Obama on Benghazi: “If four Americans get killed, it is not optimal”

posted at 9:21 pm on October 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

People are e-mailing about it so I’m giving you the transcript, but I want to see the clip before making a judgment.

Stewart: “Is part of the investigation helping the communication between these divisions? Not just what happened in Benghazi, but what happened within. Because I would say, even you would admit, it was not the optimal response, at least to the American people, as far as all of us being on the same page.”

Obama : “Here’s what I’ll say. If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal. We’re going to fix it. All of it. And what happens, during the course of a presidency, is that the government is a big operation and any given time something screws up. And you make sure that you find out what’s broken and you fix it. Whatever else I have done throughout the course of my presidency the one thing that I’ve been absolutely clear about is that America’s security comes, and the American people need to know exactly how I make decisions when it comes to war, peace, security, and protecting Americans. And they will continue to get that over the next four years of my presidency.”

It was Stewart who introduced the word “optimal,” something I didn’t realize when I first heard about O’s quote. As is, it reads to me like Obama’s mirroring his language for effect, precisely because the word’s not equal to the task of describing what happened. E.g., “It seems like our air defenses at Pearl Harbor were less than optimal.” “Yeah, when you have most of the Pacific fleet destroyed in one day, that’s not optimal.” In other words, there is — or should be — a scare-quotes element to “optimal.” But maybe I’m wrong and the clip will show that he means it literally and really is this much of a callous jackhole. He has been known to use dry, off-putting, minimizing euphemisms to downplay the Benghazi attack, after all. Either way, Toby Harnden’s probably right that Team Mitt will use it against him, either in ads or at the debate on Monday. Because public reaction to all this is, shall we say, not optimal for Obama either:

He’s at -30 among independents who have been following this story and now leads Romney on foreign policy by just four points after leading by 15 in September. That’s sufficiently bad that the Foreign Policy President has evidently decided his new best bet on the trail is to talk about, ahem, how well our economic recovery is going. Romney, of course, would also prefer to talk about the economy instead of Libya, mainly because his pollsters found after the second debate that he made his biggest impression when discussing jobs, gas prices, and the deficit. Long story short, don’t miss Monday’s debate if you’re interested in Benghazi, as there probably won’t be much more about it from the two campaigns until election day.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I was surprised that nobody seeemed to notice what Obama said at the debate when he was talking about the folks that died in Benghazi. Obama said that the U.S. diplomats “don’t just represent the United States; they represent me” Does he really think that he is greater than the United States? Does he think that Federal employees are his personal employees, and not public employees? I really can’t countenance the arrogance of this man.

ghostwriter on October 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Hey it will be cheap…see Obama IS making our lives more affordable.

CW on October 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Heh..
I didn’t think of it that way..:)

Electrongod on October 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Whether he was parroting Stewart or not, the line comes across as callous. This doesn’t surprise me at all. How callous must he be to have gone on to Vegas for a fund raiser after it had JUST happened.

Jvette on October 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

the bitter end.

verbaluce on October 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Bmore on October 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

You mad, bro?

Bitter Clinger on October 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

He is experiencing that soul wrenching crush of desperation that follows the absolute knowledge that you are about to completely and utterly lose.

SWalker on October 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Some great communicator, he can’t change Jon’s word from optimal to tragedy. At least there weren’t any shout outs.

Ukiah on October 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Here’s what I’ll say. If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal.

What he was going to say is, -”if four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal when you are in the middle of a campaign”; he managed to catch himself though.

slickwillie2001 on October 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Disgusting – obama sounds like a terrorist – he sounds like any number of America’s sworn enemies.

Pork-Chop on October 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM

“And if You could have PREVENTED 4 American’s DEATHS and DIDN’T where I come from that’s MURDER

Katfish on October 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Pork-Chop on October 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Funny, there are a lot of former GM Stockholders who have the exact same opinion of Obama.

SWalker on October 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM

’til the bitter end.

verbaluce on October 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Awww..some one needs a tissue…

BigWyo on October 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Geez….I’m no Obama supporter but this type of rhetoric doesn’t make our side look good.

terryannonline on October 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I find it hard to believe that anyone other than his acolytes can’t see him for what he is by now: One cold human being. Or don’t you remember how he began his press conference after the mass murders at Fort Hood in 2009 with some obscure “shout-out” to someone?

Right Mover on October 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Mitt’s roast tonight is now a feature !

Thanks, AP !!

pambi on October 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Ann looked stunning. Michelle: no show.

matthew8787 on October 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

The week’s truckload of Lobster came in this afternoon.

slickwillie2001 on October 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Orlando Sentinel endorses Romney.

Endorsed Obama and Kerry.

Resist We Much on October 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM

4 americans killed by terrorists: not optimal

3 americans killed by terrorists: not great

2 americans killed by terrorists: not helpful

1 american killed by terrorists: not my concern

matthew8787 on October 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Stewart: (on communication and the administration’s response) …Because I would say, even you would admit, it was not the optimal response, at least to the American people, as far as all of us being on the same page.”

Obama : “…(pivoting from Stewart’s topic) If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal. We’re going to fix it.”

First, why pivot from the softball? ” We are making every effort to mend the communication to the optimal. It will allow us to achieve our goal of hunting down those who killed these 4 Americans.”

Second, (h/t MKH) Obama provides ammunition to ‘small government ‘ conservatives by highlighting how thing are easily screwed up in Big Government.

Dual disaster or the Boy King.

socalcon on October 18, 2012 at 10:13 PM

ghostwriter on October 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Now that you mention it…

Cleombrotus on October 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Unless you can raise the dead, how do you “fix” the four Americans who are killed due to a naive, distracted and incompetent CIC. Yeah, I went there.

Fallon on October 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM

For the Dem’cat…..just 1 American killed by terrorists under a GOP POTUS….is optimal

Can one forsee the wailing and knashing of teeth by the Left if/when that happens under a Romney Admin

sbark on October 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM

If you can’t immediately find and rely on the most appropriate word to describe something, you just take a moment to reflect. Then, you use the best word you can think of to suit the situation and context– Tragedy, catastrophe, or vicious terrorist attack. This strategy’s usefulness is predicated on it being applied by someone who’s mindful, thoughtful and compassionate. Someone, anyone other than Barry.

Slainte on October 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM

When is going to face the press on this issue?

TarheelBen on October 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Never, the press won’t let him, they know it is a loser for their Messiah.

Wade on October 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Ann looked stunning. Michelle: no show.

matthew8787 on October 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Must not have been a buffet or the Mooch would have been so there.

Aviator on October 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM

4 americans killed by terrorists: not optimal

3 americans killed by terrorists: not great

2 americans killed by terrorists: not helpful

1 american killed by terrorists: not my concern

matthew8787 on October 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Three hundred dead Mexicans? Phht. Bumps in the road.

slickwillie2001 on October 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM

What a pompous, callous jackwagon.

kingsjester on October 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Kind of a toss up as to who is more clueless–Obama or Biden.

Just put this comment in the category of–what if Romney said it?

bailey24 on October 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Hey it will be cheap…see Obama IS making our lives more affordable.

CW on October 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Yep, he saved a lot of money to US taxpayers on four retirement accounts.

hawkdriver on October 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

ghostwriter on October 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

O always thinks he’s a head and shoulder above all. After all, he had been compared to God.

Also, O always answer with half thought, as if he was unable to stay with his train of thought or was afraid to finish it because it was not what he truly believes in. For example:

Did he forget to the word “first” as in “…that America’s security comes first…”?

vnohara on October 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

The great thing about the reaction to this comment is that it will irritate the heck out of Obama. It’s not just the lies Obama has to worry about he also has to pretend that he cares. He does not do empathy well because it’s not sincere.

Benghazi is a thorn in Obama’s side that won’t go away. He thought the MSMedia could hide it like Fast/Furious and make it disappear. I hope all of the departed souls from FF/Benghazi are haunting him. Karma

bailey24 on October 18, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Okay, I’ll say it, Mitt is eye candy.

Typicalwhitewoman on October 18, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Crapola, wrong thread. It’s the alcohol…

Typicalwhitewoman on October 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I’m betting that this never sees the light of day on the show. They will edit it out. We’ll know soon enough.

The Good Doctor on October 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I am so tired of this clueless, arrogant man…it would be most optimal if he would just get lost on one of those many golf courses he frequents and was never seen again…

StarLady on October 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM

If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal.

What do you mean, “if”?

And if four is not the “optimal” number, what is? What is the “sweet spot” in the distribution of Americans killed? What is the golden mean — to too few, not too many… just the right amount? At what point can you stop, turn off the teleprompter, wipe the sweat from your brow, and say “Enough! My work here is done!”

Kenosha Kid on October 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM

4 americans killed by terrorists: not optimal

3 americans killed by terrorists: not great

2 americans killed by terrorists: not helpful

1 american killed by terrorists: not my concern

matthew8787 on October 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Three hundred dead Mexicans? Phht. Bumps in the road.

slickwillie2001 on October 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM

And yet the only person arrested for this “crime” is the Coptic Christian American film maker.

monalisa on October 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Obama : “Here’s what I’ll say. If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal.

The media was crazy about Romney’s “binder” remark, but I’m betting Obama’s idiocy here won’t trouble them one little bit.

RJL on October 19, 2012 at 1:33 AM

What I noticed reading the transcript is the use of “my presidency”. Obama continues to be the center of the imaginary universe he is living in.

stout77 on October 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM

The hits keep coming. The wheels are falling off folks. It’s a slow-motion train wreck. It’s been an awesome day. This is the beginning of the end of Hopenchange.

My favorite comment so far, you summed it up beautifully, even if you are not fully convinced Romney is going to turn this country around, Obama deserves to lose based on his horrid job performance and utter arrogance that starts with him and flows down the administration cabal.

The thuggish, smarmy, arrogant, clueless, entitled, disrespectful, power mad, mafia like, lying, lying, lying behavior of David Phony Axelrod, Valerie Jarrett, Jay Carnival Barker Carney, Robert Gibby Gibbs, the Mayor of Violence Central aka Chicago Rahm dirtbag Emanuel, Joe Beretta Biden, Stephanie Bullshiite Cutter and the list goes on and on, it is funny to watch their mafia brand of Chicago politics go up in flames.

They deserve to lose because they did not run on ideas, they ran on hate and yes they will run to 7 figure jobs after election day, fine, enjoy it, at least we won’t have to listen to their propaganda anymore.

War69DotCom on October 19, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Somebody mentioned the ultimate point, why is Obama going on a comedy show to discuss a terrorist attack in which 4 Americans were killed.

Secondly the idiot in chief just extended the Benghazi headlines for a few more news cycles.

And I love how it was John Stewart that was indirectly involved in this. Stewart is often funny and he does sometimes attack both sides but the liberal media look to him as if he is Walter Cronkite, nice to see Stewart sabotage Obama, even if it is just a small sabotage.

War69DotCom on October 19, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Um, I killed Osama Bin Laden, and shut up.

Look over there; we’ve got people banning contraception.

Oh, I forgot. I’m The One.

The End.

TheOneWe’veAllegedlyBeenWaitingFor on October the ?? at ??:?? ?M.

hillbillyjim on October 19, 2012 at 3:53 AM

I can’t wait for Ojesus to wax nostalgic about the joyous and wonderful days of the so-called Arab Spring, wherein the Middle East was magically transformed, by his magnificent speechifying and apologizing, from a simple hellhole filled with rabid Jihad-bent warriors armed with modern heavy weapons to a hellhole filled with rabid Jihad-bent warriors armed with an overflowing abundance of even more-modern heavy weapons given to them by his benevolent intervention.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒S M A R T▒▒ P O W E R.▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

hillbillyjim on October 19, 2012 at 4:07 AM

My take.

kingsjester on October 19, 2012 at 6:27 AM

“If four Americans get killed, it is not optimal”

Sound like buzzwords from some Harvard sociology class. “The optimal dispersal of peer group concentrations is contingent functionally on their habit strength, drive and motility”. (The faster people move away from each other, the more quickly they will disperse). So nice to be so objective and “scientific” about 4 deaths-especially when caused by your negligence.

MaiDee on October 19, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Stewart served up a chance for Obama to get on his high horse and express some genuine outrage regarding Libya. He purposely used the word “optimal” to allow Obama to tee off. It was a signal.
And Obama BLEW it. Unbelievable.
That is one sound bite Obama will regret.

Jabberwock on October 19, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Ok so what is he lefties…. The most gifted brilliant orator of our time or a muddle headed slow wit that needs to read or hear the words in order to speak……you can’t it have both ways though with the excuses you make for him you desperately seem to be trying to.

Caseoftheblues on October 19, 2012 at 7:17 AM

The optimal outcome Obama was looking for: “American consulate attacked, 4 Americans, including Amb Stevens taken hostage.” He could have looked all presidential negotiating release. Sub optimal: All four killed, but at least he gets to look presidential getting America through this crisis. Remember, the world is centered on Obama. Optimal/ sub-optimal is referenced to himself.

tdarrington on October 19, 2012 at 7:39 AM

The most gifted brilliant orator of our time
Caseoftheblues on October 19, 2012 at 7:17 AM

He is the incarnation of Oratus, the little known, but still significant Greek God of Public Speaking.

tdarrington on October 19, 2012 at 7:42 AM

“If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal” -President Obama

What is your “optimal” number sir?
Were you expecting more to die?

mechkiller_k on October 19, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Of coarse it wasn’t “optimal”!
Romney was right from day one.
It wasn’t “optimal” because it didn’t work to Obama’s political favor no matter which lie he told and continues to tell.

Perhaps Candy Crowley should just go around with Obama as his fat fact checker and the story will just go away.

kregg on October 19, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Ukiah on October 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I prefer “outrage” to “tragedy.” And the shout-out had slipped my mind. I suppose we should be glad for the very small favor of that omission–it would not have been optimal.

DrMagnolias on October 19, 2012 at 8:23 AM

How this guy “leads” anyone on foreign policy by any points is just simply beyond me. God-damn socialist propaganda media must go.

rollthedice on October 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM

What Obama said:
“Here’s what I’ll say. If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal. We’re going to fix it. All of it.”

What Obama meant:
“John, what are you doing? This question wasn’t on the list we gave you. My job as president is to look cool and get re-elected. That’s about it. Did some people die? Yes. But what do you want me to do about it? I don’t even actually sign the letters notifying parents of the war dead, you think an ambassador getting murdered in a human-caused tragedy is going to ruin my day? He knew the risks. Sure, he kinda asked for more security, but he didn’t tell me personally so it was someone else’s fault. Blame Hillary. She already said the buck stops with her, so let’s move on to the important stuff. I have an interview with US Weekly coming up……..”

smfic on October 19, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Here is the video

Make it into 30 seconds and blast it on 11 Mitt!!!

Zaggs on October 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM

A “bump in the road”.

*spit*

petefrt on October 19, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Captain of the Titanic; “That iceberg was sub-optimal.”

percysunshine on October 19, 2012 at 9:12 AM

FLASHBACK to the glory days … I wonder where these ‘obama youth’ foot soldiers are today?

Pork-Chop on October 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM

What a pompous, callous jackwagon.

kingsjester on October 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Indeed.

SparkPlug on October 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Link to video:

One commenter on the vid made the point similar to Allah. Perhaps the meaning here is “If four Americans are killed [the response] isn’t optimal.”

The rest of the context doesn’t necessarily support that, but it’s possible.

Berlin Fernsehturm on October 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM

That link is via FrimmerNews.

Berlin Fernsehturm on October 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM

And you make sure that you find out what’s broken and you fix it.

And then, Mr. Daily politely asked jug ears so Mr. Prezzy does this mean that all is fixed and our embassies are now secure? What no follow up?

Kissmygrits on October 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Where’s Candy Crowley so she can tell Obama he used the wrong word?

bflat879 on October 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

terryannonline on October 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM

She has a good point – it may not be wise to go totally Binders-BigBird Berserk over this remark.

Right Mover on October 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Wasn’t a “press conference”, it was a scheduled speech at a “Tribal Nations Conference”.

whatcat on October 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Have to agree with AP that this is a non-story unlike the “bumps in the road” statement. But that leads me to ask why the misleading headline, AP?

Benaiah on October 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Why isn’t this clown washing dishes at an IHOP in East St. Louis?

Galtian on October 19, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Why isn’t this clown washing dishes at an IHOP in East St. Louis?

Galtian on October 19, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Couldn’t pass the Social Security card check?

slickwillie2001 on October 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM

No matter the situation or the context/tone of Stewart’s question, the subject of the President’s answer were four dead Americans. The only correct answer/tone for such a subject is a solemn one, a ‘Presidential’ one.

Scopper on October 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

We should be hearing a LOT more about this, if there is any justice in the world. If I were a member of the Foreign Service in any potential hotspot, I would be taking no comfort at all in the President’s assurances that AFTER the fact he will leave no stone unturned to determine what went wrong in the first place.

Really, Barry, if the government is just too big for you to handle right now, then maybe we oughta downsize it a bit for ya.

Step 1: November 6

Step 2: President Romney . . .

dissent555 on October 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM

We are just bumps to the big people!
Lord those turds n Washington DC dont know they are servents. We employ them and for oblunder to say its just bumps or not optimal.
WAKE UP AMERICA FIRE THE TURDS IN WASHINGTON. TAKE BACK YOUR CONTROL OVER YOU GOVERNMENT.

ColdWarrior57 on October 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Obama claimed during the debate that he called the Benghazi attack an ‘act of terrorism’ on day 1…then sent out Carney, Rice, Hillary, & Biden to talk about how it was over a video, NOT an act of terrorism, for 2 weeks. Today the CIA released more evidence showing the WH/Obama was notified within 24 hours of the attack that it was a terrorist attack. We already KNEW this, though, as a military drone flew overhead sending live streaming video of the 6-hour attack to the State Department & WH, showing approx 100 terrorists armed with rocket launchers & automatic weapons attack & finally kill Ambassador Stevens & 3 other Americans!

ON CAMERA at the debate he claimed he never delayed but called it terrorism immediately…but OFF CAMERA, where Obama has been caught more than once being himself/telling the truth when he thought he was off mike, told Mr. Ladka (man who asked the question about Libya) that he ‘waited weeks’ to make sure the Intel he was fetting was true! The next debate is on FOREIGN POLICY…and as every day goes by more and more of the truth comes out, as does the evidence that this administration has tried – and FAILED – to orchestrate a massive cover-up of their complete failure in Benghazi – how they abandoned 4 Americans to die. Obama now calls those deaths ‘not optimal’. Good Lord!

Hillary stepped up to take 1 for the Obama team, declaring she is responsible….good for her – she IS responsible! PROVING THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILITY IN THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION, Hillary still has a job as Secretary of State after this huge FAILURE & attempted COVER UP!

ON THE DAY OF HIS DEATH Ambassador Stevens, who had requested additional security after 2 attacks prior to 9/11/12 and was denied, sent a message informing/warning the President & Sect of State that Al Qaeda training camps were springing up in the country, that the new Libyan govt that was still trying to stand up could do nothing about the growing numbers of terrorists, & that the Al Qaeda flag had even been seen flying over some Government buildings. (One might equate this to General Custer, having been denied more troops, sending a telegram warning his superiors that it seems there are a LOT of indians & more signs of hostile indians have been found lately…..then never being heard of again….)

Obama and Hillary sparred in their own debate in 2008, arguing who was better qualified to answer that ’1am phone call’…BOTH of them got that phone call – SEVERAL TIMES (Stevens’ staff asked for more security after both previous attacks & were not only denied more security but were scolded for continually asking)- and REFUSED TO ANSWER the call. They were called THREE TIMES (Stevens twice), the 3rd and final time being the CIA who informed them the attack was a terrorist attack. This 3rd call, as the CIA released today, proves the Obama administration knew within 24 hours of the attack that there was NO DOUBT this was a terrorist attack. Not only did they REFUSE TO ANSWER THE CALL, they then LIED FOR WEEKS about the results of their not answering that call!

easyt65 on October 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Even crazy Joe has never said anything that dumb.

Axion on October 19, 2012 at 9:18 PM