Video: Romney roasts Obama at the Al Smith Dinner

posted at 10:01 pm on October 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, I haven’t watched the clip yet but I’m told Mitt killed. In fact, judging from the introductions, sounds like everyone killed:

When you’re done laughing, go read this. Another bunch of 2008 Obama supporters turns red. Exit quotation from O, describing Tingles’s reaction to the first debate: “I want to apologize to Chris Matthews. The first time I gave him a thrill up his leg, this time I gave him a stroke.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Now is not the time to be mamby pamby nicey nice. An election and
this country’s future is at stake. Romney can play nice with
him after Obama is defeated.

Amjean on October 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Right on!

happytobehere on October 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Amjean on October 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM

an eye for an eye.. a tooth for a tooth.. and eventually we’re all blind gumming our dinners, bitter and angry and lost.

WashingtonsWake on October 19, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Bet she dropped a couple in that over-sized purse for that final trip to Hawaii.

msupertas on October 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Just in from Las Vegas:

The over/under on “the number of lobsters stuffed into mooch’s purse” is 5.

Tim_CA on October 19, 2012 at 12:22 AM

msupertas on October 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM

October 2000: Gore vs. Bush

Compare and contrast. They are both just as cutting in their remarks.

JPeterman on October 18, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Do you believe Mitt was as good tonight as GWB was then? I haven’t seen it in years, but I remember thinking at the time that GWB was exceptionally good, and that Gore wasn’t bad, either.

I am going to watch them both in a little bit.

Anti-Control on October 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I think Mitt had better speech writing… Dennis Miller perhaps.

Dasher on October 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing. Many zingers sound Milleresque.

kscheuller on October 19, 2012 at 1:06 AM

“Headline, ‘Obama embraced by Catholics. Romney dines with rich people…Obama’s advice to Pope Benedict, ‘Look, Holy Father, whatever the problem is, just blame it on Pope John Paul II.’” great stuff!

kscheuller on October 19, 2012 at 1:09 AM

You almost have to wonder how it is that the same person who spoke such good-natured, self-deprecating jokes could have run what history will see as one of the most vile, mean-spirited, and divisive Presidential campaigns in our nation’s history. Duality of personality, perhaps, combined with the blind hatred of conservatives by those puppetmasters who’ve pulled Obozo’s strings since Day 1.

OneVision on October 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM

That is Obama. He is a chameleon. He has a public face and a private face. Once he got out of the view of the cameras, I’m sure smoke was coming out of his ears. Obama probably went home and double underlined Mitt’s name on his list of enemies.

suburbanite on October 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Now is not the time to be mamby pamby nicey nice. An election and this country’s future is at stake. Romney can play nice with him after Obama is defeated.

Amjean on October 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM

When considering Fast & Furious, his behavior regarding the oil leak in the Gulf, the Delphi pension thievery, and at least 1000 other corruptions, I say that Mitt shouldn’t even play nice with him then.

I am not saying this out of bitterness – my experience in life is that showing mercy prematurely i.e. before someone expresses real repentence, is a mistake that will haunt you.

Anti-Control on October 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Best line of the night:
“I wish I could use my middle name.”

chumpThreads

Yeah, implying that the millions of Americans you represent are a bunch of bigots just never gets old, lol.

xblade on October 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM

To those saying Mitt was too mean or whatever, chill out. Jeez. He poked at himself, at the prez, at the media, then concluded by being very complimentary to Obama, the same guy who accused him of killing a woman. It was all good natured.

I agree.

Also, Mitt only joked with facts. It’s just unfortunate for Obama that those facts are unfavorable to him. As long as Mitt didn’t pick some trivial words from Obama’s debate or speech and turned them into denigrating jabs like O and his media lap dogs are doing with “binder”, I don’t find Mitt’s jokes mean.

If he didn’t go all out for the laugh, there will be screams “he’s boring” and such.

vnohara on October 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM

One of my favorite lines from Romney was the one near the end about unborn children.
It wasn’t a joke. It was a hard fastball thrown high and tight towards Obama and liberal Catholics who look the other way and let politics jusitfy their hypocracy on the issue.

