Quotes of the day

posted at 10:51 pm on October 17, 2012 by Allahpundit

Speaking in Mount Vernon, Iowa, Mr. Obama made his own reference to Mr. Romney’s “binders” comment, saying that there were enough talented women in the country that finding them required no special search.

Mr. Romney, at a campaign rally in Chesapeake, Va., hit back. “This president has failed America’s women,” he said. “They’ve suffered in terms of getting jobs. They’ve suffered in terms of falling into poverty.”…

Through polling and focus groups, the Romney campaign has found that while undecided women said they were concerned primarily about economic issues, they were troubled by whether Mr. Romney’s positions on issues like abortion and contraception were too unyielding…

Mr. Romney’s campaign had its own offensive ready. In a phone call with reporters, Senator Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire said “when the president talks about women’s issues he doesn’t talk about his vision for how he’s going to make sure that we address the number of women who are under- or unemployed.”

***

“You heard the debate last night,” Biden told a crowd of more than 1,000 at the Island Grove Regional Park Exhibition Hall. “When Gov. Romney was asked a direct question about equal pay, he started talking about binders. Whoa! The idea that he had to go and ask where a qualified woman was, he just should have come to my house. He didn’t need a binder.

“For good measure, Romney said, on multiple occasions, that he wants to get rid of Planned Parenthood,” Biden added. “Look, talk about being out of touch. It’s not just the Swiss bank accounts and the Cayman Islands. No, really isn’t. It’s more than that. That I understand him doing. I can’t understand someone running for president doing [it], but I can understand him doing it. … But what I can’t understand is how he has gotten in this sort of 1950s time warp in terms of women.”

***

On CBS Wednesday morning, vice presidential running mate Paul Ryan defended Romney’s point.

“All he simply meant was that he went out of his way to try to recruit qualified women to serve in his administration when he was governor,” the Republican congressman told “CBS This Morning.” “That’s really what he was saying. And, by the way, he has an exceptional record of hiring women in very prominent positions in his administration, and that’s the point he was making.”

***

An adviser to the Romney campaign with knowledge of Romney’s hiring process acknowledged that the former governor had been approached about — and agreed to — the pledge before taking office, and that the outside group had already been engaging in independent outreach efforts to solicit resumes for women who would be willing to work in government. The adviser, however, argued that Romney “actively sought” the binders out upon taking office because he wanted to make use of their resources.

“When Governor Romney came into office he undertook to fulfill his pledge. And while many of the top positions were filled by women who Gov. Romney found on his own through the transition process, through his business contacts, he also worked very cooperatively with the Massachusetts Women’s Caucus and reached out to them to make use of them and their resources,” the Romney adviser told CBS News. “We didn’t have to accept those names, we didn’t have to ask them for it to fulfill the pledge.”…

According to a study by the University of Massachusetts Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy using data provided by MassGAP, the percentage of women appointed to senior-level positions in Massachusetts government did rise – from approximately 30 percent prior to the 2002 election to 42 percent by 2004. Among those appointed were Kerry Healey, who became Romney’s lieutenant governor (and also served as the liaison in the process with MassGAP) and chief of staff Beth Myers. Between 2004 and 2006, the study says women made up just 25 percent of Romney’s 64 new appointments, lower than when he was elected.

***

Via Mediaite.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

First!

IamDA on October 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Last!

Electrongod on October 17, 2012 at 10:53 PM

BOGUS!

Lanceman on October 17, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Bishop.

platypus on October 17, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Oh, and GUTMEANDPOKEME!

Lanceman on October 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Waiting for the Walking Dead write-up Allah…

Donald Draper on October 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Any woman that followed Obama…
Failed themselves…

Electrongod on October 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Okay… What is this? A shadowy website with a blurred document claiming to be an October Surprise that will lead to a Reagan-like landslide???

And a countdown clock, releasing the document on Monday?????

Please let it not be a tax thing with Mitt….

But it just as well could be proof of Obama claiming he’s a foreigner on college records.

Any ideas? Heard any rumors????

pamplonajack on October 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Tagg Romney Says He Wanted To ‘Take A Swing At’ President Obama For Calling Mitt Romney ‘Liar’

The same people who gushed over a movie fantasizing about the murder of President Bush will condemn this.

joekenha on October 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Big Bird and no Binders.

How desperate are they?

aunursa on October 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

It doesn’t count if you don’t actually read the QOTD.

So, real firstest.

cozmo on October 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

now Binders

aunursa on October 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I was tempted to go First, but chickened out in the end!

txmomof6 on October 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Watching the NY senate debate on C-SPAN. I like Wendy Long but she has no shot.

22044 on October 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Don’t worry. We’re in the midst of a HUGE recovery.

Lanceman on October 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Oh, and GUTMEANDPOKEME!

Lanceman on October 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Pokey will be here..
After analyzing the leftest polls.

Electrongod on October 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I loves the Ladies!

Bmore on October 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

First!

IamDA on October 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM

+100

Like to see new firsts..

Electrongod on October 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I loves the Ladies!

Bmore on October 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

No you don’t.

cozmo on October 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Big Bird, Binders, what other trivial B-words can the Democrat/media complex come up with next?

And no, Benghazi doesn’t qualify. That’s actually a relevant issue.

Doughboy on October 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

finding them required no special search

No special search?

Kind of explains his SCOTUS nominations, doesn’t it? Obama just calls out “get me some lady parts!” and there she is.

malclave on October 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

“I think the most exciting part of the debate is when Mitt Romney mentioned Binders full of women. It caught my attention.”

-Bill Clinton

portlandon on October 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

This was funny. On Instapundit:

NEAREST STAR HAS EARTH-MASS PLANET. “European astronomers have discovered a planet with about the mass of the Earth orbiting a star in the Alpha Centauri system – the nearest to Earth… Before you fire up the Jupiter 2, however (don’t forget to debug the robot, and get a new doctor)

Lanceman on October 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I loves the Ladies!

Bmore on October 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Can I join your club?

I have no beef with the ladies…

Electrongod on October 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

pamplonajack on October 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM

mooch was really born a man? is that the October surprise???

GhoulAid on October 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Another good Romney ad stating that the abortion issue isnt that important when it comes the economics that effect all of us.

Yet, SoCons take note: it cleavery maintains a pro life position with the universally accepted exceptions.
Smart, pro life politics executed with political intelligence by our RINO candidate.

Are you taking notes SoCons and evangelicals?

This is how you do it.

rickyricardo on October 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Tired of being pandered to. Liberal women do not, under any circumstances, represent me. I have the same concerns as most men. I’m more than a walking set of reproductive organs. The fact that leftist women like being treated as such is a little mind boggling.

I guess the difference between myself and lefty women is I don’t consider myself a victim of anything. Funny how that changes one’s outlook on life.

conservative_student on October 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I loves the Ladies!

Bmore on October 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

No you don’t.

cozmo on October 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Food fight!

Electrongod on October 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

“Hey Mitt, be a pal and put me in touch with whoever has those Binders full of Women.”

-Bill Clinton

portlandon on October 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

It doesn’t count if you don’t actually read the QOTD.

So, real firstest.

cozmo on October 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Read ‘em all, but didn’t watch any of the bites. I leave that for others to do.

IamDA on October 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Pokey will be here..
After analyzing the leftest polls.

Electrongod on October 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

WHEN are you all gonna get it? He ain’t a troll. He’s just jerkin’ y’alls chains.

Lanceman on October 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Lanceman on October 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I thought it was a bummer. The rocky planet is too hot and the gas giant, isn’t much of a giant.

cozmo on October 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Mitt has binders full of qualified women.

Obama has computer databases full of women on food stamps.

Compare and contrast the role of technology in today’s economy.

Wino on October 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Binders is the new big bird. Obama’s just trying to fire up something, and he’s failing. There is nothing wrong with a search for qualified women.

MeatHeadinCA on October 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Oh course no special search is required.
Affirmative Action baby.
I sat through many an interview to question candidates, designed for just that.

bazil9 on October 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Lanceman on October 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Jerkin…
or Jerkin…..

He is still in chains..

Sad really…

Electrongod on October 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Libs and the msm are more obsessed with lady parts than Larry Flint.

Tim_CA on October 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM

No you don’t.

cozmo on October 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Well, I used to, now I Love the Lady. Crap who am I trying to kid. I loves the Ladies! ; )

Bmore on October 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

rickyricardo on October 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

You love poking sticks in the eye of pro-lifers and social conservatives, don’t you? You’re living at troll level.

INC on October 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

This whole abortion/contraception thing is so lame. The only change that will ever be made to the abortion laws is the possibility of it being turned over to individual states, and ANYONE, I repeat ANYONE, can get free contraceptives from PlannedParenthood, or any Gov’t medical office. I can’t believe these sleazy libs have gotten so much traction from out and out lies. I also can’t believe how stupid some women are!

BettyRuth on October 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Mitt has binders full of qualified women.

Obama has computer databases full of women on food stamps.

Compare and contrast the role of technology in today’s economy.

Wino on October 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM

ObamaPhone…

Electrongod on October 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM

There is nothing wrong with a search for qualified women.

MeatHeadinCA on October 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM

As I’ve always said.

cozmo on October 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Yes, but that robot is a model B9.

Where have I heard that before…

Lanceman on October 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Hi Scrumpy.

SparkPlug on October 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Looking for some binders full of women to jump into.

TXUS on October 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM

INC on October 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

He really is a childish dick. And I’m pro-aborto.

Lanceman on October 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Yes, but that robot is a model B9.

Where have I heard that before…

Lanceman on October 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Bad Lanceman, bad…and oh so funny.

cozmo on October 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM

B9
she’s mine
it rhymes
that’s fine

SparkPlug on October 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM

rickyricardo on October 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I’m not effected by economics.

malclave on October 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM

And a countdown clock, releasing the document on Monday?????

Please let it not be a tax thing with Mitt….

Any ideas? Heard any rumors????

pamplonajack on October 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Probably just more “war on teh wimmuns”

Hawkerflyer on October 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM

rickyricardo on October 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

INC on October 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

You take it as a poke..its reality on a level you dont want to see. His opinion doesnt mean he is trying to offend you. Tolerance..no? thats what I am told.
I agree with ricky here. Oh my.

bazil9 on October 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM

This is how you do it.

rickyricardo on October 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Thought we already went over this. Cheating and lying don’t work for me. One more time and you will forever be considered a troll. You want to win or do you want to troll. I get to all you rino’s in due time friend.

Bmore on October 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Hawkerflyer on October 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Heh. If 300 dead Mexicans and a dead ambassador don’t matter, what do you think will?

Lanceman on October 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I=I’ll

Bmore on October 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM

binders…….so they don’t have to talk about Benghazi!!!

SQUIRRRRRRRRRREL!!!!

#fail

I’m hoping Mitt might be campaigning in California the last weekend of the campaign…

…..I know it’s just a fantasy. :-))))

PappyD61 on October 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM

what a disgusting person. So 1. mandate soft quotas 2. claim you don’t need a special search

barry is just a lying pos, i know…he knows full well what he and other leftists require of businesses.

in a honest world, a world with an honest press, he would be laughed out of the room

r keller on October 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Saw a great bumper sticker today,,

Vote for the Mormon,
Not the moron.

The r in Morman was the double Romney Ryan symbol.
The o in moron was the barky symbol.

Yes, it was a Ford pickup truck.

wolly4321 on October 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I’m not sure why some women think it’s cool to have something given to them that they have not earned. I would expect any reputable employer to search for qualified candidates and hire the best available (I know, I’m dreaming here).

I would feel very uncomfortable knowing that I had been given something simply because of my gender. Seems a lot of other women aren’t afflicted with that problem!

PS: I’ve been a lurker here at HotAir since 2007, just haven’t had much time to post and catching an open registration was next to impossible. Not an activated troll account, promise!

conservative_student on October 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Spark Plug
hes my man
if no one can do it
he can.

Lmao

bazil9 on October 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Benghazi——–Fast and Furious 2!!

The North African Adventure.

PappyD61 on October 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I don’t understand this! What the hell else are you supposed to keep resumes in?

JohnBrown on October 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I agree with ricky here. Oh my.

bazil9 on October 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I guess you never saw the lengthy response that I made to you weeks and weeks ago. I labored over it for a long time to try to say things exactly the right way so you would understand me.

Now weeks later, out of the clear blue sky you come out with this? It appears that you have written me off, but I have not done that to you.

INC on October 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Oops…!

Seven Percent Solution on October 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM

…I’ve seen what passes for the female homosapien figureheads in the JugEar administration…those are not women!

KOOLAID2 on October 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Yeah that octsurprise is cryptic. Legal insurrection mentioned it and some of the responses were that it was probably nothing. However there is some blurry papers included supposedly, and one person thought it was a tax return. Others said they thought they saw the Commonwealth of Mass. on it. What Romney could have done in Mass. that people wouldn’t know would be hard to believe…

sandee on October 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM

“There was in no way a boys’-club atmosphere in our administration,” Healy adds, “and I think that that contrasts very starkly with what we have heard from the accounts of some female staffers in the White House who have called the atmosphere in the White House a hostile workplace.”

Seven Percent Solution on October 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM

This White House is not just a hostile workplace for women, but a workplace hostile to the whole country, except of course for its cronies.

TXUS on October 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM

r keller on October 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM

That’s O.K.

We the People are going to get the last laugh on November 6th.

JPeterman on October 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

One and done (Obama and posting tonight). A little night music as I head off to bed.

Fallon on October 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM

How do you guys keep up with people posting? Is there some kind of reply-notification system that I’m unaware of? Thanks!

conservative_student on October 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM

conservative_student on October 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Welcome Comrade!

JPeterman on October 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM

conservative_student on October 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Constant refreshing.

22044 on October 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM

bazil9 on October 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM

INC on October 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM

No I didnt.
I dont have a reply/comment bell here.
If you did, thank you..I would like to read it. Sincerely. Tell me where?
No clear blue sky..my views are what they are.
And so are yours.
I prefer to focus on common ground and not our
slight differences. We have more in common then different.
I dont know this poster-responded with what I read.

bazil9 on October 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I loves the Ladies!

Bmore on October 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

No you don’t.

cozmo
on October 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM

You “playing troll” again?

listens2glenn on October 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM

conservative_student on October 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM

LOL..No.

bazil9 on October 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM

conservative_student on October 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM

F-5

Lanceman on October 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM

JPeterman on October 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Thank you, JPeterman! I enjoy your posts!

conservative_student on October 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM

S

I like how they paraphrased that for Obama — actually quote was “I’ve got to tell you, we don’t have to collect a bunch of binders to find qualified, talented, driven young women, ready to learn and teach in these fields right now.”

Because being a teacher is an *acceptable* career for women, dontchaknow.

Don’t you just love how the MSM takes a statement from Romney about how he actively recruited qualified women to fill senior leadership positions in his cabinet/MA administration & twist it to make it sound sexist while taking something that Obama says that actually kind of is sexist (or at least can be read as sexist much easier than Romney’s comment can) because of the historical “acceptable women’s jobs” (teacher, nurse, librarian) and not only ignore it, but purposefully hide it.

Dark Star on October 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Liberals are wearing rose-colored glasses.

jaime on October 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM

My support of Mitt Romney is not based on his being a Republican or a Conservative or even the fact that he is, as far as my research has been able to determine, probably the most decent human being to run for President in the last 30 years.

I DO NOT “believe” in politicians or political parties or even political causes.

All that aside, the reason I am supporting Mitt Romney’s candidacy is summed up by the complete lack of substance in the SCOAMF’s campaign:

Big Bird? Binders? SQUIRREL!

Anyone voting for the SCOAMF has no concern for themselves; their children, family and frieds; or this country.

The are literally voting for Zero. Zip. Nothing.

As for the MSM, they are past the point of even being able to feel shame for having given up the honor of what was once an important part of what made this country work.

May the liberals and the MSM get what they deserve – nothing but a lot of public scorn and ridicule.

PolAgnostic on October 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I really can’t stand Joe Biden.

SAZMD on October 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I want you all to see what I am responding to with Ricky and what he suggested.

If Romney can win this, I think the SoCons need to reassess how they approach national elections. Social issues are nothing but divisive. Finding common ground for concern and focusing relentlessly on those issues is what Romney is doing. He’s not waisting his energy resources yammering about traditional SoCon concerns.

Everything SoCons care for can be dealt with under the radar after power is taken. Not before….and even then they need to reframe their public arguments just like the progressives have done for their issues for the last 3 decades.

rickyricardo on October 17, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Now ask yourselves why he is doing this.

Bmore on October 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM

KOOLAID2 on October 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I think Stephanie Cutter’s pretty. Her mind, however . . . . .

listens2glenn on October 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM

You guys post rreeeaallllyyyy fast sometimes. Trying to just read threads before they’re 10 pages long, let alone also commenting, is challenging.

Refresh it is!

conservative_student on October 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Electrongod on October 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I almost skipped that. Thanks very much, Electrongod!

IamDA on October 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM

We may be winning, but it’s going to be a vicious fight to the end.

jaime on October 17, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I think Stephanie Cutter’s pretty. Her mind, however . . . . .

listens2glenn on October 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM

You have a thing for DWS also.

RickB on October 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I see the liberals have their panties in a bunch over Tagg Romney.

Mark1971 on October 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Lol! How sad that this is all the Obama campaign can come up with! When did the chicago thug machine, become the 3rd grade bully? Really? This is what the dems are pinning their hopes on, to stem the tide of Romney’s popularity, after he beat them twice? Is it me? Or is this a new level of childishness?
OHH, the dems think this will distract or deflect from the, “Flat Out, Bold Faced, Lie” Obama told at the debate! Yea, see… there’s video & a “Transcript”, that shows the LIE!So, we’ll ask again, did you say Benghazi was an “Act Of Terror”, in the Rose Garden of the White House, before you hopped on Air Force 1 to Vegas for fund raising on 9/12? The Failure-in-chief hits a new low!
Update on:How to take on the Obama Enemy media & Win: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Since DJ Jackie is MIA-
Time for a tune.
For my dudes here-

Cozmo..for you especially. :)

bazil9 on October 17, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Biden told a crowd of more than 1,000 at the Island Grove Regional Park Exhibition Hall. CAPACITY=2100 (from their website) He got less than 1/2 of that. Big draw there joey!
Jeebus, the line out the door at “Support Chik-Fil-A Day” was bigger than this!

hutch1200 on October 17, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Victory usually takes some sacrifice. Donate to your favorite campaign (Executive or Legislature).

jaime on October 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM

bazil9 on October 17, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I’m not MIA….I’m lurking, enjoying a small, very special, dutch Raspberry liqueur and a hand made chocolate after luxuriating in a long, hot bath.

I worked like a demon the last several days, and now I’m treating myself.

Good evening, B9.:)

thatsafactjack on October 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM

listens2glenn on October 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM

You have a thing for DWS also.

RickB on October 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM

listening to Beck does that to a person.

:-D

The War Planner on October 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM

INC-I am waiting for you?
Speak now or forever hold your peeeese..
I have a long work week..wont be here again for a bit.

bazil9 on October 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Wow. This is all they got? Binders full of women and a joke made by Tagg Romney. They are truly throwing the kitchen sink.

terryannonline on October 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM

thatsafactjack on October 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Yum!

Bmore on October 17, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Refresh it is!

conservative_student on October 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM

?????? … this is a sloooooww night for QOTD thread.

Last night’s open thread for the debate – now that was a speed reading challenge!

If at all possible, a multiple screen setup is really very helpful.

Most laptops can drive a seperate monitor while you use the laptop screen.

PolAgnostic on October 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM

rickyricardo on October 17, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Why do you try so hard to keep the “battle of the primaries” alive and kicking? It seems like you can’t make one comment without taking a jab at “socons.”

Are you aware of how many of those “socons” you enjoy poking sticks at have accepted that Romney is the nominee, and have donated their hard earned cash and busted their asses to get him elected?

That is what we’re fighting for after all. Or at least most of us are.

Flora Duh on October 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM