Videos: Obama 0-4 for 2008 townhall-debate promises

posted at 2:41 pm on October 16, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

With this year’s townhall debate ready to go, BuzzFeed’s Andrew Kaczynski took a trip on the Wayback Machine to the townhall-forum debate from four years ago, when an ascendant Barack Obama offered his prescription for the next four years.  How well has Obama done in achieving the agenda he promised voters at that event?  Let’s just say that if this were a college course, Obama would be far from a “good, solid B-plus.”

What did 2008 Obama promise to do with budgets?  “I’m cutting more than I’m spending.”

Also, remember the promise to “go through the budget line by line, eliminate programs that don’t work”?  I guess we can chalk that up as a zero, too:

We already know how his pledge to use tens of billions of dollars to create “5 million new jobs” in the green-energy sector turned out:

The last point is arguable, at least in part.  Obama pledged to reform Medicare and Social Security in his first term. He never even bothered to propose a Social Security reform plan, but Obama could argue that ObamaCare was his version of Medicare reform — even though it didn’t do anything but add even more unfunded entitlement liabilities to that fiscal freight train heading toward us over the next two to three decades:

I guess if we want to be fair, we should give Obama half credit on that one.  What’s his score?  Out of four promises, Obama gets a 0.5 — for a score of 12.5%, which is a good, solid F-minus, even on the curve.

That’s not to say that Obama’s done nothing as President.  He’s made lots of ch-ch-ch-changes, as Steven Crowder and Chris Loesch point out in their new video:

If they do “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart” next, I’m going on vacation.

Comments

What did 2008 Obama promise to do with budgets? ”I’m cutting more than I’m spending.”

Axelrod, at the end of this debate, said Obama meant that tax increases were spending cuts.

lorien1973 on October 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Oh, c’mon, Ed. Obviously Obama went through the budget line-by-line and determined that every program is essential.

Doughboy on October 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM

C. Schick’s Bold Debate prediction for tonight:

Tomorrow morning Gumbyandpokey’s mother will be asking why his pillow is covered in bitemarks and tears.

Chuck Schick on October 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM

But things were so much worse than even Dear Leader imagined…he has had so many things to deal with. What do you think he has been doing playing golf or sumptin’?

d1carter on October 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Not anymore. Nowadays, if you can sign your name, you’re on the Dean’s Honor Roll. And if you vomit up the puke that the Professor spewed on you, you’re on the President’s Honor Roll.

And, if you’re in African-American or Women’s Studies, you don’t even have to go to class to be an Honor Student.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM

shake shake shake
;-)

burrata on October 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM

This charlatan laid it on real thick in 2008.

Wigglesworth on October 16, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I guess if we want to be fair, we should give Obama half credit on that one. What’s his score? Out of four promises, Obama gets a 0.5 — for a score of 12.5%, which is a good, solid F-minus, even on the curve.

BWAHAHAHAH… A good solid F-

SWalker on October 16, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Well, it’s official…..

Clips from the 2008 campaign are now as racist as references to Chicago and golf.

Happy Nomad on October 16, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Who wants to be fair?

Happy Nomad on October 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I notice that we still have pain, smog, and uncomfortable pants, too.

Pretty sure the Emperor God-Boy-King promised to rectify those, as well. He said a lot of stuff. “A bunch of stuff”, even.

Jeddite on October 16, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Wouldn’t “go(ing) through the budget line by line, eliminate programs that don’t work” sort of require actually having a budget?

Mr. Bingley on October 16, 2012 at 2:52 PM

If they do “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart” next, I’m going on vacation.

If one of them makes a passable Kiki Dee, I’m turnin’ in my man card.

There was something kinda’ creepy about the guy in the David bowie “magic dance” outfit.

cozmo on October 16, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Who wants to be fair?

Happy Nomad on October 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Not me.

forest on October 16, 2012 at 2:54 PM

but Obama could argue that ObamaCare was his version of Medicare reform — even though it didn’t do anything but add even more unfunded entitlement liabilities to that fiscal freight train heading toward us over the next two to three decades:

I guess if we want to be fair, we should give Obama half credit on that one.

It is amazing you say that, Ed. In effect what he has done is to do everything possible to hasten the demise of medicare. That does not mean he has reformed it, by any stretch of imagination.

Actually he should get a ZERO if not a -0.5. This should be a solid.. what?

Fair?

vpaddy123 on October 16, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Also, remember the promise to “go through the budget line by line, eliminate programs that don’t work”? I guess we can chalk that up as a zero, too:

IIRC Zero is the number of votes his budget(s) got.

Oh well. At least he tried to put one out.

Jabberwock on October 16, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Mr. Bingley on October 16, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Hmmmph.
You’re obviously a racist.

justltl on October 16, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Extremist Ideologues, like Obama, will never be able to keep campaign promises. The promises are always for show purposes only. He is in full Socialist Ideologue mode when implementing policies. He is a fantasy of a “middle of the road” politico when he’s on the air. How many times do you have to see the same routine, til you say, “oh, ok, he’s doing it again”?
Update on How to take on the Enemy media & Win: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 16, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Who wants to be fair?

Happy Nomad on October 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Not me.

forest on October 16, 2012 at 2:54 PM

More racists.

Gee, this is easy.

justltl on October 16, 2012 at 3:03 PM

0-4? dude, if he were a mom jean wearin’ pitcher then he’d be relieved………..

ted c on October 16, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Remember when he promised not to use Executive Signing Orders to get his way?

Obama on Presidential Signing Statements

Flora Duh on October 16, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Now see, that was just a miscommunication. What Obama meant to say that he was going to eliminate workers. Programs like Obamaphone are doing fine.

Happy Nomad on October 16, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Chuck Schick on October 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM

And, whether he will EVER stop soiling his Buzz Lightyear underwear and Spongebob Squarepants linens.

Resist We Much on October 16, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Flora Duh…I’ve never seen anyone get away with as much as this president/administration has.

CoffeeLover on October 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Remember when he promised not to use Executive Signing Orders to get his way?

Flora Duh on October 16, 2012 at 3:05 PM

No but, apparently, neither does he.

Happy Nomad on October 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Chuck Schick on October 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Resist We Much on October 16, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Don’t forget demanding to know when he will finally leave the nest.

cozmo on October 16, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Resist We Much

OMG…that made me spit out my coffee :) lol

CoffeeLover on October 16, 2012 at 3:10 PM

You start with a refernce to “Labrynth” and I’m hooked!

nazarioj001 on October 16, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Don’t forget demanding to know when he will finally leave the nest.

cozmo on October 16, 2012 at 3:09 PM

You’re right. At 85, she does deserve to finally get to enjoy her golden years. She should be able to enjoy a game of canasta with her friends for once without hearing, “Hey, Mummy! Where’s my Cap’n Crunch?”

Resist We Much on October 16, 2012 at 3:12 PM

0-4? dude, if he were a mom jean wearin’ pitcher then he’d be relieved………..
ted c on October 16, 2012 at 3:05 PM

The only problem is that I think Obama is definitely more of a catcher than a pitcher.

bbinfl on October 16, 2012 at 3:12 PM

CoffeeLover on October 16, 2012 at 3:10 PM

SORRY. That can hurt…especially if it is hot and it goes thru your nose.

Resist We Much on October 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Don’t forget demanding to know when he will finally leave the nest.

cozmo on October 16, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Is that a Big Bird reference?

Happy Nomad on October 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Oops…!

Obama 2010: ‘The buck stops with me’ on security

Seven Percent Solution on October 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM

If they do “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart” next, I’m going on vacation.

Yup.
No more girly-men, Crowder!

itsnotaboutme on October 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM

C. Schick’s Bold Debate prediction for tonight:

Chuck Schick on October 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM

That’s some good stuff right there.

