Video: Romney roasts Obama at the Al Smith Dinner

posted at 10:01 pm on October 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, I haven’t watched the clip yet but I’m told Mitt killed. In fact, judging from the introductions, sounds like everyone killed:

When you’re done laughing, go read this. Another bunch of 2008 Obama supporters turns red. Exit quotation from O, describing Tingles’s reaction to the first debate: “I want to apologize to Chris Matthews. The first time I gave him a thrill up his leg, this time I gave him a stroke.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I’m surprised the smoke alarms didn’t go off in that banquet room during Romney’s comments. What with all the zingers Romney landed on the prezuhdunce, heavy smoke and steam had to be coming out of Obamuh’s ears.

stukinIL4now on October 19, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I really am feeling better about Obama’s second term chances. This is where they are:

Think about that for a moment. It’s mid October, these people are serious, and they’re pushing the binder thing that hard.

It’s yours to lose, (R)s.

rogerb on October 19, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Holy sh*t.

A hotair clown with a shred of objectivity.

That is truly amazing.

Dave Rywall on October 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

That’s gold, Jerry! GOLD!

runner on October 19, 2012 at 10:27 AM

It’s yours to lose, (R)s.

rogerb on October 19, 2012 at 10:27 AM

What a bunch of cupid stunts.

UltimateBob on October 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I don’t see why Canadian Drywall bothers trolling here, though I suspect he has donated to Obama and possibly cast an absentee ballot, given Obama’s lax position on security in either case.

My favorite line was:
“To prepare for the debate I swore off alcohol for 65 years and attacked every strawman I could find mercillessly. Big Bird didn’t even see it coming.

Speaking of Sesame Street, President Obama’s remarks later are brought to you by the letter O and the number 16 trillion.”

Romney did great. Obama had a few great lines structurally but I think his delivery was mostly off. His Cuomo quip was probably the best.

BKennedy on October 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Heh, I watched the two speeches and laughed at some of the jokes, from both sides.

Romney was the president in the room, kind of a powerful TV presidential figure, and Obama was the beaten teenager. He appears tinier lately.

Chris Matthews’ face told all. He knows his boy is history.

To watch Rywall’s pain is pure Schadenfreude, in an objective way. DR actually has a brain.

Schadenfreude on October 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM

This one comment left a big mark. 0 winced. He tries to cover it with a forced and feigned smile. Just like he is bad to do.

The Presidents remarks tonight are brought to you by the letter O and the number sixteen trillion.

Bmore on October 19, 2012 at 11:00 AM

And BTW…as much as I hate Katie Couric…she’s a pretty good lookin woman.

LtT26 on October 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Yeah she is.

Washington Nearsider on October 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Oh please, she’s had as much work as Joan Rivers.

slickwillie2001 on October 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM

He appears tinier lately.

Schadenfreude on October 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Been thinking the same thing, but thought it was just me. During both debates and the Al Smith dinner, Barry appeared to be small, almost diminutive. He’s nearly as tall as Romney is, but he just seemed so tiny. Just a wisp of a sociopathic Marxist now. Beat downs will do that to you.

Slainte on October 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I know that both Obama & Romney had professionals writing their material and I think both were funny. Mitt was funnier because (1) Obama’s delivery was flat while Romney’s was right on with the deadpan, mild delivery and (2) We haven’t seen this side of Romney before so it was more surprising (and we’ve seen nothing but Obama joking around on talk shows, etc).

However, those trying to say Romney was “too mean” and/or complaining that the candidates aren’t supposed to “ridicule each other.” GROW UP. This is *exactly* what the candidates do & neither Romney nor Obama was too mean. If you think Romney was, you are just b*tthurt because Obama didn’t do as well (with the jokes or in the polls right now) and that is utterly ridiculous. Same goes for those complaining that Romney was gracious at the end of his remarks. At the end of both, they each were gracious & said something to the effect that there is more to life in politics & we can disagree without personal animosity. Regardless of how anyone feels about the sincerity of either saying words to that effect, you can take a lesson from them.

Furthermore, while I’m sure Dennis Miller gave tips, but it turns out Mitt *is* funny & has been known for his dry, self-deprecating humor. The MSM has hidden it as part of his “Robot” image — in fact, they have consistently taken humorous remarks by him & written them as gaffes to imply he was stupid (airplane windows for one example). But this article was in The Atlantic (!) in March — with links to videos. It is well worth the read:

Politicians are people who’ve made a career of being puffed-up with self-importance. Self-awareness is practically a liability in this business — it punctures the suspension of disbelief necessary to take seriously all the pomp and ceremony and manufactured gravitas. How refreshing, then, was Romney’s quip upon taking the stage with glitter in his hair, thanks to an ambush from a gay activist: “That’s not all that’s in my hair, I’ll tell you that,” he said. “I glue it on every morning, whether I need to or not.”

Dark Star on October 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM

The shrinking man is done!

Bmore on October 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM

It’s yours to lose, (R)s.

rogerb on October 19, 2012 at 10:27 AM

That picture you linked to is freaking pathetic. Pa*the*tic.

Full disclosure–I didn’t watch Obama’s bit; I can’t stand listening to him any more than I have to. Kind of like how those on the left couldn’t stand to hear George W. Bush speak.

Did watch Romney’s bit–he was great. And yeah, he delivered some real zingers in there. Very cutting, but well done. Best line to me, outside of the “designated driver” line: “polls show Obama leading from behind.”

theotherone on October 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM

romney was a bit funnier than obama but did not like that abortion reference in the end.

nathor on October 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM

So, Obama uses a blanket statement of “acts of terror” to refer to the resiliency of the country in the face of terrible tragedies and that means “he declared Benghazi a terrorist attack right away”. On the other hand Romney never once uses the word abortion in this dinner speech but you are upset he referenced it?! Sheesh!!!

God forbid anyone at a Catholic gathering makes a blanket comment about the beauty of life. The horror!!!

ptcamn on October 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM

spiritof61 on October 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM

At best he will make 45%.

Bmore on October 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM

nathor on October 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Actually nathor, that was one of the classiest parts of Romneys comments. It highlighted his sincerity on the issue in an appropriate venue. Of course I don’t expect you to understand that. The folks in the hall did though.

Bmore on October 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM

And BTW…as much as I hate Katie Couric…she’s a pretty good lookin woman.

LtT26 on October 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Yeah she is.

Washington Nearsider on October 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Oh please, she’s had as much work as Joan Rivers.

slickwillie2001 on October 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Surely they jest.
All of the hags on the major networks, and cable, et al, and I’ll give you two words.

Megyn Kelly.

Tenwheeler on October 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Actually thought Obama was pretty funny (his comment about Romney buying the stores was his best bit) but Romney stole the show. He’s not the ‘wouldn’t man the MSM portrays.

ManWithNoName on October 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM

And BTW…as much as I hate Katie Couric…she’s a pretty good lookin woman.

On second thought….

There goes lunch.

Plegh.

Tenwheeler on October 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM

We were hungry for some funny lines that skewer the POTUS for a change.Other than the last few weeks, after 5 years of comedy front guys like Jon Stewart, Craig Fergusen, Kimmel, Letterman, Leno, SNL, etc. not even cracking a joke against Obozo.

Rombo’s routine put all of these funnymen to shame, when it’s actually their job to have been doing this.

It was like a friendly MOAB bomb, up their collective butts.

It made me love Mitt even more. Who knew? Ann Romney knew!

Typicalwhitewoman on October 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Okay, I have to admit I laughed when I read this line from Obummer.

“Win or lose, this is my last political campaign, so I’m trying to drink it all in. Unfortunately, Mayor Bloomberg will only let me have 16 ounces of it.”

WisRich on October 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I loved Romney’s speech- the barbs toward Obama left me thinking ‘Oh no you didn’t’! But the warm words toward Obama at the end took all of the sting out of his remarks.

I really like Obama’s line about getting criticism for being a rock star when visiting overseas allies, but that Romney doesn’t have that problem.

Mitsouko on October 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Surely they jest.

Megyn Kelly.

Tenwheeler on October 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I think Jenna Lee is even hotter.

Bitter Clinger on October 19, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Dave Rywall on October 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Gov. Romney had the better writer, possibly Dennis Miller who is actively campaigning for him

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Trying as hard as possible to hear each video with the same wish to be entertained, I noticed a few things:

Gov. Romney said a couple of funny, self-deprecating lines, but by far the funniest lines, the ones receiving the most reaction, were clever shots at the President’s policies, failures, and debate missteps.

The President’s ONLY funny line which was a direct jab at Gov. Romney was about him shopping in stores in midtown while the Governor was shopping FOR stores. Every other funny thing he said was designed as damage control about the debates. Nothing about Gov. Romney’s policies, stance on issues, or opposing positions.

Gov. Romney’s best lines were analogous jabs, backed by 100% fact: $16 Trillion… Press quashing of his policies/plans… So little time, so much to redistribute… If you got a church, you didn’t build that… Bill Clinton… Blame it on Pope John Paul II…

The President’s best lines were either neutral to both campaigners, or self-roasting, with one exception. Claiming that Clint Eastwood would yell at empty chairs, when Clint never raised his voice during that Convention appearance (though Obama must have heard it LOUD and CLEAR)… Since swing states will decide the election, what are they doing in New York?… Which one of us will hold up traffic for the next four years?… I’m trying to run a cabinet meeting here(how long since his last cabinet meeting?)… Honey Boo-boo endorsed me… I wish I could use my middle name…

The Andrew Cuomo line was good. It’s too bad Romney already made the similarity known. In comedy, timing is everything, and that wasn’t the Presiden’t fault, it would have gotten a good laugh.

On delivery, no comparison. Half of his lines, the President was laughing before the punchline, and then again after. That’s a fail. Let the audience laugh, if it’s funny. If it isn’t, and you laugh, it just looks bad. Supposing that this isn’t a natural behavior for Gov. Romney, then he did as he has with the debates, and prepared properly.

Freelancer on October 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Wow…killed indeed. That was absolutely beautiful.

Jaibones on October 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Can’t understand HotAireans who thought Obama was funny.

I didn’t watch his skit but when someone’s trying to mug me and all my friends he can tell the best jokes in the world and I’m just not gonna think they’re funny.

Cleombrotus on October 19, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Slainte on October 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM

The slims?

cptacek on October 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I am of course delighted that what was once a decidedly minority position is now gaining favor. I was scoffed at when I said he was the most qualified person to run for the presidency in 200 years. Romney is exactly what America needs now.

Basilsbest on October 19, 2012 at 4:48 AM

Gee, I wonder why anybody would scoff at the suggestion that Romney was more qualified to be president than Reagan, Bush 41, Bush 43, Nixon, Eisenhower, FDR, Hoover, Coolidge, etc.

tom on October 19, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Slainte on October 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM

The slims?

cptacek on October 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Bathhouse Barry.

riddick on October 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Where was Moochelle? I saw Ann Romney, but not the mooch.

COgirl on October 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Where was Moochelle? I saw Ann Romney, but not the mooch.

COgirl on October 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM

She insisted on a table right by the kitchen, so no one would notice the seconds.

slickwillie2001 on October 19, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I have seen the future and it now looks bright. The mind seems brigth ..the jokes insightful …the chances for little childeren to be born and rejoice at the marvel of Gods work inspiring…the dark clouds of death and mandates just a thought that came from a hope less ness of a bad dream a thing of the past.
Mitt Rommey…the future. He truly was Presedential.

nicknack60 on October 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Watched both videos twice, and I have to say that I am glad 0bama can look forward to a new career as a third-rate comedian, after four years as a fifth-rate president.

Siddhartha Vicious on October 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM