Poll: Romney leading by a long shot in rural swing counties

posted at 2:01 pm on October 16, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Some quick, non-scientific observations from this Virginia resident: The number of Obama bumper-stickers that I must endure observing whenever I drive around my neighborhood (which is just a stone’s throw from D.C.) is enough to have me gnashing my teeth by the time I reach my destination. Whenever I venture a bit further outside the city, however, that trend changes significantly. Driving south/southwest away from D.C. these past few weekends, it seems like every yard — be it the plot of an upscale country home or a more humble farmhouse — has a Romney/Ryan sign planted out front, and there’s comparatively very little Obama/Biden paraphernalia to be seen. You don’t even have to go that far to see the change; just driving through the woods towards my local shooting range this past weekend, there may have been a few hallmarks of Obama support, but it was pretty much the same story — and I was still very much in northern Virginia.

Again, obviously not scientific, but it corroborates with NPR’s report on a new bipartisan survey of voters residing in the rural areas of swing states (Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia, Wisconsin):

The random cellphone and land line poll of 600 likely rural voters in nine battleground states Oct. 9-11 has Romney at 59 percent among the survey’s respondents. Obama’s support is now down to 37 percent among rural battleground voters, a plunge of 10 points from the actual rural vote in those states four years ago.

“What Republican candidates need to do is to rack up big margins in rural areas in order to offset smaller [Republican] margins in urban and suburban areas,” says Dan Judy of North Star Opinion Research, the Republican polling firm that participated in the survey. …

“It’s a boon to Romney,” says pollster Anna Greenberg of Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research, the Democratic partner in the survey. “It will help him … because, of course, he will lose urban areas by a similar margin. And the suburban areas are still pretty competitive.”

A similar survey last month had Romney at only a 54-to-40 percent margin among rural swing voters, and the pollsters argue that the first presidential debate helped to dissolve the elitist, out-of-touch image the Obama campaign has been pushing and helped to acquaint and familiarize Romney with voters in a way that will have particularly resonated with rural residents. Obama managed to win over a lot of rural voters to his side in 2008, but that’s looking like much more of an uphill battle this time around.

Comments

..guess the ObamaPhone program was an epic fail in the suburbs, eh?

The War Planner on October 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Oh, come on, you’re talking about those pitiful clingers of God and guns.

They don’t count.

They don’t matter.

They have no place in Utopia.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I live in NoVA as well and the dropoff from 2008 Obama stickers to 2012 Obama stickers is a good 50% even here. Better still, nobody wants to talk about the guy, the shameless Obama organizers pretending to be unaffiliated vote registration aides at the Metro stations get the cold shoulder from nearly everybody. I had one try to follow me to my car like a lost puppy.

JeremiahJohnson on October 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Funny, California isn’t a “Swing” anything according to all the pundits and pollsters… Yet… Romney is at +9 with California Independents.

Barack Obama and the Green Revolution Losers…

SWalker on October 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM

The misanthrop is losing the rubes, teh heh.

Schadenfreude on October 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM

HWY 29 to Cville, eh?!

ted c on October 16, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Didn’t McCain only win these voters by a couple points? That’s what’s so intriguing about the results to me, the stark contrast to ’08.

changer1701 on October 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

“Bible-thumpin’, gun-totin’, truck-drivin’, tabacco-consumin’, cousin-humpin’ racist rubes” — Obama

rubes = “knuckleheads” if it’s said by Michelle Obama.

Schadenfreude on October 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Barack Obama and the Green Revolution Losers…

SWalker on October 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM

The problem there is that California has the Dems outnumbering the GOP by an insane amount. It actually resembles those absurd national samples the media keeps using.

Doughboy on October 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

The suburbs and rural areas bore me….
/BHO

I wonder if anywhere near 47% of people are involved….might make a good talking point.

ted c on October 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Here in my rual area, we know liberalism is a fraud.

This administration is:

Reckless
Feckless
Lawless
and
Preposterous.

Let this nightmare be over.

KCsecurity1976 on October 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Ya see! Ya see!

OhEssYouCowboys on October 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

‘Hoos with guns!

love it!

ted c on October 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM

..guess the ObamaPhone program was an epic fail in the suburbs, eh?

The War Planner on October 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM

You gotta have a cell tower for those. LOL! Just kidding. We have a cell tower in NH.

I’ve been saying the same thing, Erika. Romney signs everywhere, empty chairs and anti Obama signs in the back windows of people’s pickups (held in place by a rifle rack in some cases) and cars.

Obama signs, they are very few and far between.

dogsoldier on October 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM

We went to Colorado this summer to visit my family, and I was quite pleasantly surprised at the number of Romney signs/stickers I saw. More Obama stuff in Denver and Boulder, but once you were in the suburbs and especially in the mountain towns (and we went to Vail, Estes Park, Grand Lake) it seemed to be all Romney.

JennM111 on October 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

For Pete’s sake, just do the polling on the range. Romney will win by a landslide earthquake, possibly 100%, sans occasional unionized policeman or two.

Archivarix on October 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

You’ll notice Obama’s not campaigning in Mississippi. Not even where I live, outside of Memphis, do you see very many Obama/Biden stickers. And no yard signs.

kingsjester on October 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Seems pretty standard. The further you get from the cities, the more right the leanings. The cities are going to be left leaners, with few exceptions and the rest will lean right. There’s always exceptions and/or pockets of opposition, but generally speaking, this is pretty normal!
Update for those following:How to take on the Enemy media & Win: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Big problem here in Ill-noise is that Chicago has so many dead people voting, it is impossible for the R’s to carry the state for presidential elections.

BobK on October 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Sidebar:

I live in OKC, and on my walks with my pup, I’ve not seen a sign for either, in any yard.

That’s a 3 mile walk.

But, Okie is the reddest of the red – so I suppose it’s all a given, with a few exceptions.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Raaaaacist bitterclingers!

Natch.

Resist We Much on October 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I’ve been scouring Fairfax and Alexandria lately and have been a bit surprised I haven’t seen more Obama stuff. Met some nice Romney volunteers at the park in Mclean too.

Don’t think I’ve seen any Obama stuff out in Loudoun.

forest on October 16, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Obama signs, they are very few and far between.

dogsoldier on October 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM

You and I must have seen the same truck, ha!

D-fusit on October 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Poll: Romney leading by a long shot in rural swing counties

Yeah, well, the truth is this election is going to be determined by people live in areas where there are tall buildings.

And that’s why I am dubious about Mittens winning, much less leading in the polls.

Bruno Strozek on October 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Passed a pickup truck on Rte 44 in FL on my way home from work the other day. The decal in the rear window said Buck Ofama….lol

BeachBum on October 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Daily Gallup Tracking Poll out: Romney +4, hits 50%, largest lead yet

Remember, this is AFTER Galllup adjusted the non-white vote way up, and AFTER the Biden clown act which all the libtards said would “stop the bleeding”….LOL

Norwegian on October 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Damn Clingers……………….

FlaMurph on October 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Romney’s got this, but don’t forget to actually vote. :)

rollthedice on October 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Bruno Strozek on October 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM

It’s about performance relative to McCain. McCain lost or broke even in many of these counties. Rural surge for Mitt offsets urban Obama voters. That plus the suburbs/exurbs, where Romney also significantly overperforms McCain, can be enough to swing the state.

Missy on October 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM

No – it will be determined by people living in the rings around the tall buildings.

But hey, if Romney can get the rural vote – I’ll take it. Every group helps. Catholics here, rurals there, independents over there, and heck, pretty soon you are talking real money.

Zomcon JEM on October 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM

OT, but I am wondering.

Didn’t Brietbart say they were going to unleash a wave of bad mojo on The Jug Eared Fool this fall?

They’re strangely quiet over there.

BacaDog on October 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Just completed a 5 day, 370 bicycle ride from Columbus, Ohio to Knoxville, TN down US 23.

Once I got out of my neighborhood (which hasn’t voted for a Republican since they voted in George Voinovich for Senator) I didn’t see one single pro-Obama sign the entire route.

Through “Coal Country” (most of KY and the tip of Virginia that I rode through) there were plenty of ANTI-Obama signs. My favorite was one that said:

America
Or
Obama
You Can’t Have Both

joekoday on October 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Romney leading by a long shot in rural swing counties

May as well have just said “still clinging to their guns and religion”

BobMbx on October 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Heartache!

HumpBot Salvation on October 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I’ve said to my friends here in SW MI that Romney signs outnumber Obama at least 4-1.

usedtobeinmich on October 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Problem is, even when added up, there’s lots less voters living in rural areas than in the cities.

And there are way more people on gov subsidy programs, and I don’t mean just Medicare and Social Security, in the cities.

marybel on October 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Really? I’ve seen more Romney signs in Alexandria/Arlington. Quite surprising and even more interesting is the number of Romney bumper stickers that have suddenly appeared.

But my favorite sign of all is not endorsed by any politician. On a large piece of drywall one house on King Street in Alexandria has Vote NO on Socialism! I wish I were that brave a homeowner.

Happy Nomad on October 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Yeah but Obama still has the all important graveyard vote locked up. That’s the vote that swings elections.

Lily on October 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM

usedtobeinmich on October 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM

But isn’t SW MI reliably red? That certainly was the case when I was living in Grand Rapids. When Ann Arbor becomes Romney Country then we may be seeing something significant!

Happy Nomad on October 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM

It’s not the people who vote that count. It’s the people who count the votes.” (Josef Stalin)

acyl72 on October 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM

They’re clinging to their bibles so hard that they can’t see the sheer awesomeness of Emperor Barry.

mudskipper on October 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I drove up and down I-75 in Florida this weekend from SW Florida to Tallahassee. My wife and I were shocked at how many Anti-Obama signs we saw on the side of I-75. Some handmade and others huge billboards paid for by private citizens or outside groups.

I can also tell you that my neighborhood has about 30 signs in yards with only 4 of them being Obama/Biden compared to the rest being Romney/Ryan.

Florida is going Romney!

RonnyTucker on October 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Doughboy on October 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

In California…

Democrats=43%
Republicans=30
Independents=21%
Assorted Fruits and Nuts=6%

Romney +9 with the Independents, think about that…

SWalker on October 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Missy on October 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM

The Margin of Fraud is brutal in Blue Cities.

I don’t see how the Rural Vote trumps that.

Bruno Strozek on October 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

don’t forget to actually vote.

rollthedice on October 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I still think we need to play this as if we are seven points down with three weeks to go. Now is not the time for complacency.

One encouraging thing. Here in the bluest part of Northern Virginia, the Dems were actually out doing door-to-door this weekend trying to drum up Democrat voters. They must have polls showing how bad it is for the rat-eared wonder.

Happy Nomad on October 16, 2012 at 2:33 PM

mudskipper on October 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM

That is why re-education camps are on the agenda for the second term. And just wait until the third term!

Happy Nomad on October 16, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Doughboy on October 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM

California has 12% of population…32% of the Welfare cases. It will never go R.

Oil Can on October 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM

They’re strangely quiet over there.

BacaDog on October 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Maybe it was that campaign finance “scandal” that completely fizzled out.

UltimateBob on October 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Happy Nomad on October 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I drive on King Street all the time. I want to see that sign!

I’ve observed all the Romney/Ryan signs as well. More of them are getting put up as 11/6 gets nearer!

22044 on October 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Gallup 50/46 Romney

Hello trolls.

faraway on October 16, 2012 at 2:37 PM

The Margin of Fraud is brutal in Blue Cities.

I don’t see how the Rural Vote trumps that.

Bruno Strozek on October 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Cheating in elections will only end when both sides do it. As long as it’s mostly democratics cheating, don’t expect democratics in government and the courts to do anything about it.

slickwillie2001 on October 16, 2012 at 2:37 PM

The Margin of Fraud is brutal in Blue Cities.

I don’t see how the Rural Vote trumps that.

Bruno Strozek on October 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Did you read what I wrote? It is the rural vote plus the all important and much larger suburb/exurb vote that makes the difference – not the rural vote alone.

We beat the margin of fraud in 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2010 we can do it again in 2012.

I suspect nothing will cure you of your Eeyore problem between now and the election, though.

Missy on October 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Obama doesn’t care about those people anyway.

Washington Nearsider on October 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM

“What Republican candidates need to do is to rack up big margins in rural areas in order to offset smaller [Republican Democrat] margins in urban and suburban areas,” says Dan Judy of North Star Opinion Research, the Republican polling firm that participated in the survey. …

Doesn’t he mean Democrat margins in urban areas?

The problem is, there aren’t very many people in the rural areas. Most of the swing states have large urban areas that go heavily Democrat, surrounded by suburbs that can go either way, and rural areas that are heavily Republican.

The key to winning these states is winning the suburbs by a solid margin, where there are enough voters to offset losses in major cities, if urban losses could be kept down to no worse than 40/60.

This was the Scott Walker method of winning the recall election in Wisconsin. Milwaukee and Madison each gave Barrett margins of over 100,000 votes, but Walker racked up margins of several tens of thousands of votes in each of several suburban counties, plus margins of a few thousand votes each in many rural counties. But Walker couldn’t have won without winning the ‘burbs, where some counties gave him over 70% of the vote.

The most extreme example of an urban-dominated swing state is Nevada, where over 80% of the population lives in Clark County (Las Vegas). Romney needs to win the suburban vote, in order to offset losses in Las Vegas, so that maybe the rural counties put him “over the top”.

Let’s face it–Romney will never win Fort Lauderdale in FL, Cleveland in OH, Philly in PA, or Detroit in MI. But if he can limit his losses in the cities, and win big in the suburbs and rural areas, Romney can win those states.

Steve Z on October 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM

They must have polls showing how bad it is for the rat-eared wonder.

Happy Nomad on October 16, 2012 at 2:33 PM

..this appellation always brings forth a chuckle. I grow especially mirthful when I see a shot of this Crapsack™ from the back and he actually looks like a Ramirez Caricature.

The War Planner on October 16, 2012 at 2:39 PM

California has 12% of population…32% of the Welfare cases. It will never go R.

Oil Can on October 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM

You are aware that California contribute 16 BILLION dollars more to the federal coffers every years then it receives back, right? 1/6th of the ENTIRE US Economy is no small thing to blow off and surrender without a fight.

SWalker on October 16, 2012 at 2:40 PM

faraway on October 16, 2012 at 2:37 PM

They’ve been MIA since this morning. The verbose one hasn’t even been around today.

kingsjester on October 16, 2012 at 2:42 PM

There’s also this. From the end of the article:

Both Judy and Greenberg agree that Obama’s rural battleground plunge could hurt Democrats who are seeking or trying to hold on to U.S. House and Senate seats in those same states.

“In these swing states, there are a lot of very, very close Senate races,” Judy says. “Whoever is able to prevail in these swing states will likely bring along enough Senate candidates to give his party control of the Senate.”

Greenberg adds that Romney’s gargantuan lead in rural counties in battleground states makes it harder for Democrats to win Senate and Congressional races in rural states.

“It still can be done, and there are lots of really solid Democratic campaigns in these areas,” Greenberg says. “But it obviously makes it that much harder to win in those races.”

Missy on October 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I traveled a 700 mile round trip this wekend through GA, TN and KY…I saw 1 Obama yard sign, no bumper stickers at all!!! As a matter of fact about the only Obama stickers I’ve seen around here are from ’08! I saw dozens and dozens of Romney/Ryan yard signs. No bumperstickers but the one I have on my own car.

DanaSmiles on October 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Well, shucks… if he weren’t so danged all slick and city-fied lookin’, I’d make like that there Hollywood Samuel Jackson feller an’ say I was a-votin’ fer Mitt ‘cuz he looks like me. Don’ t a-git me wrong none- I am a-gonna vote fer that apostate Morman banker.

But only ‘cuz I’d like fer to be able ta keep on buyin’ bullets fer my Winchester. An’ the mine gotta stay open fer that ta happen.

M240H on October 16, 2012 at 2:46 PM

SWalker on October 16, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I like California. My brother lives there. Hopefully there are solutions to get it back on track, but I can’t think of any as long as the liberals have all the power in Congress & the state government.

22044 on October 16, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Everyone practice your snow dance. We’re gonna get Bishop to lead practice:

Laura in Maryland on October 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Candy Crowley never signed on to any rules that either the Campaigns or the Presidential Debate Commission agreed to. She fully intends to interject into this TownHall Debate. I just heard this on Cspan.

I am in a non-political community. Never saw any signs in all the years I’ve been here. Today I saw my first political sign in the community. It was for Romney/Ryan.

CoffeeLover on October 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Missy on October 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Are you trying to ask me for out on a date, because you’re on the right track…

Bruno Strozek on October 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Big cities = http://t.co/yGQwFfX8

pambi on October 16, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Are you trying to ask me for out on a date, because you’re on the right track…

Bruno Strozek on October 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Missy on October 16, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Romney 50 Barry 46 in today’s Gallup tracking poll with LV.

bayview on October 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM

SWalker on October 16, 2012 at 2:40 PM

22044 on October 16, 2012 at 2:48 PM

As with all socialist societies, reality will eventually catch up with us here. When it does, their will be much wailing and gnashing of liberal teeth, and then the liberals will move from California to someplace they haven’t ruined financially, like Texas… BWAHAHAHAH………

SWalker on October 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Spent 4 days in Fl. this weekend. My brain hurts! The only good thing about the people I talked to, They will not be voting.

Florida is going Romney!

RonnyTucker on October 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I saw this too.

Barred on October 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM

SWalker on October 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

A +9 with independents works out to be 54.5% to 45.5%. That means Romney picks up slightly over half of those 22% of independents. 11.445% to be exact. GOP at 30% (if he holds all) plus the 11.5% from the independents equals 41.5% of the vote. How is California in play?

Lets make some assumptions based on voting habits
20% of GOP (liberals) vote for Obama. Subtract 6% from Romney’s totals. He is now down to 35.5%.
20% of Dems (center/center right) vote for Romney. Add 8.4% to Romney’s total. He is up to 43.9%.

That is still a loss. The only way he is in play in California is if he takes roughly 90% of the independent vote and a major defection amongst the dems occur. Do you see that occurring?

chemman on October 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Bitter clinger vote breaking for Romney…
Good news rides a fast horse…

Khun Joe on October 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Bitter clinger vote breaking for Romney…
Good news rides a fast horse…

Khun Joe on October 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I like that as a yard sign-

Bitter Clingers for Romney

Happy Nomad on October 16, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I live in PA. I am incredulous at the number of Romney/Ryan signs I’ve seen, and the lack of Obama signs. I live in the suburbs. It wasn’t like this in 2000, 2004, or 2008.

Not scientific, but whatever.

goflyers on October 16, 2012 at 4:00 PM

In Delaware of all states, the Romney/Ryan signs outnumber the Obama/Biden signs at least 8 to 1. Even the Bidenland area around I95 and New Castle, Romney/Ryan signs seem to hold a slim majority. And, I kid you not, the place around my home in the Dover area definitely has more Gary Johnson and Jill Stein signs than O/B. With uncle Joe on the ticket, however, probably no amount of yard signs will swing Delaware away from the Donkeys, or will it?

naleph on October 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM

The Margin of Fraud is brutal in Blue Cities.

I don’t see how the Rural Vote trumps that.

Bruno Strozek on October 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Really, that brutal, huh…and how do you measure said ‘brutality’… can you document this allegation, or point to links that do just that?

jimver on October 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I live in a samll town in WV. No way in he#* we will be going for Obama. Still, I have found it interesting that there is one yard in town that has absolutely every Democratic yard sign available – except for one. 15 signs, but no Obama.

humdinger on October 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

The Margin of Fraud is brutal in Blue Cities.

I don’t see how the Rural Vote trumps that.

Bruno Strozek on October 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

jimver on October 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Do some research on how the Father of All Daleys (Richard) Stole Chicago for JFK in 1960. Legendary stuff.

To make a long story short, after that election a Fed prosecutor found evidence of hundreds of Democrat Party operatives gaming the system, and actually brought charges against many of them. But only a few were ever convicted, because Activist Democrat Judges threw out most of the cases.

And many years later, in 1982, Chicago again became famous for legendary voter/vote fraud, with 100,000 stolen votes in one election alone.

The Heritage Foundation has covered that story in detail:

Del Dolemonte on October 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM

It is quite a change. At this time in 2008, I was in Southern VA on business and there were Obama signs everywhere. Given that Southern VA is a pretty conservative place, I knew at that moment that McCain was done, This year, totally the opposite. Here in the RDU area, the yard signs are 3-1 or more for Romney. As this is a pretty mixed area, with a lot of moderates and liberals that is a surprise.

The Opinionator on October 16, 2012 at 4:46 PM

“Thank God I’m a country gal”

/sing along