Reid: Romney gives “used car salesmen a bad name,” but Joe “the bullets are aimed at you” Biden is a stand-up guy

posted at 8:41 pm on October 18, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Harry Reid hasn’t exactly kept it a secret that he’s not Mitt Romney’s biggest fan; he’s already publicly taken umbrage with Mitt Romney over his dastardly faux-to-hardcore conservative politics, his undue representation of their shared religion, and his phantom tax evasion. While I’m sure those were all, er, careful and constructive criticisms, Sen. Reid piled onto Romney’s character some more today while introducing Vice President Biden at a campaign rally in Las Vegas. Via The Hill:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said on Thursday that Mitt Romney gives “used car salesman a bad name.” …

“Now, Joe Biden stands for everything that’s fair and honest — he’s a man of integrity. The man that’s leading the Republican ticket for president of the United States is giving used car salesmen a bad name,” Reid said in his remarks introducing Biden. “Think about it for a minute: Have you ever seen anyone that would do anything, say anything like Mitt Romney?

As a situation in which Mitt Romney runs the executive branch and Harry Reid leads the Senate is becoming increasingly feasible, you’ve gotta’ wonder what it will look like if the two end up having to work together. I don’t reckon the Democrats will be quite so opposed to gridlock if and when the tables turn and they’re suddenly the ones blocking Republican advances, especially on the big issues, but maybe Congress’s increasing unpopularity will bring the Democrats to the bargaining table to get some things done and save their images.

Meanwhile, that guy who “stands for everything that’s fair and honest,” that “man of integrity” that Reid was introducing at the rally? He then took to the stage and said this:

I get that he was just carrying on the metaphor and I don’t like being a nitpicker, but paired with his other ungenteel gaffes and his recent sneering-and-jeering debate performance, and I don’t know that I’d introduce our vice president as a representative of “everything that’s fair and honest.” Biden’s tendencies hyperbole, distortion, and inappropriateness need their own category of outrageous outrage.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Mitt Romney kills at the AE Smith dinner…

d1carter on October 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Barky is yelling.

Brat on October 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Now it’s Barky’s turn. No excuse for him to bomb – he has most of Hollywood’s screenwriters to help him.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Polite but unenthusiastic applause, unlike for Romney.

Jvette on October 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

The Kings Clint Eastwood joke just fell flat.

JPeterman on October 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Preezy up at the dinner .. made a Clint Eastwood joke, first thing !!

DANG… GETTING SCRIPT ERRORS ON THIS THREAD !!

pambi on October 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Making jokes about being well-rested during the first debate.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Don’t know if I can stand to watch Oblama.

Romney delivered a funny speech, lots of zingers, but no rancor.

Don’t think Teh One can do the same.

Jvette on October 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Had to turn it off when The Narcissist in Chief stepped up to the podium. Let us know how it goes, please.

Nikkia2112 on October 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I can’t take the stupid anymore from these liberal fools.

I can’t drink enough whiskey to purge my brain of their idiocy.

Yakko77 on October 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Mrs. Romney looks great.

Brat on October 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Obama is not that funny.

Urban Infidel on October 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

He’s OK, but not on fire. Found out there are worse things that can happen on your anniversary than forgetting to buy a gift.

Makes a Bloomberg 16oz joke.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

“No, and I’m afraid we have all the buggy retrievers we need here at Walmart”

BobMbx on October 18, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Uh, no. My ex (Bless his Soul) was rejected for retriever and greeter, seemed he had a 32 year old DUI….

IF, over time, we get to shunning this whole Administration, will be the true measure of hope for Our Country.

Shun them. Let’s win this thing. Alinsky them, Breitbart em.
Let’s go.

seesalrun2 on October 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

New York is wonderful, blah blah. Babe Ruth did not build that, yuk.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Our FLOTUS-to-be looks WONDERFUL !!

pambi on October 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Not bad, empty chair joke fell flat.

First time around, gave Chris Matthews a thrill up his leg, this time gave him a stroke.

Best line so far.

Jvette on October 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Makes a lame Joe Biden joke. The bigger joke is Barry running a cabinet meeting.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Romney did an excellent job. I can’t listen to Obama.

Night Owl on October 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Obama not getting nearly the response that Mitt did.

predator on October 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Cool reception for the King so far.

JPeterman on October 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Obama so far: Eh.

IrishEi on October 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Romney looked like he was really enjoying himself, at home and at ease.

Obama looks like he really meant it when he said, “What are we doing here?”

Jvette on October 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

0bama is falling flat.

Brat on October 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

OK, O’s middle-name joke was good. I’ll give him that.

IrishEi on October 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Ugh – get off the stage. You are a weak follow-up. Unless you have some killer lines, forget it. He’s chuckling nervously. He must think he’s bombing. Makes a meh middle name joke. Mitt uses his middle name and he wishes he could use his.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM

This is not that funny. He’s definitely rattled because he’s losing.

Urban Infidel on October 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Made a joke about shopping at a lot of stores while Romney went shopping for a lot of stores. The guy just can’t leave the class warfare crap go for one night.

IMO, he’s bombing.

predator on October 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Debate spoiler alert – we got bin Laden. Eh, meh.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Couldn’t resist a “We got Bin Laden.”

It’s all he’s got.

Jvette on October 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

The King is turning this into another campaign speech.

JPeterman on October 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Mitt was much funnier. Makes a joke about interrupting each other and the moderator.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

He is rattled by how funny and well received Mitt was.

Brat on October 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

How long is this moron going to talk? Romney seemed to be up there only a few minutes, and this seems like an eternity.

Night Owl on October 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Biden is a stand-up guy

Yes, he certainly is. Just ask Chuck Graham.

RINO in Name Only on October 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

re Monday’s debate .. spoiler alert = we got bin laden.
oh, he’s really stretching things !!

pambi on October 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

He is rattled by how funny and well received Mitt was.

Brat on October 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

JPeterman on October 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

He said “finally”, so I hope he finishes soon. Ugh, makes a scripture reference about perseverance. Please. Thou shalt not lie, Barry

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

He’s a droning robot.

Urban Infidel on October 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Well, with Matthews, there are two people who think he’s funny.

He’s had a couple of good lines. But, not the one liners Mitt had.

Jvette on October 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Says he admires Romney as a family man and that matters more than any political title. What decency and willingness to come together for a higher purpose have you ever had, Barry?

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Barry was mediocre at best. Mitt knocked ‘em dead. Great job, Mitt!

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

He is rattled by how funny and well received Mitt was.

Brat on October 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

No doubt, no doubt, Romney was MUCH BETTER received and delivered a much funnier speech.

I have to say, I was diappointed with him as the nominee, but I am no longer holding my nose to vote for him, I am excited and happy to be doing so.

Jvette on October 18, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Hesdline tomorrow: The we got bin Laden line. Nothing from Mitt. Typical liberal lapdog media as usual.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I just turned to MSDNC. they are convinced Obama was funnier. Mad cow is taking this as seriously as a debate.

Brat on October 18, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Headline, that is.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Anyone who thinks I’m an Obama fan should read my blog… That said, I think Obama was pretty damned funny at the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner. Just because I oppose his vision for America doesn’t mean I have to think his humor sucks… besides, I honestly doubt he wrote his own jokes.

SWalker on October 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

The King knows he’s one and done.

JPeterman on October 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Unlike Big Bird, Obama does see it coming.

Jvette on October 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Anyone else getting scripting errors ?
Reloads taking forever :-(

pambi on October 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Romney had one great joke/line after another. Each one was a stinger.

Only two jokes I even chuckled at from Obama:

1.) 2008 gave Chris Matthews a thrill up his leg; 2012 gave him a stroke.

2.) Mitt is actually the governor’s middle name; wish I could use my middle name.

IrishEi on October 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Obama was funny, but Romney was hilarious.

GOPRanknFile on October 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Jvette on October 18, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I’m glad to hear you feel that way. I was for Mitt in 2008 so I have been waiting a long time to vote for him again…for the third time actually!

Brat on October 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM

He is rattled by how funny and well received Mitt was.

Brat on October 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Period.

Resist We Much on October 18, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Listening to the lib woman, Leslie(?) on Hannity, she said, no one is going to say I’m going to vote for this guy based on this appearance.

But, I think these things really help Romney.

The conservatives holding back, like the woman in the Luntz group who said it was between Romney and not voting, will be won over by this and the debates.

It’s all about turn out.

Jvette on October 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Barry is rattled. He’s in a deep funk. He’s not used to being out shined.

Urban Infidel on October 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Brat on October 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Not only that, I am on a stay-cation in Vegas for the next eight days and I plan to spend two of them volunteering for the RR campaign. Never did that before.

Jvette on October 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Nice American Crossroads ad about Benghazi (Hannity, Fox)

pambi on October 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Jvette on October 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Awesome!!

Brat on October 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Jvette on October 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

There are several of us who are going to be there this weekend per some posts this morning. Some going into Reno on charter buses from California.

We have a caravan coming from Utah for both this weekend and next.

JPeterman on October 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM

This feels really odd to say, but Reid is actually starting to grow on me in a sort of mustache-twirling villain-you-love-to-hate way. I have hated him more than any other DC politician in recent years, but the utter deadpan shamelessness with which he reliably delivers these kinds of lines is really something remarkable. What will he say next?

Xasprtr on October 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Harry Reid is the reason Nevada will be turned into a national nuclear waste dump.

GarandFan on October 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM

“There was a peanut walking down the road. Suddenly it was assaulted! Peanut. Hehehe….hehe…heh…ahem….so where was I…”

Bishop on October 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Only two jokes I even chuckled at from Obama:

1.) 2008 gave Chris Matthews a thrill up his leg; 2012 gave him a stroke.

IrishEi on October 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I thought those two were funny, too, but did you notice when Matthews stood up to give a standing O to Obama, that he was wearing grey pants, with a too tight tux jacket, and his shirt half out. First, grey pants are not what you wear in white bow-tie events, only black like your jacket. How he even got a seat above the podium and in full camera view is something I wish Cardinal Dolan might address. Matthews is the enemy of everything Cardinal Dolan stands for, and a hateful one as well.

TXUS on October 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

This is one reason we have to take back the senate! Reid is a disgusting hack! He is soooo jealous of Romney! He just can’t help himself!
What are you going to do dingy hairy, when Romney wins & you loose? Search lite is missing it’s idiot!

Bambi on October 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Orlando Sentinel endorses Romney.

Endorsed Obama and Kerry.

Resist We Much on October 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM

We have a caravan coming from Utah for both this weekend and next.

JPeterman on October 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I saw earlier there are some coming in to Reno, hadn’t seen that about Vegas. Reno is fairly conservative, it’s Vegas that will swing it to Obama if he takes this state. This is where the ground game needs playing.

Jvette on October 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Someone needs to take a crowbar to this hammerhead.

BallisticBob on October 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM

WTF all these democrat papers endorsing Mitt. Yeah I’m supporting Mitt but these dem papers endorsements just grow my suspicions about him.

bgibbs1000 on October 18, 2012 at 10:43 PM

It appears Scott Brown re-election campaign is in trouble in MA. Unless GOP can win ND, MT, NE, WI and VA, we are facing the unpalatable prospect that the Dem will retain control of the senate and that stinky Harry will remain as the Majority Leader and thwart any initiative for legislation to bring about reform.

bayview on October 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM

bayview on October 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM

…?

KOOLAID2 on October 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Dummy Reid raised his hand twice when crazy uncle Joe said that “we have troups in Iran”.

Schadenfreude on October 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Not having anything to do with used car sales, how on earth does Romney give them a bad name? Even if you think that Romney is the lowest of the low, how does that make any sense?! It is just amazing that the Democrat brain trust consists of Biden, Reid, and Pelosi. And the Democrats are supposed to be the party of our betters? On what planet?!?

besser tot als rot on October 18, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I think Senate is going to flip… At least I can hope :-)

antisocial on October 18, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Schadenfreude on October 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Ya gotta admit, all those countries with names ending in ‘an’ can get confusing.

slickwillie2001 on October 19, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Is Reid simply jealous of Romney’s standing in the LDS Church?

OxyCon on October 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM

…?

KOOLAID2 on October 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM

The bigger Romney’s lead is nationally, the more likely the very partisan MA dems will hold their noses and vote for Princess Bullsh!t because they do not want GOP control of senate, house and the White House.

RCP has Warren up 2.5 in its average, and someone mentioned in another thread about a poll that came out today (I can’t find it) showing Warren up 9. Warren has a 2:1 money advantage.

In any case, Brown on the defensive in the last few days for incorrectly alleging Warren used actresses in her ads and had to apologized a couple of times already.

bayview on October 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Gridlock I can live with. Nice to have the House but I am particularly concerned with the Presidency because of the increasing liberties being taken with the administrative/regulatory behemoth that Congress long ago set loose upon us. And of course the perennial SCOTUS issue.

Even if the Repubs took everything, I wouldn’t trust them to accomplish meaningful reform. The fight for liberty is an eternal process.

Xasprtr on October 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

A psychiatrist wrote a book about evil — he called it People of the Lie.

Feedie on October 19, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Bulls-eye!

The left is a joke.

CW on October 19, 2012 at 7:30 AM

And yet used car salesmen perform a more constructive service (selling me a car) than professional Poli Sci retards (dumbing down the political process.)

MNHawk on October 19, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Too funny!

Anything that Reid says is a heaping bowl of disconnect.
My guess is that Harry has never been to a used car lot.

It’s a wonder that Biden hasn’t trashed Reid’s religious beliefs.
I suppose that we can thank our Muslim President and our Mormon Senate Majority Leader for making religion an issue of the past?

kregg on October 19, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Was this the speech where Joey asked if anyone had lost a loved one serving in Iran? Yeah, that Joe being Joe. I wouldn’t vote for him for dog catcher.

Kissmygrits on October 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Yes, yes I have, and they call that guy “Senate Majority Leader.”

arik1969 on October 19, 2012 at 3:53 PM