Mitoch55 on October 16, 2012 at 3:21 PM

a good, solid F-minus

I thought del had that trademarked. But I guess for a good cause like the Preezy’s report card you get a pass.

tims472 on October 16, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Crowder is awesome.

Gaze into my crystal ball…..

UltimateBob on October 16, 2012 at 3:25 PM

That video was something, I just don’t know what.

Crowder and Loesch get some good lines in, maybe a future, nah wth was I thinking.

D-fusit on October 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Crowder is awesome.

Gaze into my crystal ball…..

UltimateBob on October 16, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I think YOU’RE awesome. ;)

StevenCrowder on October 16, 2012 at 3:44 PM

“No, I didn’t. Honest… I ran out of gas. I… I had a flat tire. I didn’t have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn’t come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN’T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!”

Barak Heussein Blue

jukin3 on October 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Hey, cut Barry some slack on these green jobs! I mean, he was well-intentioned and he tried. That should count for something. Sure, there were billions of taxpayer dollars thrown away on useless green energy projects – but let’s face it, nobody else could have created those jobs either! //

TarheelBen on October 16, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Democrats won in 2006 and 2008 by fooling voters into believing that Democrats were more fiscally responsible than Republicans.

Of course, that was a lie, and within the first six months of the Obama administration voters knew it had been a lie. That’s why Democrats have been losing the majority of elections to Republicans since November 2009. I see no reason to think that the Republican wins of 2009, 2010, and 2011 should be any less in 2012.

ITguy on October 16, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Budgets are passed by the House of Representatives, passed by the Senate, and signed by the President. Give the majority of the credit/blame to the party which controlled a majority (2+ out of 3) of those three budget-making entities for any given Fiscal Year.

Look at the numbers put out by the White House Office of Management and Budget: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/budget/fy2013/assets/hist01z1.xls

The average FY deficit with a Republican majority FY 1996-2007 was $104 Billion per year.

The average FY deficit with a Democrat majority FY 2008-2012 has been $1,158 Billion per year ($1.158 Trillion)

The average FY deficit with a Democrat majority FY 2008-2012 has been OVER ELEVEN TIMES the size of the average FY deficit with a Republican majority FY 1996-2007!

$1,158 Billion per year ($1.158 Trillion) > 11 Times $104 Billion per year.

Democrats in 2006 and 2008 ran on a platform of “fiscal discipline” and promised “no new deficit spending”.

Instead, they sent deficit spending through the roof.

ITguy on October 16, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Democrats LIE. It’s just what they do.

Here is what Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats promised in 2006 in order to win the 2006 elections and control of Congress:

Over the past decade, the Republican controlled Congress took our nation in the wrong direction. Too many Americans are paying a heavy price for those wrong choices: record costs for energy, health care and education; jobs shipped overseas; and budgets that heap record debt on our children. For millions, the middle-class dream has been replaced by a middle-class squeeze…

Democrats are proposing a New Direction for America…

With integrity, civility and fiscal discipline, our New Direction for America will use commonsense principles to address the aspirations and fulfill the hopes and dreams of all Americans. That is our promise to the American people….

Our federal budget should be a statement of our national values. One of those values is responsibility. Democrats are committed to ending years of irresponsible budget policies that have produced historic deficits. Instead of piling trillions of dollars of debt onto our children and grandchildren, we will restore “Pay As You Go” budget discipline.

Budget discipline has been abandoned by the Bush Administration and its Republican congressional majorities. Congress under Republican control has turned a projected $5.6 trillion 10-year surplus at the end of the Clinton years into a nearly $3 trillion deficit– including the four worst deficits in the history of America. The nation’s debt ceiling has been raised four times in just five years to more than $8.9 trillion. Nearly half of our nation’s record debt is owned by foreign countries including China and Japan. Without a return to fiscal discipline, the foreign countries that make our computers, our clothing and our toys will soon be making our foreign policy. Deficit spending is not just a fiscal problem – it’s a national security issue as well.

Our New Direction is committed to “Pay As You Go” budgeting – no more deficit spending.

And here is what Nancy Pelosi promised on January 4, 2007 when she became Speaker of the House:

After years of historic deficits, this 110th Congress will commit itself to a higher standard: pay-as-you-go, no new deficit spending. Our new America will provide unlimited opportunity for future generations, not burden them with mountains of debt.

- New Speaker Nancy Pelosi, 01/04/2007

Nancy Pelosi was Speaker of the House from January 4, 2007 to January 3, 2011.
How much new debt was created during Pelosi’s 4 years as Speaker?

Over $5.3 TRILLION!

And how much new debt has been created since the Democrats took majority control on January 4, 2007?

Over $7 TRILLION!

How did multiple promises of “pay-as-you-go, no new deficit spending” turn into Trillions and Trillions and Trillions and Trillions and Trillions and Trillions and Trillions of NEW debt?

The answer is simple…

Democrats LIE.

ITguy on October 16, 2012 at 3:59 PM

FY 1996-2007, Republicans held majority control (2+ out of 3) of the three budget-making bodies (House, Senate, and Presidency) and added $4 Trillion to the total national debt over the course of 12 years.

FY 2008-2012, Democrats held majority control (2+ out of 3) of the three budget-making bodies (House, Senate, and Presidency) and added $7 Trillion to the total national debt over the course of just 5 years.

ITguy on October 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM

The pain, the pain. Oh god, the song is now destined to cause me agony every time I hear it in the future.

Snake307 on October 16, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Snake307 on October 16, 2012 at 4:05 PM

It hurts so good. ;)

StevenCrowder on October 16, 2012 at 4:18 PM

The Democrats controlled the Senate between June 2001 and January 2003; i.e., Majority Leader Tom Daschle.

Resist We Much on October 16, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Bravo for Crowder!

MJBrutus on October 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Wow Crowder put some overtime into this one.

Browncoatone on October 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Wow Crowder put some overtime into this one

You have NO idea. ;)

StevenCrowder on October 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Wow Crowder put some overtime into this one.

Browncoatone on October 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Loved it. I had to email the link to my friends, who don’t even like Bowie’s music. Nicely done, Mr. Crowder.

totherightofthem on October 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM

What’s with the David Bowie impersonator? Barack Obama’s Labyrinth? Sorry, Barry, you’ll never be as cute as Jennifer Connelly!

Benedict Nelson on October 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM

LMAO!!! I am SO e-mailing Crowders video to my friends and not-so-friends.

44Magnum on October 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM

LMAO!!! I am SO e-mailing Crowders video to my friends and not-so-friends.

Could these “not-so-friends” be of the liberal persuasion? If so, even better!

StevenCrowder on October 16, 2012 at 6:45 PM

You have NO idea. ;)

StevenCrowder on October 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Keep up the good work, this is really over the top.

Browncoatone on October 16, 2012 at 6:48 PM

E-I-P-C
C-H-G-A eh, too many letters.

Nutstuyu on October 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM

ITguy on October 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Fail.

Nutstuyu on October 16, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Chuck Schick on October 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Because he was bottom to Teh Won’s top??

Nutstuyu on October 16, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Keep up the good work, this is really over the top.

Browncoatone on October 16, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Over the top can be good or bad… but either way, I’ll take it. ;)

StevenCrowder on October 16, 2012 at 7:32 PM

ITguy on October 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Fail.

Nutstuyu on October 16, 2012 at 7:02 PM

How so? Do you doubt the numbers?

I’m no fan of deficits. I’d prefer a balanced budget.

But the fact remains that under majority Democrat control for the last 5 fiscal years, the national debt has gone up OVER FOUR TIMES FASTER under Democrats than it did under Republican majorities the prior 12 fiscal years.

ITguy on October 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM