Whoopi Goldberg to Ann Romney: Hey, isn’t it true that Mormons don’t serve in the military?

posted at 7:21 pm on October 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

If this were any other show, I’d assume that the interviewer knew the answer and was just playing dumb as an excuse to fling this accusation. But this is “The View” so … right, Whoopi probably really didn’t know and didn’t care enough to check. It took me roughly 80 seconds of googling to find a recent news story listing the number of Mormon service members — 18,141 as of 2009 — but apparently that’s too much effort for a Barbara Walters production when interviewing the would-be First Lady in the middle of a tight election race. I’m actually pleasantly surprised that Whoopi didn’t follow up by asking how many wives Mitt has. Maybe Barbara pulled her aside before the show and set her straight on that, knowing that she might very well walk into that rhetorical doorknob too if not steered away from it.

For the record: Although Romney obtained religious and academic deferments for Vietnam in the 1960s, he did enter the draft lottery in 1970. He drew a high number. But consider this an early warning signal that the “chickenhawk” crapola from the Bush years will be back in force if/when he’s sworn in, even though The One ordered an escalation in Afghanistan, an intervention in Libya, and drone strikes aplenty all over the globe without ever having served himself. If Whoopi and her lefty friends want military service as a prerequisite for the presidency, step up and start pushing for a constitutional amendment. Otherwise this is pure partisan politics, nothing more. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Dude…

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

From a classless santorum snorting puke like you?

Rich.

CW on October 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Romney: Five sons and not one has served in the military.

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Democrat “Vice President” Joe Biden: 5-Time Draft Dodger.

Del Dolemonte on October 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Whoopi looked ridiculous.

Ann Romney answered her perfectly.

It will be a pleasure to see her as first lady. The last 4 years have seemed like a decade. Hard to take.

I think it’s going to happen, people. I smell it in the air. Even here in NJ.

I think the Dems, the media and Obama know it. It’s over.

I think the only question now is how badly Obama will lose. Will it be a complete embarrassment or not.

(Note: I never think my candidate will win (lol), so I am not talking with rose colored glasses.)

Elisa on October 18, 2012 at 9:09 PM

… two ridiculous brats…
jimver on October 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Dude…

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

if you honestly think those girls arent going to grow up to think the world owes them everything then you have mental issues. their parents send them on vacations 2-3 times per year that the average american would have to save up for a lifetime to take… they are way beyond spoiled and will be a nightmare for some poor joe when they grow up

katee bayer on October 18, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Whoopi Goldberg is named after a gag toy that makes farting noises.

But we should take her seriously and respect her O-pinions.

Key West Reader on October 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Reminds me of an old joke, -the native child asking his parents how names are chosen.

slickwillie2001 on October 18, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Isn’t it true that Whoopie doesn’t have any Eyebrows? I also believe Whoopie is a lesbian and likes to seduce younger women and she has a special affection for supermarket cucumbers. Whoopie likes Obumbler because he is black and nothing else and Whoppie is an azzhole.

Tbone McGraw on October 18, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Survey USA poll of Minnesota…

Obama 50
Romney 40

gumbyandpokey on October 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM

… two ridiculous brats…
jimver on October 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Dude…

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Oh, what? Some candidates kids are off limits?

Thanks Captain Hypocrisy.

hawkdriver on October 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM

We took over for a Utah Guard unit in Basra. Yep, Mormans serve in the military. And they don’t run quite as many clandestine breweries.

So, Whoopi, let’s talk about blacks and foodstamps and free phones. Maybe you could bust that stereotype for me.

M240H on October 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Didn’t Barbara Walters and Whoopi Goldberg have careers once?

Murf76 on October 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Dude…

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

WHAT it’s just an observation, Lighten Up, Frances.

I assume they WILL be serving, right?

JFKY on October 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM

… two ridiculous brats…
jimver on October 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Dude…

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

dude, what…let’ em get out there, in the real world and serve, if you are so concerned with this…my wife’s a young Capt in the Air Force, just like Prince Harry, since you mention it…they can do the same, no?…a few more years and hope you’re coming back on this thread to report abut their service…

jimver on October 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Survey USA poll of Minnesota…

Obama 50
Romney 40

gumbyandpokey on October 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM

And yet, now Romney has a lead in Electoral Votes, too.

JFKY on October 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Romney: Five sons and not one has served in the military.

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Is that all that men are good for, in your eyes?

thebrokenrattle on October 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM

*sigh*

I remember the quality of your posts prior to Mitt Romney winning the nomination.

I may not have always agreed, but, you seemed to be a standup guy with well-reasoned posts.

It always makes me sad to see that you’re now doing schoolyard level taunt posts. I’m hopeful that it’s just a phase (or that someone’s hijacked your login and you’ll be back to your old self as soon as you recover it).

JadeNYU on October 18, 2012 at 7:56 PM

He was that way the full year before Romney won, he’s a bully and a fool.

thebrokenrattle on October 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

gumbyandpokey on October 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Oh look, it looks like someone at Hotair has taken over the second shift as the fake-troll-hit-generator.

Ring-a-ding-ding.

M240H on October 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Is that all that men are good for, in your eyes?

thebrokenrattle on October 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM

No if they are Democrats, taxes, misogyny, class warfare, race-baiting are useful skills.

JFKY on October 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

jimver on October 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM

It’s one thing to hate the President, but what have his daughters ever done to deserve the name calling?

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I don’t know might ask the Bush daughters, but thank you for your concern.

JFKY on October 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Gumby you’re desperate….

so how is Obama doing among the hermaphrodite trolls?

CW on October 18, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I don’t know might ask the Bush daughters, but thank you for your concern.

JFKY on October 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Chump was all over the Bush haters and that BS because Chump is a stand up type of person…

errr wait a minute…

I love how the losers like Chump latch onto one person’s comment to distract from the entire thread….

old.tired.tactic.

CW on October 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I don’t know might ask the Bush daughters, but thank you for your concern.

JFKY on October 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

1. I didn’t ask you.
2. You comment was an non-sequitur.

Bugger off.

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Mormon, Amish, all those Christians are weird.

/leftist mentality (sorry if it’s a repeat, was out to dinner.)

rbj on October 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Awww someone’s fweelings were hurt.

Sheesh you’re useful.

CW on October 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Chump I AM enjoying your desperation….I fear for anyone that lives with you as this election nears….you whack jobs are something.

CW on October 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I don’t know might ask the Bush daughters, but thank you for your concern.

JFKY on October 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

1. I didn’t ask you.
2. You comment was an non-sequitur.

Bugger off.

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM

You didn’t ask me, who DID you ask? No you just made a statement, to the world, the world pushed back, sorry.

And OBVIOUSLY it wasn’t a non-sequitur, because you are all butt-hurt about it…

I’ll be sure to laugh at you more, now.

JFKY on October 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I’ll be sure to laugh at you more, now.

JFKY on October 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM

And I’ll be sure to ignore your posts.

Starting now.

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

And I’ll be sure to ignore your posts.

Starting now.

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

OK, Sport…I’ll just count that as a victoire over Chumpster…

JFKY on October 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Whoopi probably really didn’t know and didn’t care enough to check.

And she’s counting on her viewers to be just as dumb as she is.

GarandFan on October 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

And she’s counting on her viewers to be just as dumb as she is.

GarandFan on October 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

There more people that dumb? I mean say besides ChumpThreads or Gumby…

JFKY on October 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Whoopi Goldberg is named after a gag toy that makes farting noises.

But we should take her seriously and respect her O-pinions.

Key West Reader on October 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Whoppie constantly asks “Do farts have lumps ?”

Wade on October 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Mormon, Amish, all those Christians are weird.

/leftist mentality (sorry if it’s a repeat, was out to dinner.)

rbj on October 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM

That’s IT . . . . . Christians to WAR !

Is there an embassy that represents rbj, somewhere around here that we could attack? . . . . . . Or something?

listens2glenn on October 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Whoopi probably really didn’t know and didn’t care enough to check.

And she’s counting on her viewers to be just as dumb as she is.

GarandFan on October 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I can’t speak for the TV audience of The View, but the studio audience members are at least as dumb as she is … or worse.

listens2glenn on October 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM

jimver on October 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Excuse me, ‘brat’ is name calling?? Then you’re more of a pathetic whiner than I thought. I call my 4-year old twin nieces ‘brats’, which they are, on top of wonderful and adorable. As for ‘ridiculous’, it’s a mild qualifier, nothing offensive, anybody who lives a cocooned, sheltered life is ridiculous in their own way, until they get to experience something on their own, and something real for that matter. so, take your faux outrage somewhere else. Don’t even get me started with the name calling your ilk reserved to the Bush twins.

jimver on October 18, 2012 at 10:20 PM

jimver on October 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Oh, and btw, genius, I don’t hate anybody, not even this pathetic fraud currently in the WH. I despise him, and I have no respect for a hugely incompetent moron and liar like him, but hate him, neah….he is not worth that kind of passion…

jimver on October 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Jimver, I think Chump and Gumby have come and gone…Gumby just for a second to deliver his silly Turd of a statistic and Chump got manhandled and decided that his/her hair needed shampoo’ing.

JFKY on October 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Yes, and we all know how the Whoopster’s homunculus-king loooooves the military.

The Evil Doctor K on October 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Romney: Five sons and not one has served in the military.

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

But of course, you bashed and mocked Sarah Palin when her son did.

So you’re a lying bigot and a hypocrite.

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Oh, did you miss what you and your fellow trash Obama supporters said about Sarah Palin’s children?

So you’re a lying bigot and a hypocrite.

Hey chumpy, just for the rest of us, say right here: Sasha and Malia Obama can be treated exactly the same way that you treated Sarah Palin’s children.

Or are Malia and Sasha so helpless, such fragile little flowers, that they can’t take the abuse you heap on conservatives’ children?

Such double standards and lies. Typical of Barack Obama, the grifter king.

northdallasthirty on October 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Survey USA poll of Minnesota…

Obama 50
Romney 40

gumbyandpokey on October 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Ummmm, D+10 sample
Rep 27%
Dem 37%
Ind 30%

And this link explains why such a sample is BS.

Thanks for the meatball pitch over home plate G and B. It’s been put into low orbit.

Hard Right on October 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Democrats’ war on Ann Romney.

BuckeyeSam on October 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Survey USA poll of Minnesota…

Obama 50
Romney 40

gumbyandpokey on October 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM

…on a thread about the View…the Mooch…and Ann…why am I seeing this on all the threads I am reviewing?

KOOLAID2 on October 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM

For whatever reason I found myself watching Lawrence O’Donnell on MSNBC just a few minutes ago. Referencing this segment on the view O’Donnell had a meltdown like I’ve never seen before, primarily aimed at the Romney sons that ended with Larry challenging the eldest Romney son to a fight. Amazing. It was junior high all over again. Act of desperation is the only way I can explain it.

tyrex on October 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM

So much happened during the Vietnam war, so much good, so much wrong…and every person who dodged the draft, someone had to take their place.

Biden, Romney, Cheney, and many others dodged their responsibilities, and others took their place…it was wrong, unfair, but it was a mistake from decades ago, in another time, another place in history.

Every one who did not serve has an excuse…a valid reason in their mind as to why they didn’t serve…but it was so long ago, but still, the facts are stubborn, for everyone who dodged, someone served in their place…and over 58,000 of our service men (almost boys) died, they are the ones that should be honored.

right2bright on October 19, 2012 at 12:53 AM

1. I didn’t ask you.
2. You comment was an non-sequitur.

Bugger off.

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Still waitin’ to hear about your service, chumpy.

You did serve, didn’t you? Since you’re soundin’ all self-righteous and morally superior, and all.

Where did you ever serve. When did you ever see any combat? Or are you just another feather-merchant?

Solaratov on October 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Did Whoopi serve?

Did Obama?

Did Michelle?

Did Joe Biden?

NcCain did, and they all didn’t vote for him, so it’s simply Dem b.s.

profitsbeard on October 19, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Survey USA poll of Minnesota…

Wowser. First time I have ever seen Obama at or above 50%. This is a very strong indication of data manipulation.

Keep the home fires burning G&P. Remember, you can always hope . . .

LMAO

BigAlSouth on October 19, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Having a high draft number does not preclude you from enlisting to serve in a war for which you have publicly demonstrated support. Personal responsibility. Someone else’s personal responsibility.

plewis on October 19, 2012 at 7:49 AM

M1911
M2
M1917
M1918
M1919
M4

The Mormon community could hold a week honoring the man with so many military weapons to his credit in such diverse capabilities.

Not just in military arms but in the hunting, sports shooting and self-defense areas, as well.

John Moses Browning.

First firearms patent at age 13.

Hard to find someone as dedicated to the craft and supporting the US in this most vital of fields… and yet, even in the firearms community, few know he was a Mormon. Really, shouldn’t this be just a bit better known so we don’t get asshattery like we see on display from Whoopi?

ajacksonian on October 19, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Do muslim thugs from Chicago serve in the military ?

burrata on October 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM

They do now since the military is now bathhouse friendly.

Nutstuyu on October 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM

plewis on October 19, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I’m sure you’re referring to King Barry, who would also have his vast “international” creds to offer.

Nutstuyu on October 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Survey USA poll of Minnesota…

Obama 50
Romney 40

gumbyandpokey on October 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Nutstuyu Poll of driving around Liberal-Bastion-Twin-Cities-Suburbs Bloomington, Minnesota:

Obama yard signs 12
Romney yard signs 41

Nutstuyu on October 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Gee Whoopi, is it true that blacks run faster because they have an extra bone in their legs?

Goldberg asked John McCain if blacks would be forced back into slavery if he became president. She’s not stupid. She’s a Progressive and a thoroughly nasty one at that. There is no smear too ugly for them to use.

RobertE on October 19, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Tough crowd (and sh1tty hosts). It took some serious guts by Mrs. Romney to walk into that den of leftwing aggression. She handled it very gracefully though. What a fantastic lady.

AlexB on October 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I think Whoops was confusing Mormons with Quakers (Society of Friends) but was too “intellectually lazy” to research.

BigAlSouth on October 19, 2012 at 10:27 AM

To dumass status-far-outweighs-her-talent lefties like Whoopi (whose name gives her a marginally deeper gravitas-deficit than “Candy”) anyone who’s not a Muslim must be a Quaker. She, like Matthews, is stuck on Nixon, and oh yeah stupid. Mm hm.

curved space on October 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Hey Whoopi -

Correct me if I’m wrong, but they served as many years as Obama and Biden did.

EB

EdmundBurke247 on October 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Seemed to me there were a lot back in the day.

I guys I knew at Hopkins bought medical deferments. The same trash that claps for Whoopi. Perhaps name identification.

Denver Bob on October 19, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Mrs. Romney fielded that one quit well, I thought, both in word and facial expression. I really enjoyed it. :)

Bob's Kid on October 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Did Whoopie ask about Obama’s fake selective service card or anything about Obama’s religon? Answer – NO.

Amazingoly on October 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Whoopi Goldberg is not only the ugliest woman in America, she’s also the dumbest.

RebeccaH on October 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I am always amazed when decent God fearing Conservatives actually go on the view at all, but I guess if we honestly want to say that we are trying to reach all Americans you have to lift every rock.
I will admit years ago I enjoyed Joy Behar and Whoopi’s comedy but I never watch them anymore because I only hear liberal rantings. Once the entertainers decide to use their celebrity to push an agenda our relationship ends.

Ann you are a class act and I can’t wait to see you as the FIRST LADY.

SgtRed on October 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Ok..let’s see some truth..and this is for Whoopie and the Hotair trolls. I am 62 years old; native Utah and a Mormon. I had many high school mates who served in many different services in the 1960 and 70s. I knew a few who were seriously wounded in Vietnam…4 didn’t come home. I know of hundreds of us (from Utah) who served from WWI (of course, these I remember from my kidhood; my great uncle was a POW), WWII, Korea, Vietnam…the little wars of the 1980s..the first Gulf War and the current wars (including my son). I was drafted and a grunt in the 1st Cav…2 Bronze Stars, Combat Air Medal, Purple Heart…and others. And guess what? Only for Whoopie and the trolls, most everyone I mentioned are Mormons.

By the way, my 3X great grandma…in her journal, spoke about her and her young lady friends running into the cornfields outside Navuoo, Ill, in 1846, to gather up unexploded cannon balls. Hauling them back to the Mormon lines, so the Mormon men could load the Mormon cannons to fire back at the Illinois militia (who later sacked the city and confiscated all the Mormon property). Is just me, or does this sound like Mormons have a problem with a fight when necessary…..

norm1111 on October 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Incredible, Whoopi. Ya’ll need to talk to Tom Hanks. He made this movie about 4 Mormon brothers who were killed within six months of each other in WWII. The fifth brother was found and sent home. They are buried in Tremonton, Utah, right down from my parents and grandparents.

This family and the Sullivans were the reason for the one surviving child can’t serve law.

Portia46 on October 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Amazingoly on October 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Obama and gang have actually dragged out Romney’s garbage man to say Romney hadn’t hugged him, so the ONLY reason these slimeballs haven’t attacked Romney’s religion overtly is because they know Black Liberation and the Rev Wright are fertile fields that simply haven’t been plowed yet. And after reading Hillbuzz, I’ve got an inkling WHY. No one in Chicago wants that looked into.

Portia46 on October 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Mormon Vs. Moron.

gordo on October 19, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Click the image to watch.

Thank you, no.

davidk on October 19, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I would never be so presumptuous as to pretend like I represent the church but I would be doing so many of you a disservice if I did not express the heartfelt gratitude of one Mormon man.

I just finished reading all of the comments for this post and I was overwhelmed to have my opinions reaffirmed. It is clear that the vast majority of people that frequent this site are not only well informed but they are accepting, kind, and generous with their praise.

Some of you may know that I was not an initial supporter of Governor Romney and was vocal about my concerns. However, when he became our candidate I fell in to line and have been pleasantly surprised by his speeches, debates, and representation of the party and of our common faith.

I want to mention that I served in the Coast Guard for 5 years during the late 80′s and early 90′s and was honorably discharged. I consider myself fortunate to have served (even though i get a lot of good natured ribbing from vets of other branches) and fortunate to associate with the great people who write and read Hot Air. You are the backbone of America and I take pride in your service, insight, and knowledge. I always learn so much. Thank you all again.

Mormon Doc on October 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM