Biden now waving binders around during his stump speech

posted at 7:21 pm on October 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

There’s video of this out there somewhere, I assume, but I’m not going to post it. That’s my concession to bipartisanship today: I’m not going to post a clip of this chortling oaf, who got elected running with a guy known for tut-tutting people about the smallness of their politics, turning prop comic to transform a dumb liberal Internet joke into a Serious Campaign Issue. Let’s leave the man with what little dignity he has left.

And I do mean “little”:

Vice President Joe Biden introduced a new prop into his stump speech on Friday: A binder.

Mocking Mitt Romney’s “binders full of women” remark at a campaign rally in Fort Pierce, Florida, Biden held up a black binder in the air as an example of the Republican candidate’s solution to gender-based pay discrimination.

I don’t think they’re really pushing the “binders” thing to try to win back women voters. Superficially that’s the reason, but it doesn’t make any sense. If you’re a woman who stayed undecided through months of “war on women” hysteria on the left and are now tilting to Romney because you liked what he said about the economy at the debates, “binders full of women” isn’t going to pull you back over the fence. David French makes a similar point about Team O’s slightly more meaningful push lately on abortion:

1. Either the president feels the need to shore up his cultural base, or he truly thinks undecided women have been waiting to see who liked abortion the most;

2. If a Republican launched a similar base-focused blitz three weeks before the election, the MSM would see that as an unmistakable sign of trouble; and

3. The MSM likely won’t report the signs of trouble because they are in part the base that’s being reassured.

Bingo. This isn’t about women, it’s about giving the left a rattle to play with to keep them preoccupied as discouraging poll numbers flood in. Even low-information voters who watched the debates probably aren’t paying close enough attention in the aftermath to follow the “binder” nonsense. That’s a meme circulating among political junkies, not among the population at large. By name-checking it at the podium, though, Obama and Biden can show their base that they’re “on offense,” that they’re hitting Romney on the stuff that the base is interested in, and so forth. It keeps liberal activists, who are doing most of the heavy lifting for them in donations and GOTV, engaged in the process even as O’s chances at reelection tick downward. And in fairness to them, there’s not a lot else for them to talk about at this point. Lord knows, they’re not going to talk about Libya; they can kinda sorta talk about our economic “recovery,” but they’re one more bad jobs report away from having that blow up in their faces. Better just to ride along on whatever hobbyhorse the left is riding right now and hope that that guarantees maximum turnout on election day.

In lieu of the binder video, via The Blaze, here’s Biden shedding a bit more dignity onstage today while a woman talked about her battle with breast cancer. Exit question: Were there no “binders full of women” in the Harvard Law Review offices when The One was president there?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The Obama campaign reminds me of the M*A*S*H unit, except that they were able to accomplish their work while being juvenile. Not so with this administration.

scalleywag on October 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

they’re gonna put ya’ll back in binders…..

same thought process

ted c on October 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM

The whole world is laughing at King Obama and his buffoon Uncle Joe.

JPeterman on October 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM

And Hussein & Joe Blow don’t even realize it.

I know bringing notes, materials etc is not allowed at the debates, but I would love to see Mitt with a binder full of Hussein’s foreign policy blunders on Monday night. Maybe he could just hand them to Schieffer.

Brat on October 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

This is just sad. Do they think this is a campaign for High School Class President. They are winning the base, but that’s it. And I’m losing so much respect for any of my friends who are still part of that base.

Even with this, it frightens me that they can somehow pull out a win.

behiker on October 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Somewhere in DC there’s a binder full of communications from Ambassador Stevens begging for extra security. Maybe Mitt and Ryan can wave binders onstage to make THAT point.

joejm65 on October 19, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Exactly.

scalleywag on October 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

joejm65 on October 19, 2012 at 8:05 PM

the empty chair is really really inside the dems heads now…..it is making them crazy. They are desperately seeking a symbol —a big yellow bird, a binder—something ANYTHING to get the empty chair meme erased from memory.

ted c on October 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Wow. Even the liberals I work with were amazed at the attention the “binders” comment is getting.
scalleywag on October 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM

On the flip side, the liberal millenial, gen-x’s and y’s in my office are pizzed about the binders. Of course, they have NO IDEA what binder-gate is about, but they just latch on to the meme because they hate Romney. They are convinced that Romney and Ryan will outlaw abortion.

bettycooper on October 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Let’s leave the man with what little dignity he has left.

Lets not and say we did. It’s worked for the Obama adminstration.

TulsAmerican on October 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM

What a dumbass. O’Reilly had some progessive woman on last night to explain the severe offensiveness of Romney’s binder remark. She said it was suggestive of something like Arab harems or some such nonsense. O’Reilly was incredulous, rightly so, that anyone would sit before a camera on national television and utter such a senseless remark.
Now old Joe “a heartbeat away” Biden is using binders as a campaign prop? How can he keep a straight face? Do these people seriously think this will draw support? If they do, their contempt for the American people is shameful.

tpitman on October 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Bags full of bullets.

CW on October 19, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Seriously, WTH is wrong with him?

GrannyDee on October 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

1st-God Bless you GD.

2nd- I really think his brain is effed up.

bazil9 on October 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Axlerod has binders full of squirrels.

crosspatch on October 19, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I spoke with a woman tonight from Iran–she lived there until 2010 and left a few months after the revolution. We spoke about women in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and their true plights, and then also the utter absurdity of these politicians who seem to think that women here are persecuted for some reason. It was great to speak with her because she had to leave her country for a better life. She mentioned nothing about the need for birth control as justification for that decision.

ted c on October 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Criminy. They’re acting like Romney said “burkas.” Oh, wait, that would be ok, right? ‘Cause that’s a muslim thing.

natasha333 on October 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Seriously, when was the last US Presidential election where they used Props on stage???

How desperate does this look?

portlandon on October 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Perot or does a graph constitute a prop?

Resist We Much on October 19, 2012 at 8:27 PM

The dog ate my binder -Obama

kenny on October 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM

You’ve captured the very essence of this campaign and the Left. This goes on the wall with some of your great baseball metaphors.

INC on October 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM

EIGHTEEN DAYS!!! Again, I feel like a little kid waiting for Santa. Only instead of *knowing* Santa will come through like he always does, it’s possible I could wake up with a big lump of coal in my stocking on Nov. 7. I can’t take much more of this waiting.

Nikkia2112 on October 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM

bazil9 on October 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Greetings, my dear and forever friend.

GBY, too.

GrannyDee on October 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM

scalleywag on October 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Yep it’s called a “reach”.

Desperation.

CW on October 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

This election is over.

blatantblue on October 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Biden is one big binder.

kenny on October 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM

He’s the cheese that binds. Biden, o yeaa

kenny on October 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Bo Bo daaaa clownnnnn !!

Hummer53 on October 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Youngsters, cheating in school just doesn’t pay eventually- Yer Prez

kenny on October 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM

“Binders” Biden.

Yeah, it has a real ring to it. (ba dum bump!!)

dissent555 on October 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

First it was they’ll put y’all back in chains.

Now its, they’ll stick you into binders.

What next? They’ll make you Ambassador to Libya?

ajacksonian on October 19, 2012 at 8:52 PM

‘Toon of the Day: MSM: People Died. Obama Lied. We’re OK With That.

Resist We Much on October 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM

OH MY GOD! HOW CAN ANY SINGLE PERSON BE SOOOO EFFING STUPID. (Eighteen more days, eighteen…………….)

flackcatcher on October 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I must have caught a totally different response, I thought I heard Romney indicate he went to woman’s groups in Mass to fill cabinet posts with qualified woman and they supplied him with binders full of qualified woman. He did not put them in binders woman’s groups did. Notice also they don’t mention the percent of women in his cabinet or their pay.

RonK on October 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Does Obama have Beyonce in Binder Bondage in his binders?

Does JayZ know?

Resist We Much on October 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM

scalleywag on October 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

It reminds me just of Frank Burns.

toby11 on October 19, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Joe “Barnum” Biden.

farsighted on October 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM

…one heartbeat away from the Presidency!

KOOLAID2 on October 19, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Biden now waving binders around during his stump speech

Yeah, but the burning question of the day is:

Has Joey remembered to zip his fly?

GarandFan on October 19, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Joe “Barnum” Biden.

farsighted on October 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I don’t care what you say about me, just spell my name right.”
― P.T. Barnum

“Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public.”
― P.T. Barnum

“There’s a sucker born every minute.”
― P.T. Barnum

farsighted on October 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Well, rack this up as a data point in the “lies vs. fantasy world” debate.

Count to 10 on October 19, 2012 at 10:58 PM

LMAO…..you could have stopped here:

’nuff said.

Tim_CA on October 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Ain’t that the truth.

tenxthinking on October 19, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Hey Bite Me,
How about all those “binders” full of cables from the now dead guys in Benghazi warning you and Barky of the attack that killed them? Ass-Hat…

Strike Hornet on October 20, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Every time they mention “binders” thousands of women are reminded that Romney went far out of his way to make sure women were fairly represented in his administration. Now if they would only make jokes about Obama’s White House being a hostile workplace for women – according to one of his own people. That Joe Biden, he’ll laugh at anything!

topdog on October 20, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Is it just me? First, the Left creates this evil twin demon “the Koch Brothers” meme, and now its a stupid binder. Is the Left this intellectually deficient? Is this all they got?

(Yeah, I know. Rhetorical questions)

BigAlSouth on October 20, 2012 at 5:13 AM

Ok guys, I know I must be stupid, naive, or both. But I don’t get the whole binder thing. Why are the Dems so offended by binders? Yes, I watched the debate, but I can’t even stretch my mind to see a negative in what Romney said.

CableDude on October 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I’ve been trying to find out, myself.
Most here have the ‘women in binders’ idea about right … Keeping women in binders, BOUND, somehow. WHA??
But don’t forget the other part of what Mitt said about this subject … he was not only sensitive to the women’s need for flexible schedules, BUT … he then said ‘so they can be home soon enought TO COOK DINNER FOR THE FAMILY !!!! OMG !!! ‘he wants them all barefoot & preggers !’
I kid you not … It’s out there, and just as stupid as the rest of it.
Egads, what a load of BS !!
DESPERATION, for sure !!
Bring it !

pambi on October 20, 2012 at 10:15 AM

If he wanted to use prop-comedy Slow Joe would make more of an “impact” by swinging heavy wooden mallets at watermelons. Of course that would be a form of plagiarism, but that’s proven to be no hindrance to The Gaffemaster.

SKYFOX on October 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM

pambi on October 20, 2012 at 10:15 AM

As I understand it, the fact that Romney referred to “binders full of women” instead of “binders full of resumes of women” proves that women are lesser objects to him and he doesn’t really care about their concerns. Yes, it’s a whole new level of desperation for the Dems, but what else have they got…their record?

SKYFOX on October 20, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Know what desperation smells like?

Big Bird crapping a plastic binder . . .

BigAlSouth on October 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM

INC on October 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM

This is the essence of the campaign

Animal60 on October 20, 2012 at 2:04 PM

SKYFOX on October 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM

You said watermelon…..you must be a “racist”

Animal60 on October 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Here comes Joe, with blinders.

Kenosha Kid on October 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM

In my town of 200,000 a liberal candidate for 1 of 3 open city council seats sent a mailer that says that city voters “have three IMPORTANT REASONS to vote in this election”:

1. Education
2. The Environment
3. Reproductive rights

Yep. City council seat. The liberals have nothin’ so they revert to the old dog whistles for the die hard.

Reminds me of the Buck Henry skit on SNL as a talk radio announcer trying to goad his listeners to call in to his show:

“Tonight’s topic is “Federally Supported Municipal Bonds — Yes or No?” I’m Frank Noland and I want you to talk to me about federally supported municipal bonds. Call me now at one of these toll-free numbers…”

after getting no calls he then says:

“And our first topic tonight is, and has been “Federally Supported Municipal Bonds — Yes or No?” Hey! But that’s not the only issue I’m prepared to talk about tonight. How ’bout this one? “Forced Busing — Yes or No?”

then

“Here’s another issue that may interest you: “Soviet Communism — Let’s Give It a Chance”!

then

“How ’bout this? “Killing Puppies — It Doesn’t Bother Me” … That’s me, Frank Noland, and I LIKE dead puppies! Frankly, I’m totally in favor of using federally supported municipal bonds to pay for forced busing of Soviet Communists to come into your homes to kill your puppies! Give me a call, won’t you? The lines are open. Tell ME what you think about it. [lights his cigarette, mumbles to himself] Dead, mangled puppies … I like ‘em … ”

then

Okay. While you’re thinking about THOSE topics, here are a half a dozen others which I, Frank Noland, am personally in favor of. “Adolf Hitler — Boy, Do We Need Him Now”! Huh? What about that? Hey, “Incest — I Practice It, Why Don’t You?” Give me a call. Talk to me about it. [A sympathetic woman enters and joins Frank] “No Toilets for the Blind”? Call me! Call me, if you’re watching! And, and–

Mrs. Noland: Frank? Frank, honey?

Frank Noland: “The Ozone Layer — Let’s Get Rid of It”!

Mrs. Noland: Frank, honey. Honey, let’s go home.

Frank Noland: How ’bout “Suicide — Fun for the Elderly”? [The sympathetic woman gently guides Frank out of his chair and offscreen] I– I– What happened? Nobody called. I don’t understand it. What about nuns? We could do something about nuns… [As they exit, funky theme music begins and we zoom in on the "Talk Back" logo.]

Announcer: Join us again tomorrow on “Talk Back”! Frank Noland talks to the public! You, the public, talk to Frank Noland! He listens on “Talk Back”!

[Dissolve to the applauding audience. A superimposition reads: COMING UP NEXT: NEW HOPE FOR THE TERMINALLY CURIOUS]

in_awe on October 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Someone needs to be at every Biden event with this poster:

Did someone say Binders full of Women?

opaobie on October 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Joe Biden is the punch line to a very bad joke.

ActinUpinTexas on October 21, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Careful, Joe, you really don’t want voters to find out what was in those binders…

ITguy on October 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM