone that your obviously not friends with.

I’m sure Obama would wipe the floor with that guy anyway.

Dont write checks your _ _ _ cant cash.

Politricks on October 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Dude could weigh 400 pounds and need a forklift to move around and he’d still whip up on Larry. Look, anytime a liberal challenges someone to fisticuffs, the outcome is a foregone conclusion. That threat carries as much weight as a declaration of war by France.change is for suckers on October 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Mayweather is a Liberal, so was Tyson. So is Holyfield. So are all those gangbangers in urban cities. I bet all of them would make short work of you lol.

Politricks on October 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM

This guy was a Marine. Im sure Tagg has never gotten in a fight in his life.

Politricks on October 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I know who I’m betting on.

HotAirLib on October 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM

You’re making the same bet in November- on the nose of the loser.

M240H on October 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Politricks on October 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I bet you know nothing about me, so believe what you want. Despite that, you’re talking about trained fighters. I’m talking about Larry. Those guys you mention don’t even know why they’re liberal, like most entertainers.

change is for suckers on October 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM

HotAirLib on October 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Sure- I’ll take the 62 yr old guy over the 41 yr old any day as well.

I’m thinking, putz.

FlaMurph on October 19, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I’m sure Obama would wipe the floor with that guy anyway.

Dont write checks your _ _ _ cant cash.

Politricks on October 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

HAHAHAHA! That’s right, nothing screams fighter like Obama. Dude doesn’t even drink a beer right. Unless you were referring to Moochelle when you say “Obama,” then maybe you have a point.

change is for suckers on October 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I’m sure Obama would wipe the floor with that guy anyway.

Dont write checks your _ _ _ cant cash.

..blah, blah, blah…

Take your own advice. You ain’t from sh**. But you talk a lot of it.

M240H on October 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I’m sure Obama would wipe the floor with that guy anyway.

Dont write checks your _ _ _ cant cash.

lol.

Never thrown a punch…have ya?

Tim_CA on October 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I’m sure Obama would wipe the floor with that guy anyway.

Dont write checks your _ _ _ cant cash.

Politricks on October 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Oh yes, by all means … the most effeminate president we’ve had in my lifetime would ‘wipe the floor with that guy’. Show one shred of evidence that Obama’s ever been anything but a mouthy pantywaist, or take that crap and peddle it somewhere else.

OneFreeMan on October 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Politricks on October 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Epic Beard Guy begs to differ.

Christien on October 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Watch out Taggart, Crazy Larry might hit you with his purth.

Stu Gotts on October 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM

There was one other child in my class, though, who reminded me of a different sort of pain. Her name was Coretta, and before my arrival she had been the only black person in our grade. She was plump and dark and didn’t seem to have many friends. From the first day, we avoided each other but watched from a distance, as if direct contact would only remind us more keenly of our isolation.

Finally, during recess one hot, cloudless day, we found ourselves occupying the same corner of the playground. I don’t remember what we said to each other, but I remember that suddenly she was chasing me around the jungle gym and swings. She was laughing brightly, and I teased her and dodged this way and that, until she finally caught me and we fell to the ground breathless. When I looked up, I saw a group of children, faceless before the glare of the sun, pointing down at us.

“Coretta has a boyfriend! Coretta has a boyfriend!”

The chants grew louder as a few more kids circled us.

“She’s not my g-girlfriend,” I stammered. I looked to Coretta for some assistance, but she just stood there looking down at the ground. “Coretta’s got a boyfriend! Why don’t you kiss her, mister boyfriend?”

“I’m not her boyfriend!” I shouted. I ran up to Coretta and gave her a slight shove; she staggered back and looked up at me, but still said nothing. “Leave me alone!” I shouted again. And suddenly Coretta was running, faster and faster, until she disappeared from sight. Appreciative laughs rose around me. Then the bell rang, and the teachers appeared to round us back into class.

LEAVE BARACK ALONE!

Christien on October 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM

change is for suckers on October 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Good call … I didn’t think of that. Bet Tagg didn’t either … Secret Service would have been the least of his worries.

OneFreeMan on October 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Enjoyed the video until the newsguy started talking…

Then was too embarrassed for the newsguy’s rap to keep watching…

He reminds me of the internet ‘tough guys’ you see on comment pages.

shinty on October 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM

“The race is not always to the swift, nor the contest to the strong – but that’s the way to bet.”

mojo on October 19, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Tagg should just show up outside Lawrence’s house and be like “You wanna go, let’s go mother fu****”.

rndmusrnm on October 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM

So…what? Larry’s gonna hit him with his purse? Throw sequins at him? What?

Solaratov on October 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM

You pencil-necked geek!

rjoco1 on October 19, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Women’s Prison?

BigAlSouth on October 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I hope. I sincerely hope that when Romney takes office no member of his administration ever goes on MSNBC. I sincerely wish that no Republican would go on there now.

OK. I know. Tit for tat re the free press, but these people are broadcasting from some mother ship.

Portia46 on October 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM

O’Donnell fancies himself Irish Mickey Ward from The Fighter.

Christien on October 19, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Women’s Prison?

BigAlSouth on October 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM

World of Warcraft

OneFreeMan on October 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM

As I said last night…if someone clapped their hands behind this old windbag, he would wet himself!

d1carter on October 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Only reason O’Donnell made the challenge was because he knows it won’t be accepted. Tagg was upset at Obama and O’Donnell just wants to increase his audience/ratings by .00001% to bring it up to .00002%, to to speak.

Everybody knows(tm) that Liberals are full of bluff and bluster.

Everyone I’ve asked(tm) tells me that Liberals are like that…issue meaningless statements and challenges assuming they won’t be called on those things.

It wasn’t about a boxing match, but about calling out the liar that O’Donnell worships. Not a sporting event. As Everyone Knows(tm) Libs like to mix those things up too.

I know many of us sure as heck won’t start the fight, but we’d sure make sure it ended. Quickly and violently. As all such things should end.

——
NB: Bold items appear to be trademarked by Obama as cover for actually providing real identities when he makes his fraudulent claims.

ProfShadow on October 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM

ProfShadow on October 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Let me be clear™, I think your analysis is spot-on.

Mary in LA on October 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM

There are pieces of guys tougher than Lawrence O’Donnell in my parakeet’s poop.

M240H on October 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

ProfShadow on October 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Mary in LA on October 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM

There are some out there ™ who would agree with you.

change is for suckers on October 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I’m sure Obama would wipe the floor with that guy anyway.

Politricks on October 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I don’t know, he throws a baseball like a girl, bowls like a paraplegic, rides a bicycle like a 6 yr. old and can’t break
90 on the golf course.

My money would be on the Mormon.

FineasFinn on October 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I think it would be fun to see a special edition of “Celebrity Death Match – The Cage Fight Edition” with these two guys so Taggart could put a fist in it.

Also, Liberals are non-violent, peace-makers, and tolerant, so there’s that too.

Who’s with me?

kburchard on October 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Rachel Maddow could kick his ass.

The Notorious G.O.P on October 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Florence O’Donnell is the type of guy who chain smokes Marlboro’s because he things they will channel a pipeline of testosterone direct to his testicles. He’s a less fatty Keith Olbermann.

Mr. Arkadin on October 19, 2012 at 2:51 PM

What a tool

lostinjrz on October 19, 2012 at 2:53 PM

This is too idiotic to be offended by.
The kid was just being euphemistic while sticking up for his Dad…
just ridiculous to try an make hay out of that.
O’Donnell sounds like some bonehead Southie townie who stumbled out of a bar.
So NOT wicked pissah….

verbaluce on October 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I’m sure Obama would wipe the floor with that guy anyway.

Dont write checks your _ _ _ cant cash.

Politricks on October 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Where you’re from do they teach people how to use apostrophes?

Also, why do people insist on saying such stupid and obviously false things? You are implying one of two things here:

a) that you come from such a hard-knock, rough and tumble local that anyone who made such a joke would immediately be beat down; or

b) you come from such a genteel place that nobody ever makes such scandalous jokes.

Either way, not remotely credible. Saying “I’d like to smack that guy” or something similar is a very common saying – even in tougher neighborhoods or high-end neighborhoods.

And claiming that Obama is some kind of hard-ass is simply ridiculous. I’m not saying Tag is either. But please. Obama is not beating anyone up. Most likely such a fight would devolve into a slap-fest.

People sure do get all kinds of macho when they are anonymous on the internet.

Monkeytoe on October 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I’d be happy to give myself a sore hand with O’Donnell’s face.

jaime on October 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Politricks on October 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

No, you talk about slapping and pulling their hair, you little pansy…
HAHAHAHA!!! You talk like a girl…

right2bright on October 19, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Tough guy from Boston. Please.
I’m a hick from Wyoming that lived in Boston for four years.

I always had to tell the Southies to wait in the truck.

MichaelGabriel on October 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Post again that “tough guy” father was a noted Boston attorney, Larry had spent his life in private schools, than on to Harvard…I can just imagine how many fights he got into over whether fushia was a proper color for early fall…

right2bright on October 19, 2012 at 3:30 PM

change is for suckers on October 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Lol!

Priscilla on October 19, 2012 at 3:43 PM

It’s so easy to talk trash online or into a camera. For instance, I could wipe the floor with metrosexual Larry O’Donnell, and I’m an old lady.

See how easy that is?

RebeccaH on October 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Politricks on October 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Of course not and I would agree. I wouldn’t joke to some nutjob with a bomb strapped on his body yelling, “Allah Ackbar” either.

Now go have fun with your goat.

I’m sure Obama would wipe the floor with that guy anyway.

Well, Obama bows so low and apologizes so much I guess you mean that Obama would wipe the floor after kissing his feet, apologizing.

Kingfisher on October 19, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I’m sure Obama would wipe the floor with that guy anyway.

90 on the golf course.

My money would be on the Mormon.

FineasFinn on October 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Yeah, a real tough guy: Light in the Loafers

slickwillie2001 on October 19, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Tadd is one of five boys. Five. I’m guessing tea parties weren’t their main activity as young lads. Didn’t Mrs. Romney once say they were “baaaad”. That’s mother code for “constant fights and unbelievable mischief.”

Portia46 on October 19, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I wonder if the cameraman was laughing hysterically after O’Donnell’s speech.

Kingfisher on October 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM

90 on the golf course.

FineasFinn on October 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Don’t forget the Mom jeans. There’s nothing like striking fear in the heart of your enemy like wearing Mom jeans to a street fight! :-P

Kingfisher on October 19, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I am soooooooooo looking forward to finding this azzhole in a bar some night and testing his “tough guy” credentials. I’m just wondering if he will cry or piss his pants after the first punch to the mouth. I think I’ll start with a real hard slap and then beat him until he swallows his teeth. See you in the Bar Larry! Looking forward to it!!! Very F**king soooon!

Tbone McGraw on October 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Politricks on October 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM

This punk above better watch it or I’ll bet his azz with Larry!

Tbone McGraw on October 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM

This guy was a Marine. Im sure Tagg has never gotten in a fight in his life.

Politricks on October 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM

You certainly claim to know a lot about O’Donnell. When will the two of you get hitched?

I think Vermont or Hawaii permits those types of civil unions now.

LOL!

Kingfisher on October 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Rachel Maddow could kick his ass.

The Notorious G.O.P on October 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I’m 6’3″ and 235. That Rachel guy could kick my ass!

BigAlSouth on October 19, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Laughable. O’Donnell defends the most inept, lying President this country has ever elected.

SC.Charlie on October 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM

i grew up in a suburb of Detroit. One night our local long time ABC news anchorman Bill Bonds drunkenly challenged Mayor Coleman Young to a fist fight on TV. At least he was drunk! O’Donnell is such a little loser.

ktrich on October 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM

“I didn’t have that luxury in my section of Boston.”

Said like a guy who never heard of Google.

mojowt on October 19, 2012 at 5:02 PM

There is honestly nothing less intimidating than an angry liberal.

The Notorious G.O.P on October 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM

This pansy only offers because he knows no one would take him him up on it. Maybe he’ll offer to the general public. Love to wrap my hands around that sissy’s neck

RdLake on October 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Best argument ever to re-legalize dueling.

mozemoose on October 19, 2012 at 10:08 PM

This guy was a Marine. Im sure Tagg has never gotten in a fight in his life.

Politricks on October 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Larry O’Donnell? Larry O’Donnell never served in the military. Period.

Larry O’Donnell was never a Marine, nor was he ever a member of any other branch of the military.

Dreadnought on October 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM

THIS is the kinda guy who deserves to be called out on his macho BS… Tag was being honest in his answer to the question, and so Rosie O’Donald’s kid sister gauges that he can take Tag and makes a public display of it…

Someone small (yet well trained) should give Macho here a chance at a YouTube beat down… Super secret setup of course where Rosie gets to make the offer to have a toe-to-toe over some little misunderstanding.

I use to know a guy who loved doing those setups in the bar… I wonder what he’s up to lately?

RalphyBoy on October 20, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Hard to watch. But …

This is what they all want to say but can’t.

hawkdriver on October 20, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Morning Hawk!

Funniest part: Some guy named “Lawrence” makes fun of a guy named “Taggart.”

BigAlSouth on October 20, 2012 at 5:58 AM

So much adrenaline.
So little guts.

TimBuk3 on October 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM

HA!

Crazy Santa Monica Larry now pronounces the word “part” as “pot”? Now liar is “liah”? I would love to take a swing at you, you effing little pansy.

Jaibones on October 20, 2012 at 9:55 AM

BigAlSouth on October 20, 2012 at 5:58 AM
TimBuk3 on October 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM

The man really is psycho. Any other network would have fired him.

hawkdriver on October 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Hey, they have nowhere to go but up from this.

Not if Ann bothers to take notice. Soiling yourself because you forced a lady of such class to call you out would be the low water mark.

onomo on October 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I don’t know, he throws a baseball like a girl, bowls like a paraplegic special olympian, rides a bicycle like a 6 yr. old in women’s jeans and can’t break
90 on the golf course.

My money would be on the Mormon.

FineasFinn on October 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM

FIFY owe’bama’s words on the jay leno show

Dr. Demento on October 20, 2012 at 5:40 PM

If all of the Romney boys pass up the offer, may I have a shot at Lawrence O’Dumbell?

I relish the idea.
I’d hit that MF so hard he’d have to look up to tie his shoes.

Missilengr on October 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Poor, under-privileged Larry. His father had such a difficult time putting food on the table on a trial lawyers salary. And think of how rough it had to be attending a an all boys, private, catholic school. Imagine how tough of a time it must have been when Larry attended St. Sebastian’s school, whose current tuition costs are a meager $37K/year .

Poor, poor Larry.