MichaelGabriel on October 19, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I haven’t read all the comments here yet, but I just watched the clip and agree that the way Mitt moved from the funny bits to talking about family–and that he could differ with Obama’s policies and still respect him as a person and not have ill will toward him–to his comment about life being more that just about politics–and then, finally, to social justice and serving others less fortunate including unborn children . . . .well, that just was powerful.

Reminded me a bit of Mother Theresa talking about abortion (“Give me your unwanted children! I will take them!”) at that one presidential prayer breakfast event during the Clinton era where lots of Democrats wouldn’t stand up or clap or anything. I noticed Katie Couric’s very tepid applause after Mitt’s comment, and the two guys behind Mitt (should I know them?) were stone-faced and continued to drink coffee. (Must not clap at a pro-life line ). I agree with the commenter above who said Mitt reminded him of Reagan. I feel the same way when I hear him speak. This is a very good man.

pianomomma on October 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I thought Romney was unnecessarily nasty for a stage like this. Imo, self deprecation with a few good natured jabs at your opponent is the way to go here.

LukeinNE on October 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM

There is a difference between “poignant” and “nasty”. Nasty is when an actor makes a joke about anal sex on a prospective First lady. Nasty is when a late night comedian calls a candidate a “cunt”, or when a host jokes about what can only be described as child rape on the daughter of a candidate. Nasty is a a group exploiting the death of a woman just to call the opponent a killer.

Poignant is being sharp and to the point without insulting. There was nothing insulting about Romney’s speech. He didn’t even attacked Obama the man but rather his policies as a politician. And the only reason it seems to you to be out of place is because the entertainment inducstry and the media have shielded Obama from any criticism.

ptcamn on October 19, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Romney is turning out to be a real mensch.

claudius on October 19, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Best line of the night:
“I wish I could use my middle name.”

chumpThreads

Yeah, it was so great when he used it back in 2008 that he just had to haul it out again. Because you know, there’s nothing funnier than implying that everyone else is a bigot. That one never gets old.

HTL on October 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I didn’t see Moochelle there. I was looking for her.
Did she show up?

Typicalwhitewoman on October 19, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Mitt knocked them dead! Obama looked like 1st Debate Deja Vu. Even Mrs. Fritz, the token liberal in our house, said that Obama wasn’t funny, that he looked tired or disinterested, and that he looked like he didn’t want to be there.

Clear win for Mitt tonight. Clips from his piece will be played over and over again during the next several days and voters will warm up to him even more.

Old Fritz on October 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Yes, but this why it won’t be played over and over again in the next several days.

kit9 on October 19, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Romney did a beautiful job. He seemed humble, friendly, and very sincere especially at the end. He delivered his lines well and intelligently. I think others who see his speech will find themselves liking him more and more.

cheetah2 on October 19, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Amjean on October 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM

WashingtonsWake on October 19, 2012 at 1:01 AM

All well and good, unless of course, you ignore the evil done to you and gum panicy breathes of air while the coldly efficient “Death Panel” he created is considering your fate.

Don L on October 19, 2012 at 2:44 AM

…Obama wasn’t funny, that he looked tired or disinterested, and that he looked like he didn’t want to be there….

Old Fritz on October 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Wouldn’t you just love to to play poker with old scowl and pucker-up lips.You could just either watch his chin jut out and his imaginary halo glow or watch his face scowl to know exactly how to play your hand.
With all that Hollywood acting support, you’d think someone would teach him how to hide his inner self.

Don L on October 19, 2012 at 2:51 AM

I said earlier why I didn’t care for Romney’s speech, but didn’t really flesh it out. 3 hours on the road (welcome to Nebraska) kinda helped me put it all together.

Imho, two issues:

1. Distribution of jabs. I think a good rule of thumb here is that you shouldn’t go after your opponent more than you go after yourself. I think the ability for a politician to make fun of himself shows self assurance and good naturedness. To me it felt like Obama had about a 1.5:1 ratio of self deprecation to Romney burns. Romney’s ratio felt more like 5:1 going the other way.

2. Nature of jokes. I think the funniest jokes are the ones that go after personal foibles and stupid campaign related stuff, not serious political things. E.G. Romney’s rich, Obama golfs alot, Biden’s the crazy old uncle, Obama got streamrolled in the first debate, Romney’s got awesome hair etc. I didn’t really appreciate all the stuff about Obama’s failures. Romney’s right, of course, but I’ve never found America failing to be funny, and I felt there were better ways to go about it than couching campaign talking points into a comedic speech thats supposed to mostly put politics aside for a night for the greater good.

LukeinNE on October 19, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Mitt was hilarious. Ojesus was funny.

I realize that these are mostly written by others, but the timing of the delivery is everything. I think that both did well, but I also think that Romney’s natural delivery was so much more effective than Ojesus’ usual preacher-man cadence that works so well for him at rallies full of adoring acolytes, but is off-putting for those of us who want to see the man behind the curtain.

hillbillyjim on October 19, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Best line of the night:
“I wish I could use my middle name.”

chumpThreads

What’s stopping him? It isn’t the First Amendment that’s holding him back, I’ll wager.

Use it. Encourage him to put his middle name on his campaign literature.

It doesn’t matter.

If Charles Manson were running against the One, he would probably be running away with the polls at this point, given the abysmal performance of your idol.

What is it about that particular line that sends a tingle up your leg, chumpy? Do tell.

hillbillyjim on October 19, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Imho, two issues:

Heh. If The One We’ve Been Waiting For is re-elected, he can just redistribute the jokes to level the playing field for a more just outcome.

Ah, feel the love of Social Justice.

___________________________________________________________________

Actually, I think you’re correct in your assertion that Romney would have served himself better by being more self-deprecating in this circumstance. Given the tilt of the table, however, he’s got to take every shot that presents.

hillbillyjim on October 19, 2012 at 3:36 AM

OBAMA WAS NOT FUNNY. ONE LAUGH LINE. PERIOD.

pat on October 19, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Boy-o does Mitt wash up nice. Put him out in white ties more often and you’ll definitely have the DWTS vote.

ExPat on October 19, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Chris Mattehews to Obama: They were polite fake laughs.
Chris Matthews to the waiter: YOu are gonna serve him water? BS only I carry his water.

During Romneys hard hits Obama leans in to the Cardinal: Is it pronounced CATH-o-lic or Catholic.

Obama has given up. He got to his high point. He plays the game like he’s interested. He’s still fighting for the luxary life. But hes done. Clinton is fighting to regain that spot. And that is the best example of being power hungrey.

Gedge on October 19, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Romney is turning out to be a real mensch.
claudius on October 19, 2012 at 1:34 AM

While Romney will inevitably grow in the job of POTUS, he has always been a mensch. The path to power would have been very easy for him had he chosen to be a Democrat. As I explained here 6 months ago (ad nauseum), you don’t somehow become a wealthy venture capitalist without being a very accomplished and powerful person.

I am of course delighted that what was once a decidedly minority position is now gaining favor. I was scoffed at when I said he was the most qualified person to run for the presidency in 200 years. Romney is exactly what America needs now.

Tonight we saw the candidates’ internal polls.

Basilsbest on October 19, 2012 at 4:48 AM

WHOAAAA!!

I am halfway through the video, and have NEVER seen anything like it, even at an Al Smith roast.

Rommey just eviscerates 0bama.

It’s not funny. It’s not a roast:

It’s just blood.

PURE BLOOD.

I am actually embarrassed to keep watching.

Romney, from the first 5 minutes, is just flat-out disemboweling the president… to his face….. as the president sips tea.

Insane.

cane_loader on October 19, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Imho, two issues:

LukeinNE on October 19, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Your points would be valid if 90% of the audience wasn’t in the tank for the jabee and the other 10% easily intimidated.

After the MSM tried to steal this election for Obama with their brutal coverage and corrupt polls I’m giving Mitt a lot of slack on a night like this. As for Obama’s failures, perhaps if Mitt’s dinner companions had done their job there would have been so many of them.

I haven’t appreciated the media covering Obama’s failures for the last 3.75 years.

Basilsbest on October 19, 2012 at 5:05 AM

cane_loader on October 19, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Watching Romney give it to Obama with a gun, a knife and even his bare hands was indeed funny. For once Mitt had a level playing field and even though he got to speak last the bloviator was too wounded to respond.

Basilsbest on October 19, 2012 at 5:11 AM

Just watched some highlights of the evening…..Romney stole the show. My favorite part was where Romney “complimented” the media’s reporting skills—or lack of them.

Rovin on October 19, 2012 at 5:21 AM

Gedge on October 19, 2012 at 4:28 AM

I get your point, but it’s more than that. It’s about the power and adulation that goes with being The President. Once defeated, Mr. Hussein Obama will retire to Hawaii and sulk for the rest of his miserable life, just as many professional athletes, when their playing days are over.

BigAlSouth on October 19, 2012 at 5:52 AM

I prefer laughing at Obama than with him.

Sherman1864 on October 19, 2012 at 6:07 AM

You’ve got some pretty high standards of “clean” humor, dude. Taking all the teeth out of your humor makes it not funny. Besides, all the jokes were light hearted. Romney could have been much more deeply cutting, but that’s not in the spirit of the occasion.

I understand it’s just your opinion… And actually it would have been amazing if Romney completely ignored Obama throughout and didn’t have a single joke about him… now that would have been nasty.

happytobehere on October 19, 2012 at 12:17 AM

He’s not the only one that thought Romney might have gone a bit too far. It probably would have been better if Romney had been a little more self-deprecating, and spoke a little less about Obama. Not that I blame Romney for doing what he did–Obama deserved every bit of what he got and more. It’s just that Romney diminished himself a bit by going after Obama as much as he did. Nevetheless, on the whole, Romney did look very presidential.

ghostwriter on October 19, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Wow, the republican side actually got more speaking time than the dem!

However did that happen??

Sherman1864 on October 19, 2012 at 6:20 AM

ghostwriter on October 19, 2012 at 6:10 AM

And your extended point is?

Sherman1864 on October 19, 2012 at 6:23 AM

Best line of the night:
“I wish I could use my middle name.”

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Nicely done. I know I’ll never get an answer from you, but thanks for bringing the point up.

You made the implied-bigotry “best line of the night” post on a conservative-leaning political blog where most every conservative-leaning poster uses a handle instead of their real name.

Say, why do you think that is?

rogerb on October 19, 2012 at 6:42 AM

lawrence odonnell not liking that mitt made so many jokes against obama

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

cmsinaz on October 19, 2012 at 7:08 AM

ghostwriter on October 19, 2012 at 6:10 AM

And your extended point is?

Sherman1864 on October 19, 2012 at 6:23 AM

I’m not sure what you mean. My point was that Romney shouldn’t have sunk to Obama’s level. Ragging on somebody else under the veneer of self-deprecation is something Obama would do.

ghostwriter on October 19, 2012 at 7:08 AM

lawrence odonnell not liking that mitt made so many jokes against obama

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

cmsinaz on October 19, 2012 at 7:08 AM

I don’t know how you can stand watching that creep O’Donnell. He’s not in any kind of position to be lecturing anybody on decorum.

ghostwriter on October 19, 2012 at 7:10 AM

ghostwriter on October 19, 2012 at 7:10 AM

for some reason, mika and joe invited him on their show….he’s an idiot for sure…

cmsinaz on October 19, 2012 at 7:19 AM

This and the press club dinner just shows that our Press and our Polititians are way to chumy. Chris matthews and Couric, amoung others, sitting right up there with Obama and Romney.

WisRich on October 19, 2012 at 7:28 AM

The more that voters hear from Mitt Romney unfiltered, the more they really like the guy. The exact opposite is true of Obama, interestingly. Turns out that Mitt is nothing like the caricature that the Obama campaign spent hundreds of millions of dollars trying to create or that the late show comedians made fun of for months. Things are not looking so good for Obama. Obama is being outmatched, outclassed, outworked and out campaigned by a vastly superior man, Mitt Romney.

The Obama campaign is running on empty; they are running out of attacks, they are running out of steam, and they are definitely running out of time. Election day, here we come!

bluegill on October 19, 2012 at 7:33 AM

bluegill on October 19, 2012 at 7:33 AM

well said

cmsinaz on October 19, 2012 at 7:35 AM

ghostwriter on October 19, 2012 at 6:10 AM

I disagree. Voters are not used to seeing Obama’s opponents so brazenly criticize him in person, even if it is just in jest. It is refreshing to see Romney not be afraid to break the “No negative jokes about Obama” taboo.

It is always a good thing when Obama is taken down several pegs.

bluegill on October 19, 2012 at 7:38 AM

cane_loader on October 19, 2012 at 5:02 AM

I would agree with you, but then I remember what Obama did to the Supreme Court during a State of the Union address, and then to Paul Ryan during some other event. He even invited Ryan to the event and had him sit in the front row to make sure the humiliation was total. Obama is reaping what he’s sown.

Night Owl on October 19, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Night Owl on October 19, 2012 at 7:39 AM

This. Times infinity.

Washington Nearsider on October 19, 2012 at 7:42 AM

ghostwriter on October 19, 2012 at 7:08 AM

“The Left is at war with the Right
and the Right thinks it’s having a political discussion”

Anonymous HotAir poster

THIS is why we lose.

Cleombrotus on October 19, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Night Owl on October 19, 2012 at 7:39 AM

THIS!!!!!

2nd that WN

cmsinaz on October 19, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Rovin on October 19, 2012 at 5:21 AM

Yep. I liked this Mitt joke about their obvious bias:

Know what the media headlines about this event will say tomorrow? President Obama Embraced by Catholics. Mitt Romney Dines with Rich People.

Funny, because it’s so spot-on accurate.

AZCoyote on October 19, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Very Reagan like. Great timing. Lots of body shots, and like Reagan didn’t spare blowing himself some poop.

And a great gracious finish. President Romney.

Who was the big dude sitting next to mathews? Great laugh.

And BTW…as much as I hate Katie Couric…she’s a pretty good lookin woman.

LtT26 on October 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM

And BTW…as much as I hate Katie Couric…she’s a pretty good lookin woman.

LtT26 on October 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Yeah she is.

Washington Nearsider on October 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM

both did well, but kudos to obama, yada, yada, yada
-morning joe crew

cmsinaz on October 19, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Night Owl on October 19, 2012 at 7:39 AM

I’m not sure why some pansies are soooooo upset at Mitt Romney’s speech. It had an edge but less so than two nights before when these two were sitting on the same stage where Candy Crowley (in all but an Obama cheerleading outfit) and the rat-eared wonder were calling him a liar for daring suggest that the term terrorist attack never came up in that Rose Garden speech about Benghazi. Screw-em mock the rat-eared wonder because he is so mockable.

Happy Nomad on October 19, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Yeah I was just thinking the same think. He really reminded me of Reagan, especially in his closing comments

mitchellvii on October 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Aw, why did they cut off the video before the applause for Romney? I wanted to hear it. Anyone notice Tingles looking adoringly at Obama, ala the pasty nerd and the haughty Homecoming Queen?

College Prof on October 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Its a roast. The left needs to get over it. They can call Romney a felon and a murderer but he can’t tell a joke.

mitchellvii on October 19, 2012 at 8:09 AM

The good news is, Romney’s not likely to appear at another Al Smith dinner.

chumpThreads on October 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Romney may not be able to attend next year, because he’ll be so busy in the White House, trying to clean up the huge mess left by the epic failure that was the Obama presidency. But after that, you’ll get to see Romney at these dinners for the next seven years.

Enjoy. ;)

AZCoyote on October 19, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Obama tells jokes like he governs. His words are self deprecating and light, his actions show the penultimate of arrogance and aggressiveness.

Romney speaks as he acts. What he says is what he is.

mitchellvii on October 19, 2012 at 8:15 AM

OBAMA WAS NOT FUNNY. ONE LAUGH LINE. PERIOD.

pat on October 19, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Obama had plenty of funny lines(although some were used by Mitt right before him, like the Andrew Cuomo joke). The problem is that Mitt was funnier and had far better delivery.

Doughboy on October 19, 2012 at 8:26 AM

WashingtonsWake on October 19, 2012 at 1:01 AM

“Gandhi was wrong!” – Billy

curved space on October 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I think Mitt had better speech writing… Dennis Miller perhaps.

Dasher on October 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I’ll be sure to listen to Dennis today and find out. I’m sure he’ll have some valuable insights into the comedic battle of wit that went down and how disproportionate it was in Mitt’s favor.

CitizenEgg on October 19, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Lighten up, folks, it was the Al Smith Dinner. Poking fun is what it is besides being a fund raiser. Mitt was funny and had a good delivery. The Won laughing at his own jokes is not a good sign for a comedian. Hope he doesn’t keep his day job, either.

Kissmygrits on October 19, 2012 at 9:03 AM

As you watch the video and it pans out around the 2 minute mark, you can see where Barack Obama is in relation to Mitt Romney and Katie Couric.

Watch carefully Katie Couric’s reaction when Mitt Romney said the following:

Of course we’re down to the final months of the president’s term…

Katie laughs, then looks over in the direction of Obama, and her composure changes completely. The smile disappears from her face, she looks down, and runs a hand through her hair.

I think that when she looked at Obama, he was scowling in displeasure at both the statement itself and the laughter it evoked from those who support him. I have to believe that Obama was NOT HAPPY, and Katie knew it the instant she looked at him. She felt shamed for laughing at that line, and her body language shows it.

ITguy on October 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Not understanding the issue? I thought Mitt’s jokes were great, and I loved that he’s still destroying the driveby’s narrative of him. Think of it this way: if Jon Stewart/Leno/Letterman/etc etc had been on their jobs the last four years, we’d be calling these same jokes lame and stale. Mitt was fantastic.

And after all the slander from Team O over the last several months (even just yesterday against Ann and Tagg!), I’m having trouble feeling sympathetic towards King O.

Dubn8tr on October 19, 2012 at 9:08 AM

LukeinNE on October 19, 2012 at 3:07 AM

America is not failing. America’s leaders are failing.

[thats me channeling Reagan]

BobMbx on October 19, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Hilarious jokes by Romney. Great stuff.
Looking and sounding Reaganesque with his delivery.

albill on October 19, 2012 at 9:13 AM

And BTW…as much as I hate Katie Couric…she’s a pretty good lookin woman.

LtT26 on October 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Yeah she is.

Washington Nearsider on October 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM

HA!….Had to clean up the keyboard after that

workingclass artist on October 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM

LukeinNE on October 19, 2012 at 3:07 AM

To hell with the nicey nice “putting politics aside” and giving the other side excessive and undeserved deference. I say we stick it to Obama good and hard. Besides, Romney was well in the bounds of good taste here. Anyone whose delicate sensibilities are offended over this needs to get over it.

bluegill on October 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Obama worshipers aren’t accustomed to seeing their boy king Obama ridiculed right to his face. Tough.

bluegill on October 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM

They roasted each other, but the clowns at Hotair who live in partisan hackworld interpret the situation as “Romney roasts Obama at the Al Smith Dinner”

Dave Rywall on October 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Amjean on October 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Right on!

happytobehere on October 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Hey, why not throw in a couple of jokes about the 4 dead Americans in Libya then? LOL!!! What a laugh ri0t!!!!!

I’m not trying to defend 0bama, but if he uttered a word about Seamus or Magic Underwear, you guys would have been throwing a fit.

Geez, partisan zeal has killed all objectivity on Hot Air.

UltimateBob on October 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM

On Kilmeade, Bret Baier says explosive news is breaking on Benghazi. The attack lasted longer than thought, perhaps 8 hours A request for air strike support was denied. An autopsy report exists. The families have not been told what the reports say.

And a video and trascript of about an hour of the attack will be featured tonight on Hannity.

Philly on October 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Your comment makes little sense. You might want to try again at saying whatever it is you were trying to say. As for Obama’s comedy attempt, well, let’s just say he didn’t quite hit the mark the way Pres. Romney did.

You know that Romney’s comedy is effective when so many of these left wing pissant commenters are posting angry responses. The barbs really stung because they were oh so true, and everyone knows it.

bluegill on October 19, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I wonder how hard Obama’s advisors had to work on him to convince him to poke fun at himself.

Bitter Clinger on October 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

The liberals should stop whining about Romney’s roast of Obama. If it makes them feel any better, I’m sure Romney will have many polite, generous words for Obama while Romney is giving his victory speech on election night.

bluegill on October 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Dave Rywall on October 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM

you have never had a moment of joy to n your pathetic life. I feel badly for those who know you.

tom daschle concerned on October 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

romney was a bit funnier than obama but did not like that abortion reference in the end.

nathor on October 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM

bluegill on October 19, 2012 at 9:40 AM
————

Give me an example of an “angry response”.

They were both pretty funny. (reading jokes other people wrote for them, of course).

That you only like jokes your guy tells just proves you’re a partisan hack clown.

Dave Rywall on October 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I thought they both did exceptionally well. And, frankly, Obama’s delivery was superb.

I don’t mind that their knives were partially sheathed. That’s part of the point of the event. They both got their jabs in, but they were even harder on themselves, so it all came off in good humor.

These next three weeks are going to be absolute hell. For both of them. Let them come down off the pulpit for a couple of hours and relax.

And Romney’s line about “dressing down” was brilliant. Politically, playing up the “filthy rich guy” persona may get some positive play with the public. If he can find a way to incorporate that into his stump speeches (and even the debate) over the next three weeks, it could very easily completely destroy that Lefty talking point.

nukemhill on October 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Dave Rywall on October 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM

tom daschle concerned on October 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM
——

Your moronic attempts at looking deep or smart always provide me with much much joy.

Now get back to shrieking Obama wasn’t funny but Mittens was hilarious.

Dave Rywall on October 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Dave Rywall on October 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I thought they were both funny. And I loath Obama as the President.

But your whining is incessant and stupid.

nukemhill on October 19, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I saw this live and absolutely died laughing! MITT KILLED! Obama stumbled his way through and had some good ones, but nothing like Mitt!

dominigan on October 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Mitt is funnier than Barack too.

that Kenyan can’t do anything right

Slade73 on October 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Dave Rywall on October 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I thought they were both funny. And I loath Obama as the President.

But your whining is incessant and stupid.

nukemhill on October 19, 2012 at 9:54 AM
——–

Holy sh*t.

A hotair clown with a shred of objectivity.

That is truly amazing.

Dave Rywall on October 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

that seems a little rude Dave Rywall

if you’re gonna be rude don’t do it half azzed

Slade73 on October 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Rasmussen has it tied again this morning. That may seem like a big deal after Romney being up 2 yesterday however all it takes is a fractional drop for Romney and fractional gain for Obama to create a 2 point swing.

As long as Rasmussen refuses to give any consideration at all the Republican enthusiasm advantages and uses a D +5 sample despite his own polling showing that is simply impossible his numbers will continue to lag Gallup who appears to be factoring enthusiasm into his likely voter model.

I believe that Rasmussen is bound and determined this cycle to shed the mantle of “Republican Pollster”. He has about two more weeks before he needs to move to a more realistic sample.

mitchellvii on October 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Dave Rywall on October 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

You never cease to be a phucking moron. Let me guess…You thought Obama won debates and Biden really schooled Ryan.

The FACT of the matter…Romney did a better job in his delivery and his jokes were funnier.

It must suck to be humorless, douchebag ObamaBot like you. EVERYONE at this website thinks you are a joke. Even your fellow libtards…so suck on that a while…you ignorant partisan hack.

HumpBot Salvation on October 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM

A hotair clown with a shred of objectivity.

That is truly amazing.

Dave Rywall on October 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Now that is COMEDY GOLD..right there.

HumpBot Salvation on October 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Zero got a line in about unemployment being the lowest in his presidency on the same day another 46,000 unemployed were found unexpectedly by BLS. He’s still leading from behind.

Kissmygrits on October 19, 2012 at 10:15 AM

There is nothing ROMBO can’t do!

akaniku on October 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM

A hotair clown with a shred of objectivity.

That is truly amazing.

Dave Rywall on October 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

You’re here at HotAir? That make you a clown too?

BigAlSouth on October 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM