Obama on Benghazi: “If four Americans get killed, it is not optimal”

posted at 9:21 pm on October 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

People are e-mailing about it so I’m giving you the transcript, but I want to see the clip before making a judgment.

Stewart: “Is part of the investigation helping the communication between these divisions? Not just what happened in Benghazi, but what happened within. Because I would say, even you would admit, it was not the optimal response, at least to the American people, as far as all of us being on the same page.”

Obama : “Here’s what I’ll say. If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal. We’re going to fix it. All of it. And what happens, during the course of a presidency, is that the government is a big operation and any given time something screws up. And you make sure that you find out what’s broken and you fix it. Whatever else I have done throughout the course of my presidency the one thing that I’ve been absolutely clear about is that America’s security comes, and the American people need to know exactly how I make decisions when it comes to war, peace, security, and protecting Americans. And they will continue to get that over the next four years of my presidency.”

It was Stewart who introduced the word “optimal,” something I didn’t realize when I first heard about O’s quote. As is, it reads to me like Obama’s mirroring his language for effect, precisely because the word’s not equal to the task of describing what happened. E.g., “It seems like our air defenses at Pearl Harbor were less than optimal.” “Yeah, when you have most of the Pacific fleet destroyed in one day, that’s not optimal.” In other words, there is — or should be — a scare-quotes element to “optimal.” But maybe I’m wrong and the clip will show that he means it literally and really is this much of a callous jackhole. He has been known to use dry, off-putting, minimizing euphemisms to downplay the Benghazi attack, after all. Either way, Toby Harnden’s probably right that Team Mitt will use it against him, either in ads or at the debate on Monday. Because public reaction to all this is, shall we say, not optimal for Obama either:

He’s at -30 among independents who have been following this story and now leads Romney on foreign policy by just four points after leading by 15 in September. That’s sufficiently bad that the Foreign Policy President has evidently decided his new best bet on the trail is to talk about, ahem, how well our economic recovery is going. Romney, of course, would also prefer to talk about the economy instead of Libya, mainly because his pollsters found after the second debate that he made his biggest impression when discussing jobs, gas prices, and the deficit. Long story short, don’t miss Monday’s debate if you’re interested in Benghazi, as there probably won’t be much more about it from the two campaigns until election day.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama…the cold hearted Ahole.

Electrongod on October 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Same goes for Stewart

Electrongod on October 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Eggs. Omelets.

Some disassembly required.

CurtZHP on October 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

It’s fun to pretend that you’re more knowledgeable on a subject than your opposition but this one takes the cake.

Typhonsentra on October 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM

rogerb on October 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I hope at least he meant that the optimal number is lower.

Ronnie on October 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

The hits keep coming. The wheels are falling off folks. It’s a slow-motion train wreck. It’s been an awesome day. This is the beginning of the end of Hopenchange.

Corporal Tunnel on October 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

How dare they get killed during my bid to destroy this country??

BigWyo on October 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

His third memoir:

“A Less Than Optimal Presidency”

Joe Mama on October 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I’m willing to give him a pass about the “optimal” part – but what in the hell is he doing going on Stewart’s show to discuss Benghazi? This guy is so amazingly unserious. When is going to face the press on this issue?

TarheelBen on October 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

The crime pales when set beside the cover.

Bmore on October 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

He said it that way because Stewart did. Unfortunate choice of words, but its hard to imagine how to minimize what happened without opening yourself up to criticism. Because, you know, the situation should never be minimized. People are dead.

Obama will be sick and tired of the phrase “not optimal” long before Nov. 6 arrives.

novaculus on October 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM

ROMSLIDE.

ModerateMan on October 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM

It’s a comedy show and he disgraces the office of the Presidency by being there discussing murdered Americans with a fool. I want a President who won’t let his staff into the oval office without a coat and tie again.

Marcus on October 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

O/T, is anyone watching this fundraiser roast in NYC where each candidate makes fun of the other? Romney is up right now and he is relentlessly hilarious about Obama. It is being aired on Hannity right now and they will break again when Obama takes the podium.

Whoever wrote Romney’s lines tonite deserves to get paid double, this is the funniest roast I have ever heard.

karenhasfreedom on October 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Oh the pardons he’s gonna give in January.

SouthernGent on October 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

This is the beginning of the end of Hopenchange.

Corporal Tunnel on October 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

History books will not be kind to this hiccup..
Or is that bumps in the road..

Electrongod on October 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Yeah, but a binder full of women is also sub-optimal. Take that, wingnuts!

Zombie on October 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

“I wish this had happened after the election.”

-Dog Eater

Bishop on October 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

And they will continue to get that over the next four years of my presidency.”

So Husssein is planning to Odinga this election too ?

burrata on October 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Bumps in the road are not optimal, is what he means.
“Binders”

pat on October 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

So, when do we get to start calling Obama a robot?

Count to 10 on October 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

The SCOAMF just keeps giving up Gold in terms of video/sound bytes to the Romney campaign. His NPD must make him totally unaware that he can be seen in a very, very bad light for what he says. What an amazing meltdown to witness.

ManWithNoParty on October 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Yes, you OUTSOURCE it to a Welsh firm with little experience, who then turns around and hires locals for FOUR BUCKS AN HOUR!!!

ABSOLUTELY CLEAR, SIR.

Resist We Much on October 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

This is nothing. Obama was just using Stewart’s words for his response. I don’t think he was trying to be callous towards the victims.

SoulGlo on October 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Isn’t it telling that the President of the United States is sitting down and giving an interview on foreign policy to…Jon Stewart of COMEDY CENTRAL.

Where are the in depth interviews with seasoned journalists or news anchors?

Why is Obama giving his interview to a FAUX NEWS ANCHOR ON A COMEDY SHOW?

Does the LEFT no longer distinguish between pretend news shows, comedy shows doing a parody of a news program, and a real world, serious, news program?

thatsafactjack on October 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

No. It’s still wretched. Stewart introduced that word in regards to the official response, not the fact that Americans were brutally murdered. It was Obama who then used that term in reference to the deaths themselves, not the response.

Quite frankly, knowing exactly how Stewart phrased the question makes Obama’s response even worse.

tdpwells on October 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

TarheelBen on October 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Comedy Central is a legitimate news source for Obama’s voters .
Those with IQs bigger than their shoe size already know the truth and will never be influenced by the Lie candy .

burrata on October 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Ann looks like a million bucks, as usual.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM

So, when do we get to start calling Obama a robot?

Count to 10 on October 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

He already is..

Remember Humpbot…

Electrongod on October 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Our president is just too damn cool for school. He should resign and find a street corner to choom it up.

NotCoach on October 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Sorry, OT: Watching the Smith dinner on Fox.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM

thatsafactjack on October 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Tonight makes his 6th appearance. Contrary to what the Dead Moonbat Bounce said, Obama has met with Bibi fewer times than Jon Stewart.

Resist We Much on October 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Heartless creep

Elizabetty on October 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I think the “Pacific fleet” analogy is a good one. National TV is not the place to understate things. Also given the context, it doesn’t seem like Obama was jokingly understating the situation.

Romney having more votes on Nov 6 will not be optimal for the Obama campaign!!

KenInIL on October 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM

You look at your ring for inspiration ?

burrata on October 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM

thatsafactjack on October 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I think that’s the idea.

Bmore on October 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM

This SOB is beyond belief! More “Bumps in the road” mentality, from the Failure-in-chief! This POS really, doesn’t care in the least that people are dying because of him & his psychotic Ideology! He just keeps talking like everyone is as idiotic as his acolytes! The only saving grace is that, God Will have a special place in Hell, reserved for this Arrogant, prideful, Murdering Bastard! And boy, does he deserve to be there!
Update on:How to take on the Obama Enemy media & Win: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 18, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I used to think Dick Morris was full of it when he talked landslide. I’m starting to change my mind.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:40 PM

How did it go B?

And..Hi Jackie!

KCB on October 18, 2012 at 9:40 PM

karenhasfreedom on October 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Damnit, I missed it! All I’m getting is the commentary.

Count to 10 on October 18, 2012 at 9:41 PM

How dare they get killed during my bid to destroy this country??

BigWyo on October 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

So many nastily inconvenient bumps in the road out there…

Gingotts on October 18, 2012 at 9:41 PM

You know what else is suboptimal? 47 percent–as in Obama’s share of the vote come Election Day. I can hardly wait.

ghostwriter on October 18, 2012 at 9:41 PM

posted at 9:21 pm on October 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

Gee, AP…what angle do you think folks will run with here?
And how noble of you to cast such aspersions…”before making a judgment”.

You’ll note that Benghazi if off Romney’s stump speech following the debate.

verbaluce on October 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM

After reading the full quote….it doesn’t so bad. This is what I hate about politics, people clipping and dicing candidate’s words to score cheap points.

terryannonline on October 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Optimal – definition – best possible outcome.
The smartest Prez Evah, just said the killing of four Americans was not the best possible outcome. What a sociopathic tool.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Damnit, I missed it! All I’m getting is the commentary.

Count to 10 on October 18, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Me, too, but Hannity will rerun – set your DVR.

tdpwells on October 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Sorry, OT: Watching the Smith dinner on Fox.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Romney was fantastic! Hope Allah posts clips soon.

Brat on October 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Damnit, I missed it! All I’m getting is the commentary.

Count to 10 on October 18, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Watch the Hannity rerun in a few hours. Mitt did well.

JPeterman on October 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM

SoulGlo on October 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Really? I think those form letters to the parents/spouses of military dead reek of callousness.

chemman on October 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM

As an aside..can you imagine the crowd editing this clip before it airs???

BigWyo on October 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM

If we have another 4 yrs of this crapola …..
*shudder *

cmsinaz on October 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

terryannonline on October 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM

How is it NOT so bad? He just described the death of 4 Americans as Not optimal (Not the best possible outcome), and last week he described this same incident as a “bump in the road”

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Wow. Hannity just showed the American Crossroads ad “What did you know and when did you know it?” That was awesome. Show is wall-to-wall all over PA, Karl Rove.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I watched that roast. You are right, Romney was hilarious!

rdb16 on October 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

That phrasing is awful no matter if Stewart introduced the word or not. You just don’t say things like that.

gophergirl on October 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

One fool talking to another fool. God forbid he should sit down with a “real journalist” and get some tough questions. Makes me puke. Watch for a wag the dog strike on some oasis in Africa. He figures to use the military to bolster his standing. Gag.

retiredeagle on October 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

KCB on October 18, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Good evening, Ken.:)

thatsafactjack on October 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Romney was fantastic! Hope Allah posts clips soon.

Brat on October 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM

He was great tonight. He was confident.

terryannonline on October 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Hannity just said a 50-minute tape of the attack and a transcript is available. When will we see it, Fox?

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM

verbaluce on October 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Til the bitter end and beyond. TFGRP is busy getting U.S. soldiers killed in Afghanistan in record numbers and Code Pinko is still chasing after Rumsfeldt with their toy handcuffs.

Bishop on October 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I personally don’t think he meant to denigrate the tragedy here… that being said, I’m all for this being rubbed in his face til it’s raw.

spinach.chin on October 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Barack Obama hates America and hates humanity. This creep is utterly without a soul.

Right Mover on October 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Colder, much colder than “bump in the road”.
I honestly think Obama is pure evil.
He’s also calculating, thinks he’s a genius, but lacks common sense.
I think he said this thinking it would sound sympathetic like it’s not the most optimal situation to have our diplomats killed.

Again I don’t think he really cares that much what happened in Benghazi, just regrets that it happened before the election.

I think Obama rolled over and went to sleep (and slept well) not knowing what happened to our diplomats.

bailey24 on October 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Remember folks. He’s personally likeable.

Right Mover on October 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Damnit, I missed it! All I’m getting is the commentary.

Count to 10 on October 18, 2012 at 9:41 PM

enjoy

burrata on October 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Romney killed them. Just killed. He was hilarious and delivered scads of funny one-liners flawlessly. I had no idea he was so funny. Ann mentioned in an interview that he is funny and a perpetual jokester. He overachieves at everything, I suppose.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Zipper, you can’ fix dead. Maybe the “not optimal” was in reference to the negative affect to his campaign, rather than the murdered Americans. Disgusting bumps I suppose..

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Marcus on October 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Hear hear.

Cleombrotus on October 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Inoperative … Inoperative
The security in Benghazi was inoperative

J_Crater on October 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM

but…but…GM is alive!

Ronnie on October 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM

If we have another 4 yrs of this crapola …..
*shudder *

cmsinaz on October 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Hello cmsinaz…

Electrongod on October 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM

SoulGlo on October 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Didn’t AP post as much?

Sheesh.

CW on October 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Right Mover on October 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Geez….I’m no Obama supporter but this type of rhetoric doesn’t make our side look good.

terryannonline on October 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM

You’ll note that Benghazi if off Romney’s stump speech following the debate. But of course the opportunistic political angles will persist in some places ’til the bitter end.

verbaluce on October 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Oh f@cking please… Obama is absolutely shameless about taking political advantage of tragedies.

spinach.chin on October 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM

verbaluce on October 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Just your attempt to stifle criticism. You’re a tool

CW on October 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM

the bitter end.

verbaluce on October 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM

spinach.chin on October 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Oh and WE KNOW verbaldouchebag was there to call the left on the carpet during Bush’s tenure….yeh right.

CW on October 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

but…but…GM is alive!

Ronnie on October 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM

And the solar panel company that I was contracted with 3 years ago is closing its doors shortly..

At least Mississippi has a 10,000 sq.ft brand new building…
Ready for occupancy..

Electrongod on October 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

burrata on October 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Thanks! Checking it out now!

KCB on October 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

…the government is a big operation and any given time something screws up.

Funny how he admits to this. If it’s so big, why make it bigger for more mistakes (i.e. health care, regulations, etc)?

rustybubble on October 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

What, five would be better?

J.E. Dyer on October 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Does Obama have a new book or movie coming out? If not WTH is he doing on “The Daily Show” giving an interview about about anything?

southernms on October 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Optimal – definition – best possible outcome.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM

It’s grave yard humor and with it Obama is digging his own grave.

VorDaj on October 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Romney absolutely slaughtered Obama tonight. He basically spoke the truth, but because of the forum, it could be laughed off and he got away with it. Romney was sharp and funny, while Obama was boring and awful.

Romney’s biggest takedown was of the media. Where he basically called them biased and forced them to laugh about it. It was brilliant.

milcus on October 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM

SoulGlo on October 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

No, the callousness came naturally to Obama. rankly this quote is entirely in keeping with the guy’s track record. This narcissist only cares about himself.

ghostwriter on October 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Obama : “Here’s what I’ll say. If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal.

I won’t give him a “pass” on using the word optimal.

Optimal – most favorable or desirable

Obama : “Here’s what I’ll say. If four Americans get killed, it’s not most favorable or desirable.

If any other sitting President, Democrat or Republican, had described the murder of four Americans in those terms, they would have been crucified by the LSM for gross insensitivity.

These people did not die in a car crash, a plane accident or an act of nature.

They died violent deaths.

They were murdered by terrorists in a premeditated attack.

The SCOAMF is a despicable excuse for a human being.

PolAgnostic on October 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Romney completely outclassed Obama at the Al Smith dinner. Just like Reagan did to Carter in 1980.

Romney’s jokes were professionally written, funny and mainly self-deprecating – which is what this event is about.

However, Mitt also got in some zingers against Obama, which hopefully rattled Obama’s ego. Kennedy did the same thing to Nixon in 1960.

Ann looked stunning. Michelle: no show.

matthew8787 on October 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

If we have another 4 yrs of this crapola …..
*shudder *
cmsinaz on October 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

… we’ll have to change the motto on the currency from ” In God We Trust ” to ” The beatings will continue until morale improves”

Cleombrotus on October 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

What, five would be better?

J.E. Dyer on October 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM

There are five. You’re forgetting the dude who made the video. He may not be dead yet, but he’s as good as.

JPeterman on October 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Gee, AP…what angle do you think folks will run with here?
And how noble of you to cast such aspersions…”before making a judgment”.

You’ll note that Benghazi if off Romney’s stump speech following the debate.

verbaluce on October 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM

You mad, bro?

Bitter Clinger on October 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

SoulGlo on October 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

It isn’t “nothing.” First of all, he’s on a comedy show discussing the death of four Americans. Four deaths he initially responded to by rolling over and going back to sleep, then waking up the next day, making a brief, emotionless statement in the Rose Garden, taking no questions and then flying to freaking Las Vegas for a G*dda*n fundraiser!!

Any apologist who considers this “nothing” is probably of the same ilk that considers Mitt Romney’s “binder” explanation a colossal “gaffe.”

Right Mover on October 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM

At least Mississippi has a 10,000 sq.ft brand new building…
Ready for occupancy..

Electrongod on October 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Hey it will be cheap…see Obama IS making our lives more affordable.

CW on October 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM

verbaluce on October 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM

ROTFLMAO…. Mr Kettle, please allow me to introduce you to Mr Pot…

SWalker on October 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Oh by the way….while we are on the topic of The Daily Show I would just like to remind people that four years ago Jon “Mr. Civiility” Stewart told Romney to “f-you” on his show. I’m curious has Mitt been anyone’s show where the host told Obama to “f” off?

terryannonline on October 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM

karenhasfreedom on October 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Yes, I watched the whole thing, Karen. Romney killed it. Obama laid an egg.

Naturally Curly on October 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Obama is no longer in control of his image, which is damaging to him. He was a fictional being created by hype, and the hype fountain was drained by recession, debt, and war. Now it’s Benghazi. The country now sees that he is human and he failed. Getting them to accept that fact is the challenge.

Philly on October 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Ann looked stunning. Michelle: no show.

matthew8787 on October 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I like our side…

Electrongod on October 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM

And you make sure that you find out what’s broken and you fix it.

So what did you do to fix Fast and Furious? Solyndra? Fiskar?

GarandFan on October 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Stewart used the word optimal in his question to refer to the Administration’s response to the Benghazi attack, not to the death of four Americans. That was all Obama.

steebo77 on October 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Those liars at Yahoo have a headline that reads

Obama says communication on Benghazi ‘not optimal’

Wigglesworth on October 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM